PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview: Bulldogs vs Essendon Round 10

Mofra
25-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Bulldogs vs Essendon – Friday Night on the big stage at Collins is a Wanker Stadium.

Last time they met:

Round 16 - 17 Jul 2009.
Bulldogs 15.13 103 Def Essendon 11.4 70
Brownlow votes: 3 Hahn 2 Higgins 1 Cross

The Bombers were looking to play finals for the first time under Knights’ tenure. The Bulldogs were hoping that they didn’t repeat another end of season fade-out. Fortunately for the good guys the game went to script, with Johnson getting leather poisoning and Cooney, Griffen, Boyd & Cross getting mild doses as well. Hahn nailed a lazy 5 goals whilst Scott Welsh chipped in with 3.

For the Bombers the now departed Lovett was their top ball winner with 27 disposals, whilst the now retired Lloyd was their only multiple goalkicker with 2. Goody.

Form leading in:

The Bulldogs have managed to slip completely under the media radar in the last two weeks, so it’s probably worth mentioning something here. The Bulldogs started the year slowly, with the intensity picking up in Round 5 and the team putting away the Swans and Norf in the past two weeks. They have won 4 of the past 5, with a 3 point loss to the Aints the only blemish in this time.

Essendon have been in decent form of late with 3 wins from their last 4 games, the only loss being a 3 point thriller against port. Although two wins were against a mojo-less Hawk outfit and the Richmond under 12s last week, their defeat of Sook Kilda was rather impressive.

Ins and Outs:

Essendon have two worries with Fletcher suffering back spasms and is no certainty to play (“should start” according to the Bombres), whilst promising youngster Melksham has a problem with an ankle and will miss. Hooker (another tall back option) will miss with a hammy. Who comes in? No idea. Nobody really cares about the Bombers except for their own fans and some Hawk ferals anyway so we’ll wait for Thursday. All I know is that the Bendigo coach is probably too sloshed to offer much help to the Bombers' match committee.

The Bulldogs should regain Higgins, although at the expense of whom will be a selection dilemma with no obvious candidate exists after the 70 point drubbing which included a 4th quarter keepings off game to keep the crowd entertained. Everitt may come into the match committee’s sights however I’m expecting just the one change. DFA & Gia should pull up ok after facial mashing, whilst Hall may have some forearm bruising from Thompson’s head but should be ok to play.

Where the game will be won and lost (Bulldogs view):

Backline: Fascinating duel likely between Gumbleton/ Hurley and Lake/Morris, however Essendon did rely on resting ruckmen for the major portion of their scoring last week so expect Tommy to be given more responsibility this week. As for match ups, in the absence of the emo Shaggy may well get Zaharakis, with Harbrow taking the dangerous Jetta. The last spot in defence may be rotated, with Dylan likely to beat up whoever else Essendon deem unlucky enough to play there.

Rucks: Hille & Ryder can form a formidable combination, however Hudson has been in steller form this season and should feel confident about getting the job done in close. Minson has also been surprisingly effective in his past two games, provided he doesn’t have too much time to think (yup – he does play better on instinct).

Midfield: Watson is elite. There, I said it. I know Picken is back in the side as no 1 tagger, however Boyd is also a clearance machine and I’d try putting someone on Watson who can hurt you going the other way. The Bombers midfield is relatively blue collar with Prismall in good form, McVeigh can be damaging so he’s my first target for Picken with DFA second,, and the lightening quick Winderlich having disposal problems over the past month. In a completely unbiased opinion, this is where the Bulldogs should seek to gain an advantage – the silk of Cooney, Griffen, Gia and Higgins will present a headache for Knights & co.

