PDA

View Full Version : Round 9 - Team Selection

becmatty
15-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Suddenly with a couple of wins on the trot, we look like we have a few options.

With Stack a timely good performance, selections will be tight this week.

Expect Griffen back this week, along with Johnno.

Roughead, Moles and Wood will also be in the mix.

So that means places will be strongly contested, with perhaps the most heat on (in order) Hill, Addison, Minson, (some will say) Eagleton and Williams.

Murphy (knee) is the only concern, but Higgins said in post-game interview that he should get up for the match...

My thoughts:

In Griffen, Johnson
Out: Hill, Addison

GVGjr
15-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Would Everitt be in the mix?

chef
15-05-2010, 06:23 PM

And Moles after his good game today.

GVGjr
15-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Becmatty already nominated Moles as being in the mix

chef
15-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Becmatty already nominated Moles as being in the mix

Sorry, missed him.

GVGjr
15-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Becmatty, any reason why you are nominating Easton Wood as being in the mix?

becmatty
15-05-2010, 06:26 PM

I am told he is likely to miss.

If he comes up, it would be hard to squeeze him in though...If we expect Johnno and Griff to come back, three changes to this team would be highly unlikely.

azabob
15-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Im still very very wary of bringing Johnson straight into the team without playing at Williamstown.

He needs to get his match fitness up. He wasn't fit round one so Im unsure how he can be fit round 9.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Minson should keep his spot, same with Stack.

Its looking hard to pick a team again this week with Griff, Johnno and hopefully Everitt back from injury and Moles playing well at Willy.

Mofra
15-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Are we assuming Murphy will be alright? He's been out of form and spent half the game off the ground with a knee injury.

Fingers crossed Johnno & Griffen are back; I'd have Murphy out injured, and Hill is probably the first in the gun. Eagle had a few fumbles today but ran hard, Williams might be one to be looked at as well.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Please don't play Johnno, for no other reason than its round 9 (something of a curse for him).

azabob
15-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Are we assuming Murphy will be alright? He's been out of form and spent half the game off the ground with a knee injury.

Fingers crossed Johnno & Griffen are back; I'd have Murphy out injured, and Hill is probably the first in the gun. Eagle had a few fumbles today but ran hard, Williams might be one to be looked at as well.

Sounds like Murphy is in a bit of trouble.

becmatty
15-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Becmatty, any reason why you are nominating Easton Wood as being in the mix?

He has been knocking on the door, but he won't come in just yet. I'd imagine we will continue to rotate our younger players (Stack, Grant, Roughead), so expect Wood to break through by mid season.

Having said that Reid and Ward are not too far away from resuming, so places in this side will be hot...

BTW - I just heard on ABC that Murphy's knee "doesn't look great". Granty says lets hope "not season ending, hopefully no more that 12 weeks"...He didn't look too distressed sitting on the bench, so I hope ABC are wrong...

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 06:38 PM

I think Williams was alright today.

Someone said Higgins thought Murphy would get up next week and hopefully he does as he was playing well in the backline last week.

I think Johnno should get some match practice at Willy before he comes back and Reid said he aimed for round 9 is he a chance?

Flamethrower
15-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Liam Picken is a chance to return next week as well. If he is ok it will be interesting to see if he comes straight back in or has a week at Pt Gellibrand. It will probably depend on the match-ups.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 07:00 PM
He has been knocking on the door, but he won't come in just yet. I'd imagine we will continue to rotate our younger players (Stack, Grant, Roughead), so expect Wood to break through by mid season.

Having said that Reid and Ward are not too far away from resuming, so places in this side will be hot...

BTW - I just heard on ABC that Murphy's knee "doesn't look great". Granty says lets hope "not season ending, hopefully no more that 12 weeks"...He didn't look too distressed sitting on the bench, so I hope ABC are wrong...

I thought they said it was just precautionary, it will be a big blow if hes out for 12 weeks!
Ward will proberly have a few games in the VFL before he comes back in.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Im still very very wary of bringing Johnson straight into the team without playing at Williamstown.

He needs to get his match fitness up. He wasn't fit round one so Im unsure how he can be fit round 9.

Johnson will not come back via Willy and nor should he. Unless he does not play the next 5 or 6 rounds he may but if he plays in the next few weeks he will be straight back in the seniors

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I was just watching Before The Game and apparently Murphy will probably only be out for 1 week which is good news if true.

