PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Hahn - Its Time to Go

Jasper
08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
In the now immortal words of the Great Gretel Killeen....

Mitchell Hahn needs to make way for others. My main reaons are below:

1 - Barry Hall, Barry and Mitch play similar bullocking games at a similar pace. Barry though is bigger and far better.
2 - Jarrad Grant - Offers Mitch's defensive pressure (but with pace, a tank and chasing), while offering clean hands and a fast leading option (unlike Mitch)
3 - In high pressure games, Mitch all too often goes missing (see any final against Geelong), and worse he makes costly errors, see his critical decision in the St Kilda game that resulted in a turnover and momentum swing. See his fumbling and turnover against the Pies in the one pointer last year that resulted in the Dale Thomas goal. See his poor kicking for goal under pressure. See his blind panicked kick to no-one against Melbourne last night and his miss of an easy shot for goal (did anyone think he would kick it?)
4 - Mitchell lacks composure, skill, decision making and clean hands under pressure (unlike Grant who played a key role in winning the game last night with clean hands, cool goal kicking and strong defensive pressure - his last effort resulted in the Griffen goal).
5 - We cannot carry Hall, Johnson and Hahn's lack of speed/defensive pressure (Hahn's lack of speed, Johnson's poor lateral movement when trying to lay a tackle) in the forward line.
6 - Hahn's opponent will zone off him with comfort to double team Hall, our players don't play through him well enough (I would suggest because they don't have faith in him) and when they do, he fails to get possession or kick the goals to make his opponent accountable.

Frankly, Hahn has let us down time and again in big games and with Hall in the team his bullocking role is played by Hall, but better. And Grant now offers far more with his defensive pressure and cleaner hands.

Mitch thanks for your service, but really you should only be picked to play the role that Hall plays if/when Hall gets injured or suspended.

Scorlibo
08-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly sorry Kelvinator. Mitch is still an important member of our forward line, and I would go as far as suggesting that he is the best one on one player at the club, his ability to win a contest with clever body positioning and awareness is second to none.

Even last night, when he didn't have a great game, he managed 6 inside fifties from just 12 touches. In the two games before last night he was in our top bunch of players. Unfortunately people are just too quick to jump on him on the back of one or two bad performances. I think he still has a lot to offer.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I disagree. His role in blocking and providing support is really important. watch him have an influence in Sydney

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/news.php?type=player&firstname=Mitch&surname=Hahn

Here, the stats confirm, more hot than not is our Mitch.

wb_age
08-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Same could be said about Hall, when we're not winning the ball cleanly out of the middle and delivering t lace out or when opposition put extra numbers in the backline he has been completely useless!

If we improve up the ground and have a consistant forward set up we can get away with both, otherwise you would select neither based on current form.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-05-2010, 04:28 PM
These people who are so bloody quick to want to push players into retirement are beginning to give me the shits:mad::mad::mad:...get off their backs just for 5 mins for god sake

bornadog
08-05-2010, 05:28 PM
These people who are so bloody quick to want to push players into retirement are beginning to give me the shits:mad::mad::mad:...get off their backs just for 5 mins for god sake

I like the way Kelvinator has given his reasons for his opinion and if anyone disagrees, they should argue with some substance and not with emotion.

Hahn was shown wanting last night with the pace of the young Melbourne legs, but against some opposition, like last week, his style can be handy. 28 disposals against the Saints and only a handful last night.

Flamethrower
08-05-2010, 05:28 PM
You sound like the Collingwood supporters who were calling for the head of Dale Thomas after the semi final against Adelaide last year, when Malthouse gave him a task and he sacrificed his own game to help disrupt the Crows' gameplan which led to a Pie win.

Unless you are amongst the inner sanctum of the match committee, and know the precise role of each player, it is fraught with danger to criticise a player on statistics alone.

The Underdog
08-05-2010, 05:40 PM
My biggest disappointment with Mitch last night was at times he appeared to give up on the chase very quickly. Forward pressure should be a huge part of his game but at times he looked a little disinterested, not Mitch-like at all. I actually wondered whether he was not 100%.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
My biggest disappointment with Mitch last night was at times he appeared to give up on the chase very quickly. Forward pressure should be a huge part of his game but at times he looked a little disinterested, not Mitch-like at all. I actually wondered whether he was not 100%.