Forwards: Hall will have either Fletcher or Pears to deal with – I’ll guess Fletcher (if he plays) will get first crack as Hall stays closer to goal these days, Pears to take Hahn, while Atkinson has the height to compete with Grant in the air so I’ll put him there. The Bulldogs would be hoping the Bombers follow the lead of being too Bazza-conscious, allowing Hill & Stack to mop up when the ball hits the deck. I’m guessing the Bombers wish Hooker was fit enough to give them another option to cover a resting ruckman or allow Fletcher to play loose & zone off. Essendon have already declared they won’t try to go the niggle on Barry – I expect some words to be spoken and if there is any niggle, the Bulldogs players to be a little more vigilant in helping out lil’ Baz.

Where the game will be won and lost (Essendon view):

I simply don’t know. They are a young side that is decent around the ground but I really don’t rate their midfield at all. They will be hoping Ryder slips under the guard and runs off Hudson/Minson, however if Tommy is on the ball and Lake times his zoning off effectively (and he is in fantastic form) this should cut their scoring down from the Bumbers ruckmen.

How will it play out?

The Bulldogs smell blood, should be fresh from only playing 3 quarters last week and are starting to hit top form. The Bombles have been playing well in recent times although both sides have had wins against also-rans.

I simply think Cooney & Griffen are running well with our defensive unit playing tightly and a forwardline that is multi-pronged for any team focussing on Bazza too much. We won’t have the luxury of the long Bomb in trouble with Fletcher patrolling the 50 so repeated efforts to present by Grant, Hahn, Stack & Hill will be important. The Bulldogs will put extra effort into the resting ruck scenario which should curb the Bombers’ ability to kick a winning score.

The Verdict:

Bulldogs by 35.

Woof.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Interesting stuff Mofra

Monfries is the other one up forward who can be a pest, and I guess Mark Williams might also come under consideration and I guess Hargrave and Morris would probably appropriate for either one

They are a very quick team, and if we dont curtail that, and win enough hard ball we could be chasing a lot of backside: Atkinson, Dempsey, Lovett-Murray, Jetta, Colier, Melksham etc are very quick

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I watch Essendon fairly closely as half my family is absolutely-Bomber-crazy, and I don't have or believe in a second team, but if I did they'd be it. Ryder is an absolute gun and very easily underestimated — it's not just in the ruck that he presents a danger but across the ground in marking contests he is a sight to behold when he's up and about.

I'm not Knights so who knows, but I don't think Fletcher will draw The Baz. I think Knights will trust the job to Pears, who is an outstanding defender and has the run to keep up with Barry. Fletcher can then float free to mop up any ball that doesn't hit Barry chest-height, laces out on the lead.

Watson is the worry, with the Dogs midfield we should be able to send enough ball back our way to counter it, but there's really no stopping him unless you sacrifice a quality player to the tagging role. Time just stands still for this bloke when he touches the footy, and he reminds me of Hird in that manner.

Where I think the game will be won is in playing a fast attacking game backed up by solid defence and solid skills. Merely running for our lives and peppering the goals may not be enough, as Essendon will be striving for those conditions also, in front of a home crowd, so I think skill in the disposal is where we can put the Bombers away. The sacrifice they'll make to run with us and create that fast-style play will be a looseness around the man, so our scoreboard should reflect our skill efficiency either way.

If we play a careful, find-the-way-forward-at-leisure game, though, we run the risk of having a St Kilda-repeat. If we worry about having to back it up to play Collingwood next week (albeit with a nine day break that Malthouse will certainly bemoan), again, run the risk of coughing up the points.

So even though I hate the term, “danger game” this most certainly is.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Usually Eade tags the player that can do the most damage by hand or foot. With Watson in great form surely Picken has to get the job. Any information Ozza?

Mantis
25-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Usually Eade tags the player that can do the most damage by hand or foot. With Watson in great form surely Picken has to get the job. Any information Ozza?

I would think that Picken would go to Stanton.

