PDA

View Full Version : Hall of fame

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Wow!

What a great night. Started off with Mark Seymor singing Throw your arms around me and Holy Grail. The photo's that came up with the song chocked me up - Fantastic.

Then when Charlie came up in a wheel chair l don't think there was a dry eye in the house, it was so emotional.

One of the best things l have been to. l have some photo's l will put up tomorrow.

The Pie Man
30-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Good to hear it was a success, look forward to reading more stories and seeing some pics - I think we all need a boost! :)

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Hopefully the night provided inspiration that will spur the playing group on in the right direction for the second half of the season.

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 04:17 AM
Was an awesome night...ive only jsut got home...have had a chance to look at my photos....

Charlie...well what can you say...hes an awesome guy, i didnt realise he wasnt well....bloody awesome effort for him to get to crown tonight.....

Loved Bobbys speech, someone else may have to go into detail, cos i dont ahve a very good memory when it comes to that stuff haha...

Really looking forward to having a read of the Bulldog Heritage book...managed to get a few of the guys to sign it as wel, which is great, i wasnt lucky enough to get Charlie to sign my copy, but one of my friends i was with got hers signed by him.....

Im sure others who went will fill everyone in on what a great night it was.....

A big high5 to all who made this night possible.....

chef
30-05-2010, 07:47 AM
So jealous of everyone who went:(

bulldogsfight
30-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Sensational event.could not fault it . theaudio visuals were excelelnt, about 20 players were inducted , 2 legends Sutton and Whitten.

Sutton in a wheelchair, and got the impression that he was going straight back to hospital. MC for the night was Stephen Phillips , the interview with Sutton was a highlight, Sutton was inspiring. He did not look well.

Inductees and Family members of deceased inductees were interviewed, with the exception of the pre 1925 inductees.

Peter Gordon and Irene Chatfield were interviewed a interesting note from Peter Gordon was that in the fightback some players were a bit doubtful but the 3 players who led the way and convinced the reat were Liberatore , Standfield and Hanneberry .

John Schultz spoke well and talked about the book they have brought out being stories from players of their time at Footscray, mentioned that Lionel Ryan's story had to be toned down. I think Ryan got dropped for the Grand Final team

.Liber mentioned he had nominated for the draft at the end of 89.

Framed jumpers were auctioned off , most seem to sell for $2-$5 K.

There is a poster being released $30 unframed.Museum is opening in August.

Mark Seymour performed along with a violinist(?) and Mike Brady finished off the evening woith his footy songs and a rousing " Sons of the West"

I was t the Team of the Century and %4reunion nights this was the bst function

GO Gogs

PS stack wears a great big diamond earing

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 10:37 AM
PS stack wears a great big diamond earing

My wife was commenting that he had more bling than her!

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 10:55 AM
The wife with Susan Alberti

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4425/sdc10564j.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/775/sdc10567u.jpg

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4643/sdc10567u.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5952/sdc10568g.jpg

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 11:02 AM
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5402/sdc10569h.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9248/sdc10580s.jpg

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6882/sdc10566k.jpg

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 11:12 AM
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4139/sdc10578j.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3332/sdc10577b.jpg

Bit of a story behind this photo. This is my dad who at Footscray Tech Old Boys with Dempsy before he played at Footscray. Dempsy broke my fathers nose in a pratice game.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2885/sdc10571k.jpg

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 11:21 AM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8886/sdc10576.jpg

Collected all the Hall of fame signatures except Charlies. l hope all goes well for him.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2795/sdc10601f.jpg

The people you meet!

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3926/sdc10598r.jpg

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Another highlight of the night was an interview with Neil Sachse who came over from Adelaide for the night. After the interview they bought out mannequin with his jumper and shorts that had been cut off his body after the accident. They were auctioned for about $20,000 and all monies was donated to Neil's charity. David Smorgon bought the jumper and shorts to put in the Bulldogs Museum.

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone. I arrived home from New York on Friday after attending a conference and lots of hard work.

I was so happy to attend the Hall of Fame last evening.

It was so good to catch up with many of the people from "Woof"!!!

I cannot wait to get my hands on Charlie Sutton's jumper and have it displayed in the Museum at the WO for everyone to enjoy and cherish. Fortunately I was the successful bidder. I also have four Team of the Century jumpers that I will be donating to the Museum.