The Pie Man
15-05-2010, 07:45 PM

WT? Eade said in his press conference he'll miss a week, landed awkwardly on his heel and put load through the patella tendon.

12 weeks would suck

bornadog
15-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Murphy will miss at least a week.

What a dilema:

Johnson
Griffen
Everitt
Picken,
Moles,
Roughead
Ward

How the hell will Reid and Wood get a game.

Before I Die
15-05-2010, 07:59 PM

I don't understand the love affair with Moles. Apart from the NAB cup his form for the dogs was ordinary and led to him being dropped. He has been out for a few weeks injured from Willi and has now comeback and put in a good performance. He is about 3 more good performances (or midfield injuries) from pressing for promotion in my opinion.

It is also worth noting that 5 players from each team get listed as being in the best players for each VFL game. You could be 13th or 14th best afield and still get mentioned depending on how each team's players perform.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Johnson will not come back via Willy and nor should he. Unless he does not play the next 5 or 6 rounds he may but if he plays in the next few weeks he will be straight back in the seniors

Because he's been in blistering form in the games he's played, right?

Half of Johnson's possessions (or more in the Saints game) were turnovers. He's not fit enough - why do you think he plays a game or two and misses a few weeks?

We've done it twice already and it hasn't worked. We have enough players to cover him for the moment until he gets fit.

Should play VFL.

BulldogBelle
15-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't understand the love affair with Moles. Apart from the NAB cup his form for the dogs was ordinary and led to him being dropped. He has been out for a few weeks injured from Willi and has now comeback and put in a good performance. He is about 3 more good performances (or midfield injuries) from pressing for promotion in my opinion.

It is also worth noting that 5 players from each team get listed as being in the best players for each VFL game. You could be 13th or 14th best afield and still get mentioned depending on how each team's players perform.

As he was named as an emergency would have been close to getting a game. He did ok in his last game for the Dogs before getting injured.

Rocco Jones
15-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Johnson- He has really struggled to get his body right and hasn't provided us with value when playing this season. I know a lot of fans here think it's tantamount to hearsay but I think he must come back through Willy. Pace of the game is much slower and much less pressure. He can concentrate on getting his body right without having to worry about adding value to the team.

Everitt- Very happy with his attitude this week but our side has looked top heavy all season and I would probably be looking for a reason not to play a tall rather than the opposite. Harsh to have him come back through Willy but think it's right for team balance.

Addison- I see him constantly mentioned in the outs every week but I think his spot should be safe until Picken comes back. Demonstrates the right attitude and I like the message that playing him ahead of say Hill or Eagleton sends out. I would give him the job on Harvey or perhaps Wells. Curb even one of them and they struggle massively for creativity.

I would like to see Griffen and Moles in for Bobby and Hill/Eagleton.

Dry Rot
15-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Really liked what I saw of Stack today - has he currently edged ahead of Hill?

Dry Rot
15-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Addison- I see him constantly mentioned in the outs every week but I think his spot should be safe until Picken comes back. Demonstrates the right attitude and I like the message that playing him ahead of say Hill or Eagleton sends out. I would give him the job on Harvey or perhaps Wells. Curb even one of them and they struggle massively for creativity.

Agreed. You can see why Eade allegedly loves him. IMO, he's showing some improvement this season.

EasternWest
15-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Agreed. I would think the spot is his to lose to Picken, and even then he may be showing enough to force others out. But I could be biased.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Addison was in blistering form a few seasons back, prior to his injury (think it was the knee?). If he can get back to that form this season, it's going to be hard to push him out.

EasternWest
15-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah it was his knee. He hasn't looked the same since, but his form and efforts this year have been encouraging.

Go_Dogs
16-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Really liked what I saw of Stack today - has he currently edged ahead of Hill?

He was better than Hill yesterday, but I'd be loathe to say he's moved ahead based on one good performance. I think they will end up having to battle for the same spot, and I'd probably say although both laconic, Stack probably has slightly higher intensity.

If Hill misses out next week, I'd really like to see him spend a few weeks at Williamstown playing off the wing, as I think long-term that should be where we play him, with rests up forward.

comrade
16-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Hill plays like a third tall. Stack plays like a zippy goal sneak.

