PDA

View Full Version : Rocket on 'On The Couch'

The Coon Dog
17-05-2010, 08:11 PM
For this with Foxtel, Rodney Eade will be on 'On The Couch' at 8.30pm tonight.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 08:13 PM
There isn't anyway to watch this over the net, is there?

The Coon Dog
17-05-2010, 08:20 PM
There isn't anyway to watch this over the net, is there?

Not that I know of.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 08:24 PM
There are a few live streaming sites around. justinn.tv and ustream are two, google them to get their addresses.

Fox sports usually shows on the couch interviews on their website the next day or two.

chef
17-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks TCD.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 09:01 PM
For this with Foxtel, Rodney Eade will be on 'On The Couch' at 8.30pm tonight.

Thanks something to tape for when I get home

Hotdog60
17-05-2010, 09:06 PM
My guide tells me that Fox HD has on the couch at 8.30pm, it's 10.30pm if you don't have IQ2.:(

bornadog
17-05-2010, 09:09 PM
My guide tells me that Fox HD has on the couch at 8.30pm, it's 10.30pm if you don't have IQ2.:(

On 501 its still on at 8.30pm

http://www.foxtel.com.au/whats-on/tv-guide/default.htm#/sCgsBA2UEh9Dr5gNjBAADdgoBA2cKAQN4BUJyilvAqmAAA3kEZAEBA2QFQdL 8Rl8AAAAFY2MGAQE_

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Just caught the end of conversation but did someone from freo get caught with cocaine?

BulldogBelle
17-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Just caught the end of conversation but did someone from freo get caught with cocaine?

Michael Johnson being investigated.

(I can't watch On The Couch)

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Michael Johnson being investigated.

(I can't watch On The Couch)

Thanks

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Mike Sheehan's question was quite left field re: Bazza

'Did you give a hint last week you might rest him this week?' Which Rocket replied no.

Hmm..

Hotdog60
17-05-2010, 10:12 PM
On 501 its still on at 8.30pm

http://www.foxtel.com.au/whats-on/tv-guide/default.htm#/sCgsBA2UEh9Dr5gNjBAADdgoBA2cKAQN4BUJyilvAqmAAA3kEZAEBA2QFQdL 8Rl8AAAAFY2MGAQE_

Thanks Bornadog, just finished watching it. My internet TV guide is crap.:D

The Pie Man
17-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Wasn't as annoying as their interview with Scott West in 08, but that was still irritating.

I wonder where Gerard Healy's head's at sometimes - Minson's still in the reserves? Does he watch footy outside of games he commentates on?

I'll admit I still hold it against him for continually referring to Matthew Boyd as Brad

Why the fascination with a game played weeks ago? Way too much focus on the St Kilda game, who at this rate won't make top 4 anyway.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Pointless interview, No good info out of it as questions asked were not very good to be hnest

AndrewP6
17-05-2010, 10:24 PM
As others have said, not much to take out of that interview... past matches, past issues, blah blah blah.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 10:27 PM

'Did you give a hint last week you might rest him this week?' Which Rocket replied no.

Hmm..

"Did the way Carlton sliced through St Kilda make you reconsider your strategy?

*awkward silence*

No"

I might have misunderstood it, but i Eade said Johno trained on Saturday (?) and was close to playing. Doesn't sound similar to the 3 weeks reported on AFL.com

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 10:30 PM

*awkward silence*

No"

I might have misunderstood it, but i Eade said Johno trained on Saturday (?) and was close to playing. Doesn't sound similar to the 3 weeks reported on AFL.com

Yeah he said that he trained on sat and was close to playing but was infering that during training on sat he had a setback

GVGjr
17-05-2010, 10:44 PM
They are masters of asking a question and not waiting for the full answer before chipping in with the next question.

jazzadogs
18-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Hmm..
Didn't Barry say in an interview last week that he would like to be rested/thought he would be rested in the coming weeks?

I'd say Mike has read the headline of that article and not so much the story.

Annoying how they continued to focus on Rocket's 'tactics' from the Saints game after he stated that it was more the players not following instructions.

LongWait
18-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Unlike some others, I thought that the interview was revealing in that Rocket stated that talks are being held with Griffen about a new contract and that they will soon commence with Harbrow, if they haven't already. Rocket said he was confident of retaining both.

jazzadogs
18-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Unlike some others, I thought that the interview was revealing in that Rocket stated that talks are being held with Griffen about a new contract and that they will soon commence with Harbrow, if they haven't already. Rocket said he was confident of retaining both.
I forgot that part, which did actually surprise me. Not the Griffen part, but to publicly state that they're confident of retaining Harbrow was a surprise.

