PDA

View Full Version : U18 Championships / U18 Players

southerncross
25-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Anyone know which are the players to look out for especially the interstate smokies? Most of the highly regarded Victorians are easy enough to scope out but the interstaters are the intruguing ones because many of them have already played some senior state football.

Anyone know much about Alex Rance from WA? 194cm and plays both as a forward and as a defender.

bornadog
25-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Anyone know which are the players to look out for especially the interstate smokies? Most of the highly regarded Victorians are easy enough to scope out but the interstaters are the intruguing ones because many of them have already played some senior state football.

Anyone know much about Alex Rance from WA? 194cm and plays both as a forward and as a defender.

He is the son of Murray Rance, ex doggy/Weagles

Here is an excerpt from game early June:

The highlight of the first half was the performance of the Swans four debutants including Alex Rance, son of former Eagle and Swan Districts legend Murray Rance. Rance was given the task of keeping one of the Demon’s tall forwards quiet and began opposed to Kane Ransted, and his fellow state 18’s squad member David Ellard began in the forward line and kicked three first half goals.

He is also in the State 18

The Western Australian State 18s squad has been reduced to the final 25 ahead of its opening game of the 2007 NAB AFL National Under 18s Championships against Victoria Metro at Subiaco Oval on June 30.

State 18s final 25-man squad:
Swan Districts -- David Ellard, Chris Yarran, Alex Rance, Luke Pratt, Tony Notte, Nicholas Naitanui
Claremont -- Simon Starling, Cale Morton, Matthew DeBoer, Patrick McGinnity
East Fremantle -- Chris Masten, Rhys Palmer, James Venturini
East Perth -- Luke Sampey, Tayte Pears, Michael Dawes
Peel -- Matthew Breen
Perth -- David Myers, Justin Russell, Cruize Garlett
Subiaco -- Jarrhan Jacky, Daniel Rich, David Gourdis
West Perth-- Steven Browne, Mat Tedesco

BESTSwan Districts: Ames, Lange, Ellard, Rance, Garlett, Johnson
Perth: Sprigg, Zucconi, Kayler-Thompson, Jones, Armstrong, Bossong

LostDoggy
25-06-2007, 10:04 PM
No South Freo boys MJP????

Sockeye Salmon
26-06-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm taking an annual leave day on July 11 so I can go. Anyone else going?

GVGjr
26-06-2007, 10:16 AM

I'm going on the 6th and likely to be OK for the 11th.

mjp
26-06-2007, 11:37 PM
No South Freo boys MJP????

Which is why they will lose.

South are not flying, but when you have won more than you have lost you would think you might scrape one player into the 25.

mjp
26-06-2007, 11:38 PM

I was going to try and make it on the 6th Jim. Want to see what the Jets boys are up too before I commit.

GVGjr
01-07-2007, 07:21 AM
The WA boys looked very impressive yesterday and they were just to damn quick for Vic Metro. A number of the WA boys in the squad have played some senior footy this year in WA including Masten, Palmer, Breen Rance and Ellard and they also have a handful of players as part of AFL AIS academy including Yarran, Morton, Rich, Naitanui and Notte).
Not sure if the senior experience helps them that much in the championships but it would be a consideration come draft time.

For Vic Metro Kruezer was good. Given his mobility he could play anywhere. Cothcin would be disappointed with his effort and he didn't handle the tag well. Maric really battles on.

bornadog
01-07-2007, 11:33 AM
The WA boys looked very impressive yesterday and they were just to damn quick for Vic Metro. A number of the WA boys in the squad have played some senior footy this year in WA including Masten, Palmer, Breen Rance and Ellard and they also have a handful of players as part of AFL AIS academy including Yarran, Morton, Rich, Naitanui and Notte).
Not sure if the senior experience helps them that much in the championships but it would be a consideration come draft time.

For Vic Metro Kruezer was good. Given his mobility he could play anywhere. Cothcin would be disappointed with his effort and he didn't handle the tag well. Maric really battles on.

Did you see that the average height of the WA team was 187cm with the shortest 180. Todays youth are getting taller and taller.

W W Biscuit
01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Didn't see him in the play that much, but there is a strapping 200cm lad from the Western Jets called Will Sullivan. He kicked a lovely goal from a tight angle in the last quarter. Anyone know more about him?

mjp
02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Umm, yep. I do. What do you want to know? Send me a pm.

southerncross
04-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Best and brightest: the weekend's top 10 (http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=46539)

10:41 AM Wed 4 July, 2007 | Back (javascript:history.go(-1);)
By Matt Burgan
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
News

The 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships are being played from June 23 to July 11. For the duration of the championships, afl.com.au is highlighting the 10 players who stand out in each block of matches. These assessments are made purely on their performance in the carnival, regardless of their drafting prospects and eligibilities in 2007. This block has been assessed after the matches played in Perth and Adelaide.

On Saturday, Western Australia upset the fancied Vic Metro, easily winning by 47 points at Subiaco Oval. And South Australia rubbed further salt into the Victorian wound, when the Croweaters produced a comfortable 50-point victory over Vic Country at AAMI Stadium on Sunday.
1. Rhys Palmer – Western Australia
Born: February 13, 1989, Height: 180cm, Weight: 76kg, Club: East Fremantle
Palmer produced an electrifying first-up performance. His pace and dash, along with his skills and flair – particularly when celebrating one of his five goals – were eye-catching. The midfielder/forward won 34 disposals and took nine marks against Vic Metro.
2. Levi Greenwood – South Australia
Born: February 19, 1989, Height: 181cm, Weight: 91cm, Club: Port Adelaide Magpies
The small running defender was outstanding for South Australia, rebounding out of 50 six times and driving the ball inside 50 on five occasions. He finished with 23 disposals and eight marks against Vic Country.
3. Brad Ebert – South Australia
Born: April 2, 1990, Height: 187cm, Weight: 86cm, Club: Port Adelaide Magpies
Hailing from one of football's greatest families, Ebert – nephew of four-time Magarey Medallist Russell and cousin of Port Adelaide's Brett – was his side's leading ball-winner with 27 disposals. He pumped the ball inside 50 with regularity – 11 times.
4. Nicholas Naitanui – Western Australia
Born: May 4, 1990, Height: 194cm, Weight: 70kg, Club: Swan Districts
Of Fijian origin, although born in Sydney, Naitanui is raw, yet extremely talented. He showed plenty to like about his game, displaying great athleticism and enthusiasm. His ruck contest with potential No.1 draftee Matthew Kreuzer was enthralling.
5. Matthew Kreuzer – Vic Metro
Born: May 13, 1989, Height: 199cm, Weight: 91kg, Club: Northern Knights
Touted by many as this year's No.1 draftee, Kreuzer battled hard in an otherwise disappointing showing from Metro. His duel in the ruck with Naitanui was a beauty. Kreuzer finished with 23 hit outs and 17 touches, and he laid six tackles.
6. Chris Masten – Western Australia
Born: May 2, 1989, Height: 179cm, 78kg, Club: East Fremantle
A highly fancied prospect come November, Masten was one of several key link-men in Western Australia's excellent win over Vic Metro. His clearance work was a feature of his game – he finished with six – and he also claimed 26 touches for the match.
7. Cale Morton – Western Australia
Born: January 18, 1990, Height: 192cm, Weight: 75kg, Club: Claremont
The third Morton destined for the AFL – he is the younger brother of West Coast's Mitch and Hawthorn's Jarryd – Cale was highly consistent across four quarters, playing predominantly on the wing. He finished with 24 disposals and nine marks.
8. David Myers – Western Australia
Born: June 30, 1989, Height: 190cm, Weight: 85kg, Club: Perth
Myers won 28 disposals against Vic Metro and was second only to No. 1 Palmer in terms of possessions for the match. He displayed great drive into attack and rebound from defence and was a key element in Western Australia's emphatic victory.
9. Dan McKenna – Vic Country
Born: June 29, 1989, Height: 194cm, Weight: 82kg, Club: Gippsland Power
Vic Country may have gone down to South Australia by 50 points, but McKenna was one player who stood tall for his side, either down back or up forward. He finished with 25 touches – including a game-high 21 kicks – and seven marks.
10. Matthew Wright – South Australia
Born: December 14, 1989, Height: 176cm, Weight: 75kg, Club: North Adelaide
Wright teamed brilliantly with fellow South Australian small forward Hamish Hartlett (three goals) to jag four majors against Vic Country – he was the game's leading goalkicker. He also tackled well and laid four for the match.

LostDoggy
06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
After watching the game on the TV the other day I got all enthused about heading to MC Labour Park today. Now that I have thawed out here is a summary of some of the players that stood out.

