PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Higgins

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I apologise if there is another thread on this already, but i have been watching Higgins for quite sometime now and have come to the opinion that he is overrated and is a soft show pony. The fact that he was given Scott West's number 7 counts for nothing and he is so far from showing any of the grit / hardness that Westy showed over his career, it is not funny.

He has great skills, yes, but when was the last time that he was named in our bests? When was the last time that he had a significant impact on winning a game for us? When was the last time you saw him win a really hard contested ball?

Maybe my criticism of him is mis-guided as i have mainly been watching him on TV coverage, but really whenever i see him, he is getting beaten in a contested ball situation through a lack of hardness, or he is looking good running out in the open. If he is really part of our leadership group and a future captain - he is really going to have to develop a harder edge to his game.

I thought he was terrible against Essendon and I would hate to think that we would ever be looking to him to give us some real drive and match winning ability. Cooney / Griffen / Picken / Boyd are all so far ahead of him.

Am i on my own with this criticism as i have only ever heard Dogs fans praising him and saying how silky he is?

Rocco Jones
29-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I apologise if there is another thread on this already, but i have been watching Higgins for quite sometime now and have come to the opinion that he is overrated and is a soft show pony. The fact that he was given Scott West's number 7 counts for nothing and he is so far from showing any of the grit / hardness that Westy showed over his career, it is not funny.

If his body was right the 'soft show pony' call wouldn't be far off the mark but it clearly looks like he is carrying a dodgy groin and looks very limited in his running. It's always easier to run forward but I think by the time the ball is turned out he is spent and really struggles to apply defensive pressure.

Whatever the problem is, he looks a liability when the opposition gains the ball in our back half. He is only running one way at the moment and I think it's pretty clear to the oppositon.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I have thought for a while that he is lazy, he doesn't offer anything on the defensive side of things.

Whether or not it's because he is carry an injury, i am not so sure. If he is carrying an injury, then the coaching panel aren't doing him any favours. At the end of the day, if you cross the white line then your fit to play.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I have thought for a while that he is lazy, he doesn't offer anything on the defensive side of things.

Whether or not it's because he is carry an injury, i am not so sure. If he is carrying an injury, then the coaching panel aren't doing him any favours. At the end of the day, if you cross the white line then your fit to play.

I second this..

If he (or anyone for that fact) is injured rest them - it is too much of a risk to carried injuried players.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I would fail to see why the selection committee would play anyone if/when he is not close to 100% in a home & away game, where he is not a hugely important player. And that is just my point - he isnt an important player for us because he hasnt been a regular performer for us. I cant remember the last time that he was in our bests (maybe it is just my bad memory). When did he last play a game where he won regular contested possessions?

It is just so frustrating when you see a player with all the skills, who was provided with a leadership role early in his career and the opportunity to really make his mark, when he fails to dig deep and have a red hot go. There is no hardness in his game at all.

I saw footage last night of Eade taking him aside at 3qtr time - i have no idea what he said to him, but it should have been: toughen up and make a mark on the game! If you consider yourself a future captain of the club - the first thing you need to show us is that you want to set a good example.

I am not just looking at last nights game in isolation as there were plenty of other guys down on their game, but Higgins has been a concern for a while as far as i have seen it!

Thats my rant over.....

chef
29-05-2010, 05:25 PM

My thoughts too. He shouldn't be out there if he isn't fit enough to contribute meaningfully.

EasternWest
29-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Higgins is an incredible footballer who simply doesn't work hard enough, and is prone to not committing to a contest.

I think the softer sides of his games are fortunately those that can be worked on and so I believe he will develop in those areas as he matures.

He's clearly injured right now and should be rested.

Greystache
29-05-2010, 05:57 PM
If he's injured he shouldn't play next week, if the club think he's fine he should be playing for Willi next week.

His game last night was one of the worst performances by a suppossed senior player in recent memory. He had a direct hand in 4 or 5 of Essendons goals.

boydogs
29-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Shaun Higgins = Gary Ablett jnr circa 2006?

cinder
29-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I had high hopes for Higgins. I think the has the potential to be great but I do think he has an injury problem at the moment. Sometimes I get the feeling he doesn't quite seem to give it 100% but I would hope that's due to the injury.

bornadog
29-05-2010, 06:28 PM
IF he is injured, then don't play him. He has not had a good season to date.