Which one do we have a greater need for?

I'd say for structural reasons alone, Stack should stay in, particularly if we're going to rush Johnno back (which I don't necessarily agree with).

As for others, Hahn got better as the game wore on (after I potted him in the game day thread :)) but Shaggy is quickly cashing in all his credits. Just doesn't look the assured player we saw blossom last year.

Without seeing Willy play this week, perhaps Wood could be a chance? His form hasn't been blistering but he has been on the emergency list a few times, so he's thereabouts and could be a direct positional swap.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Shaggy is quickly cashing in all his credits. Just doesn't look the assured player we saw blossom last year.

Without seeing Willy play this week, perhaps Wood could be a chance? His form hasn't been blistering but he has been on the emergency list a few times, so he's thereabouts and could be a direct positional swap.

I have Shaggy as just about the most underrated Bulldog I've seen but agree that he has really struggled this year.

There can be a very fine betweeen being a versatile defender who can play on a variety of opponents and the opposite where a weakness keeps on being exposed. Shaggy was great from early-mid 09 to 10, providing us with an option for lead up/ground work tall forwards and medium and small mediums. He offered that wonderful mix of rebound and defence. Best of all he allowed his fellow defenders to play on more suitable opponents.

Right now he looks a shadow of all that. He has struggled with the neck injury and I would like to give him another chance. If he is to be replaced I think it should be by a returning Dre.

comrade
16-05-2010, 11:56 AM
If he is to be replaced I think it should be by a returning Dre.

Good call, RJ - I forgot about Dre.

DOG GOD
16-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Once we get our full team on the park i feel that Hill, Grant and Stack will be playing for the one spot. Cant see fitting 2 or 3 of them in there.

choconmientay
16-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Hill plays like a third tall. Stack plays like a zippy goal sneak.

Which one do we have a greater need for?

I'd say for structural reasons alone, Stack should stay in, particularly if we're going to rush Johnno back (which I don't necessarily agree with).

For me too Stack should keep his spot. He clicked more with Hall in the forward line. He got a good run in the last 2 matches and is growing in confidence.

Hill is currently not doing enough. He's lacking intensity in tackling. His kicking is lacking in precision. Even as a tall forward, he is losing out to Grant.

Once we get our full team on the park i feel that Hill, Grant and Stack will be playing for the one spot. Cant see fitting 2 or 3 of them in there.

I fully agreed. And we will have to rotate them depend what the opponent are.

Doc26
16-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I can feel a barrage of criticism coming from what appears the numerous Dylan admirers on this forum and I appreciate he is filling a stopping role created through Liam's injury but his deficiencies hurt and expose us too often. I admire his determination and attitude but even with this I don't get the push for him to retain his place. Attitude will only take you so far. Dylan's skill deficiencies particularly with his disposal choices and in his delivery by foot and resultant turnovers are not up to scratch for players at this level, not close. I don't believe that we should accept such mediocracy over attitude.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I can feel a barrage of criticism coming from what appears the numerous Dylan admirers on this forum and I appreciate he is filling a stopping role created through Liam's injury but his deficiencies hurt and expose us too often. I admire his determination and attitude but even with this I don't get the push for him to retain his place. Attitude will only take you so far. Dylan's skill deficiencies particularly with his disposal choices and in his delivery by foot and resultant turnovers are not up to scratch for players at this level, not close. I don't believe that we should accept such mediocracy over attitude.

Who said we should? He isn't competing for a spot in the 22 with Ryan Griffen, he is competing with Hill and Eagleton. Eagle's skill under pressure is very ordinary and has turned the ball. At least Addison fills a role in the side and sends a statement about the attitude expected.

North clearly rely on Boomer and Wells for creativity and I would definitely go with two close checking roles which suits Dylan.

I am actually not a huge admirer of Addison, just think he brings more to the team than someone like Eagleton while Picken is out. When Liam, Ward and Reid are right in the selection frame again, I think Addison will/should struggle to get a look in.

GVGjr
16-05-2010, 06:50 PM

At close to a full strength side, Addison will struggle to hold his spot but he has performed reasonably well and certainly isn't a liability.
You need players like him and Callan on the list to add some depth.

firstdogonthemoon
16-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Mantis is to Eagleton as Firstdogonthemoon is to Addison. I would be happy if he never played for us again.

