PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R9 Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne

BulldogBelle
21-05-2010, 01:11 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Saturday afternoon's game at ES against North Melbourne.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 27 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Barry Hall to kick the first goal.

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Dogs by 62 points
Stack first goal
Griffendorrrrr BOG

Go_Dogs
21-05-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm thinking a close game, with us running away a bit in the end.

Dogs by 42 points.
BOG: Ryan Griffen
First Goal: Mitch Hahn

Ozza
21-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Spewing I won't be able to see the game (due to my own game) - bloody Saturday afternoon footy! Why can't we play Sunday twilight!

Dogs by 41.

BOG: Cooney
First Goal: Big Bad Bustling Bulldog Barry.

bornadog
21-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Dogs by 55

BOG - Boyd

1st Goal - Hill

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Dogs by 72
BOG Griff
1st Goal Hill

dadsgirl16
21-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Dogs by 25
BOG Griff
1st Goal Baz

chef
21-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Dogs by 54
Bazza First Goal
Lake BOG

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Dogs by 43
Stack first goal
Aker BOG after creating a storm with his mouth will back it up by running amok against north, I think he does it on purpose to put pressure on himself to preform

KT31
21-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Dogs by 62
Bazza first goal
Cooooney BOG

BornInDroopSt'54
21-05-2010, 07:25 PM
The Dogs by 43 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Barry Hall to kick the first goal

Scorlibo
21-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Dogs by 55 points
BOG Adam Cooney
First goal to Morris

AndrewP6
21-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Surprised at the big margins.... WOOFers must think we're coming good. I'm gonna be a bit more cautious.

Dogs by 20
BOG - Cooooooney.
First goal Bazza

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Dog by 26
BOG - Griffen
First goal Hall.

The Underdog
22-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Spewing I won't be able to see the game (due to my own game) - bloody Saturday afternoon footy! Why can't we play Sunday twilight!

Don't let the AFL hear you say that.

Dogs by 37, we really should do this comfortably.
Hill first goal.
Boyd BOG

NoName
22-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Bulldogs by 36 points
Goal Kicker - Acker
BOG - Cooney

westdog54
22-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Dogs by 25
Aker first Goal
Harbrow BOG

First game I've been to for the year. Should be fun.

lemmon
22-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Dogs by 49
Boyd BOG
Cooney First goal

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Dogs by 33
FG: B. Hall
BOG: cooney

cinder
22-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Those North players having a go at our Bazza made my blood boil. They are desperate to get into the game but that was low

Remi Moses
22-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Couple of duds to have a crack at Barry Instituted out of the box .

Doggy
22-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Just read on 3 mobile footy comments that Bazza has been reported for striking late in the 2nd qtr????

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Just read on 3 mobile footy comments that Bazza has been reported for striking late in the 2nd qtr????

TV commentators said after half time no striking reports, only several for wrestling,

Doggy
22-05-2010, 05:14 PM
TV commentators said after half time no striking reports, only several for wrestling,

Fantastic, Just shows you can't believe everything you read

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Fantastic, Just shows you can't believe everything you read

TV Commentators spoke too soon, both Hall and Thompson have been reported for misconduct. Hall for the headlock, and Thompson for a headbutt.
It would suck if Hall is suspended for that, but the panel have a history of punishing the retaliator as well as the protagonist.

BulldogBelle
22-05-2010, 05:19 PM
North try so hard to prove their relevance, yet fail so miserably.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2010, 05:48 PM
North try so hard to prove their relevance, yet fail so miserably.

I don't think that's a fair thing to say. Reckon I've heard that said against us when things on the ground and off weren't going our way, and it was unfair then too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2010, 05:51 PM
A good win against a team who just shot themselves in the foot early with poor kicking and ball use.
However still some areas to improve on, namely in finishing a team off. If not those 2 goals from 50 metre penalties North would've clearly outpointed us in the last.
Our effort seemed to dip in the last, and we were less then sharp at the start, in the end our very clean ball use and straight kicking gave us a big start which took the wind out of North's sails.

Scorlibo
22-05-2010, 06:13 PM
I haven't seen the match, but by looking at the stats... the Cooney and Lake show? When was the last time a full back gathered 40+ touches?

BulldogBelle
22-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think that's a fair thing to say. Reckon I've heard that said against us when things on the ground and off weren't going our way, and it was unfair then too.

Fair point. I meant in relevance to the multi-pronged attack on Hall as he left the ground and their Coach getting into Akermanis to try and rev his side up.

jazzadogs
22-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Fair point. I meant in relevance to the multi-pronged attack on Hall as he left the ground and their Coach getting into Akermanis to try and rev his side up.
Disgraceful. Scotty Thompson really rates himself as a tough guy, yet fails miserably. Not a terrible player, but seems like a terrible bloke.