Boyd and Cross seem the best fit for a negating role on Watson.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks Moffra - interesting reading but I must admit I had trouble getting past the Sook Kilda crack (and a couple of others). Very funny :D

As for the game, it will be interesting. The little I have seen of the Bombers is that they kinda remind me of the doggies a few years ago - lightening quick with a lot of young, and slender bodied men? However, we have now developed into a quick and very strong-bodied side (with a couple of exceptions). And, surely cream will always rise to the top - Cooney, Boyd, Griff should take the game by the scruff of the neck and power us home;)

Bulldog Joe
25-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I think Cross head to head with Watson will suit us fine. Did the job last year.

Important game for Tommy to stand up to help counter the Hille/Ryder resting tall with Lake.

LostDoggy
25-05-2010, 11:46 PM
GOODY! ;)
Another great Preview on the best doggies forum on the net :)

bornadog
26-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Nice one Mofra.

This game will be similar to last year where Essendon thought they could run and move the ball quickly, but our defensive pressure is even better than last year, and with the resulting turnovers, we will put them away. Unlike the Saints, we have scoring power.

firstdogonthemoon
26-05-2010, 12:32 AM
You are funny

EasternWest
26-05-2010, 12:49 AM
I always worry against fast teams that we will get sucked into a shootout style (see Carlton game a few years back when we were caning them up to half time, then lost). This could be a real danger game. I think we should look to impose ourselves on them physically, a few hard hits to young bodies (fairly, of course) can intimidate and deflate confidence. Shop early to avoid the rush :).

Mofra
26-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I always worry against fast teams that we will get sucked into a shootout style (see Carlton game a few years back when we were caning them up to half time, then lost). This could be a real danger game. I think we should look to impose ourselves on them physically, a few hard hits to young bodies (fairly, of course) can intimidate and deflate confidence.
Ryder is one we need to try and work over. He is quicker than Hudson/Minson and is versatile enough to plug holes anywhere on the ground (playing KPP earlier in his career).

As BR has mentioned, I had completely missed Williams who can be damaging forward. Could be a candidate for Shaggy and if he gets away Morris as plan B.

Mantis
26-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Good work Mofra.

On the Picken to McVeigh call on the bits I have seen of Essendon and what I have heard M.M. has been playing as a small defender over the past month. Do you think they will throw him into the midfield for this one?

Mofra
26-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Good work Mofra.

On the Picken to McVeigh call on the bits I have seen of Essendon and what I have heard M.M. has been playing as a small defender over the past month. Do you think they will throw him into the midfield for this one?
Honestly I haven't seen too much of the Bombers this season, but to tell you the truth I think Picken will rotate through a couple of players as per last week. He is a supremely fit guy but match fitness will need to be brought back over time. Watson is the midfielder I'm most concerned with and I would think a Boyd/Cross is better placed to deal with him. If our running power starts to become a concern for Knights, I'm sure McVeigh will be a plan B midfield rotation.

If we're up by a decent amount in the 4th I'd like to see Picken rested as he will be vital for us against Collingwood.

Mantis
26-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Honestly I haven't seen too much of the Bombers this season, but to tell you the truth I think Picken will rotate through a couple of players as per last week. He is a supremely fit guy but match fitness will need to be brought back over time. Watson is the midfielder I'm most concerned with and I would think a Boyd/Cross is better placed to deal with him. If our running power starts to become a concern for Knights, I'm sure McVeigh will be a plan B midfield rotation.

If we're up by a decent amount in the 4th I'd like to see Picken rested as he will be vital for us against Collingwood.

Personally I would like to see Picken have a good tough match to bring back this match fitness. We have an 8 day break after this weeks game so I think he could really do with a good 'blow out'.

I would like to see Picko go to Stanton who is their best 'outside' player and a player who Essendon like to play through as he is a good distributor by foot.

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 10:44 AM
McVeigh will play us in our soft spot at centre half forward, and try to create rebound from their centre half back. If we put Cross on Watson, Picken on Stanton, I'd be happy with that, because we have Griff, Cooney etc to keep the run going.

It's going to be a close game, so I don't see Picken (or any player) being rested for Collingwood. If we do thrash 'em, will be putting an extra $100 down on the flag.