WA.
Rance - Good size, moves well, kicking not bad but not great.
Palmer - Ball magnet in any conditions, managed the tag well and racked up a heap of possessions again.
Masten - got a bit of it but his kicking wasn't great. Tough conditions though.
Myers - Gets a lot of it and is a great prospect. Kicking can be suspect.
Morton - Great height and pace and uses the ball very well. A real prospect.
Natanui - Raw but very talented. (to young)
Sampey - Strong on the lead
Notty - Pencil thin for a 194cm player but could be a good long term prospect

Vic Country
McKenna - Plenty to like about him as a tall defender, holds his marks.
McEvoy - Conditions didn't suit but will make a very good ruckman.
Selwood - another in a long line of good Selwood footballers. Nice size for a midfielder.

SA
Hartlett - Talented small, tried hard (to young)
Ebert - Expected a bit more but he is another top prospect.
McNamara - Battled hard against Kreuzer. Good size

Vic Metro
Kreuzer - Fantastic player.
Grimes - Good sized midfielder type, conditions might have suited him.
Cotchin - Played off half back, did OK
Polkinghorne - Stocky midfielder
Sullivan - Well worth a look at. Very solid ruckman.
Hurley - FB and a decent prospect.

That WA team is very strong.

southerncross
09-07-2007, 08:11 PM
A question for mjp or anyone else. Kreuzer is rated as one of the standouts of the draft this year and he certainly looks to have a great combination of height, pace and ball winning ability but I'm hearing the same type of comparisons about him as I did about Josh Fraser. I know he is 199cm tall but is he really big enough to be a ruckman and/or does he have the skills to slot into a KP?

southerncross
09-07-2007, 11:07 PM
This from AFL.com. I wouldn't mind betting that Clayton is keen on Rioli.

Under-18 players look to make mark

THEY are yet to learn whether they will actually make the AFL, but already they carry some of the most recognisable names in Australian football.
Teenagers Brad Ebert and Cyril Rioli, two of the stars of the current NAB AFL Under-18 Championships who will be up for grabs in this November's NAB AFL Draft, have the talent to suggest they will make the grade.
But for those who have watched their famous forebears in action, the expectations upon them will far exceed those on most juniors with AFL prospects.
Speedy Northern Territory defender Rioli could hardly come from more celebrated lineage, boasting both Richmond great Maurice Rioli and Essendon champion Michael Long as uncles.
"I've had a few people come up and ask me 'Are you going to be as good as them?'" he said of the two Norm Smith medallists.
"I can't really say that, but I'll try my best to be like them, just follow in their footsteps.
"Hopefully I can try to do what they've done in the past."
Mirroring their achievements is asking a lot, but Rioli says his family's history is more of an inspiration than a burden, although he notes it does draw the spotlight.
"It just really gets your attention," he said.
"People say 'He's related to Maurice, you want to watch out for him'."
Rioli is hoping to be picked up by Essendon, but says he is willing to play anywhere to fulfil his AFL dream.
Ebert, the South Australian captain, boasts a similarly impressive pedigree.
The son of former Port Adelaide Magpies player Craig Ebert, he is also a nephew of Russell Ebert, the AFL Hall of Fame member who played 391 games for the Magpies, winning a record four Magarey Medals.
Russell Ebert's son Brett is already carrying on the family's Port Adelaide tradition with the Power, where he was a father-son recruit.
Craig Ebert fell just short of notching the 200 games the Magpies needed to allow the Power to claim his son under the same rule.
"I do want to continue the family history at Port Power," Ebert said.
"But I know that personally I can continue the history playing at any other club as well, so it doesn't really matter."
The impressive midfielder-forward, who is already playing senior football with the Magpies in the SANFL, said having family members to tap for guidance helped him towards his AFL ambition.
"You get great coaching from your parents and your family as well," he said.
"It helps a lot having them there speaking to you and just improving your game."
But, for now, he says he is ignoring the raft of recruiters on the sidelines and just trying to play good team football.
"You know that they're all there, but I really put it out of my head and hopefully most of the boys in the team do too, because it can distract people, I suppose," Ebert said.
"It doesn't distract us, but you see them hanging around the huddles and that, they just want to see what you're like really."

GVGjr
10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
This bit of footage from YouTube might be if interest to some

U18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLvfLXjVJkU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebigfooty%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fshowthread% 2Ephp%3Ft%3D333706%26highlight%3DBellchambers%26page%3D)

Go_Dogs
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Their again seems to be a lot of good Aboriginal players this year again, a few that I would be keen for the club to look at including Wonaemirri who has been pretty good at league level this year for the Legs and a few others. Little Rioli's efforts will surely have him going to the Dons with their first pick, if not earlier.

GVGjr
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Went to the footy today but this saves me from doing a summary.

Report from vflfooty.com

WA WINS AFL UNDER 18 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

AFL Under 18 National Championships Report
Reported by Michael Robinson (VFL Footy News)

Western Australia have won their 1st Under 18 National Championship in 8 years after thrashing South Australia by 77 points at Casey Fields today.

This is their 3rd National Championship after winning in 1985 and 1999. They are also the 1st non Victorian side since 1999 to win the title.

In the battle of the Victorian sides, it was even first half with Metro edging out to a 21 point half time lead. The 3rd Quarter was the decisive one as the Metro kicked 7 goals to nil and have a match winning 62 point win at the last change.

The country boys had a good last quarter but Metro boys still ran out comfortable 48 point winners.

Michael Hurley, Scott Simpson and Nick Cattapan were the best for Metro. Ben McEvoy,Nick Suban and Matt Austin best for the Country boys.

VIC METRO 4.3 7.6 14.8 17.8(110)
VIC COUNTRY 2.3 4.3 4.6 9.8(62)

Goals: VIC METRO: Maric 4, Grimes 3, Grant 3, Simpson, Polkinghorne, Kreuzer, Potts, Arrowsmith, Daniher, Cattapan VIC COUNTRY: Gaylor 3, Kay 2, Selwood, Ford, Normington, Hall

Best Players: VIC METRO: Hurley, Simpson, Cattapan, Farmer, Grimes, Kreuzer, Maric VIC COUNTRY: McEvoy, Suban, Austin, Curnow, Kangars, Normington, Selwood

In the 2nd game, WA dominated the game from the start with a bit of help from some undisipined play from SA and ran out comfortable 77 point winners.

Nicolas Naitanui was dominate all over the ground for the Sandgropers. Steven Browne and Cale Morton were also in WA's best.

Levi Greenwood was SA's best player along with Jared Petrenko and Scott Blesing.

A fantastic performance by the WA team they showed why they are national champions.

WEST AUST 5.1 9.4 16.7 20.11(131)
SOUTH AUST 1.2 3.5 4.6 8.6(54)

Goals: WEST AUST: Palmer 3, Notte 3, Gourdis 3, McGinnity 2, Sampey 2, Morton 2, DeBoer, Yarrin, Browne, Ellard, Jacky SOUTH AUST: Staple 3, Hartlett, Wright, Carr, Jesson, Day

Best Players: WEST AUST: Naitanui, Browne, Morton, Palmer, Pears, Rance, Rich SOUTH AUST: Greenwood, Petrenko, Blesing, Day, Thompson, Stable

FINAL LADDER
WEST AUSTRALIA 3-0 223%
VIC METRO 2-1 114%
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 1-2 75%
VIC COUNTRY 0-3 51%

LARKE MEDALLIST (Best Player for Div 1): Cale Morton (West Aust)

NAB MOST VALUABLE PLAYERS
WEST AUST: Rhys Palmer
VIC METRO: Matthew Kruzer
SOUTH AUST: Levi Greenwood
VIC COUNTRY: Nick Suban

ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM MEMBERS (From Div 1 Teams)
WEST AUST: Chris Masten, Rhys Palmer, Daniel Rich, Patrick McGinnity, David Myers, Alex Rance, Cale Morton, Nicholas Naitanui
VIC METRO: Matthew Kreuzer, Addam Maric, Michael Hurley, Jack Grimes
SOUTH AUST: Brad Ebert
VIC COUNTRY: Nick Suban, Scott Selwood, Ben McEvoy

southerncross
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Shifter's wrap: the NAB AFL U18 elite

7:29 PM Wed 11 July, 2007 | Back (javascript:history.go(-1);)
By Kevin Sheehan,

News

CALE Morton had a fantastic set of three matches for Western Australia and he was duly rewarded with the Michael Larke Medal for the division one's best player in the 2007 NAB AFL under 18 championships.
He polled 19 votes to win the award from teammate Rhys Palmer (18), who also had a super tournament.
Morton played his best match in the final game of the carnival against South Australia at Casey Fields in Melbourne's south-east suburbs on Wednesday, where he won 27 disposals, took nine marks and booted three goals. He also sent the ball inside 50 on five occasions.
Playing through the midfield or pushing forward, Morton's kicking was exceptional, while he was quick across the ground.
He runs all day and has an outstanding endurance base, while his marking ability adds another dimension to his game.

