PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 'sympathy' North members

LostDoggy
23-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure that quite a few of us on this forum have a sympathy North membership. Other than the fact that they essentially live off the largesse/charity of fans like us, they are also beholden to us as paying members of their club, which is probably more than can be said for a lot of their own so-called fans who rarely bother to put their own hands in their tightarse pockets.

I support the club financially because I felt when I joined up at the time two years ago that it was a rearguard action that we fans could fight against the ever-corporatisation of our game by the powers-that-be.

However, several facts this year has caused me to reconsider my position, even before yesterday's embarassment. Going after an unproven, inexperienced, first time coach in Nathan Buckley with my money was one, as was squandering money it doesn't have on a brand-new facility and flaunting it to the press without being honest about their perilous financial position. James Brayshaw and his ambassadorship of that culturally neolithic bastion of neanderthal behaviour ie. The Footy Show is another.

Most damning, however, is the behaviour of their own so-called fans. It is quite clear that for all their bleating, most of them are still far too stingy or lazy to support their own team financially, and more than a third of those of us who pay to keep them afloat are those like ourselves. No more.

NO MORE.

If we all call the club over the next week to make our displeasure as members known, cancel our memberships, and make it VERY clear the reasons for this, they would have no choice but to respond publicly to our displeasure. I will also be drafting a very scathing letter to James Brayshaw, the club, and one to media outlets urging all 'sympathy fans' to withdraw their support, and I urge all of you to do so as well.

When they lose a third of their revenue in the space of a week, it will become very clear that this is a club that has to rely on the highest ideals of sportsmanship and nobility to even have a reason for being, because they certainly have no fanbase to speak of, and remember that they survive on the largesse and charity of others. It should also become very clear to them that the parasite Brad Scott is a liability to their reputation and their future, and will potentially cost them their very existence.

I have very few reasons to care about AFL anymore, yesterday's game just gave me one less reason to care.

mjp
23-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Agree.

Just put the extra money towards the bulldogs backyard program. It is a good idea and gives the tickets to real people who otherwise wouldn't go to the footy rather than just leaving empty seats at the game.

If a club is going to be in financial trouble, better them than us.

bornadog
23-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I have never sympathized with any other team, all my money goes to the doggies. I had no sympathy for Fitzroy, especially after 1989. When the merger was announced, the Fitzroy administration treated our people so badly, and this was before it was all ratified. So when they decided to merge with Brisbane, it was not my issue. The supporters should have been there to fight for them, but alas they were no where to be seen. Of course I feel for those that lost their club, but hey, you want your club to survive, you have to back them not only financially but support them at games. 1989 was a scary time, and I really thought we were gone, but with a few people like Peter Gordon to the rescue, we all saved the club. North are going down fast, and its up to North supporters to rescue them.

Charity begins at home.

Remi Moses
23-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't give them the steam of my you know what.When they decided to poach one of our greats when I was a kid I've hated them since.Let's be honest they had every chance to cash in on there great side of the 90's,but they had one of the most unpopular universally
disliked all time greats and a coach who basically never even contemplating trying to
sell their club and it's brand. A relative who teaches sport in the Kensington area couldn't get anyone from North to come to the school to host clinics.Thankfully our club came to the party

Mofra
24-05-2010, 09:12 AM
A relative who teaches sport in the Kensington area couldn't get anyone from North to come to the school to host clinics.Thankfully our club came to the party
I live in Kensington and despite the proximity to North, I'd class it as a Bulldogs area. There is far more Bulldogs gear worn here than any other club. A sad indictment on North, but not one I will complain about.

Ozza
24-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I live in Kensington and despite the proximity to North, I'd class it as a Bulldogs area. There is far more Bulldogs gear worn here than any other club. A sad indictment on North, but not one I will complain about.

I too am in Kensington, walking distance from Arden st - and the only time I ever see any North gear around in the area is a few of the players are walking into the TAB for a bet after training - or grabbing a coffee at Kitch!

chef
24-05-2010, 09:28 AM

It was funny seeing Petrie(on one of the footy shows) in a class room full of kids at North Melbourne Primary and asking if anyone barracks for the Roos and no one did:D.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 09:40 AM
James Brayshaw, Brad Scott and S.Thompson have lost the plot if they haven't yet realised that up to a third of their memberships, and therefore a major proportion of their budget, relies on goodwill.

Yet we have a coach openly preaching gamesmanship, a president who uses his platform on the Footy Show to present openly biased rubbish, and a limited footballer who wouldn't know a kick if it hit him using the dark arts to even up the playing field. Good luck to them, but if they want to talk about 'better to die on your feet than live on your knees', this is DYING on their knees, because they've given up any high moral ground they may pretend to have ever had.