Mantis
26-05-2010, 11:35 AM
McVeigh will play us in our soft spot at centre half forward, and try to create rebound from their centre half back. If we put Cross on Watson, Picken on Stanton, I'd be happy with that, because we have Griff, Cooney etc to keep the run going.

With Grant & Stack adding more pressure coming out of our F50 this soft spot hasn't been as evident over the past couple of weeks.

It's going to be a close game, so I don't see Picken (or any player) being rested for Collingwood. If we do thrash 'em, will be putting an extra $100 down on the flag.

I'm not sure how beating a team many believe will finish in the bottom 8 increases the likelihood of a flag??

On top of that our odds will shorten if we win thrash 'em so if you are confident we will win the flag either back them now or wait til we lose a couple.

Mofra
26-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I would like to see Picko go to Stanton who is their best 'outside' player and a player who Essendon like to play through as he is a good distributor by foot.
Good call. I'll go with that match-up.

Ozza
26-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I agree with earlier posts - Picken will definitely go to Stanton. Makes sense that he would go to their best run, carry & long kicking player.

McVeigh has been playing as a genuine small defender - not overly attacking. Welsh will go to Cooney - but Coons has an exceptional record v Essendon. Apart from his 5th game ever where he only had 6 possies against them - Coons has never had less than 22 disposals against the bombers - and has picked up 3 votes, 3 times.

Sockeye Salmon
26-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Personally I would like to see Picken have a good tough match to bring back this match fitness. We have an 8 day break after this weeks game so I think he could really do with a good 'blow out'.

You've got to be joking!

Stanton is one of the worst ball-butchers in the AFL. If Stanton gets it 25 times, we'll win easily.

Mofra
26-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Stanton is one of the worst ball-butchers in the AFL. If Stanton gets it 25 times, we'll win easily.
Who else (quick) plays outside for them that isn't injured?
Winderlich can't hit the side of a barn this year.

EasternWest
26-05-2010, 01:06 PM
You've got to be joking!

Agreed. Hugely overrated.

Doc26
26-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Welsh will go to Cooney - but Coons has an exceptional record v Essendon. Apart from his 5th game ever where he only had 6 possies against them - Coons has never had less than 22 disposals against the bombers - and has picked up 3 votes, 3 times.

No he wont. Andrew Welsh remains out suspended for this match after his ludicrous appeal hearing failed.

Ozza
26-05-2010, 01:16 PM
No he wont. Andrew Welsh remains out suspended for this match after his ludicrous appeal hearing failed.

A-ha...I forgot Welsh was suspended. Cheers.

Mantis
26-05-2010, 01:19 PM
You've got to be joking!

Who then is the best 'fit' for Picken?

And hey I never said that Stanton is a star, but he is their best outside player... which I guess is akin to saying Chris Martin is NZ's best fast bowler in Test match cricket.

bulldogsman
26-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Davey, Jetta and Zaharakis should all trouble us with their speed, so I'd play Picken in the backline. We have the option of Addison playing as a tagger too.

If we can break even in the ruck then I think we should smash them in the midfield.

Doc26
26-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Our best stopper should go to Watson. I'd have Picken on him for quarter one. Boyd has become more damaging in an offensive role with his clearances ala Ablett. In Round 1 Geelong didn't hesitate tagging Watson out with their best stopper, Ling. Watson's effectiveness that evening was ~50% and his centre clearances were negated. Watson had to be moved to the forward line to get him into the game. We should strive for the same.

Mantis
26-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Our best stopper should go to Watson. I'd start Picken on him. Boyd has become more damaging in an offensive role with his clearances ala Ablett. In Round 1 Geelong didn't hesitate tagging Watson out with their best stopper, Ling. Watson's effectiveness that evening was ~50% and his centre clearances were negated. Watson had to be moved to the forward line to get him into the game. We should strive for the same.

Only problem is that Picken never plays on opponents who make their living off winning clearances. If Boyd isn't the man for the job then Cross has to play on Watson.

