PDA

View Full Version : The "I was wrong" thread

Mofra
21-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Well here it is. A change to stand up (interweb-like) and say you were wrong about a player (or players) in terms of what they can and can't do, will they make it, etc etc.

1. At the start of the year I expressed grave doubts about Stack as a player, whether he'd make the grade, his intensity and the like. I hadn't been overly impressed by his VFL form at any stage and his fading in and out of games worried me. A 4 goal game led me to believe he had ability, but the consistency was desire I thought was missing.
I saw something during the Swans game which turned me 180 degrees - he seemed to be determine to influence play when he didn't have the ball with running, deft tap ons, and a general desire to be in the contest. Clearly I had misjudged him and am now excited about what he can bring to the table.

2. I thought D-Mac would make it; reasonable kick with good distance, solid defensive side to his game, not bad overhead, and he had done a job on Aaron Davey at senior level. Nobody would doubt that there are guys who would be playing VFL if we had a fully fit list that would be well ahead of him these days.

Anyone else have players that had completely misjudged?

bornadog
21-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I know this is the I was wrong thread, but I am still not sure about Addison and whether he is in our best 22. I could be wrong and would be happy to admit I am, but time will tell.

Doc26
21-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I was wrong to believe Grant couldn't hold down a spot in our 22 this season.

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I was wrong to doubt Tom Williams. Yes, I know he still makes some silly mistakes, but that is fixable with training and experience, and the boy has talent, is fit and I think he deserves to be rated as highly as the club does rate him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I have two 'I was wrongs' to confess to.

1. I said on another forum 3 or 4 years ago, that I thought Farren Ray may well be the best of Cooney & Griff, and we would not see the best of him til he had played 100 games for us... Wrong on both fronts there!!

2. I thought Mal Lynch would be an outstanding player for the Dogs. I based this off:
• one NAB cup game he played (against Swans I think), and
• an interview with him I saw, where I thought he came across as a very impressive motivated young man with leadership qualities.

Still think talent-wise Lynch could've been a very handy player for us, especially with the current dearth of small crumbing forwards at the club. I guess his application though wasn't up to scratch and the club lost patience.

The Pie Man
21-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Ryan Griffen.

There might be a more appropriate term than 'wrong' but my posting history will point that mid/late last year I wanted more from him, and perhaps wouldn't mind if the club looked to trade him for a key forward of note.

His form in the 09 finals and this year have lived up to the high expectations that I had of him after the blistering start to his career. That's probably why I judged him so harshly, as he promised so much at the start (he was great in the Collingwood final in 06, he was close to becoming my favourite player at the time)

I was wrong about Cameron Faulkner - that was before I found WOOF, but I thought he was going to be a gun.

I always hoped Patrick Bowden would pull his finger out and be the star I felt he was capable of being - not to be.

stefoid
21-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Sorry, cant think of anything :)

mighty_west
21-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Russell Shields - 1988, remember watching him bag 5 goals in a game against Hawthorn at VFL Park, thought he was something special, he ended up playing 3 games for the club....:D

Another one for Cam Faulkner, thought he was going to be a gun.

Michael West, remember watching his games in the under 18's, switching from the ruck & forward line, unfortunatly did his knee the day he kicked 12 or 13 goals in a game, and also suffrered a serious knee injury for Werribee after we drafted him, was all she wrote.

...and now for the big one : Scott West
I remember watching this skinny kid run around, and apart from that game where he botted 6 goals against Essendon @ Whitten Oval, he just didn't look like it, wasn't overally quick, didn't seeM to have the best skills......BU BOW!

Dry Rot
21-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I thought Rawlings would be our tall forward saviour. :(

mighty_west
21-05-2010, 01:23 PM

The way Rawlings was hunted by the club, talked up by Rhoder, giving us all hope that he was this great forward etc etc, i think alot of supporters got sucked in.

Remember, his great season in the forward line for the Hawks, he booted 30 something goals...:D

Dry Rot
21-05-2010, 01:27 PM
The way Rawlings was hunted by the club, talked up by Rhoder, giving us all hope that he was this great forward etc etc, i think alot of supporters got sucked in.

Remember, his great season in the forward line for the Hawks, he booted 30 something goals...:D

Had a magnificent first game for us, IIRC. ;)

Rest weren't too hot though.

turtle
21-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I have two 'I was wrongs' to confess to.

1. I said on another forum 3 or 4 years ago, that I thought Farren Ray may well be the best of Cooney & Griff, and we would not see the best of him til he had played 100 games for us... Wrong on both fronts there!!

2. I thought Mal Lynch would be an outstanding player for the Dogs. I based this off:
• one NAB cup game he played (against Swans I think), and
• an interview with him I saw, where I thought he came across as a very impressive motivated young man with leadership qualities.

Still think talent-wise Lynch could've been a very handy player for us, especially with the current dearth of small crumbing forwards at the club. I guess his application though wasn't up to scratch and the club lost patience.

