PDA

View Full Version : Dogs lose Murphy and Johnson for three weeks

The Coon Dog
17-05-2010, 08:18 PM
WESTERN Bulldogs forwards Robert Murphy and Brad Johnson could be missing for the next three weeks, a cruel blow for the team that got its season back on track with a strong win over the Sydney Swans last weekend.

Murphy will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Monday night to remove a small cyst at the back of his patella tendon.

The club expect Murphy to miss between two and three weeks.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/94493/default.aspx)

Dazza
17-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Gee that is not good news about Johnson. Starting to get a familiar feel about this one....

chef
17-05-2010, 08:27 PM
:(Hope Johnno's injury concern isn't Scott West 2008 allover again.

AndrewP6
17-05-2010, 08:32 PM
:(Hope Johnno's injury concern isn't Scott West 2008 allover again.

Been saying that for a while... "3 weeks away"... :(

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Bad news about Murphy and Johnno especially. NM, Fremantle and Collingwood?

Dont we play Essendon?

AndrewP6
17-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Bad news about Murphy and Johnno especially. NM, Fremantle and Collingwood?

Dont we play Essendon?

Yep, next 3 matches are Norf, Bombres, Colliwobbles. Freo is Round 17...

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Look at the positives, Johnno wont be kicking any footys after the siren to win us the match in round 9 this year! ;)

angelopetraglia
17-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Bad feeling about Johnson, hopefully he can get back to full fitness. Up and running he still has a lot to offer our footy team.

FlightoftheCallanWards
17-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Bad news about Johnno. Really hope he can get up and about soon.

Also Sorry if it's already been mentioned but it's the first i've seen of it. Ayce Cordy listed as out for the year on Western Bulldogs site. Terrible news for the young guy.

LostDoggy
17-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Bad news about Johnno. Really hope he can get up and about soon.

Also Sorry if it's already been mentioned but it's the first i've seen of it. Ayce Cordy listed as out for the year on Western Bulldogs site. Terrible news for the young guy.

Hope it is a mistake, anyone know if it is true?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2010, 11:41 PM
How many cysts has Murphy had removed? Seems like a few. His body doesn't sound too great, can't see him playing too many more years.

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 09:26 AM
What bothers me is that his form has been down, so obviously this injury has been a problem, and been carried, for some time. When we're not winning games, but still putting injured players on the park, it doesn't say a lot for our reputed “depth”…

Desipura
18-05-2010, 10:01 AM
park Johnno in the garage and bring him out on a sunny Sunday afternoon a (say round 12 vs Bris at Etihad)

Axe Man
18-05-2010, 12:15 PM
What bothers me is that his form has been down, so obviously this injury has been a problem, and been carried, for some time. When we're not winning games, but still putting injured players on the park, it doesn't say a lot for our reputed “depth”…

I think the one positive out of this story is our depth in the forward line now with the emergence of Grant and Stack. If Johnno and Bob had both been down in the past couple of seasons our forward line would have been in a fair bit of trouble (obviously Hall helps now as well). Hopefully the young guys can perform in their absence.

Desipura
18-05-2010, 12:23 PM
How many cysts has Murphy had removed? Seems like a few. His body doesn't sound too great, can't see him playing too many more years.
A very early call..... if we play him on a half back flank for the remainder of his career, it would be less taxing on his body. Again I repeat, Grant is going to become more important over the next few weeks.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-05-2010, 02:54 PM
A very early call..... if we play him on a half back flank for the remainder of his career, it would be less taxing on his body. Again I repeat, Grant is going to become more important over the next few weeks.

Not really.

Murphy has struggled with his body for 2-3 years and in the past 12 months, it has only got worse. We heard about his recovery in the off-season and feeling the best he's felt in years - yet eight weeks in and he's got a similar problem. He's played a very taxing role, it's no suprise his knee(s) are starting to give way with all the running and jumping he's been asked to do.

Hopefully he can return and offer us something across half back, but I think it's pretty clear Murphy isn't going to be playing at 31-32+.

Desipura
18-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Not really.

Murphy has struggled with his body for 2-3 years and in the past 12 months, it has only got worse. We heard about his recovery in the off-season and feeling the best he's felt in years - yet eight weeks in and he's got a similar problem. He's played a very taxing role, it's no suprise his knee(s) are starting to give way with all the running and jumping he's been asked to do.

Hopefully he can return and offer us something across half back, but I think it's pretty clear Murphy isn't going to be playing at 31-32+.
He is turning 28 in June, so another 3 years playing accross half back is not beyond him. His reading of the play and experience will be needed as the likes of Johnson, Aker and to a lesser extent Ealgeton retire at seasons end.
With the pace of the game getting quicker each year, there probably wont be too many players playing well into their 30's.

LostDoggy
18-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Yep, next 3 matches are Norf, Bombres, Colliwobbles. Freo is Round 17...

Bugger!