It was probably one of the best nights I have ever attended. My tissues were working overtime. Just to see the older players etc was something I will hold very dear to my heart for the rest of my life.

I have never heard the Bulldog team song sung with such passion ever before. I do hope this does rub off on the players.

It was a night to remember and I am so pleased I was able to attend with my family and friends.
________
Nash-Healey Specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Nash-Healey)

NoName
30-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a great night was had by all.

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 12:18 PM
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5402/sdc10569h.jpg

Had too many Granty, lol.

bornadog
30-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Hello everyone. I arrived home from New York on Friday after attending a conference and lots of hard work.

I was so happy to attend the Hall of Fame last evening.

It was so good to catch up with many of the people from "Woof"!!!

I cannot wait to get my hands on Charlie Sutton's jumper and have it displayed in the Museum at the WO for everyone to enjoy and cherish. Fortunately I was the successful bidder. I also have four Team of the Century jumpers that I will be donating to the Museum.

It was probably one of the best nights I have ever attended. My tissues were working overtime. Just to see the older players etc was something I will hold very dear to my heart for the rest of my life.

I have never heard the Bulldog team song sung with such passion ever before. I do hope this does rub off on the players.

It was a night to remember and I am so pleased I was able to attend with my family and friends.

I am sure all Bulldog supporters appreciate your donations, can't wait to visit the museum.

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Fantastic photos TDB.

Were all players in attendance and did you get a chance to show off the scarf to Huddo!?

KOTC
30-05-2010, 02:51 PM
What a fantastic night! I didn't think anyone could top Bob Murphy's speech. You just knew that Bob was going to be fantastic. He has such a way with words and last night his passion for the jumper came through so strongly, but seeing a wheelchair bound Charlie Sutton make his passionate speech was one of the most memorable things I have ever seen.

Charlie provided a great combination of humour and flat out inspiration. The perfect example of that, and my highlight of his speech was when he was mid rant and said something like, "I tell you bloody what, if I could stand up right now I'd be smashing the desk" and he started whacking the lectern that Stephen Phillips was interviewing him from. He was fired up the whole time he was making his speech, but to physically see a bloke who barely has any movement bouncing up and down in his wheelchair and whacking the lectern was something else. As he would say, "hit 'em hard and hit 'em bloody often." :)

soupman
30-05-2010, 02:58 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3332/sdc10577b.jpg

Brian Lake in the back of this photo is great.

Sockeye Salmon
30-05-2010, 03:23 PM
On the actual inductees, how stiff was Wally Donald?

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Fantastic photos TDB.

Were all players in attendance and did you get a chance to show off the scarf to Huddo!?

Yes, we showed him the scarf and got him to sign it!!!!

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree with everyone else's posts. It is the best club function I have ever been to. I thought it was a bit expensive, but it was worth every penny. The Charlie Sutton moment was one of if not the best thing I have ever seen/experienced. It was up there with the Teddy Whitten lap of honour.The occasion was fantastic, but everything else about the night was first class, the presentation, meal, service. I will confess I had tears, it would be hard to imagine anyone of the 1300 not shedding a tear or two.
The night gave me goosebumps. Congratulations to all at the club who organised the event.
Well done to the people that paid a lot of money for the Hall of Fame players jumpers. It was announced that the ones Sue Alberti & David Smorgan brought were being put in the club's new musuem. What great people Sue & David are for out club.

Doc26
30-05-2010, 05:35 PM
An absolute brilliant evening, could not fault any part of it and will leave a lot of great memories from Mark Seymour's opening tracks, Murph's opening speech in an old Bulldog jumper with #7 on the back, Charlie's inspirational speech that had everyone in the room totally blown away to Mike Brady's closing tunes and many other moments. Was also great to see on display our 54 Premiership Cup flanked by Charlie's and Brian Dixon's jumpers also Norm Ware's, Adam Cooney's and John Schultz's Brownlow's and a Club Best and Fairest chronological display.

Huge thanks to David, Cam, Rachel and all those others behind the scenes for pulling it all together. Also congratulations to the Hall of Fame selection committee who imo were spot on with their 13 Hall of Fame and 2 Legend inductees with Scott Wynd possibly the only one I would've loved to have seen squeezed into the initial list. With that said I could'nt have excluded any from the 13 HOFers. Looks like there will be two Scott's to add to the list next time around.