As much as it wasn't great to see Barry grab him in a headlock, I was pleased to see that he didn't punch him. I'm happy for him to use the headlock as a way of anger management. I expect him to get suspended (does he have carry over points?), but don't really see it as worthy of a suspension.

As far as the team, I know that a couple of weeks ago Rocket seemed to encourage them to let up slightly in the last quarter to set them up for the next week. Hargrave seemed to improve, Williams was impressive, Hill did his job.

Lake is a superstar. Thank God he re-signed.

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I guess the Nth Melb hoodoo is over...

Very good team performance. Questionable opposition again.

Cooney was all class
Lake was unstoppable but at least 15 of his possesions were from sideways and back kicks from team Defence Sharing.
Harbrow continues an outstanding year.
Grant showed plenty again, made another big step forward.
Griff had a good game back and will be better next match.
Minson was pretty good, moving in the right direction.
Hahn worked hard and was effective.
Stack did some good things again.
Hill got four goals, not entirely sure how that happened.
Picken put his body on the line all day, good to have him back.
Addison got himself into the right place a lot.

The umpires need to protect Hall, that was just unbelievable, the Pope would have swung a punch in that situation. Our players need to insulate Hall when this stuff starts happening, get around him, I felt bad for Barry cos I wanted to crack Thompson myself.

Burrito needs to be flattened, nasty piece of work. Dont get me started on Thompson, the MRP should give Hall a week and then transpose it to Thompson for causing it all.

Hotdog60
22-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I still don't like the way we don't finish off games, we should have won by 100 points and made a statement. We still lack killer instant.

But it was still a very good 3 quarters.

Grant is looking better each game.

azabob
22-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I still don't like the way we don't finish off games, we should have won by 100 points and made a statement. We still lack killer instant.

But it was still a very good 3 quarters.

Grant is looking better each game.

Where you at the game? The boys were pretty much out on their feet. Few copped some heavy knocks, so whilst I would've liked a 100'point win they faught out the last quarter well.

anfo27
22-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Very disappointed with North and their tactics of trying to be tough at the man and forgot about the footy. That type of footy is not tough, its gutless and North got what they deserved.

Really disappointed in our blokes not helping out Bazza. I only saw Lake run 150m to bump a few North players to help Bazza get off the ground but other than that we left him outnumbered 4 to 1.

azabob
22-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Very disappointed with North and their tactics of trying to be tough at the man and forgot about the footy. That type of footy is not tough, its gutless and North got what they deserved.

Really disappointed in our blokes not helping out Bazza. I only saw Lake run 150m to bump a few North players to help Bazza get off the ground but other than that we left him outnumbered 4 to 1.

Stack half helped out in the forward 50, and cooney did help out in the forward 50 where it all started.
But yeah when he was coming there was no support.

Hotdog60
22-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Where you at the game? The boys were pretty much out on their feet. Few copped some heavy knocks, so whilst I would've liked a 100'point win they faught out the last quarter well.

No I wasn't at the game, I'm interstate and have to rely on television which will never give you a true impression of how the game has played out. :o

azabob
22-05-2010, 06:59 PM
No I wasn't at the game, I'm interstate and have to rely on television which will never give you a true impression of how the game has played out. :o

Yeah TV never gives you the full story.

anfo27
22-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I was happy with the win but still think we are way off our best. Agreed with quite a bit with what David King had to say on 3AW with how we are playing.

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Cooney and Stack were amongst it but more need to protect Barry. A man in yellow wouldnt go astray either, they did ask Thompson to get off him.. only so he could write down Halls number. Fairly disgusted by the whole affair except for Barrys composure for the most part. COuld possibly the best headlock in the history of the AFL, I was getting worried that he might put him to sleep tho...

azabob
22-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I was happy with the win but still think we are way off our best. Agreed with quite a bit with what David King had to say on 3AW with how we are playing.

What did King say?

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Cooney and Stack were amongst it but more need to protect Barry. A man in yellow wouldnt go astray either, they did ask Thompson to get off him.. only so he could write down Halls number. Fairly disgusted by the whole affair except for Barrys composure for the most part. COuld possibly the best headlock in the history of the AFL, I was getting worried that he might put him to sleep tho...

Second best after Danny Southern. We have A strangle hold on the top 2 spots:D

anfo27
22-05-2010, 07:17 PM
What did King say?