Good point Underdog. There were a couple others who dont put in too hard for the chase. Josh Hill and Ryan Hargrave

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I like the way Kelvinator has given his reasons for his opinion and if anyone disagrees, they should argue with some substance and not with emotion.

Hahn was shown wanting last night with the pace of the young Melbourne legs, but against some opposition, like last week, his style can be handy. 28 disposals against the Saints and only a handful last night.

Totally agree with you there.

I have nothing views that I think are negative or positive as long as logical reasons are provided.

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with the general idea that there may be others better/better suited to the roles he's played. But realistically, are they gonna pay him to play in the twos for the rest of the year? IMO, they'll try and extract anything good out of him.

AndrewP6
08-05-2010, 09:06 PM

True, but the more worrying thing for me is that he seemed to have company in that regard.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
you sound like the collingwood supporters who were calling for the head of dale thomas after the semi final against adelaide last year, when malthouse gave him a task and he sacrificed his own game to help disrupt the crows' gameplan which led to a pie win.

Unless you are amongst the inner sanctum of the match committee, and know the precise role of each player, it is fraught with danger to criticise a player on statistics alone.

here, here!!!!!!

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
You sound like the Collingwood supporters who were calling for the head of Dale Thomas after the semi final against Adelaide last year, when Malthouse gave him a task and he sacrificed his own game to help disrupt the Crows' gameplan which led to a Pie win.

here, here!!!!!!

Amazing how mindless negativity is smashed here (justifiably) but mindless positivity is OK.

So what are we meant to do guys? Either praise selections or assume that a player who is seemingly in poor form is actually playing a stealth like super secret role devised by our MC?

I'll KISS

Mindless positivity= bad
Mindless negativity= bad

Why is he wrong about Hahn? What do you actually think Hahn brings to the side to warrant his spot in the 22?

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 09:55 PM
BTW I actually think Hahn had a good game against the Saints and think he will suit Sydney's style next week. Assuming he is fit (I think his game has a very small margin for error and should only be played when he is the practical version of 100%) I would definitely have him in the side ahead of Stack.

lemmon
08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
BTW I actually think Hahn had a good game against the Saints and think he will suit Sydney's style next week. Assuming he is fit (I think his game has a very small margin for error and should only be played when he is the practical version of 100%) I would definitely have him in the side ahead of Stack.

Blasphemy ;)

In all seriousness though to retain his spot he must continue to apply scoreboard pressure. He doesn't provide much else to the side except for his defensive pressure, which is now being made obsolete by his lack of pace. He must continue to provide an option whether it be on the lead or taking contested marks as well as making the most of the opportunities at goal when they present.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Blasphemy ;)

In all seriousness though to retain his spot he must continue to apply scoreboard pressure. He doesn't provide much else to the side except for his defensive pressure, which is now being made obsolete by his lack of pace. He must continue to provide an option whether it be on the lead or taking contested marks as well as making the most of the opportunities at goal when they present.

:) I really should post in that thread under a different name!

I don't rate Hahn very highly (respect and admire what he has done for the club though). His defensive pressure is fantastic when the ball is in his immediate area but his body makes it very difficult to get to these hot spots.

I would have him in the 22 next week mainly due to the opposition. His last two games against the Saints have been good, I think he really suits that stoppage style. One potential danger though is the legion of HBF the Swans have this season. They look ready to punish immobile and non dangerous options. Hahn was decent in a role against Drummond, hopefully he can replicate that next week on Malceski/Kennelly/Shaw/Mattner. Fwiw I would play Dylan in a HF tag role on Malceski.

lemmon
08-05-2010, 10:17 PM

I don't rate Hahn very highly (respect and admire what he has done for the club though). His defensive pressure is fantastic when the ball is in his immediate area but his body makes it very difficult to get to these hot spots.