Ooh and was bloody rapt to see big Gary Dempsey competing hard with Sue in the bidding for Neil Sachse's Bulldog attire. Sue, thanks so very much for your fantastic and ongoing support of the Bulldogs, you're a gem.

Chester
30-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a wonderful night. Was Scott West there?

AndrewP6
30-05-2010, 06:31 PM
A great night for our club. Would've been great to be there... some great pics up here. If Charlie's speech didn't put a rocket up some of our blokes, then nothing will. They need to respond.

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 06:50 PM

l sure this event is becoming a regular feature so l am sure he will get a call up.

Prince Imperial
30-05-2010, 07:11 PM
As everybody has said, this was a fantastic night which brought up a great mix of poignancy and pride for our great club and supporters. Bob Murphy's speech was amazing. He told of a neighbour of his when he was growing up in Warragul who was a mad Footscray supporter and how he (Murphy) became part of their family. Unfortunately, the neighbour died 12 months before he was drafted, but his wife was the first person in his house when Bob was drafted and so was proud and pleased of this for her late husband.

The club really needs to put his speech up on our website.

Obviously, they could not induct everybody or otherwise they could not hold another night for many years. Wally Donald was rightly mentioned above but I would have thought the following would be good things for the next event:

Scott West (maybe straight to Legend status)
Rohan Smith
Scott Wynd
Brian Royal
Steven Wallis
John Jilliard
George Bisset
Herb Henderson
Jim Gallagher
Wally Donald
Joe Ryan

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Are the Hall of Fame nights now going to be a yearly occurrence?

Doc26
30-05-2010, 07:15 PM

SS, of the 13 HOFers below who would you like to have seen Wally replace ?

1925 to '49: Allan Hopkins, Norman Ware, Arthur Olliver, Harry Hickey and Alby Morrison.

1950 to '69: Jack Collins, John Schultz.

1970 to '89: Gary Dempsey, Kelvin Templeton, Simon Beasley, Doug Hawkins.

1990 to 2008: Tony Liberatore, Chris Grant

Doc26
30-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Are the Hall of Fame nights now going to be a yearly occurrence?

I believe the thinking is for every second year but don't quote me on it.

AndrewP6
30-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Interesting that the Bulldog-bashing Mike Sheahan is on the HOF selection panel...

Bumper Bulldogs
30-05-2010, 11:27 PM
My wife was commenting that he had more bling than her!

I'm not surprised, He's not ahead of himself is he?

Sockeye Salmon
31-05-2010, 01:26 AM
SS, of the 13 HOFers below who would you like to have seen Wally replace ?

1925 to '49: Allan Hopkins, Norman Ware, Arthur Olliver, Harry Hickey and Alby Morrison.

1950 to '69: Jack Collins, John Schultz.

1970 to '89: Gary Dempsey, Kelvin Templeton, Simon Beasley, Doug Hawkins.

1990 to 2008: Tony Liberatore, Chris Grant

I was a huge fan of Simon Beasley but he's batting out of his league in this group.

BulldogBelle
31-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Article from Sundays Herald Sun

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7125/halloffamej.jpg

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 08:53 AM
A big thanks to all who have posted here, and I had to laugh when I read that Huddo had signed TDB scarf - I assume he was aware of his legendary status with us Woofers? I think I might try and start a HOF saving plan so that I can get there next time. It sounds like the players would have to be robots to not get caught up in the emotion - let's hope they take it onto the field next Sunday for a smashing win!:D

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 10:22 AM
I was a huge fan of Simon Beasley but he's batting out of his league in this group.

Was thinking the same thing, I loved Beasley as a kid but also think he is batting out of his league

always right
31-05-2010, 05:33 PM
It was an amazing night...proud, emotional, uplifting and poignant. Loved it.

Quite a few comments from inductees about the current group of players needing to take the opportunty that's been presented and end the premiership drought. Agree with them wholeheartedly but couldn't help but think what pressure and expectation they are under. Our players carry a heavy burden when you see people like an ailing Charlie Sutton urging the players to produce the result we are all hoping for. Just hope they were inspired by the living legend.

By the way...love the earlier suggestion that Bob's speech be posted on the website. It captured the night beautifully. Also loved meeting DaDruid briefly:)

Go_Dogs
31-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Sounds like a great night, thanks for the reports and photos.

craigsahibee
31-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Had too many Granty, lol.

