PDA

View Full Version : Round 10 - Selection Changes

becmatty
22-05-2010, 07:36 PM
A solid team performance sets up another tough week at the selection table...

With Higgins primed to return, the player to make way for him will be stiff. Everitt will be the other to come into serious consideration.

I don't imagine any more than one change however, unless there is a forced change.

Giansiracusa has mild concussion, but will be right.
Griffen and Acker will be looked at closely after both pulled up stiff.
Hall should have the misconduct report thrown out (hopefully common sense prevails).

I think we will offload Addison, despite his close checking, as Picken reclaims the key stoppage role. Stack may be the other player is is mildly vulnerable.

In: Higgins
Out: Addison

Dazza
22-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Reckon there is a chance Addison might of fractured his cheekbone?

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Eagleton should never play another game.

He can't kick a football anymore, pure and simple. It was astounding how many times he missed targets under absolutely no pressure. I know we've had injuries so our hand has been somewhat forced, but there's no way he can continue to get a game.

Addison was solid again today. Not sure why people keep calling for his head. I've been critical of him in the past, but he's been pretty handy for us this season and is earning his spot every week.

Hopefully Higgo is right to go next week.

IN: Higgins/Everitt
OUT: Eagleton

becmatty
22-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Reckon there is a chance Addison might of fractured his cheekbone?

I think he will miss next week. With all the staples, he looked like Frankenstein:

"You are my creator, but I am your master - obey!"

comrade
22-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Eagleton should never play another game.

His kicking was woeful and his decision making was worse - I can barely recall a kick that was to the advantage of a team mate. If Higgins (or Moles) is available next week, Eagle should be banished to Williamstown.

becmatty
22-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Eagleton is bashed senseless on this forum. His possessions were at 74% efficiency today, which was better than the North Melbourne team average.

Granted he can turn the ball over frustratingly at times, but his run and carry is important. I'm tipping that he will add to his 267 games next week...

The Coon Dog
22-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Today was the first of four in a row at Etihad. It will take its toll on players, so I'd be quite happy to rotate 1 or 2 each week if they're sore, starting with Aker, he looked sore today.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Eagleton is bashed senseless on this forum. His possessions were 74% efficiency, which was better that the average for the North Melbourne Team.

Granted he can turn the ball over frustratingly at times, but his run and carry is important. I'm tipping that he will add to his 267 games next week...

Did you see the game today, or are you just basing your comments purely on stats?

His one powerful weapon is no longer anywhere near as potent as it once was, too many helicopter kicks as he takes an eternity to actually kick & teams are able to exert enough pressure on him in the final stage of kicking, effects him enormously.

I've appreciated his involvement, but I really do feel like the game's passed him.

becmatty
22-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Did you see the game today, or are you just basing your comments purely on stats?

His one powerful weapon is no longer anywhere near as potent as it once was, too many helicopter kicks as he takes an eternity to actually kick & teams are able to exert enough pressure on him in the final stage of kicking, effects him enormously.

I've appreciated his involvement, but I really do feel like the game's passed him.

Well stats are facts Coon Dog. And the facts show that Eagleton's use of the ball stacks up okay. He made a few ugly mistakes which have clouded your judgement of his overall contribution. I think you will find that the match committee will agree with me.

Stefcep
22-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Well stats are facts Coon Dog. And the facts show that Eagleton's use of the ball stacks up okay. He made a few ugly mistakes which have clouded your judgement of his overall contribution. I think you will find that the match committee will agree with me.

He doesn't win any 50-50's, his diposal by hand or foot often puts a team mate under pressure, and he's lost about 15 metres with his kicks. So what's left?

IMO Shaggy's been a passenger for most of the season.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2010, 08:52 PM

If Brodie Moles was fit, Eagleton wouldn't have played this week. Take that as fact.

Stevo
22-05-2010, 08:59 PM

If Brodie Moles was fit, Eagleton wouldn't have played this week. Take that as fact.

You two seem to have this battle from time to time. Thursday night will be the decider. For what its worth I think TCD could be proved right.

becmatty
22-05-2010, 09:04 PM
He doesn't win any 50-50's, his diposal by hand or foot often puts a team mate under pressure, and he's lost about 15 metres with his kicks. So what's left?

IMO Shaggy's been a passenger for most of the season.

He is and always has been an outside midfielder and has never been known for his hard-ball gets. So what has changed there?

What he does offer is great offensive dash, invaluable experience and a solid midfield rotation option.

