PDA

View Full Version : Round 11- Selection changes

Rocco Jones
29-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Obviously the Willy game today will give us a bit more insight but I have a few in the gun.

I know it's an old one for me but I simply think Minson as a number 2 to such a pure ruckman is a massive liability to us in the modern game (which we look generally confused by at the moment). Our 2nd ruck simply has to spend the majority of their TOG outside of the ruck and Minson is a liability outside of the ruck. I am not directly bagging Minson, if paired us with a ruckman who could play elsewhere I think he would do well.

I think it would help us extract value from Williams when he is struggling down back on an opponent/for a match up. It would also mean we could play Dre and look less top heavy.

I know I am about to have a go at a couple of my boys but here goes.

Stack really doesn't look like he is ready for a real game of AFL footy at the moment. His efforts to tackle are extremely poor, a massive worry for a small/medium forward who really needs to apply forward defensive pressure.

I have defended Addison for awhile. I admire his courage and attitude but unless he does a very good shut down job he is a liability as he struggles to get it himself and makes poor decisions when he does. Perhaps Wood is an option if we want another outside tag type but Picken is back up and running anyway.

Aker is looking like an old man. His footy brain and wonderful hands are perhaps just keeping his head above water.

I'd like to see Moles back into the side to help out with midfield rotations.

Basically we haven't beaten anyone. Our wins have come against sides 7th, 9th, 12th, 13th, 15th and 16th on the ladder. Our biggest scalp Sydney were very undermanned and a shell of the side that look so impressive earlier on in the season.

There 18th-22nd player changes are mostly shifting of the deck chairs like changes but I think we can possibly make some improvements with our structure (2nd ruck, forward pressure, midfield rotations).

G-Mo77
29-05-2010, 12:24 PM
You could easily go out with the axe and chop down a few but I doubt we'll be that dramatic.

As you mentioned Stack was really ordinary out there last night made some shocking errors and as you mentioned Rocco he just doesn't apply enough pressure in the forward half, something we really need him to do. It's easy to pot a young guy though and there is arguments to persist with him next week but I think a stint in Willy wouldn't do him any harm.

Addison could be another change. I guess it all depends on Collingwood's team. He'd be handy to rotate and help try and negate some of their smaller guys.

Is Aker looking at a club suspension for that article?

Does Roughead come back into the team?

I guess it all depends on today's game. Everitt, Wood, Moles, Roughead and even Jones would be a real chance over the next few weeks.

ledge
29-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Moles for Aker.
Roughead down forward with Hall to get some more height for players to bomb too, especially to stretch Collingwoods backline.
Out with Stack.

I am angry still but thats all I am willing to post.

Popcorn Chicken
29-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Out Stack Aker

In Everitt Wood/Moles

AndrewP6
29-05-2010, 01:21 PM
OUT Higgins, Stack
IN Everitt, Moles (if he's right)

Aker has been way down obviously, but I don't think he'll be dropped. He's either carrying, or he went one season too long. Either way, it's not good.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Could Griffen be an out considering he was limited most of the game...

G-Mo77
29-05-2010, 01:56 PM

What actually happened to him? It looked like a kick in the shins or calf from the replay at the game. Doc. Larkins didn't mention it either after the game on MMM.

Flamethrower
29-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Griffen's injury happened right in front of me (I sound like that Crows fan). One of the Essendon players fell across the back of Griff's lower leg early on and he twisted his ankle. It wouldn't surprise me if he has ligament damage, and depending on the severity may need surgery now or after the season.

OLD SCRAGGer
29-05-2010, 03:24 PM

You can't possibly be serious :confused::confused: IMHO Griff would be leading our B&F at moment,

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 03:36 PM
out: Stack, Higgins
in: Everitt, Moles

Play Everitt as an attacking wingman or across half forward!!

Rocco Jones
29-05-2010, 03:38 PM

You can't possibly be serious :confused::confused: IMHO Griff would be leading our B&F at moment,

I think you have misunderstood arkie PWebb (you seem to get very defensive of our players).

I definitely agree Griffen looked limited for most of last night but I also believe he put in a strong performance, a brave effort. He looks like he is carrying an injury (or two) but is still putting out quality performances. I am very impressed with his work ethic this year.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 03:44 PM

I think arkie meant because he was injured in the first quarter last night, not because of poor form.

Mofra
29-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Is Roughy right? Everitt?

Assuming injury free, I'd like:

Out: Minson, Aker, Addison
In: Roughy, Everitt, Moles

Moles' disposal under pressure worries me, but DFA's disposal last night was far worse than I've seen from Brodie. Enters midfield rotation to allow Gia to spend more time forward.
Everitt to play HBF/wing.
Roughy to give Hudson a chop out in the ruck and be a forward target that can actually mark the ball, given Huddo can push up to 80% TOG in the ruck now.

Stack was poor but after two decent games I'd give him another chance, unless someone at Willy plays well. Reid's form will be interesting to note - more runners wouldn't hurt us at the moment.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I know it's an old one for me but I simply think Minson as a number 2 to such a pure ruckman is a massive liability to us in the modern game (which we look generally confused by at the moment). Our 2nd ruck simply has to spend the majority of their TOG outside of the ruck and Minson is a liability outside of the ruck. I am not directly bagging Minson, if paired us with a ruckman who could play elsewhere I think he would do well.

I think it's well documented my views on this, i agree with you.

Doc26
29-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Griff's injury appears a continuation of his lower back complaint which he's been playing through bravely.

chef
29-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I think you have misunderstood arkie PWebb (you seem to get very defensive of our players).

I definitely agree Griffen looked limited for most of last night but I also believe he put in a strong performance, a brave effort. He looks like he is carrying an injury (or two) but is still putting out quality performances. I am very impressed with his work ethic this year.

Agree, I previously wasn't much of a fan but now he is one of my favourite players and a few other mids could learn a bit from watching him go about his footy.

Pickenitup
29-05-2010, 06:52 PM
In Moles Everitt Wood
Out Addison Stack Akermanis
Would def consider Roughy as i believe he was Bog for Willi i hope Aker stays in but im tipping a 1week
susp

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Is Roughy right? Everitt?

Assuming injury free, I'd like:

Out: Minson, Aker, Addison
In: Roughy, Everitt, Moles

Moles' disposal under pressure worries me, but DFA's disposal last night was far worse than I've seen from Brodie. Enters midfield rotation to allow Gia to spend more time forward.
Everitt to play HBF/wing.
Roughy to give Hudson a chop out in the ruck and be a forward target that can actually mark the ball, given Huddo can push up to 80% TOG in the ruck now.