He was saying at half time that he still didn't think we were playing that well. He said that we have got our balance wrong in when to take the space and make the play and when to chip around and switch it to find the space. I agree because too many times we tried to be to safe but i recall seeing Williams mark, play on and take the space in front of him adnd take a risk, we don't seem to do this enough for my liking.

I think too many people like to look at the win and margin and say that we played some great footy, we didn't. We played a very ordinary team and played just ok but our use of the ball made it easy for us to score.

bornadog
22-05-2010, 07:20 PM
He was saying at half time that he still didn't think we were playing that well. He said that we have got our balance wrong in when to take the space and make the play and when to chip around and switch it to find the space. I agree because too many times we tried to be to safe but i recall seeing Williams mark, play on and take the space in front of him adnd take a risk, we don't seem to do this enough for my liking.

I think too many people like to look at the win and margin and say that we played some great footy, we didn't. We played a very ordinary team and played just ok but our use of the ball made it easy for us to score.

We kicked 20 goals and won by 70 points, not a bad result in my opinion.

Flamethrower
22-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Cowardly acts by North. I suppose that happens with a coach like that.

The AFL must throw the book at them - fine the club $1 million for bring the game into disrepute.

anfo27
22-05-2010, 07:29 PM
We kicked 20 goals and won by 70 points, not a bad result in my opinion.

It was a good result but i'm not talking about the result.

They had 1 ruckman, no forward line and an ordinary defence, a result that margin was always going to happen.

What were you expecting?

bornadog
22-05-2010, 07:31 PM
It was a good result but i'm not talking about the result.

They had 1 ruckman, no forward line and an ordinary defence, a result that margin was always going to happen.

What were you expecting?

I was expecting what we dished out and I am not complaining. Yes we can always do better. Maybe we should have kicked 30 goals.

ledge
Very dirty game from Nth, a lot of sniping I thought, then I realized who their coach is.
What happened to the clean, hardworking, honest Nth?

On Barry Hall.
Wrestling is usually a fine and I would think the misconduct charge will be light due to a lot of provocation, sadly because of Thompsons crap the umpires will now be against any fullback touching a forward.

wend1604
My blood is still boiling about the attacks on Barry Hall. Getting kneed while try to tie up his shoelace, pushed, shoved and niggled all day and the umpires did absolutely nothing to protect him. I was at the game and have also seen the tv footage and the umpire was just standing there watching. :mad:

Not only that, the media are making a big thing of Barry being reported but conveniently 'forgetting' what led up to it.

Did anyone else hear what Rodney Eade had to say post match? He might get a 'please explain' letter from the AFL. He basically said (can't remember the exact words) that no protection was offered to Barry. Even Barry had something to say - something along the lines that the rules protect those types of players.

GVGjr
22-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I didn't enjoy today's game at all. That European handball type of chipping the ball around is shocking to watch and it's an indictment on the game. These cheap stats that our backline racked up mean nothing.

immortalmike
22-05-2010, 08:16 PM
If what happened to Barry had of happened to St Nick he would have received a free kick, a fifty and a hug from the umpire. Bloody Disgrace!

On the game, was that the worst 70 point win in our history, we barely got out of second gear all game. I'm not complaining mind you.

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 08:35 PM
If what happened to Barry had of happened to St Nick he would have received a free kick, a fifty and a hug from the umpire. Bloody Disgrace!

On the game, was that the worst 70 point win in our history, we barely got out of second gear all game. I'm not complaining mind you.

Imagine how good we'd be in 5th gear against a top side? ;)

Stefcep
22-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I was expecting what we dished out and I am not complaining. Yes we can always do better. Maybe we should have kicked 30 goals.

A team marginally better than North would have finished off at least half of their dozen inside 50's in the first quarter. All they needed to do was kick straight and we could have found ourselves four goals down before we'd score one. The score flattered us, and I doubt that Eade would be overjoyed with what he saw. Lots of work to do before we are a genuine contender

mjp
22-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I didn't enjoy today's game at all. That European handball type of chipping the ball around is shocking to watch and it's an indictment on the game. These cheap stats that our backline racked up mean nothing.

Yet we continue to do it, week after week.

Why do we do it? It is driving me crazy. I hate kicking to a contest on the 50m arc as much (probably more than) anyone alive (just ask my players) but so often we get caught up in the side to side to side to side chip chip game...what happened to the 'Take the Space' motto, what happened to adventure.

I am afraid to say the answer is it didn't win us a flag and the coaching team believe it never will so we have flipped the page and are doing it this way now? I hope it works because we aren't an attractive team anymore and I would hate to lose a final playing without adventure...

Stefcep
22-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Yet we continue to do it, week after week.