As vetrans age, it is fair to expect that them to have diminished physically. This is also true of Acker and Johnno. But this trio is vital to our chances this year I believe, and their leadership is essential.

Eagleton still has enough tricks and continues to have an impact despite his knockers.

Mantis
22-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Eagleton is bashed senseless on this forum. His possessions were at 74% efficiency today, which was better than the North Melbourne team average.

I think his kicking efficiency was made to look better as many of his kicks were when he was chipping it sideways to a free player.

Stefcep
22-05-2010, 09:21 PM
He is and always has been an outside midfielder and has never been known for his hard-ball gets. So what has changed there?

what's changed is that 50-50's have become 10-90's against him. I've supported him last 3 seasons when others were calling for his head, but now I cringe when ever he is not TOTALLY unatteneded as i have no confidence in him taking possession when under the slightest bit of opposition pressure.

What he does offer is great offensive dash, invaluable experince and a solid midfield rotation option.

Other than experience I don't agree.

As vetrans age, it is fair to expect that them to have diminished physically. This is also true of Acker and Johnno. But this trio is vital to our chances this year I believe, and their leadership is essential.

So far all three have been ineffective, through lack of form and injury. Its the risk we took keeping old bodies on list for this season. We'll know if it was the right decision soon enough

mjp
22-05-2010, 09:23 PM
His kicking efficiency today probably fell into the lies and damn statistics category, but then again so did Lake's 22 effective disposals in the first half. Eagleton isn't what he was and I doubt he will play every week moving forward, but he does know the structures and game-style and can certainly play a role.

Not quite time to completely turn the page yet - it isn't as if the potential replacements have really nailed down a spot.

becmatty
22-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I am glad many of you are not on the club's List Management team.

aker39
22-05-2010, 09:57 PM

You started a thread asking for changes for this week. Do you want peoples opinions or not.

mjp
22-05-2010, 09:58 PM

That's fair enough, but I think the club made the decision to let Eagle go last year - it was only some players taking pay cuts that allowed him to stay on the list.

Hotdog60
22-05-2010, 09:59 PM
One thing I noticed in todays game was that Eagle had the ball about 5 mins in the first quarter, 55 out from goal and all the players were up the at the 35-40 meter mark and Eagle is usually a hands down to get the goal.
With a vacant goal square he decides to pass the Barry with 3 defenders around him and hence the ball is turned over and sent down to the other end.
This wouldn't have happened last year, he must be down on confidence or something.
The other option in the same piece of play was to move it on quickly if he wanted Barry as he was 5 meter behind his opponent and Eagle could have easily sent one of his raking left foot passes to Barry, too slow on the release for both sets of play.

EasternWest
23-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Acker
I think we will offload [B]Addison

Addison should only miss if his facial injury keeps him out. Has done nothing to deserve being dropped. Though you've provided your reasons for his replacement, I'm always surprised by those that just arbitrarily want to make a change for him.

And I have no idea who this Acker person is.

bornadog
23-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Heard Eade talking about the players out:

Ward will play at Willi in two weeks.

Murphy out for another few weeks.

Johnno may or may not play before the break, they will ease him back.

Higgins will be right to play next week.

Selection will be interesting this week.

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Hopefully they play poor now and come finals they play good. Unlike last year (I.e. Aker)

Sedat
23-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Addison should only miss if his facial injury keeps him out. Has done nothing to deserve being dropped. Though you've provided your reasons for his replacement, I'm always surprised by those that just arbitrarily want to make a change for him.
Thought he was back to his 2008 form today - was outstanding in his courage and application at the contests. Also much, much better in his actual use of the ball today. He's winning me over with his last month of footy.

MrMahatma
23-05-2010, 07:27 AM

I prefer to hold our players to the standards of our team, rather than that of the team we just flogged by 70 points.

Either way - Eagleton offered little last year, and nothing this year. He's mature bodied insurance at best now. Reid, Ward, Johnson, Murphy, Moles, Higgins, Everitt - That's 7 guys who didn't play today that I'd have ahead of him.

I thought Addison was pretty rubbish this week - he does some good things, but he is horrible below his knees - for a small guy he's just sloppy. Does my head in. I'd have him dropped.

ledge
23-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Well I think if Hall gets outed its quite obvious who is coming in.
Out: Hall
In: Gillard

strebla
23-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Well I think if Hall gets outed its quite obvious who is coming in.
Out: Hall
In: Gillard

Nice Ledge I am firmly in the Ego out side of things nowhere near enough output if he want to play as an outside player he needs to use the footy a hell of a lot better than he does

Sockeye Salmon
23-05-2010, 01:21 PM

It is a fact that a tomato is a fruit. Only a dill would put one in a fruit salad.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

Sorry Eagle, but the time comes when we have to say it to everyone eventually. Even Chris Grant.