Stack was poor but after two decent games I'd give him another chance, unless someone at Willy plays well. Reid's form will be interesting to note - more runners wouldn't hurt us at the moment.

Agree with all this but I can't see Minson being dropped after only coming back a couple of weeks ago and doing alright aside from last night's game. Moles certainly has to come in and one of Everitt/Reid too.

Desipura
29-05-2010, 07:40 PM
All I know is we are seriously lacking a tall centre half forward who can bring the ball to ground as well as take the occasional contested mark. Hahn is niether tall and does not get to enough contests. I look forward to seeing Jones get a game in the near future. Would not surprise me if it is sooner than later.
I would like to see Higgins play beside Hall and Gia to spend more time on the forward 50.
Obviously we would need to bring in a few midfielders ie Reid and Moles.
Off topic, how frustrating is it to see Cross continually go 3rd man up for the ruck comtest?
Should be paying more attention to his opponent.

azabob
29-05-2010, 08:01 PM
All I know is we are seriously lacking a tall centre half forward who can bring the ball to ground as well as take the occasional contested mark. Hahn is niether tall and does not get to enough contests. I look forward to seeing Jones get a game in the near future. Would not surprise me if it is sooner than later.
I would like to see Higgins play beside Hall and Gia to spend more time on the forward 50.
Obviously we would need to bring in a few midfielders ie Reid and Moles.
Off topic, how frustrating is it to see Cross continually go 3rd man up for the ruck comtest?
Should be paying more attention to his opponent.

Cross and Boyd both do it regularly. It must be an instruction from Eade surely. But yes it does drive me nuts.

craigsahibee
29-05-2010, 08:02 PM
In Everitt, Roughead Moles/Reid
Out Hahn, Aker, Stack

Mitch seems to get lost outside the 50 arc.

3 Rucks to work Jolly and Co over around the ground

Everitt to play forward and be given a commission to roam at will.

Moles/Reid in the midfield to counter Collingwood's high rotations through that part of the ground.

(Higgins is very lucky)

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I would probably give Reid more time in the Willy seniors, he has had big interrupted pre season.

Everitt coming in is a no brainer, he is definitely in our best 22.

I might be biased, but i wouldn't mind seeing Roughead come in for Minson. I don't think it will happen, but i think he deserves another shot.

Wood is a massive show in my opinion, has been among the best today for Willy. Has been close to getting a senior game this season already, so i wouldn't be surprised if he came in.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Wood, Roughead, Reid, and Everitt are a good show this week. Addison, Stack, Minson, and of course Acker are all under the pump this week.

Rocco Jones
29-05-2010, 09:53 PM
3 Rucks to work Jolly and Co over around the ground

Sorry but that would be modern footy suicide. I think a lot of our fans fail to realise that Minson spends only about 30% TOG in the ruck. What would be the break down if Roughead comes into the side? Minson's 40% TOG up forward is already a massive liability and I want Hudson in the ruck for as long as possible.

Minson is in our best 22 players IMO but he isn't in our best 22 to run out there. If you are going to play 2 out and out one ruckmen, both have to be guns. Minson is a decent ruckmen but the 2nd ruck role we need isn't such a pure ruck related position. It requires a balance between offering value in supporting Hudson in the ruck and for the slight majority of the time support elsewhere.

I know we won't make the changes but here is what I would love to see.

IN: Everitt, Moles, Wood
OUT: Aker, Minson, Addison

Playing either Williams or Everitt in the ruck will help us be a little less top heavy and also means we have greater flexibility with our defensive match ups.

Wood and Addison are just about even when it comes to disposal but I rate Wood's ability to get the ball a bit higher and like his overhead marking which I think is a valuable tool for an outside tag. If Wood is going to get a spot in our side anytime soon I really believe it must be in this role.

Moles helps out with our midfield rotations obviously.

Stack very lucky and I am worried about how he is going to go against such quality opposition.

Rocco Jones
29-05-2010, 09:56 PM
The changes might appear wholesale but we haven't beaten a quality side (not counting an utterly undermanned Sydney) all year and keep getting outrun/overrun by quality sides.

Sedat
30-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Stack very lucky and I am worried about how he is going to go against such quality opposition.
Deep down, we already know the answer to this question. Ditto Hill.

Mantis
30-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Deep down, we already know the answer to this question. Ditto Hill.

If they are to be players of the future for us we really need to give them as much experience against the better teams as possible, especially when we have 'like' players out injured.

bulldogsman
30-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Playing either Williams or Everitt in the ruck will help us be a little less top heavy and also means we have greater flexibility with our defensive match ups.

I remain unconvinced by this strategy, but I would like to see us give it another go. It worked twice, but it was against a poor ruck division. Hill and Everitt (the runners we chose) had an impact and may have won us the game. I would not be against using it this weekend, but I can't see it happening.

Ins Roughead, Everitt, Moles, Wood
Outs Minson, Aker, Stack, Addison

Greystache
30-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Out- Aker, Minson, Higgins
In- Everitt, Roughead, Wood

Aker out obviously, would like to see Everitt play up the ground. Hudson has been spending so much time in the ruck we really need a back up who can give us something else, Roughead can provide another tall forward option when not rucking. Higgins has been poor most of the season and was atrocious on Friday, if he's injured rest him, if he's not play him at Williamstown, Wood's power running will be useful against a fast running Collingwood.

Stack and Addison very lucky.

bornadog
30-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Out: Aker, Addison

In: Everitt, Wood

turfdog
30-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Big-scale changes are called for. The selectors might be reluctant to do this, but Fridays loss probably cost us a top four finals berth and maybe even a place in the final eight.

Stack has to go. I was also a big supporter of Addison but his recent form isn't good enough for the 22. Aker has to come under scrutiny.

When you compare our core group to that of Geelong, I don't really think Geelong are that much better. The big difference is they don't have hitchers on the forward line.

We need to put Hill under the spotlight. 8 disposals is not good enough even when you kick 3 goals. He's kicked multiple goals against Richmond, North, Melbourne and Essendon. Probably the two against Melbourne in harsh conditions was the most valuable effort, but we need competitive forwards to back up Hall, Higgins and Gia. The selectors dropped Eagleton, yet his average disposals (18) is more than the combined total of Stack and Hill in Fridays game. I'm getting really pissed off with this "players of the future" attitude - it's why we haven't played in a grand final for 50 years and is an attitude that needs to be wiped from the face of the earth if we ever want to play in a grand final again. 100% of the selectors focus should be on winning next weeks game.