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 02:09 PM
With Grant & Stack adding more pressure coming out of our F50 this soft spot hasn't been as evident over the past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure how beating a team many believe will finish in the bottom 8 increases the likelihood of a flag??

On top of that our odds will shorten if we win thrash 'em so if you are confident we will win the flag either back them now or wait til we lose a couple.

I've backed them already. First I put $100 on the Bulldogs—Storm AFL/NRL double. Got my money back on that one :) then put it cleanly on the Dogs.

What I'm really trying to say is, if we thrash them it says good things for us, because those who're writing off the Bombers as a no-good team don't know what they're talking about.

always right
26-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Only problem is that Picken never plays on opponents who make their living off winning clearances. If Boyd isn't the man for the job then Cross has to play on Watson.

Spot on Mantis. Picken sometimes plays on the best player but more often than not picks up the opposition player who tends to fall out of the loop when clubs are deciding who to tag...Chance Bateman a good example.

Stanton may not be the most gifted but he gets plenty of the ball so Picken is his man as our other lock down players don't have the run to go with him.

Crossy (Boydy as back-up) to get Watson as Watson is one of the few players who Crossy can almost match in pace.

Addison to be given a role so I reckon he goes to Monfries who is an important lead up forward for the bombers but doesn't have the pace to worry Dylan that other bomber players have.

Harbrow to Davey although I suspect Davey will be instructed to stop Harbrow's run out of defence and hurt him offensively. This is a dangerous match-up for us.

Williams to Gumbleton and Morris to Hurley who has anormous pace for a tall player. Lake to take Ryder or Hille when they are resting forward.

Interesting to see who the bombers play on Cooney and Hahn who both love playing against Essendon. Hocking likely to get a job on one of our midfielders but doesn't have the pace to go with Cooney or Griff.

They're a dangerous team if we don't apply enough pressure but I think we have better match-ups for their stars than they do for ours.

stefoid
26-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Cross v Watson seems fair enough, he can fight watson for the scraps in close and watson wont be able to burn him on the burst.

Great news for Griffen and Higgins is that Cooney is now the clear target for a tag as he is in devestating form, so those guys can run free.

Picken to play on any bomber mid who seems to be getting more than his fair share at the time.

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Spot on Mantis. Picken sometimes plays on the best player but more often than not picks up the opposition player who tends to fall out of the loop when clubs are deciding who to tag...Chance Bateman a good example.

Stanton may not be the most gifted but he gets plenty of the ball so Picken is his man as our other lock down players don't have the run to go with him.

Crossy (Boydy as back-up) to get Watson as Watson is one of the few players who Crossy can almost match in pace.

Addison to be given a role so I reckon he goes to Monfries who is an important lead up forward for the bombers but doesn't have the pace to worry Dylan that other bomber players have.

Harbrow to Davey although I suspect Davey will be instructed to stop Harbrow's run out of defence and hurt him offensively. This is a dangerous match-up for us.

Williams to Gumbleton and Morris to Hurley who has anormous pace for a tall player. Lake to take Ryder or Hille when they are resting forward.

Interesting to see who the bombers play on Cooney and Hahn who both love playing against Essendon. Hocking likely to get a job on one of our midfielders but doesn't have the pace to go with Cooney or Griff.

They're a dangerous team if we don't apply enough pressure but I think we have better match-ups for their stars than they do for ours.

Had massive argument with my uncle at Christmas over who was better, Watson or Cross, so we pulled out the AFL Season Record, crunched the stats, put together this massive spreadsheet looking at opposition, conditions, etc etc

Cross won. :)

Rocco Jones
26-05-2010, 08:50 PM
There has been some interesting discussion on who Picken will get on Friday night.

I think a lot of fans incorrectly bundle all 'taggers' into the same basket. Inside and outside tags are very different roles and Picken is clearly an outside tag type.

