PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R10 Western Bulldogs vs Essendon

BulldogBelle
27-05-2010, 11:17 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Friday night's game at ES against Essendon.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 37 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Matthew Boyd to kick the first goal.

AndrewP6
27-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Dogs by 25
BOG Griff
First goal Hill

bornadog
27-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Dogs by 38

BOG Cooney

First goal Higgins

lemmon
28-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Dogs by 76
Bog Aker
First goal Aker

KT31
28-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Dogs by 23
BOG Cooney (and more Brownlow votes)
First goal Higgins (and welcome back)
Grant Rising Star

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Dogs by 42
bog: gilbee
fg: Boyd

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Dogs by 41
BOG Harbrow
First goal Grant and Rising Star Nomination

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Dog's 49 points

Aker 1st goal

Cooney BOG

chef
28-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Dogs by 54
Stack First Goal
Harbrow BOG

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Dogs by 35 in a tight tussle,
BOG = Cooney
First goal = Higgins

Ghost Dog
28-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Dog's 49 points

Aker 1st goal

Cooney BOG

I hope Aker scores a bag and blows the crowd a big kiss.

Ghost Dog
28-05-2010, 09:49 AM
FRIDAY NIGHT ANALYSIS ( from the Herald sun,
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dog-tom-williams-let-loose-and-he-is-injury-free/story-e6frf9jf-1225872295867)

JUNKYARD DOGS

The Bulldogs are the best contested possession team in the competition, winning this stat in seven of nine games and averaging 10 more than their opposition.

In the past two weeks the Dogs have won 24 more contested possessions than Sydney and 18 more than North Melbourne.

The Dogs have won 104 more first possessions from stoppages than their opposition this season - clearly ranked No.1 in the competition.

But they haven't cashed in on this dominance, scoring a goal just 19.3 per cent of the time from a first possession, ranked 11th. Tonight may be a different story, however Essendon is the second easiest team to score against from a first possession. Only Richmond is worse.

The Bulldogs have conceded the second-least points in the competition and are the hardest team to kick a goal against once the opposition gets the ball inside 50. In the past five weeks they have conceded just 61.4 points on average - clearly the lowest in the competition.

North seemed to get it into their forward 50 a hell of a lot last week. Fortunately there is something in the water there at Arden Street and they could not kick a goal, even from point blank range.
Anyone want to comment on this?

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 10:24 AM
FRIDAY NIGHT ANALYSIS ( from the Herald sun,
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dog-tom-williams-let-loose-and-he-is-injury-free/story-e6frf9jf-1225872295867)

JUNKYARD DOGS

The Bulldogs are the best contested possession team in the competition, winning this stat in seven of nine games and averaging 10 more than their opposition.

In the past two weeks the Dogs have won 24 more contested possessions than Sydney and 18 more than North Melbourne.

The Dogs have won 104 more first possessions from stoppages than their opposition this season - clearly ranked No.1 in the competition.

But they haven't cashed in on this dominance, scoring a goal just 19.3 per cent of the time from a first possession, ranked 11th. Tonight may be a different story, however Essendon is the second easiest team to score against from a first possession. Only Richmond is worse.

The Bulldogs have conceded the second-least points in the competition and are the hardest team to kick a goal against once the opposition gets the ball inside 50. In the past five weeks they have conceded just 61.4 points on average - clearly the lowest in the competition.

North seemed to get it into their forward 50 a hell of a lot last week. Fortunately there is something in the water there at Arden Street and they could not kick a goal, even from point blank range.

The simple answer: North are shit.

The scientific answer: The awe-inspiring image of Brian “Superman” Lake in the vicinity no doubt drove fear deep into their hearts, affecting their accuracy.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Dogs by 41 points (after taking the foot off late)

First goal: Hall (high contact before bounce)

BOG: Hall (7 goals) / Cooney (36 pos. 12 HBGets)

Go_Dogs
28-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Dogs by 27 points.
First Goal - Mitch Hahn
BOG - Ryan Griffen

Ozza
28-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Dogs by 54 points

First goal - Hahn always cashes in against the bombers - so he will get the first.
BOG - Cooney tears Essendon apart - he'll get 3 votes and move into the top few in the Brownlow betting.

dadsgirl16
28-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Doggies by 30 pts

BOG Griff

1st goal Baz

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Dogs by 38 points (although I hope a lot more!!)

