PDA

View Full Version : Well Done Rocket!

The Coon Dog
22-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Good to see Rocket stick up for Bazza in the post match presser today.

He said he wished Hall was afforded protection & also felt that we were on the end of a few 'cheap shots' today.

Quite often the coaches play a straight bat, but you could see Rocket was seething & left no one in any doubt about how he felt.

I heard Gia after the game & he said he felt like every time he turned around today he got hit by concrete.

bornadog
22-05-2010, 07:34 PM

He said he wished Hall was afforded protection & also felt that we were on the end of a few 'cheap shots' today.

Quite often the coaches play a straight bat, but you could see Rocket was seething & left no one in any doubt about how he felt.

I heard Gia after the game & he said he felt like every time he turned around today he got hit by concrete.

Yes you could tell he was not happy.

Gia copped so much today.

Did you hear Scotts post match? I have never liked him and still don't. His comments this week about Aker and in the post match are a disgrace to North Fans.

wend1604
22-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I also heard Eade's comments and good on him. I wonder if it will result in a 'please explain' letter from the AFL? Even Barry had something to say when he was interviewed by Channel Ten after the game - went something along the lines of 'the rules protect those sorts of players'. Can't remember the exact quote as I was still seething :mad:

AndrewP6
22-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I'd have opened my checkbook, and let rip on the morons, if I were Rocket (and Bazza)...would be money well spent, IMO. Looking forward to seeing the presser, as I have to go out tonight.

mighty_west
22-05-2010, 07:54 PM

Did you hear Scotts post match? I have never liked him and still don't. His comments this week about Aker and in the post match are a disgrace to North Fans.

You could tell Rocket was fuming inside, and good on him for what he said.

If Brad Scott supports cowardly acts, then thats up to him i guess.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Loved Rocket's comments too.

Great to hear him rally behind our boys and Barry Hall. I think the club's attitude has been first rate over the past couple of days. Johnson was really good last night, Lake/Eade likewise today.

SonofScray
22-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Rocket showed great leadership this afternoon. Very proud of the way he stood up in the press conference and pushed the issue. It squarely points the finger at the umpires and MRP instead of allowing it to turn into another "Bazzamania" media frenzy. The focus has been so much on how long Basil can hold out before he goes BANG! that the officials have lost sight of the basics. Just pay the bloke the frees that are there, don't allow players to constantly infringe and warn Basil not to react.

cinder
22-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Agree with all of the above, Hall needs the club's support on this.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Fantastic for Rocket to fire up here and support the big fella, I want to see the media are supportive here of Barry as they had been of St Nick against the Bears a few years ago.

The only thing that was a concern was the lack of Bulldogs to fly the flag and help out.

Pleasing to see Rocket take barry from the ground, something Roos could have learnt perhaps.

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Well done Rocket!! It is past time someone took a stand at the constant round of provocation directed at Hall. It is clear that teams are not going to stop trying to get a reaction and are in fact increasing the intensity of their efforts (except the swans who are lead with some integrity).

While players are responsible for their own actions I am sick to death of inciters being allowed to stir up trouble and get away with it. Either the AFL should penalise inciting behaviour through free kicks, 50 metre penalties and reports/fines, as it is a blight on the game, or if they really want to fix the problem indicate to players that if they incite violent reprisals through unecessary or violent contact the opposition will not be punished for retaliating. Lets see one of these weak dogs (distinct from bulldogs) get stuck into Hall if they know he is allowed to hit back!! (I dont really mean this but right now I am ashamed to say I would love to see it!!)

I was really impressed by our teams discipline today under extreme and cowardly provocation. I loved the posse we had looking out for Barry when he has leaving the field at half time, Shaggy and Huddo riding shotgun to make sure noone from North got near him. Was proud of Stack and Cooney for helping Hall out as well. I wonder if McMahon will be looked at for kneeling on Cooney's head at the end of the Hall altercation as Cooney and Firrito wrestled (did anyone else notice that), much more agressive then the Picken incident?

Past time for the afl to show some leadership here and protect the team playing the ball, if it was good enough for Riewoldt in the prelim....