I mean that in the nicest possible way of course and I am sure he is a lovely fellow. He seemed nice the time he was getting a sandwich at Waldies.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Lock Williams in for every game this season unless he becomes injured. He is beginning to deliver on his promise and can only get better. A tall athletic CHB is a godsend. Griffen and Johnson in for Hill and Addison for mine. Johnno is critical for our forward line options and Addison is dispensible.

LostDoggy
16-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Johnson will not come back via Willy and nor should he.

Why shouldn't he.

One of the reasons we have the magoos is for players to be able to get match form and fitness after a lengthy spell on the sidelines. He has only played 2-3 games and we have gone 7 rounds.

He should not be treated any differently to other players. That is the Footscray of old.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Why shouldn't he.

Because some posters can't separate emotion and logic.

I find it really amusing that mindless positively is fine on this board but if someone says something negative, they are required to back it up with a thesis on the topic.

Johnno has:
- Had a heavily interrupted pre-sesaon
- Played and struggled in R1
- Injured and missed R2
- Struggled in R3
- Injured calf was it? Missed another game
- Was decent in R5
- Injured groin and missed two games

Perhaps coming straight into the hustle and flow of AFL isn't actually what's best for Johnno. VFL is a slower pace and he can concentrate on getting his body right without having to worry about adding value to the team.

I am actually a big believer in rewarding loyalty. If it's anywhere near 50/50 I am up for renewing contracts of players who have offered great service to the club. To demand loyalty, you need to demonstrate it yourself. I am fine with it playing a part on getting on the list again but not a guaranteed spot in the 22.

Sedat
16-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Will be interesting to see how North structures up next week. Petrie is on the verge of returning, Hale looks like he might miss, Macintosh will probably come back in - they'll likely go in pretty tall if you factor in Goldstein. You'd imagine two rucks will be mandatory this week.

Wth Harvey and Wells both in strong form, there's room in the team next week for both Picken and Addison IMO. I'm happy to back Picken in to be 100% ready for action being such a dedicated professional.

Scorlibo
16-05-2010, 10:12 PM

I think his disposal is vastly underrated, he has a very good action and hits targets more often than not.

For a period at the start of 2008, Dylan was travelling very well and showed that at his best he is very good in the one on one situation and rarely wastes the ball.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Wth Harvey and Wells both in strong form, there's room in the team next week for both Picken and Addison IMO. I'm happy to back Picken in to be 100% ready for action being such a dedicated professional.

Totally agree that there's a spot for both of them against North but unsure whether to play Picken straight up.

North depend on Wells and Boomer so much for creativity. You can pretty much sacrifice two players on them because the rest of their runners aren't very damaging.

EasternWest
17-05-2010, 01:19 AM

There's a difference between bagging a guy out and saying why you would prefer them out of the team and explaining your reasons.

As a staunch Dylan fan, I have no problem with what you said, though I disagree.

I think his disposal is far better than he gets credit for. It's not the best in the team, and it has its moments, but on the whole I find that he does ok. Interestingly enough, I think he's better by foot than by hand.

I would have thought on current form there would be more focus on Hargrave and the fact that he is a complete liability defensively (which I've always thought has been poor if he plays anyone his size or higher) and his usually fairly good disposal is woeful.

chef
17-05-2010, 09:03 AM
In Griffen and Everitt
Out Murphy and Hill

If Everitt's still not right Hill gets another chance. I'd rather give Johnno a week at Willi before he comes back in and another strong game from Moles should see him putting pressure on for a recall.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Paul Williams indicated at the coach's breakfast on Saturday that Picken was a sneaking chance this week, but “definite” the week after. That says to me that his spot is merely waiting for him, and if he can get up and fit by the weekend it's his.