Ins: Moles, Everitt, Eagleton

Ward was listed last week as being one week away. I'm guessing that he still won't be available after the 8.5 day break but he should come straight into the side as soon as he's up to it as he's too good to be wasting any time in the VFL and has the ability to play any zone. Ditto Roughead.

Sockeye Salmon
30-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Big-scale changes are called for. The selectors might be reluctant to do this, but Fridays loss probably cost us a top four finals berth and maybe even a place in the final eight.

That is one of the more stupid things I've read on this board and there's a Melbourne Cup field to pick from.

It's May and we're 5th.

Mofra
30-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Sorry but that would be modern footy suicide. I think a lot of our fans fail to realise that Minson spends only about 30% TOG in the ruck. What would be the break down if Roughead comes into the side? Minson's 40% TOG up forward is already a massive liability and I want Hudson in the ruck for as long as possible.
I have to agree here, although I'd prefer we use Roughy instead of a Williams/Everitt pinch hit.
Hudson can comfortably ruck for 80% TOG (and has done so this year against Melbourne), but is rucking at about 70% when Minson is in the side.
This means whenever we put in Minson ahead of Hudson's extra 10% we have reduced ruck output (except when Minson goes the big bash forward), and as stated Minson doesn't provide much of an option up forward.

Roughy is a better forward option, and is competitive at centre bounces/ball up.
He hasn't developed enough to be too much of a competitor at boundary throw ins IMO - but as we've seen over the past couple of weeks, Cross playing third man up negates this deficiency.

turfdog
30-05-2010, 04:37 PM
That is one of the more stupid things I've read on this board and there's a Melbourne Cup field to pick from.

It's May and we're 5th.
I assume you looked at the fixture before saying that. Maybe you can explain your calculations to me.

If we lose to Collingwood next week, we'll go to the half way mark at 6-5. A similar second half-season would see us finish with 12 wins, which would not be enough to go top 4.

Now, in the second half-season, we won't play Collingwood again or St. Kilda, but we have to play Geelong, Essendon again etc.

It generally takes 14 wins to be in the top four at the end of the season, so we would need to win around 8 from 11. We have four interstate games, one at the G against Hawthorn and the Geelong game, so you would be pretty game to say we'd win that many.

Sometimes people lose sight of just how important four points is at this time of the year to teams that are expected to play in the finals.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I have to agree here, although I'd prefer we use Roughy instead of a Williams/Everitt pinch hit.
Hudson can comfortably ruck for 80% TOG (and has done so this year against Melbourne), but is rucking at about 70% when Minson is in the side.
This means whenever we put in Minson ahead of Hudson's extra 10% we have reduced ruck output (except when Minson goes the big bash forward), and as stated Minson doesn't provide much of an option up forward.

Roughy is a better forward option, and is competitive at centre bounces/ball up.
He hasn't developed enough to be too much of a competitor at boundary throw ins IMO - but as we've seen over the past couple of weeks, Cross playing third man up negates this deficiency.

Yep, I think most fans don't think of the breakdowns when assessing what we need from our 2nd ruck. It seems like the consensus see our 2nd ruck role almost being purely a ruck role despite it actually involving slightly more TOG forward than in the ruck. Breakdown for Will would be a touch under 40% TOG forward and a touch over 30% TOG as the ruckman. The ruck work Will does while also playing forward probably means that his practically half ruck, half forward.

I think the main reason we don't value the forward (or anywhere that's not the ruck) component of our 2nd ruck role is because Will is such a liability up forward.

People see it as Will bashing but as I keep on saying, I think he is a decent pure ruckman. However our 2nd ruck role isn't suited to a pure ruckman.

Bulldog4life
30-05-2010, 05:57 PM
This is a crunch game and a must win for us otherwise it will very difficult, although not impossible, for us to finish top 4.

In: Everitt,Moles & Wood.

Out: Stack & Addison both too iffy and not up to it at the moment and Aker.

chef
30-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I assume you looked at the fixture before saying that. Maybe you can explain your calculations to me.

If we lose to Collingwood next week, we'll go to the half way mark at 6-5. A similar second half-season would see us finish with 12 wins, which would not be enough to go top 4.

Now, in the second half-season, we won't play Collingwood again or St. Kilda, but we have to play Geelong, Essendon again etc.

It generally takes 14 wins to be in the top four at the end of the season, so we would need to win around 8 from 11. We have four interstate games, one at the G against Hawthorn and the Geelong game, so you would be pretty game to say we'd win that many.

Sometimes people lose sight of just how important four points is at this time of the year to teams that are expected to play in the finals.

This previous game and the one against the Saints could really come back and bite us on the arse(in terms of where we finish). That being said if we are fit and inform(this is a must) and have close to our best team on the park come September I would back us in from anywhere in the eight against any of the other teams.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 06:13 PM

I agree that Friday nights loss really hurt our top four chances but to say it 'probably cost us a top four finals berth' is too excessive in isolation. What about the poor performances in other games and the 12 upcoming games? We are 5th and only a game outside the top 4. To be honest I don't think any home and away loss in isolation can cost you a top four spot.

I have checked our fixture and compared it to the other top 4 contenders. Freo, Collingwood and us all play the current top 6 four times while Saints have 3 games against them. I don't think the fixture is a massive issue. If we are good enough to make the top four, our current situation shouldn't be an issue.

Before I Die
30-05-2010, 06:59 PM

So you are saying we can't afford to lose more than a maximum of 8 games for the season. It doesn't matter what order you lose these in or who you lose them to. Last year we lose to West Coast and beat Geelong, who predicted that?. Obviously it is better to not lose any games, but you are not out of the top four or in it until the mathematics tells you so.

This thread is about selection changes so comments about who you think should be in or out are most welcome. However, after every loss there is a plethora of "the sky is falling" posts and I share SS's exasperation.

Before I Die
30-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Yep, I think most fans don't think of the breakdowns when assessing what we need from our 2nd ruck. It seems like the consensus see our 2nd ruck role almost being purely a ruck role despite it actually involving slightly more TOG forward than in the ruck. Breakdown for Will would be a touch under 40% TOG forward and a touch over 30% TOG as the ruckman. The ruck work Will does while also playing forward probably means that his practically half ruck, half forward.

I think the main reason we don't value the forward (or anywhere that's not the ruck) component of our 2nd ruck role is because Will is such a liability up forward.

People see it as Will bashing but as I keep on saying, I think he is a decent pure ruckman. However our 2nd ruck role isn't suited to a pure ruckman.