KT31
23-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Hopefully they play poor now and come finals they play good. Unlike last year (I.e. Aker)

If they play poorly now, we won't make the top four.
Imperative to playing in the GF.

BulldogBelle
23-05-2010, 02:46 PM
That last quarter of Eagletons was absolutely shocking. We could've had at least two more goals purely if his disposal and decision making was up to his high standard. He failed at the strongest parts of his game. Might be carrying?

Addison was great I thought. His kick to grant was a ripper and his courage never falters. Never be a star...but so glad he's come good.

Selection will be interesting I think.

strebla
23-05-2010, 04:19 PM
It is a fact that a tomato is a fruit. Only a dill would put one in a fruit salad.

Sorry Eagle, but the time comes when we have to say it to everyone eventually. Even Chris Grant.

Great point but the Eagle is no C Grant nor is he a S West or D Hawkins time to go thanks for the contribution but time for a kid to come in!

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 09:30 PM
If they play poorly now, we won't make the top four.
Imperative to playing in the GF.

Let me re-phrase. They are playing poor now, lets hope they get better and better as the season goes on :)

mjp
23-05-2010, 09:57 PM
If Gia really was concussed I would give him a week off.

The Underdog
24-05-2010, 09:44 AM

I agree on Eagle, he is no longer in our best 22 when we're at full strength and if I'm being totally honest based on this season's form, I'm not sure Aker is either. It'd be a big call to drop him but Grant and Stack and Hill are as equally deserving of a spot in the forward line as he is at the moment. It'd be good to see the team being picked on form rather than names given the competition for spots.

changes will depend upon how Gia and Addison recover and whether Hall is martyred by the MRP or not.
Higgins an obvious recall.
Would like to see Everitt play but would probably need Addison to miss. Hate to see a player in form lose his spot in the team due to injury. I really rate his season so far.

Rance Fan
24-05-2010, 10:07 AM
If Halls outed...Id play Everitt or Roughead at fullforward

bulldogsman
24-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Gia came back on after his hit, I doubt he will miss.

Mofra
24-05-2010, 10:15 AM
If Halls outed...Id play Everitt or Roughead at fullforward
I wouldn't mind seeing either come, although if it was Skinny I'd put him at HF and give Grant a run at FF. I don't think it will happen though.

Out: Hall, Umpire's credibility in protecting the player
In: Higgins, More controversy

azabob
24-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Gia came back on after his hit, I doubt he will miss.

But he got at least two possibly three heavy knocks during the game.

Hotdog60
24-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Hall's in, only got a fine.

Pickenitup
24-05-2010, 06:37 PM
In Higgins
Out Stack
I would love to see Moles in for Eages but i dont thinkit will happen i believe Moles is a must for the Pies game next week and if fit need to bring him in this week

comrade
24-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I know it was impossible due to the existing points hanging over his head, but I don't think a week off would have necessarily been a bad thing for Baz.

Gives him a chance to freshen up, ready to take on the Pies.

Any chance we'll go down this path anyway?

Go_Dogs
24-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I know it was impossible due to the existing points hanging over his head, but I don't think a week off would have necessarily been a bad thing for Baz.

Interesting thought, but I don't think it's likely. Baz will probably kick 10 against the Bombers on Friday.

Ozza
24-05-2010, 06:58 PM
In Higgins
Out Stack
I would love to see Moles in for Eages but i dont thinkit will happen i believe Moles is a must for the Pies game next week and if fit need to bring him in this week

I know somebody has to miss - but I'd be disappointed if it was Stack....I can't claim to be firmly on the Stack bandwagon - but he has impressed me the last few weeks - and on Saturday he didn't get much reward for his efforts - but he was very hard at the ball and gave us some excellent contests at times.

Would prefer Eagleton to miss at this stage. He is down on form....and chances!

Pickenitup
24-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Stack would be very stiff but for Higgo to come back in like for like forward/midfielder he would unfortunatley have to miss but his form is encouraging for the future

Dazza
24-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd like to see us go unchanged this week. Possibly Higgins in and Akermanis out if anything. I'm liking the faster forward setup and enjoying Gia's output in the midfield.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 09:28 PM
How's Addison doing?

Mantis
24-05-2010, 09:28 PM

In short no.