LostDoggy
22-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I for one am glad of the Aker and Bazz incidents -- enough of this flying under the radar crap that we try so hard for but never do well anyway, often just coming off as nice-guy pansies. Maybe now with Johnno and Rocket coming out strongly in support of our own we can engender an 'under siege' mentality that will fire up the players for the rest of the year.

Enough of this trying so hard to be liked/everyone's second team nonsense, hopefully this week will cement the sense of mission in the team's head -- no one out there gives a sh*t about us and will do us no favours, it's about time we took our destiny into our own hands and create our own history, starting with flogging everyone who stands in the way.

alwaysadog
22-05-2010, 11:08 PM
If Brad Scott supports cowardly acts, then thats up to him i guess.

You could say he has form in the area.

craigsahibee
22-05-2010, 11:10 PM
You could say he has form in the area.

Didn't Dimma get his 2 week suspension in Round 22 of 97 for retaliating against a cheap shot from B. Scott, thus denying him of finals footy that year?

alwaysadog
22-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Rocket knew exactly what he was doing, he stood up for Hall and drew attention to a whole lot of other things that went on today.

The real blight was that what we all respected North for was their harness at the ball not all this thuggery, masquerading as toughness, which is not directed at the ball.

It will be interesting to see if the AFL do anything more than issue Rocket with a please explain and if the Video review mob lay further charges.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Didn't Dimma get his 2 week suspension in Round 22 of 97 for retaliating against a cheap shot from B. Scott, thus denying him of finals footy that year?

No, it was against Hawthorn out at Waverly & he was reported by umpire Andrew Coates for striking Rayden Tallis. Got 2 weeks. He'll never forgive Andrew Coates (see interview with Dimma in L & L forum).

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Great to see Rocket fire up in the presser, very rare these days.

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 12:34 AM
I also was impressed by Rocket - normally when he speaks its pretty much the same old thing, saying much, but not saying a lot (if you get what I mean!).

I loved the way he stood up for Barry, and then fired some torpedos at North and the way they went about their play today.

North need to take a long hard look at themselves - if that's the way they want to play football, then good riddance to them.

westdog54
23-05-2010, 12:39 AM
The real blight was that what we all respected North for was their harness at the ball not all this thuggery, masquerading as toughness, which is not directed at the ball.

As we were booing the Roos off at Full Time my dad yelled out something I think rang true: "When you lost Archer, you lost your balls as well. You're weak."

bornadog
23-05-2010, 12:52 AM
I wonder if McMahon will be looked at for kneeling on Cooney's head at the end of the Hall altercation as Cooney and Firrito wrestled (did anyone else notice that), much more agressive then the Picken incident? .

I saw that, McMahon had Cooney's head between his legs and squeezing him with his knees. I would say that would very uncomfortable.

strebla
23-05-2010, 10:38 AM
As we were booing the Roos off at Full Time my dad yelled out something I think rang true: "When you lost Archer, you lost your balls as well. You're weak."

Love your dads work i was thinking Archer would have been deeply ashamed of his former club yesterday no doubt he would would have got into Barry himself but it was more than just i am here Barry you are in for a long day :mad:

Go_Dogs
23-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Agreed.

I think Rocket has been reluctant previously to be overly critical of the umpires (at least publicly in front of the media) but was very happy with his approach yesterday. It's almost as if the powers that be and the umpires want Barry to crack because of the media storm and attention (free advertising) it will bring to the game.

A bit of niggle is always going to occur, but players blatantly and continually targeting opposition players in that manner shouldn't be tolerated or condoned.

wend1604
23-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Agreed.

It's almost as if the powers that be and the umpires want Barry to crack because of the media storm and attention (free advertising) it will bring to the game

And the media want him to crack so they can smugly say 'I told you so!'.

I for one am glad of the Aker and Bazz incidents -- enough of this flying under the radar crap that we try so hard for but never do well anyway, often just coming off as nice-guy pansies. Maybe now with Johnno and Rocket coming out strongly in support of our own we can engender an 'under siege' mentality that will fire up the players for the rest of the year.

Enough of this trying so hard to be liked/everyone's second team nonsense, hopefully this week will cement the sense of mission in the team's head -- no one out there gives a sh*t about us and will do us no favours, it's about time we took our destiny into our own hands and create our own history, starting with flogging everyone who stands in the way.