Morton continually won the ball at will and at 192cm, he has the football world at this feet.
Four players received NAB most valuable player awards on the final day – Matt Kreuzer (Vic Metro), Nick Suban (Vic Country), Palmer (Western Australia) and Levi Greenwood (South Australia).
Metro ruckman Kreuzer provided great leadership and strength for his side, while he never stopped trying.

For a player of his size, at 199cm, he continually worked hard and pushed the ball forward, and he moves beautifully across the ground.
Although Metro was unable to add a fourth successive title – it won in 2004-05-06 – Kreuzer's prospects were not tarnished whatsoever and his reputation as one of the leading NAB AFL National Draft contenders remains as strongly as ever.
His consistency over the three matches was a feature of his game.
Suban was an eye-opener for Vic Country, as a left-footed medium-sized defender/midfielder.
He used the ball well from defence, while he has the happy knack of being able to turn out of trouble on his left side.
Suban is a hard-running, bottom-aged player and although he is not eligible for this year's draft, he certainly showed in these championships that he will be one to watch out for in 2008.

Palmer was the revelation of the championships.
He played very well against South Australia in the final match of the carnival, after two brilliant displays against Vic Metro (34 disposals) and Vic Country (36 possessions) respectively.
Palmer simply accumulated possessions at will, while he has great vision and uses his hands extremely well. He is a lovely left-footer and is a goalkicking midfielder who is not afraid to take the opposition on.
Greenwood was a very consistent player across the championships.
He won plenty of contested possessions, while he impressed above his head. Greenwood was very good in South Australia's first match win over Vic Country, while the half-back/midfielder thoroughly deserved his MVP award.

southerncross
11-07-2007, 11:01 PM
At a guess is that we could be looking at some of the following players.
Rioli, Henderson, Notte, Gaertner and Rance but it all depend where we finish.

Morton and Myers would be the types of players that would interest us as well.

southerncross
13-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Shifters Wrap (from AFL.com)

Shifter's Wrap: U18 All-Australians

WELL, another NAB AFL Under-18 Championships is over – and not just any championships. It was the 30th event since all states and territories joined in 1978, and it was the first year we scheduled the championships in four states over a 19-day period as it continues to evolve.

The final task of the championships was to announce the 2007 All-Australian Under-18 team, comprising the individuals who produced for their teams throughout the championships.

It is never an easy task, particularly given the requirement to announce a team almost immediately after the siren sounds, and a number of players can consider themselves a little unfortunate not to be included. They are South Australia's Levi Greenwood and Jared Petrenko, Western Australia's Tayte Pears and Steven Browne, Northern Territory's Peter Rolfe and Queensland's Dayne Zorko and Ben Gibson.

The selectors were myself (chairman), Alan McConnell (AIS/AFL high-performance coach), AFL recruiting managers, Scott Clayton (Western Bulldogs), Blair Hartley (Port Adelaide), John Peake (St Kilda) and Rohan O’Brien (West Coast).

Here's our best shot at the achievers for 2007:
2007 ALL-AUSTRALIAN UNDER-18 TEAM

Defenders : Nick Suban (Vic Country), Michael Hurley (Vic Metro), Alex Rance (Western Australia), Scott Selwood (Vic Country), Tom Collier (Tasmania), David Myers (Western Australia)

Midfielders:Daniel Rich (Western Australia), Rhys Palmer (Western Australia), Cale Morton (Western Australia), Matthew Kreuzer (Vic Metro), Craig Bird (NSW/ACT), Chris Masten (Western Australia)

Forwards: Brad Ebert (South Australia), Ben McEvoy (Vic Country), Jack Grimes (Vic Metro), Addam Maric (Vic Metro), Aaron Cornelius (Tasmania), Cyril Rioli (Northern Territory)

Interchange:Nick Naitanui (Western Australia), Aaron Joseph (Tasmania), Patrick McGinnity (Western Australia), Taylor Walker (NSW/ACT)

Defenders
Nick Suban – Victoria Country
17 years old, 178cm, 78kg, Nth Ballarat/Bacchus Marsh
Left-footed, small defender/midfielder who averaged 23 disposals showing good poise and disposal skills whether in defence or midfield. Ineligible for this year's draft, he made the most of his opportunity and won Victoria Country's Most Valuable Player Award.

Michael Hurley – Victoria Metro
17 years old, 192cm, 88kg, Northern Knights/Macleod
A tall defender/forward, Hurley kicks the ball long and extremely well with either foot. He also competes strongly in the air. Led the championships in rebounds from defensive 50 with 22, and was a good decision-maker with or without the football. He capped off a consistent championships with very good game at full-back against Victoria Country in the final round.

Alex Rance – Western Australia
17 years old, 194cm, 87kg, Swan Districts
Tall defender who showed great dash from defence in his three championship matches. His father, Murray, played for both the Western Bulldogs and West Coast, where he was captain. Already had a taste of senior football in the WAFL and is much improved. He ranked seventh overall in handballs for the championships, helping provide Western Australia with its quick ball movement from defence.

Scott Selwood – Vic Country
17 years old, 184cm, 81kg, Bendigo/Sandhurst
A medium defender/midfielder, Selwood averaged 21 disposals for the championships, which was capped off with 32 disposals against Vic Metro. He is a no-fuss small/medium player either in defence or the midfield. His brothers Troy (Brisbane Lions), Adam (West Coast) and Joel (Geelong) already play in the AFL.

Tom Collier – Tasmania
18 years old, 192cm, 86kg, Lauderdale
Tall defender who averaged 23 disposals and showed he could run the lines throughout the championships, providing rebound from the back half. Much improved player who has already been prominent for Tasmanian Devils in the VFL. He was ranked fourth overall in contested possessions, with 11 per match.

David Myers – Western Australia
18 years old, 190cm, 85kg, Perth
Tall, left-footed defender was fourth overall in disposals, with 84 for the championships – averaging 28 per match – playing predominately across half-back. A dashing player who shows great making ability and leadership, he won the Barassi Medal in the 2006 under-17 International Rules series against Ireland.

Midfield
Daniel Rich – Western Australia
17 years old, 185cm, 77kg, Subiaco
Left-footed medium midfielder who is quick, agile and tough. Penetrating kick and decisive decision-maker, his inside 50s ranked in the top 10 for the championships. Not eligible for this year's draft but clearly an outstanding prospect for 2008.

Rhys Palmer – Western Australia
17 years, 180cm, 76kg, East Fremantle
A left footed, medium-sized midfielder with huge engine and ball-winning ability, he led the disposals for the championships with 97 – averaging 32 per match. He also had 41 effective kicks. Palmer kicked nine goals for the championships, including five in a best-on-ground performance against Vic Metro at Subiaco. He won Western Australia's Most Valuable Player Award.

Cale Morton – Western Australia
17 years old, 192cm, 75kg, Claremont
A tall midfielder who can push forward and become a marking target, Morton is a one-touch player who had 75 disposals for the championships – averaging 25 a match. He also led the marks with 28 – averaging nine a match. Ranked second in effectiveness with his kicks, he topped off an outstanding championship by winning the Larke Medal for the best and fairest division-one player.

Matthew Kreuzer – Victoria Metro
18 years old, 199cm, 91kg, Northern Knight/Bundoora
A ruckman with enormous running capacity and agility, Kreuzer was a most consistent player in the championships, finishing fourth in the hit-outs. He showed great ability at the clearances, ranking in the top 10, and averaged five tackles per match. He won Vic Metro's Most Valuable Player Award, capping off an impressive championship.

Craig Bird – NSW/ACT
18 years old, 178cm, 76kg, Nelson Bay
Small midfielder who was third overall in disposals for the championships, notching up 85 possessions at an average of 28 per match (half of which were handpasses). His clearance work was ranked No.1, with 27 – averaging nine a match. He won 44 contested possessions at an average of almost 15. He won the Harrison Medal – division two's best and fairest award – and captained NSW/ACT to the title. Tied to Sydney Swans under AFL Scholarship Scheme.

Chris Masten – Western Australia
18 years old, 179cm, 78kg, East Fremantle
A small midfielder with enormous running ability and consistently high possession rate, Masten finished fifth in disposals for the championships with 76 – averaging 25 per match. He was third overall in clearances, winning 16. A fine leader, he captained Western Australia to the division-one title and has already played nine senior matches in the WAFL.