Without their sympathy members, they have less than 18,000 members, half of those who would be in their final decade of life. Look forward to an early death, North farking Melbourne.

Mantis
24-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Without their sympathy members, they have less than 18,000 members, half of those who would be in their final decade of life. Look forward to an early death, North farking Melbourne.

It was pretty evident being at the game on Saturday that North members/ supporters just don't get along and watch their team in action... but on the crap they dished up why would you go?

You hear a lot about North being a good up & coming team, but I just don't see it yet.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 03:13 PM
It was pretty evident being at the game on Saturday that North members/ supporters just don't get along and watch their team in action... but on the crap they dished up why would you go?

You hear a lot about North being a good up & coming team, but I just don't see it yet.

They may not exist long enough for you to see it.

In any case, the reason we hear so much about them is because their president has a weekly soapbox. No other reason. In the same way Collingwood has been shit for years now but every year we hear through their media whores about how they are 'premiership fancies'. Puh-lease.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Gee I wish I was a sympathy member just so I could join you Lantern. :) but alas I am not. A great Thread.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Would love to hear the response you get from them Lantern, keep us posted.

The Adelaide Connection
25-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I am not sure that the misguided actions of a few are enough to make me want to sink the boot in to a club that has existed for a long time. There are a lot of good people that support the club, a lot of champions in the purest sense of the word that have played for them, and I am sure a lot of great people that have poured blood, sweat and tears to keep the place going. I am not sure these people deserve your wrath.

Not so long ago our club was financially crippled and we had a little bloke, who remains one of the most hated players to ever play the game, who spent the twilight of his career running around doing a lot of things much dirtier than pushing a bloke over while they were tying their laces.

I think it is fair enough that you dont want to put any more money into North Melbourne, it is extremely noble that you did so in the first place, but I think the rest of your reaction may be a little harsh.

I was a Fitzroy supporter and I was still very young when they went under and my only real memories of them are constantly being thumped by the opposition. Regardless I loved that club and I was devastated when they were 'taken over'. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Remi Moses
25-05-2010, 11:59 PM
While on holiday I've scoured through Big Footy (apologies for showing poor judgement)anyone who purchases a membership for that lot should read their drivel!When there you cannot avoid some 1st year RMIT budding Journo Jamie Johnstone.

EasternWest
26-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Why would anyone have a membership for another club? It makes no sense.

Remi Moses
26-05-2010, 12:16 AM

Particulary one that reminds us of our crap history by one of their 90y/o fans.

turtle
26-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I am not sure that the misguided actions of a few are enough to make me want to sink the boot in to a club that has existed for a long time. There are a lot of good people that support the club, a lot of champions in the purest sense of the word that have played for them, and I am sure a lot of great people that have poured blood, sweat and tears to keep the place going. I am not sure these people deserve your wrath.

Not so long ago our club was financially crippled and we had a little bloke, who remains one of the most hated players to ever play the game, who spent the twilight of his career running around doing a lot of things much dirtier than pushing a bloke over while they were tying their laces.

I think it is fair enough that you dont want to put any more money into North Melbourne, it is extremely noble that you did so in the first place, but I think the rest of your reaction may be a little harsh.

I was a Fitzroy supporter and I was still very young when they went under and my only real memories of them are constantly being thumped by the opposition. Regardless I loved that club and I was devastated when they were 'taken over'. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Agree wholeheartedly. Every club has its momemts - its mongrels - its legends.
Every bulldogs person would have been steamed up by last week's event - I know was furious. But remember when it was Libba & Jose doing it? We have bigger fish to fry. We got the win - Bazz got off - let's just on with worrying about Essendon.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Gotta admit I've always felt that way too. We have 6 memberships in our household even though we only use 4 a week. No way would I buy one for another team. :eek:

Curly5
27-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I too am in Kensington, walking distance from Arden st - and the only time I ever see any North gear around in the area is a few of the players are walking into the TAB for a bet after training - or grabbing a coffee at Kitch!

Let's hope they are not betting on footy...

I joined up my other half to the Bulldogs years ago when we were in financial and membership strife, even though he barracks for the Cats (but has never been a member :mad: ). At that stage Geelong wasn't much better than us so we were sympathetic to each other's teams. However, after 2 premierships and quite a lot of smugness on the part of this person ;) I am now OVER Geelong and over paying for this extra membership. This is the END.