PDA

View Full Version : The F'N media

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 01:20 AM
The flipping media.

Because this is where this drivel is derived from.

I was at the game and it was noted on the radio how there were mostly doggies stands in the crowd. (3AW) Watched the replay on Foxtel (Channel 10's original telecast) and it was stated that the crowd with some 33 thousand that North could take heart from the attendance. So these jokers ignore the fact that most were probably dogs supporters because it was a replacement game for members.

A positive for the year is that at least the hype has died down with all the speculation, it seemed we were going to almost go the whole year and win every game up to and including the grand final. As mentioned on another thread Aker's column raised alot of eyes but that's him and he's entitled to his opinion. Colourful characters are dying sadly, remember Karl Langdon. At least when he writes a column he believes in it. Caroline Wilson can't even get the name of the council right when she mentioned that Essendon were having problems at their ground or what about the Brian Lake leaving article she wrote.

Those interviews post game were also rubbish as mentioned elsewhere. If that's all you've got Andy Maher, bring back Dipper or even Harry Beitzel from the grave. What about the fact we actually spanked North? I don't remember it as I may not have watched but did Fevola receive such stupid questions after the siren went the week Bingle's disaster or his gambling thing came out. Andy's brain cell must be very lonely.

Whatever happens this week and what a week it may be, the club and supporters will lap it up like we always do. I'm sure the club has already had an action plan worked out long ago because this incident which is a non-event and more about North Melbourne (oh sorry Kangaroos what a farce) shouldn't even be an incident, but no doubt in the state that worships AFL it'll sell papers. Avoid buying the paper and looking it up online for the week if its possible. First dog's cartoons are the exception.

Oh and apart from the Dog's game this weekend think about going to your local VFL match soon and go watch a game where you're allowed on the field between quarters (really? Yes really) can listen to the coaches address (1st and 3rd 1/4), eat cheaply, drink full strength beer at will and pay realistic prices to get in(free for willi games 4 members). At least someone's keeping it real.

Remi Moses
24-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Just read what Woody Allen served up in the tabloid daily. Basically said Barry could have killed Thompson,and brought out the tired old Sumich incident! Yes Mike the same Peter Sumich who returned to the training track a day later!!Unfortunately Mike has degenerated into the rag of the so called "newspaper" he writes for:rolleyes:

Remi Moses
24-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Heard Francis Leach on Stkilda groupie network 1116 pass comment and had The Hall crucifiction penciled in yet alarmingly commented he hadn't seen the incident ! Alot of 2005 preliminary final bitterness with some of their
so called Presenters:eek:

Desipura
24-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Did anyone watch the Sunday footy show where they were talking about Aker's article? Apparently the Dogs read his article before it went to print (as they always do) and gave it the 'ok', only to see the wording change when it went to print.
It came accross a whole lot different when one or two extra words were added. Surelt the Herald/Sun should be made accountable?

aker39
24-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Did anyone watch the Sunday footy show where they were talking about Aker's article? Apparently the Dogs read his article before it went to print (as they always do) and gave it the 'ok', only to see the wording change when it went to print.
It came accross a whole lot different when one or two extra words were added. Surelt the Herald/Sun should be made accountable?

Note according to Jon Anderson

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/club-signed-off-on-akers-column/story-e6frf9jf-1225870272850

AS the ghost writer for the Jason Akermanis column, let's make one point very clear from the start.

The column was not doctored in any shape or form to make it more appealing to the masses.

Any changes to the original that Akermanis first wrote last Saturday week, were sent to him for his approval.

Were there changes? Yes, to soften the original message and to give the column more structure.

It amuses me to hear some learned colleagues in the media world suggest the column had been beaten to an inch of its life.

How would they know? My history isn't to beat up stories and when you are working as a ghost writer it's important to develop a level of trust with the author.

To that end I haven't heard Akermanis complain that he was misrepresented in any shape or form.

I have heard at least one person from the Western Bulldogs complain that the original was completely changed.

That's rubbish and invented to protect the person from the wrath of his club. Nobody really knew how big the issue would become.

Let's be clear here, the club signed off on the much harder version of the column.

And what was the issue? One that got lost when all the experts started having their say on it.

In case you forgot, Akermanis said he didn't believe the AFL was ready for a footballer to admit he was gay.

