PDA

View Full Version : The Forgotten Men

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Tim Callan and Steve Tiller

Now they have more than their share of knockers, but what we do know is that Callan when fit has been selected in the biggest games we've played in the past two seasons.

And Tiller was selected in 2008 but has hardly been fit since

Where are they at?

Does anyone see them potentially bobbing up between now and September?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Tim Callan and Steve Tiller

Now they have more than their share of knockers, but what we do know is that Callan when fit has been selected in the biggest games we've played in the past two seasons.

And Tiller was selected in 2008 but has hardly been fit since

Where are they at?

Does anyone see them potentially bobbing up between now and September?

I highly doubt it.

Harbrow/Addison are ahead of Callan as a small defender, and Reid is as an inside midfielder. Everitt/Grant are ahead of Tiller as a respective back and forward.

Tiller might get another year but I would think Callan will struggle to maintain a position on our list by the year's end. Tiller's problem is that Williams and Everitt are now well ahead of him in the pecking order as a defender. Grant has stepped up as a forward and although they play different roles, Stack would be picked before Stevie too. His best chance is to play well in the VFL, put in a big pre-season and make a case for next year when Johnson/Aker are gone.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Really feel for Tiller, as in 2008 i thought he played well in finals. Especially during the game against Hawthorn, he was one of the few that actually put his hand up & had a crack. I was really hoping that it would kick on his career after that, but sadly he hasn't been able to get his body right.

A fit Tiller & a run of games under his belt, has proven he is capable of handling AFL footy.

Callan will probably play this year if an emergency pops up, in terms of injuries to key players. Besides that, i would be surprised if he stayed on again next season, although he is a handy backup.

alwaysadog
25-05-2010, 02:06 AM
I highly doubt it.

Harbrow/Addison are ahead of Callan as a small defender, and Reid is as an inside midfielder. Everitt/Grant are ahead of Tiller as a respective back and forward.

Tiller might get another year but I would think Callan will struggle to maintain a position on our list by the year's end. Tiller's problem is that Williams and Everitt are now well ahead of him in the pecking order as a defender. Grant has stepped up as a forward and although they play different roles, Stack would be picked before Stevie too. His best chance is to play well in the VFL, put in a big pre-season and make a case for next year when Johnson/Aker are gone.

Funny that this time last year Rocket said Tiller was in our best 25 and he had a very good 2008 final's campaign... and Callan you have going from being a preferred finals player six months ago or so ago to not on our list in six months time.

wb_age
25-05-2010, 02:33 AM
I guess this really reflects the undeniable cosequence of a long term injury at the wrong time and the progress of our youngsters this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Funny that this time last year Rocket said Tiller was in our best 25 and he had a very good 2008 final's campaign... and Callan you have going from being a preferred finals player six months ago or so ago to not on our list in six months time.

With Grant, Everitt, Roughead and even Williams either injured or not ready, Tiller probably was in our best 25. However, aside from that finals campaign he really hasn't done enough at AFL level. Since last year, we've had a number of players either recruited/develop. Grant, Stack, Williams, Everitt, Moles, Reid and possibly Wood included. At the same time, Tiller's had a bad run with injuries so he hasn't had much of an opportunity to prove his worth in the past 12 months. It's why he will probably be kept on the list in the hope that he can regain the late '08 touch.

I've never really been in support of Callan, primarily because he can't hold his feet in a contest. Addison and even Wood can probably offer us more in a similar role. Harbrow has emerged as a quality small defender too. If we got injuries, he may get a look in but he played average in the PF v St. Kilda and hasn't done a whole lot at VFL level by all reports.

Typifies our list at the moment. It's pretty strong with a good batch of young, developing players.

Go_Dogs
25-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm still hopeful of Tiller being able to play a role moving forward. He's a versatile player, goes hard at the ball and has good enough skills to make it. Could end up being a real swing man for us.

Will be interesting to see how the remainder of his year pans out, but unless he asks for a trade, I'd be keeping him on the list.

Callan isn't as versatile, and given that he could not get himself into the side when Picken went out tends to tell me his cards have been stamped. He's handy for depth, and should we lose a couple of small defenders I've got no doubt he can play a role, but certainly, a few have moved past him.

Mofra
25-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm an unashamed Tiller fan, but Everitt has clearly overtaken him this year with a mixture of hard work by Skinny and bad luck for Stevie.

I'm not writing off Callan yet - he can play on smalls with agility better than DFA can, even though DFA has lifted in two areas I have been critical in the past of - overhead judgement and disposal. Depending on what happens with Harbrow, Callan may still have a role to play at this club next year.

soupman
25-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I think Callan is gone. He is the one player on our list that I can't possibly envisage being in our best 25 players either this year or coming seasons.

He is limited to one position, that of a small defender. However, he continually loses his feet at crucial moments and his disposal is very questionable. His only hope for next season is if Harbrow goes, and even then I think i would rather play a Wood, Tutt, Howard or try and look at some draftee's.

As for Tiller, I like him. He is a tallish player that can play both ends and is tough. His 2008 finals series demonstrated that he can perform at AFL level and if we had've beaten Geelong in that prelim he would have been a Grand Final player. I think if he can get fit he could offer us some value, but thats a big if. His other major issue is that he is going to find it difficult to secure a spot in our side ahead of the other young guys coming through, especially as I think we would like to get games into all of Mulligan, Boumann and Jones as well. I think he should look at either the Gold Coast next season or stick with us for another year and if it fails move to West Sydney.

chef
25-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I think Callan is gone. He is the one player on our list that I can't possibly envisage being in our best 25 players either this year or coming seasons.

IMO this will come down to whether Harbrow stays or goes. If Jarrod leaves Tim will be needed to play in the back pocket as we don't have much depth in this position.