PDA

View Full Version : Rocket on One Week At A Time tonight

chef
24-05-2010, 06:48 PM
To return fire at Scott.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-05-2010, 06:52 PM
To return fire at Scott.

Now that Hall has been cleared to play, I'd like to hope he puts a full stop to the proceedings, and let's it go.
I would be just promoting the fact that we didn't get sucked into the tactics and that as a
grop we focused on the more important prize of winning the 4 points and that any other team that wants to try those sort of tactics, good luck to them because our group will respond in the manner that is important, on the scoreboard.

Fantastic that Eade has come out and supported our group, but I think to continue with the rhetoric now would be pointless and perhaps distracting.

comrade
24-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Now that Hall has been cleared to play, I'd like to hope he puts a full stop to the proceedings, and let's it go.
I would be just promoting the fact that we didn't get sucked into the tactics and that as a
grop we focused on the more important prize of winning the 4 points and that any other team that wants to try those sort of tactics, good luck to them because our group will respond in the manner that is important, on the scoreboard.

Fantastic that Eade has come out and supported our group, but I think to continue with the rhetoric now would be pointless and perhaps distracting.

Agree. We won and Baz gets to play next week.

Time to move on.

Mantis
24-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Agree. We won and Baz gets to play next week.

Time to move on.

That was what Rocket said when asked to respond to the statement put out by Brad Scott.

comrade
24-05-2010, 09:23 PM
That was what Rocket said when asked to respond to the statement put out by Brad Scott.

Good to hear and I knew that's how Rocket would approach it. I didn't get to see the show - what else was said?

Mantis
24-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Rocket was fairly coy about it all, you could tell that he just wants the matter to blow over.

* He said he had a good laugh when he heard what Brad Scott had said on Friday about Aker - thinks those comments pissed a few of our players off as a few of them rang Rocket on Friday and spoke to him before the game.

* Said Gieschen rang him today to pass on a message to Hall that he handled himself very well and that the umpires should have paid him more free's.

* They showed 3 instances of "cheap shots" - all were Firrito knocking over players after they had dished off the ball. Also showed McMahon kneeing Picken & Cooney.

* Said we would have taken a suspension decision from the MRP against Hall to the tribunal.

LostDoggy
They talked alot about the Barry Hall stuff, and I was surprised to hear Robert Walls really defend Hall and pretty much bagged the tactics of Thompson. Rocket didn't really want to keep it going when they asked for his response to the Brad Scott statement, he just said, "I don't need to respond, we are past that now and just concentrating on Essendon".All agreed in the end that the match committee made the right decision by not giving Baz time off. They then asked Rocket about the Aker stuff, after a bit of discussion, Rocket said that the leader group spoke to Aker today, and that as a club they would probably sit down with Aker and discuss the issue. Didn't go as far as saying Aker wouldn't be allowed to write any more articles though. Did confirm that he believed that the article was changed after it had been proof read by the club.

Oh, Rocket did get them to run the tape slowly of Baz "allegedly" strangling Thompson, and you can clearly see that Baz has his arms up around Thompson's jawline, not around his neck! At no time was he is danger of choking!

cinder
Good to hear and I knew that's how Rocket would approach it. I didn't get to see the show - what else was said?

One part I particularly enjoyed was when Rob Walls said that he thought quite a few other full forwards watching the Hall head-lock on Thompson would have been thinking 'squeeze harder' - because basically they're all fed up with treatment like that from defenders.

choconmientay
24-05-2010, 09:51 PM
* Said Gieschen rang him today to pass on a message to Hall that he handled himself very well and that the umpires should have paid him more free's.

This is now mentioned on afl.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/94946/default.aspx)

One positive thing out of the whole situation is maybe Barry will get more 'positive' attention by the umpires :)

Sockeye Salmon
24-05-2010, 10:15 PM
How's the integrity of Scott and Thompson?

Scott: "I know first hand Aker's teammates weren't happy with him"

First hand, Brad?

Seeing Aker is the only player on our list who has had any contact with Scott at any other club before, who does Scott have a close enough relationship to who might have told him that "first hand"?

You weren't told that "first hand", Brad, you were lying.

Thompson: "I couldn't breathe. I was seconds away from passing out".

The only reason you weren't breathing, Scott, was because you were so scared about what Barry could do to you if he so chose. The footage clearly shows Hall's arms around Thompson's face, not throat. You were lying, Scott.

mighty_west
24-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Rocket was fairly coy about it all, you could tell that he just wants the matter to blow over.

* He said he had a good laugh when he heard what Brad Scott had said on Friday about Aker - thinks those comments pissed a few of our players off as a few of them rang Rocket on Friday and spoke to him before the game.

* They showed 3 instances of "cheap shots" - all were Firrito knocking over players after they had dished off the ball. Also showed McMahon kneeing Picken & Cooney.

* Said we would have taken a suspension decision from the MRP against Hall to the tribunal.

Thanks for that Mantis, i missed it.

Great to see the Geisch call Rocket, and say what he had to say, all we want is some transparency with some decisions & interpretations with rules when they don't quite appear black & white, and if the umps got some decisions wrong or if they miss something, great, we all know they are human and will & always will make mistakes, they acknowledged that, and we can all get on with it.