Mofra
17-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Because some posters can't separate emotion and logic.
Yeah, everyone who thinks Johnno should be in the firsts is blinded by emotion :rolleyes:

Fact is Johnno's running is still elite and he was one of our best in round 5.
He managed 18 touches in round 6 in an uber-flood, despite copping a knock during the game.
If he's fit he's in the 22 unless there has been a decent lay-off, and I don't think 2 weeks is enough to warrant him returning via the VFL especially when we are struggling for scoring options to support Baz. Stack is inexperienced so will be up and down, ditto Grant (who is playing HF anyway) , Gia is playing more in the middle, Murph is out & Hahn isn't in great form.
For mine, Johnno is the forgotten man and will prove damaging as the support for Barry, especially in the games where Barry struggles to kick goals.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I think Johnno should come straight back in, albiet, playing deep in the forward line and crumbing to Hall and providing a second lead/option for our midfield, we seem to not be offering enough choices to kick to at the moment when the midfielders come streaming into the forwardline.

It might be handy this week to have Picken to shut down Harvey at the centre bounces.

IN: Johnno, Everitt (if fit), or Picken (again if fit)

OUT: Hill, Murphy

stefoid
17-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Getting games into Addison is a good thing. Unless he is a bonehead, his decision making is going to improve with experience. It has been improving, hasnt it?

The aim is to go into he finals without injuries playing a huge part - Addison being Pickens understudy is part of that plan. He tagged Kirk on Saturday and Kirk was well down on his normal output - Addison broke even with him on 15 disposals - neither player was influential and that was pretty much what we required from that matchup. thumbs up!

So we keep playing Addison and think about replacing him if and when Picken gets cherry ripe and in ripping form.

bornadog
17-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm happy to back Picken in to be 100% ready for action being such a dedicated professional.

The trouble will be match fitness, however, the type of game he plays, ie a run with type, he may be ok. I would prefer he came back via Willi.

In: Johnno, Everitt

Out: Murphy, Hill

The Coon Dog
17-05-2010, 12:30 PM
The trouble will be match fitness, however, the type of game he plays, ie a run with type, he may be ok. I would prefer he came back via Willi.

No room for Griff?

Sedat
17-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Totally agree that there's a spot for both of them against North but unsure whether to play Picken straight up.
From what I've read and heard about Picken, his single-minded dedication to his career is second to none, and I'd be very confident that he has not left a single stone unturned in making sure he has recovered 100% from his injury and will be able to go very close to full rat power on Saturday. He smashed Harvey twice last season in two very tight games, and Harvey was a guy who (along with Wells) toyed with us in the preceeding 3-4 seasons. I'd like to see him in this week to terrorise Harvey and have DFA ghosting Wells. They only have Bastinac as their defensive tagging option (who is a first year player anyway) so it frees up one of Griff or Coons to really break the shackles.

Mantis
17-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I think Johnno should come straight back in, albiet, playing deep in the forward line and crumbing to Hall and providing a second lead/option for our midfield, we seem to not be offering enough choices to kick to at the moment when the midfielders come streaming into the forwardline.

It might be handy this week to have Picken to shut down Harvey at the centre bounces.

IN: Johnno, Everitt (if fit), or Picken (again if fit)

OUT: Hill, Murphy

Where is Griffen?

He missed with slight back soreness and one would think would be available this week.

Mantis
17-05-2010, 01:19 PM
In: Griffen

Out: Murphy

I guess it's too early to know if Johnson, Picken & Everitt will come back in, but if they do I would have Hill (as someone who rates Josh I am losing patience with him), Eagleton & Hahn as possible exclusions.

chef
17-05-2010, 01:24 PM

I guess it's too early to know if Johnson, Picken & Everitt will come back in, but if they do I would have Hill (as someone who rates Josh I am losing patience with him), Eagleton & Hahn as possible exclusions.

I would have Hargrave in the gun(especially if Everitt's ready to go) before these two.

Ozza
17-05-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm inclined to think Hill may be first to go outside of Murphy obviously missing. Stack was good and Hill just didn't get into the contest really.

Addison may have a role on Wells - and seems a pretty good fit to tag him regardless of whether or not Picken is back. I didn't think Dylan was great on the weekend - but its hard to tell what defensive work he is doing when watching on TV...and prior to this week he has played well.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
17-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Doc

Earlier this year I would have agreed with you. However I've noticed a definite improvement in DFAs disposal over the past few weeks - so much so that I am struggling to think of a clanger during that time. Am I missing something?

While Liams rplacve in the side is not under seige by DFA, he has more than delivered on what was expected from him so far.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I would have Hargrave in the gun(especially if Everitt's ready to go) before these two.