First goal: Mitch Hahn

BOG: Liam Picken

Doc26
28-05-2010, 12:03 PM

With a side that lacks depth and class their cause wasn't helped with no Petrie, Hale or McIntosh and losing Liam Anthony. With that said, their focus was not on winning a game of football but putting their focus and energy into trying to rattle us. Fact is, they tried to look hard but were soft at it. If Brad Scott did have a plan to win that game last week it was way off the mark. If they go into Round 18's clash with a similar strategy they will get destroyed again.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I change my first goal to Grant or Stack with my $10 bet on both to be first goal scorers :D

Scraggers
28-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Doggies by 43 points

First goal Barry Hall (before the first bounce)

Ryan Griffen BOG

Ghost Dog
28-05-2010, 02:22 PM
With a side that lacks depth and class their cause wasn't helped with no Petrie, Hale or McIntosh and losing Liam Anthony. With that said, their focus was not on winning a game of football but putting their focus and energy into trying to rattle us. Fact is, they tried to look hard but were soft at it. If Brad Scott did have a plan to win that game last week it was way off the mark. If they go into Round 18's clash with a similar strategy they will get destroyed again.

mmmmm. Foward fifties = chances on goal.
North missed a heap of chances last week. I agreed with Brad scott post game, as much as I dlislike him. Their plan only needed straight kicks and they would have been in the game.

Doc26
28-05-2010, 03:34 PM
North missed a heap of chances last week. I agreed with Brad scott post game, as much as I dlislike him. Their plan only needed straight kicks and they would have been in the game.

Forward fifties by themselves mean little, the quality of them is where it's at and is why we appear at times to hesitate in bombing the ball in. North's poor use works in our favour as resultant turnovers gives us an opportunity to start an effective forward push. North don't switch up to improve the quality of their delivery anywhere near as much as we do. Brad Scott's a nuffie if he believes winning is all about the quantity of inside 50s particularly against the strong sides that push back. The good team's work their butts off to get that effective disposal inside 50 as we endeavoured to do against the Saints a few weeks back.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Dogs by 11 points in a tight game with many lead changes.

BOG for Dogs: Griffen
BOG for Bombers: Ryder

First goal Dogs (and game): Hahn
First goal Bombers: Hille

The Bulldogs Bite
28-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Dogs by 15 points.
First goal to Hahn.
BOG to Lake.

I'm expecting a tough game. Essendon usually make life difficult for us in the first two to three quarters, before we're able to run away with it.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Forward 50s = kicks into the forward 50. Nothing more, nothing less.

In soccer, the long ball system gets the ball into the attacking third, but ping aimless long balls at a team with good defenders, and they'll just mop it up and regain possession.

In footy, an aimless long kick into the forward 50 is just handing possession back to your opposition.

Scorlibo
28-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Dogs by 37 points
BOG Higgins
First Goal Grant

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Dogs by 30 - 50 pts
BOG : Boyd (36 poss)

First Goal: Now come on guys! Do we follow the same team??? You know how it goes dogs start slow letting the opposition get to at least 17-18 to 3 before we kick a goal.
So first goal : Some Bomber honkey?

Mantis
28-05-2010, 07:11 PM
First Goal: Now come on guys! Do we follow the same team??? You know how it goes dogs start slow letting the opposition get to at least 17-18 to 3 before we kick a goal.
So first goal : Some Bomber honkey?

The idea is to pick the 1st Bulldog goal scorer regardless of if it is the 1st of the game.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Dogs by 54 pts!
BOG: Boyd
First goal: Patrick ryder.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Dogs by 36 points
BOG - Cross
First Goal BAZZA

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:22 PM
We did not deserve to get that close in the end. That was in reality a five or 6 goal win for the Bombers in terms of their overall domination.
Interestingly I reckon we won the clearances and contested ball by a fair margin, which tends to point to our ordinary skills with the pill. So many times we fumbled at crucial moments, or turned the ball over at critical points, and then this allowed the Bombers to move the ball quickly on transition.

Cross's dropped mark in the 3rd when he had someone completely free in the forward fifty - all he had to do was take a mark he'd take 99 times out of 100. And typifying our poor use of the ball was Higgins, who's almost every touch seemed to be a turnover to advantage to the Bombers.

Worst game I've seen Higgins ever play for the club, and by and large a disappointing performance overall. 6-4 now and coming of this poor effort we have an extremely tough clash with the Pies next week.

ledge
28-05-2010, 11:24 PM
And Cooneys kicking? WTF!

LostDog
28-05-2010, 11:25 PM
god damn it i'm sick of this, another friday night flop

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:31 PM
And Cooneys kicking? WTF!

D'oh forgot about him.
It's really worrying that we just have so many players with form that is wildly fluctuating from week to week. We just cannot seem to get our best players firing consistently for an extended period.

It is also becoming for me a worrying trend with the amount of time we are going to Hall.
I thought he was meant to compliment our forward line not take over. It's not a slight on him, more as it's an indictment on our other smaller forwards to not work themselves into position to give our blokes several options to go to.

It's ironic that the one thing we were perceived as needing - a power forward, seems to be the thing that has fundamentally altered our forward structure for the worse. We've gone from being unpredictable going into our forward line to completely predictable.

Dry Rot
28-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Awful stuff. What's with the players abusing each other?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Awful stuff. What's with the players abusing each other?

I'm wondering if this Aker crap is getting to the group. They certainly don't seem as tight as they were last year.