My reason would be that we already have a few forwards out at present in Johnson, Murphy & Higgins (possibly) and with Aker and Hahn not hitting the scoreboard as often as they have in the past I think we need Barry in to add some experience and goal kicking power. Our young forwards have been really good over the 3 games, but we would be relying on them too much if Hall misses.

Once we have some of the players mentioned back in the team I am sure we will be able to give Barry a rest (only if required)

Mantis
24-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I know somebody has to miss - but I'd be disappointed if it was Stack....I can't claim to be firmly on the Stack bandwagon - but he has impressed me the last few weeks - and on Saturday he didn't get much reward for his efforts - but he was very hard at the ball and gave us some excellent contests at times.

I thought so too.

In the past I have thought that Brennan hadn't always put his body on the line when he had to, and in some of these instances you could see him think twice about 'going'. On Saturday he just went and it was in a way a coming of age day for Stacky.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2010, 10:37 PM

What he does offer is great offensive dash, invaluable experience and a solid midfield rotation option.

Eagleton still has enough tricks and continues to have an impact despite his knockers.

IMO you could be right here (3) but will he be better as an outside runner than Everitt?

With Aker getting some work and Jonno needing match fitness I cant see us playing the 3 soon.

bornadog
24-05-2010, 11:10 PM

I agree and in fact could have had a few more goals when he positioned himself beautifully on his own but was ignored.

EasternWest
25-05-2010, 03:56 PM
How's Addison doing?

You mean in relation to his face?

There's an article out today (in another thread here) that mentions he'll play his 50th game this week. So I'm guessing that means he's in.

I hope so, but I'm not positive. The pic in my avatar is from the article, and it's a bad cut. Would be bad timing for him to go out now.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd like to see us go unchanged this week. Possibly Higgins in and Akermanis out if anything. I'm liking the faster forward setup and enjoying Gia's output in the midfield.

Yeah i'd like to keep the forward setup unchanged too, the extra pace is great so give Stackhat a few more games and see if he can keep improving & cement a spot. Higgins in for Aker sounds like a good idea. If Eagleton goes out (he probably should) whoever replaces him needs to give us the same run Eagle does, we don't need to be any slower against the bombers.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 06:04 PM
You mean in relation to his face?

There's an article out today (in another thread here) that mentions he'll play his 50th game this week. So I'm guessing that means he's in.

I hope so, but I'm not positive. The pic in my avatar is from the article, and it's a bad cut. Would be bad timing for him to go out now.

Yeah got the paper today. Saw the boys training in the rain today to. Cold weather and stitches on the face wouldn't feel to good.

always right
25-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Griff get another rest. He came off on Saturday feeling his lower back and despite coming back on and performing well, I think he would have pulled up pretty stiff and sore after the game. Hope I'm wrong as we are going to need a our best runners up and going against the bombers.

Otherwise Higgins in for Stack. Stack has been encouraging but Higgins is simply ahead of him. Addison stays and may be given a job on a player such as Monfries. Picken to get Stanton?

Sockeye Salmon
25-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Higgins in for Eagleton.

I'd love to see Moles in for Addison as well but I doubt that will happen.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Higgins in for Eagleton.

I'd love to see Moles in for Addison as well but I doubt that will happen.

I think these are the right changes, although Eagle has not been dropped in how many years? I think its really Aker or Eagle who are under pressure and Moles needs chances

I'm an Addison fan and wouldn't drop him for this one, but I'd like to see Moles introduced again shortly

jazzadogs
25-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd like to see:

Out - Aker, Eagle
In - Higgins, Moles

Aker is well down on form, even when you include his defensive pressure. He isn't in the side just to apply defensive pressure, but to kick and set up goals. Only has 7 assists for the year, plus two goals. Not enough IMO.

Pretty sure Addison was quoted as saying he was definitely in this week. Big vote of confidence from Rocket to tell him so early in the week.

divvydan
25-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Given the 6 day break that we have this week, is it entirely out of the realms of possibility that Hall will actually be rested this week with a view that a rest this week would see him through to the mid season break and then maybe one final rest late in the season might be enough for him?

Perhaps the WCE game and giving him a 3 week break is the more logical option and indeed given the events of last weekend and the last couple of days, resting Hall seems to be less likely than it might have been otherwise.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 09:22 PM
If any of our top 10-12 players aren't feeling 100%, rest them. Cos we all know who we got next week.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Given the 6 day break that we have this week, is it entirely out of the realms of possibility that Hall will actually be rested this week with a view that a rest this week would see him through to the mid season break and then maybe one final rest late in the season might be enough for him?

