PDA

View Full Version : Football Trends - 2010

comrade
09-05-2010, 10:51 PM
We've almost completed seven rounds, and this is shaping up as one of the strangest seasons I can recall. We've seen teams improve rapidly, a general evening up of the competition and some truly bizarre, low scoring games.

There's been a lot of discussion recently about game plans and styles. We hear concepts such as rotations, defensive pressure, part time ruckmen; the idea behind this thread is to discuss the trends that have developed this year, and how the Bulldogs are adapting/not adapting.

I'm interested in hearing what others think are the biggest changes/developments in the game this year, and crystal ball how we may see these concepts evolve throughout 2010.

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I dont think there have been any major developtments in strategies this year like previous years ie. Lyon Cage, Clarko's Cluster, nothing that has taken teams by surprise and allowed a distinct advantage over the rest of the comp.
We have however seen a few teams emulate the defensive pressure that the Saints base thier game on, Freo in particular...this has been the biggest improvement in thier game.

As far as us adapting to any changes in the game, i don't believe is an issue.
the 2 standout reasons we have struggled thus far IMO is:

1. opposition teams putting alot more emphasis on us and our particular style...we are the Hunted now, many teams consider us to be somewhat of a measuring stick and i think the boys are currently learning how to deal with that, its unfamiliar for us to be the hunted.

2. inconsistency in intensity and workrate, have been far too patchy in this regard...look at our losses so far and the main catalyst has been we have dropped off in effort and the other side gains ascendency...wish i knew why this was!! actual output can be up and down at times but a players workrate, effort and commitment should never waiver.

boydogs
10-05-2010, 12:54 AM
I think the use of interchanges, defensive zones and part-time ruckman has been further developed this year.

More is being asked of players, as more are being added to midfield rotations and they are more involved in the play with the 18-man defensive press

Flexibility and fitness are becoming highly valued, one dimensional slow players such as Minson and Hahn are having trouble

I think we will be better positioned to cope with the changes when we get some of the players back who are currently out of the side due to injury/form, but at the moment we are struggling

Mofra
10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Real Estate being more important than guarding a player.

Every team zones now, and often finding a way through on the kick-out is simply a task of finding the biggest hole and the zone & kicking to it, rather than spotting up a teammate.

Defensive pressure is the new black; defenders must attack and forwards must defend. The team that lays the most tackles in thier own F50 is more often than not the winning team.