Dry Rot
28-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm wondering if this Aker crap is getting to the group. They certainly don't seem as tight as they were last year.

I can understand that affecting them so it's them vs Aker, but from the radio call half of the were abusing each other.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I can understand that affecting them so it's them vs Aker, but from the radio call half of the were abusing each other.

If the players are in the wrong head space- re the Aker stuff, then I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could manifest in them getting frustrated with each other.
Then again with the way we were butchering the ball, that alone might be enough to push the players frustration out into the open.

Dry Rot
28-05-2010, 11:43 PM
If the players are in the wrong head space- re the Aker stuff, then I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could manifest in them getting frustrated with each other.
Then again with the way we were butchering the ball, that alone might be enough to push the players frustration out into the open.

All season I've thought something hasn't been right. Perhaps there's something going on we don't know about.

Hotdog60
28-05-2010, 11:44 PM
It looks like the Dons did their homework, we looked slow all night and the only standouts were Picken and Hudson.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2010, 11:49 PM
All season I've thought something hasn't been right. Perhaps there's something going on we don't know about.

I'm not convinced it's anything other than the frustration boiling over from our poor disposal. We definitely have dropped back to the pack in terms of clean and efficient ball use, especially by foot.

Dry Rot
28-05-2010, 11:50 PM
It looks like the Dons did their homework, we looked slow all night and the only standouts were Picken and Hudson.

When have we looked quick this season?

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Do they teach forward line pressure at the club?

It was our biggest killer tonight in my opinion, as quick as it went in, it came straight back out again.

Hotdog60
28-05-2010, 11:59 PM

I take your point, but I thought that we had turn the corner and were on the improve. It will be good when the other players that are out with injury come back in contention so if players are carrying something we can gave them a break. Higgins value tonight could be looked at, would Eagle have been any worse.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 12:01 AM

I actually think it's an incorrect perception out there that we are a quick side. I personally think that it's been our slick and precise ball movement that has made us look quicker than our actual leg speed is. In the middle it's really only Cooney and Griffen who are jets, and Harbrow is our only genuine speedster in defense. And at the moment the guy who looks the quickest in our forward line is rising 33 yr old Hall.

Now we are not hitting targets as consistently as we once were, our turnovers are exposing our weakness of leg speed and I think other teams have picked up on it.
Pressure our ball carriers- force them into turnovers and exploit our overall lack of pace on the rebound.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Do they teach forward line pressure at the club?

It was our biggest killer tonight in my opinion, as quick as it went in, it came straight back out again.

It looks like a positional deficiency. We never seem to have players in front of the play in our forward line. When a mark is spilled and it goes away from goal, the opposition always seem to have numbers there, as if too many of our forwards are anticipating the ball to go over the back of the pack.

Hotdog60
29-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I actually think it's an incorrect perception out there that we are a quick side. I personally think that it's been our slick and precise ball movement that has made us look quicker than our actual leg speed is. In the middle it's really only Cooney and Griffen who are jets, and Harbrow is our only genuine speedster in defense. And at the moment the guy who looks the quickest in our forward line is rising 33 yr old Hall.

Now we are not hitting targets as consistently as we once were, our turnovers are exposing our weakness of leg speed and I think other teams have picked up on it.
Pressure our ball carriers- force them into turnovers and exploit our overall lack of pace on the rebound.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I take your point, but I thought that we had turn the corner and were on the improve. It will be good when the other players that are out with injury come back in contention so if players are carrying something we can gave them a break. Higgins value tonight could be looked at, would Eagle have been any worse.

What we need almost more than any other type of player at the moment is a small quick forward. When a combo of Hall, Aker Guido, Higgins, Minson or Hahn are in there (assuming Hall & Mnson are hitting the pack) these other players do not exaclty set the world on fire pace wise once the ball is on the deck. Hill is the only one who perhaps has a degree of pace, but is not at his best winning crumbing ball.
Grant looks to have some speed for a tall bloke, but he is not going to be the answer on a consistent basis at the foot of the pack.

Dry Rot
29-05-2010, 12:12 AM
I'd still like to see Picken up forward, at least defensively.

GVGjr
29-05-2010, 12:14 AM
The concerning part about tonight's performance is the number of players that didn't contribute like they should.

Hard to put a finger on the problem but after a couple of encouraging displays, albeit against opponents down on form, on the big stage we cop another reality check.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2010, 12:14 AM
I'd still like to see Picken up forward, at least defensively.

Maybe when Ward or Reid are back?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2010, 12:22 AM

If true, we have the most sensitive bunch of AFL footballers around. I don't condone Aker's actions and I believe he should be suspended, but if this is all it takes to derail their minds then I'm ashamed.

The Coon Dog
29-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Gotta admit I was really disappointed with our ball use by foot tonight.

I don't have stats about efficiency as that gets distorted with sideways chips, but I felt we were ordinary in this area tonight.