Forwards
Brad Ebert – South Australia
17 years old, 187cm, 86kg, Port Adelaide Magpies/Henley
Medium forward/midfielder with good aerial and disposal skills. Ebert also possesses tremendous courage with his attack on the ball. He finished in the top six for disposals in division one, averaging 22 per match. His average of 10 effective kicks per match, ranked him fifth in his division. He has already made his debut at senior level in the SANFL, and showed his potential leadership captaining South Australia as a bottom-aged player.

Ben McEvoy – Victoria Country
18 years old, 199cm, 90kg, Murray Bushrangers/Dederang-Mt Beauty
A tall forward or ruckman possessing agility, endurance and strong hands, McEvoy was ranked second for marks in the championships with 23 – averaging seven per match. He was also fifth for hit-outs with 41 – average 14.

Jack Grimes – Victoria Metro
18 years old, 187cm, 76kg, Northern Knights/Hurstbridge
Medium forward/defender who displays outstanding leadership abilities and versatility. Grimes has clean ball-handling skills and makes good decisions. He is also effective around goals.

Addam Maric – Victoria Metro
17 years old, 179cm, 80kg, Calder Cannons/Greenvale
A small forward/midfielder who kicked eight goals in the championships, including four against Victoria Country in the final game, Maric is a long and accurate kick at goal and displays pin-point accuracy with his snapshots. He provided his team with ball-winning ability through the midfield.

Aaron Cornelius – Tasmania
17 years old, 191cm, 80kg, Glenorchy
Strong marking tall forward who took 18 marks in the championships – averaging six per match. His seven goals included five against Queensland during Tasmania's first match at the SCG. He has a spectacular leap and a vice-like grip, whether on the lead or in a contested marking situation. Not eligible for the 2007 NAB AFL Draft.

Cyril Rioli – Northern Territory
17 years old, 178cm, 74kg, St Marys
A small forward/midfielder with a damaging left foot around goal, he kicked seven goals against Queensland in the final division-two match at Victoria Park. He was ranked sixth overall for effective kicks – 34 – and was first for goal assists, with seven over the championships. Extremely quick and strong with his tackling, his defensive pressure inside 50 is also an attribute.

Interchange
Nick Naitanui – Western Australia
17 years old, 196cm, 88kg, Swan Districts
A ruckman with exceptional athletic ability, including speed and vertical jump, he was ranked first in division-one hit outs – winning 72 at an average of 24 per match. He was also in the top 10 for hardball gets (five per match). He had an outstanding final match against South Australia, adding contested marking to his attributes. His tackling was also rare for a tall player – he had 19 for the championships at an average of six per match. He is not eligible for the 2007 NAB AFL Draft.

Aaron Joseph – Tasmania
18 years old, 178cm, 75kg, Glenorchy
A small midfielder/defender with outstanding endurance and ball-gathering ability, he was ranked second for disposals in the championships, winning 87 in three games at an average of 29. He also had seven score assists, ranking him equal-first in that category. He also showed ability to play a run-with role and work off his opponent.

Pat McGinnity – Western Australia
18 years old, 182cm, 75kg, Claremont
A medium-sized midfielder with good pace and ability at the fall of the ball, McGinnity can play a run-with role and he has the ability to win his own footy. He was very impressive in Western Australia's win over Vic Metro in the first division-one match, which was his debut at under-age level for his state.

Taylor Walker – NSW/ACT
17 years old, 188cm, 81kg, Nth Broken Hill
A medium-sized forward with strong hands, Walker was smart on the lead and accurate in front of goal. He kicked seven goals for the championships and had seven score assists, ranking him equal first in the championships. He is tied to Adelaide under the AFL Scholarship Scheme in NSW.

southerncross
16-07-2007, 11:00 PM
A good write up on the other day about Chris Kangars. 193cm, 85kg and super quick so much so that the US Colleges are trying to entice him over to the States as part of an athletic scholarship. He wants to play footy though. Could be worth a look at.

southerncross
23-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Perhaps mjp can tells us a bit more about Morris. I know the Jets were beaten on the weekend but this does mention a couple of local lads.

WESTERN Jets coach Mark Neeld expects another nail-biter when his third-ranked Western Jets face the Northern Knights at Williamstown this morning.

"We are expecting it to be a close game like we played in Round 2 (at Preston) when we won by seven points," Neeld said.

"We are expecting there to be a lot of contested footy in this game.

"In the conditions that we have had this week in terms of the rain, and normally down there it is pretty windy, it lends itself to some congested footy.

"Having a look at the two sides, and the way that we play, I would also be predicting a fair bit of run."

The Jets will be without Callan Ward, who hurt his knee in the under-18 championships.

"He has bursitis on the knee," Neeld said.

"It is nothing structural, nothing major. He may miss the following week, we are not sure.

"Everybody else that we are missing is really long-term . . . that won't be available for the rest of the year."

Neeld said the Jets were more concerned about developing players than their third place on the ladder.

He said that Steven Morris, son of former Richmond premiership half-back Kevin, was having an outstanding season.

"He had been injured for the best part of two years," Neeld said.

"He suffered from shin splints for years which hindered his progress. This year, he has played every game bar one.

"He has been terrific, he is one of the leaders of the club.

"He is extremely fit, dedicated.

"Now that his aerobic base has increased we put him in the midfield for a lot longer than we were able to at the start of the year.

"He has a good set of hands but he is the size of a player that needs to play in the midfield."

mjp
24-07-2007, 07:51 AM
What do you want to know?

Morris is playing TAC Cup this year under the 19year old rule - and is eligible based on two factors:
- Considered 'draftable' by footy Vic.
- Missed significant parts of his eligible seasons due to injury.

That said, he turns 19 on December 31st, so he is the youngest overage player who will ever play TAC Cup.

Steven's primary strengths are his defensive pressure skills, attack on the ball and one-one contested marking. He played very well in the North vs South Vic u23 game earlier this year, kicking a couple of goals and being named in the best players, a game that showed his style of footy will work effectively against bigger bodies.

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Eligible to go to Richmond under father/son but was overlooked.

southerncross
24-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I reckon this young player is a chance to be selected by us.

A team in big league kick-starts hope on troubled Tiwi islands

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/10/12/austinwonaeamirri_wideweb__470x309,0.jpgPotential star … the Tiwi Bombers player Austin Wonaeamirri, who has freakish on-field agility, has gained a place at the AFL draft screening session.
Photo: Glenn Campbell

Lindsay Murdoch in Darwin
October 13, 2006

TEENAGERS are no longer talking about killing themselves on the Tiwi islands, which have the nation's highest suicide rate.
"The change has been amazing. Virtually overnight, the kids are walking tall and proud with smiles on their faces," says Brian Clancy, who has been associated with the islands for 20 years.
Not since a Japanese bomber crash-landed on the islands 80 kilometres north of Darwin in World War II has there been so much excitement on the Melville and Bathurst islands, which are known as the Tiwi islands.
At 2.30pm tomorrow Tiwi's Australian rules football team - the Tiwi Bombers - will run on to an oval in Darwin for their first match in the Northern Territory Football League.
The match is believed to be the first by an all-Aboriginal side in a major competition.
"The boys are ready to make history. They have been training virtually non-stop for four months," said the coach, Greg Orsto.
The islands, where football is an obsession, have produced seven AFL players, including Michael Long and Dean Rioli of Essendon, and Maurice Rioli, of Richmond. Scores of others have played at senior levels. About 900 of the 2600 people who live on the islands play football, which is said to be the country's highest participation rate.
Austin Wonaeamirri, 18, a back flanker described as a potential star because of his freakish agility, said players were very proud to be named in the first Tiwi Bombers side to play against St Mary's, the Darwin club that has recruited Tiwi islanders for decades.
But Wonaeamirri will miss the first match of a seven-week trial in the competition because he will be attending an AFL draft screening session.
Long, who won the Norm Smith medal and played in two AFL premierships, said football was not just a sport on the islands, but the "key ingredient of living in the communities". "Kids pick up a footy as soon as they can walk and never really put it down. It helps keep them focused away from the social problems. That's why having a Tiwi side in the NTFL is so important."
The manager of the Tiwi Islands league, Bill Toy, said some teenagers had given up smoking cannabis because they wanted to play for the Tiwi Bombers.
Every Saturday about 160 children, teenagers and adults play football on a local oval, many of them barefoot.
Officials of the NTFL-AFL, which administers football in northern Australia, said promoting the game on the islands gave teenagers a chance of overcoming social problems such as drug and alcohol abuse.
Tiwi islanders have an average life expectancy of only 48 years. They also have the country's highest rate of kidney disease. "The kids have new hope," Toy said.
The football season in the Top End is the reverse of the AFL, with the first round played in October.
The Tiwi league grand final, usually played in late March, has become one of the top tourist attractions in the Territory.
Dean Rioli, who played 100 games with Essendon, will play in the first match. Essendon sponsors the team, expected to play the full 21 rounds next year.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Interesting article - thanks a lot of posting that. I've been following Austin a bit this year, now a Norwood boy who seemed a very similar type to a few selections that we made last year. His form has been pretty decent too, with a BOG to boot early in the season. I'd be keen on him.