Obviously the cynics will say that "What else could he have said? Nah we think he's gone for sure" but I think he definitely could have worded it differently...just saying that talks had commenced with his management would have been enough.

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 02:45 AM
What a pathetic interview. I felt embarrassed for Eade watching that. He gets asked what he thinks of Carlton beating St. Kilda! What the heck? The interview with Ben Cousins was great. I know it's different circumstances but I could think of much better questions to fire away at Rocket.

Does anyone think that Griffen is actually a chance of leaving considering of what's happened in his personal life? I would've thought if he'd ever go anywhere it would be back to Adelaide, not further away.

Mantis
18-05-2010, 09:16 AM
What a pathetic interview. I felt embarrassed for Eade watching that. He gets asked what he thinks of Carlton beating St. Kilda! What the heck? The interview with Ben Cousins was great. I know it's different circumstances but I could think of much better questions to fire away at Rocket.

Does anyone think that Griffen is actually a chance of leaving considering of what's happened in his personal life? I would've thought if he'd ever go anywhere it would be back to Adelaide, not further away.

What would these questions be?

chef
18-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Yes, I do.

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I think we'll see Gold Coast pinch some good young stars from some of the clubs struggling at the moment, like Hawthorn, Adelaide, North Melbourne, etc, and maybe one or at most two from the better-performing. The players from Collingwood, Geelong, Bulldogs, St Kilda, etc aren't going to easily turn their backs on the chance to play in a premiership team, no matter the money offered. GC would be keen to get Ablett because just having him there, with a good list around him, would help to convince a player to come north as the chances of a premiership for GC would be better than 50/50. I think that'd be the key thing looked at by the seriously elite players: will they have a shot at the flag with the new club? So with GC focusing on players who aren't keen on leaving — Ablett, Griffen and the like — and recruiting rugby players for the marketing value, are they neglecting the majority of their team and the structure of the list?

After all, young men become AFL players to win premierships, not endorsement deals. The money helps set them up, but they're not all going to be offered millions a year. It might be a larger cap, but it's still a cap.

The team to watch is GWS. Sheeds is ruthless, and won't give two shits about doing it the dirty way, if it's going to be successful for his club.

Bulldog Revolution
18-05-2010, 10:30 AM
What would these questions be?

Is the group putting too much pressure on itself, and does he need to mentally lighten the load on the players? We are playing like we are defending a premiership rather than attacking the season in the hopes of winning one i.e playing like we have something to lose, rather than something to gain. I think an internal attitude change is needed. That said I thought we took steps in that direction against Sydney after an inept performance and approach against the Dees.

How he's going to inject more young legs into the midfield? to deal with Carltons/Collingwoods. I suspect Picken, Ward, Moles and Reid might be mentioned but I think its an issue.

Thoughts on why the team is not converting set shot chances in 2010 at a Bulldog like percentage?

Why Hargrave is struggling?

And as much as I like the coach and I've been very pleased to see him developing the kids I cant help but wonder whether blaming players for not following instructions is just a cop out excuse from a coach?

Is it not a well held axiom in coaching that when you win, it was the players who were terrific and when you lose the coaches take the blame, at least to the media.

If Rocket feels they aren't following instructions then he needs to think about how he communicates the message.

stefoid
18-05-2010, 10:33 AM

*awkward silence*

No"

I dont expect Eade to give our gameplan away, but whats wrong with the question? Its a pertinent question - Calrton played the Saints a different way to us and they won easy while we just failed.

I think our game against the saints demonstrated that both sides have problems scoring when playing that style of footy, and although that style of footy - defensively - is great preparation for grinding finals games, there is no reason you cant mix it up with faster delivery into the f50 and back quick forwards to win the ball against their opponents rather than hang on to the ball at all costs every time.

I hope to see grant and stack given plenty of opportunity to establish themselves in the forward line, and unfortuantely it looks like injuries rather than planning is going to allow for that. A potential forward line with Aker, Johno, Hall and Hahn as the core just looks too slow and cumbersome in 2010.

rant over.

Mofra
18-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I think our game against the saints demonstrated that both sides have problems scoring when playing that style of footy, and although that style of footy - defensively - is great preparation for grinding finals games, there is no reason you cant mix it up with faster delivery into the f50 and back fleet footed forwards to win the ball against their opponents rather than hang on to the ball at all costs in the hope of spotting up a target in a small areas with 30 odd players inside it.
There were occasions against theSaints we held onto the ball too long but I don't think that was the explicit instruction from Rocket - I have no doubt that if we have a fast transition and Hall has Zac one on one, the instruction will be to get it to him rather than hold it up and try and spot up a lead whilst 18 Saints flood back into the F50.

stefoid
18-05-2010, 10:58 AM
There were occasions against theSaints we held onto the ball too long but I don't think that was the explicit instruction from Rocket - I have no doubt that if we have a fast transition and Hall has Zac one on one, the instruction will be to get it to him rather than hold it up and try and spot up a lead whilst 18 Saints flood back into the F50.

yeah, IF Hall is there, but on many occasions lots of teams these days have NOBODY in the F50 when they are bringing the ball out of defence.