Also felt alot of our senior guys let us down for most of the game, some got a few touches in the last quarter, but on the whole I was disappointed in Boyd (horrible turnovers), Gia (failed to get into the game), Higgins (looked underdone & turned it over regularly), Aker (got a few kicks late on but was anonymous throughout), Minson (got a few spikes out of the centre, but contributed little), Shaggy (got nowhere near Jetta), Cooney (at least he got a bit of it & went looking for it, just shocking by foot).

We also had no answer when Essendon brought the ball fro defence. Their players ran off & there were options everywhere for them, whereas we appeared stagnant.

9 points flattered us!

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:27 AM
We need a foil for Barry. The decline of Acker has hurt significantly this year. We have no one to consitantly to bride the gap. In saying that Leigh Mathews, Tony Locket and Kelvin Templeton wouldn't have made much of a diffrence at times tonight because our disposal into the forward 50 was that bad.

I was waiting for the run to come, a pitty it came with 5 mins to go not in the third when we needed it to.

Scorlibo
29-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm not convinced that our forward line malfunctions should be attributed to a focus on Barry as much as they should be attributed to getting no return from Akermanis, Johnson being injured for all year and Scotty Welsh having retired. Those three formed a triple pronged leading forward attack last year for a total of 100 goals.

Ozza
29-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Fickle game isn't it - last week so many of our players had become guns and this weak there are huge holes. Essendon were terrific - but gee we were poor with the ball and couldn't win a stoppage.

I didn't like any of the match ups tonight really and Essendon exposed some of our weaknesses.

Stanton went untagged for most of the night.
Cross was outpointed by Watson.
Addison down deep in defense is very ugly with his lack of pace.
Gumbleton is very good in the air and Williams is pretty awful just gets a bit lost.
Hargrave on Jetta for periods was a disaster.

I'm not suggesting wholesale changes - it was a bad night - but gee I'm not too sure what Hahn brings to the table right at the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2010, 12:40 AM
One of the more disappointing games we've played. Probably up there with Lions earlier in the year and Eagles late last year. Something didn't look 'right' - I know we did OK in a few of the key indicators but we looked flat flooted and a little dis-interested at times. Obviously our disposal and decision making was horrible and the biggest reason why we lost the game. However, I saw several players give up on chasing numerous times. Essendon were able to overlap us with handball all night - it wasn't good enough.

Higgins played his worst game for the club. If he isn't right, he shouldn't be played. Love him as a player but he's been extremely ordinary in 2010. His decision making and disposal was ridiculously poor for a player of his calibre. Perhaps it's a little harsh, but I'd really rather him not play if that's what he's going to contribute. No side can carry half fit players.

Williams was bad after doing well in the first quarter or so too. Constantly out of position or pushed out of the way. Thought it was a big game for him tonight, and he shattered. He's had a solid season but he needs to bounce back next week.

Sick of Boyd, Cross, Gia and Hahn turning it over or doing stuff all when the chips are down. It's not good enough from a senior group. Boyd is making far too many mistakes this season whilst Hahn simply has to be dropped. Aker's a worry too - did some nice things late but I think the game's gone past him (and possibly Hahn too).

Thought Grant showed some good signs. Some great grabs and some great kicks. Made an absolute howler in the third quarter but aside from that he did OK. Hudson's effort was sublime and really stood out amongst a side that really played as individuals tonight. Picken was pretty tough too.

Essendon tackled very well tonight and killed us on the rebound. Few concerns for us. Hahn and Aker are struggling badly, Hall and Hill our only forward options. Our defensive pressure and tackling was quite bad and we were unaccountable all night. It'll be an interesting time at the selection table, especially if Reid and a couple others can play well.

choconmientay
29-05-2010, 12:45 AM
I am disappointed with our players tonight. I think they didn't realized how the important this game was. It is an 8 points game and they let it slipped through. This will make the road to get to top 4 even harder :( Not happy!

Popcorn Chicken
29-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Woops wrong thread cant think straight after such a horrible game

Scorlibo
29-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Thought Grant showed some good signs. Some great grabs and some great kicks. Made an absolute howler in the third quarter but aside from that he did OK.

Should Grant be playing deeper forward? We lack direction kicking into the forward fifty, and Grant would prove a good leading target in the absence of Johnno and Murph.

KT31
29-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Should Grant be playing deeper forward? We lack direction kicking into the forward fifty, and Grant would prove a good leading target in the absence of Johnno and Murph.

IMO Murphy plays better running off the back and I have grave concerns with Johnno's injury and age he may end up being another handbrake in the forward fifty.
We can't play Hahn, Minson, Aker, Bazza and Johnno in the same forward line and leave Hill the only one with any leg speed.

G-Mo77
29-05-2010, 01:36 AM
IMO Murphy plays better running off the back and I have grave concerns with Johnno's injury and age he may end up being another handbrake in the forward fifty.
We can't play Hahn, Minson, Aker, Bazza and Johnno in the same forward line and leave Hill the only one with any leg speed.