I agree Stanton's disposal isn't much but there's more than one way to skin a cat. He has a good tank (although it looked a lot better last year), knows where the ball is and also has a good grasp on his limitations. Without wanting to add the enormous amount of cliches I have already posted, going unchecked he can be a death by a thousand cuts type damaging player. A bit like Picken's role on Bateman.

I think a big part to selecting who to tag that often gets ignored is how much a player is actually affected by a tag. I think Stanton isn't great with handing a close checker (strong up against a run with type).

anfo27
26-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Agree with all your match ups as i thought the same thing. Hurley has been playing back the last few weeks with Hooker being injured so I think he is likely to start there maybe getting Hahn.

We can't afford to lose this one as I have far too many friends who follow that scum and I won't hear the end of it.

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 11:05 PM
There has been some interesting discussion on who Picken will get on Friday night.

I think a lot of fans incorrectly bundle all 'taggers' into the same basket. Inside and outside tags are very different roles and Picken is clearly an outside tag type.

I don't actually think there's such a thing as an 'inside' tagger. If you're going head to head to get the loose ball isn't it just hard ball winning inside? Guys like Ling and Kirk get the 'inside tag' label but I see them as just hard ball winners who get it before their opponent does, but have the ability to tackle their man if they don't get the ball first. Boydy is exactly the same except that Ling is more maniacal in the tackle.

Like I've said elsewhere, I think the only player whom the 'inside tagger' label fits is Clinton Jones, because he's allowed to get away with murder in sniping his opponents without having to bother about the ball.

Doc26
26-05-2010, 11:43 PM

I think fans can be more prone to pigeon holing players with such labels.

Why is Picken clearly an 'outside' tag player with the implication being that he can't perform an 'inside' role ? Is it simply because often he is assigned shutdown roles on the 'out of the loop' likes of Didak, Harvey, Deledio etc ? Is it because some view that he's not as good as others in winning his own hard ball ? Or possibly because with Crossy there may be less adaptability with him to play on the abovementioned types ? The later I could understand.

I just believe we're selling Liam short if he's labelled in such a way. I believe he's a lot better than this and can't see why he couldn't perform a similar job to what Bartel did on St Kilda's 'inside' specialist Lenny Hayes in the second half of the GF. This kid has been passed over by many before. To the Dogs credit we saw something others ultimately didn't. We shouldn't fall into the same trap by labelling him as a player that can't be ultra effective in shutting down players that make a living out of winning clearances.

always right
27-05-2010, 08:43 AM

I'm not "labelling" Picken in any way. I've seen how Eade likes to use Picken and as a result I think Stanton is his most likely match-up. Pretty straight forward really.

Mofra
27-05-2010, 09:59 AM
It would be an interesting thread on its own to classify taggers. Picken isn't a pure stopper for mine - he can hurt you the other way as he does get quite a surprising amount of penetration on his kicks. Delideo tried dragging him to our F50 last year to become the Richmond rebounder, and Picken kicked two goals as a result (one was ~50m off a couple of steps).

I'd agree with the assessment of outside tagger simply because he can kick the ball better than most taggers in the game today.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Who is Shaggy?
Who is Emo?

Norf! love it. Very funny write up.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Why is Picken clearly an 'outside' tag player with the implication being that he can't perform an 'inside' role ? To the Dogs credit we saw something others ultimately didn't. .

Agree with this. We have a lot of these 'unsung heroes ' at western bulldogs.

Mofra
27-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Who is Shaggy?
Who is Emo?

Norf! love it. Very funny write up.
Shaggy = Ryan Hargrave
emo = Kyle Reimers of the fluoro boots

stefoid
27-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I think a big part to selecting who to tag that often gets ignored is how much a player is actually affected by a tag. I think Stanton isn't great with handing a close checker (strong up against a run with type).

yeah, youre right - Eade hasnt been tagging the likes of Ablett etc... who get tagged every week and just deal with it. Its like being a player down if ablett gets his 30+ touches and your tagger gets stuff all. Much better to let Boyd or Griff go head to head with Ablett and let Picken blanket the opposition player who can be very dangerous IF you let him.