So you got two options - kick to space and have a footrace back towards goal...

...or hold onto the ball and wait for your teammates and their opponents flood back into the F50.

so all Im saying is, without some genuinely quick forwards with good ball handling abilities, option A is not available to us.

And the bonus is if we have those quick forwards with sure hands, when we DO kick long to hall and the ball is spilled at the contest, they are a chance to crumb it.

case in point: the saints scoring opportunities have dried up dramatically since they lost Riewolt - his speed enabled him to burn his opponents on the rebound. Grant could do that too, in bursts.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2010, 11:23 AM
The other thing that Rocket said was that there are 4 to 5 players who when ready will come into the team...or words to that effect.

The Coon Dog
18-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Also said he was different to other coaches about players who elect to leave when pressed on Harbrow.

He said he'd still play a player if they advised him they were leaving during the season. Felt that dropping them meant you not only lost that player for future seasons, but the current one too.

Rocket said in some ways it wasn't really alot different with GC & GWS than the current system in that a player keen to depart is not going to wait until after the season to decide, but has already made up his mind & there's no doubt his manager would have been in discussions already with potential suitors.

Mantis
18-05-2010, 11:34 AM
The other thing that Rocket said was that there are 4 to 5 players who when ready will come into the team...or words to that effect.

1. Griffen
2. Johnson
3. Picken
4. Ward
5. Everitt

-----

We also have Moles, Reid, Wood and a few others who could play a role if/ when required.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2010, 11:49 AM
1. Griffen
2. Johnson
3. Picken
4. Ward
5. Everitt
-----

We also have Moles, Reid, Wood and a few others who could play a role if/ when required.

Hit the nail on the head with those 5 Mantis. The problem is going to be who do you drop???:eek:

aker39
18-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Hit the nail on the head with those 5 Mantis. The problem is going to be who do you drop???:eek:

Grant
Addison
Stack
Hill
Eagleton

Bulldog4life
18-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Grant
Addison
Stack
Hill
Eagleton

There is our team for the GF.:)

Desipura
18-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Grant
Addison
Stack
Hill
Eagleton
With Murphy out for 3 weeks, Grant must play. Unless of course his form drops off. In fact, I expect Grant to lift in Murphy's absence.

Mofra
18-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Grant
Addison
Stack
Hill
Eagleton
On current form, Shaggy is no certainty & Grant would just hold his spot. Fairly hard call for spot 22 though.

Mantis
18-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Grant
Addison
Stack
Hill
Eagleton

Possibly.

I still think that we need to play a quicker type (Grant or Stack) in the forwardline to help with defensive pressure.

I guess we still have plenty of time to get the 'mix' right and if we continue to pump the games into our younger guys and they keep their form up we will have plenty of options available which puts us in a good position.

chef
18-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Grant
Addison
Stack
Hill
Eagleton

I would have him in the side before Everitt(form permitting).

Desipura
18-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Possibly.

I still think that we need to play a quicker type (Grant or Stack) in the forwardline to help with defensive pressure.

I guess we still have plenty of time to get the 'mix' right and if we continue to pump the games into our younger guys and they keep their form up we will have plenty of options available which puts us in a good position.
I do not rate Stack quick or quickish. Perhaps it is due to his running style that he looks like he is just cruising.

mighty_west
18-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Also said he was different to other coaches about players who elect to leave when pressed on Harbrow.

He said he'd still play a player if they advised him they were leaving during the season. Felt that dropping them meant you not only lost that player for future seasons, but the current one too.

Rocket said in some ways it wasn't really alot different with GC & GWS than the current system in that a player keen to depart is not going to wait until after the season to decide, but has already made up his mind & there's no doubt his manager would have been in discussions already with potential suitors.

I can't understand how other clubs would feel differently, especially if that team was a genuine chance of winning a Premiership.

It would be like, Ablett letting Geelong know that he was off the the GC after the season, and Thompson cracking the sads and not playing him, really jeaperdising their chances of winning another Premiership in 2010.

Topdog
18-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I can't understand how other clubs would feel differently, especially if that team was a genuine chance of winning a Premiership.