Topdog
29-05-2010, 06:39 PM

no..

chef
29-05-2010, 06:44 PM

I wish.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Everyone including the media says that he is a champion. Im yet to see this and I think Higgins himself thinks it without ever doing the hard things.Overrated and a blugger!!!

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Everyone including the media says that he is a champion. Im yet to see this and I think Higgins himself thinks it without ever doing the hard things.Overrated and a blugger!!!

Wouldn't read much into that, they all thought Nathan Brown was as well.

Scorlibo
29-05-2010, 06:50 PM

no..

I wish.

Seems like a fair comment to me, gogriff is referring to how Ablett was a player with all the potential but none of the work ethic before pulling his finger out and becoming a very good player in 2007. It's common for it to click in a player's 5th or 6th year, Cooney had a breakout year in his 5th season, Griffen this year in his 6th, so perhaps it will be next year for Higgo in his 6th also.

chef
29-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Seems like a fair comment to me, gogriff is referring to how Ablett was a player with all the potential but none of the work ethic before pulling his finger out and becoming a very good player in 2007. It's common for it to click in a player's 5th or 6th year, Cooney had a breakout year in his 5th season, Griffen this year in his 6th, so perhaps it will be next year for Higgo in his 6th also.

Double post, please delete

chef
29-05-2010, 06:58 PM

I wasn't disagreeing, just hoping that's it's true.

The Pie Man
29-05-2010, 07:31 PM
So I have no idea re: the severity of his injury, but I'm left wondering if the one week only was going to make any positive difference to it?

J Brown's probably not the best example as he's clearly hampered by his inury and his output has been well down since they played us, but you hear in the media that it's manageable and he won't do anymore damage to it while playing, so he keeps playing. I assume the decision has been made that a week here or there isn't going to make any difference.

Higgins has a week off, and then puts in a stinker. I don't say that lightly, I love him as a footballer.

Topdog
29-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Thats all well and good but it is like when someone says 'xxx is the next Jordan'. It's right 1 in a million times and I can't imagine Higgo being anywhere near the GAJ level.

Personally I am still yet to see what all the fuss is about with Higgins. Can do some magical things but doesn't do anything consistently and IMO is never good when we are bad.

craigsahibee
29-05-2010, 07:51 PM
It looks as if he is playing hurt, but after 10 games others will be hurt but they may not show it as obviously as Shaun is at the moment. I must admit his approach this year has looked "softish".

He has been disappointing so far this year and like all others before me have mentioned, if he is not right, don't play him. We are not travelling well enough at the moment to afford to carry anyone.

LostDoggy
29-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Acker looks unfit. Higgins look out of sorts. Last year we had Reid playing injured. Tiller playing injured. Johno looked lame at times. When has playing injured players ever payed off.

Pedro Sanchez
30-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Na these comments are too harsh... You cant coach quality and the guy is struggling with injury - he'll be right when it counts.

Flags arent won on 28 May...

AndrewP6
30-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Na these comments are too harsh... You cant coach quality and the guy is struggling with injury - he'll be right when it counts.

Flags arent won on 28 May...

No, but on current form, we may not even make September 1st...

Swoop
30-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Acker looks unfit. Higgins look out of sorts. Last year we had Reid playing injured. Tiller playing injured. Johno looked lame at times. When has playing injured players ever payed off.

It probably has payed off on numerous occasions however when they play well no one questions them, not to mention the fact that we don't know the real happenings within the inner sanctum.

I would argue that Dale Morris' contribution in the latter stages of last year to play with a hairline fracture payed off, one of many players who played with injuries and still performed.

I understand your point of view but it's a too simplistic to argue that playing injured players doesn't pay off when majority of players would be playing with some sort of niggle.

Hotdog60
30-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Wasn't it mentioned earlier in the year that Higgo had groin issues and that they would have to manage it. Maybe he's only 60-70% fit and hence doesn't push himself.

If it's something that surgery would fix and he would miss 4 months wouldn't it be better to get it done. Rather then struggling with his game.