I would have him in the 22 next week mainly due to the opposition. His last two games against the Saints have been good, I think he really suits that stoppage style. One potential danger though is the legion of HBF the Swans have this season. They look ready to punish immobile and non dangerous options. Hahn was decent in a role against Drummond, hopefully he can replicate that next week on Malceski/Kennelly/Shaw/Mattner. Fwiw I would play Dylan in a HF tag role on Malceski.

Honestly I think Roos and the coaching panel will be licking their lips at the prospect of their running backs really streaming off Hahn just because of his limited mobility. If he wants to have any impact in keeping them at home he's got to get dangerous and make it a risk for them to leave him. Agree with the Addison idea, he has that same hard edge but combined with a bit more pace and youth to allow him to get to more contests, could provide a real Mcqualter role.

LostDoggy
08-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I like watching Mitch play, and was very excited about watching him play with Barry, thinking that they would compliment each other rather than get in each other's way. I think it would be a bad move to drop him now considering how many of our harder, big bodied players we have out. I will be holding out judgement on Hahn until later in the season.

alwaysadog
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Amazing how mindless negativity is smashed here (justifiably) but mindless positivity is OK.

So what are we meant to do guys? Either praise selections or assume that a player who is seemingly in poor form is actually playing a stealth like super secret role devised by our MC?

I'll KISS

Mindless positivity= bad
Mindless negativity= bad

Why is he wrong about Hahn? What do you actually think Hahn brings to the side to warrant his spot in the 22?

Can't see any logical connection between the comments you highlighted and the comment you made. Many pose as logical gurus few are. Do you think it fair to judge a player on one weeks statistics?

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Can't see any logical connection between the comments you highlighted and the comment you made. Many pose as logical gurus few are. Do you think it fair to judge a player on one weeks statistics?

Of course not but the OP put up arguments other than Hahn's statistics.

I just find it ironic that so many here get upset when posters are negative and offer no supporting arguments but it's all well and good to be mindlessly positive.

I actually disagree with him about dropping Hahn but at least he has taken his time to mount an argument.

alwaysadog
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I just find it ironic that so many here get upset when posters are negative and offer no supporting arguments but it's all well and good to be mindlessly positive.

I actually disagree with him about dropping Hahn but at least he has taken his time to mount an argument.

Rocco, I'm surprised you didn't find the whole thing just a bit too much over the top. But on the subject of arguments, there are two sorts. One leads from premise to evidence to conclusion another is conclusion first then cast around for facts to justify / rationalise the conclusion.

I've expressed my dissatisfaction with our last two weeks efforts but blaming and looking for culprits cuts no ice with me. Oh yes, some might find it emotionally satisfying but it's not only intellectual laziness of the grossest kind it achieves nothing.

Furthermore I admit I need a lot of persuading that a player who has been a regular fixture in the side over a quite long period suddenly needs to go, I need even more convincing when it is a player who has struggled to get anything like equal to the acceptance he has within the playing group and the coaches from sections of our own supporters.

All I can say is thank god Eagle didn't play, we would probably have had effigies burnt by now.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I've expressed my dissatisfaction with our last two weeks efforts but blaming and looking for culprits cuts no ice with me. Oh yes, some might find it emotionally satisfying but it's not only intellectual laziness of the grossest kind it achieves nothing.

Not sure if you have read my posts in this thread but I actually disagreed with the OP, just supporting his right to have an argument, even if it is seen to be negative.

You talk about it being 'emotionally satisfying' to blame a player. I am not a fan of posting purely on emotion but it goes both ways mate.

alwaysadog
08-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Not sure if you have read my posts in this thread but I actually disagreed with the OP, just supporting his right to have an argument, even if it is seen to be negative.

You talk about it being 'emotionally satisfying' to blame a player. I am not a fan of posting purely on emotion but it goes both ways mate.

Exactly what goes both ways?

Remi Moses
08-05-2010, 11:03 PM

I'll KISS

Mindless positivity= bad
Mindless negativity= bad

Here Here let's not fall for the pathetic Hooray for Everything Brigade!Hahn brings alot of things that go unnoticed,I agree he's like a lot of our lads he's not at his best

Remi Moses
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Rocco, I'm surprised you didn't find the whole thing just a bit too much over the top. But on the subject of arguments, there are two sorts. One leads from premise to evidence to conclusion another is conclusion first then cast around for facts to justify / rationalise the conclusion.