Doing well to be still standing just before 5am. ;)

Hotdog60
31-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I think the banner should have these words on it this week,

"Underneath your shirt you've got a heart and without a heart you don't win."

Good stuff from Charlie.

AndrewP6
31-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Good stuff from Charlie.

"Hit 'em hard and hit 'em often... but not if your name is Barry".... :)

Collo
31-05-2010, 09:40 PM
An excellent night, hats off to David,Campbell, Racheal and all the team

Hotdog60
31-05-2010, 09:42 PM
"Hit 'em hard and hit 'em often... but not if your name is Barry".... :)

LOL, Andrew.

I thought of that first, but I had a lingering thought that if the players took that one to heart we would have 22 players up at the tribunal.:D

AndrewP6
31-05-2010, 09:56 PM
LOL, Andrew.

I thought of that first, but I had a lingering thought that if the players took that one to heart we would have 22 players up at the tribunal.:D

Damn it, I knew it wasn't original :)

Would be a bad idea, but kinda funny to see them all lined up, outside AFL HQ, like naughty schoolboys at the principals office!

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Was a fantastic night and so glad we went. Great to catch up with Da Druid as well.

Cyberdoggie
01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Love the picture of Da Druid in disguise.
Just need a pair of Clark Kent's glasses to complete it! :cool:

The Coon Dog
01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Love the picture of Da Druid in disguise.
Just need a pair of Clark Kent's glasses to complete it! :cool:
Looks like John Barnes if you ask me.

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the reports & wonderful photos. :)

Desipura
01-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Fair call!

becmatty
02-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Scott West (maybe straight to Legend status)
Rohan Smith
Scott Wynd
Brian Royal
Steven Wallis
John Jilliard
George Bisset
Herb Henderson
Jim Gallagher
Wally Donald
Joe Ryan

Good list. Rick Kennedy and Peter Foster won't be far off the mark either. And Johnno will be an automatic legend once he retires...

From our current playing list, who would be potential inductees in the future?

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I believe the thinking is for every second year but don't quote me on it.

They don't want to set a regular timeline, becuase they don't want to be forced into inducting people. When you set an event every one or two years, eventually you have to start scraping the barrel for inductees, and they want the HOF to remain selective.

It was an amazing night...proud, emotional, uplifting and poignant. Loved it.

Quite a few comments from inductees about the current group of players needing to take the opportunty that's been presented and end the premiership drought. Agree with them wholeheartedly but couldn't help but think what pressure and expectation they are under. Our players carry a heavy burden when you see people like an ailing Charlie Sutton urging the players to produce the result we are all hoping for. Just hope they were inspired by the living legend.

By the way...love the earlier suggestion that Bob's speech be posted on the website. It captured the night beautifully. Also loved meeting DaDruid briefly:)

Geelong carried the same burden into 2007, add to that the GF losses of the past two decades to boot.

Good stuff from Charlie.

100%. Someone get onto Gary about it, let's see it happen… :)

Mantis
02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
100%. Someone get onto Gary about it, let's see it happen… :)

Do you think the players even read what is on the banner?

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Another highlight of the night was an interview with Neil Sachse who came over from Adelaide for the night. After the interview they bought out mannequin with his jumper and shorts that had been cut off his body after the accident. They were auctioned for about $20,000 and all monies was donated to Neil's charity. David Smorgon bought the jumper and shorts to put in the Bulldogs Museum.

That must have been so emotional - I was there the day Neil had his accident, and it is as clear as day to me. Can't recall just how old I was, but I remember all at the Whitten Oval just held their breath and became very silent. I have heard Neil interviewed a few years ago, and he has a wonderful outlook on life. A great role model. :)

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Agree that we don't know exactly what it's like for the current crop of players, but sustained success is always done under the burden of expectation -- if you're good enough to succeed, the pressure will come.

The players have two choices: either the pressure galvanises them into a tough as nails playing group, or they crumble under the weight of expectation. Some clubs seem to love it and thrive under the pressure -- your Carltons, Hawthorns, Essendons etc. -- and others seem to struggle a bit with it: the Saints, Collingwood, Geelong even (their last two GFs have been wobbly as hell), and the Dogs.

All this is easier said than done, sure, but done it must be, or else let's just forget ever winning another flag.

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Agree that we don't know exactly what it's like for the current crop of players, but sustained success is always done under the burden of expectation -- if you're good enough to succeed, the pressure will come.