Perhaps the WCE game and giving him a 3 week break is the more logical option and indeed given the events of last weekend and the last couple of days, resting Hall seems to be less likely than it might have been otherwise.

I dont really think giving Barry a 3 week break is a good idea, its sometimes hard especially if your in your 30s to come straight back in to the side and play good footy after big breaks like that.

LostDoggy
27-05-2010, 05:59 PM
List just in, Higgins in, Eagle out

chef
27-05-2010, 05:59 PM

I like:)

jazzadogs
27-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Very surprising that it actually happened.

Greystache
27-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Essendon-

In- Lovett-Murray
out- Melksham

jazzadogs
27-05-2010, 06:04 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee

C: Dylan Addison, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross

HF: Brennan Stack, Mitch Hahn, Josh Hill

F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa

Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen

I/C: Will Minson, Liam Picken, Jason Akermanis, Shaun Higgins

Emg: Brodie Moles, Andrejs Everitt, Nathan Eagleton

In: Higgins
Out: Nathan Eagleton

ESSENDON

B: Heath Hocking, Dustin Fletcher, Courtenay Dempsey

HB: Mark McVeigh, Tayte Pears, David Myers

C: Leroy Jetta, Jobe Watson, Jason Winderlich

HF: Angus Monfries, Scott Gumbleton, Sam Lonergan

F: David Hille, Michael Hurley, Alwyn Davey

Foll: Patrick Ryder, Brent Stanton, Ben Howlett

I/C: David Zaharakis, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Jarrod Atkinson, Brent Prismall

Emg: Travis Colyer, Mark Williams, Kyle Hardingham

In: Lovett-Murray
Out: Jake Melksham (foot)

bornadog
27-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I am happy with that.

BulldogBelle
27-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm an Eagle lover but i'm so glad that change was made, I honestly didn't think it would happen knowing our record. Perfect.

That Essendon side has alot of strength about it. (sure, there is plenty of weakness, but the damage factor is massive)

We will have to be on the ball for this one.

Dogs by 26.

Go_Dogs
27-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Looks like a strong side this week, should be a fairly comfortable victory - although of course the Bombers will throw everything at us.

LostDoggy
27-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I like how Eade's going about it this year, he is actually dropping under performing senior players which is good!

LostDoggy
27-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Looks a strong, fast side - like Higgins back, he adds some depth as he can play forward or back really. Hope that Gia, and Dylan are okay after last week but I'm guessing the medical staff know more than me:p

Sedat
27-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Wow, the Bald Eagle dropped for the first time in 7 years. His AFL career is officially in all sorts of trouble.

lemmon
27-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Happy with that, though I think Essendon have made a mistake not playing Williams. On his day he's a match winner and in games like these you need all of them you can get.

Mantis
27-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Happy with that, though I think Essendon have made a mistake not playing Williams. On his day he's a match winner and in games like these you need all of them you can get.

I am afraid these days only occur in a leap year.

Greystache
27-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Yep.

GF and her family are mad Essendon so I often go along and watch. His first 3 games were nothing short of shocking, even the game he kicked 3 against Carlton were from a combo of gives over the top from a team mate and a set shot from an out on the full. I'm slightly dissapointed he's not playing, his lack of defensive efforts would of helped our attack from defensive 50.

comrade
27-05-2010, 07:34 PM
becmatty always comes up with the goods :D

bornadog
27-05-2010, 07:48 PM
There's still hope, seeing as he's named as an emergency.

Argh the old memory:D

Eagleton is not part of our future, has done very well over the years, but time to drop players that don't perform. Aker is going to have to play well or he is next.

comrade
27-05-2010, 07:58 PM
How stiff is Andrejs Everitt? Prior to his injury, he was fantastic and now he can't get a look in.

With Murphy, Ward and Johnno still to come into the 22, it's going to be hard to squeeze Dre in.

BulldogBelle
27-05-2010, 08:15 PM
How stiff is Andrejs Everitt? Prior to his injury, he was fantastic and now he can't get a look in.

With Murphy, Ward and Johnno still to come into the 22, it's going to be hard to squeeze Dre in.