Form-wise, perhaps, but we need to pump more AFL games into Hargs, not less, to make sure he's getting his match-fitness up and peaking later in the season. Too important to the functioning structure of our backline come finals time to drop purely on form unless it was pretty drastic. Also aware that with backlines so much of it comes down to chemistry, and our senior defenders (ie. Lake, Morris, Gilbs and Hargs, + Williams and Harbrow) have been together for a while and understand each other pretty well, you don't want to shake the combination up unnecessarily, especially since they have been pretty good AS A UNIT regardless of individual form.

bornadog
17-05-2010, 01:45 PM
No room for Griff?

Whoops, yes straight in if fit.

Who the hell misses?

Mantis
17-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Who the hell misses?

The person who replaced him. :D

The Coon Dog
17-05-2010, 02:33 PM
The person who replaced him. :D

Here's a clue:

http://gallishosting.com/oaecom/images/eagle_clipart_1.gif

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Who the hell misses?

Yeah me too, straight back IF fit?

jazzadogs
17-05-2010, 05:14 PM
From what I've read and heard about Picken, his single-minded dedication to his career is second to none, and I'd be very confident that he has not left a single stone unturned in making sure he has recovered 100% from his injury and will be able to go very close to full rat power on Saturday. He smashed Harvey twice last season in two very tight games, and Harvey was a guy who (along with Wells) toyed with us in the preceeding 3-4 seasons. I'd like to see him in this week to terrorise Harvey and have DFA ghosting Wells. They only have Bastinac as their defensive tagging option (who is a first year player anyway) so it frees up one of Griff or Coons to really break the shackles.
No matter how dedicated he is to his preparation, if he comes back a week early he comes back a week early. And if my memory serves me correctly, he was supposed to be out for at least another week anyway?

No need to risk him at this point in the season, as much as we would love to see him shut down Harvey.

FWIW, I'm happy with just the one change of Griffen for Murphy. Murph was playing on a half back flank anyway, so the forward structure won't be affected. Backline of:

B: Morris Lake Harbrow
HB: Hargrave Williams Gilbee
C: Griffen Cooney Addison
HF: Higgins Grant Hahn
F: Stack Hall Aker
R: Hudson Boyd Cross
INT: Minson Gia Eagleton Hill

Hill's spot is the most under threat, but I like the idea of Johnno coming back through Willy. Did I hear somewhere that they have a bye this week though? If that's the case, then he should play seniors because we need games in him.

Hargrave won't be dropped, important part of the side and Eade has shown a reluctance to drop senior players in the past.

The Coon Dog
17-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Did I hear somewhere that they have a bye this week though? If that's the case, then he should play seniors because we need games in him.

Yes, Williamstown do have a bye.

Link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7186)

Ozza
17-05-2010, 07:02 PM
If Picken is not ready to go...who tags Harvey? Or do we not tag him this time? (scary thought with his history against us - aside from Rd 2 last year).

Sedat
17-05-2010, 07:08 PM
No matter how dedicated he is to his preparation, if he comes back a week early he comes back a week early. And if my memory serves me correctly, he was supposed to be out for at least another week anyway?

No need to risk him at this point in the season, as much as we would love to see him shut down Harvey.
I'm not suggesting to bring him in if he isn't ready. What I am suggesting is that if he has been cleared by the medical staff to resume playing this weekend, I'd be comfortable seeing him come straight into the seniors. He has had surgery to repair his ankle injury, which is quite different to a groin or hammy 'give-it-another-week' type injury. When he's right to go, he'll be right to go flat out.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Channel 9 just reported that both Johno & Murphy will miss the next three weeks.

azabob
17-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah, everyone who thinks Johnno should be in the firsts is blinded by emotion :rolleyes:

Fact is Johnno's running is still elite and he was one of our best in round 5.
He managed 18 touches in round 6 in an uber-flood, despite copping a knock during the game.
If he's fit he's in the 22 unless there has been a decent lay-off, and I don't think 2 weeks is enough to warrant him returning via the VFL especially when we are struggling for scoring options to support Baz. Stack is inexperienced so will be up and down, ditto Grant (who is playing HF anyway) , Gia is playing more in the middle, Murph is out & Hahn isn't in great form.
For mine, Johnno is the forgotten man and will prove damaging as the support for Barry, especially in the games where Barry struggles to kick goals.