Sedat
28-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Love your work Mofra - you're right about Essendon. They were a media darling for a long time but the've definitely lost their lustre in the last few years.

Unconfirmed reports that Hahn slept in the changerooms at Etihad Stadium last night so that he could get to the game as early as possible. If there's one opponent that Hahn bashes up for fun, it's the Bombers. Factor in Hall and there's significant match-up headaches for the Essendon defence, particularly if Watson is well-held (as he has been in recent Dogs matches) and the Dogs win the midfield clearance battle.

Dons have pace to burn across most lines so it is vital that we are clean with our skill - if we are and if we at least break even in the ruck duels, I cannot see how Essendon can win tonight.

Mofra
28-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Dons have pace to burn across most lines so it is vital that we are clean with our skill - if we are and if we at least break even in the ruck duels, I cannot see how Essendon can win tonight.
Sums it up. I think that our speed of ball movement will counter any pace advantage they may try to exploit - if we didn't have Grant & Stack as forwards I would be worried about their rebound but both players have been very good with their defensive pressure this year.

Mantis
28-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Unconfirmed reports that Hahn slept in the changerooms at Etihad Stadium last night so that he could get to the game as early as possible. If there's one opponent that Hahn bashes up for fun, it's the Bombers. Factor in Hall and there's significant match-up headaches for the Essendon defence, particularly if Watson is well-held (as he has been in recent Dogs matches) and the Dogs win the midfield clearance battle.

Apparentely he got mates rate from Lenny Hayes who uses the same bed before he plays us.

They may have the pace, but their kicking in general is poor which is why our defensive pressure (as Mofra explained) needs be at a consistent level.

Our young fella's really need to continue on with the form they have previously shown because if they drop off with their defensive efforts we could get burnt on the counter. In saying that our back 6 have been great after a poor effort in round 1 (didn't help that half of them were sick) so I am confident they can withstand the pressure Essendon applies.

Greystache
28-05-2010, 02:31 PM

That's the commonly held view, but as has been the case with us I don't necessarily think it's true. Sure they have their share of quick players, but with exception of a couple eg Dempsey and Winderlich, they are mostly fringe players such as Davey, Jetta and Zaharakis. If anything their key players are a touch on the slow side such as Watson, Stanton, Prismall, Lovet-Murray, Lonergan, Dyson, Monfries, with even McVeigh lacking a yard these days, but again similar to us they play a quick ball movement and run and spread style that somewhat disguises this.

Lovett was probably their only genuinely quick star. Personally I think Knights has built a game style suited to the type of players they lack and they need to really develop the defensive and contested ball winning side of their game if they're going to get better.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I think you all underestimate them, and as I said in a previous post, many have done so to their peril. Ask any of Lyon, Malthouse, Ratten, etc and they'll all tell you, this is a sneaky shit of a team that can bite you if you're snoozing.

If you're on top of your game, yeah, we'll drill ’em new airholes, but otherwise…

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I think you all underestimate them, and as I said in a previous post, many have done so to their peril. Ask any of Lyon, Malthouse, Ratten, etc and they'll all tell you, this is a sneaky shit of a team that can bite you if you're snoozing.

If you're on top of your game, yeah, we'll drill ’em new airholes, but otherwise…

AHHHHH!! you're makin me nervous! shit i hope we win, we really need to keep building momentum from here on in.

Gonna be a such a shitfight for a top 4 spot, games like tonight are must wins.

Almost time for a beer to calm my nerves before heading off :D

Ozza
28-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I love Friday night games!

I'm not nervous about tonight at all - Essendon haven't beaten us in 5 years and they won't turn the tables tonight. As someone who grew up in the heart of Essendon - I'm thoroughly looking fwd to our boys giving them a hiding!