Why do we do it? It is driving me crazy. I hate kicking to a contest on the 50m arc as much (probably more than) anyone alive (just ask my players) but so often we get caught up in the side to side to side to side chip chip game...what happened to the 'Take the Space' motto, what happened to adventure.

I am afraid to say the answer is it didn't win us a flag and the coaching team believe it never will so we have flipped the page and are doing it this way now? I hope it works because we aren't an attractive team anymore and I would hate to lose a final playing without adventure...

Well we've lost too many playing with adventure.

I'd take a GF win any which way TBH. We've been so starved of the ultimate success I couldn't care if we won ugly.

But the type of "ugly" we are playing won't worry Geelong or Collingwood.

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 09:54 PM
We only chip it around when we are winning comfortably.
On another note, some funny quotes from the North Melb. coach:

"But this game, we had a real opportunity to win. We took the game up to them, had our opportunities in the first quarter and didn't take them. Like all the other good sides, they make you pay when you don't take your opportunities.

"The pleasing thing and the really positive thing is that we know against a good side we can compete with them. But we've got to take our chances if we want to be one of those genuine contenders."

Compete with a team who is playing in 2nd gear and to still lose by 70 points........That's genuine

Doc26
22-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Was one refreshing moment there from Liam in the third with his midfield clearance kick to a Josh Hill one on one contest. Was a roll of the dice and went in our favour after Josh did his best to mess it up.
Was great having both Liam and Cross providing their inside grunt. Liam back makes a big difference to the look of our structure.

mjp
22-05-2010, 10:02 PM
We only chip it around when we are winning comfortably.

Right. Like we did against St Kilda? Not sure we were winning comfortably - the fact we lost suggests that we weren't.

I guess I take your point that we slowed the ball movement down today because the opposition weren't up to it, we had the game won and therefore why push it, but to me it is like the right-handed batsman who occasionally turns around and swats a legside delivery back to the bowler when practising in the nets...one day, this habit (his worst one) will appear when the pressure is really on and a wicket will fall.

turtle
22-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Rocket had a crack in the press conference. Effectively said Roos were sniping all day - not just at Baz but at quite a few of the boys. He fired up a bit about Baz - asking for some protection. This was going to happen some time during the year - better that it happened now & Baz handled pretty well. Maybe we can support him a little better next time so he doesn't have 3 of them hanging off him!!

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Right. Like we did against St Kilda? Not sure we were winning comfortably - the fact we lost suggests that we weren't.

I guess I take your point that we slowed the ball movement down today because the opposition weren't up to it, we had the game won and therefore why push it, but to me it is like the right-handed batsman who occasionally turns around and swats a legside delivery back to the bowler when practising in the nets...one day, this habit (his worst one) will appear when the pressure is really on and a wicket will fall.

By 3 goals in a game were only about 7 goals were scored in total by then, yes. We were winning comfortably, but the pressure of the crowd booing makes them think to 'have' to attack thus losing the game on counter attacks.

KT31
22-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Very dirty game from Nth, a lot of sniping I thought, then I realized who their coach is.
What happened to the clean, hardworking, honest Nth?

On Barry Hall.
Wrestling is usually a fine and I would think the misconduct charge will be light due to a lot of provocation, sadly because of Thompsons crap the umpires will now be against any fullback touching a forward.

Luckily ours plays in front.:)

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 01:37 AM
The support Barry was given after the incident, was awesome. The supporters standing up on there feet as he came off, after scoring a goal. Would've done wonders for Barry, and we all felt he was being treated.

Also North getting booed off at there own home game for halftime, was a funny moment.

Ozza
23-05-2010, 01:42 AM
I didn't see today's game because I was playing - but am surprised to hear comments inferring it was an ordinary 70-point win, cheap possessions, we didn't play that well etc... Will have to wait til I watch it tomorrow morning to comment - but coming off the field (with a 126 point win!) hearing the dogs won by 70 - I was pretty stoked.

That and getting a handy collect on Freo winning (Sydney played us last week - they could never win!).

Go dogs.

Ghost Dog
23-05-2010, 02:03 AM

Yep, and Rocket mentioned he was not happy with it in the pressy.
Hope to see that change

AndrewP6
23-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Great to hear Eade in the presser "The tough players aren't given protection"

ledge
23-05-2010, 09:52 AM
After todays game and some posters commenting it wasnt a good win, I find myself looking at the ladder and a bigger picture.
We havent played well this year according to a few and they are probably right but we are one game off top and if we are the side we think we are and will improve it shows how much of a good side we are.