Also great that some vision has been highlighted where North players have had little snipes or cheap shots, North seem to think that the only snipe was the 2 cuts to Gia & Addisons heads, which was a clear clash of heads, and not any fault of the North players, yet they seemed to think that it was the only bit of play the Dogs were up in arms about.

Let's see what Scott has to say about that on FC's tonight.

AndrewP6
24-05-2010, 10:21 PM

First hand, Brad?

Seeing Aker is the only player on our list who has had any contact with Scott at any other club before, who does Scott have a close enough relationship to who might have told him that "first hand"?

You weren't told that "first hand", Brad, you were lying.

Maybe Scott just doesn't know the actual meaning of the term "first-hand"...:rolleyes:;)

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2010, 10:25 PM
This is now mentioned on afl.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/94946/default.aspx)

One positive thing out of the whole situation is maybe Barry will get more 'positive' attention by the umpires :)

#$@! He'll kick 12 this week if that happens. I've been waiting for just one of our forwards to get looked after... No just treated on a level playing field.

chef
24-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Yep, he responded well to all the questions, wouldn't back down on what he said but now his focus is Essendon and has moved on.

Mantis
24-05-2010, 10:32 PM

The only reason you weren't breathing, Scott, was because you were so scared about what Barry could do to you if he so chose. The footage clearly shows Hall's arms around Thompson's face, not throat. You were lying, Scott.

If so how could he jump straight up and try and headbutt Hall if he was almost unconscious?

I would have thought he would have at the very least been a little dazed after his near death experience.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for that Mantis, i missed it.

Great to see the Geisch call Rocket, and say what he had to say, all we want is some transparency with some decisions & interpretations with rules when they don't quite appear black & white, and if the umps got some decisions wrong or if they miss something, great, we all know they are human and will & always will make mistakes, they acknowledged that, and we can all get on with it.

Also great that some vision has been highlighted where North players have had little snipes or cheap shots, North seem to think that the only snipe was the 2 cuts to Gia & Addisons heads, which was a clear clash of heads, and not any fault of the North players, yet they seemed to think that it was the only bit of play the Dogs were up in arms about.

Let's see what Scott has to say about that on FC's tonight.

Thanks for letting me know he will be on it, should be interesting viewing.

chef
24-05-2010, 10:44 PM
One part I particularly enjoyed was when Rob Walls said that he thought quite a few other full forwards watching the Hall head-lock on Thompson would have been thinking 'squeeze harder' - because basically they're all fed up with treatment like that from defenders.

Didn't he say 99% of the other players in the league:D

Dry Rot
24-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Thompson may well have done Hall and the Dogs a very big favour. :)

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Caught the tail end of it all on One.

Eade was good in sticking up for Hall, and I think it helped sway popular opinion. For all his past troubles Hall is a ridiculously popular footballer and fans from many teams love him. His return to success in the AFL has been a brilliant story in 2010, up there with the heart warming J-Pod and the rookie sensation Michael Barlow. I think the AFL would be happy with the result at the tribunal and wouldnt have wanted Bazza to be suspended.

I didn't think there was much wrong with what Thompson did, but I think you've got to accept the odd headlock if those are the tactics you are applying.

bornadog
24-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Apparently Aker rang Darcy on Sunday because Darc had made a comment that Aker was struggling. Darcy told him he was struggling. The panel also quizzed Rocket on whether Aker was in our top 22. Rocket said he was steady up to round 6, tackling and chasing was very good, round 7 and 8 played very well and thinks round 9 was effected by the attention he got for the article he wrote. Rocket still thinks he is in our best 22.

The leadership group sat down today with Aker and said we don't need this attention at this stage and he certainly doesn't need it, they just want to play footy and not have distractions.
They said the trouble is all players are dragged into it as the media want comments on what Aker wrote. Rocket also mentioned that the article was changed after the club had vetted it and they were not happy.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Didn't get to see this interview but right now Brad Scott is on Footy Classified.

Caro: Have you talked to Rodney Eade yet?
Brad: No he called but I was on another call at the time so haven't spoke yet..

Yeah sure Brad :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Didn't get to see this interview but right now Brad Scott is on Footy Classified.

Can you give us a summary of what was said by Brad on FC?

comrade
24-05-2010, 11:59 PM

It was Gieschen who called Scott, not Eade.

Bulldog4life
25-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Didn't he say 99% of the other players in the league:D

Yes that what he said.:)

Bulldog4life
25-05-2010, 12:26 AM

I thought it was Rocket that rang Scott too although might be mistaken.

choconmientay
25-05-2010, 08:52 AM

That's what I heard as well and was also amusing when Scott responded with a cheeky smile that "he was on the phone with another caller and could not ;) respond"

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 08:58 AM
You know what, IMO, the wash up of this will be that the Norf coach and players will end up looking like lying d**kheads, and Bulldogs will have all moved on! Gotta love that:D

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 09:01 AM

I love this part, because the footage also clearly shows Thompson putting his hands around Baz's neck in a strangely strangle-like hold. I wouldn't have thought that someone who is nearly passing out would have the strength to do that! What a w***ker!

chef
25-05-2010, 09:09 AM
I thought it was Rocket that rang Scott too although might be mistaken.

