PDA

View Full Version : Ruck Option: Meesen?

Bulldog Revolution
21-06-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21941009-21543,00.html

Adelaide have many options in the ruck going forward Biglands, Hudson, Griffin and Maric

We dont have anywhere near as many

Is John Meesen a potential Bulldog Target?

Go_Dogs
21-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I think he could be, but I think the Crows are still quite keen on him, as long as he can lift the standard of his performances over the remainder of the season. He's potentially on our shopping list though, and Adelaide tack watchers were certainly talking up his pre-season this year before he was cut down with injury. He still looks a worthwhile prospect for mine, and has played quite a bit of seniors at Norwood last year prior to his injury.

IMO I think a potential trade involving perhaps Meesen and Faulkner is a possibility.

Dry Rot
21-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Wonder if he has a dodgy knee = bad form?

Dunno if Faulkner will be worth any more than Birss on the open market.

Go_Dogs
21-06-2007, 05:58 PM
It wasn't too serious of an injury when he did it, and he's had ample time to recover, so I shouldn't think that his knee is dodgey to the point of restricting his form at this stage. The reason I suggest Faulkner is basically just on the logic of 'send an SA boy home, and get a Vic lad sent back'. Also, Faulkner was a relatively high draft selection (albeit second round), and certainly still has a chance of making it, much like Meesen. But in essence DR, you are right in that he won't carry much trade weight, however Meesen won't carry much either, in fact arguably less as he has never even played an AFL game before.

Mofra
21-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Faulkner for Meeson seems a consensus - you'd think Faulkner playing well for Werribee couldn't hurt, when you see Hudson is their no 1 ruck this year.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this & the draft - if we don't trade for Meeson, surely we'd look at either Cordy or another young ruckman?

Bulldog Revolution
22-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Faulkner for Meeson seems a consensus - you'd think Faulkner playing well for Werribee couldn't hurt, when you see Hudson is their no 1 ruck this year.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this & the draft - if we don't trade for Meeson, surely we'd look at either Cordy or another young ruckman?

I presume Cordy is Brians son?

Am I right in thinking he is playing for the Geelong Falcons?

What position is he? Is he doing anything?

Bulldog Revolution
22-06-2007, 11:21 AM
It wasn't too serious of an injury when he did it, and he's had ample time to recover, so I shouldn't think that his knee is dodgey to the point of restricting his form at this stage. The reason I suggest Faulkner is basically just on the logic of 'send an SA boy home, and get a Vic lad sent back'. Also, Faulkner was a relatively high draft selection (albeit second round), and certainly still has a chance of making it, much like Meesen. But in essence DR, you are right in that he won't carry much trade weight, however Meesen won't carry much either, in fact arguably less as he has never even played an AFL game before.

Its a solid logic, if Faulkner can show something in the second half I think the Adelaide teams will have some interest, but not for an enormous price.

Faulkner actually looks this year like he is starting to turn into a professional - its a shame for a player when that happens 4 odd years into his career - but Its a lot to expect every 18 year old to have the professionalism of a Boyd, Cross, Morris or West isn't it.

A change of scenery at this stage of his career would either make or break him

Sockeye Salmon
22-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I presume Cordy is Brians son?

Am I right in thinking he is playing for the Geelong Falcons?

What position is he? Is he doing anything?

Ayce Cordy is indeed Brian's son, but he's playing school footy rather than TAC. He's a very skinny 200cm ruckman but I wouldn't get your hopes up about him as a f/s selection.

There are lots of ruckmen considered draftable this year.

Sockeye Salmon
22-06-2007, 11:34 AM

Meesen is still in Norwood's reserves, not even named on an extended bench for a Sunday game despite Norwood having two injured players and another player dropped from the squad.

Neil Craig's little outburst earlier this week about Meesen playing for his future makes me think they are running out of patience with him but we shopped Faulkner around last year and no-one was interested.

It would be an ideal trade IMO but I doubt it will come off. Richmond, Carlton or St. Kilda will trump us.

Go_Dogs
22-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I posed the question in the Adelaide Board on BF re: Faulkner and wasn't met with a great reception.

Can you please actually comment when you have a clue about the situation? You claim Meesen is “struggling along in the SANFL reserves”? Seriously, get a clue. You want to know the REASON why he’s playing reserves? He’s just come back from a severe knee injury that kept him out for 3 months. His first game back he played a half a game, in his second game back he had 18 kicks, 9 marks, 13 hitouts and was named 3rd best. So is he struggling in the reserves, or is it that you don’t have the slightest idea about the situation?