My brother and I said exactly the same thing last night. The boys should use this to fire up and steamroll anyone that tries to get in their way - by that I mean playing and winning well, not knocking players out.

If Barry gets off, he'll most likely have 'Elbows' Fletcher playing on him next week.....

The Pie Man
23-05-2010, 02:12 PM

He hadn't calmed down this morning either - he was measured as he normally is, but comments about the hits on Gia & Scott's press conference during the week that had 'incensed' some in the group and that 'amused' him were telling.

No love lost there - and good on him - the focus on the Thompson/Hall issue took away from what should've been a spotlight on how pathetic North were yesterday. This has let them off the hook media wise.

Desipura
23-05-2010, 03:48 PM
He hadn't calmed down this morning either - he was measured as he normally is, but comments about the hits on Gia & Scott's press conference during the week that had 'incensed' some in the group and that 'amused' him were telling.

No love lost there - and good on him - the focus on the Thompson/Hall issue took away from what should've been a spotlight on how pathetic North were yesterday. This has let them off the hook media wise.
And whats more Brayshaw was taken aback by Eade's comments. He showed footage of Gia and Addison clashing heads and assumes thats why he was concussed. If he had shown the other footage of the hit in Gia he'd really now why he was semi concussed.
Forrito late tackle did not even get us a free kick!
You can show any footage Mr Brayshaw to suit your argument.

bornadog
23-05-2010, 05:04 PM
And whats more Brayshaw was taken aback by Eade's comments. He showed footage of Gia and Addison clashing heads and assumes thats why he was concussed. If he had shown the other footage of the hit in Gia he'd really now why he was semi concussed.

What about the late bump on Gilbee from Ferito, I think in the first quarter, it wasn't just a bump it was ferocious. Ok, that happens, but no free kick down field.

KT31
23-05-2010, 05:19 PM

With coaches and players not being able to comment on umpires and incidents, the presidents and committee members have no right to commnent even if they are commentating or sitting on a panel.
The media is so full of bias these days that the AFL should step in and do something.

Flamethrower
23-05-2010, 06:19 PM
And the media want him to crack so they can smugly say 'I told you so!'.

My brother and I said exactly the same thing last night. The boys should use this to fire up and steamroll anyone that tries to get in their way - by that I mean playing and winning well, not knocking players out.

If Barry gets off, he'll most likely have 'Elbows' Fletcher playing on him next week.....

Tayte Pears would start on Baz.

I would have liked Rocket say something like there were 2 teams out there today but only 1 was prepared to put their head over the ball and play tough, hard football, thus insinuating what the other mob did was cowardly and not tough.

aker39
23-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Brayshaw actually said on the radio yesterday that the dogs weren't showing the Kangaroos any respect by resting players.

They really are clutching at straws.

The Coon Dog
23-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Brayshaw actually said on the radio yesterday that the dogs weren't showing the Kangaroos any respect by resting players.

Then there was a commentator named David King that said the Bulldog's didn't play well at all & the Kangaroos were just poor. Thankfully a talk back caller took him to task! ;)

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 08:32 PM

I would suggest that they start to earn respect by not getting flogged by 12 goals by a team playing at half pace that has rested its players.

I am calling today to cancel my sympathy North membership. They can go to hell in a handbasket for all I care now.

ledge
23-05-2010, 09:06 PM

And we still won by 12 goals , whats that tell you Brayshaw??

turtle
23-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Rocket showed great leadership this afternoon. Very proud of the way he stood up in the press conference and pushed the issue. It squarely points the finger at the umpires and MRP instead of allowing it to turn into another "Bazzamania" media frenzy. The focus has been so much on how long Basil can hold out before he goes BANG! that the officials have lost sight of the basics. Just pay the bloke the frees that are there, don't allow players to constantly infringe and warn Basil not to react.

Peferctly summed up!

