PDA

View Full Version : A coaching Hypothetical

GVGjr
10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
In this hypothetical, if Eade was to leave the club at the end of the season and money was no object for the club, which coach would you want to be in charge of the Bulldogs for the 2011 season?

I haven't listed all the options so feel free to comment on anyone else not on the list

chef
10-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Mick Malthouse.

Rocco Jones
Paul Roos.

Really love how he develops players, he has such as great eye for seemingly ordinary players filling valuable roles. After two grand finals and a premiership I expected the Swans to struggle big time but their rise this year is a massive credit to Roos.

While his style of footy hasn't been the most attractive thing to watch (although I think people overrated it's ugliness in the past and it looks pretty attractive this season) the way he has got his players to contest for the ball and so quickly turn defence into attack when they have gain possession is amazing.

The best coach I have ever seen.

GVGjr
Mick Malthouse.

Why Mick above the other candidates?

GVGjr
10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Paul Roos.

Really love how he develops players, he has such as great eye for seemingly ordinary players filling valuable roles. After two grand finals and a premiership I expected the Swans to struggle big time but their rise this year is a massive credit to Roos.

While his style of footy hasn't been the most attractive thing to watch (although I think people overrated it's ugliness in the past and it looks pretty attractive this season) the way he has got his players to contest for the ball and so quickly turn defence into attack when they have gain possession is amazing.

This is what I admire about Roos. His ability to turn players regarded as limited like Grundy and Moore into AFL footballers is uncanny.
Not a big fan of his sometimes negative tactics but it has worked for them.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
This is what I admire about Roos. His ability to turn players regarded as limited like Grundy and Moore into AFL footballers is uncanny.

I was joking to a friend that if in charge of a team during trade week, I would ask Roos which of my players he was interested in. I would immediately make those players untouchable and offer them a long term contract.

Not a big fan of his sometimes negative tactics but it has worked for them.

I'm not either but a lot of it was due to hard work rather than just being defensive. While they were definitely a very defensive unit overall, when the Swans got hold of it their transition into attack was/is very good.

The Adelaide Connection
10-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Paul Roos.

Well said. I thought Sydney were on a steady journey to the foot of the ladder but I really did forget about his ability to slot new players in and really get the best out of them. Where some coaches want their players to change to a certan gamestyle, he is willing to totally change his style to the players he has available. Not sure on the best coach call that I have ever seen, that's a tough one, but would certainly be up there.

bornadog
10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Mark Williams - a great coach of young players. We have some potential young players coming through and he would be ideal to coach them. I would presume the majority of our 30 year olds would be retired by the end of year, leaving us with a relatively young list.

boydogs
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Leon Cameron - knows the group and Eade's methods to be able to carry on and then add his own touch

The Pie Man
10-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I say Cameron as Paul Roos I don't believe will coach senior footy again. If I was convinced he'd be committed, I'd pick him instead.

I think Leon has what it takes.

chef
11-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Why Mick above the other candidates?

His ability to mould an average group of players into a great team is phenomenal IMO, he's done it time and time again with only Collingwoods recruiting staff letting him down. He is able to bring in novices and have them playing as senior playing straight away, he has faith in his players, will back them in in any situation and intern they have faith in his game plan and stick to it. God help Bucks if the Pies win a flag in the next couple of years as Malthouse won't be going anywhere.

Having said all that, I'm happy with Eade and Cameron should succeed him.

Swoop
11-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I find it quite extraordinary that in this hyptothetical we have an open cheque book and are able to sign any proven coach in the competition and people would choose Leon Cameron.

With all due respect he may become a great coach in time but he is essentially an unknown quantity with no proven coaching record.

Are we overrating our own?

Mofra
11-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Mark Thompson - had a vision to radically change the way football was played from the 2005/06 years of dour defensive football, and now everyone is playing catch-up.

Go_Dogs
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I voted for Mark Williams (even though he's the enemy) as I think he's a pretty good coach, and would certainly have our list playing to its strengths with his game style.

Although Port have had a couple of poor years, they were up for a very long time, and also managed to play off in the 2007 GF, and look like being certain finalists at this point in time for 2010.

LostDoggy
11-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Paul Roos hands down. Has the character thing down pat so would fit into our club like a hand in a glove. Is a leader of men, respected beyond belief by his players who all seem like they would walk through fire for him (which is why I think they all play above themselves), and is loved throughout the football industry.

If we were talking hypotheticals, my second choice (if he would come out of retirement) is Lethal. Some of his knockers say that he is a bit old-school in his tactics, but he's had time out of the game to analyse and learn, and he's a proven winner everywhere he's gone, and you don't win premierships over three decades without knowing a thing or two about football and be able to adapt accordingly. In any case, he is an even greater leader of men than Roos, and he would bring a steel and belief to the playing group that can still be a little bit inconsistent at times.

