PDA

View Full Version : If Hall Receives More than a Fine, this will Destroy Football

bornadog
24-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Consider this, if Hall gets demerit points and is forced to be suspended, I imagine this will pave the way for every fullback to start the him and trying to add more demerits. It will be worse than yesterday and it will end up a debacle for not only us but football in general. The AFL needs to carefully consider what they are going to do in relation to the misconduct charge .

To me a headlock is less of a charge than pulling hair, yet pulling hair receives a $900 fine.

AndrewP6
24-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Consider this, if Hall gets demerit points and is forced to be suspended, I imagine this will pave the way for every fullback to start the him and trying to add more demerits. It will be worse than yesterday and it will end up a debacle for not only us but football in general. The AFL needs to carefully consider what they are going to do in relation to the misconduct charge .

To me a headlock is less of a charge than pulling hair, yet pulling hair receives a $900 fine.

Agree 100%

mighty_west
24-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I was listening to talkback yesterday, and already in junior footy, there are under 10's or 12's or whatever it was, the kids are doing the same, niggling one another, the bigger kids picking on the smaller kids out on the ground, and parents on the sidelines encouring it to happen.

To me that is extemely sad, they see their hero's do it at AFL level, so they mimic them, there has to be a crackdown on this, fullbacks or even taggers from elbowing, jabs in the backs of their opponents.

A bit out of left field, but some kind of third ump from the stands with different camera angles to keep a look out, i'm tipping if players get free's paid against, especially to the full forward with shots on goals, the coaches will quickly put a stop to it.

Sockeye Salmon
24-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Back in round 21 1997, the last Whitten oval game against West Coast, Daniel Southern, Craig Ellis and Steve Kretiuk bumped and intimidated Michael Gardiner before the first bounce.

In the wash-up, the three of them recieved, in effect, suspended sentences for wrestling.

The following week, v Hawthorn (who couldn't make the finals) the three of them - especially Southern - were grabbed and wrestled to the ground frequently during the match. Southern was cited for wrestling and copped 2 WEEKS - both of our finals that year. The clowns who started all the wrestling copped small fines.

On a side note, Rayden Tallis was also suspended in that match (for striking James Cook) but because Hawthorn was out of the finals, Tallis had to serve his suspension in the following years pre-season cup. Nothing strange about that - except he was allowed to play in the reserves finals! Never before have I ever heard of a player being allowed to play in another competition while under suspension. Even back then the fools at the AFL made things up as they went along.

Sedat
24-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Back in round 21 1997, the last Whitten oval game against West Coast, Daniel Southern, Craig Ellis and Steve Kretiuk bumped and intimidated Michael Gardiner before the first bounce.

In the wash-up, the three of them recieved, in effect, suspended sentences for wrestling.

The following week, v Hawthorn (who couldn't make the finals) the three of them - especially Southern - were grabbed and wrestled to the ground frequently during the match. Southern was cited for wrestling and copped 2 WEEKS - both of our finals that year. The clowns who started all the wrestling copped small fines.
One of whom was Brad Scott. Make of that what you will.

bornadog
24-05-2010, 01:44 PM

On a side note, Rayden Tallis was also suspended in that match (for striking James Cook) but because Hawthorn was out of the finals, Tallis had to serve his suspension in the following years pre-season cup. Nothing strange about that - except he was allowed to play in the reserves finals! Never before have I ever heard of a player being allowed to play in another competition while under suspension. Even back then the fools at the AFL made things up as they went along.

We always cop the worst, just ask Curley.

Desipura
24-05-2010, 01:55 PM
When you are a crap side like North, you go the player first because you know you are not good enough to get the ball first.
I watched my side (when we were near the bottom, which was for most of the 80's) do it.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 05:40 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/barry-hall-may-be-free-to-play/story-e6frf9jf-1225870631749

Good signs here! Hope its spot on.

bornadog
24-05-2010, 05:44 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/barry-hall-may-be-free-to-play/story-e6frf9jf-1225870631749

Good signs here! Hope its spot on.

and that would be a fair penalty

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 05:46 PM
My fingers are crossed.

chef
24-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Hopefully sanity prevails

comrade
24-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Hall will get a fine and Ian Collins will do something to ensure he gets rubbed out. :D

Greystache
24-05-2010, 05:55 PM
and that would be a fair penalty

Did you hear Gilbee I think it was say the boys might all chip in and help pay any fine he gets?

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Hall will get a fine and Ian Collins will do something to ensure he gets rubbed out. :D

Oh no, it's all coming back, my blood is starting to boil again...

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 05:58 PM
They couldn't really do anything else -- the outcry would have been huge. There have been over 10,000 votes on the polls on both the Herald Sun and Age websites asking if Bazz should be suspended and both have shown that the football public are overwhelmingly against suspension. The AFL is nothing if not kneejerk populist.

If these polls are to be believed, then we must conclude that most people think Scott is an idiot as well.

Pickenitup
24-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Mark Stevens is always on the ball with Bulldog news

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Mark Stevens is always on the ball with Bulldog news

Sure does, he's a supporter and the majority of his articles are bulldogs-related, enjoy reading his work.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Did you hear Gilbee I think it was say the boys might all chip in and help pay any fine he gets?