Furthermore I admit I need a lot of persuading that a player who has been a regular fixture in the side over a quite long period suddenly needs to go, I need even more convincing when it is a player who has struggled to get anything like equal to the acceptance he has within the playing group and the coaches from sections of our own supporters.

All I can say is thank god Eagle didn't play, we would probably have had effigies burnt by now.

The Eagle once again last week let the club down on the big occassion. Everyone critiques performance as they put the show on!Totally silly to think posters aren't going to have some negative input on below par performances

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Exactly what goes both ways?

Pure emotional negative posts and pure emotional positive posts.

I agree that it is 'emotionally satisfying' and 'intellectual laziness' to berate a scapegoat but I also think the terms can be applied to comments like 'get off his back' that aren't support by actual arguments.

You mentioned your surprise at me being over the top on this issue and it's a pretty good call to be honest mate. I am just tired of how some posts which have been seen as negative have been treated on here, with posters demanding logical argument for each 'negative' opinion expressed. I think it needs to go both ways.

Stefcep
08-05-2010, 11:47 PM

you mean like comments about how passionately the players sang the club song as being a huge positive, all the while ignoring the lack of passion and commitment to win the ball till the last 5 minutes..

alwaysadog
08-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Pure emotional negative posts and pure emotional positive posts.

I agree that it is 'emotionally satisfying' and 'intellectual laziness' to berate a scapegoat but I also think the terms can be applied to comments like 'get off his back' that aren't support by actual arguments.

You mentioned your surprise at me being over the top on this issue and it's a pretty good call to be honest mate. I am just tired of how some posts which have been seen as negative have been treated on here, with posters demanding logical argument for each 'negative' opinion expressed. I think it needs to go both ways.

Rocco, I wasn't having a go at you in the terms you posit, I never suggested you were over the top what I was surprised by was that you didn't regard the initial argument as over the top. I know you defended the right to an opinion with which you didn't necessarily agree, something at the heart of freedom of expression. I just think you chose a bad example.

You seem to have missed the whole point I am making and that is that many things pose as arguments that aren't and I gave examples of the differing structures. What's more I tried to analyse the situations in which they occur and possible reasons for them.

I'm disappointed, I think we are better that we have been playing and it's so frustrating watching us bumble about, but I've watched enough football and seen successful teams and clubs... and they don't start attacking their own, unless you are Jeff K and look where that is getting him and the Hawks..

So for me it's not a question of what is positive and what is negative critique it's whether or not it contributes insights, positive or negative, as to what is going, on or not going on, and helps to understand the current impasse, and possibly to find a way through it.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2010, 11:53 PM
you mean like comments about how passionately the players sang the club song as being a huge positive, all the while ignoring the lack of passion and commitment to win the ball till the last 5 minutes..

:)

I just like a balanced view on things but I guess balanced is very relative.

I think there were obvious positives and negatives to take out of last night.

We were utterly pathetic for the half an hour leading up to the last minutes. No denying that. I hear valid reasons about us playing under a roof but we were shocking. What happens if it miraculously rains in September?

On the flip side, I thought the last 5 minutes were terrific. We kicked two goals, went close to a third and held the ball up with poise in the dying moments.

I don't really place much value in how our guys sing the club song. Some of the flattest renditions I've heard have come from the Cats over the last couple of years and they have apparently gone alright in that time. :)

Stefcep
08-05-2010, 11:56 PM
^^^
There's a difference between mindless bashing of the players, and making them accountable. Sometimes fingers need to be pointed at individuals, without holding back. Otherwise you risk accepting mediocrity, and we've had our fair share of that.

Rocco Jones
09-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Rocco, I wasn't having a go at you in the terms you posit, I never suggested you were over the top what I was surprised by was that you didn't regard the initial argument as over the top. I know you defended the right to an opinion with which you didn't necessarily agree, something at the heart of freedom of expression. I just think you chose a bad example.

You seem to have missed the whole point I am making and that is that many things pose as arguments that aren't and I gave examples of the differing structures. What's more I tried to analyse the situations in which they occur and possible reasons for them.

