PDA

View Full Version : Things to do while watching the Dogs from home

Throughandthrough
27-05-2010, 12:15 PM
OK, as one of the interstate fans, i only get to see the Dogs live once or twice a year, but i try and watch them live with my son on tv whenever we can (or nearly live)

So that our family can enjoy the experience, i need a check list of things that must be said when player X gets the ball.

A few are easy "Cooooooooooooon"

"BARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY"

what else is regularly yelled out at the footy, for those playing along at home?

jazzadogs
27-05-2010, 12:20 PM
If you're not shouting "BALL" a minimum of 15 times per quarter, you're not doing your duty.

If you want to pretend that you know nothing about football, scream "DON'T KICK IT BACKWARDS!" or "WE'RE GOING THE OTHER WAY!" anytime the team attempts to switch play.

EasternWest
27-05-2010, 12:23 PM
If you're not shouting "BALL" a minimum of 15 times per quarter, you're not doing your duty.

If you want to pretend that you know nothing about football, scream "DON'T KICK IT BACKWARDS!" or "WE'RE GOING THE OTHER WAY!" anytime the team attempts to switch play.

Never a truer statement has been said.

Greystache
27-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Or when we're linking a chain of handballs through the corridor to break up the zone or are waiting for the forwards to get back inside forward 50, shout "kick it, kick it, KICK IT!!" then when said players kicks into the waiting arms of 4 opposition defenders shout "Ohh, WHO TO!!"

Curly5
27-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Every time Baz takes a mark or kicks a goal I chant "Barreeee, Barreeee, Barreee....." as many times as it takes to annoy the Geelong supporter who lives in my house. ;)

mjp
27-05-2010, 02:23 PM

...scream 'BAAAALLLLLLL' every time a tackle is laid.

Sockeye Salmon
27-05-2010, 02:24 PM
When we are on our way to the ground, my 6yo always tries to guess how many goals Barry is going to kick - he's fairly optimistic and usually is in the 8-12 range.

On the way to the Richmond match he came out with; "Dad, I think Barry will kick 93 goals, I don't think he can kick 100, not even against Richmond".

ledge
27-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Also get rid of the Mrs for the 2 hours to avoid silly questions or statements like "what do you want for tea" or "your cars on fire" or maybe even "the house is being robbed"
Ladies also tend to want to vacuum the bit right in front of the telly just as Hall is about to headlock someone.
I know its not along the guidlines of what to say but its from experience of football on tv at home.

LostDoggy
27-05-2010, 02:34 PM
OK, as one of the interstate fans, i only get to see the Dogs live once or twice a year, but i try and watch them live with my son on tv whenever we can (or nearly live)

So that our family can enjoy the experience, i need a check list of things that must be said when player X gets the ball.

A few are easy "Cooooooooooooon"

"BARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY"

what else is regularly yelled out at the footy, for those playing along at home?

What, so you can shout at the TV?!

Don't worry, I'm also an interstater, and I voice my support wherever I happen to be watching, but yelling at a screen always feels a bit futile. Except for a Dogs goal, in which case a loud 'Woof Woof', repeated as often as necessary, shouldn't cause any embarrassment.

mighty_west
27-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Also get rid of the Mrs for the 2 hours to avoid silly questions or statements like "what do you want for tea" or "your cars on fire" or maybe even "the house is being robbed"
Ladies also tend to want to vacuum the bit right in front of the telly just as Hall is about to headlock someone.
I know its not along the guidlines of what to say but its from experience of football on tv at home.

Plus also, DO NOT let the mother in law come over, otherwise she will constantly ask silly questions, talk over the top of the game every 10 seconds etc, don't even let her see you hours after a loss, otherwise, you'll get "ohhhh, did your team lose?", with a "i can't believe you take it so seriously" smurk....

A must "shout out" is BUUUUUUULLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT everytime the umps miss a Doggies free, and pay rediculous frees the other way, but remember, it's alot harder to see decisions from the stands, so even if alot of frees paid the other way make sense, at home, just yell it out anyway.

mighty_west
27-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh, one last thing, if you're all sitting on the couch, get up, and walk past to get refreshments every 5 minutes, make the family all get up out of their chairs whilst you walk past & sit back down again, and grab a bottle of water and flick some on the family members from behind, then when they accuse you, just look behind and point in that direction.

bornadog
27-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I try and get rid of the family as they hate hearing me yell and scream at the TV.

another one on top of what has been posted is:

Abuse at the umpire for wrong decisions - a good one is What for

Mofra
27-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Last year I used to do 20 push ups any time a team scored a goal.
That was until this year when I tried it the day after a heavy gym session the game I was watching had 27 goals kicked.