Greystache
28-05-2010, 05:26 PM

My GF and her family are fanatic Essendon supporters, and being an AFL member I regularly go with them to games. I saw 8 live last year and tonight will be the 5th time I’ve seen them this year. The are the epitome of kamikaze football, while not overly quick or skilful they run forward in waves with no regard for what happens if they turn it over. When it all clicks they are capable of beating anyone, but more often than not they’re approach goes arwry, wether is be for a whole match, a quarter, or even a 15 minute period, and they have no plan B. They routinely have successions of goals kicked against them, because they don’t know how to play tempo football when the opposition has the ascendency.

So yes, we need to be cautious of them, and if it’s their day they’ll be hard to stop, but realistically if we can gain the ascendency early we’ll blow them away, and if we can’t we just need to be conservative and make them pay on the rebound.

PS, Collingwood destroyed them this year on ANZAC day and in their second meeting last year.

Ozza
28-05-2010, 05:29 PM
My GF and her family are fanatic Essendon supporters, and being an AFL member I regularly go with them to games. I saw 8 live last year and tonight will be the 5th time I’ve seen them this year. The are the epitome of kamikaze football, while not overly quick or skilful they run forward in waves with no regard for what happens if they turn it over. When it all clicks they are capable of beating anyone, but more often than not they’re approach goes arwry, wether is be for a whole match, a quarter, or even a 15 minute period, and they have no plan B. They routinely have successions of goals kicked against them, because they don’t know how to play tempo football when the opposition has the ascendency.

So yes, we need to be cautious of them, and if it’s their day they’ll be hard to stop, but realistically if we can gain the ascendency early we’ll blow them away, and if we can’t we just need to be conservative and make them pay on the rebound.

PS, Collingwood destroyed them this year on ANZAC day and in their second meeting last year.

Good to hear the insights from watching them closely. Nice work greystache.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Good discussion and agree that Essendon are a dangerous side, despite not really being a quality one. Inconsistent they are, but players like Watson, Winderlich, Ryder, Monfries and Hurley can be very good when they are on.

It's a good test for Tommy Williams. I suspect he'll play on one of Hurley or Gumbleton, most likely the latter. Both still young and improving, having solid seasons to date - should be a good contest.

Hahn certainly does enjoy playing against Essendon. I wonder if they've put any time into stopping him.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 05:48 PM

Good insight, Greystache, but if you've watched their last 5 weeks, they've actually tightened up considerably going the other way. Their back 6 no longer run upfield like headless chooks, and they keep quite a few more mids goal-side of the ball when in dispute. As a result, their 'goals against' column has looked healthier, ESPECIALLY in the consecutive goals conceded stakes. Getting the balance right, slowly but surely.

Greystache
28-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Good insight, Greystache, but if you've watched their last 5 weeks, they've actually tightened up considerably going the other way. Their back 6 no longer run upfield like headless chooks, and they keep quite a few more mids goal-side of the ball when in dispute. As a result, their 'goals against' column has looked healthier, ESPECIALLY in the consecutive goals conceded stakes. Getting the balance right, slowly but surely.

True, they got a bit of a shock after ANZAC day, but they're still not great in that area. Richmond managed to kick back to back goals routinely in the 2nd half last week, and that's RICHMOND!!

They are fun to watch I have to say, they're basically the antithesis of St Kilda and that has to be a good thing!

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 06:02 PM
True, they got a bit of a shock after ANZAC day, but they're still not great in that area. Richmond managed to kick back to back goals routinely in the 2nd half last week, and that's RICHMOND!!

They are fun to watch I have to say, they're basically the antithesis of St Kilda and that has to be a good thing!

And also seem to be the Saints bogey side! Weird how some teams just manage to match up better on others.

Mantis
29-05-2010, 12:15 AM
You've got to be joking!

He got it 32 times and he was one of the main reasons why they controlled the game.

Always easy to say 'I told you so'... but proof is in the pudding.

Sockeye Salmon
29-05-2010, 10:27 PM
He got it 32 times and he was one of the main reasons why they controlled the game.

Always easy to say 'I told you so'... but proof is in the pudding.

He still butchered it a lot, though, just not enough.