I'm disappointed, I think we are better that we have been playing and it's so frustrating watching us bumble about, but I've watched enough football and seen successful teams and clubs... and they don't start attacking their own, unless you are Jeff K and look where that is getting him and the Hawks..

So for me it's not a question of what is positive and what is negative critique it's whether or not it contributes insights, positive or negative, as to what is going, on or not going on, and helps to understand the current impasse, and possibly to find a way through it.

I think you've raised a lot of good points and I probably did chose a poor example.

I didn't think you were having a go even when I misunderstood your intention as I think I was being over the top. I guess I was/am a little annoyed at the different in tolerance levels between 'negative' and 'positive' posts/threads with no actual arguments/insight.

I pretty much agree with everything you have said there mate.

alwaysadog
09-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I think you've raised a lot of good points and I probably did chose a poor example.

I didn't think you were having a go even when I misunderstood your intention as I think I was being over the top. I guess I was/am a little annoyed at the different in tolerance levels between 'negative' and 'positive' posts/threads with no actual arguments/insight.

I pretty much agree with everything you have said there mate.

I'm glad to find us in agreement.

Jasper
09-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Interesting responses.

Perhaps I could I have phrased the opening heading more sensitvely...Ie what does everything think of Mitchell's role in the team going forward?

I still think that this year the speed of the game has increased as has the need for speed and chasing in the forward half, and slower players like Hahn are becoming more of a liability. For those arguing that I have looked at the Melbourne game in isolation, that is incorrect. I referenced the Collingwood close game and the Geelong final last year as games where Mitch went missing and/or made costly errors.

While Hahn's poor (or at best patchy) performance under pressure has been accpeted due to the positives he brings, I still think that the recruiting of Hall and the emergence of Grant covers what Hahn has brought to the table ie 'hardness, defensive pressure, etc).

I don't think it is mindless negativity to suggest that the team needs more run and that Hahn won't provide it, and that Grant and Hall have superceded him in the role he has played. It will be interesting to see how things progress if we get a full list to pick from.

GVGjr
09-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Kelvinator,

I was asking the same questions about Hahn a couple of seasons back so you might find it an interesting read.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2043

Desipura
09-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Interesting responses.

Perhaps I could I have phrased the opening heading more sensitvely...Ie what does everything think of Mitchell's role in the team going forward?

I still think that this year the speed of the game has increased as has the need for speed and chasing in the forward half, and slower players like Hahn are becoming more of a liability. For those arguing that I have looked at the Melbourne game in isolation, that is incorrect. I referenced the Collingwood close game and the Geelong final last year as games where Mitch went missing and/or made costly errors.

While Hahn's poor (or at best patchy) performance under pressure has been accpeted due to the positives he brings, I still think that the recruiting of Hall and the emergence of Grant covers what Hahn has brought to the table ie 'hardness, defensive pressure, etc).

I don't think it is mindless negativity to suggest that the team needs more run and that Hahn won't provide it, and that Grant and Hall have superceded him in the role he has played. It will be interesting to see how things progress if we get a full list to pick from.

You are spot on, the game is getting quicker and Mitch is getting slower. Hahn's kicking is not a feature and he does not have a big tank. Hall bring Hahns strength to the table and some......

alwaysadog
09-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Hahn's kicking is not a feature.

So far this year that's true but last year his goal kicking % from shots taken was one of the highest in the league.

Jasper
09-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Kelvinator,

I was asking the same questions about Hahn a couple of seasons back so you might find it an interesting read.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2043

Thanks GVGjr, looks like a few posters I respect seem to have been asking the question of Hahn for a while. In the past I believed his defensive tackling and strength were assets in a foward line lacking these, so I wouldn't have agreed in the past (even though I don't like his own work under pressure). But now with Hall's strength and in particular Grant's chasing/tank defensive pressure, I just don't see a role for Mitch now.

And of course I don't reckon Mitch has got any quicker in the last couple of years...the game might of though...so his deficiencies are more exposed.

From a structure/team balance perspective, I don't see him in our best 25 unless Hall is out, in which case (and strangely enough) Hahn would be one of the first few picked!!

