PDA

View Full Version : Williams V Everitt

Rance Fan
22-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Im not sure if we can fit them both in the team, if we are at full strength.
They are both improving but did notice a few errors today by Williams which still is a worry.
Would Everitt be a better option?
Would they both be in our best 22?

For me id have them both in!
How do you all see it?

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Is Everitt playing at Williamstown?

If he is not injured then I am unsure why he isn't in the team.

MrMahatma
23-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Everitt is the odd man out.

I think he's possibly the better of the two - but Williams has a clear job - Everitt is still finding his role in the team.

strebla
23-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Definately a spot for both but i thought Tommy was very good yesterday

GVGjr
23-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Definately a spot for both but i thought Tommy was very good yesterday

He dropped off in the last quarter and made some errors and half efforts and I think he might have been struggling for some energy. His first 3 quarters were sound though.

gohardorgohome
23-05-2010, 09:34 AM
It was a bye in the vfl. I saw Everitt, Tiller and Boumann at the game.

I could not help noticing how skinny all three were. The build of AFL players sure has fined down over the last decade.

anfo27
23-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Skinny has improved thus far but i still don't think that skinny is in our best 22 and I think Williams is getting better.

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 04:48 PM
He dropped off in the last quarter and made some errors and half efforts and I think he might have been struggling for some energy. His first 3 quarters were sound though.
When they come back after half time, the rest of the team ran up to the Lockett end, Tom was still at tghe other end spewing his guts out. They said on radio on the way home he was suffering with a stomach complaint. Sometimes the just amaze me what they play with, if I was Tom I woiuld be home in bed.

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I thought when North were coming at us hard in the first few minutes of the game he made some really important spoils and looked like he was getting his body in the right positions. He still has a long way to go and needs to improve below his knees and his decision making. One thing that annoys me is how all the commentators have a go at his kicking. He's actually a very good technical kick but needs to improve his decision making. When he kicks long down the line he can be a real asset.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I thought that Tom's getting more confident and is looking to take a lot more marks and not just punch the ball away. A good sign indeed.

I would toy with Everitt as he could play off the wing or go to HBF and free Gilbee up to play on the wing.

With a 100% full list it would be a fantastic problem to have.

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2010, 10:59 PM
The way I see it they dont play the same role and aren't really competing for the same spot

I think the coaches believe Williams improves our structure and allows Morris and Hargrave to match up on mediums and smalls.

Everitt has been used in a variety of roles in 2010, but not as much as a key defender as Williams. Everitt has taken considerable strides forward, and he still has more games to keep improving and earn a finals spot. I don't see it as a given that he will be in the finals team but he is certainly in the mix.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2010, 02:48 AM
The way I see it they dont play the same role and aren't really competing for the same spot

I think the coaches believe Williams improves our structure and allows Morris and Hargrave to match up on mediums and smalls.

Everitt has been used in a variety of roles in 2010, but not as much as a key defender as Williams. Everitt has taken considerable strides forward, and he still has more games to keep improving and earn a finals spot. I don't see it as a given that he will be in the finals team but he is certainly in the mix.

Agree with this.

Although Everitt has improved, the balance of our side looks better with him missing. I think we were a little too top heavy playing Lake/Williams/Everitt as it sacrificed some of our run. It begs the question - should Everitt change position to try and get back into the squad? IE. Challenge for Hahn's spot?

On Williams - he's improving. Having a solid season, but the one thing he needs to work on is his ability to pick up ground balls. He over runs and fumbles them quite a bit. His defensive spoiling has been impressive, but I'd like to see him start playing on quality forwards to test him out.

Bulldog Joe
25-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Williams does give the coverage for talls and he is becoming very good in the air. Agree that he is a liability with ground balls.

Everitt does not compete with the talls, although his competitive work has improved immensely.

Really need Tommy to stand up next 2 weeks with players like Hille/Ryder/Hurley forward for Essendon and particularly to nullify Travis Cloke against Collingwood. These are not tasks you could assign to Everitt.

Mantis
25-05-2010, 08:51 AM
On Williams - he's improving. Having a solid season, but the one thing he needs to work on is his ability to pick up ground balls. He over runs and fumbles them quite a bit. His defensive spoiling has been impressive, but I'd like to see him start playing on quality forwards to test him out.

You do realise that Tom is 196cm. I can't think of too many players that are of a similiar size that are totally proficient at picking up the ball off the ground.

chef
25-05-2010, 09:05 AM

Same here. Williams is a big part of the second best(on points conceded) defence in the league. Everitt is one of those special players that can be thrown just about anywhere and do a job. Easily enough room for both in our best 22(form permitting).

Mofra
25-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Tommy plays tall, Everitt (despite being 193cm) often doesn't.
I think they are fairly different players in style and ability.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Evs is almost the contemporary version of the utility. A once somewhat fronded upon type of player that is now an integral part of AFL football.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2010, 11:57 PM
You do realise that Tom is 196cm. I can't think of too many players that are of a similiar size that are totally proficient at picking up the ball off the ground.

It doesn't mean he's excused of not handling the ball well enough. Lake is pretty good below his knees, Everitt is OK too. Even Hudson is pretty good and there's plenty of tall types from other clubs that hold their own when they are required to bend down and pick it up. Williams seems to mis-judge it at times and considering he's playing a game whereby a key trait is to scoop it up off the deck, it's an area he needs to continue working on.

Perhaps it's developing composure over time, maybe it's a technique issue. Either way - all players in today's era need sure hands. Nobody's expecting Williams to pick up ground balls ala Brennan style, but he does need to practice judging bouncing/sliding balls etc.

EasternWest
26-05-2010, 12:51 AM
It doesn't mean he's excused of not handling the ball well enough. Lake is pretty good below his knees, Everitt is OK too. Even Hudson is pretty good and there's plenty of tall types from other clubs that hold their own when they are required to bend down and pick it up. Williams seems to mis-judge it at times and considering he's playing a game whereby a key trait is to scoop it up off the deck, it's an area he needs to continue working on.

Perhaps it's developing composure over time, maybe it's a technique issue. Either way - all players in today's era need sure hands. Nobody's expecting Williams to pick up ground balls ala Brennan style, but he does need to practice judging bouncing/sliding balls etc.

I'm not sure Hudson's the right guy to use as a comparison. His ground level work is one of the best aspects of his game.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Agree with this.

Although Everitt has improved, the balance of our side looks better with him missing. I think we were a little too top heavy playing Lake/Williams/Everitt as it sacrificed some of our run. It begs the question - should Everitt change position to try and get back into the squad? IE. Challenge for Hahn's spot?

You would have to say that Williams is mentally tougher than Everitt who is lucky to be still with the Bulldogs having been nearly discarded last year because of salary cap problems. Still believe his best position is off a centre wing where he starred in his debut season, being rewarded with the famous No 3 jumper.Given his size and run has definite claims to be a regular senior player. Needs to become more resilient and stronger physically. Probably has more natural talent and skill than Williams but lacks confidence.

Desipura
26-05-2010, 03:30 PM
You would have to say that Williams is mentally tougher than Everitt who is lucky to be still with the Bulldogs having been nearly discarded last year because of salary cap problems. Still believe his best position is off a centre wing where he starred in his debut season, being rewarded with the famous No 3 jumper.Given his size and run has definite claims to be a regular senior player. Needs to become more resilient and stronger physically. Probably has more natural talent and skill than Williams but lacks confidence.

I think your post is a little outdated, Everitt has shown improvement in these areas this season.

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd like to see Everitt trained up to play the Murphy role myself. Would make a very versatile 3rd tall up forward.