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Saw Rocket on Game Day today, with Johnno as well, and he look almost the same line as he did in the post match pressie. It was great to hear both of them back up Baz - let's hope it does bring the boys together. The whole Baz incident would not have occurred if the umpires had "seen" the incident of him being knocked over, and paid a free kick. That's what should have happened! Not sure how close the umps were to the incident, or where the play was at that time (hard to tell on the TV footage). I thought we had more umps to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen???

aker39
23-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Then there was a commentator named David King that said the Bulldog's didn't play well at all & the Kangaroos were just poor. Thankfully a talk back caller took him to task! ;)

That caller didn't get the chance to ask the real question he rang up to ask.

David, what club are you coaching at these days?

Remi Moses
24-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Brayshaw is a try hard Eddie! Now just toddle off and do what Collingwood tell you to do.:eek:

Desipura
24-05-2010, 10:34 AM
What about the late bump on Gilbee from Ferito, I think in the first quarter, it wasn't just a bump it was ferocious. Ok, that happens, but no free kick down field.

Thats is the incident I was referring to, sorry I said Gia when I meant Gilbee.

Curly5
24-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Saw Rocket on Game Day today, with Johnno as well, and he look almost the same line as he did in the post match pressie. It was great to hear both of them back up Baz - let's hope it does bring the boys together. The whole Baz incident would not have occurred if the umpires had "seen" the incident of him being knocked over, and paid a free kick. That's what should have happened! Not sure how close the umps were to the incident, or where the play was at that time (hard to tell on the TV footage). I thought we had more umps to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen???

Do the goal umps have any input at all? Surely they couldn't miss what was going on right in front of them all day. Are they ever asked?

I think it's right that there appears to be some vested interest in seeing how long Baz can "hold out", therefore he doesn't "deserve" any umpiring help. If so it's disgusting.

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Teams are going to notice when Higgins is rested. They are bound to see it as a slight.

However, King did say during the call that what North were doing after the Hall incident, and at other times, was all bluster and that they should have been showing courage and passion during the game, and North hadn't done that.

For me, what King was really saying is that we are still a fair way off our best football, and a fair way off the footy we played last year. No arguments from me on that, but Saturday was a positive step forward.

Mofra
24-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I am calling today to cancel my sympathy North membership. They can go to hell in a handbasket for all I care now.
Sent it to Sam's mailbag, or get Dadruid to deliver it personally :D

I like the fact that Rocket stuck up for our players, but moreso the fact that the gameplan he had meant that North were always going to struggle to get near us. It's easy to blaze away when you get a roll on, but we thought through the delivery to our forwards and then iced teh game to conserve ourselves for next week.

Mantis
24-05-2010, 11:57 AM

We rested ONE player who obviously has been struggling for 3 or 4 weeks.

All clubs in our position would have done the same.

bornadog
24-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Thats is the incident I was referring to, sorry I said Gia when I meant Gilbee.

Yes and he did the same thing to Gia.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2010, 12:49 PM

I was disgusted with Brayshaw and all the flog panelists for sticking up for Thompson and North. It was only Billy who supported Barry and his was the lone voice. The rest of the panelists "supported" Brayshaw. Wimps!

Sedat
24-05-2010, 12:57 PM
GT right on the money:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=648891&showcomments=true

Mofra
24-05-2010, 01:17 PM
GT right on the money:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=648891&showcomments=true
Absolutely spot on. Always liked Thommo :D

aker39
24-05-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.kangaroos.com.au/news/blogarticle/tabid/9795/newsid/94902/default.aspx

The North Melbourne Football Club’s senior coach Brad Scott would like to make the following comments following the match against the Bulldogs on Saturday:

“Scott Thompson is a man of the highest integrity who plays the game with the hardness and passion that North Melbourne supporters should expect from all of their players. There is no doubt he plays an antagonistic style of football but full forwards are not supposed to enjoy playing on full backs and I will not stand by and allow Scott’s character to be assassinated because of the reaction of an opposition player.

Scott Thompson doesn’t discriminate - he plays the same way every week. Scott’s instructions are to play hard and to play fair - with cold aggression. The AFL dictates the rules of the game and we will always endeavor to play within those rules.