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I hate to bring this thread up again, but i have said for the past few seasons that Higgins is not a leader and, despite his silky skills, refuses to put his head over the ball and win a hard contested posession. Last year he had the excuse of his injuries, this year he has none. He has, from all reports, had a big pre-season and then today, he gives us nothing when the going gets tough. He is not doing the #7 jumper proud at all in my mind.

I would love to be proven wrong, but i maintain that he should have been traded for a high draft pick (if anyone was interested) either last year or the year before.

It really gets to me as well that as soon as he gets the ball in space, the commentators call him 'Classy Higgins' - it really gets up my nose.

Show some ticker and leadership, and maybe, just maybe, we will stop calling you 'Missy'.

SonofScray
27-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Ordinary effort today I agree. He does not deserve the worship he gets from a lot of fans. He showed a flash of brilliance today before turning in an hour or so of insipid football. He had dramas last year though so I'll give him 5 weeks to prove he is worth it before I put him right in the gun.

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Ordinary effort today I agree. He does not deserve the worship he gets from a lot of fans. He showed a flash of brilliance today before turning in an hour or so of insipid football. He had dramas last year though so I'll give him 5 weeks to prove he is worth it before I put him right in the gun.

I've always felt that he fights Gia to 1st use of the Mirror in the rooms or is too busy looking at himself on the Big Screen

always right
27-03-2011, 10:29 PM
In a team of poor performers today I thought he at least fought the game out. Usually amongst the obvious scapegoats in our team but he was far from our worst today. There was a bloke running around with number 17 on his back who is supposed to be our best player. Zero influence today yet no criticism. Oh that's right.....interrupted pre-season.:rolleyes: Funny how Rocket believed he was flying coming into this game.

SonofScray
27-03-2011, 10:32 PM
In a team of poor performers today I thought he at least fought the game out. Usually amongst the obvious scapegoats in our team but he was far from our worst today. There was a bloke running around with number 17 on his back who is supposed to be our best player. Zero influence today yet no criticism. Oh that's right.....interrupted pre-season.:rolleyes: Funny how Rocket believed he was flying coming into this game.

Cooney was shocking today, no doubt. I wish our 'guns' would actually start playing like that, with an audacious and intense belief that they are in fact gun players. We get very little out of the guys carrying that label.

EasternWest
27-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I've always felt that he fights Gia to 1st use of the Mirror in the rooms or is too busy looking at himself on the Big Screen

I'm yet to see a player that doesn't look at themself on the screen.

I think this is a worthless assessment of a player and their character.

I've always felt (and said) that for all his ability, I'm not sure Higgins works hard enough. He's one of those guys that seems to cruise rather than bust his gut.

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Cooney was shocking today, no doubt. I wish our 'guns' would actually start playing like that, with an audacious and intense belief that they are in fact gun players. We get very little out of the guys carrying that label.

Was Cooney there today? He musta been on the bench each time I was watching the game so I missed him :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Didn't think he was that bad today, had him as my third best for Marmo votes.

His efficiency when he had the ball was good, got 10 contested possessions. Downsides were not being able to get on the scoreboard & his lack of forward pressure, which is why he only had 1 tackle for the game.

BulldogBelle
27-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Can anyone actually point to a game or a period of time where Higgins played well enough to get the tag of being 'classy' from commentators in the first place?
I can't think of a series of games that he's strung together that would warrant the tag!

Greystache
27-03-2011, 11:49 PM

How many players get given that tag as some sort of bullet proof vest from criticism? Gillbee, Williams, Gia, Stack, Hill, Addison, Hargrave, Minson, Higgins, Hahn. Seriously that line gets trotted out every time one of them plays poorly.

Cooney had 17 touches in the first half and had some influence, his second half was shit. Some players today would have loved to only have one shit half.

Higgins has played the last 2 years like a millionaire with $50 in the bank, it's overdue he was called on it.

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Can anyone actually point to a game or a period of time where Higgins played well enough to get the tag of being 'classy' from commentators in the first place?
I can't think of a series of games that he's strung together that would warrant the tag!

Exactly my point 2Pot - maybe if he didnt think he was that good, then he would work harder to fulfill his potential. He really is not that good and has never turned a game for us. He is the ultimate downhill skier in my books and that really annoys me.