Rocco are these numbers based on your best guesses, or do you have some more reliable source. I am not necessarily disagreeing with your conclusions, but I find it interesting that you are backing up your assertions with figures that are most likely also your own assertions. Hudson had 69% TOG, Minson 76% TOG and Hall 93% TOG, source Sunday Herald Sun. I ssume that Minson rucked for the 31% of game time that Hudson was off the ground. This 31% equates to 41% of Minson's TOG. Hall was only off the ground for 7% of total game time and I doubt if Minson spent much time deep forward next to BBB. Also Huddo had to spend at least some time forward as he kicked a goal. I suspect that you are underestimating quite significantly the amount of time our number two ruckman actually spends in the ruck.

turfdog
30-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I agree that Friday nights loss really hurt our top four chances but to say it 'probably cost us a top four finals berth' is too excessive in isolation. What about the poor performances in other games and the 12 upcoming games? We are 5th and only a game outside the top 4. To be honest I don't think any home and away loss in isolation can cost you a top four spot.

I have checked our fixture and compared it to the other top 4 contenders. Freo, Collingwood and us all play the current top 6 four times while Saints have 3 games against them. I don't think the fixture is a massive issue. If we are good enough to make the top four, our current situation shouldn't be an issue.

What I'm saying is that the urgency and ramifications of a loss on Friday should have been well understood by all (including the selectors) going into the game. It just puts so much more pressure on us to beat Collingwood next week now.

The past two years history doesn't grant us an exemption from having to win games to make it. We can be cool about the fixture but if we lose any more of these games, then we'll soon realize the fixture isn't long enough.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I suspect that you are underestimating quite significantly the amount of time our number two ruckman actually spends in the ruck.

I don't have an official breakdown and on Friday night Hudson spent more time forward than usual IMO.

Perhaps I am underestimating the time Minson spends in the ruck but I really don't think it would be to a 'significant' extent. At the very least, I believe Hudson would spend about 60% of the game in the ruck and I think most weeks it would be closer to 65-70% but lets go with 60% for argument's sake. It means Will spends 40% of his TOG in the ruck and 35% outside of the ruck.

Whatever the official breakdown, a significant role for our 2nd ruck is their ability to play elsewhere because it makes up for at least close to half their TOG.

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 07:24 PM

It's May and we're 5th.

Yes Friday nights loss was another very bad one, poor effort, we are definately capable of making the top four but more consistency and effort is required. Beating the Pies will change the aspect markedly, it is so definately do-able if the selected 22 put their hand up.

For me... Hudson out... let me finish...I know it wont happen... he has been a rock but its time to give him a break and Minson a big job that he can handle... #1 Ruck with the versatile Roughy in to back him up. I would lay it on Minson just how important this game is to him and the side for this year, give the guy a chance to show what he is made of in his best position. Okay, I said it.

Aker out... you name the reasons but form, desire and club culture are mine. Have a rest and a good hard look then come back with a vengeance. In Everitt.. Up forward, be defensive, lock it in, show some magic and kick a few.

Hill or Stack out... We dont have room for both their inconsistency currently. In... f'knows, Willi watchers would know better but Reid, Wood, moles would add something at this stage with Higgins almost permanently half-forward for at least a week until he gets his game on.

Come on Johno and Ward. We miss Callan Ward badly and Johnson is the heart and soul of the club.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 07:26 PM
What I'm saying is that the urgency and ramifications of a loss on Friday should have been well understood by all (including the selectors) going into the game. It just puts so much more pressure on us to beat Collingwood next week now.

The past two years history doesn't grant us an exemption from having to win games to make it. We can be cool about the fixture but if we lose any more of these games, then we'll soon realize the fixture isn't long enough.

I agree with your sentiments just not how you stated it. If we don't make the final four, it won't be 'probably' down to one game but a collection of disappointing games, with the Essendon one being right up there.

Basically I believe from our current situation, if we play like a top four side we should make the top four.

turfdog
30-05-2010, 07:29 PM
So you are saying we can't afford to lose more than a maximum of 8 games for the season. It doesn't matter what order you lose these in or who you lose them to. Last year we lose to West Coast and beat Geelong, who predicted that?. Obviously it is better to not lose any games, but you are not out of the top four or in it until the mathematics tells you so.

This thread is about selection changes so comments about who you think should be in or out are most welcome. However, after every loss there is a plethora of "the sky is falling" posts and I share SS's exasperation.

BID, I already posted my ins and outs in this thread. That was just a response to SS's comment.

None of us like to hear doom and gloom stories, particularly at this time of the year. It's just a fact that a team has to win enough games to make it. There have been several teams win 14 games over the past 10 years or so and not make the top 4. So how do the maths tell you this isn't so?

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 07:40 PM
BID, I already posted my ins and outs in this thread. That was just a response to SS's comment.

None of us like to hear doom and gloom stories, particularly at this time of the year. It's just a fact that a team has to win enough games to make it. There have been several teams win 14 games over the past 10 years or so and not make the top 4. So how do the maths tell you this isn't so?

Only the fact that this year the competition is very even, the dockers aqnd the Saints are in front of us currently but they seem as vunerable as us. Geelong are, damn it, awesome again and the pies look capable of holding onto their spot at this stage.

As an aside, a few people have called for Eags back in, love him but dont see how that makes sense, please explain.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 07:42 PM
For me... Hudson out... let me finish...I know it wont happen... he has been a rock but its time to give him a break and Minson a big job that he can handle... #1 Ruck with the versatile Roughy in to back him up. I would lay it on Minson just how important this game is to him and the side for this year, give the guy a chance to show what he is made of in his best position. Okay, I said it.

A terrible week to rest Hudson for a few reasons:
- We have 9 day break anyway
- It's a massive game against a quality side that we really need to win
- Hudson has a great record against Jolly
- Hudson has been great this year

If Minson had a go at the 1st ruck role I strongly believe he would perform at a higher level than now. I think a lot of fans really struggle to realise just how enormously different our 1st and 2nd ruck roles are at the moment. I know it is a shock to a lot of fans systems having a non ruckman as our 2nd ruck but the modern game is a very different one to that of ruckmen playing in a forward pocket primarily to rest.

I love Freo and Geelong's current use of the 2nd ruck role. I know it's easy when you have Sandi as your 1st ruck but Blake isn't much.

Note: If they put in a real cap on the interchange for next week than I would definitely play a real ruck as our 2nd ruck. Will is really hurt by his limitations elsewhere, Hudson's limitations elsewhere and the modern game.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 07:46 PM
As an aside, a few people have called for Eags back in, love him but dont see how that makes sense, please explain.