The players have two choices: either the pressure galvanises them into a tough as nails playing group, or they crumble under the weight of expectation. Some clubs seem to love it and thrive under the pressure -- your Carltons, Hawthorns, Essendons etc. -- and others seem to struggle a bit with it: the Saints, Collingwood, Geelong even (their last two GFs have been wobbly as hell), and the Dogs.

All this is easier said than done, sure, but done it must be, or else let's just forget ever winning another flag.

Spot on.

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Do you think the players even read what is on the banner?

Does that mean we should put there “Oh well boys, just have a crack and see what happens?”

Desipura
02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Does that mean we should put there “Oh well boys, just have a crack and see what happens?”
They pretty much do anyway. Hardly inspiring words are on the banner.
Quiet embarrassing actually.

Prince Imperial
02-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Good list. Rick Kennedy and Peter Foster won't be far off the mark either. And Johnno will be an automatic legend once he retires...

From our current playing list, who would be potential inductees in the future?

I was a big fan of those two players, especially Foster, but I doubt they will be in the next batch. The club have indicated that administrators will be eligible for the next batch so I would expect Peter Gordon will be a big chance for his Fightback leadership.

I'm not sure any of the current players (other than Johnno) have done enough yet to be included but looking to the future Cooney is the only one I would feel that confident about. Hopefully we will a flag soon and that will change!

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I just wanted to note that I can't believe we are in such grand company as seen on the first page of this thread. I'd love to say Thank You to Susan Alberti for your generosity in the donations of item for the Museum. Who knows who else is lurking on here. Hi Jonno maybe????????

No doubt if you read WOOF often then you'll have seen fans do wonder about the historic items (or I do) and it I hopes it's an constant opportunity for fans to see the flag that was actually handed to Footscray when the permiership was won and the later awarded Permiership Cup.

So really, you're AWESOME!!!!!

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Lets just say that Susan is honoured to be a part of the Footscray/WB Football club. Whatever she can do to preserve our history she will do whatever it takes. When the Museum is completely up and running it will be something that you will want to visit with your family and friends and it will also be available to everyone who loves AFL football
________
Mywebcamshookup (http://mywebcamshookup.com/)

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Lets just say that Susan is honoured to be a part of the Footscray/WB Football club. Whatever she can do to preserve our history she will do whatever it takes. When the Museum is completely up and running it will be something that you will want to visit with your family and friends and it will also be available to everyone who loves AFL football
Susie, could you pass onto the "other" Susan how much all Bulldog members love and respect her. I personally believe she belongs in the Hall of Fame. I read that in the future people other than players can be eligible, so while I'm at it David Smorgan as well.

Doc26
03-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Susie, could you pass onto the "other" Susan how much all Bulldog members love and respect her. I personally believe she belongs in the Hall of Fame. I read that in the future people other than players can be eligible, so while I'm at it David Smorgan as well.

Old Bulldog, unless I'm mistaken believe it may have been the 'other' Susan talking in the 3rd person.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Old Bulldog, unless I'm mistaken believe it may have been the 'other' Susan talking in the 3rd person.
Thanks Doc26, I knew that was just keeping the "mystique".

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

Ditto from me - both are incredible ambassadors for our wonderful club. -thank you:)

becmatty
03-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Has anyone read The Bulldog Heritage book?

I am interested if anyone could review this and mention some of the players who contribute to it?

Thanks...

Mantis
04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Has anyone read The Bulldog Heritage book?

I am interested if anyone could review this and mention some of the players who contribute to it?

Thanks...

My parents have the book and I have had just a brief look, it looks great and I can't wait to have a good read once they are done with it.

As you would expect the story of all our famous names is included, but also the story of some unknowns who played just a handful of games including my grandfather whose career was cut down by a knee injury in the 40's.

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 10:03 AM
The book is a fantastic "read". It is not just about football careers, but about their personal journey through life. The second book is now underway with many contributions from previous players.
I recommend that we all read the book. I have managed to get half way through it and it has brought back so many memories for me over the past 50 years or so. When the Museum is finally up and running, which will be very soon, we will all get an opportunity to take a trip down memory lane. Lets just hope we can place another premiership cup there very soon. Go Dogs
________
Teen Sex (http://www.****tube.com/categories/39/teen/videos/1)

ledge
04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I wonder if anyone from the club is interested in coming and looking at stuff i might have worth putting in the museum.