I have a hard time sitting still watching either the Dogs or the Gulls.

jazzadogs
27-05-2010, 04:52 PM
...scream 'BAAAALLLLLLL' every time a tackle is laid.
The first line of my post probably should have been worded differently...or possibly had a 'sarcasm yay!' emoticon after it.

strebla
27-05-2010, 05:20 PM
My favorite saying is NNNOOOOO please don't kick it to Ego but i do that at the game aswell

choconmientay
27-05-2010, 05:33 PM
>>Things to do while watching the Dogs from home

I usually award myself a beer after every goal kicked by the doggies :D ...just kidding ... couldn't drink that much beers :)

LostDoggy
27-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I try not to yell at the umpires, but as someone else has posted, a......"what for" always give me some pleasure, even if in the back of my mind, I know that the free was fair! As my namesake indicates, I also love yelling......"go griff, go griff.....". I also yell "Go Dogs", especially after a great passage of play which results in a goal. However, this seems to set off our two Jack Russells who go nuts! :D

Dazza
27-05-2010, 06:25 PM
My new one is to yell out stickyyyyy when Grant takes a good grab. It seemed to catch on at the north game.

Murphy'sLore
27-05-2010, 06:31 PM
If there's no TV and I have to listen to the radio (which I don't mind actually) I can't sit still -- have to clean the kitchen. Shelves and cupboards get super-clean from my frantic nervous activity.

bornadog
27-05-2010, 07:51 PM
If there's no TV and I have to listen to the radio (which I don't mind actually) I can't sit still -- have to clean the kitchen. Shelves and cupboards get super-clean from my frantic nervous activity.

The last time I listened to a game on the radio was last year when we were beaten by Carlton, I was in the car coming back from a weekend away. I couldn't stand it, I didn't understand where the ball was ie HFF, Centre or back, but then again I was listening to Rex.
I don't mind the radio when I am in the garden and not listening to the Doggies.

craigsahibee
27-05-2010, 08:31 PM
"You're a flog (insert ridiculously overrated oppositions player name here)"

Every other club has one.

Tomorrow it shall be Stanton, for he is the new McPhee.

FlightoftheCallanWards
27-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Yep no way I can sit still when watching at home. TBH I almost cant stand it :D

Im always up and about, yelling at the tele. Usually the "what for" as mentioned..

LostDoggy
27-05-2010, 08:59 PM

Now that sounds like an Adelaide Cows home game 'MAKE THE BALL GO THE OTHER WAY!!'

Fortunately they havent much lately...

Dancin' Douggy
27-05-2010, 10:57 PM
we don't all have the budget that Elvis had so we can't shoot our TV's at every bad umpiring decision. But I have been inspired by a great friend of mine who has spit on the TV in frustration and rage. And yes the TV was mine. And yes I will support him when he does it again.

KT31
28-05-2010, 12:55 AM
One thing that has happened in my house is my oldest pup is so passionate and biased that we nearly cant be in the same room to watch the footy.
Now I know what my Old man went through .

ReLoad
28-05-2010, 07:29 AM
A couple of easy ones when were in front in the last quarter:

"Percentage dogs, percentage"
"Stick it up em"

Also my mum's favourite:
"We owe this mob"

and who can forget "come on ump, he's been doing it all day" (even if its the 30 second mark of the first quarter)

chef
28-05-2010, 08:00 AM
The last time I listened to a game on the radio was last year when we were beaten by Carlton, I was in the car coming back from a weekend away. I couldn't stand it, I didn't understand where the ball was ie HFF, Centre or back, but then again I was listening to Rex.
I don't mind the radio when I am in the garden and not listening to the Doggies.

I can't stand him.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Always had to turn Rex off as I too couldn't understand where the ball was. Don't mind listening to other stations - sometimes it's the only option as I get annoyed at the delayed telecasts! Even if I do watch it on TV, I have to sneak and listen to the radio to get current scores :D If it's close, I get nervous as well, and do lots of pacing around!

Sockeye Salmon
28-05-2010, 10:26 AM
One thing that has happened in my house is my oldest pup is so passionate and biased that we nearly cant be in the same room to watch the footy.
Now I know what my Old man went through .

Apple. Fall. Tree.

Throughandthrough
28-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Always had to turn Rex off as I too couldn't understand where the ball was. Don't mind listening to other stations - sometimes it's the only option as I get annoyed at the delayed telecasts! Even if I do watch it on TV, I have to sneak and listen to the radio to get current scores :D If it's close, I get nervous as well, and do lots of pacing around!

Yeah, thats a massive issue (esp. interstate)

If watching a delayed game, i turn off my phone, dont check face book, dont look at the interweb, or anything

Also have to be really careful flicking channels as the other channels (esp. fox) delight in showing live score updates....

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Things to do in my household:

Remove all lightweight/kickable objects from vicinity when game gets close late in the 4th quarter. Just ask remote control (Saints game this season) and portable heater (Saints prelim last season)

:o:(

KT31
28-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Apple. Fall. Tree.

All that has to happen now is when he gets older to take your pup to the footy and try his best to keep him out of blues with his own supporters.
Then the cycle will be complete.:D

Ozza
28-05-2010, 12:40 PM
The absolute best one - is when the ball is on the complete opposite side of the ground - 200 metres away - and the umpire calls it out of bounds - "Ohh that wasn't out!! It was still in!"...because you would know better than a boundary umpire who is 10 metres from it.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Oh, one last thing, if you're all sitting on the couch, get up, and walk past to get refreshments every 5 minutes, make the family all get up out of their chairs whilst you walk past & sit back down again, and grab a bottle of water and flick some on the family members from behind, then when they accuse you, just look behind and point in that direction.