I thought Lynch was let go because of chronic injury issues

BulldogBelle
21-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I thought Peter Quill would win a Brownlow based on his first pre-season praccy match at Skinner Reserve.

Idiot.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I was wrong about Barry Hall. I was not upset when he was drafted, but listening to his interviews, he just didn't seem to have attoned for his past misdemeanors. ' I can't promise anything' was the line I believe. I thought to myself at the time "he will lose it again; positive".
I was wrong. He held his cool as Luke hodge tried to give him a wedgie in the NAB, has copped it left and right and has held sway. So far anyway, and hope I stay wrong.

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Mate, you call that 'wrong'? That's nothing. A real mistake would be to express the same sentiments, as I did, about Andrew McDougall.

bornadog
21-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I thought Skipper could make it as a KPP, but in the end too slow and too short to ruck as well.

Go_Dogs
21-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Sorry, cant think of anything :)

Ditto, probably won't need to post much in this thread ;)

I thought Travis Baird was going to make it.

G-Mo77
21-05-2010, 04:00 PM

So did I especially after his 6 or 7 goals in his first game at the club.

I also thought the same about Jackovich. :o

dadsgirl16
21-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I won a case of champagne because someone else was wrong about Jackovich!

Sockeye Salmon
21-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I thought Lynch was let go because of chronic injury issues

Not really

Greystache
21-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I was wrong about John Georgiades, as a young boy I got number 9 on my jumper after his third game, my dad told me to give it a few more games but I was sure!

I doubted Jarrad Grant had the intensity or work ethic to make it, still early but I may end up wrong there too.

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I thought Skipper could make it as a KPP, but in the end too slow and too short to ruck as well.

Hmm.. he's been given a second chance (at least as a ruck), I'll hold off on that assessment for a season or two yet...

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I was wrong about:

> Hawthorn not being able to win a Premiership because of their horrendous in-house culture, over-reliance on undependable/lazy stars and lack of goal-kicking midfielders. I turned out to be right about their slide to oblivion and unsustainability, but they eked one out just in time, mostly thanks to Stewie Dew miraculously becoming Brent Harvey for the day.

> St. Kilda being crap and struggling to make the eight without Riewoldt. Oh wait.

Scorlibo
21-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I was wrong about Stephen Hill, I didn't think him worth pick 30, let alone pick 3. I was turned off by his gangly run and thought he was not good in the contested situation. Two years on and he is already ahead of just about every one of his fellow 2008 draftees. Now we will see in the coming years whether he is going to be a tantalisingly-close-to-elite Daniel Wells or an elite Andrew McLeod. Either way he is well worthy of pick 3.

Cyberdoggie
21-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Not really

He's played or been available for every game at Port Melbourne this year.

Done ok without setting the world on fire.

Cyberdoggie
21-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I always thought Fev was rubbish, made 1 cameo in the millenium game and couldn't kick straight to save himself.

I'll admit he's improved since then. Still rubbish on occasions though.

Sockeye Salmon
21-05-2010, 06:08 PM
He's played or been available for every game at Port Melbourne this year.

Done ok without setting the world on fire.

What he's done at Port this year doesn't have anything to do with why he got delisted by us.

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 06:22 PM
After watching Farren Ray in a NAB cup game in his first year I said " he will be a better player then Cooney"

chef
21-05-2010, 06:36 PM
I was wrong

-by thinking that we stuffed up majorly by taking Griffen instead of Buddy in that draft. Now I'm very happy to have Griffen and not Buddy.
-by thinking that Harbrow would never make it as he looked like a chook with it's head cut off whenever he got the ball(how effective this has become for him in the back line:)) and he is now one of my favourite players. I am going to be shattered at the end of this year:((hopefully this is another thing I'm wrong about).

EasternWest
21-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Mate, you call that 'wrong'? That's nothing. A real mistake would be to express the same sentiments, as I did, about Andrew McDougall.

To be fair to McDougall, he cost us nothing and was worth the punt. Rawlings cost us a lot more.

Not really

I love this answer. It's as full as apathy for the question as Lynch was for footy!

For me, Barry Hall. I wasn't anti getting him, but I didn't really want him. But he's been very good for us so far, and has managed to stay out of trouble while still having a physical presence. I've been particularly pleased with his ability to control his frustration when he has been playing poorly/shut out of a game by multiple defenders.

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 09:30 PM
When Cooney first started I was convinced he wasn't trying and would go back to Adelaide as soon as he got the chance...what can I say, I was a touch wrong and couldn't be happier about it.

ReLoad
21-05-2010, 10:30 PM
John Georgiadies.

I sewed his number on my duffel coat after that game at Princes Park.

Yes i was young, yes i was impresionable, but hey, we all make mistakes.

AndrewP6
21-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't make mistakes. ;)

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 01:08 AM
I saw Travis Baird play a brilliant game at half forward in Shepparton in the summer of 2006 and became convinced that he'd be a gun. He led superbly, had a nice kick and I loved how good his hands were.