For the record I disagree because you only create a better environment through the courage of someone admitting who and what they are, such as Martina Navratilova did 25 years ago.

But they are my thoughts, not Akers', and whether or not I agree with his thoughts, I will continue to ensure his message gets across in a fair way.

Flamethrower
24-05-2010, 08:09 PM
After reading an article in the Melbourne tabloid this morning it reminds me of a joke I once heard....

Q: What's the difference between Mike Sheahan and a goose?
A: A goose has never been a Mike Sheahan.

wend1604
24-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Oh and apart from the Dog's game this weekend think about going to your local VFL match soon and go watch a game where you're allowed on the field between quarters (really? Yes really) can listen to the coaches address (1st and 3rd 1/4), eat cheaply, drink full strength beer at will and pay realistic prices to get in(free for willi games 4 members). At least someone's keeping it real.

Might be worth considering. Barry Hall has been booked in to be the guest speaker at the pre-game lunch at the Willy game this Saturday. Am trying to post the link but apologies if it doesn't work!

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10459-0-0&sID=54954&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12161127&sectionID=54954

chef
17-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Mark Stevens consistently calling the Duck the best ever really pisses me off, what sort of a Dogs fan is he.

azabob
17-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Mark Stevens consistently calling the Duck the best ever really pisses me off, what sort of a Dogs fan is he.

Talk about a random thread!

Twodogs
17-04-2015, 10:35 PM

Yeah. Wow!

It's great to finally be posting in it.

LostDoggy
18-04-2015, 04:57 PM

Write your objections down and sticky tape them to Carey's statue.

KT31
19-04-2015, 03:11 AM

Just on this, did anyone hear the story told by The Duck years ago, when he first arrived in Melbourne and got cut off by a car.
He pulled up at the next set of lights and pulled a knife out and tapped it on the window.
The bloke in the car ( whom he cut off) proceeded to pull a gun out of his pocket and tap it on his window.
Carey shit and sped off.
Carey told this on MMM one night and this was all prior to the scandals and I then thought at the time this bloke is one of the biggest dicks to don an an AFL jumper.
Incidentally a month later my sister-law, a huge North supporter, had an incident with him which confirmed it.

ReLoad
19-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Speaking of which Matthew Lloyds article in the Age today is an utter disgrace.

He lists Tom Boyds stats and goes on about him, which is all well and good but he hasn't listed all his stats, namely tackles. Boyd is playing a role for us right now while he learns his craft, and it's a team role, to hit a pack and make sure it comes to ground, which he is consistently doing.

Then his tackle count, which is obscenely high for a full forward, he is buying I to the team, it's work rate and ethic. Something which old sooky kick it to me while I elbow you in the head pants never did.

SonofScray
19-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Speaking of which Matthew Lloyds article in the Age today is an utter disgrace.

He lists Tom Boyds stats and goes on about him, which is all well and good but he hasn't listed all his stats, namely tackles. Boyd is playing a role for us right now while he learns his craft, and it's a team role, to hit a pack and make sure it comes to ground, which he is consistently doing.

Then his tackle count, which is obscenely high for a full forward, he is buying I to the team, it's work rate and ethic. Something which old sooky kick it to me while I elbow you in the head pants never did.

The Old Boys Club have got together and had a sook about the contract, with the ex players filthy that they never landed a deal like that and the old guard concerned that we had the pluck to fire shots back in October rather than just roll over and accept things were going to shit. The journalists are dirty that they can't just roll out the "dogs need a key forward" article every time we lose.

I'll not pay any attention to their assessments of Tom Boyd as a result. If the coach says he is doing his bit and I see him chasing, tackling and having opportunities to influence the game I'll be as patient as I need to be.

bornadog
19-04-2015, 10:30 AM
The Old Boys Club have got together and had a sook about the contract, with the ex players filthy that they never landed a deal like that and the old guard concerned that we had the pluck to fire shots back in October rather than just roll over and accept things were going to shit. The journalists are dirty that they can't just roll out the "dogs need a key forward" article every time we lose.

I'll not pay any attention to their assessments of Tom Boyd as a result. If the coach says he is doing his bit and I see him chasing, tackling and having opportunities to influence the game I'll be as patient as I need to be.