Eagle has..
- Struggled with injury all season
- Looked to have dropped some pace
- Looked to have dropped some depth in his kicking
- Has been poor in the games he has played for us this season
- Was poor for Willy this week
- He is shocking against quality opposition

BF might be on the wrong side of borderline but it seems like WOOF is just hanging on to being on the right side of it.

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Eagle has..

BF might be on the wrong side of borderline but it seems like WOOF is just hanging on to being on the right side of it.

Hey Mr TOG I was after the comments of the pro Eag camp lol

chef
30-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Only the fact that this year the competition is very even, the dockers aqnd the Saints are in front of us currently but they seem as vunerable as us. Geelong are, damn it, awesome again and the pies look capable of holding onto their spot at this stage.

Pies are looking shaky to me and they have a very hard run home IMO.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Mr TOG I was after the comments of the pro Eag camp lol

Yeah mate, I know. I was just mocking that camp. :)

chef
30-05-2010, 08:21 PM
In Everitt, Moles and Wood
Out Aker, Higgins and Addison

boydogs
30-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Outs
Stack - not doing enough at this stage
Addison - as above, his tagging has not been very effective either and Picken is back now
Minson - not doing enough outside of the stoppages

Ins
Everitt - put him up forward
Moles - into the middle
Roughead - more suited to being a 2nd ruck

Bumper Bulldogs
30-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Outs
Stack - not doing enough at this stage
Addison - as above, his tagging has not been very effective either and Picken is back now
Minson - not doing enough outside of the stoppages

Ins
Everitt - put him up forward
Moles - into the middle
Roughead - more suited to being a 2nd ruck

Not far off the mark here but i would leave Addison on to Tag Swan/Shaw and let Picken go to a Didak/Pendlebury I think Aker will be the one to add to Minson and Stack.

Could Everitt be the Collingwood boggie player?

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Eagle has..

Rocco
Did you see the Willi game or are you relying on the views of others ?

I attended the Willi game and Eagle was pretty good.
He gave good run and created goals AT VITAL STAGES with his run and disposal. He even put one in the spot for Little to mark OFF HIS RIGHT FOOT.

FWIW
The players who I thought stood out were
Everitt - my BOG
Moles
Eagleton

I will try to get a write up of my views in the Willi v Box Hill thread.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Not far off the mark here but i would leave Addison on to Tag Swan/Shaw and let Picken go to a Didak/Pendlebury

I totally agree with you about playing two tag types against Collingwood but what about Wood instead of Addison.

I think they are about even in terms of skill and mobility but I think Wood is stronger overhead which is a valuable tool for an outside tagger and I also think he is is better at finding his own ball.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-05-2010, 11:16 PM
I totally agree with you about playing two tag types against Collingwood but what about Wood instead of Addison.

I think they are about even in terms of skill and mobility but I think Wood is stronger overhead which is a valuable tool for an outside tagger and I also think he is is better at finding his own ball.

I think we are splitting hairs here and after the knock to the head of DFA he needed this week to get things back in order.

I like the looks of Wood but would go with Addison as a make or break game and put it all on the line.

Nothing to loss as Wood gets another game of match fitness under his belt.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Rocco

He gave good run and created goals AT VITAL STAGES with his run and disposal. He even put one in the spot for Little to mark OFF HIS RIGHT FOOT.

I have read the views of a couple of posters but I definitely rate your reviews. Was he AFL VFL good or VFL VFL good if that makes sense? Basically I think any near AFL mature midfielder with a few tricks can 'cheat' and dominate running one way (i.e Guy O'Keefe's Williamstown career).

Still, I think my other points stand. I would have Moles and Wood ahead of him.

I think Wood can take over Dylan's role and I would like us to play two negating types against Collingwood. Heath Shaw really struggles to shake off forward tags. It seems like Eade isn't really a fan of forward having a tag role as their primary focus but I love to see one this week.

I also believe Moles can add value by helping out in midfield rotations.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I think we are splitting hairs here and after the knock to the head of DFA he needed this week to get things back in order.

I like the looks of Wood but would go with Addison as a make or break game and put it all on the line.

Nothing to loss as Wood gets another game of match fitness under his belt.

Yep, I definitely agree with the core of belief. As much as I rate Wood over DFA, I do agree that it's a tough ask to come in against the Pies.

For the Willy watchers, how do you guys think Wood would go as a defensive forward? I know he is a strong mark overhead but his disposal is poor. Does he have a decent sense of where the goals are? I know Picken is very defensive minded but I love his goal sense. Also does he have the acceleration and tackle aspect?

I think Sam Reid could be a quality option there when he is fit enough.

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I have read the views of a couple of posters but I definitely rate your reviews. Was he AFL VFL good or VFL VFL good if that makes sense? Basically I think any near AFL mature midfielder with a few tricks can 'cheat' and dominate running one way (i.e Guy O'Keefe's Williamstown career).

Still, I think my other points stand. I would have Moles and Wood ahead of him.

I think Wood can take over Dylan's role and I would like us to play two negating types against Collingwood. Heath Shaw really struggles to shake off forward tags. It seems like Eade isn't really a fan of forward having a tag role as their primary focus but I love to see one this week.

I also believe Moles can add value by helping out in midfield rotations.

I understand your point and he was actually more AFL good.
You actually made me think about his performance and he got involved in contested footy and laid tackles effectively as well.
I do think he benefited from being ahead of VFL players, in thinkling and reaction, resulting in him generally able to get his disposal away effectively without the AFL standard pressure.
Having said that, I also recall watching the VFL opener (on TV) where Eagle was superb. This week was below that standard.

Sockeye Salmon
31-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Rocco

FWIW
The players who I thought stood out were
Everitt - my BOG
Moles
Eagleton

I will try to get a write up of my views in the Willi v Box Hill thread.

Joe,

I'll back Rocco up.

I went Saturday and I thought Eagle was poor.

Everitt, Roughead, Moles and Wood are the only listed players I thought were worthy of consideration.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 06:33 AM
I understand your point and he was actually more AFL good.
You actually made me think about his performance and he got involved in contested footy and laid tackles effectively as well.
I do think he benefited from being ahead of VFL players, in thinkling and reaction, resulting in him generally able to get his disposal away effectively without the AFL standard pressure.
Having said that, I also recall watching the VFL opener (on TV) where Eagle was superb. This week was below that standard.

I was at the game and for what it is worth I thought that Wood, Moles and Roughead may have been more effective than the Eagle, Wood is going OK and Roughy was BOG, so we do have a couple of options. Eagle should stay at Willy for a week or two until he totally dominates at this level.

stefoid
31-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Aker and Higgins at the least are labouring under injury, and we have the break coming up soonish, what about the possibility of resting both of those guys until after the break in an effort to get them 'right' for the second half of the season?