LostDoggy
26-07-2007, 07:11 PM
brad ebert also looks a likely candidate to follow in his family footsteps and go in the top ten in this years national draft, midfielder who wins alot of the ball

GVGjr
26-07-2007, 10:05 PM
brad ebert also looks a likely candidate to follow in his family footsteps and go in the top ten in this years national draft, midfielder who wins alot of the ball

Quality player. I wonder if he has the type of pace that Clayton normally likes. Perhaps a slightly slower version of Griffen.

Bulldog Revolution
27-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Quality player. I wonder if he has the type of pace that Clayton normally likes. Perhaps a slightly slower version of Griffen.

Given the form we are currently in we would seem to be picking at around the 7-10 mark again. Do you think he would be the inside midfielder we would be looking to with that pick?

southerncross
28-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Worth a read

Normington's new goal
28 July 2007 Herald Sun
Gareth Trickey

A MISSED shot on goal after the siren proved a minor setback for Murray Bushranger Ryan Normington.

Making his mark: AFL draft Ryan Normington takes a safe mark playing for Vic Country against Vic Metro this month. Picture: Colleen Petch

The 17-year-old had the opportunity to win last year's under-17 international rules match against Ireland, but a wayward kick turned the dream moment into a brief nightmare."At first I felt like I had let the team down, but you think about it a little more and you realise it's the little things throughout the game that can let the team down more than a kick after the siren," Normington said.

"Looking back on it now it wasn't that big of a deal, but at the time I didn't feel that flash.

"We had game two a week later so I had to get over it pretty quickly and get myself up for the next game."

Normington took last year's setback in his stride and erased all memories of the fateful kick with an impressive TAC Cup debut.

The midfielder averaged 23 possessions a game for the Murray Bushrangers last year.

His consistent form rolled into this season where Normington has collected more than 100 possession in eight games.

His finesse in the midfield caught the eye of state selectors and earned him a spot in this year's Victoria Country team at the under-18 national championships.

"I played fairly average in the forward line in the first two games (with Victoria Country) but in the final game, against (Victoria) Metro, I played pretty well," Normington said.

"I found I settled more in the midfield in the third game. I seemed to get more of the ball and was freed up a little bit."

Buoyed by his performance in the final game of the championships, Normington returned to the Bushranger camp with an emphatic 31 possessions against the Geelong Falcons last week.

Normington is now readying himself for a possible AFL draft place this year.

Murray Bushrangers play Northern Knights at Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta today.

southerncross
28-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Another one worth a read

Knights ready for challenge
28 July 2007 Herald Sun
Geoff Poulter

THE revitalised Northern Knights face another searching test against the Murray Bushrangers in the fourth-versus-sixth clash at Wangaratta this afternoon.

The Knights crushed third-ranked Western Jets at Burbank Oval, Williamstown by 55 points last round in their best performance of what has been an inconsistent season. "It is a big game for us," Northern coach Paul Satterley said.

"Murray have won four in a row and they have won them very convincingly.

"They won one of them by 103 points and last week they beat Geelong (by 83 points).

"Last week there were some really good signs for us and we probably had our best win for the season.

"It was a really good performance but we need to be able to back that up.

"That's the biggest thing for us. Just to be able to go back to back with the same effort and intensity and that's our focus for tomorrow."

Satterley said that the Knights had had some good "ins" last week against the Jets with Matthew Kreuzer, Jack Grimes and Brett Meredith among those good players returning to bolster the ranks from recent representative duties.

"These guys make a big difference to our side, there's no doubt," Satterley said.

"They came in and it affected us; everyone really contributed."

Grimes, the Knights' captain, had 34 possessions against the Jets in the Round 13 win.

Michael Hurley and Tim Bongetti both kicked four goals against the Jets, capitalising on Northern's efficient use of the ball through the midfield.

Satterley said the team had prepared thoroughly for the three-hour bus trip to play on one of the Bushrangers' five regular grounds.

"We have really addressed our preparation and how we go about it," Satterley said.

"We have spoken about how we want to prepare for it (including taking) plenty of fluids . . .

"Even though we are above them on the ladder, we are approaching it as sort of the hunters coming into the game.

"(That is) given that they have won four in a row and it is on their home ground.

"They also beat us in Round 3 at our ground.

"We see it as we are the underdogs going into the game, so we are approaching it that way."

The Knights are fourth on the TAC Cup ladder with eight wins at this crucial stage of the season.

They are a game ahead of the Bushrangers, who are sixth behind the Geelong Falcons on percentage.

Murray's Ben McEvoy kicked four goals and Ryan Normington had 31 touches in their big victory against the Falcons last round.

The top teams are favoured to win again in this week's Round 14.

Ladder leader Gippsland Power should be too strong against eighth-ranked North Ballarat in the clash at Casey Fields today and the second-placed Calder Cannons are favoured to get the points against the Eastern Ranges (seventh) at Box Hill City Oval tomorrow.

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 12:42 AM
I really hope we draft a couple of guys with a bit of grunt this year. I know we need a ruckman and a tall forward but I just want us to select players witha physical presence.
That Rhys Palmer from WA looked like the type of midfielder we need. He wasn't super quick but he was quick enough and used the ball well. at 17 or 18 he already looked strong enough to walk into a senior side like ours.

Bulldog Revolution
29-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I really hope we draft a couple of guys with a bit of grunt this year. I know we need a ruckman and a tall forward but I just want us to select players witha physical presence.
That Rhys Palmer from WA looked like the type of midfielder we need. He wasn't super quick but he was quick enough and used the ball well. at 17 or 18 he already looked strong enough to walk into a senior side like ours.

Yep - you are preaching to the converted

If we select another Jay Solomon - 55kg potential apprentice jockey I dont think it will be well received by the members

southerncross
30-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Some local results from the weekend

TAC CUP Round 14

DANDENONG 3.2 10.3 12.7 15.11 (101)
OAKLEIGH 3.2 6.5 9.10 10.13 (73)

Goals: Dandenong: Boumann 4 Simpson 4 Tohiariki 3 Harley 2 Clark Dal Lago. Oakleigh: Scipione 5 Van Unen Edwards Jellis O'Farrell Latsas.
Best: Dandenong: Simpson Harley Westcott Bastinac Clark Boyle. Oakleigh: Otten Gotch Scipione Inglis O'Farrell Coyle.
Reports: Nil.
At Warrawee Park.

GEELONG 5.3 12.4 15.8 20.12 (132)
BENDIGO 6.1 9.4 13.8 14.12 (96)

Goals: Geelong: Moreland 5 Jull 3 Steven 3 Hughes 2 Scott 2 Staveniuter 2 Ledin Donohue Hickleton.
Bendigo: Tarrant 3 Holmes 2 Healey 2 Thoolan Martin Coghlan Millard Featherstone Taylor Stroobants.
Best: Geelong: Staveniuter Jull Steven Ledin Kangars Moreland. Bendigo: Ford Featherstone Holmes Stroobants Millard Selwood.
Reports: T Hornsey (Geelong) for charging T Petrie (Bendigo) in the third quarter.
Skilled Stadium.

GIPPSLAND 5.5 12.8 16.11 23.14 (152)
NORTH BALLARAT 3.3 5.4 9.6 15.7 (97)

Goals: Gippsland: Webber 4 Heyne 3 Blair 2 Connelly 2 Michaelides 2 Blaser 2 Stockdale 2 Endres 2 Oldmeadow Kelly Kay Crosby.
North Ballarat: Austin 6 Weadon 2 Whiting 2 Peters Linke Tyler Hinkley Roughead.
Best: Gippsland: Blaser Kay Granger Connelly Woodhead Webber.
North Ballarat: Austin Whiting Caldow Cheney Peters Delahunty.
Casey Fields.