His first senior game occured on a round with a guernsey auction; so, remembering that sunny day in Shepparton, I bought his autographed jumper and had it professionally framed with a gold plaque marking its significance. The whole thing set me back $500 but it was worth it because I was getting in on the ground floor of a stellar career.

The framed guernsey now resides in the cupboard in my spare bedroom. It faces the wall. It still makes me sad. It's never wise to read too much into preseason form.

jazzadogs
22-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I saw Travis Baird play a brilliant game at half forward in Shepparton in the summer of 2006 and became convinced that he'd be a gun. He led superbly, had a nice kick and I loved how good his hands were.

His first senior game occured on a round with a guernsey auction; so, remembering that sunny day in Shepparton, I bought his autographed jumper and had it professionally framed with a gold plaque marking its significance. The whole thing set me back $500 but it was worth it because I was getting in on the ground floor of a stellar career.

The framed guernsey now resides in the cupboard in my spare bedroom. It faces the wall. It still makes me sad. It's never wise to read too much into preseason form.
Wowee.

As a member of Gen Y, I'm too young and arrogant to admit that I'm wrong about anything. ;)

comrade
22-05-2010, 01:22 AM

Great post.

I've got a signed Boumann training jumper that I've considered getting framed, for a laugh. The missus told me to stop being stupid.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 04:41 PM
A big one.. I can't believe I forgot it when I first posted in this thread:

-- Dean Bloody Bailey, I WAS WRONG. There. I've said it.

ps. You were tanking last year. Go ahead, admit it.

Happy Days
24-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I've got two;

- Farren; thought he was going to be the next Scott West, only with a Grant-ian kick

- Travis Baird; didn't quite get a framed jumper, but remember seeing him kick 2 in a game and thought we'd finally found a forward target

bornadog
24-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Great post.

I've got a signed Boumann training jumper that I've considered getting framed, for a laugh. The missus told me to stop being stupid.

Still time for him;)

liam_picken
24-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I was wrong......
My Past Favourite players have been Cam Wight before him was Damian McCormack and before him if was wait for it ..... JESSE WELLS hahaha

I am glad Liam Picken is going against that trend

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Tim Walsh.
Just because we used such a high pick on him, i was convinced that he was going to be a star. He wasnt and was never going to be.

Adrian Campbell.
I thought he was going to be our greatest ever player as i saw him tear some teams to shreds - one game in particular vs Melbourne at the MCG. He had #3 on his back and just looked like he could be anything. Cant remember what happened to him - but he certainly wasnt even close to becoming our greatest ever player.

Ghost Dog
24-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I was wrong about Barry Hall. I was not upset when he was drafted, but listening to his interviews, he just didn't seem to have attoned for his past misdemeanors. ' I can't promise anything' was the line I believe. I thought to myself at the time "he will lose it again; positive".
I was wrong. He held his cool as Luke hodge tried to give him a wedgie in the NAB, has copped it left and right and has held sway. So far anyway, and hope I stay wrong.

Well after the North game maybe I wasn't so wrong??
Ah well, Hally didn't cost us the earth, so if he manages to make it through MOST of the season without snapping anyone and getting reported, I'll be happy ( and a Little surprised )
Even in a basic tackle, he looks decidedly 'on edge'.

Every army needs a good 'beserk warrior'

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Tim Walsh.
Just because we used such a high pick on him, i was convinced that he was going to be a star. He wasnt and was never going to be.

Adrian Campbell.
I thought he was going to be our greatest ever player as i saw him tear some teams to shreds - one game in particular vs Melbourne at the MCG. He had #3 on his back and just looked like he could be anything. Cant remember what happened to him - but he certainly wasnt even close to becoming our greatest ever player.

Adrian could have been anything but i think injuries robbed him of any chance

AndrewP6
24-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Well after the North game maybe I wasn't so wrong??
Ah well, Hally didn't cost us the earth, so if he manages to make it through MOST of the season without snapping anyone and getting reported, I'll be happy ( and a Little surprised )
Even in a basic tackle, he looks decidedly 'on edge'.

Every army needs a good 'beserk warrior'

He did nothing unheard of in that game... headlock - meh!

With the crap the Norf flogs were going on with, I'm impressed he didn't belt one of them.

ReLoad
24-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I was wrong last week, i said it was a bad week to rest players against North.

CLEARLY WRONG!

Also I have a North membership ticket, used to help support them financially, also clearly wrong, ill put it up on ebay for a cent, I bet it doesn't sell.

mighty_west
24-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Adrian Campbell.

Ditto, he could have been anything, should have been our main key position defender of the 90's, with the likes of Southern, Croft & Kretiuk as the 2nd, 3rd & 4th banana's.

He used to kick the ball at least 50/60 metres from a kick out as well, booming kick, him & a young number 29 starred one day against the Pies at the G, but as way out west said, injuries finished him off.

Mofra
25-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Adrian Campbell.
But for injuries, he would have been a star.
Was it his knee injury that caused one trainer to vomit when he saw it? Very serious from memory.