PDA

View Full Version : Beating the zone/flood

stefoid
11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Carlton showed how to do it, and in many ways its what we used to do before we had dads army up forward - blitzkreig the ball back through the midfield and just kick to space and create a footrace back towards goal.

This especially works well if you have quick players with long kicking skills in the midfield (griffen, cooney, eagleton, gilbee, harbrow, everitt....)

However, you have to have the cattle up forward and lets face it, Johno and Aker used to be capable of this type of play, but not any more. hahn never was.

I think its a firm tick in favour of playing Grant into form in the seniors with these specific instructions, because his reflexes and legspeed remind me a lot of garlett (spell?) who was very successful for carlton last night.

Mantis
11-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Is this a discussion thread or a statement thread?

Mofra
11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I think its a firm tick in favour of playing Grant into form in the seniors with these specific instructions, because his reflexes and legspeed remind me a lot of garlett (spell?) who was very successful for carlton last night.
His pace when we don't have the ball is enough reason to keep playing Grant at the minute - his deft snap a couple of weeks back is probably the sort of goal you were thinking of in the OP as well, very quick ball movement.

It is an interesting point though - Carlton do have 3 quick crumbers so this tactic would work well for them, and Collingwood (who had more scoring shots than the Saints) have the quick crumbers to do it as well. Do we play extra mids against the Saints and rest one or two in the F50?

stefoid
11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Is this a discussion thread or a statement thread?

discussment

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2010, 04:34 PM
To keep up with those 3 Carlton forwards our blokes would need a motorbike.

stefoid
11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
So...Stack. Quick, good reflexes. Could he play forward and use his legspeed as an offensive and defensive weapon? He isnt ideal for that spot, because I am not convinced about his ball handling, but he may be the next best we have got.

Sedat
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
So...Stack. Quick, good reflexes. Could he play forward and use his legspeed as an offensive and defensive weapon? He isnt ideal for that spot, because I am not convinced about his ball handling, but he may be the next best we have got.
I'm also not convinced about his ability to read the play. He looks to be one of those classic drifters who will go missing for large chunks of games. He certainly has the physical tools but I think the jury is out on the mental side of things.

bornadog
11-05-2010, 06:27 PM
We wouldn't be having this discussion if we had of kicked those 5 or 6 set shots.

Forget last night, lets worry about the Swans.

stefoid
11-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Im not sure what youre talking about. Im talking about ways we can score more, particularly against zoning/flooding opponents which is the norm these days. Carlton managed to beat the saints by their biggest loosing margin in years - its a noteworthy event.

chef
11-05-2010, 06:57 PM
We wouldn't be having this discussion if we had of kicked those 5 or 6 set shots.

Yep, need to make the most of our chances.

Mantis
11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Im not sure what youre talking about. Im talking about ways we can score more, particularly against zoning/flooding opponents which is the norm these days. Carlton managed to beat the saints by their biggest loosing margin in years - its a noteworthy event.

Quick ball movement is the key.

We were able to move the ball well against St.Kilda thru the back half (Harbrow & Gilbee) and thru the middle (Cooney & Griffen), but we took too long to get the ball I50. We saw last night that when one-out the St.Kilda defenders can be exposed, but if you take your time and allow them to set up their zones it can get quite difficult.

If we learnt anything from last weeks clash from St.Kilda it would be to move the ball quicker when we have a 1 on 1 in our forward half.

Raw Toast
11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Quick ball movement is the key.

We were able to move the ball well against St.Kilda thru the back half (Harbrow & Gilbee) and thru the middle (Cooney & Griffen), but we took too long to get the ball I50. We saw last night that when one-out the St.Kilda defenders can be exposed, but if you take your time and allow them to set up their zones it can get quite difficult.

If we learnt anything from last weeks clash from St.Kilda it would be to move the ball quicker when we have a 1 on 1 in our forward half.

Yep, and the nice thing is that Carlton have proved that if you move the ball quickly all the way through then you can bust the Saints wide open.

I don't think we'd be talking about it as much, but I'd love us to be improving on how we play the Saints anyway, and I hope to never sit through a game like that again - I hate the Blues, but they won by playing in an exciting manner, and for those of us who hate the Saints style of play, that's a nice thing.