MURRAY 2.5 9.8 9.10 14.13 (97)
NORTHERN KNIGHTS 1.2 2.4 5.8 7.10 (52)

Goals: Murray: Rockliff 3 Terlich 2 Thompson Hebbard Walker Hockey Normington Martiniello Deledio Warnett Garland.
Northern Knights: Grimes 2 Merkel 2 Bongetti Kreuzer Kelly.
Best: Murray: Klemke Warnett Boyle Martiniello Rockliff Walker.
Northern Knights: Bongetti Hurley Totino Kreuzer Brunelli Grimes.
Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta.

WESTERN JETS 7.3 9.7 16.11 22.14 (146)
SANDRINGHAM 1.2 9.5 12.9 13.17 (95)

Goals: Western Jets: McKerracher 6 Lyons 3 Black 3 Morris 3 Schroder 2 Giles Heffernan Lunardi Kennedy Banner.
Sandringham Dragons: Shakaib 4 Allan 2 Gilder 2 Cook 2 Burnett Robertson Hine.
Best: Western Jets: Banner McKerracher Morris Kennedy Lunardi Lyons.
Sandringham Dragons: Shakaib Shaw Calder Gilder Allan Hine.
Trevor Barker Beach Oval.

CALDER CANNONS 5.3 10.5 15.9 19.13 (127)
EASTERN RANGES 2.2 4.3 7.6 10.8 (68)

Goals: Calder Cannons: Daniher 4 Arrowsmith 3 Farmer 2 Richmond 2 German Dove Mendico Short Tsardakis Kite May Putt.
Eastern Ranges: White 3 Dell Aquilla 2 Sloane 2 La Marca Wright Noy.
Best: Calder Cannons: Robertson Daniher Laidler Buckley Farmer Arrowsmith.
Eastern Ranges: Walker McDonald Sloane Harding Jones Cunningham.
Coburg City Oval.

southerncross
04-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Versatile Banner top of Jets' class (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22185728%255E19897,00.html)

WESTERN Jets defender Mitchell Banner knows he has big shoes to fill.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5595734,00.jpg
Improved: Mitchell Banner
As a recipient of the prestigious Mike Fitzpatrick AFL Scholarship, Banner stands alongside former scholars Joel Selwood, Paddy Ryder, Jimmy Bartel, Xavier Clarke and Lance Franklin.
But Banner, who has another year in the TAC Cup, is in no rush to match the feats of his predecessors.
"I feel pretty good that they put me in the same category as those sorts of players," he said.
"I'm happy to have that extra year to develop a bit more and work on the things that I've got to work on to make myself a better footy player."
Banner, 17, joined the Jets in 2006 as an under-16 player. He played two games with the club last season and was selected to represent Victoria Metro in the under-16 national championships.
This year he has averaged 27 possessions a game, thanks to coach Mark Neeld's decision to move him from the centre to the back pocket.
The change of scenery has allowed the 185cm defender to evolve into a versatile player.
"I'm thankful that Mark has put me in a different role this year and forced me to develop my footy," Banner said.
"One of the things I've been trying to work on is getting a bit quicker."
Balancing a fledgling football career with Year 11 has given him a new perspective.
"It helps that the team is a good bunch of blokes and we've been connecting well throughout the season," Banner said.
"A lot of the top-age players, and more so the captains, help if you aren't having the best game. They pull you through."

LostDoggy
13-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Is there any chance that we would be in a position to select either Lachlan Henderson or Ben McEvoy with our first selection in the draft?
Henderson is 196cm forward who can have a spell in the ruck and McEvoy is a 199cm ruckman to can take a grab up forward. Both of these player would fit our needs.
The other player who interest me is Rhys Palmer because he already has had a season of senior football and was sensational in the championship games. Palmer is a tough 180cm goal kicking midfielder.
Tom Collier is 192cm and versatile and might be one of those famous Clayton targets.
Anyone else have a few likely names?

LostDoggy
15-08-2007, 09:10 PM
A few people on BF think we should look at McEvoy or Henderson with the first pick.

mjp
16-08-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5595734,00.jpg[/IMG]
The change of scenery has allowed the 185cm defender to evolve into a versatile player.
"I'm thankful that Mark has put me in a different role this year and forced me to develop my footy," Banner said.

Mitchell is fantastic, but:
1/.He is not 185cm tall
2/.He is not eligible for the 2007 draft.

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 09:38 PM
A few people on BF think we should look at McEvoy or Henderson with the first pick.

Anyone else have a view on this? The general consensus I have been hearing is that we should be looking at Ebert, McEvoy, Palmer and Henderson possibly in that order.
Given we have moved up a couple of positions in the draft order at the moment are these players realistic options?

southerncross
08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Finals bonus for Morris (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22381693%255E19897,00.html)

WESTERN Jets forward Steven Morris is enjoying his football again after two frustrating seasons battling injury.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5646244,00.jpg
Courageous: Steven Morris is relishing having a second chance to play TAC Cup football with with the Western Jets after two injury-interrupted seasons. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Morris, the son of Richmond premiership player Kevin, received a lifeline from the Jets this year as an under-19 player. And a full season in the TAC Cup has allowed the 18-year-old to showcase his skills.
"All I've ever really wanted to do was to play league footy and I honestly thought my opportunity was gone after last year," Morris said yesterday. "To get a second chance has been great."
His father, a tough ruck-rover, played 110 games with the Tigers from 1971-76 and was a member of the 1973-74 premiership teams. He also played for Collingwood from 1978-81.
Morris, who is known for his courage in and around the packs, said his father was instrumental in his career. "From what I've heard, Dad used to be pretty fearless and tough," Morris said.
"He gives me sound advice and it's good to have that father figure who knows what he is talking about."
The Jets finished fifth at the end of the season and play eighth-placed North Ballarat Rebels today in the first elimination final at Princes Park.
Morris said he was relieved to be playing finals football after two years in the wilderness.
"Playing such a high level of football during September is fairly exciting," he said
"I haven't felt like this coming into a game before. I'm fairly excited and also nervous about the game."

GVGjr
08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Cal Ward out on a football clinic today but the disappointing Western Jets were beaten. Ward kicked 6 goals and was the standout player. The Jets went to sleep in the 2nd and 3rd quarters after a very impressive first quarter.

The Eastern Ranges beat the Geelong Falcons and it was good to have another look at Henderson and Cordy.

Fantastic day to watch a bit of footy and I will backup again for another look tomorrow.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Cal Ward out on a football clinic today but the disappointing Western Jets were beaten. Ward kicked 6 goals and was the standout player. The Jets went to sleep in the 2nd and 3rd quarters after a very impressive first quarter.

The Eastern Ranges beat the Geelong Falcons and it was good to have another look at Henderson and Cordy.

Fantastic day to watch a bit of footy and I will backup again for another look tomorrow.
Is Cordy father/son material - Or is this all pipe dream stuff?

mjp
09-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Is Cordy father/son material - Or is this all pipe dream stuff?

Yes - I would think a certain f/s selection.

mjp
09-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Cal Ward out on a football clinic today but the disappointing Western Jets were beaten. Ward kicked 6 goals and was the standout player.

Didn't he though?

Cal is going to be selected very, very high.

GVGjr
09-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Didn't he though?

Cal is going to be selected very, very high.

Yes he was very impressive. His opponent worked hard as well but Ward clearly had his measure.

The Jets were really switched on in the first quarter but went to sleep in the 2nd and 3rd which was very frustrating.

GVGjr
09-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes - I would think a certain f/s selection.

It will be interesting to see if he is willing to commit to the F/S process.

GVGjr
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Vezspremi was on fire today. Spent a bit of time on the bench as well.

2007 TAC Cup

Gippsland Power 3.5 6.5 8.9 10.13 (73)
Northern Knights 3.2 7.11 14.16 18.18 (126)

GOALS:
Gippsland Power: Granger 2 Michaelides 2 McKenna 2 Webber Heyne Bristow Endres
Northern Knights: Veszpremi 8 Totino 3 Meredith 2 Power Cotchin Hood Bongetti Thomas

BEST:
Gippsland Power: Endres Blair Payne Hall Michaelides Oldmeadow
Northern Knights: Cotchin Veszpremi Totino Meredith Brunelli Stanton

Go_Dogs
09-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Wonaeamirri again made the bests for the 'Legs this weekend.

LostDog
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Not Much has been mentioned about the Queensland players i guess i am particularly biased but my cousin was spoken about quite highly in the 1st week a big key position foward with an awkward kick by the name of Darrin Stewart just wondering if anyone here took any notice of him when they played at skilled

GVGjr
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Did anyone get to todays games? McEvoy was very quiet in the first half at FF before moving into the ruck and doing a good job. He certainly got the back into the game and was probably the main reason why the Bushrangers won.

GVGjr
23-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Yesterday's results. The Cannons just keep grinding out good teams year after year. The Knights were unlucky with a couple of injuries.

