PDA

View Full Version : Giansiracusa

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 12:57 PM
What are peoples thoughts on Gia now? Three weeks seem a long time in football but he has been very very good for us, seems to be doing the hard stuff, and doing it well.

I think he has really stepped up his game in the last three weeks. I had my doubts on him as captain, but he is really starting to sway me.

Are we seeing the emergence of our next captain? Is being the captain doing what it has done for Maxwell?

I thought id never say it but after the last three weeks i think Gia would be a very good captain. I know he's not there yet but from what i have seen lately i think we are starting to see what the club has seen all along. If he continues this form he could very easily be AA this year

So what are other peoples thoughts?

Bulldog Revolution
08-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I think he is doing exactly what we thought he could

I think he hasn't consistently had enough of an impact but clearly over the last few weeks he has been

The challenge is to keep it up

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
He's been really good in recent weeks, I'd still have Boyd ahead for captain though.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Often, players are judged more on their errors than what they do well.
Even if a player does 6 great things, it can be forgotten by one error.
I have seen the last few games via TV, which gives a bit of a different perspective.
I feel he did better last night and was good the way he rounded up the players.
Well done Gia, keep it up.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Think he is loving his new midfield role

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Killing it in Supercoach!

Gia has always been an elite talent, and but for injuries, could have played a lot more in the middle. He has some similarities to a Joel Corey, able to rack up the numbers in the middle and distribute with class. Maybe we need him in there more now that there seems to be a paucity of class in our clearance work.

But for one notable moment last week, he has been very good in the last few weeks -- if he can finish off his great work with a few goals that he is capable of, and KICK those crucial sealers, we would be well on our way to winning the flag.

Sockeye Salmon
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
16 contested possesions last night.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM
16 contested possesions last night.

Definitely elite clearance numbers there.

Have we robbed Peter to pay Paul though? We don't have anywhere near the same class going into our 50 with Gia not playing that role as much as before.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Have we robbed Peter to pay Paul though? We don't have anywhere near the same class going into our 50 with Gia not playing that role as much as before.

I think its hard to say atm, becuase of the games we have played in the last two weeks. The saints game was a flood, and the Melbourne game very wet.

I think the next three weeks will give better indications.

bornadog
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Gia has played well in all games this season, he has really stepped up and for once has not had injuries to contend with. Supporters judge him harshly, and one error and they are calling for his head. We have always known he has the ability but now he is starting to become more consistent.

chef
08-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Probably in our best 3 players so far this year.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Having missed the last 3 games by way of being on hols in northern NSW and only picking up scratchy Melbourne radio for the game, Gia seems to have featured a great deal in the commentary. He appears to be enjoying his role as Captain, and I think it's great to see him step up and lead from the front - well done Guido :D

Go_Dogs
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Has been very good the past few weeks in Boyd's absence as he was again on Friday night, and is obviously enjoying getting his hands on the ball more often.

I feel we must continue to play him in this role, as he is still able to get the ball in the forward half and help set up play. I sort of disagree with what Lantern has said, as I'd much prefer Gia is getting his hands on the ball 30 times a game than the 15-20 odd he was getting playing primarily as a half forward.

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Hes on gameday in a couple of minutes....

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I have no problems with Gia except for the fact we have to many of his type in the side. Highly skilled but slow.

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 01:01 PM
He has been fantastic.
As others have already noticed, his hardness in the contest floored me on Friday night.
Champion.

stefoid
11-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Does his best work in the midfield.

comrade
11-05-2010, 07:17 PM

The loss of Ward and Picken (and Reid to an extent) has meant we've had to rely on guys like Cooney, Griffen and Gia for the grunt, rather than finishing off the hard work.

No wonder we've looked sluggish at times. Once the injured guys return in the second half of the year, our ball movement will be much improved.

LostDoggy
12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
The loss of Ward and Picken (and Reid to an extent) has meant we've had to rely on guys like Cooney, Griffen and Gia for the grunt, rather than finishing off the hard work.

No wonder we've looked sluggish at times. Once the injured guys return in the second half of the year, our ball movement will be much improved.

Exactly. There are usually quite specific reasons for how a team is playing, so it's interesting how often fans and the media tend to generalise with non-sequitors: "they have four players over 30, so they must be slower", or "they look to have lost the spark over the pre-season" etc.

In such an even competition, one or two little things to do with structure or personnel ie. injuries can be magnified very quickly.

Cyberdoggie
12-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Couldn't be more spot on.

We don't have many tough inside midfielders, Boyd back in will help but we are a different side without Ward, Picken and even Reid.

Desipura
12-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Couldn't be more spot on.

We don't have many tough inside midfielders, Boyd back in will help but we are a different side without Ward, Picken and even Reid.
As tough as he is, it is a bit premature to say we miss Reid or are a different side with him in. The guy has only played 5 games so it is not as if he has been playing enough games to warrant being missed.

comrade
12-05-2010, 08:58 PM
As tough as he is, it is a bit premature to say we miss Reid or are a different side with him in. The guy has only played 5 games so it is not as if he has been playing enough games to warrant being missed.

I think CD was referring more to the fact that having a hard body like Reid in the side, despite his in-experience, would release someone like Cooney or Griffen and help our midfield structure.

Mofra
13-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Reid believes he is a senior player despite his inexperience. He would have more games under his belt anyway if he played for a different club - has been unlucky with selection a couple of times due to the strength of the playing list.

Grantysghost
13-05-2010, 11:06 AM
His first half of the game against the Crows was incredible, best i have seen him play. His endurance is not elite though, and struggled in the second half. Hopefully with more time in there he can really develop into a match winning mid.

Agree with the supercoach comment - making up for Bazza in my team! :)