Seems that in the NAB Cup, The Eagle was carrying some extra beef

When he lost that he also lost some penetration to his kicks, which for his is probably his # 1 weapon

Or maybe its a factor of age.... In Rohan Smith's last season I remember he lost quite a bit of penetration of his kicks

Mantis
27-05-2010, 08:28 PM

He just went out at the wrong time as we have played well over the past 2 weeks and it's going to be hard to get back in if you aren't an absolute certainity in our best 22 and Andrejs isn't quite there yet.

lemmon
27-05-2010, 08:30 PM

That may be so but he still takes a quality defender, his omission really frees up a guy like Shaggy to play on a Monfries type where he may have previously had a Gilbee or Addison on him

Bumper Bulldogs
27-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I like the fact that our back 6 are back fit and playing well, I think this will be the difference, Shaggy took a few weeks to get back on track after getting knocked out against the Hawks. Tommy gun is also looking the goods. A stable back 6 is the way forward for mine.

Agree with the Aker comments he needs to find some form and I would like to see him and bazza the only two in the forward 50. I know it hard in todays game but we can dream.

firstdogonthemoon
28-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Wow, the Bald Eagle dropped for the first time in 7 years. His AFL career is officially in all sorts of trouble.

I never liked him

KT31
28-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Nothing against the Eagle but watching hiom the last couple I think the game may have passed him.
If we had a few more younger runners his spot may have been saved, but after years of screaming we are to short, IMO we are now we are quite tall and our forward runners are older and slower.

Go_Dogs
28-05-2010, 10:53 AM
He just went out at the wrong time as we have played well over the past 2 weeks and it's going to be hard to get back in if you aren't an absolute certainity in our best 22 and Andrejs isn't quite there yet.

I tend to agree, but think certainly over the next week or 2 we'll see him back in Dogs colours. Like others have said, was in good touch and provides us with some additional versatility. Definitely a player we'd want in the mix in September (not looking too far ahead...)

Greystache
28-05-2010, 11:08 AM

I think Tommy Williams plays a part in it as well, we've got Tommy in the team but he doesn't play on any of the oppositions most dangerous talls, Lake and the still undersized Morris get the jobs. I don't think we can play Everitt and Williams in the same side unless either Everitt plays further up the ground, or Williams starts taking the KPFs and Morris is released to play on the mid sized forwards. Otherwise we get exposed for a lack of run in defence.

ledge
28-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I think Tommy Williams plays a part in it as well, we've got Tommy in the team but he doesn't play on any of the oppositions most dangerous talls, Lake and the still undersized Morris get the jobs. I don't think we can play Everitt and Williams in the same side unless either Everitt plays further up the ground, or Williams starts taking the KPFs and Morris is released to play on the mid sized forwards. Otherwise we get exposed for a lack of run in defence.

I always try to keep in mind the opposition we are playing that week as of course selection will be goverened by this also.

Everitt Williams and Lake would probably all get a game against a side like Hawthorn but against a side like Carlton probably only 2 would be picked.
Horses for courses
Doesnt mean a player has done wrong to be dropped at times.

I would hate to be a coach on some selection nights.

turfdog
28-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Tonight is exactly what you deserve and what you will continue to get for dropping Eagleton and leaving uncompetitive, inexperienced players who won't perform under pressure (like Stack and Hill) in the team. We can't afford to lose any more 'should-win' games. Wake Up!

Mantis
28-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Tonight is exactly what you deserve and what you will continue to get for dropping Eagleton and leaving uncompetitive, inexperienced players who won't perform under pressure (like Stack and Hill) in the team. We can't afford to lose any more 'should-win' games. Wake Up!

You are kidding yourself if you believe any of what you have just posted.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Sorry, as average as there games were, it was poor disposal/fumbling from guys more senior than those two that put us in a poor position. Cooney, Hahn, Higgins, Addison, Boyd and Cross at times turned it over or fumbled at crucial times or putting their teammate under extreme pressure.
I would like to see how many goals the Bombers scored from our turnovers.

turfdog
29-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Sorry, as average as there games were, it was poor disposal/fumbling from guys more senior than those two that put us in a poor position. Cooney, Hahn, Higgins, Addison, Boyd and Cross at times turned it over or fumbled at crucial times or putting their teammate under extreme pressure.
I would like to see how many goals the Bombers scored from our turnovers.

So what, are you going to call for them to be dropped next week?

azabob
29-05-2010, 12:16 AM

On this board its WE.

Not sure Eagleton would've changed the result tonight.

turfdog
29-05-2010, 12:17 AM
You are kidding yourself if you believe any of what you have just posted.

Tonight blew our chances of making the top four. If you don't believe it, lets go with the same 22 and see who's right.

At the moment Eagleton, Everitt and Moles (assuming availability) should replace Stack, Hill and Addison. Only when Johnson, Murphy and Ward become available should we consider dropping Eagleton and others.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 12:23 AM

No. I'm asking for us not to pick easy targets in our fringe players and punish them for what is a larger problem than their form. I'm calling on our experience players to lift and set the example for these inexperienced players to follow, and play at the level they should be performing at.
It's no good just making an example of the fringe players when by and large it is the experienced leaders of the club who are not playing at the required level.