“Comments made by Rodney Eade after the match suggesting our players took ‘cheap shots’ off the ball are categorically incorrect and disappointing from such an experienced coach. They strike at the heart and integrity of our playing group; they are factually incorrect and are without foundation.”

aker39
24-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I look forward to playing them later in the year

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 01:49 PM
“Comments made by Rodney Eade after the match suggesting our players took ‘cheap shots’ off the ball are categorically incorrect and disappointing from such an experienced coach. They strike at the heart and integrity of our playing group; they are factually incorrect and are without foundation.”

*"Comments made by Brad Scott after the match suggesting that he has any kind of credibility in talking about matters of integrity and sportsmanship are categorically incorrect and disappointing from such an inexperienced and incapable coach, albeit one experienced at gamesmanship from his playing days. They strike at the heart of the limits of incredulousness of any rational thinking human being; they are factually incorrect, and, like his reputation or character, are without foundation."

Desipura
24-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I look forward to playing them later in the year
I have a similar hate to North as I had for Richmond. Today I do not hate Richmond half as much as North, they should have taken the money and headed of to Gold Coast.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2010, 01:54 PM
rule 15.4.5 (e) relating to prohibited contact, which required the awarding of a free kick "where a player pushes, bumps, blocks, holds an opposition player when the football is further than five metres away from the opposition player or is out of play".

If the umpires had umpired by the rules it never would have escalated. That's the bottom line.

EasternWest
24-05-2010, 02:52 PM
rule 15.4.5 (e) relating to prohibited contact, which required the awarding of a free kick "where a player pushes, bumps, blocks, holds an opposition player when the football is further than five metres away from the opposition player or is out of play".

If the umpires had umpired by the rules it never would have escalated. That's the bottom line.

If umpires umpired to the letter of that rule, there'd be no actual play.

Come on, you can put forward a better argument than that.

The Pie Man
24-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a similar hate to North as I had for Richmond. Today I do not hate Richmond half as much as North, they should have taken the money and headed of to Gold Coast.

In the heat of 2nd quarter, I couldn't help but yell that out :o

EasternWest
24-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Absolutely spot on. Always liked Thommo :D

I know you're tongue in cheek, but there's no way I can look past Thomas just being his usual antagonistic self. His column is pretty poor, capped off with this zinger:

"I have no idea where he would be without the game but I have an idea."

What?

Bulldog4life
24-05-2010, 03:00 PM

What I am saying is that if the Umpires had paid a legitimate free or two to Hall initially there more than likely would have been a much different and better scenario.

EasternWest
24-05-2010, 03:05 PM
What I am saying is that if the Umpires had paid a legitimate free or two to Hall initially there more than likely would have been a much different and better scenario.

Fair enough, and I think that's true also.

But if we beg for consistency using the letter of the law as our reason, then we're in for a crap game;).

Sockeye Salmon
24-05-2010, 03:08 PM

The same could be said of the high contact rule. Most go unpenalised but the umpire shows discretion and calls the more significant ones (although I don't always agree with his opinion!)

Clearly this was on the more significant end of the scale and one whistle could have put the whole thing to bed.

aker39
24-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Rocket has copped a pounding on SEN today. I rang up and defended him, but if there is anyone else listening to SEN, please call in and lend some support.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Rocket has copped a pounding on SEN today. I rang up and defended him, but if there is anyone else listening to SEN, please call in and lend some support.

I hope Firrito's late, and relatively high, bump on Gia gets looked at...that would lend some support to what Rocket said. He honestly wasn't that far off with his comments, although mentioning the Addison/Gia head clash as being a 'cheap shot' has obviously caused his comments to come under fire.

Hopefully there isn't too much being made of this incident internally...I'm glad Rocket said what he said, and hopefully we'll find some legitimate grounds to appeal if Barry is facing a couple of weeks on the sidelines, but let's not get overly caught up in what is essentially a media beat up of a fairly minor issue.

Hopefully the AFL can address a few issues that they need to with regards to provocation, and that's the end of it.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Hopefully there isn't too much being made of this incident internally...I'm glad Rocket said what he said, and hopefully we'll find some legitimate grounds to appeal if Barry is facing a couple of weeks on the sidelines, but let's not get overly caught up in what is essentially a media beat up of a fairly minor issue.