No, they were talking about Giesh.

I can't see Scott bagging out the opposition team or players before a game again.

choconmientay
25-05-2010, 09:12 AM
No, they were talking about Giesh.

I can't see Scott bagging out the opposition team or players before a game again.

Hehehhe, he learned his lesson the hard way :D

Go_Dogs
25-05-2010, 09:39 AM

First hand, Brad?

Maybe Scott just doesn't know the actual meaning of the term "first-hand"...:rolleyes:;)

When I initially heard Scott's comments, I thought he was referencing "first hand" because of what had happened at Brisbane, rather than there being a current issue with the Bulldogs - or having any first hand knowledge with regards to that.

Great to read the comments about what was said last night. Very pleased in the manner in which the club has handled this issue. Great stuff. :)

Mofra
25-05-2010, 10:09 AM
So let me get this straight:

- We rest Higgins for a game
- Flog the Roos by 70 points
- Rest in the 4th quarter with icing tactics/tempo football
- Hall cops a fine and the sympathy of the umpiring fraternity (:eek:)
- Hall is free to play next week
- We get positive attention and the Roos look like sore losers/bastards
- Eade publically backs his players a number of times and is backed up by almost everyone in the football community
- Kangaroos Premiership player writes a letter to his club demanding an apology for the tactics used
- Wayne Carey publically supports Hall

What else can anyone say except for "Go Doogies"?

Curly5
25-05-2010, 10:14 AM
All this has resulted in a resounding win for our club, as well as the 4 points. :) I'd say it's brought them all together as never before, and in a quiet yet powerful way.

Just about everyone writing columns (except Barrett, Anderson and Sheahan) has been very supportive and anti-North, including even former North players:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/we-owe-barry-hall-an-apology/story-e6frf9jf-1225870791695

Even Sheahan has back-tracked a bit:

"As I said in the Herald Sun yesterday, this problem arose because the field umpires failed to intervene earlier.
Thompson is broadly seen to have gone too far, but defenders as a species believe they've gone "too far" only when an umpire penalises them.
The umpiring department announced a crackdown on defenders mauling opponents off the ball late last season.
Now we're going to have another one. Why don't we have a crackdown on authorities who fail to crack down on their promised crackdowns?"

Now we must capitalise on our moral victory and use it as a springboard for the rest of the season.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 01:40 PM
… Even Sheahan has back-tracked a bit: …

What a surprise. :)

I agree with Curly5, overall, I think both issues this week have helped to bring the team together. Aker's column has not only made the club circle wagons, but has probably brought an issue to the fore in a way the leadership group can address it without looking like a nanny-state — it's quite obvious many of our players are uncomfortable with Aker The Walking Headline, and would rather just have Aker The Best Crumbing Forward Of All Time.

Then, to consolidate this, Scott does us a favour and revs us up, making the players stand together beside Aker and helping ensure there's no split amongst our group.

THEN, to help us even further, we all circle wagons a second time and stick up for The Baz.

What we are left with after a pretty tumultuous week for the red, white and blue is a solid, unified playing group, with many of our best 22 on the way back from injury or form concerns — except maybe Murphy, we're sitting in fourth spot on the ladder, and until now we haven't even hit top gear. We're sitting second in the comp for quarters won behind the reigning premiers, have a healthy enough percentage for this stage of the season and now Barry Hall will be watched by umpires to ensure he's not illegally niggled.

SWEET!

P.S. Let's just hope Barry draws Fletcher and not Pears on Friday night.

stefoid
25-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Oh, Rocket did get them to run the tape slowly of Baz "allegedly" strangling Thompson, and you can clearly see that Baz has his arms up around Thompson's jawline, not around his neck! At no time was he is danger of choking!

I dont care one way or another, but out of curiosity, its quicker to send someone to sleep by applying pressure to their neck artery (carotoid?) than by windpipe... no blood flow to that half of the brain and its lights out in a few seconds. You see this in UFC from time to time.

Not suggesting that baz had that in mind...

chef
25-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I dont care one way or another, but out of curiosity, its quicker to send someone to sleep by applying pressure to their neck artery (carotoid?) than by windpipe... no blood flow to that half of the brain and its lights out in a few seconds. You see this in UFC from time to time.

Not suggesting that baz had that in mind...

Hall's arm was across Thompson jaw, not his neck.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 03:16 PM
So let me get this straight:

- We rest Higgins for a game
- Flog the Roos by 70 points
- Rest in the 4th quarter with icing tactics/tempo football
- Hall cops a fine and the sympathy of the umpiring fraternity (:eek:)
- Hall is free to play next week
- We get positive attention and the Roos look like sore losers/bastards
- Eade publically backs his players a number of times and is backed up by almost everyone in the football community
- Kangaroos Premiership player writes a letter to his club demanding an apology for the tactics used
- Wayne Carey publically supports Hall

What else can anyone say except for "Go Doogies"?

A good summary, I think after a few days of worry we have definately benefitted from the experience.