Does it matter how you win as long as you win? (apart from dirty tactics)

Sydney and St Kilda have been accused of being terrible but they have both played in grand finals and one won it.
I missed the Sydney game but was told we turned a corner.

Yesterdays game?
In my opinion it can be hard to get good footy going if you are getting sniped at every opportunity, it wasnt just Hall it was near on everyone Pratt or Thompson could reach, to win by 70 in this environment with a club intent on being in Afghanistan instead of a footy ground was a huge effort.

I think this game and the Melbourne game should not be taken as not playing well but getting through rare conditions with a win. The sign of a good team.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Some interesting discussion on this thread with regards to the game style, in particular the switching of play.

Whilst yesterday was an example on the extreme side of things (as far as I'm concerned at least, there was much more done this week than I have ever seen previously by a Dogs side) I think at times you need to be able to switch the play and create an opening so that we can take the space.

Obviously, when you are switching the play 5 times before moving forwards, the opposition is able to get numbers back, set up their structures and ensure that there is no space to take once the play has switched sides. So I do agree that in that scenario, we need to be a bit more daring, move the ball a bit quicker and back the player further up the field to win his 1:1 contest.

At times this isn't possible, and I'd prefer that we hold the ball by switching it, rather than kick to an out-numbered contest and turn the ball over. How often did we used to see that? Players running forward as hard as they can, looking up and having no one to kick to and bombing long causing a turnover. It might look "prettier" than the switch play style, but certainly doesn't help on the scoreboard.

anfo27
23-05-2010, 01:39 PM
After todays game and some posters commenting it wasnt a good win, I find myself looking at the ladder and a bigger picture.
We havent played well this year according to a few and they are probably right but we are one game off top and if we are the side we think we are and will improve it shows how much of a good side we are.

Does it matter how you win as long as you win? (apart from dirty tactics)

Sydney and St Kilda have been accused of being terrible but they have both played in grand finals and one won it.
I missed the Sydney game but was told we turned a corner.

Yesterdays game?
In my opinion it can be hard to get good footy going if you are getting sniped at every opportunity, it wasnt just Hall it was near on everyone Pratt or Thompson could reach, to win by 70 in this environment with a club intent on being in Afghanistan instead of a footy ground was a huge effort.

I think this game and the Melbourne game should not be taken as not playing well but getting through rare conditions with a win. The sign of a good team.

Thats why I'm still very positive on our season. For as great as the pies have been playing and being a flag favourite they are only a win ahead of us. You just feel we are building and the further the season gets on the better we will get.

I don't envy the pies at all, i wouldn't want us playing our best footy now. As long as we get enough wins to make that top 4 thats all that matters.

Stefcep
23-05-2010, 05:04 PM
At this stage in the club's history I don't care how we win. Chip it a dozen times at the back if it means we win. I don't care. When we break a 50+ year drought and win a premiership, i'll worry about playing attractive football the following year.

BUT

What I was concerned about was the 15+ minutes at the beginning of the match where a lowly team like North could've been 4 goals up if they simply didn't kick so atrociously for goal. And there were other periods in other quarters where North did that as well. Thats why I believe 70 points flattered us: North's misses were simply extraordinary, possibly 8-9 goals that they just butchered. This for mine is the concern, not the chipping around at the back, because you can bet that Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda (with Reiwoldt) won't miss.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah I think you have to blame North for that.
If you're flooding back while we have a 50 point lead, I say chip it around.
Screw you.
Why should we care?

Sockeye Salmon
24-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Rocket has said that the purpose of playing kick to kick when the game is over is to avoid contests and extra running, in effect giving everyone a few minutes off.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 07:45 PM
HEY!
I've been away all weekend.
What did I miss???????????????????
70 pts! Sounds good??

The Bulldogs Bite
24-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Rocket has said that the purpose of playing kick to kick when the game is over is to avoid contests and extra running, in effect giving everyone a few minutes off.

It makes sense and I personally didn't mind it. We over did it in the last quarter, but whatever. The game was won.

It's good practice for Finals too. Sometimes you need to slow the game down, possibly even to win the game.

In regards to our side not playing as 'daring' as we used to, it's certainly helping our defence and is one of the main reasons why we aren't coughing up big/easy scores. You can't really have it both ways, and I am happy that our defensive structures are working well because that's what Finals is all about. We still have the talent (and ability) to score heavily when we need to, so it's about getting the balance right. It'll take some time but I like the way we're starting to go about it.

comrade
24-05-2010, 07:57 PM
It's good practice for Finals too. Sometimes you need to slow the game down, possibly even to win the game.

Geelong did it to perfection in the dying minutes of our Qualifying Final.