That was pretty noticeable tonight. The Bombers just ran it out with ease all night and because of the overlap it freed up so many players. Stack has been helpful by adding a little speed inside the forward 50 but he really offered nothing tonight and I would be very surprised if he gets a game next week.

Is there anyone else who could play in the forward half with a bit of pace and apply some much needed forward pressure?

lemmon
29-05-2010, 01:40 AM
That was pretty noticeable tonight. The Bombers just ran it out with ease all night and because of the overlap it freed up so many players. Stack has been helpful by adding a little speed inside the forward 50 but he really offered nothing tonight and I would be very surprised if he gets a game next week.

Is there anyone else who could play in the forward half with a bit of pace and apply some much needed forward pressure?

Perhaps Picken could play this role but its really robbing Peter to play Paul as we don't have another speedy stopper

AndrewP6
29-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Pathetic effort for about 90 percent of game time. So disappointing to have a great chance to build momentum going into the middle of the season, and we look like we're playing a NAB Challenge match. To have so many passengers (or is it bystanders?) when we desperately had to have someone stand up was, IMO, shattering. To get the ball, either by clearance, intercept, turnover etc... and then just kick it to no one, or worse, straight back to them, was amateur. We got nothing or next to nothing from Higgins, Aker, Hahn, Stack, Minson, Hargrave (and so on), we deserved to lose that by 8 or 9 goals, not points. And Collingwood next week? Lord, help us...

Shattered.

G-Mo77
29-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Perhaps Picken could play this role but its really robbing Peter to play Paul as we don't have another speedy stopper

Yeah he is to valuable to us with the role he plays now. I thought he was very good all night. Busted his arse for the whole game, it's a pity it didn't rub off on some of the other passengers out there.

Sedat
29-05-2010, 01:46 AM
We needed to be clean with our disposal tonight - fair to say a Richmondesque 61% disposal efficiency by foot will not help any team win a game of football, and Essendon profited from our generosity accordingly. Higgins was at an appalling 25% efficiency by foot, with his numerous ineffective little dinky around the corner kicks off his left foot the lowlight of the night, and Coons was only tracking at 50%. The delivery into our forward 50 especially in the 3rd qtr was as poor as I've seen from a Dogs outfit in many a year - so many up and unders that were money for jam for Fletcher and Pears, followed by 4-5 shanks from Coons and Griff in clear space. Our clearance work was actually very good on the night but we simply wasted too many gilt-edged chances to punish Essendon on the scoreboard, and we also coughed the ball up all too easily to them throughout the night. Their defensive pressure was very good to be fair to them, and they spread and ran harder to present all night.

FFS if Higgins is sore and cannot kick properly because of his groin soreness, rest him for as long as he needs to get 100% right. Doing neither him nor the team any favours trying to nurse him through.

macca
29-05-2010, 02:38 AM

Good pickup. Gia was very pissed off late in the 3rd quarter when an errant kick did not hit him on the wing. The missed mark as well at satrt of 4th , really showed his frustration. I just wonder how much is it in the player's heads.
The bombers look quick, and much more cohesive as a team. Their disposal was still ordinary but they always seemed to have players around. We our poor disposal was worse than theres. :mad:

And why do we keep giving team 2 goal starts in games ? Surely this has to be addressed ? Hall 5, Hill 3, and gilbee 2, where is hahn ? stack and grant ? I'm not sure about the assists but would like to know how many assists our fwds, contributed.

GVGjr
29-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Whilst Hudson was very good for us last night the ruck combination for Hille and Ryder had a real presence all over the ground. They took some nice marks in the back half and Ryder in particular was a threat up forward.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Even though Grant didnt kick any goals (he proberly would have if he kicked on his left footy) I thought he was pretty good last night, that was just a crap game, SO disapointed.

I really hope we bounce back next week!

Pickenitup
29-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I really think last nite has cost us a top four spot i really hope im wrong though after this round we are going to be two games from 1 2 3 and a tough game next week against the pies going to be real tough

Go_Dogs
29-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Didn't get a chance to post after the game last night, but was a very flat performance. From early on it was obvious that we lacked intensity for the contest, and Essendon really wanted it a lot more than we did.

Our guys just couldn't get into the game.

Our disposal was terrible, and the majority of the side were passengers.

It's not the end of the world, but dropping these "winnable" games is going to come back to bite us on the bum later in the year. MASSIVE game next week now.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Pathetic effort for about 90 percent of game time. So disappointing to have a great chance to build momentum going into the middle of the season, and we look like we're playing a NAB Challenge match. To have so many passengers (or is it bystanders?) when we desperately had to have someone stand up was, IMO, shattering. To get the ball, either by clearance, intercept, turnover etc... and then just kick it to no one, or worse, straight back to them, was amateur. We got nothing or next to nothing from Higgins, Aker, Hahn, Stack, Minson, Hargrave (and so on), we deserved to lose that by 8 or 9 goals, not points. And Collingwood next week? Lord, help us...

