PDA

View Full Version : Old number 7 in Red and blue

LostDoggy
13-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Was watcing the telecast in Adelaide on Friday in a pub and without the sound it seemed they were trying to give a behind the scenes look at how footy works. E.g they showed a coachees meeting with melbourne and there was, not just Bulldogs Champion but Legend of AFL football Scott West in Red and Blue without the white in a coaches meeting it seemed. I was gutted watching the vision, especially since we weren't running away with the game either.

I almost shed a tear although after the way (it seemed from the outside) they shuffled him off you can't blame him for going to work somewhere else.

The Coon Dog
13-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Gotta get over that, just look at who works at what clubs these days:

Todd Viney (Adelaide)
Peter Dean (Bulldogs)
Robert Harvey (Carlton)
Brett Montgomery (Carlton)
Nigel Lappin (Geelong)
Justin Leppitsch (Richmond)
John Longmire (Sydney)
Paul Hudson (Collingwood)
Brendon Lade (Richmond)
Leigh Tudor (St.Kilda)

Just a few, but none of them played for their current employer.

Bulldog4life
13-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Gotta get over that, just look at who works at what clubs these days:

Todd Viney (Adelaide)
Peter Dean (Bulldogs)
Robert Harvey (Carlton)
Brett Montgomery (Carlton)
Nigel Lappin (Geelong)
Justin Leppitsch (Richmond)
John Longmire (Sydney)
Paul Hudson (Collingwood)
Brendon Lade (Richmond)
Leigh Tudor (St.Kilda)

Just a few, but none of them played for their current employer.

You forgot our Paul Williams.:)

Sockeye Salmon
13-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Was watcing the telecast in Adelaide on Friday in a pub and without the sound it seemed they were trying to give a behind the scenes look at how footy works. E.g they showed a coachees meeting with melbourne and there was, not just Bulldogs Champion but Legend of AFL football Scott West in Red and Blue without the white in a coaches meeting it seemed. I was gutted watching the vision, especially since we weren't running away with the game either.

I almost shed a tear although after the way (it seemed from the outside) they shuffled him off you can't blame him for going to work somewhere else.

Every team in the AFL have assistant coaches from other clubs, we have Peter Dean and Paul Williams. Hell, we even had Wayne Campbell for a while *shudder*

LostDoggy
13-05-2010, 10:59 AM
It was just hard because he was so good. There's heaps os reasons he may not have stayed even if asked, e.g learn a different style of how to coach to what he was used to.

He was one of my faves though another example is Simon Atkins who has coached Werribee for a few years now after having played for them. It's easier though as at least Werribe was once Bulldogs affiliated and they aren't directly competing against being in the VFL. But good luck to Westy he deserves it after all that hard work and never getting a permiership or a Brownlow for it.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I think it's the strong trend for players to swap to a different team. Libba did it, going to Carlton and said he was strongly advised to do that. It's weird to see Dean Baily in the Port box as well.
Then again, look at Nathan Buckley? who knows.

The Coon Dog
13-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I think it's the strong trend for players to swap to a different team. Libba did it, going to Carlton and said he was strongly advised to do that. It's weird to see Dean Laidley in the Port box as well.
Then again, look at Nathan Buckley? who knows.

Corrected.

mighty_west
13-05-2010, 07:52 PM
It's nowhere near as big a deal these days seeing your past champions like Scotty West working at another club, it's quite a smart move to get away from the only enviroment you have known for such a long time, and learn the craft of coaching elsewhere.

That said, i would "shudder" if Turtle ever got a gig at the Saints or Tigers....:eek:

It was bad enough losing champion players to other clubs, Templeton, Dempsey, even Brad Hardie after 2 seasons, club legend Dougie Hawkins to the Roy Boys, i think that is far worse as a supporter to cope than seeing players coach at other clubs to learn.

LostDoggy
13-05-2010, 08:26 PM
As long as his boys play for us he can coach anyone he likes as long as it is not against us in a grand final:)

On a serious note good luck to him he has served us well and hope he has some success with his coaching and if he is good enough maybe lead the dogs to a flag with his son as captain, Wouldn't that be great

LostDoggy
13-05-2010, 10:26 PM
It was bad enough losing champion players to other clubs, Templeton, Dempsey, even Brad Hardie after 2 seasons, club legend Dougie Hawkins to the Roy Boys, i think that is far worse as a supporter to cope than seeing players coach at other clubs to learn.[/QUOTE]

It is worse but I still remember them for their Footscray days.
I grew up a Hawkins fan and I still think he was awsome in his prime. As for Demps, I brought a bulldog the other day and I chose the name Dempsey for him, so no ill feeling there.

West was one of the most underrated players in recent years. How many times did you think he didn't do too much in a game only to read the stats to see he had a 35 poss' game??? Sad to see him go the way he did but it was better than seeing him become a "passenger" as they say.