And let’s asses the trade you have proposed, okay? Faulkner is 23 years of age, and has played a total of 18 games. He’s a goal sneak but other than his AFL debut he hasn’t kicked more than 1 goal in a game. As a matter of fact, he’s averaged half a goal per game in his career. How pathetic is that? And then this year in round 9 vs Sydney he finally got another chance to prove his worth, and he was atrocious. He barely put in an effort and looked far from dangerous.

and my response:

I'm an Adelaide based Norwood supporter, so I'm quite aware of his injuries, and the fact that he was having an excellent pre-season by all reports prior to sustaining his injury. My statement probably was a little more negative towards Meesen than the situation actually is in reality, but I was trying to make a point. A lot of the supporters on here are looking at his value through rose-coloured glasses, and I think realistically he isn't worth as much as many in this thread seem to believe.

Cam has been starved of opportunity, and if you had the slightest idea about the situation you'd know that he received very little game time in his match this year, he was playing out of the backline and really looked to be running around without much purpose, something which I don't believe is Cam's fault. He's very determined to make it, he's been working hard, and has had his first injury free year since he's been on our list. He's knocking on the door most weeks, and will probably get more opportunities as the season develops.

Ti's all good, but just think some of you here are being a bit precious. I wasn't trying to troll, or anything else and I think some of your reactions have been a bit disappointing. Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the season, and let's hope Meesen has a good weekend.

Rose-coloured glasses a lot of these Crows supporters. :rolleyes: Haha.

LostDoggy
22-06-2007, 12:47 PM
If we could manufatcure a trade of Meeson for Faulkner we should be rapped.
IMO A young tall ruck is worth more than a dim a dozen small. Even with a supposed strong draft of rucks, these rucks will need 2/3 years before they are ready. I don't know a lot about his quality but with his experience in the system he is going to offer us more than Faulkner could.

LostDoggy
22-06-2007, 12:48 PM
What about a deal involving the Eagle for Meeson?

Go_Dogs
22-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think the club would trade Eagleton, nor would he want to leave the Dogs. Eagleton would certainly command more value than just Meesen too IMO, and don't forget he's only 28.

Bulldog Revolution
22-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Ayce Cordy is indeed Brian's son, but he's playing school footy rather than TAC. He's a very skinny 200cm ruckman but I wouldn't get your hopes up about him as a f/s selection.

There are lots of ruckmen considered draftable this year.

Cheers SS

That rings a bell now - does he have another year of TAC eligibility?

And doesn't the new f/s guidelines come in?

Could we get him with a rookie pick if that was what he was rated?

On a seperate note the AFL are stuffing things up by tinkering with this f/s - they should let clubs use their lowest picks.

Mofra
24-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't think the club would trade Eagleton, nor would he want to leave the Dogs. Eagleton would certainly command more value than just Meesen too IMO, and don't forget he's only 28.
Crow fans seem fairly keen on keeping Meeson.
I think we should look at rookie-ing a maturish VFL player - Fanning played well against us and would be good insurance against injury.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Crow fans seem fairly keen on keeping Meeson.
I think we should look at rookie-ing a maturish VFL player - Fanning played well against us and would be good insurance against injury.

More about loyalty to one of there own and the fact that he was a first round pick.

Neil Craig didn't exactly give him the same endorsement.

To be honest, I've never seen him play either, but he's big, a Victorian who might want to go home (ie. gettable), young and three years ago all the blokes who should know thought he was good.

mjp
25-06-2007, 04:48 PM
...and three years ago all the blokes who should know thought he was good.

Terry Wallace theory. I generally concur with this idea, but ruckman are such projections it really is hard to tell.

Bulldog Revolution
19-07-2007, 03:45 PM
recent news - could be the crows trying to keep his trade value up

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22093135-21544,00.html

Go_Dogs
19-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Well, he's finally progressed to playing seniors for Norwood the last few weeks, which I guess would be pleasing for them, not that it's really any surprise as Norwood has no outstanding ruck and Messen was doing the league's rucks for most of last year. Don't think it's so much trying to 'push his trade value up' although, given it's the Adelaide media, I wouldn't be surprised.

southerncross
19-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I think the Crows would want a first round selection for him but it's too much. I also don't think Eade wants pure ruckman and prefers the mobile options like Darcy. Lachlan Henderson is one of the better forward/ruckman in the draft this year and might be worth our first round selection.

Unless the Crows want a late 2nd round pick for him or someone like Faulkner I don't I would chase after him.