Johnson has to come back through Williamstown.

How much time has Johnson spent deep forward? Is his body up to the bash and crash of playing deep forward anymore? I dont think so.

You say he got 18 touches in an uber flood, I think stats in todays football are overated and especially on that night they were.

azabob
17-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Johnson apparently out for another 3 weeks. Surprise Surprise - NOT

Just on Channel 7 news.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I was at that game Mofra and the stats are not a reflection on his performance.

He seemed as though he coudlnt run at pace ..... his lack of form was displayed when he kicked into an opponent rather than over him on I think three occasions.

Nope, that game was not one to put down as a positive for Jonno.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't understand the love affair with Moles.

You may be interested in the report on the Bulldogs website from Williamstown Development Manager David Maple today about Moles game on the weekend.

"Brodie Moles was a standout, he broke the game open with a lot of speed and run and carry. He managed to kick 3 goals in the second half."

I guess that is why plenty of posters like what they see with Moles.

Mantis
17-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Johnson has to come back through Williamstown.

How much time has Johnson spent deep forward? Is his body up to the bash and crash of playing deep forward anymore? I dont think so.

You say he got 18 touches in an uber flood, I think stats in todays football are overated and especially on that night they were.

What role do you see Johnno filling if he isn't playing deep in the forwardline?

azabob
17-05-2010, 07:55 PM
What role do you see Johnno filling if he isn't playing deep in the forwardline?

Good question. I think if he's to play he has to play in the forward 50 but not throw himself into the marking contest as he has done previously.
It will be interesting to see where he plays when he does come back.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-05-2010, 07:59 PM
According to the afl website, both Johnno and Murphy are out for 3 weeks.
Hard to see Johnno coming straight back in to the side now, without a run with Willy.

Before I Die
17-05-2010, 08:05 PM
You may be interested in the report on the Bulldogs website from Williamstown Development Manager David Maple today about Moles game on the weekend.

"Brodie Moles was a standout, he broke the game open with a lot of speed and run and carry. He managed to kick 3 goals in the second half."

I guess that is why plenty of posters like what they see with Moles.

I am not disputing the fact that he had a good game. What I am saying is that he played the first 4 games on the back of good perfomances in the NAB cup and was then dropped from the Dogs team for poor form. He has been injured for a few weeks and then has a good (possibly a standout*) game at Willy. Suddenly he is again being touted as the saviour of our midfield.

I don't think anyone ever disputed that he is a very capable VFL player and I am hopeful that he can take the next step. However, I would like to see him string 2 or 3 good performances together at VFL level before he gets another game at AFL level.

* Chris Maple was asked "were there any standout performers on the weekend?". He referred to Moles, Little and Panos when answering this question. The interviewer could have just as easily asked "who were the best performers on the weekend". Not sure if the description "standout" carries quite as much weight in this circumstance.

Before I Die
17-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Good question. I think if he's to play he has to play in the forward 50 but not throw himself into the marking contest as he has done previously.
It will be interesting to see where he plays when he does come back.

Aren't his injuries more more running related than crash and bash? I think he has more chance of seeing the season out if he plays out of the pocket rather than running around in the midfield.

Also, I wouldn't play him at Williamstown. He shouldn't come back until he is fit to play and then it should be straight into the Dogs team. He doesn't need to regain touch, he has 350 games of experience. What he needs to be is fully fit and the medicos and coaches should make sure this is the case before he takes the field.

Doc26
17-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Think we have bigger concerns with Shaun who is obviously labouring through something which I hope isn't an OP flare up. Unless my eyes are deceiving me a tough decision may need to be made to manage the condition to ensure we have him available in the second half.

LongWait
18-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Think we have bigger concerns with Shaun who is obviously labouring through something which I hope isn't an OP flare up. Unless my eyes are deceiving me a tough decision may need to be made to manage the condition to ensure we have him available in the second half.

I fear you are correct Doc. Higgins is not even walking freely at times.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Liam Picken is a chance to return next week as well. If he is ok it will be interesting to see if he comes straight back in or has a week at Pt Gellibrand. It will probably depend on the match-ups.