Shattered.

I watched it on the web, using the FLASH app at AFLlive.
Those Damned little red dots. they had so much possession. We just could not get our hands on the ball, and costly misses by minson and others.
GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlightoftheCallanWards
29-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Just a really, really disappointing effort from almost all. Makes next week absolutely massive. I thought before last night's game that we should get the win but would struggle next week. If we can grab a win next week (highly unlikely) then we will be 7-4 and reasonably well set.

A few changes though. Stack really has to be dropped, Higgins rested until fit. Moles has been ready to go hasn't he?

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 11:46 AM

I didn't get to even listen to the game as I was at a function, but I was having the scores text to me all night. Good to read everyone's posts so that i can get some idea of how crap we played! I too am wondering if all the off field stuff is affecting them, although we really haven't been at our best all year? I hate to read that some players were abusing one another for not hitting targets, etc. This just smacks of more trouble IMO. What I thought was going to be a good year, culminating in a great year, seems to be slowly dripping down the drain :(

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Like everyone else bitterly disapointed with performance clearly something is wrong in dog land.
We were flat footed from the start, it was almost like we thought we just at to turn up last night.

We looked like we turned the corner last week, on the improve.
Just about half way and things still are not working i think its time for change before its too late for top four,is it just me or do we look very dangerous when Brian Lake goes forward, i know he is the best back in AFL but god he looks good up forward.

But i think the real change needs to be in the attitude commitment and the belief that we are good enough the 120% effort from the midfield and for god sakes get the skills back! we need confidence and the only way to get confidence is determination and effort and the wins will come.

But being a bulldog fan i have become acustom to frustration and disapointment..

Stefcep
29-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Overall, we have gone backwards since last season.

I think we have the most turnovers in the comp. I feel sorry for Eade. There is nothing a coach can do when players drop sitters at crucial times, kick blindly or straight to the opposition. Unlike Eade I could save my sanity by switching off at three quarter time

Don't blame Aker's column. We've been playing ugly all season. We've relied on the other teams butchering their chances. Our position on the ladder flatters us.

What I saw against North last week told me we are a long way from being a GF team. Last night confirmed it.

Scorlibo
29-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Enthusiasm. That's what we lacked last night and what we've lacked all season. You can work as hard as you like but if you don't have that hunger to win then things just don't click. Towards the end of the match, you could see some urgency return to the games of Aker and Higgins, but too little too late. All we can hope for is that we carry that urgency and teamwork which we showed in the last few minutes into next week. If we don't win next week then we are going to be in big trouble.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 12:54 PM
We were soundly beaten last night, cannot see us going deep into September, may even struggle to play in September!

choconmientay
29-05-2010, 01:01 PM
What i noticed for the whole game is that every time our players took a mark, his first options is to look back or look side way for an options and never looked forward to move the ball quickly by hand or by foot.

We never took the risks and that slowed the game down and then turned the ball over. Once the ball turned over, they flooded our 50m area quickly with overlap run. So many times you can observe our guys slowly jogging back or even walking back so we were out numbers in our defence :(

As Geelong have showed us how to beat a quick running team. Moving the ball quickly by foot and take the risk through the middle as well.

I am not a fans of us kicking the ball around our back 50. Fair enough if that the only option to create space but we tend to do it to much and the last kick to break through to our forward 50 never seems to happen.

Where now from here guys. We all though the team has turned the form around but this game just highlighted even more that we are far far far away from a PS contender.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Overall, we have gone backwards since last season.

I think we have the most turnovers in the comp. I feel sorry for Eade. There is nothing a coach can do when players drop sitters at crucial times, kick blindly or straight to the opposition. Unlike Eade I could save my sanity by switching off at three quarter time

Don't blame Aker's column. We've been playing ugly all season. We've relied on the other teams butchering their chances. Our position on the ladder flatters us.

What I saw against North last week told me we are a long way from being a GF team. Last night confirmed it.

I like this post. Totally agree with you.

AndrewP6
29-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I like this post. Totally agree with you.

Me too...unfortunately.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Me too...unfortunately.

Me too. North should have been right in the game against us if they actually were able to convert a set shot against us.

Does anyone else think Essendon have some of the worst supporters in the league? I was sitting close by David Smorgon and Simon Garlick last night and with about a few minutes to go both left their seats. A group of Essendon supporters started giving it to Smorgon. I thought it was quite low.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Does anyone else think Essendon have some of the worst supporters in the league?

Yep. My god, they were absolutely giving to me as I was leaving, at several intervals. Just F off and let me leave in peace, FFS!
The whole game, I was surrounded. They are awful, awful people. People think it's the Collingwood scum thats bad, but personally, for me Essendon and Carlton are the worst.