Desipura
09-05-2010, 11:50 AM
So far this year that's true but last year his goal kicking % from shots taken was one of the highest in the league.

Im more talking about field kicking, his short passing is ordinary. Im not bagging the guy, its just I have not seen him produce the form of last season. I do not know if he still can.

Sockeye Salmon
09-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Where's Igor?

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Where's Igor?

I find it interesting that whilst there is no ready made replacement for Hanh and his role that Tiller has been picked to play forward for Willy this week. Could Tiller play the Hard bodied second tier tall. It does seem a coincidence to me.

BulldogBelle
09-05-2010, 08:38 PM
There are probably better forward structures than having Hahn there.

Could consider swapping Harbrow and Hahn. Would then not have to consider using Addison (the holey net) for the back pocket.

I'm confident that Harbrow could play a small forward / midfield role, could Hahn play in the back pocket?

Putting Harbrow in the forward line would increase its potentcy by a large percentage.

Hahn and Murphy are probably swapping at CHF now. My idea would leave the position for Murphy only. Moving Hahn might also provide an opening for Jones.

I think that its worth a try as Hahn will only ever be a B grade player.

Rocco Jones
09-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Could consider swapping Harbrow and Hahn. Would then not have to consider using Addison (the holey net) for the back pocket.

I'm confident that Harbrow could play a small forward / midfield role, could Hahn play in the back pocket?

Putting Harbrow in the forward line would increase its potentcy by a large percentage

I am not sure why so many fans talk about playing back pocket/half back as it it was a throwback to the good old days when scrappy players who weren't polished enough for the midfield occupied these roles.

Line breaking small defenders valuable in the modern game and Harbrow is one of the best at the moment. Addison and Hahn couldn't be more different as potential small defenders. Dylan is a heavily a lock down type and if Hahn is going to be too slow for the forward line, what's going to happen where you need pace most?

Mantis
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
There are probably better forward structures than having Hahn there.

Putting Harbrow in the forward line would increase its potentcy by a large percentage.

Hahn and Murphy are probably swapping at CHF now. My idea would leave the position for Murphy only. Moving Hahn might also provide an opening for Jones.

I think that its worth a try as Hahn will only ever be a B grade player.

Michael Malthouse who is well respected with his thoughts & opinions on footy has Harbrow rated as his Brownlow Medal favorite playing in the role he has made his own in defence. Why would we take him away to play up forward in a role he couldn't grasp early in his career?

Rocco Jones
09-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Michael Malthouse who is well respected with his thoughts & opinions on footy has Harbrow rated as his Brownlow Medal favorite playing in the role he has made his own in defence. Why would we take him away to play up forward in a role he couldn't grasp early in his career?

Make him appear less attractive to Gold Coast? :)

Ghost Dog
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM

That's an interesting stat!
Hope he pulls off the same work this year.

Mantis
09-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Make him appear less attractive to Gold Coast? :confused:

We would also make our team more likely to lose.... I would prefer our team to win regardless of the likelihood of Harbrow going to the GC.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2010, 08:59 PM

I agree with this.

Rocco Jones
09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
We would also make our team more likely to lose.... I would prefer our team to win regardless of the likelihood of Harbrow going to the GC.

I was taking the piss. Perhaps I should have used smiley emoticon rather than confused emoticon.

I think it would be crazy to move Harbrow from the backline. It's a non-issue anyway as he is clearly best suited to the role.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
In the prelim we lost to Sti Kilda last year he was one of our better players.

Played well in the last quarter. 7 marks and 2 goals is a good effort in the forward-line of a losing team in a very low scoring match. The main opinion of him is that he seems too slow.

Still, rated as a player who is consistent and who gets the job done. He breaks open packs and as Leigh Mathews commentated, blocks and bullocks. Stats don't always tell the full story.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly sorry Kelvinator. Mitch is still an important member of our forward line, and I would go as far as suggesting that he is the best one on one player at the club, his ability to win a contest with clever body positioning and awareness is second to none.

Even last night, when he didn't have a great game, he managed 6 inside fifties from just 12 touches. In the two games before last night he was in our top bunch of players. Unfortunately people are just too quick to jump on him on the back of one or two bad performances. I think he still has a lot to offer.