LostDoggy
28-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Exactly my point 2Pot - maybe if he didnt think he was that good, then he would work harder to fulfill his potential. He really is not that good and has never turned a game for us. He is the ultimate downhill skier in my books and that really annoys me.

Collingwood 2007 at Etihad stands out in my mind, kicked 4 (including the winner) and was the real catalyst for us winning the game.

If only we could get this out of him every week.

anfo27
28-03-2011, 12:05 AM
I hate to bring this thread up again, but i have said for the past few seasons that Higgins is not a leader and, despite his silky skills, refuses to put his head over the ball and win a hard contested posession. Last year he had the excuse of his injuries, this year he has none. He has, from all reports, had a big pre-season and then today, he gives us nothing when the going gets tough. He is not doing the #7 jumper proud at all in my mind.

I would love to be proven wrong, but i maintain that he should have been traded for a high draft pick (if anyone was interested) either last year or the year before.

It really gets to me as well that as soon as he gets the ball in space, the commentators call him 'Classy Higgins' - it really gets up my nose.

Show some ticker and leadership, and maybe, just maybe, we will stop calling you 'Missy'.

Thats like buying an investment in stocks or property and selling before you have made a profit. We should be looking at trading players that have given us value over the years and won't get any better but still have some decent value on the market ie:Boyd or Gia.

Stefcep
28-03-2011, 01:04 AM
The guy's had fitness and health issues. He's a class finisher, and a very intelligent footballer. If we don't want him, I guarantee there'll be other clubs that will have him.

Mofra
28-03-2011, 10:51 AM
There was one passage of play on the HF line when he stood up through two tackles & delivered the ball to Gia, who has quick hands and dribbled a goal. He can do it.

I hope he hasn't been annointed the new scapegoat on the back of a smashing when the entire midfield was poor.

Ozza
28-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd have liked to see Higgins and Gia going into the midfield at stages. Our disposal was poor and the pair of them are good users, who were in a forward line that only saw it 30 times for the game.

Higgins got up a bit higher and eventually got a bit of it - but his intensity (or lack of it) wasnt a great look on a couple of occasions.

He was far from our worst - but we are right to expect more.

Maddog37
28-03-2011, 11:38 AM
A big part of our problem is that our good users like Gia and Higgo can't get enough of the ball and blokes like Boyd and Cross get heaps but can't use the ball when they do.

All of them are one paced too......

ratsmac
28-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Far out leave Higgins alone. I can't believe Higgins is getting singled out from that insipid effort from the dogs yesterday. NO ONE played well yesterday, no one. Yes there were some good signs from young players but hardly stellar performances from anyone. I can hardly remember a passage of play were we linked up. We certainly didn't run back to defend, or spreading forward. How many times we were out numbered around the ball, and if we did happen to out number the bombers then one bomber would win the contested ball against four bulldog players. Made me sick.

To say Higgins soft is a tad harsh. He is normally one our our better tacklers. He'll get better each week if he can stay fit. He is a generally a smart footballer. He had an awful 2010, but we all know he battled injuries and sickness. He can definitely look lazy at times but gut running doesn't come natural to everyone.

Cross and Boyd in the same team, now there's a problem, especially if we are getting smashed in the contested ball. Win the contested ball and feed it out to the runners, that's their job whether Boyd likes it or not (bring back Scott West, he could still do it one one leg). I'm sure Boyd thinks that he is Chris Judd. Too too slow. Sigh.

the banker
28-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I think he is very handy and at times damaging forward. Doesn't have the grunt or blistering speed for the midfield. Silky skills that can maximize an opportunity. Good decision maker and great set shot. Can play 70 minutes of great footy - which is often all that is needed from an opportunist. He is a key weapon, but not in the midfield IMO.

LostDoggy
28-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I rate Higgins.
His biggest problem is he is injury prone. Last year he had a shocker, but as I understand that was health related???? If that is the case then it's the club that is in the wrong for playing him.
He has an unbelievable football mind that you can see tick over during the game. Give him at least to the Bye round to prove me wrong, but I think he'll go welll this year. As i understand he was probably the best player through this preseason???