PDA

View Full Version : Who's contracted and who's not?

Dry Rot
25-06-2007, 04:11 PM
With all the talk elsewhere about delisting player x and trading player y, I thought it might be useful to know the contract status of each player NB who's uncontracted at season's end.

Anyone know this for our list?

Twodogs
25-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Scotty West to sign another 1 year deal.

I'm pretty sure Cooney is out of contract at the end of the year.

mjp
25-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Boyd is out of contract...offered a deal last year and elected not to take it.

southerncross
25-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Boyd is out of contract...offered a deal last year and elected not to take it.

I think (actually very sure) he was offered a three deal and elected to take a two year deal because he thinks he will still be able to negotiate a 3 year after that for better money. Smart lad.

mjp
25-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I think (actually very sure) he was offered a three deal and elected to take a two year deal because he thinks he will still be able to negotiate a 3 year after that for better money. Smart lad.

I remain unconvinced it was a smart move.

There is a sameness about our midfield right now that (I think) at times can cause us issues, and if West and Cross are going to remain part of it...I am not sure that Boyd can. His performances have been good - I do accept that - but this is not purely about him - it is about where we are headed as a team.

To me, the Fremantle game was a classic example. He seemed to go head-to-head with Peter Bell, who racked up 30+ possessions. Boyd had a good second half, and kicked a couple - but still...to me he needs to either become an accumulator such as West or Cross, or show a real ability to play 2-way footy. At the moment, it seems to me that he is either all out attack or all out defense (see exhibit A: C. Judd). I think that if the match commitee believes Higgins is ready to step up next year, the idea of making a significantly increased offer to Boyd will not be palatable to the footy dept.

He is a good player Boyd, but I am not sure he is the type of player who will generate a bidding war that will drive his salary up (by much anyway).

BulldogBelle
25-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Johnson still has two years to go, he signed a three year contract at the end of last season.

Gilbee of course signed up earlier in the season for 3 years also.

Mantis
26-06-2007, 09:05 AM

There is a sameness about our midfield right now that (I think) at times can cause us issues, and if West and Cross are going to remain part of it...I am not sure that Boyd can. His performances have been good - I do accept that - but this is not purely about him - it is about where we are headed as a team.

To me, the Fremantle game was a classic example. He seemed to go head-to-head with Peter Bell, who racked up 30+ possessions. Boyd had a good second half, and kicked a couple - but still...to me he needs to either become an accumulator such as West or Cross, or show a real ability to play 2-way footy. At the moment, it seems to me that he is either all out attack or all out defense (see exhibit A: C. Judd). I think that if the match commitee believes Higgins is ready to step up next year, the idea of making a significantly increased offer to Boyd will not be palatable to the footy dept.

He is a good player Boyd, but I am not sure he is the type of player who will generate a bidding war that will drive his salary up (by much anyway).

Tend to agree with your sentiments. You could probably add Cooney, Griffen and Addison (tagger) to the list of players who will see more action in the midfield next year. I agree that West, Cross and Boyd all have have a likeness to there styles and are only midfielders, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Bulldog Revolution
26-06-2007, 07:25 PM

I am in agreement with SC and disagreeing with MJP and Mantis

IMO Boyd is exactly the type of player a club would make a big money, long term offer to. Port tried to trade for him at the end of 2005 and he is really coming into his prime and the way I see it he does play 2 way footy.

Now I acknowledge Bell still got a lot of it in Darwin, but I thought Boyd won it in more damaging spots and was able to kick 2 goals - he consistently gets on the score board. If you look at Scott Burns at Collingwood, and the fact he is still going and as effective as he is, I see an enormous future for Boyd.

I think the sameness to the midfield was a lack of impact being added by Aker & Cooney - carrying injuries, the form of Griffen, Gia, Darcy, Minson, Street. I see Cooney as the rolls royce that takes the midfield to the next level.

mjp
26-06-2007, 11:32 PM
I think the sameness to the midfield was a lack of impact being added by Aker & Cooney - carrying injuries, the form of Griffen, Gia, Darcy, Minson, Street. I see Cooney as the rolls royce that takes the midfield to the next level.

I agree 100% with this.

Good luck to Boyd - like I said, he is a good player. I am very interested to see what will develop here, but he is one player who I think will be hard to re-sign.

Topdog
26-06-2007, 11:46 PM
M. West and Walsh out of contract?

Bulldog Revolution
27-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I agree 100% with this.

Good luck to Boyd - like I said, he is a good player. I am very interested to see what will develop here, but he is one player who I think will be hard to re-sign.

I cannot imagine him going anywhere but will be looking for a reasonable $ deal - and he has earnt it

walsh and mwest definitely out of contract