Lloyd is a dickhead of the highest order. The kid is not even 20 years old and has played 11 games. I really don't care what that Cretan says and I never have.

Maddog37
19-04-2015, 11:26 AM
That Carey story is just madness. What a peanut.

Matthew Lloyd is ok in the media as at least he has an opinion and sticks to his guns. I just think he isn't quite as sharp as he thinks he is. People are going to write negative articles about us and to think that all of it is trash is slightly deluded.

ledge
19-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Funny how they say players take time to come good, especially tall forwards but now they are slamming a guy who has only played a few games. They will all be eating their words in the future.

Greystache
19-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Now that Lloyd said it wait for Garry Lyon in his usual way to add 50% of mayo to a current topic and call the deal a disaster 3 weeks into it.

Lloyd just tries to generate attention for Lloyd, almost nothing he says has any insight and is just a statement about what had happened that day.

LostDoggy
19-04-2015, 01:47 PM

They can just roll out the "Dogs are paying their key forward too much" article instead.

Ozza
19-04-2015, 11:48 PM
What I'm now expecting on footy classified, is for Hutchy to challenge Lloyd on the article and show Boyd's highlights from the weekend.

This, I don't agree with either, as it is ridiculous to make a judgement about the Boyd contract/deal at any time in the first year or two. But given Hutchy has been more supportive of the deal than most in media land - wouldn't be surprised to see it come up.

Twodogs
20-04-2015, 12:10 AM
What I'm now expecting on footy classified, is for Hutchy to challenge Lloyd on the article and show Boyd's highlights from the weekend.

This, I don't agree with either, as it is ridiculous to make a judgement about the Boyd contract/deal at any time in the first year or two. But given Hutchy has been more supportive of the deal than most in media land - wouldn't be surprised to see it come up.

Hutchy is great mates with Liam Picken who is Tom Boyd's manager and who had a fair bit to do with Tom getting to us so I'm not suprised he is a fan of the move.

And you're right. It would make a good question. If it wasn't going to happen before then it will probably happen now.

comrade
20-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Lloyd will just defend himself and say something along the lines go 'it's only one game', 'small sample' etc.

Yet, he was prepared to towel us over Boyd's first 2 games this year. Because 2 games is obviously enough..

ratsmac
20-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Hutchy is great mates with Liam Picken who is Tom Boyd's manager and who had a fair bit to do with Tom getting to us so I'm not suprised he is a fan of the move.

And you're right. It would make a good question. If it wasn't going to happen before then it will probably happen now.

I think you mean Liam Pickering! :)

Twodogs
20-04-2015, 05:40 PM
I think you mean Liam Pickering! :)

I was concentrating so hard on not calling him Leon that I got his surname wrong.

Remi Moses
20-04-2015, 07:35 PM
The article just states the bleeding obvious in that Tom has aspects of his game he has to improve .
What 11 game 19 year old key forward doesn't .
It's a long term investment FFS, and we know it comes with risk. The whole narrative is just so friggin tedious, and I'm sure they'll be waiting with baseball bats if the deal fails.
On the flip side if it's a raging success they'll be fawning and backflipping

chef
10-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Jesse Stringer getting a lot of love from Browny.

The moron called him that 4 or 5 times. Jesse this and Jesse that

Remi Moses
10-08-2015, 09:53 PM
I thought Brad Boyd was very good again:D
They just swing in the breeze

Bulldog4life
10-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Till Gerard Healy corrected him

Happy Days
10-08-2015, 10:00 PM

I really don't get why Jesse Stringer, a far below average league footballer and noted scumbag, sticks in the mind of media professionals, especially given how spectacular Jake is to watch, and how high profile he has become.

LostDoggy
10-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Lots of dog love on fox tonight even from Jason brown

Twodogs
10-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Did anyone see the picture of Jack Redpath in the sun yesterday that called him Fletcher Roberts?

F'scary
10-08-2015, 10:47 PM
I seem to notice that they just constantly mix up our guys. Macrae gets the ball and they call him Wallis, Hunter gets it and they call him Hrovat, Darley becomes Talia, Roberts alternating between Roughead and Hamling and so on.

It is a bit like the Beatles song "I am the Walrus." I am he as you are he and you are me and we are all together...

azabob
10-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Did anyone see the picture of Jack Redpath in the sun yesterday that called him Fletcher Roberts?