We as supporters might feel better about ourselves picking easy scapegoats, but I would hope our coaches are above that.

GVGjr
29-05-2010, 12:25 AM
We as supporters might feel better about ourselves picking easy scapegoats, but I would hope our coaches are above that.

And clearly they are. Still a few changes would need to be made and in one way I was glad Eagleton wasn't playing because it's too easy for him to be the main focus after a loss.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Tonight blew our chances of making the top four. If you don't believe it, lets go with the same 22 and see who's right.

At the moment Eagleton, Everitt and Moles (assuming availability) should replace Stack, Hill and Addison. Only when Johnson, Murphy and Ward become available should we consider dropping Eagleton and others.

Stack had a poor game, Hill was okay without being important. But again, they were not the reasons we lost tonight.
Eagleton's form has been poor for the past few games, his kicking has lacked penetration, and he is hardly in form. He looks to have lost a yard of pace as well. It seems like a perplexing decision to call for Eagleton's inclusion until his form at Williamstown warrants it.
Everitt for Stack has some merit.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 12:28 AM
And clearly they are. Still a few changes would need to be made and in one way I was glad Eagleton wasn't playing because it's too easy for him to be the main focus after a loss.

Agree on both points. A good chance for some guys to put their hand up with Willy this weekend.

The Coon Dog
29-05-2010, 12:28 AM

If they become as habitual offenders as Eagleton is, yes.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Our main problem tonight was foot skills and it was from our senior players.

Higgins was horrible

Cooney in the space of two minuites kicked two of the worst kicks in the entire game going into our forward 50.

Everytime i looked we kicked to disadvantage. ive never winced and sighed so much in a night.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Our main problem tonight was foot skills and it was from our senior players.

Higgins was horrible

Cooney in the space of two minuites kicked two of the worst kicks in the entire game going into our forward 50.

Everytime i looked we kicked to disadvantage. ive never winced and sighed so much in a night.

Even late in the last quarter, Aker kicking to Barry on the lead. He has a couple of yards on the defender & yet has to try and mark the ball at his shoe laces, all round kicking was horrible tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2010, 12:45 AM
A) Why is our disposal (and decision making) down on last year so badly?

B) We will struggle against sides like Essendon, Carlton and Geelong who can run and move the ball quickly. Serious lack of pace and defensive pressure and there's not much we can do about it.

turfdog
29-05-2010, 12:50 AM
No. I'm asking for us not to pick easy targets in our fringe players and punish them for what is a larger problem than their form. I'm calling on our experience players to lift and set the example for these inexperienced players to follow, and play at the level they should be performing at.
It's no good just making an example of the fringe players when by and large it is the experienced leaders of the club who are not playing at the required level.

I disagree that our central group, the stars who we have come to expect to perform week in week out, Hudson, Lake, Gilbee, Boyd, Hall, Cross, Cooney, Morris, Griffen (sorry if I have missed some), should be responsible for gaining the four points every week.

If some of your so called 'fringe players' followed the examples that have already been set time and time again by these guys, just a small effort of a couple of goals could make all the difference.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:54 AM
I disagree that our central group, the stars who we have come to expect to perform week in week out, Hudson, Lake, Gilbee, Boyd, Hall, Cross, Cooney, Morris, Griffen (sorry if I have missed some), should be responsible for gaining the four points every week.

If some of your so called 'fringe players' followed the examples that have already been set time and time again by these guys, just a small effort of a couple of goals could make all the difference.

Yet Hill kicked 3 tonight & you still called for his head, isn't that going back on your previous post?

choconmientay
29-05-2010, 12:56 AM

We may need to look towards of managing the best 28 and not only the best 22 players and stick with a rotation system to have them always fit and hunger all the time (what all the soccer clubs are doing really effectively). This way we do not need to rely on the top players/stars to perform week-in week-out.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 01:20 AM

So then you think our performance tonight was due to the lack of performance of Stack and Hill, and was not more to do with the poor kicking and fumbling in critical moments of Cooney, Higgins, Boyd, Cross, Hahn, Aker & Addison?

And before you think I'm suggesting we drop them, (with the exception perhaps of Addison and maybe Aker) I'm merely highlighting that it would therefore be difficult to single out Stack and Hill, when at least 7 of our experienced blokes ( a 3rd of the team)played a less than acceptable game.