The Bushrangers had a good win as well. McEvoy again took some good grabs up forward. Kicked a long goal from 50 and then missed a couple of other very gettable goals.

2007 TAC Cup

Northern Knights 3.3 9.7 12.7 15.7 (97)
Calder Cannons 2.7 6.8 12.11 16.15 (111)

GOALS:
Northern Knights: Bongetti 4 Veszpremi 3 Hurley 2 Meredith 2 Cachia Power Kreuzer Thomas
Calder Cannons: McKernan 3 May 3 Farmer 2 Melksam 2 Putt 2 Joyce Daniher Tsardakis Kite

BEST:
Northern Knights: Meredith Kreuzer Stanton Hood Hurley Hanchette
Calder Cannons: German Trengove Polkinghorne Dulic May Melksam

Murray Bushrangers 2.6 4.8 6.11 10.13 (73)
North Ballarat Rebels 0.5 1.7 3.7 4.9 (33)

GOALS:
Murray Bushrangers: Hockey 3 McIntyre 2 McEvoy 2 Walker Rockliff Warnett
North Ballarat Rebels: Caldow Radley Austin Delahunty

BEST:
Murray Bushrangers: Hockey Boyle McEvoy Hebbard Barolli Martiniello
North Ballarat Rebels: Cheney Peters Hinkley Austin Delahunty Caldow

Go_Dogs
23-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Having seen a bit of U/18's this year GVG, who do you like most for us with pick 5?

GVGjr
23-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Having seen a bit of U/18's this year GVG, who do you like most for us with pick 5?

Need to wait until the end of the trade week to see if we still have the/that pick but at the moment Ebert and McEvoy would be right up there. There is also a couple of WA guys that might come into consideration.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok thanks, I'd be pretty happy if we added another young SA bred midfielder.

southerncross
29-09-2007, 10:10 AM
The Calder Cannons are playing the Murray Bushrangers soon on Fox and there will be a few players wirth watching.
Dean Putt for the Cannons has been in great form for the last month and is a 202cm forward ruckman. Ben McEvoy for the Bushrangers is a 199cm forward ruckman.
Trengove for the Cannons cannot be drafted this year but is one of the better players going around at the moment.

Anyone else watching this?

The Coon Dog
29-09-2007, 10:22 AM
The Calder Cannons are playing the Murray Bushrangers soon on Fox and there will be a few players wirth watching.
Dean Putt for the Cannons has been in great form for the last month and is a 202cm forward ruckman. Ben McEvoy for the Bushrangers is a 199cm forward ruckman.
Trengove for the Cannons cannot be drafted this year but is one of the better players going around at the moment.

Anyone else watching this?

I'm about to take my son out for his weekly hit of golf so I'm taping it. Will watch when i get home.

LostDoggy
30-09-2007, 10:14 PM
No reports on the TAC final yet? How did McEvoy go?

GVGjr
30-09-2007, 10:41 PM
No reports on the TAC final yet? How did McEvoy go?

Very quiet.

The Cannons controlled the game very well.

LostDog
01-10-2007, 10:34 PM
****POSSIBLE SMOKEY****

Ok I have mentioned this a few times, I am trying not to be biased but my cousin could definatley be a late draft pick or even a rookie selection as a huge smokey
He has both a Basketball and Athletics background and has awesome hands.
Would have made the all Australian Team for the U'18 has he kicked straight in the last game of the championships would have ended up with 9 against NSW/ACT
He was rated 7th in the Top 10 Performers of the 1st Week.

Here is the link
http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=45978

7 – Darin Stewart – Queensland – 191cm, 87kg
Stewart's performance against Tasmania could not be questioned after bagging five goals, which included an excellent goal tucked on a difficult angle in the pocket. His unusual kicking style certainly stands out and has raised some the eyebrows of recruiters.

For you guys that wanna seey video footage here is another link
http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/38691/0/?07u18sp1_1_=&

Kevin Sheehan and Andy Maher also discuss his potential he is mentioned at 9:30 min mark

LostDog
01-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I forgot to Mention he is a KPF
Both Lynchy and Voss have had many chats with him to join there Talent Management Company

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/image/?image_id=10651

mjp
01-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Am I allowed to ask what thread you forgot to mention it on?

Enthusiasm is good, but...

LostDog
01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Am I allowed to ask what thread you forgot to mention it on?

Enthusiasm is good, but...

Did you even look at them, even though he is my cousin
He is genuine TALENT, Queensland seems to be our Smokey Area

O'Shea
M.West

the fact that he also played with Grant Birchall (Hawthorn) at Devonport in the Northern Tasmanian Football League and was rated a better prospect than him before he moved to Queensland as a Ruck/KPF

mjp
02-10-2007, 08:27 AM
For goodness sake.

I was sick of reading the same post on every thread on the board...you want to pump up your cousins tyres? Great - I respect that. But do it once and move on.

I dont comment on players I haven't seen. I haven't seen him play. If you are saying he is like Michael West, then I hope we dont pick him. I am sick of speculative picks being used on tall players who aren't any good - use the speculative picks on over-achievers who have always found a way to get the job done, not on tall kids who have dubious attack on the ball and more dubious skills (and that is not a reference to your family members by the way, more a generalisation).

As for being rated a better prospect than Birchall - great. Fine. By WHO?

Sockeye Salmon
02-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Darrin Stewart is the worst kick of a football I have ever seen

Weaver is one of the most full-on underage footy watchers on BF and one of the few who's opinion I respect (even if I don't always agree with it).

Not a big wrap for your cousin. Brace yourself, if you can't kick, you don't get picked. Hey, I did a rhyme! Nearly, anyway.

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Some of the results from the Draft Camp.

20-metre sprints
David Gourdis – Subiaco (2.83)
Clayton Hinkley – North Ballarat Rebels (2.88)
Steven Gaertner – Dandenong Stingrays (2.88)

Agility
Aaron Joseph – Tassie Mariners (7.91)
Lachlan Hill – Oakleigh Chargers (8.05)
Clayton Hinkley – Dandenong Stingrays (8.07)

6 x 30m repeat sprints
Chris Kangars – Geelong Falcons (23.59)
Patrick Dangerfield – Geelong Falcons (23.96)
Cyril Rioli – Northern Territory Thunder (24.01)

Shuttle run (aka beep test)
Cale Morton – Claremont (15.2 – Level 15 Shuttle 2)
Joel Smouha – Mt Gravatt (15.1)
Brendan Whitecross – Zillmere (14.10)
Clayton Hinkley – North Ballarat Rebels (14.9)
Rhys Palmer – East Fremantle (14.8)
Scott Selwood – Bendigo Pioneers (14.7)

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 06:53 AM
I think Ebert will be one of the boys we will consider with our first selection

Ebert has family reputation to uphold

4:10 PM Thu 4 October, 2007 | Back

By Matt Burgan

News

EVERY year, in the new wave of AFL prospects, familiar football names are sprinkled in the mix.

Just look at selections No. 12 (Andrejs Everitt), 13 (James Frawley) and 14 (Jack Riewoldt) in last year's NAB AFL Draft as examples of immediately recognisable names.

Again at this year's NAB AFL Draft Camp, there are several notable family names and one of them is among the biggest in Australian Football – particularly in South Australia – Ebert.

Brad Ebert is the latest hot prospect from an immensely strong football family.

He is the son of former Port Adelaide Magpie Craig and nephew of Russell (who many believe is the greatest footballer to hail from South Australia). Brad's cousin Brett also had his finest year with Port Adelaide this season.

So does South Australia's best 2007 draft prospect – he is regarded as a first-round selection – feel the expectation as his state's leading contender, along with the pressure of following in the footsteps of family members?

"In a way I feel a little bit of pressure, but it's not too bad and I don't mind it. It's nothing like what Bryce Gibbs had last year, so I find it OK," Ebert told afl.com.au at NAB AFL Draft Camp this week.

"You don't really listen to what some people say, but that doesn't happen to often.

"Hopefully I can get drafted this year and that all goes ahead then I can follow on with the [family] name."

Ebert, who likes Port Adelaide but has followed Essendon in his youth, believes his family has played a pivotal part in his football development.

"You can always go to them if you need any help – with my Dad [Craig], Russ or Brett – we can talk about anything and get to know what it's like at an AFL club," Ebert said.

"I have a fair bit of contact with Brett and I'll catch up with him a fair bit and he'll give me a call or I'll give him a call every now and then.

"Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to play football and seeing what you're family has done, it's great to be following in their footsteps and they've been really helpful."