Now I remember why I never go to Essendon home games, ugh.

Doc26
29-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Does anyone else think Essendon have some of the worst supporters in the league? I was sitting close by David Smorgon and Simon Garlick last night and with about a few minutes to go both left their seats. A group of Essendon supporters started giving it to Smorgon. I thought it was quite low.

Yep. My god, they were absolutely giving to me as I was leaving, at several intervals. Just F off and let me leave in peace, FFS!
The whole game, I was surrounded. They are awful, awful people. People think it's the Collingwood scum thats bad, but personally, for me Essendon and Carlton are the worst.

Now I remember why I never go to Essendon home games, ugh.

Couldn't agree more although Hawthorn supporters aren't far behind. Per capita Essendon supporters are the most feral and uneducated bunch of luddites in their knowledge of the game going around. I'm convinced that they could all legitimately apply for junior membership. Is just odd to see so many of their adult supporters behave like preppies.

Doc26
29-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Mantis, was that you that called in post match to SEN re Aker ?

Mantis
29-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Mantis, was that you that called in post match to SEN re Aker ?

Not me.

I was slogging down vodka's with the suits post game to drown out the memory of the past 2 & 1/2 hours.

What did 'Mantis' say?

The Pie Man
29-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Me too. North should have been right in the game against us if they actually were able to convert a set shot against us.

Yeah they're up there - and massive call to give Smorgon sh_t when it's the first time they've beaten us in 3 years.

This bloke behind me last night at various stages called Aker a 'pimple', Hahn a 'degenerate' and yelled out at Gia for having an 'un-Australian name' ......

Add an expletive in front of the word wit :mad:

Having said that, my wife's a Dons fan, and she's been thankfully quiet - only saying 'I'm happy we won, but we've got no chance at a flag this year, and I hate to see you guys maybe throwing away a good chance by losing'

Doc26
29-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Not me.

I was slogging down vodka's with the suits post game to drown out the memory of the past 2 & 1/2 hours.

What did 'Mantis' say?

Was a Bulldog's supporter who called himself Cain from Yarraville who was after Aker's scalp. He no doubt has a few allies after last week's shenanigans.

The Pie Man
29-05-2010, 07:23 PM
This I guess isn't a massive shock, but I found it interesting to listen to nevertheless.

McVeigh was interviewed on SEN today and was asked how he felt Aker was going physically as his direct opponent last night - he said his pace is still there, but not the burst running he used to burn defenders with. Also mentioned that having played on him a few times before, he was very quiet last night and it was clear he had other things on his mind.

He wasn't the worst on the ground in my view, but obviously wasn't impressive either. Will be an interesting week at selection.

soupman
29-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Does anyone else think Essendon have some of the worst supporters in the league?

Usually I would agree with you but last night we had some terrible Bulldogs supporters sitting behind us. Two men with their primary school kid and the entire match they swore their heads off, bagged our players and were a disgraceful example of how to talk in front of your kids. The whole match all I heard about was how that c*** Gia was "f***en soft" and an "f***en girl" and they'd stop supporting AFL if he ever became captain. On top of this they did almost the exact same thing for every other player in the team, whinged about us not bombing the ball long to Barry and then whinged more when we did and it failed. I was very dissapointed in them.

As for Essendon supporters I agree they are terrible. They are generally arrogant and in your face when they win. They have no hesitation trying to rub a loss in, and when they lose they just snap back at you with the old "How many premierships have you won?". And half of them haven't got a clue about their side, they think their captain and star player is James Hird and have never heard of anybody in their current side except for Fletcher. These "supporters" shouldn't be allowed to bag other supporters until they get a clue.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Don't give up on our final chances yet. Footy clubs are full of fault finders. We are still in the game. Bad day at the office. However, we have a quality list that for one reason or another, is not playing their best.
Time for the fan club to get on board. This is not just a test for the players. It is a test for the supporters as well. Players need heaps of encouragement at this time so let's keep the faith.

GO DOGS!

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 01:39 PM
If true, we have the most sensitive bunch of AFL footballers around. I don't condone Aker's actions and I believe he should be suspended, but if this is all it takes to derail their minds then I'm ashamed.

Absolutely. The Saints have dealt with rape charges, pregnant schoolgirls, the loss of their best player and the backbone of their team, and still come out and win comfortably.

One of the more disappointing games we've played. Probably up there with Lions earlier in the year and Eagles late last year. Something didn't look 'right' - I know we did OK in a few of the key indicators but we looked flat flooted and a little dis-interested at times. Obviously our disposal and decision making was horrible and the biggest reason why we lost the game. However, I saw several players give up on chasing numerous times. Essendon were able to overlap us with handball all night - it wasn't good enough.

Higgins played his worst game for the club. If he isn't right, he shouldn't be played. Love him as a player but he's been extremely ordinary in 2010. His decision making and disposal was ridiculously poor for a player of his calibre. Perhaps it's a little harsh, but I'd really rather him not play if that's what he's going to contribute. No side can carry half fit players.