Just because Fletcher Roberts is a defender and didnt play on the weekend and Redpath is a forward who weighs double that of Roberts and did play on the weekend, what makes you think you are right and they are wrong?

Just saying....

AndrewP6
10-08-2015, 11:34 PM
On the weekend's call by Triple M, one commentator (can't recall who), openly admitted he didn't know some of the names (and curiously, said he 'couldn't see them'. I wondered what they are watching...If I can see them from my seat, why can't they?)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-08-2015, 09:40 AM
They are supposedly professionals but I've noticed that they either don't mention a player because they don't know who it is (Prudden last week), call the wrong player, mangle their names (Brad Boyd, Steve Wallis, Jesse Stringer) or get fixated on a couple of players they do know and talk about them the whole game. The Age even gave votes to Jesse Stringer this week ffs. Rant over

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Marcus Picken has played well this year though.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Dale Morris played his first AFL game on Mitch Hahn. I learned this for this first time ever last week. How did I not know that already?

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I found the Mandarin version of our game posted on the AFL website this week to be much better listening than Foxtel usually is (and I don't speak Mandarin :)

All I could make out was the names of the players, and they were generally correct.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I found the Mandarin version of our game posted on the AFL website this week to be much better listening than Foxtel usually is (and I don't speak Mandarin :)

All I could make out was the names of the players, and they were generally correct.

One of the best posts of the year! :D :D :D

Mantis
11-08-2015, 11:15 AM

One too many hits to the head for poor old Browny.

I was interested in getting his book until I worked out it was full of dot to dot puzzles.

craigsahibee
11-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Morris played his first game on Mitch Hahn. I learned this for this first time ever last week. How did I not know that already?

I heard that also. If only the media were put under the same scrutiny as they do the players. Now that's a footy show I would watch. Between 9 games each week, surely the muppets in the media could provide enough content for an hour per week, hell Dwayne Russell could cover that by half time in most games.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I heard that also. If only the media were put under the same scrutiny as they do the players. Now that's a footy show I would watch. Between 9 games each week, surely the muppets in the media could provide enough content for an hour per week, hell Dwayne Russell could cover that by half time in most games.

Maybe I could approach the ABC and get media-watch type show set up?

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2015, 12:33 PM

Sounds good in theory, but enduring a requirement to watch and listen to all of it might seriously test the sanity of an individual.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Sounds good in theory, but enduring a requirement to watch and listen to all of it might seriously test the sanity of an individual.

True. But, like with MW, some incisive wit, dry sarcasm, then rolling of eyes and finishing with a put down upon pulling a 'you're a knob' face/body language is a good reward. Particularly to a Stuart Littlemore level.

Drunken Bum
11-08-2015, 02:44 PM

I seriously reckon that would be a hit, they're sposed to be bloody professionals and paid a truck load to do a pretty easy job they should be held accountable, a half hour show, taking the piss out of these imbeciles would be a good watch, maybe try channel 31, recruit a few different teams fans to submit their commentary gripes from each game every week, make these campaigners accountable FFS, could easily get a 30 min to hour show a week, pointing out the ignorance of the vast majority of the football media

Twodogs
11-08-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm in.

C31 might be interested. Or a Vodcast or youtube.

Twodogs
11-08-2015, 03:24 PM
A segment about stating the obvious, a segment about getting names wrong, a segment about commentators bias, a count of different Brian Taylor cliches. There's heaps there.

Maddog37
11-08-2015, 03:28 PM
A bit like Sam, Santo and Ed do for the world game......

bulldogtragic
11-08-2015, 03:32 PM
A segment about stating the obvious, a segment about getting names wrong, a segment about commentators bias, a count of different Brian Taylor cliches. There's heaps there.

Might be a very, very, very long weekly programme... :D

Twodogs
11-08-2015, 06:27 PM
A bit like Sam, Santo and Ed do for the world game......

Something like that, calling out lazy journalism and the like.

Daughter of the West
11-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Something like that, calling out lazy journalism and the like.

Leaping Larry L does quite a good short column in the Age on Sundays calling out ridiculous commentary and the like. I have wondered on many occasions how his ears are still in one piece though, mine would be bleeding profusely if I took in that many howlers...