Just to back up this view with some hard facts.
go to
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/news.php?type=player&firstname=Mitch&surname=Hahn

You will see that he is clearly more hot than cold.
In the age of the celebrity, players like mitch might seem a bit unpolished. However, from his stats you can see he performs regularly for the club when it needs him.

Dry Rot
10-05-2010, 12:58 AM

What was Malthouse like as a player?

FrediKanoute
10-05-2010, 03:58 AM
Blasphemy ;)

Which bulldog player has consistently applied score board pressure this year? Its been one of our major failings we simply don't convert good play into goals often enough and too often miss!

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Hard at it with not a lot of skills

Sockeye Salmon
10-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Dylan Addison with a moustache.

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Dylan Addison with a moustache.

But slower.

Explains the way he coaches, actually. Safety first, keep it simple, doesn't really trust/understand how to motivate the 'mavericks', rewards hard yakka types, loves your Jakoviches and Dane Swans, and the only coach who would play Pendlebury in 2010 and put Leigh Brown in the forwardline.

EasternWest
10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
But slower.

Explains the way he coaches, actually. Safety first, keep it simple, doesn't really trust/understand how to motivate the 'mavericks', rewards hard yakka types, loves your Jakoviches and Dane Swans, and the only coach who would play Pendlebury in 2010 and put Leigh Brown in the forwardline.

What do you mean by this Lantern?

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
What do you mean by this Lantern?

Just a joke. Penddles is a bloody good tough defender, but he does have a reputation as a one-dimensional player lucky to get game time in the modern era. I was just exaggerating this to make the Malthouse joke go further. That's all!

EasternWest
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Just a joke. Penddles is a bloody good tough defender, but he does have a reputation as a one-dimensional player lucky to get game time in the modern era. I was just exaggerating this to make the Malthouse joke go further. That's all!

Oh right. I actually don't know much about Pendlebury, but I thought it odd to use him and Leigh Brown in the same sentence. Are you sure you don't mean Presti?

chef
10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Do you have Pendlebury mixed up with someone else as IMO he's a gun mid fielder who I would love to have playing at the Dogs.

EasternWest
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Do you have Pendlebury mixed up with someone else as IMO he's a gun mid fielder who I would love to have playing at the Dogs.

I reckon it's Presti. If you put Presti in both Lantern's statements instead of Pendlebury, it makes perfect sense.

chef
10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I reckon it's Presti. If you put Presti in both Lantern's statements instead of Pendlebury, it makes perfect sense.

Fair enough, Presti's a pretty good full back IMO.

EasternWest
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Mine too. Unfashionable, but good at his job.

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Oh right. I actually don't know much about Pendlebury, but I thought it odd to use him and Leigh Brown in the same sentence. Are you sure you don't mean Presti?

That's absolutely right. That's the last time I'm blogging on my E71 while in a meeting.. Presti it is.

EasternWest
10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
That's absolutely right. That's the last time I'm blogging on my E71 while in a meeting.. Presti it is.

Heh heh, another board member?

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Heh heh, another board member?

Nah, just a team meeting. Lots of people talking talking talking, powerpoints etc. I'm not actually anti-meeting, but it's Monday, and I've got footy on the brain.

LostDoggy
10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree with this.
Same here, some of our supporters are as bad as the media "change with the wind". Gia has received a lot of bagging over the last few weeks, now he is in our best players every week. Like the media having us as favourites for the flag, now it's Collingwood, don't forget Collingwood only beat Melbourne by a point on a dry ground, and haven't looked back since. IT IS A LONG SEASON !

stefoid
11-05-2010, 08:19 AM
We really need a dangerous mercurial crumber. If we had a genuine one, hahns spot up forward might be at risk.

Sedat
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
We really need a dangerous mercurial crumber. If we had a genuine one, hahns spot up forward might be at risk.

Preferably one that has lightning pace would be nice. Some teams have 3 of them and we can't even muster up one semi-decent one in the entire squad.

stefoid
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
yeah, I just started another thread specifically on beating the flood with pace in the forward line by kicking it over eveyones head and making a footrace of it. Carlton did it to great effect.