I have been one of eagleton's biggest critics for a number of years, but to me, the team looks to be lacking attacking spark, and despite eagles deficiencies, he can be relied on to at least provide a target going forward, and a long kick if he gets on the end of it.

IN: Ego, Moles, Everitt
OUT: Aker, Higgins, Stack

why?
A fit Ego to give us about the same as an injured higgins, but at least higgins gets a chance to recover

Everitt to give us more up forward than an injured aker

Moles to give us more than Stack, full stop.

G-Mo77
31-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I have been one of eagleton's biggest critics for a number of years, but to me, the team looks to be lacking attacking spark, and despite eagles deficiencies, he can be relied on to at least provide a target going forward, and a long kick if he gets on the end of it.

why?
A fit Ego to give us about the same as an injured higgins, but at least higgins gets a chance to recover

I really think that sends a really poor message. From what I have heard Eagleton wasn't that great on Saturday and he gets a gig with the 1's? What message does that send to the guys that are consistently playing well? I really think it's now time to look at life after Eagleton. I hear what you are saying but Eagleton has not provided any of those things you listed all season.

Is Johnno a chance this week?

stefoid
31-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Wasnt he in the bests for Willi?

Its more about resting Higgins than promoting Eagleton. I think Moles is a certainty to be promoted, regardless.

G-Mo77
31-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Wasnt he in the bests for Willi?

Its more about resting Higgins than promoting Eagleton. I think Moles is a certainty to be promoted, regardless.

Nope.

2010 VFL Seniors

Williamstown 2.4 6.9 8.13 17.15 (117)
Box Hill Hawks 4.4 4.6 9.8 11.10 (76)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Little 5 Everitt 2 Rose 2 Jones 2 Moles Hooper Daniels Reid Callan Roughead
Box Hill Hawks: Lisle 2 Fagan 2 Gibson 2 Moss Breust Stokes Dowler Kayler-Thomson

BEST:
Williamstown: Roughead Everitt Johnson Wood Little Reid
Box Hill Hawks: Curnow Fagan Schoenmakers Muston Moss Breust

Mantis
31-05-2010, 12:22 PM

Moles plays midfield, Stack plays as a forward - I don't understand your justification for this change.

Bulldog Joe
31-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Nope.

2010 VFL Seniors

Williamstown 2.4 6.9 8.13 17.15 (117)
Box Hill Hawks 4.4 4.6 9.8 11.10 (76)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Little 5 Everitt 2 Rose 2 Jones 2 Moles Hooper Daniels Reid Callan Roughead
Box Hill Hawks: Lisle 2 Fagan 2 Gibson 2 Moss Breust Stokes Dowler Kayler-Thomson

BEST:
Williamstown: Roughead Everitt Johnson Wood Little Reid
Box Hill Hawks: Curnow Fagan Schoenmakers Muston Moss Breust

The VFL bests are not reliable.
Eagleton was in my bests (my opinion I know) but definitely contributed more than Reid and Wood was more a last quarter burst.

Incidentally I also thought Schoenmakers was poor for Box Hill and Muston and Dowler were both pretty ordinary. Muston played on Little, conceded 5 goals and was clearly beaten in several contests but still made the best players.

Ozza
31-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I think with Stack, he is a young player of less than 15 games so we have to expect that he will have fluctuations in form. i'd have been happy enough for him to stay in the side - although given we are playing Collingwood this week - who have very football-smart defenders who read the play well - my feeling is Stack may get a bit exposed this week.

Will be interesting to see how he goes if he does hold his spot. I still enjoy his attack on the footy - he really seems to hungry for the contest.

Sockeye Salmon
31-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Eagleton was in my bests (my opinion I know) but definitely contributed more than Reid and Wood was more a last quarter burst.

Incidentally I also thought Schoenmakers was poor for Box Hill and Muston and Dowler were both pretty ordinary. Muston played on Little, conceded 5 goals and was clearly beaten in several contests but still made the best players.

I thought Reid was ordinary. He looked as if he was still injured. Wood was flashy in the last 1/4 with his runs through the middle but I thought he was solid up until then anyway.

Muston is a 1st rate tool. We were able to rip into him from over the fence and get a bite. He never stop mouthing off at his opponents, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Little kicked 5 (and missed at least 3). Even his teammates seemed to be under instructions to keep at him with contant comments like, "c'mon Beau, mind on the job".

Mantis
31-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I think with Stack, he is a young player of less than 15 games so we have to expect that he will have fluctuations in form. i'd have been happy enough for him to stay in the side - although given we are playing Collingwood this week - who have very football-smart defenders who read the play well - my feeling is Stack may get a bit exposed this week.

Will be interesting to see how he goes if he does hold his spot. I still enjoy his attack on the footy - he really seems to hungry for the contest.

I am happy for him to have another go especially when we already have other forwards in Murphy and Johnson already out. (we will probably also lose Aker)

It will no doubt be a big test for Brennan, but one he must face such that we get a good idea of where he is at in regard to his development.

chef
31-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Aker and Higgins at the least are labouring under injury, and we have the break coming up soonish, what about the possibility of resting both of those guys until after the break in an effort to get them 'right' for the second half of the season?

IN: Ego, Moles, Everitt
OUT: Aker, Higgins, Stack

why?

Everitt to give us more up forward than an injured aker

I'd rather not play either of them if that's the case, especially when we a couple of fit players at Willi ready for a game.

chef
31-05-2010, 01:28 PM

How was his speed, gut running and penetration with his kicking?

These three things need to be at his best for him to return otherwise he's just a liability.

Desipura
31-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I am happy for him to have another go especially when we already have other forwards in Murphy and Johnson already out. (we will probably also lose Aker)

It will no doubt be a big test for Brennan, but one he must face such that we get a good idea of where he is at in regard to his development.
Im not too sure that I would risk playing him, I just cannot see him performing on the big stage. Bring in Moles and play Higgins in the forward line.

stefoid
31-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Moles plays midfield, Stack plays as a forward - I don't understand your justification for this change.

I wasnt thinking about positions, just output. If you want to relate it to positions, you could say that having Moles in the midfield would enable us to rest some midfielders up forward, like Higgins (if he is retained in the side), Guido, or the Coon.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 07:20 PM
After his performance against Essendon, Higgins cannot play in the seniors this week. If he's injured then he needs time to recover and if his injury is no excuse for his shocker then he needs to play for Williamstown. Either way, he must not line up in the seniors this week after a performance like that.