It would be like, Ablett letting Geelong know that he was off the the GC after the season, and Thompson cracking the sads and not playing him, really jeaperdising their chances of winning another Premiership in 2010.

I think it was Paul Roos who said he would drop anyone who signed for GC before the end of the season.

jazzadogs
18-05-2010, 04:17 PM
I think it was Paul Roos who said he would drop anyone who signed for GC before the end of the season.
Worsfold said a similar thing I'm pretty sure, Williams too maybe?

chef
18-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah, he said they can leave now(this was at the start of the season) if they are looking to join GC.

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 04:44 PM

I think it comes down to not only loyalty, but also cohesion within the team. Different people have different ways of looking at it. As an example, when a sales executive leaves a company, they are often shown straight to the door — because they have access to critical and sensitive company data. A receptionist, on the other hand, might give a month's notice.

Back to football, some coaches may feel that a player spending the remainder of their time at the club gathering intelligence for their next club is just not acceptable, no matter the cost to the team of that player's absence.

It could also just be sour grapes. I think that's definitely the reason in Thompson's case (if Ablett was to leave, I think Thompson would crack the sads something fierce).

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 04:45 PM

This only encourages the player to keep it from the club.

Sockeye Salmon
18-05-2010, 04:55 PM
It also depends on how the club is travelling on-field.

If Dustin Martin walks out on Richmond, why would Richmond keep on developing him? What's going to happen if they don't play him, they might lose?

Dumping Ablett mid-season might cost Geelong a premiership.

Desipura
18-05-2010, 05:08 PM

If Dustin Martin walks out on Richmond, why would Richmond keep on developing him? What's going to happen if they don't play him, they might lose?

If they do not play him his stocks cannot rise any higher. If he plays and gets in the top 3 in the B & F, he may be rated higher and Richmond my be able to get better compensation ie higher draft pick.

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 05:31 PM
If they do not play him his stocks cannot rise any higher. If he plays and gets in the top 3 in the B & F, he may be rated higher and Richmond my be able to get better compensation ie higher draft pick.

By giving the new sides the top draft picks AS WELL AS allowing them to poach one player from each team, doesn't this mean that the player CAN just get up and walk out, going through the draft, if the GC think he's worth it? Harbrow, Martin, Ablett, etc would all warrant using one of those top 3 picks.

Does this then mean that the club CAN end up with no compensation whatsoever?

Also, something less looked at: there will still be the normal trade and player movement between clubs ASIDE from the GC.

Teams like Richmond, compensation picks or not, could well be gutted, especially if a Geelong-sans-Ablett-but-with-massive-cap-room comes calling.

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 05:38 PM
By giving the new sides the top draft picks AS WELL AS allowing them to poach one player from each team, doesn't this mean that the player CAN just get up and walk out, going through the draft, if the GC think he's worth it? Harbrow, Martin, Ablett, etc would all warrant using one of those top 3 picks.

Does this then mean that the club CAN end up with no compensation whatsoever?

Also, something less looked at: there will still be the normal trade and player movement between clubs ASIDE from the GC.

Teams like Richmond, compensation picks or not, could well be gutted, especially if a Geelong-sans-Ablett-but-with-massive-cap-room comes calling.

Oh, worry not: it will be screw or be screwed in the brave new world post-GC17. There will be more swapping and dodgy deals done than at an alternative lifestyle convention in Vegas.

Cyberdoggie
18-05-2010, 06:34 PM
With Murphy out for 3 weeks, Grant must play. Unless of course his form drops off. In fact, I expect Grant to lift in Murphy's absence.

I thought he played Murph's role very well in the second half against Sydney.

GVGjr
18-05-2010, 07:03 PM

That's the way I see it. Grant has a good chance now to have an extended run in the forward line. A great opportunity for him.

mighty_west
18-05-2010, 07:38 PM
That's the way I see it. Grant has a good chance now to have an extended run in the forward line. A great opportunity for him.

As well as his intensity which has been very good thus far, a few times he lead out from CHF in the final term on the weekend, really burn't off his opponent, very Murph like, but also shows how good a leading full forward he could be in the future.

mighty_west
18-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Dumping Ablett mid-season might cost Geelong a premiership.

Exactly, how pee'd off would Geelong supporters be if they made another GF, and got pipped at the post whilst Ablett was sitting in the stands!

Templeton31
18-05-2010, 08:39 PM
They are masters of asking a question and not waiting for the full answer before chipping in with the next question.

I agree completely. It was very frustrating with last weeks Cousins interview - cut him off with the next q, sometimes before he'd even half answered the previous q.