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
I am sure the Club would be very interested. Please call Rachel Murphy at the WB. She was the person very much behind the Hall of Function last Saturday. I thought it was an absolutely outstanding success. Do call her. She will advise you accordingly.
________
Geo/chevrolet tracker (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Geo/Chevrolet_Tracker)

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi People just some good news I am 99% sure i saw Charlie Sutton walking out of the Epworth this morning. I hope it was him as it looked very much like him and looked like he was on his was home and he was walking unaided which is a good sign

EasternWest
04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I found this while trawling around. It might have been posted before so apologies if it has.

http://www.ganges.com/Bulldogs_honour_quadriplegic_football_star_video_5969781/

I found it really interesting and in light of the HOF might be worth having a look at.

Neil is a remarkable man.

jazzadogs
04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I found this while trawling around. It might have been posted before so apologies if it has.

I found it really interesting and in light of the HOF might be worth having a look at.

I'd heard a lot about the incident, but don't recall ever seeing it, or hearing Neil speak.

Great clip, he really is remarkable to have such a positive outlook. Thanks dfa4pm.

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
My parents have the book and I have had just a brief look, it looks great and I can't wait to have a good read once they are done with it.

As you would expect the story of all our famous names is included, but also the story of some unknowns who played just a handful of games including my grandfather whose career was cut down by a knee injury in the 40's.

Dannie Taylor I presume!

The Bulldog Heritage is a great read, the lesser known names have very interesting stories to tell.

BulldogBelle
04-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks for that.

It's great to see that he fought on and never gave up. An inspiration to all.

Mantis
04-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Dannie Taylor I presume!

The Bulldog Heritage is a great read, the lesser known names have very interesting stories to tell.

Danny!! Our family are very proud that his story was told in this way.

John Schultz should be very proud of what he has been able to put together.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Gonna tell Barnesy you posted that!! :rolleyes::eek::D:D

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Fair call!

You too!! :rolleyes::eek::D:D;)

aker39
29-10-2010, 09:57 AM
For those that didn't make it to the Hall of Fame dinner, the club has produced a DVD of the night.

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/50/shop.html

bornadog
14-03-2018, 10:05 AM
The Hall of fame this year was combined with the season launch and worked out really well, although the evening was very long.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYKnBaAUQAAGvDZ.jpg

Yes Bernie Quinlan was welcomed back to the club as an inductee.

Hall of Fame
Don Ross
Peter Box
Bernie Quinlan
Steve Wallis
David Smorgon

Legends
Chris Grant
Norm Ware
Allan Hopkins

Chris Grant was elevated to a legend, and what a legend. It's great to see a player you have watched from day one. Allan Hopkins and Norm Ware, both Brownlow medalists played back in the 1920s/30s and 1940s/50s

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYKeaOqU0AAARdE.jpg

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Was Peter Box there? He had a falling out with the club back in the '50s and as far as I know hasn't walked through the door since.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/rendition/nla.news-article71653354.3.pdf?followup=096be36292a7d859eb6a382142d39 154

bornadog
14-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Was Peter Box there? He had a falling out with the club back in the '50s and as far as I know hasn't walked through the door since.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/rendition/nla.news-article71653354.3.pdf?followup=096be36292a7d859eb6a382142d39 154

He was represented by his family and they said he was very ill? It sounded like he had alzheimers.

Don Ross was the only old timer there - must be in his 80s. He was very very funny. In his speech he said he had made up a list of the people he would like to thank. He said he showed the list to his wife and asked her if he had missed anyone. She looked at the list and said , how are you going to thank all them, they are all dead. :D

Bulldog Joe
14-03-2018, 10:38 AM
He was represented by his family and they said he was very ill? It sounded like he had alzheimers.

Don Ross was the only old timer there - must be in his 80s. He was very very funny. In his speech he said he had made up a list of the people he would like to thank. He said he showed the list to his wife and asked her if he had missed anyone. She looked at the list and said , how are you going to thnak all them, they are all dead. :D

Don Ross was very entertaining.

bornadog
14-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Don Ross was very entertaining.

Hey BJ, missed you last night, did you enjoy the evening.

Ozza
14-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Had no idea the event was on...

Bulldog Joe
14-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Hey BJ, missed you last night, did you enjoy the evening.

Was quite disappointed in the format.

Standing around for food and drink is not what we should have.

Also thought the Hall of Fame deserved its own slot.