Our forward line isn't working. The players get drawn up the ground far too often (no good will ever come from Barry Hall marking the ball ninety metres out from goal); too many passes are directed to stationary targets; our half forwards consistently join 25 man stoppages instead of pushing back into space to provide an option; we don't have a team focus on decoy leads or shepherding to make space for other team members; our small forwards don't get to enough contests and aren't great crumbers when they do; our tackling pressure is sporadic; we are too focussed on Barry Hall; and we have struggled all year to play through a lead up centre half forward which has proven so crucial to our play in the past (Murphy's season before his injury was not particularly good).

Our coaches have a lot of work to do to get our forward line into working order and can start this week at the selection table. It's time to play Everett in the lead up centre half forward role. He's a reasonably smart player with a decent mark and a terrific kick and for years he has looked like a natural forward and not a defender. His extra height and speed could make him a decent target and would hopefully add a key component to our forward line.

A forward line with Hall, Grant and Everett will require some decent smalls around them. I'd give Stack another week as he at least isn't the bulldog standard medium sized forward (at least he tries to play small) and play Gia forward to work off one of Collingwood's less accountable defenders to give them something to worry about.

Wood is a much more attacking player than Addison and is also hard at the ball. He will run and carry, demand the ball from his teammates and is much better in the air. At Williamstown this year he has let himself down with some poor disposal, but he remains a better option than Addison.

Aker needs a rest to get his body right.

In: Everett, Wood, Moles

Out: Higgins, Addison, Akermanis

I'd also like to see Roughead replace Minson and couldn't care less either way about Eagleton replacing Hill. That said; the day Rocket drops four or five players in one week is the day he grows a new head of hair.

bornadog
31-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Apparently Johnno trained well today, so you never know.

Rocco Jones
31-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Please no.

Maxwell, Shaw and Harry O will be licking their lips at the prospect of playing against us as it is.

bornadog
31-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Please no.

Maxwell, Shaw and Harry O will be licking their lips at the prospect of playing against us as it is.

Could be in for Aker;)

Bulldog Joe
01-06-2010, 01:04 AM
How was his speed, gut running and penetration with his kicking?

These three things need to be at his best for him to return otherwise he's just a liability.

His run was generally good, but VFL does not have the same quick end to end movement of AFL.
At Willi the game was played predominately at one end so there was not often the space to run. He did however, create a bit in the quarters against the wind and was certainly instrumental in the goals in the third through his run and also some good offensive run from Everitt.

Eagle's kicking was also pretty good and he mostly put the ball in the right spot. He does seem to have lost some of his kicking depth, but Willi is a hard ground with so much wind.

chef
01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
His run was generally good, but VFL does not have the same quick end to end movement of AFL.
At Willi the game was played predominately at one end so there was not often the space to run. He did however, create a bit in the quarters against the wind and was certainly instrumental in the goals in the third through his run and also some good offensive run from Everitt.

Eagle's kicking was also pretty good and he mostly put the ball in the right spot. He does seem to have lost some of his kicking depth, but Willi is a hard ground with so much wind.

Thanks BJ.

chef
01-06-2010, 08:56 AM

No way he should be back without a game at Willi.

Mantis
01-06-2010, 09:14 AM
In: Moles, Everitt, Wood

Out: Akermanis, Higgins, Addison

If Higgins is passed fit and they think he can improve of last weeks efforts (which shouldn't be hard) one of Hahn or Stack should make way.

stefoid
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
I dont think its our forward line specifically, but our general style of play. After 10 rounds, including 4 losses, we are second on the POINTS AGAINST ladder, a sniff behind the boring and ultra-defensive Saints. whereas last year we were 1st for POINTS FOR, this year we are only 5th.

We cant blame all of that on the low scoring game against the saints and the mud against the dees -- it must be part of rockets plan to not leak as many goals as we traditionally have.

Whats the reason, are we zoning as well now, or are we specifically taking less risks by avoiding bringing the ball through the center of the ground, or what?

In any case, I think in the overall scheme for things its not a bad plan to improve defensively, but we have to maintain our ability to be a top 3 scoring side at the same time, like Geelong is, or we run the risk of not even making the top 4 by dropping too many games in our adjustment phase.

After his performance against Essendon, Higgins cannot play in the seniors this week. If he's injured then he needs time to recover and if his injury is no excuse for his shocker then he needs to play for Williamstown. Either way, he must not line up in the seniors this week after a performance like that.

Our forward line isn't working. The players get drawn up the ground far too often (no good will ever come from Barry Hall marking the ball ninety metres out from goal); too many passes are directed to stationary targets; our half forwards consistently join 25 man stoppages instead of pushing back into space to provide an option; we don't have a team focus on decoy leads or shepherding to make space for other team members; our small forwards don't get to enough contests and aren't great crumbers when they do; our tackling pressure is sporadic; we are too focussed on Barry Hall; and we have struggled all year to play through a lead up centre half forward which has proven so crucial to our play in the past (Murphy's season before his injury was not particularly good).

Our coaches have a lot of work to do to get our forward line into working order and can start this week at the selection table. It's time to play Everett in the lead up centre half forward role. He's a reasonably smart player with a decent mark and a terrific kick and for years he has looked like a natural forward and not a defender. His extra height and speed could make him a decent target and would hopefully add a key component to our forward line.

A forward line with Hall, Grant and Everett will require some decent smalls around them. I'd give Stack another week as he at least isn't the bulldog standard medium sized forward (at least he tries to play small) and play Gia forward to work off one of Collingwood's less accountable defenders to give them something to worry about.

Wood is a much more attacking player than Addison and is also hard at the ball. He will run and carry, demand the ball from his teammates and is much better in the air. At Williamstown this year he has let himself down with some poor disposal, but he remains a better option than Addison.

Aker needs a rest to get his body right.

In: Everett, Wood, Moles

Out: Higgins, Addison, Akermanis

I'd also like to see Roughead replace Minson and couldn't care less either way about Eagleton replacing Hill. That said; the day Rocket drops four or five players in one week is the day he grows a new head of hair.

comrade
01-06-2010, 06:34 PM

If Higgins is passed fit and they think he can improve of last weeks efforts (which shouldn't be hard) one of Hahn or Stack should make way.

Swap Hahn with Higgins (which you alluded to anyway) and that's exactly how I'd have it.