This incident is going to go INTERNATIONAL! It will be BALLISTIC! It will TEAR APART THE FABRIC OF A CLUB!

Well, maybe Reuters might pick up the story if AFL journos learnt to spell...

Mantis
24-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I hope Firrito's late, and relatively high, bump on Gia gets looked at...that would lend some support to what Rocket said. He honestly wasn't that far off with his comments, although mentioning the Addison/Gia head clash as being a 'cheap shot' has obviously caused his comments to come under fire.

The North players were trying re-open the wounds such that the players would have to come off under the blood rule.

I can't believe how the North supporters can try and defend the tactics of some their players. Pratt & Firrito (how apt that he has 'Spud' as his nickname) are 2 of the most talentless hacks in the competition and would struggle to get a game in any of team. (The fact that Minson took his only contested mark this century when opposed to Firrito shows just how well he is going).

Whenever their was any niggle going on these blokes are front and centre and I only wished Hall would have belted the Spud in my 'avatar' pic... He mightn't have been laughing too hard afterwards.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Pratt & Firrito (how apt that he has 'Spud' as his nickname) are 2 of the most talentless hacks in the competition and would struggle to get a game in any of team. (The fact that Minson took his only contested mark this century when opposed to Firrito shows just how well he is going).

Hilarious!

ps. a Prat AND a Spud. Apt indeed.

chef
24-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Hilarious!

ps. a Prat AND a Spud. Apt indeed.

:D

When do we find out Halls punishment?

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 04:01 PM
:D

When do we find out Halls punishment?

We need a Hall monitor. *boom tish*

Bulldog4life
24-05-2010, 04:01 PM
The North players were trying re-open the wounds such that the players would have to come off under the blood rule.

I can't believe how the North supporters can try and defend the tactics of some their players. Pratt & Firrito (how apt that he has 'Spud' as his nickname) are 2 of the most talentless hacks in the competition and would struggle to get a game in any of team. (The fact that Minson took his only contested mark this century when opposed to Firrito shows just how well he is going).

And that brave kidney punch by Pratt on Barry as he was trying to leave the ground was tough.:rolleyes: Pratt certainly lives up to his surname.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2010, 04:19 PM

If that's what was happening (I wasn't at the game obviously, so it's not always easy to notice such things) then fair enough, but the fact is the comment was made, and James Brayshaw made sure to show the footage of their head clash on TSFS, and hence the general footballing public are going to jump to easy conclusions without doing any further digging.

Whilst we don't want to continue to feed into this, if that's the direction it needs to take I hope we are able to get some footage of them trying to re-open the wounds and run that.

Would love to see the look on Brayshaw's face when his pressure side is exposed for what they are....

The Pie Man
24-05-2010, 04:27 PM
This from the Fox Sports website : pretty funny

His stoush with North Melbourne fullback Scott Thompson will go before the match review panel, whose job it is to determine what part provocation played in the Bulldogs star applying a headlock on his opponent for 15 seconds. The answer is plenty. Thompson and his wannabe tough teammates did their developing reputations no favours by aggravating Hall all afternoon. Perhaps if they focused on slowing the runaway Bulldogs rather than poking the bear, the scoreboard would have read differently at game's end. Hall was tying his shoelace when Thompson bravely toppled him over. A headlock that was more about restraint than retribution followed. Coach Rodney Eade noted Hall's irritation and removed him immediately. The Kangaroos couldn't help themselves and continued to bait him as he left the field. How courageous.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 04:35 PM
“Scott Thompson is a man of the highest integrity who plays the game with the hardness and passion that North Melbourne supporters should expect from all of their players. There is no doubt he plays an antagonistic style of football but full forwards are not supposed to enjoy playing on full backs and I will not stand by and allow Scott’s character to be assassinated because of the reaction of an opposition player.

Scott Thompson doesn’t discriminate - he plays the same way every week. Scott’s instructions are to play hard and to play fair - with cold aggression. The AFL dictates the rules of the game and we will always endeavor to play within those rules.

Brad Scott deserves some praise here. He managed to get 163 coherent words down on paper and it only took him 43 hours (and probably the full support of the North Melbourne brain trust) to do it.

That’s a word every sixteen minutes; and that’s pretty good when you’re still writing with crayons.

