PDA

View Full Version : Coon Dog

Ghost Dog
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
How did everyone rate Cooney last night?

No one has really commented much on his game.

21 disposals, and 63 dream team points.
While he had lower possessions than others, I feel that he made some telling decisions in the last quarter.

Peter Hanlon in The Age comments " The old hands weren't bad either, James McDonald shutting down Adam Cooney, Cameron Bruce the mother hen to the young brood."

IMO this is not quite correct. He had 21 possessions; that doesn't rate as a shutting out for me.
I feel that when it counted, he used the ball quite well and has been underrated in the forums and press this morning.

What's your view?

Go_Dogs
08-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Seemed to really get involved late in the game when the contest heated up a bit.

Wasn't his best night, but the conditions didn't really suit him. Still a very important ball winner though, and when he really cranked up his effort he was an important player towards the end. Expect more from him than what we got last night, but he's been tracking fairly well IMO.

Bulldog4life
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I certainly didn't think that Coons was that bad. Did a lot of inside bullocking work as well as outside. I was close to putting him in the best players. Some reporters mark players of Coons standing too hard in my opinion.

Stefcep
08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Not bad last night. I reckon if it were anyone else he would have been assessed more favourably. But this is Adam Cooney, No 1 draft pick, Brownlow medallist, in the prime of his career where he should be break games open ala Ablett. And he's not.

azabob
08-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Not bad last night. I reckon if it were anyone else he would have been assessed more favourably. But this is Adam Cooney, No 1 draft pick, Brownlow medallist, in the prime of his career where he should be break games open ala Ablett. And he's not.

Not a happy camper are we this morning Stefcep?

Ghost Dog
08-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Cooney is more of a kicking player.
2010 season so far

97 kicks ( Ablett 71 )
87 Handballs ( Ablett 107 ) ( source http://finalsiren.com )

So while he does not tend to take players on one on one like ablett, he is still getting plenty of ball. He is traveling pretty well IMO.

Doc26
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Cooney wore a tight tag as expected but was still more than serviceable. Although his influence did diminish at times his SC / DT points IMO were undervalued particularly when the game was tight. Probably ended up in our best 6 - 7 for the night.

The Coon Dog
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Meh, I thought this thread was about me!!

Agree with the OP, Cooney got some vital touches/clearences in the last quarter.

Stefcep
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Not a happy camper are we this morning Stefcep?

No not at all. After 35 years (I know some here are more than that) of supporting this club I believe the time is NOW. I think people are actually looking to find positives, in the general level of play, our skill level, the overall attitude of the players, given the opponent, IMO there were none. Last night was a huge disappointment.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
To win a game, two goals down with three minutes to go, regardless of what happened in the first half of the game, in modern footy is an achievement. We got the four points and some valuable experience, showing we have a bit of 'steel' when the chips are down. That's gotta be good! Nobody is forgetting the errors and fumbles but it doesn't take away from the looks on the players faces when the final siren went. Made me feel good. SOOONNSS OFF THE WEEEESST

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't think he had an influence on the game and was beaten by Mcdonald, Was not terrible just a nothing night for his standards, Don't think the conditions suit him

Remi Moses
08-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Like most he is floating in and out of games.We've got to many players not contributing and out of form,needs to improve rapidly or a serious wake up call will occur next week!!!!

Scorlibo
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
No not at all. After 35 years (I know some here are more than that) of supporting this club I believe the time is NOW. I think people are actually looking to find positives, in the general level of play, our skill level, the overall attitude of the players, given the opponent, IMO there were none. Last night was a huge disappointment.

That's fair enough, sometimes I too am disappointed that I can't find positives with our side a little easier, and tbh I thought this would be the season where we would come out and prove ourselves the heavyweight of the competition by achieving a great win/loss ratio ala Geelong and St Kilda last year.

Coons can do so much more than he did last night, even though he wasn't all that bad. I hope he demolishes Sydney next week in similar fashion to 2008. He has only kicked 2 goals this year, and has gone goalless in 6 of the 7 matches. For mine, this is the greatest concern because at his best he will hurt the opposition going forward and on the burst inside fifty.

Flamethrower
08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Junior McDonald did a good job for most of the night, but when Cooney got it he didn't waste it, his hands were good when others around him were coughing it up, and he was influential in the outcome of the game. In years gone by Coons would have had not influence had he received a hard tag like that, so it just goes to show he is now prepared to work much harder than he did in the past.

Rocket praised him for this in the postgame review.

bornadog
08-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Heard Eade praise him for lifting in the last quarter and helping us get over the line. Total disposals can be deceiving, just look at last week where he had 36 disposals, but how effective were they.

The one thing I don't like about his game is when he just slams the ball onto his foot and kicks it down the ground to no one.

BulldogBelle
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Speaking of Adam Cooney...he will be on "Before the Game" on C10 soon.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 08:02 PM
He's a funny man The Coon Dog!

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Speaking of Adam Cooney...he will be on "Before the Game" on C10 soon.

He was good I thought... has a good sense of humour...

alwaysadog
09-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Meh, I thought this thread was about me!!.

I did too and I wondered what devilment you had gotten up to.

Ozza
09-05-2010, 09:40 AM
As others have said - he got some vital touches - and as usual - when Coons got it - we looked pretty dangerous. McDonald held onto him a fair bit at the stoppages - so he was unlucky not to get a few frees also. I think he's coping fairly well with the hard tag.