I'm far more excited by picken's return than Brad's to be honest. Brad will take a while to get settled, but Picken is a great tagger and we have nobody else who plays the role as good as him. Get back Liam!

macca
18-05-2010, 01:42 AM
If Picken is not ready to go...who tags Harvey? Or do we not tag him this time? (scary thought with his history against us - aside from Rd 2 last year).

DFA, his next big assignment is on Harvey.

Mantis
18-05-2010, 07:37 AM
DFA, his next big assignment is on Harvey.

Dylan struggled with Davey's pace & agility a few weeks back and with Harvey being a slippery customer I think he would struggle with this match-up.

aker39
18-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Dylan struggled with Davey's pace & agility a few weeks back and with Harvey being a slippery customer I think he would struggle with this match-up.

Who else do you think could do the job?

Mantis
18-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Who else do you think could do the job?

A shot-gun? :D

Not sure, if Picken is ok I would play him with this role in mind. If he isn't right I wouldn't mind seeing Harbrow having a go at playing in this type of role, could add another string to his bow which we could call on later on in the season. ie. perhaps a role on Ablett?

I would also play Addison on him for a bit with the sole purpose to bury Harvey's arse in the ground as often as possible to take a bit of the sting out of his legs.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I am not disputing the fact that he had a good game. What I am saying is that he played the first 4 games on the back of good perfomances in the NAB cup and was then dropped from the Dogs team for poor form. He has been injured for a few weeks and then has a good (possibly a standout*) game at Willy. Suddenly he is again being touted as the saviour of our midfield.

I could be wrong but I thought that Moles was selected in the team but dropped out because of injury the last time.

Mantis
18-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I could be wrong but I thought that Moles was selected in the team but dropped out because of injury the last time.

You are correct.

He missed our rd 6 clash with St.Kilda due an ankle injury.

The week before he had 26 touches against Adelaide.

chef
18-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Yeah, he came out of the side because of an ankle injury, not form.

Edit. Beat me to it Mantis.

G-Mo77
18-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Not sure, if Picken is ok I would play him with this role in mind.

Could be a chance to play

"Defender Liam Picken is likely to return from an ankle injury against North Melbourne this week, while Ryan Griffen has overcome the back tightness that forced his late withdrawal against the Sydney Swans.

Picken will play his first game since round three after managing to overcome the forecast eight-week injury in just five."

Johnson will return, says Eade (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/94531/default.aspx)

Mantis
18-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Could be a chance to play

"Defender Liam Picken is likely to return from an ankle injury against North Melbourne this week, while Ryan Griffen has overcome the back tightness that forced his late withdrawal against the Sydney Swans.

Picken will play his first game since round three after managing to overcome the forecast eight-week injury in just five."

Johnson will return, says Eade (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/94531/default.aspx)

Good news.

I will keep the shot gun in the shed for now. ;)

comrade
18-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I must say, I feel much better knowing Picken is back. He's become a critical component of our midfield structure and we've sorely missed him.

IN: Griff, Picken, Everitt*

OUT: Murph, Addison, Eagleton

* If Everitt isn't right, or needs a gallop at Williamstown, Moles should be next in line.

Mofra
19-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Prefer not too throw the team around too much after a couple of wins.

Desipura
19-05-2010, 10:09 AM
there will be at least 2 changes In: Griffen & Picken for Murphy & Hill.
If there was a 3rd it would be Moles for Addison.

bulldogsman
19-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Agree with this, Hill was MIA last week. Addison deserves a spot for at least another week.

Doc26
19-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I will be both surprised and alarmed if Shaun is risked again this week. I would prefer the MC takes a cautious approach with managing him through the season so that he might be available to us in the later part of the season.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2010, 11:09 AM
If there was a 3rd it would be Moles for Addison.

Moles should replace Eagleton

Desipura
19-05-2010, 01:36 PM
'should' and 'will' seem to be the key words.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I will be both surprised and alarmed if Shaun is risked again this week. I would prefer the MC takes a cautious approach with managing him through the season so that he might be available to us in the later part of the season.

Inside information or based on observation?

I certainly agree Higgins looks half the player he usually is. Not moving well at all.

GVGjr
19-05-2010, 09:11 PM

I'm not sure he is right to go.

Mantis
19-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure he is right to go.

What is the problem?

Doc26
20-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Inside information or based on observation?

I certainly agree Higgins looks half the player he usually is. Not moving well at all.

TBB, more based on my close observation.