I read that Gia said the same thing. A good sign of the closeness of the group.

Throughandthrough
24-05-2010, 06:13 PM

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth :mad:

Mantis
24-05-2010, 06:13 PM
$4000 fine.

That's it.

choconmientay
24-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Good news reported on AFL site. Barry got fined 4000$ (3000$ with early plea). The culprit of North got an 'out of jail' card :(

cinder
24-05-2010, 06:16 PM
He got off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU BLOODY RIPPER.
$4000 fine only ...

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Thank god, common sense prevailed.

choconmientay
24-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Thank god, common sense prevailed.

Why did Scott Thompson get off so lightly?

Throughandthrough
24-05-2010, 06:18 PM
i think (Scott free) Thompson will be the most scrutinised player in the AFL for a while...

comrade
24-05-2010, 06:24 PM
You have to laugh at Damien Barrett who suggested that Baz would probably get 4-5 weeks.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Scott Thompson's career slowly go down the gurgler; umpires won't let him get away with anywhere near as much niggle and he'll struggle to rely on his natural ability to contain opposition forwards.

cinder
24-05-2010, 06:26 PM
You have to laugh at Damien Barrett who suggested that Baz would probably get 4-5 weeks.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Scott Thompson's career slowly go down the gurgler; umpires won't let him get away with anywhere near as much niggle and he'll struggle to rely on his natural ability to contain opposition forwards.

I saw that (re: Barrett) and I thought, what a retard, as if!! I wouldn't have been too surprised if he got a week or something knowing what the tribunal are like, but rapt that he got off

bornadog
24-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Barry Hall, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with misconduct in that he held Scott Thompson, North Melbourne, in a headlock during the second quarter of the Round Nine match of the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday May 22, 2010.

The match review panel determined a sanction of $4000. In summary, he can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea. The charge was laid under the misconduct provisions in the Table of Offences, whereby the Match Review Panel can impose a financial sanction for a misconduct offence that is not classified under the table. The Match Review Panel took into account the medical report on player Thompson and the relevant footage in determining a charge of rough conduct was not appropriate in the circumstances of this case.

Not happy about the McMahon decision, to me it was a gutless act

The match day report laid against North Melbourne’s Scott McMahon for rough conduct in that he kneed the Western Bulldogs’ Liam Picken during the fourth quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. The panel said the force was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

Pickenitup
24-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Barrett is a North supporter so i guess he was being a bit biased

BulldogBelle
24-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Not happy about the McMahon decision, to me it was a gutless act

The match day report laid against North Melbourne’s Scott McMahon for rough conduct in that he kneed the Western Bulldogs’ Liam Picken during the fourth quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. The panel said the force was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

On the youtube vision you can see him doing exactly the same thing to Coon's. I thought that since he'd done it twice it would get taken seriously. A gutless act for sure.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fADacmDQk

At the 1:27 - 1:29 mark.

That makes my blood boil.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Great news regarding Barry Hall, a fair result. I'm shocked!

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Barrett is a North supporter so i guess he was being a bit biased
That explains it, IK could not work out what his agenda was, laughable.

Ozza
24-05-2010, 07:36 PM
So where is the collection tin to donate to Bazza's $4000!!!

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 10:54 PM
In responce to the title of this thread, THANK GOD FOOTBALL IS NOT DESTROYED! And common sense prevails! :)

bornadog
24-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Was it Gia who said the players will chip in and pay the fine because they should have looked out for Barry more than they should have.

AndrewP6
24-05-2010, 11:09 PM

http://www.thepackagingshop.com.au/uploads/products/largeImages/C0870021_LG.jpg

Desipura
25-05-2010, 10:14 AM

I think Barry can cover it himself, just needs to sell the spare tye of his Mecedez Benz 4WD that was shown on the news.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Why did Scott Thompson get off so lightly?

I don't see that he did. He had his name dragged through the mud all week, and simply reiterated how much of a pest and a cowardly sniping rat he is, and guess who he's likely playing on this week? Yep — The Pav. At Subiaco. With Freo being the Success Story of 2010 so far.

He'd want to discuss tactics with his coach this week, because the Freo boys like a biff — Ballantyne, Grover, Headland, and the worst: Solomon — so if they try the same crap this week, they're done.

Mantis
25-05-2010, 01:54 PM
He'd want to discuss tactics with his coach this week, because the Freo boys like a biff — Ballantyne, Grover, Headland, and the worst: Solomon — so if they try the same crap this week, they're done.

He has retired so unless he jumps the fence he won't be seeing much of the action.

BulldogBelle
25-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Was it Gia who said the players will chip in and pay the fine because they should have looked out for Barry more than they should have.

Yes BAD it was Gia.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 02:00 PM
He has retired so unless he jumps the fence he won't be seeing much of the action.

Damn, yes, forgot that. I'm an idiot. :) :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Just got a 'Breaking News' email from SEN. The playing group are going to cover Barry's fine. :)