The season launch was inferior without having the players placed at table with the fans.

bornadog
14-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Was quite disappointed in the format.

Standing around for food and drink is not what we should have.

Also thought the Hall of Fame deserved its own slot.

The season launch was inferior without having the players placed at table with the fans.

Couldn't agree more. Apparently people complained last year because they didn't get a player at their table.

I complained to Jarrad Hanks last week and he said they wanted to try something different.

GVGjr
14-03-2018, 12:50 PM
It was worth a try, I didn't mind it. Don Ross was a ripper.

So happy that Bernie Quinlan is in our Hall of Fame. He was the first player that I had his number of the back of my jumper.
Bernie is as good as any player I have seen.

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 02:30 PM
It was worth a try, I didn't mind it. Don Ross was a ripper.

So happy that Bernie Quinlan is in our Hall of Fame. He was the first player that I had his number of the back of my jumper.
Bernie is as good as any player I have seen.

I agree, you have to try new things and evolve. Maybe they make a bunch of changes next year and everything works. The HOF should be on a seperate night.

Bernie was a superstar with us and went to another level with Fitzroy. He was capable of playing better footy than any player I've seen. He was an outrageously talented talented footballer. When he wanted the footy it was impossible to keep it off him. He'd kick a goal from 70 metres out one minute then out mark three opposition forwards in a marking competition in their goalsquare the next. A great edition to our HOF.

bornadog
14-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Bernie played 177 games for Footscray, and 189 for Fitzroy.

I thought he was disappointing for us during that period and played his best footy at Fitzroy.

chef
14-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Why did he leave?

bornadog
14-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Why did he leave?

Those days you could trade away players for a transfer fee. We needed the money to survive.

Axe Man
14-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Why did he leave?

Because BAD kept telling him how disappointing he was. ;)

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Why did he leave?

Those days you could trade away players for a transfer fee. We needed the money to survive.

Alledgedly Ted Whitten and Peter Box had a fist fight over a woman, and Box walked away.

bornadog
14-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Alledgedly Ted Whitten and Peter Box had a fist fight over a woman, and Box walked away.

Chef was asking about Bernie Quinlan :D:D:D

But thanks for the info on Peter Box:D

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Chef was asking about Bernie Quinlan :D:D:D

But thanks for the info on Peter Box:D

FFS my brain is misfiring lately. I'm mixing all sorts of things up. I just aren't excercising it enough I think. More crosswords and less TV is the cure.

Hang on, did I say the fight was over a woman? Sorry I meant to say it was over Bernie Quinlan...

GVGjr
14-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Quinlan could play in most key positions and even in the ruck. I'm sure he represent Victoria as a CHF, CHB and FF.
He certainly played better football at Fitzroy than with us but he was a terrific player.

From my memory BAD is correct in that Quinlan was traded because of the money we would receive for his services.
I was only young and was put in my place a few times by my grandfather who was never sold on Bernie's abilities. He thought he was a squib. One day at the Western Oval, Bones McGhie, who was playing for Richmond, and Bernie chased a ball out on the members wing and lined each other up from 30mtrs or so, it was a massive collision and both hit the ground, Bernie just bounced up while McGhie took a while to absorb the contact. Cheekily I asked my Grandfather if he still thought Bernie was a squib. Pretty sure I got a well deserved clip for my petulance :)

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 08:53 PM
I can remember Bernie threatening to go to the VFA without a clearence, I think he nominated Port Melbourne, if we didn't clear him.

Doc26
14-03-2018, 09:16 PM
I managed to speak to Bernie on the night. Lovely guy who was quite genuinely chuffed at being welcomed back by the Club and by receiving his HOF induction.

It’s great seeing a number of our past players from the 70s start to come back into the fold in recent years.

For all of the external talk of infighting there does appear to be a very positive and conscious effort to rebuild and proactively welcome back those that have contributed so much to the Club over the years. Bernie’s induction, whilst worthy in its own right, also sends a very positive message of unification.

Seeing David Smorgon recognised on the night with a heartfelt speech by Peter Gordon and Alan Johnstone, and David reciprocating his thoughts on Peter also spoke strongly to this.

SonofScray
14-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Seeing David Smorgon recognised on the night with a heartfelt speech by Peter Gordon and Alan Johnstone, and David reciprocating his thoughts on Peter also spoke strongly to this.