Hill kicked 3 goals, I don't think he was necessarily the problem.
Stack made no contribution and would no doubt be in the frame for omission next week, as I've mentioned.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 01:25 AM

So then you think our performance tonight was due to the lack of performance of Stack and Hill, and was not more to do with the poor kicking and fumbling in critical moments of Cooney, Higgins, Boyd, Cross, Hahn, Aker & Addison?

And before you think I'm suggesting we drop them, (with the exception perhaps of Addison and maybe Aker) I'm merely highlighting that it would therefore be difficult to single out Stack and Hill, when at least 7 of our experienced blokes ( a 3rd of the team)played a less than acceptable game.

Hill kicked 3 goals, I don't think he was necessarily the problem.
Stack made no contribution and would no doubt be in the frame for omission next week, as I've mentioned.

jazzadogs
29-05-2010, 01:54 AM

Well what you're saying is that our inexperienced players are the ones responsible for gaining four points every week. If we're relying on Josh Hill and Brennan Stack to win us a game of football, then we are in big trouble.

Tonight was clearly an all-round poor performance, and whilst it would have been great to see Stack have a good game, the games of Boyd, Cross, Higgins etc are much more concerning.

turfdog
29-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Yet Hill kicked 3 tonight & you still called for his head, isn't that going back on your previous post?

We cannot win the flag if we sacrifice 4 points against teams like Essendon. We went inside more times than Essendon tonight but got flogged. Our forward line is obviously a problem.

I see the untouchables as being Hall, Gia, Higgins but the rest are borderline (including Hahn & Grant). I think Acker should be playing forward or not at all, and, without Johnno and Murph, Hahn and Grant should make up the rest of the forward line with maybe one other to rotate (probably Everitt) leaving anyone else to prove they can win one-on-one's and make a difference in pressure games.

Mantis
29-05-2010, 07:25 AM
We cannot win the flag if we sacrifice 4 points against teams like Essendon. We went inside more times than Essendon tonight but got flogged. Our forward line is obviously a problem.

I see the untouchables as being Hall, Gia, Higgins but the rest are borderline (including Hahn & Grant). I think Acker should be playing forward or not at all, and, without Johnno and Murph, Hahn and Grant should make up the rest of the forward line with maybe one other to rotate (probably Everitt) leaving anyone else to prove they can win one-on-one's and make a difference in pressure games.

Yet last week we went inside 50 less times than North and won easily.

The problem isn't so much with the forwards it has more to do with how the ball was delivered to them.

GVGjr
29-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Yet last week we went inside 50 less times than North and won easily.

The problem isn't so much with the forwards it has more to do with how the ball was delivered to them.

One thing that was very noticeable this week is that we were under a lot more physical pressure when we had the ball than the previous week. Whilst our delivery into the forward line was poor it was because the midfielders didn't have the space or the time to pin point their passes. It is however, the sort of pressure we should be able to handle and it's the sort of pressure you would expect in finals football.

Sedat
29-05-2010, 08:05 AM
One thing that was very noticeable this week is that we were under a lot more physical pressure when we had the ball than the previous week. Whilst our delivery into the forward line was poor it was because the midfielders didn't have the space or the time to pin point their passes. It is however, the sort of pressure we should be able to handle and it's the sort of pressure you would expect in finals football.
Whilst I'd agree with this in relation to the 1st half, I don't think any of the numerous forward entries we had in the 3rd qtr that we butchered had much at all to do with opposition pressure. We smashed the Bombers in the clearances 44 to 29 and most of these resulted in clean entries. We just either shanked clear kicks running into 50 (Cooney x 2, Griff x 2), put it over Hall's head and made it easy for Fletcher to kill the contest (x 3) or made awful decision-making errors (another 2-3).

GVGjr
29-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Whilst I'd agree with this in relation to the 1st half, I don't think any of the numerous forward entries we had in the 3rd qtr that we butchered had much at all to do with opposition pressure. We smashed the Bombers in the clearances 44 to 29 and most of these resulted in clean entries. We just either shanked clear kicks running into 50 (Cooney x 2, Griff x 2), put it over Hall's head and made it easy for Fletcher to kill the contest (x 3) or made awful decision-making errors (another 2-3).

I don't know many times Cross handballed inefficiently as well.

Agreed that it was primarily the first half where we were under a lot of pressure but it did set the tone and certainly got the Bombers believing that they had our number.

firstdogonthemoon
29-05-2010, 10:08 AM
You see? I was right, again! Drop Eagleton and look what happens.