Desipura
24-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Had to laugh when Brad Scott was quoted the day before the game words to the effect that the Dogs will be feeling the pressure after what Aker said in the paper.
Brad, if thats what you call pressure, I will take a 70 point win any day of the week! There was certainly no pressure from your blokes!

choconmientay
24-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Nice to see a lot of support for Berry Hall (user comments on Brad Scott defending Thompson action) http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/roos-coach-defends-scott-thompson/comments-e6frf9jf-1225870521608?pg=1

Bulldog4life
24-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Had to laugh when Brad Scott was quoted the day before the game words to the effect that the Dogs will be feeling the pressure after what Aker said in the paper.
Brad, if thats what you call pressure, I will take a 70 point win any day of the week! There was certainly no pressure from your blokes!

Saw that too. It was funny too when they asked Rocket what he thought of Scott's quote. Rocket said he was amused and that he never realised till he read that that Brad Scott had a sense of humour!

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Amen to that!

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 05:01 PM

His stoush with North Melbourne fullback Scott Thompson will go before the match review panel, whose job it is to determine what part provocation played in the Bulldogs star applying a headlock on his opponent for 15 seconds. The answer is plenty. Thompson and his wannabe tough teammates did their developing reputations no favours by aggravating Hall all afternoon. Perhaps if they focused on slowing the runaway Bulldogs rather than poking the bear, the scoreboard would have read differently at game's end. Hall was tying his shoelace when Thompson bravely toppled him over. A headlock that was more about restraint than retribution followed. Coach Rodney Eade noted Hall's irritation and removed him immediately. The Kangaroos couldn't help themselves and continued to bait him as he left the field. How courageous.

Love it........... finally a media article that speaks the truth :D

alwaysadog
26-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I've admired North for a long time and am very disappointed with the behaviour of some of their players for the reasons previously indicated by several posters.

I don't think we should blame the players as we know from our own history players are quite easily lead to test the boundaries and even to try crossing the line. We have to ask how the transition has come about from hard as nails and respected ball attack to head hunting.

I think it is a leadership issue. Can anyone imagine our players behaving like that or that, and if moments of madness did eventuate can one believe that Rocket and Smorgo wouldn't lay down the law about how we are to conduct ourselves on the field.

So IMHO the equivalent two at a nearby club need to have a long hard look at themselves. Maybe not from a moral perspective but to ask if they can develop a winning culture when they have lost sight of what is needed to win.

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 01:19 PM
So IMHO the equivalent two at a nearby club need to have a long hard look at themselves. Maybe not from a moral perspective but to ask if they can develop a winning culture when they have lost sight of what is needed to win.

This is a club on its knees and living on borrowed time. It has no fans, no members, no one turning up to its games, no real future, no leadership, so-so on-field talent and MASSIVE debt. Two years ago it arrived at a crossroads with regards to its future. The choice was between going North and becoming rich and successful, or stay in Victoria and fight the moral fight.

It chose to stay and fight. That day, it stopped being just another football club. It represented the last remnants of a bygone era standing up against the corporate machine. The rhetoric bandied about at the time was one of defiance and honour. Tens of thousands of football fans from around the state rallied around them, many of us even choosing to financially support them with a membership, not because we supported the club, but because we believed in the ideal.

Unless they live up to the ideal, however, they are dead. The reality is, they have been effectively dead since that decision NOT to go to the Gold Coast. Without any financial future and no possible way to expand their fan base, on that day they mortgaged their future, not to the Gold Coast as requested by AFL HQ, but to the ideals of a community club run with honour and the highest integrity. As long as they attempted to live up to that ideal, they could count on the support of those of us who remember the days that the game belonged to the people and not to suits only interested in the bottom line.

Everything they have done since then (not just last week) has been a slap in the face of those who believed they would stand for more than crass opportunism. If they want to be just another soulless, unethical entity they may as well have packed up their bags and headed North for the money.

Curly5
26-05-2010, 01:29 PM
More of a worry is Aker, if The Age is to be believed (albeit vested interest in having a go at the HUN). Aker apparently earns more outside the club than in it and makes no secret that he is planning his life after footy. Not unreasonable, but very reasonable to ask that he give us 100% on the field and try to win us a few games as previously. Not saying he isn't trying but is he trying hard enough?