Love it!!!! :D

Sockeye Salmon
28-05-2010, 01:40 PM
All that has to happen now is when he gets older to take your pup to the footy and try his best to keep him out of blues with his own supporters.
Then the cycle will be complete.:D

The boy went the early crow at the Melbourne game (after we kicked the first 4) and got a glare for a grandma in a Melbourne scarf.

I was so proud :D

wend1604
28-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Does anyone else but me yell out 'MAN UP!!!!!!!'? :D

'Who to' or 'Who's there?' are also personal favourites of mine, along with 'You're an (insert appropriate insult here) Umpire!'

Chicago1
28-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I usually whisper my responses while listening to or watching our matches since it's always either late night or very early in the morning(usually 11.10pm or 4.40am starts) and my elderly mother is asleep in the next room. However, when we won the NAB Cup, I woke her up because of my yelling. She was expecting it. :p

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 04:20 PM
The main thing is to show PASSION - I admit I call out a lot of stuff that other posters state make me someone who has no idea about football (don't go backwards, kick it, hurry up, c'mon!!, etc)!!

If you get thru a game without having a mild heart attack, YOU HAVEN'T REALLY BARRACKED!!!

;):D

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 05:54 PM
>>Things to do while watching the Dogs from home

I usually award myself a beer after every goal kicked by the doggies :D ...just kidding ... couldn't drink that much beers :)

Would be okay if you were a Saints supporter. Wouldn't barely have a buzz heading into the 4th quarter having scored 4 goals or so in 2 hours of football. Also, if you were a Pies supporter it would be the ultimate tease after half time, kicking 14 behinds or something such.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, thats a massive issue (esp. interstate)

If watching a delayed game, i turn off my phone, dont check face book, dont look at the interweb, or anything

Also have to be really careful flicking channels as the other channels (esp. fox) delight in showing live score updates....

Now, i have gone to that measure..
Last year, my mate text the final scores of the Cats v Dogs Round 9 encounter..
It was heartbreaking because on the delayed telecast, the Dogs were 5 goals behind!

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Things to do in my household:

Remove all lightweight/kickable objects from vicinity when game gets close late in the 4th quarter. Just ask remote control (Saints game this season) and portable heater (Saints prelim last season)

:o:(

lol, i nearly destroyed a seat at the MCG a few seasons back. It was when we lost to Melbourne (night game), which meant we missed out on the finals.

I was very pissed off after that game, i slammed the crap out of a chair.

Dry Rot
28-05-2010, 11:35 PM
On nights like tonight, hang yourself.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:43 PM

or at least keep TV remote control out of throwing arms reach,

Dry Rot
28-05-2010, 11:54 PM
or at least keep TV remote control out of throwing arms reach,

The advantage of listening to a radio call. :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:56 PM
The advantage of listening to a radio call. :D

you certainly saved your eyes from some visual torture.

Throughandthrough
29-05-2010, 11:34 PM
what about "why don't you kick it for him ump?"

and "thats all it deserved" when the opposition kicks a point after another dubious free kick.

Or is it just me...

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 11:36 PM

and "thats all it deserved" when the opposition kicks a point after another dubious free kick.

Or is it just me...

Speaking of free kicks.

Is Ryder well within his rights, to jump and plant his knee into the side of Hudson's head?

Like he did during a ruck contest.

Sockeye Salmon
30-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Speaking of free kicks.

Is Ryder well within his rights, to jump and plant his knee into the side of Hudson's head?

Like he did during a ruck contest.

If he keeps his eyes on the ball he is.

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 03:37 PM
My mate likes a bit of "Everyday of the week Brian" referring to Lakey whenever he chooses to take a nice mark down back with the opponents not getting anywhere near it.

Friday night did a bit of "DO IT FOR THE PEOPLES BEARD HUDDO" when he took a mark up forward..even got a laugh from some Essendon fans ;)

EasternWest
31-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Yeah good call :rolleyes:.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 03:39 PM
As well as all the yelling, screaming and cheering when goals & marks are taken....in our house it's all about making sure there is enough space around and behind the couch each break so that Seb-Amanis can play out each quarter he has just watched. As annoying as it is with all the jumping and self commentating, it's kind of a rule of at home footy!

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Or is it just me...

Oh no, definitely not just you......I do lots of that at the TV, but have to admit, at the game as well!

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 04:18 PM
As well as all the yelling, screaming and cheering when goals & marks are taken....in our house it's all about making sure there is enough space around and behind the couch each break so that Seb-Amanis can play out each quarter he has just watched. As annoying as it is with all the jumping and self commentating, it's kind of a rule of at home footy!

Aah, how is the Seb-amanis coping with all this discussion on his namesake? Are you trying to shield him from it?