Williams was bad after doing well in the first quarter or so too. Constantly out of position or pushed out of the way. Thought it was a big game for him tonight, and he shattered. He's had a solid season but he needs to bounce back next week.

Sick of Boyd, Cross, Gia and Hahn turning it over or doing stuff all when the chips are down. It's not good enough from a senior group. Boyd is making far too many mistakes this season whilst Hahn simply has to be dropped. Aker's a worry too - did some nice things late but I think the game's gone past him (and possibly Hahn too).

Thought Grant showed some good signs. Some great grabs and some great kicks. Made an absolute howler in the third quarter but aside from that he did OK. Hudson's effort was sublime and really stood out amongst a side that really played as individuals tonight. Picken was pretty tough too.

Essendon tackled very well tonight and killed us on the rebound. Few concerns for us. Hahn and Aker are struggling badly, Hall and Hill our only forward options. Our defensive pressure and tackling was quite bad and we were unaccountable all night. It'll be an interesting time at the selection table, especially if Reid and a couple others can play well.

All very well to say “drop this guy, drop that guy” but we need someone to fill their spot. I'd be looking more at the real questions: Why is the team not performing to standard, why are they not following instructions, why is such a talented team looking so disinterested?

All three questions must be pointed at the coaching staff. I'm not a “sack the coach” type of supporter, I'm not saying let's ditch Rocket, but he is the captain of the ship and therefore responsible for his players, their mental state, their physical readiness. This is the price of leadership. We also must point the finger at the total lack of leadership being shown on the field by the players as well.

We don't need better players. We need LEADERSHIP.

Shattered.

Agree, too many passengers walking through the midfield, playing as if it didn't matter. Incredibly poor effort.

Like everyone else bitterly disapointed with performance clearly something is wrong in dog land.
We were flat footed from the start, it was almost like we thought we just at to turn up last night.

We looked like we turned the corner last week, on the improve.
Just about half way and things still are not working i think its time for change before its too late for top four,is it just me or do we look very dangerous when Brian Lake goes forward, i know he is the best back in AFL but god he looks good up forward.

But i think the real change needs to be in the attitude commitment and the belief that we are good enough the 120% effort from the midfield and for god sakes get the skills back! we need confidence and the only way to get confidence is determination and effort and the wins will come.

But being a bulldog fan i have become acustom to frustration and disapointment..

This shits me. I'm no longer ready to just be “accustomed” to it. The time has come for this football club to stand up and make itself counted for something. How many times have we had smug opposition fans tell us we're pretenders, we haven't won a flag since 1954, haven't even played the GF since '61, and every year we do the same old unprofessional shit.

I also hate the fact we're not told anything. The club keeps us in the dark, for the most part, about why we're not performing. Reeks of the old Footscray, and I'm sick of it.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Don't give up on our final chances yet. Footy clubs are full of fault finders. We are still in the game. Bad day at the office. However, we have a quality list that for one reason or another, is not playing their best.
Time for the fan club to get on board. This is not just a test for the players. It is a test for the supporters as well. Players need heaps of encouragement at this time so let's keep the faith.

GO DOGS!

When they tell me the reason, I'll support them. When they insist on claiming that “everything is OK” and “it's a marathon not a sprint” while we're capitulating to lesser teams, I'll demand the results that they need to back up with when they're out pushing the membership and marketing spin.

I've been a Bulldog all my life. I'll be a Bulldog when I die. I was totally and absolutely disgusted on Friday night, and I had supporters turning around and calling me a “fairweather bandwagon supporter”. Well, **** them. I'm sick of it. I'll be there next week, screaming my guts out for the boys and supporting them 100%, but when they let me and other supporters down like they did on Friday night, I'll call them on it.

dog town
31-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Is anyone else concerned with us trying to become the Arsenal of the AFL and trying to walk the ball into the goal line? How many shots on goal did we cost our side on friday night by over using the ball when well and truly in range? Would like some of our players to be more selfish and just pull the trigger. I would rather us kick a point and have the chance to set our zone than have a momentum swinging turnover that is rushed down the other end for a confidence sapping goal to the opposition. Our current forward line is not good enough without ball in hand to be risking turning the ball over when we are in range.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Is anyone else concerned with us trying to become the Arsenal of the AFL and trying to walk the ball into the goal line? How many shots on goal did we cost our side on friday night by over using the ball when well and truly in range? Would like some of our players to be more selfish and just pull the trigger. I would rather us kick a point and have the chance to set our zone than have a momentum swinging turnover that is rushed down the other end for a confidence sapping goal to the opposition. Our current forward line is not good enough without ball in hand to be risking turning the ball over when we are in range.

Funny, scary, accurately summed up. Shoot the damn thing already (and up in the air, not dribble it along the ground so it can be touched on the goal line...).