This may not be the right thread, but I've typed it out now. :)

Mantis
26-05-2010, 01:55 PM
More of a worry is Aker, if The Age is to be believed (albeit vested interest in having a go at the HUN). Aker apparently earns more outside the club than in it and makes no secret that he is planning his life after footy. Not unreasonable, but very reasonable to ask that he give us 100% on the field and try to win us a few games as previously. Not saying he isn't trying but is he trying hard enough?

This may not be the right thread, but I've typed it out now. :)

He probably played his worst game of the season on Saturday and we won by 70pts. At this point Aker is just icing in the cake, but as we have quite a few regulars to come back in and we have quite a few young 'uns who look to have stepped up Aker is going to have to get busy to ensure he remains in the team.

In saying that Aker is an old pro and would never stoop to the level of not trying.

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 03:55 PM
He probably played his worst game of the season on Saturday and we won by 70pts. At this point Aker is just icing in the cake, but as we have quite a few regulars to come back in and we have quite a few young 'uns who look to have stepped up Aker is going to have to get busy to ensure he remains in the team.

In saying that Aker is an old pro and would never stoop to the level of not trying.

^^ totally agree.

What kind of rubbish is being insinuated by the fact that he's getting paid more outside the club? Not everyone is led by their hip pocket. He said last year that it would be his last because of how tough pre-seasons are, but it was his choice to come back after the club asked him to, on much lower money, and endure another pre-season ONLY because he feels that we are a genuine chance for the flag.

He's going to throw all that away -- ie. his last ever AFL season, a chance at a flag, and all the hard work put in over the off-season because he's got an eye on his media gigs? Ridiculous.

craigsahibee
26-05-2010, 08:30 PM
In the heat of 2nd quarter, I couldn't help but yell that out :o

My comment was something along the lines of "at least at the Gold Coast you would be crap but warm"

However I was reasonably snug with my newly acquired scarf draped around my neck.

LostDoggy
27-05-2010, 01:21 PM
This incident is going to go INTERNATIONAL! It will be BALLISTIC! It will TEAR APART THE FABRIC OF A CLUB!

Well, maybe Reuters might pick up the story if AFL journos learnt to spell...

Hahaha, true, true…

And that brave kidney punch by Pratt on Barry as he was trying to leave the ground was tough.:rolleyes: Pratt certainly lives up to his surname.

Oy! No knocking the Pratts mate… (my mother's family are Pratt)

Media Write-up Of The Year

This is a club on its knees and living on borrowed time. It has no fans, no members, no one turning up to its games, no real future, no leadership, so-so on-field talent and MASSIVE debt. Two years ago it arrived at a crossroads with regards to its future. The choice was between going North and becoming rich and successful, or stay in Victoria and fight the moral fight.

It chose to stay and fight. That day, it stopped being just another football club. It represented the last remnants of a bygone era standing up against the corporate machine. The rhetoric bandied about at the time was one of defiance and honour. Tens of thousands of football fans from around the state rallied around them, many of us even choosing to financially support them with a membership, not because we supported the club, but because we believed in the ideal.

Unless they live up to the ideal, however, they are dead. The reality is, they have been effectively dead since that decision NOT to go to the Gold Coast. Without any financial future and no possible way to expand their fan base, on that day they mortgaged their future, not to the Gold Coast as requested by AFL HQ, but to the ideals of a community club run with honour and the highest integrity. As long as they attempted to live up to that ideal, they could count on the support of those of us who remember the days that the game belonged to the people and not to suits only interested in the bottom line.

Everything they have done since then (not just last week) has been a slap in the face of those who believed they would stand for more than crass opportunism. If they want to be just another soulless, unethical entity they may as well have packed up their bags and headed North for the money.

This should be sent to the NMFC.

He's going to throw all that away -- ie. his last ever AFL season, a chance at a flag, and all the hard work put in over the off-season because he's got an eye on his media gigs? Ridiculous.

Absolutely. The Age might be pissed off that Aker singlehandedly increased the circulation of the Hun last week.