Ebert has had a fine 2007 season. Along with being an AIS/AFL Academy member, he represented South Australia at the NAB AFL Under-18 championships and was rewarded with All-Australian honours for his performances in that carnival.

But the midfielder was humble in assessing his first-class year.

"I think it's been reasonable. I've had a fairly good year all-round.

“I started off playing reserves with the Magpies and I only played one game there and then I went into the league and then to the state [level] and then back to league, so it was great," Ebert said.

"My leadership skills and the experience of playing against men has really helped this year.

“Having the chance to play against league footballers has been really good, like Darryl Wakelin – it's been great to play with and against AFL players."

mjp
05-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Some of the results from the Draft Camp.

20-metre sprints
David Gourdis – Subiaco (2.83)

Now that is seriously moving. I liked Gourdis, and thought he was quick, but that is elite speed.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2007, 08:42 AM
20-metre sprints[/B]
Steven Gaertner – Dandenong Stingrays (2.88)

Gaertner is 6" 4 right - similar player to Everitt?

Shuttle run (aka beep test)
Cale Morton – Claremont (15.2 – Level 15 Shuttle 2)
Joel Smouha – Mt Gravatt (15.1)
Brendan Whitecross – Zillmere (14.10)
Clayton Hinkley – North Ballarat Rebels (14.9)
Rhys Palmer – East Fremantle (14.8)
Scott Selwood – Bendigo Pioneers (14.7)

Are all of these guys midfielders? There isn't a rangy 6" 3 ruck rover that Clayton would love?

mjp
05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Rangy, 6" 3 rr? Morton.

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Rangy, 6" 3 rr? Morton.

Morton is 192cm and I think will grow a bit more. Plays as a defender but has been used in the midfield. He could develop into a Luke McPharlin type and capable of switching between flank or KP roles.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Cheers mjp and GVGjr,

So Morton sounds like the guy that Clayton would take at pick #1 if it was his call - thats a good beep score for someone of that height

But we have no shot at getting him at #5, and West Coast know that Richmond want him

Would Masten be a possibility at 5?

Any chance Ward will be available with our second pick? I am hoping it wont be traded unless it is to receive Hudson and their 2nd or 3rd pick

southerncross
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure how accurate this is but this is Emma Quayle's look at the highly rated players.

Emma Quayle's top picks

1. Matthew Kreuzer Northern Knights, 18, 199 centimetres, 94 kilograms
2. Trent Cotchin Northern Knights/PEGS, 17, 184cm, 81kg
3. Cale Morton Claremont, 17, 192cm, 79kg
4. Lachie Henderson Geelong Falcons, 17, 196cm, 90kg
5. Jarrad Grant Dandenong Stingrays, 18, 191cm, 77kg
6. Ben McEvoy Murray Bushrangers, 18, 200cm, 90kg
7. Chris Masten East Fremantle, 18, 179cm, 78kg
8. Rhys Palmer East Fremantle, 18, 180cm, 76kg
9. David Myers Perth, 18, 190cm, 85kg
10. Brad Ebert Port Adelaide Magpies, 17, 187cm, 86kg
11. Cyril Rioli St Mary's, Darwin/ Scotch College, 18, 178cm, 74kg

Sockeye Salmon
07-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure how accurate this is but this is Emma Quayle's look at the highly rated players.

Emma Quayle's top picks

1. Matthew Kreuzer Northern Knights, 18, 199 centimetres, 94 kilograms
2. Trent Cotchin Northern Knights/PEGS, 17, 184cm, 81kg
3. Cale Morton Claremont, 17, 192cm, 79kg
4. Lachie Henderson Geelong Falcons, 17, 196cm, 90kg
5. Jarrad Grant Dandenong Stingrays, 18, 191cm, 77kg
6. Ben McEvoy Murray Bushrangers, 18, 200cm, 90kg
7. Chris Masten East Fremantle, 18, 179cm, 78kg
8. Rhys Palmer East Fremantle, 18, 180cm, 76kg
9. David Myers Perth, 18, 190cm, 85kg
10. Brad Ebert Port Adelaide Magpies, 17, 187cm, 86kg
11. Cyril Rioli St Mary's, Darwin/ Scotch College, 18, 178cm, 74kg

Interestingly no-one on BF rates Grant (except Mike who took him for us in the phantom draft with about pick 38!) but now Quayle and yesterday in the HS have both got him in their top ten. Neither had Rance.

GVGjr
07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Interestingly no-one on BF rates Grant (except Mike who took him for us in the phantom draft with about pick 38!) but now Quayle and yesterday in the HS have both got him in their top ten. Neither had Rance.

FWIW, I have him as a late 1st round selection with potentially sliding into the early 2nd round.
My guess why he has sneaked under the radar a bit is that he is neither a KP or a mid and generally speaking most supporters can quickly identify that need. The guys from 184cm to 190cm regardless of their ability often get missed by supporters.
This will apply to Cal Ward as well. I ventured onto another site last night that has him as a 3rd round selection which is way off.

Go_Dogs
07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Would Gourdis and Gaertner be around the top 10 mark too? The depth of this years draft is seeming quite good over the first 30 odd selections. I'm hoping we don't have to part with a second round selection.

mjp
07-10-2007, 03:21 PM

You probably remember SS, but there were two players in particular I was shocked were still available at 38 in the phantom draft - Grant was one, the tall running wingman from Gippsland (Jackson Hall I think though I am having a memory explosion) was the other.

southerncross
11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
This might be interesting to anyone of has missed it. It has a couple more tests than the previous one posted.

Agility
1. Aaron Joseph 7.91 sec
2. Lachlan Hill 8.05 sec
3. Clayton Hinkley 8.07 sec
4. Tom Collier 8.22 sec
5. Jackson Hall 8.26 sec
6. Andy Otten 8.29 sec
7. Scott Selwood 8.32 sec
8. Brendan Whitecross 8.36 sec
9. Callan Ward 8.38 sec
10. Steven Gaertner 8.39 sec

Repeat 30 Metre Sprints
1. Chris Kangars 23.59 secs
2. Patrick Dangerfield 23.96 sec
3. Cyril Rioli 24.01 sec
4. Lachlan Hall 24.08 sec
5. Haelen Kay 24.17 sec
6. David Gourdis 24.22 sec
7. Levi Greenwood 24.22 sec
8. Brendan Whitecross 24.25 sec
9. Chris Mayne 24.37 sec
10. Joel Smouha 24.48 sec

Vertical Jump
1. David Gourdis 81cm
2. Lachlan Hill 74cm
3. Patrick Dangerfield 73cm
4. James Mulligan 72cm
5. Levi Greenwood 71cm
6. Matthew Lobbe 70cm
Steven Gaertner 70cm
Simon Starling 70cm
9. Robbie Tarrant 68cm
James Polkinghorne 68cm
Mitchell Farmer 68cm

20-Metre Sprint
1. David Gourdis 2.83 sec
2. Steven Gaertner 2.88 sec
Clayton Hinkley 2.88 sec
4. Jarrad Grant 2.89 sec
5. Brendan Whitecross 2.91 sec
Aaron Joseph 2.91 sec
7. Tayte Pears 2.92 sec
Patrick Dangerfield 2.92 sec
9. Jarrhan Jacky 2.93 sec
10. David Zaharakis 2.94 sec

Shuttle Run (Beep test)
1. Cale Morton 15.2
2. Joel Smouha 15.1
3. Brendan Whitecross 14.10
4. Clayton Hinkley 14.9
5. Rhys Palmer 14.8
Nick Murphy 14.8
7. Scott Selwood 14.7
8. Chris Kangars 14.5
9. Patrick McGinnity 14.4
10. Matthew Lobbe 14.3
Scott Simpson 14.3

3km Time Trial
1. Joel Smouha 10min 23sec
2. Rhys Palmer 10.25
3. Cale Morton 10.32
4. Hugh Sandilands 10.42
5. Nick Murphy 10.48
6. Scott Selwood 10.49
Patrick McGinnity 10.49
Matthew Lobbe 10.49
9. Matthew Kreuzer 10.51
10.Tony Armstrong 10.54
Chris Kangars 10.54

Go_Dogs
11-10-2007, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=southerncross;13979]This might be interesting to anyone of has missed it. It has a couple more tests than the previous one posted.

Agility
10. Steven Gaertner 8.39 sec

Repeat 30 Metre Sprints
6. David Gourdis 24.22 sec

Vertical Jump
1. David Gourdis 81cm
Steven Gaertner 70cm

20-Metre Sprint
1. David Gourdis 2.83 sec
2. Steven Gaertner 2.88 sec
4. Jarrad Grant 2.89 sec

I'm thinking we'll be having a serious look at these 3.