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Agree, give Wood a go - I dont think theres anymore else he can do for a spot. Id like to see Everitt come back in for Stack or Higgins if hes not 100%. Wanna see Addison stick around for another week, hard body against Collingwoods over-rated midfield would be a good move.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Hoping Wood is given an opportunity too. Thought he was impressive in the pre-season training as far as effort and commitment was concerned. I haven't been able to watch any Williamstown games this year, but I like the way he plays. Still needs to improve certain areas of his game, but it'd be nice if we could get 5+ games into him as he'll probably play a lot more next season.

becmatty
02-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Out: Akermanis, Stack
In: Everitt, Moles

Addison fortunate, and will have to do something special to retain spot, with Ward likely to return...
Minson to just hold out Roughy.

becmatty
02-06-2010, 07:40 AM
In Everitt, Moles and Wood
Out Aker, Higgins and Addison

To drop Higgins is ridiculous. You are not the only one to make this silly statement however. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water...

chef
02-06-2010, 07:51 AM
To drop Higgins is ridiculous. You are not the only one to make this silly statement however. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water...

He does not look fit to me. His disposal, decision making, intensity and non chasing are a liability in a team that needs everyone working together IMO. We can't afford to carry anyone.

Were you impressed with his effort against the Bombers?

I would rather getting him right for september.

becmatty
02-06-2010, 08:03 AM
I was unimpressed with Higgins Chef, along with about a dozen others. But I'm not the one sharpening the axe.

Were you impressed with (aside from Addison who you 'dropped') Minson, Stack, Cooney, Hahn, Morris, Williams, Hill and Gia?...they were all ordinary for the most part, so why not drop them?

...No, I think you'd agree that a knee-jerk reaction to a bad game is not the answer. Successful teams are built on stability and we cannot afford to dispose of someone of Higgins' class.

with Aker out of the side, Higgo is essential on the half forward line and will relish the additional responsibility.

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 04:25 PM
becmatty, do you think Higgins is carrying an injury? I don't think anyone has called for him to have a rest because of lack of effort. I think you might be jumping before seeing what's infront of you.

You mentioned last week that you were glad a few people on here weren't on the selection committee regarding Eagleton being dropped...

EasternWest
02-06-2010, 04:50 PM

He's injured. Rest him.

If not, then let him find some form in the twos. His absence as a positive in our side is really hurting us.

divvydan
02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Just a quick question as I was unable to find the answer on the club website or in any news articles. Have either Thorne or Cordy been placed on the LTI List? One would need to have been or be placed on the list if Moles were to be available to play this week and was trying to get confirmation that it has been done.

chef
02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I was unimpressed with Higgins Chef, along with about a dozen others. But I'm not the one sharpening the axe.

Were you impressed with (aside from Addison who you 'dropped') Minson, Stack, Cooney, Hahn, Morris, Williams, Hill and Gia?...they were all ordinary for the most part, so why not drop them?

...No, I think you'd agree that a knee-jerk reaction to a bad game is not the answer. Successful teams are built on stability and we cannot afford to dispose of someone of Higgins' class.

with Aker out of the side, Higgo is essential on the half forward line and will relish the additional responsibility.

Fair enough, but we'll have to agree to disagree on Higgins. He just doesn't look fit to me and I don't see the point in carrying him(and we can't really afford it).

Greystache
02-06-2010, 07:17 PM
He's injured. Rest him.

If not, then let him find some form in the twos. His absence as a positive in our side is really hurting us.

Agree 100%

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Successful teams are built on stability and we cannot afford to dispose of someone of Higgins' class.

Successful teams are built on performance; not reputation.

Eade said yesterday that Aker would win his spot back with form and fitness. Looking back over the past nine weeks; which of those two boxes has Higgins ticked?

That he is carrying a groin injury is beyond doubt. He has had one week off already and every radio reporter in our rooms after each game has mentioned his 'soreness' as an injury that we've taken out of the game.

The injury is clearly affecting his play. He is nowhere near as clean as he once was below his knees; his skills on his left side have deserted him (and they are usually pristine) and he isn't chasing his opponents or working into space to receive the ball. To make matters worse, his confidence has dropped (probably due to the limitations on his body) and his decision making is poor.

I'm with dfa4pm. If he's injured then we must rest him to get him right for the finals and if he's not then he must return to Williamstown (as Cal Ward did last year) to find some form and confidence.

It is neither silly nor ridiculous to drop a player so obviously lacking in form and fitness. It would be silly to keep him because of his reputation or efforts last year.

The Coon Dog
02-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Just a quick question as I was unable to find the answer on the club website or in any news articles. Have either Thorne or Cordy been placed on the LTI List? One would need to have been or be placed on the list if Moles were to be available to play this week and was trying to get confirmation that it has been done.

Thorne is on the LTI, though it won't matter after this week as all sides can elevate a rookie after round 11.

comrade
02-06-2010, 09:37 PM

becmatty says Higgins should stay = Higgins definitely getting dropped this week.

Hotdog60
02-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Thorne is on the LTI, though it won't matter after this week as all sides can elevate a rookie after round 11.

TCD, is it worth elevating Hooper or Rose. Are any of our rookies worthy of elevation for the second half of the season?

The Coon Dog
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
TCD, is it worth elevating Hooper or Rose. Are any of our rookies worthy of elevation for the second half of the season?

Probably best to ask those regularly watch Williamstown.

I wouldn't want to see someone elevated for the sake of it. To do so, would immediately mean paying more money, not a decision to be taken lightly.

Only elevate a rookie if form or necessity warrants it.

Hotdog60
02-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Probably best to ask those regularly watch Williamstown.

I wouldn't want to see someone elevated for the sake of it. To do so, would immediately mean paying more money, not a decision to be taken lightly.

Only elevate a rookie if form or necessity warrants it.

I didn't realize they get a pay rise, I suppose you become a senior player.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 01:12 AM
I feel Wood must be really close to getting a run some time soon as he has been in great form for Willi

stefoid
03-06-2010, 10:41 AM
congrats on having the first Spock avatar - he has really made it now!

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I would love to see Rose elevated. Could take on that Aker-type small crumbing forward role around Bazza..

BornInDroopSt'54
03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I would love to see Rose elevated. Could take on that Aker-type small crumbing forward role around Bazza..

Yes. He has that hungry goal sense of Kevin Bartlett. Get him in the team.

macca
04-06-2010, 02:27 AM

Surely its time to give a rookie or two a look, since thats what they are in for. Why can't we bring in a rookie for Murphy ? Is Aker's sabatical enough to bring someone else in ? See what they got to offer. Round 11, and only 10 rounds to go....

Its also time Eade start playing the kids more, Wood and Reid give them 3-4 games at least this year.

I really think this year's lack of depth has been exposed due to limited games to the 2-3 year players last year. Should've dropped Eagleton and Hahn when they werent performing. But, Everitt and Grant have been good this year.