In any case, if Sheeds can still be coaching, Lethal, who I rate as a far better coach (though not as savvy at the marketing side of things), sure as hell can too.

Bulldog Joe
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Mark Williams - a great coach of young players. We have some potential young players coming through and he would be ideal to coach them. I would presume the majority of our 30 year olds would be retired by the end of year, leaving us with a relatively young list.

Can't agree with this.

Port have been very soft over the past 2 or 3 seasons and it is the introduction of Laidley that has had them playing harder.

My choice - Rodney Eade
Has done a great job developing the list and instilled confidence in players that were on the verge of delisting or trade - Gilbee, Hargrave, Cross etc.

Just stick with Rocket and enjoy the ride.

Go_Dogs
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Can't agree with this.

Port have been very soft over the past 2 or 3 seasons and it is the introduction of Laidley that has had them playing harder.

I think it's fairly simple to say that they have become harder because of Laidley, and I'd be certain that Mark wasn't happy with the "soft" tag and game style that they'd been playing. But to credit one man with the turnaround isn't right IMO.

Port are historically a very tough, (perhaps unsociable :p) side - and they're simply getting back to that. If you look back at the early 2000's, they were one of the toughest sides around, and a few of their problems were caused by some average recruiting in the early-mid 2000's. Their list is coming along very nicely at the moment though.

I think Mark Williams would suit us better than say, Paul Roos, just because the game style would be more in tune with our playing lists abilities and strengths.

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Malthouse has overachieved at every club he has ever coached.

To take the bunch of very ordinary footballers he had at Collingwood in 2002-03 and take them to a grand final twice astounds me.

25 years after he came within a breath of taking us to a grand final (with one or two very good players and a whole lot of honest goers), he very well could be there again this year.

Swoop
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Malthouse has overachieved at every club he has ever coached.

To take the bunch of very ordinary footballers he had at Collingwood in 2002-03 and take them to a grand final twice astounds me.

Extracting the most out of a limited group, is that not good coaching?

chef
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Extracting the most out of a limited group, is that not good coaching?

Yes, thats what SS is saying.

bornadog
11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I think it's fairly simple to say that they have become harder because of Laidley, and I'd be certain that Mark wasn't happy with the "soft" tag and game style that they'd been playing. But to credit one man with the turnaround isn't right IMO.

Port are historically a very tough, (perhaps unsociable :p) side - and they're simply getting back to that. If you look back at the early 2000's, they were one of the toughest sides around, and a few of their problems were caused by some average recruiting in the early-mid 2000's. Their list is coming along very nicely at the moment though.

I think Mark Williams would suit us better than say, Paul Roos, just because the game style would be more in tune with our playing lists abilities and strengths.

Can't agree with this.

My choice - Rodney Eade
Has done a great job developing the list and instilled confidence in players that were on the verge of delisting or trade - Gilbee, Hargrave, Cross etc.

Just stick with Rocket and enjoy the ride.

Agree with Griffen#16.

BJ, this discussion is a hypothetical, I prefer Rocket to all the coaches listed but that isnot what the thread is about.

Cyberdoggie
11-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I think Chris Bond would be a fantastic coach.

He's also been credited as being a major reason why freo have improved this year.

Loved the way he coached at VFL when he was our assistant coach. He knows his stuff and he commands the attention of the players.

LostDoggy
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Out of the proven coaches i would say Malthouse...for reasons mentioned previously, extracts the best out of his players and puts alot of faith into the developtment of the kids.

Out of the untried coaches at senior level i would go with Nigel Lappin, 3xpremiership player, assistant coach with Geelong last year in a premiership season. also a very articulate bloke and good communicator

GVGjr
11-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I find it quite extraordinary that in this hyptothetical we have an open cheque book and are able to sign any proven coach in the competition and people would choose Leon Cameron.

With all due respect he may become a great coach in time but he is essentially an unknown quantity with no proven coaching record.

Are we overrating our own?

Agreed. Other than those close to the inner workings of the club could give a better guidance on how he would actually perform but for the rest of us picking Cameron ahead of proven performers sounds more like a protest vote than one with a lot of thought to it.

turtle
13-05-2010, 01:50 PM
At the start of this year I would have said Craig. I have always admired his approach with what I have always thought was a very limited list. For the last 3 or 4 years they have been expected to slide each year but he has held back the flood gates ... until this year. I still think he can coach but players turning on you is never a good sign!
I would go with Roos for the way he keeps his cool, his clear thinking and his ability to somehow get the best out of seemingly average players. It would be interesting to see how he would go with BBBBH again.