Steve Wallis said as much on SEN today. He thought it was telling that two hard headed leaders could hold the sort of respect for each other they do, given the nature of how they came into contact as rival ticket holders etc.

Twodogs
15-03-2018, 12:09 AM
I managed to speak to Bernie on the night. Lovely guy who was quite genuinely chuffed at being welcomed back by the Club and by receiving his HOF induction.

It’s great seeing a number of our past players from the 70s start to come back into the fold in recent years.

For all of the external talk of infighting there does appear to be a very positive and conscious effort to rebuild and proactively welcome back those that have contributed so much to the Club over the years. Bernie’s induction, whilst worthy in its own right, also sends a very positive message of unification.

You would be chuffed at something like your old club reaching out I reckon. Especially if your new club went down the tubes.

bornadog
01-05-2023, 06:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvBYxB0aYAAxy-e?format=jpg&name=medium

Prince Imperial
01-05-2023, 07:25 PM
West and Johnson dead set certainties to be upgraded to Legends status you would reckon.

Boyd, Murphy and Morris all very likely to be added into the Hall at some point. Brisbane are playing in Melbourne that afternoon so Morris likely to be able to attend. However, Fremantle are playing in Perth that evening so I can't see that the other two will be in attendance and may not be added this time is my guess.

Gotta hunch, that Steven Wallis might get a gig. 261 games, a club captain and father of Mitch. Being involved in a sizeable club sponsor (Airport Toyota) won't hurt either.

I expect Wood to be added as a premiership captain and Darcy and Cooney would be chances. Would love to see Peter Foster added as he was a terrific player for us.

westbulldog
01-05-2023, 07:49 PM
Bernie Quinlan shared the 1981 Brownlow with the late Barry Round. Both started with the Dogs around the same time 68/69. Quinlan was the best kick I have ever seen. At 6'4" and 97kg he would likely also dominate in today's era.

dalek
01-05-2023, 08:00 PM
I think the club is pricing themselves out of attendees with the price of a ticket at $350.00 for a single ticket.

I would like to go but being on a pension I can't afford it.

GVGjr
01-05-2023, 08:10 PM
I think the club is pricing themselves out of attendees with the price of a ticket at $350.00 for a single ticket.

I was talking to one of the player sponsors last round and while she is going she's having trouble filling a table of 10 that she normally would have no problems with stating that similar events in recent years have been priced from around $210 to $250.
She pointed out some other challenges with it as well. It will be a fantastic night but I'm still in two minds about going mainly due to the price point.

Stevo
01-05-2023, 08:16 PM

Its priced me out of it. To take the wife thats $700. I think our memberships for the year werent a lot more than that.
If I win a bit of money on lotto this week I will be in touch and I mean that.

dalek
02-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Its priced me out of it. To take the wife thats $700. I think our memberships for the year werent a lot more than that.
If I win a bit of money on lotto this week I will be in touch and I mean that.

When my wife saw the cost she said I'm not paying that much plus my eldest daughter would have probably wanted to come as well. It a hell of lot of money for pensioners.

Grantysghost
02-05-2023, 07:42 PM
It's too much.

250 is the max I'd pay

GVGjr
02-05-2023, 08:20 PM
It's too much.

250 is the max I'd pay

While I'm tempted I also think it's too much. I think $250 would have had me signing up for the night.

Stevo
05-05-2023, 07:26 PM
On a side note the wife is recovering from a knee operation and is ahead of schedule. After deciding that the Hall of Fame is just too much of an outlay I tried to organise tickets with seating to the game in Ballarat as she cant stand for long periods just yet. Contacted the club and they advised that the tickets with seats were all gone but there was a 2 course catered event in the poker venue with premium seats on the wing still available but the cost was $295 per person. I had to decline.
Now this is all on me and not a knock on the club because we would normally book ahead but with the uncertainty of my wifes recovery I felt it was best to wait. Its getting to be an expensive experience to go to the footy.

GVGjr
05-05-2023, 07:31 PM
On a side note the wife is recovering from a knee operation and is ahead of schedule. After deciding that the Hall of Fame is just too much of an outlay I tried to organise tickets with seating to the game in Ballarat as she cant stand for long periods just yet. Contacted the club and they advised that the tickets with seats were all gone but there was a 2 course catered event in the poker venue with premium seats on the wing still available but the cost was $295 per person. I had to decline.
Now this is all on me and not a knock on the club because we would normally book ahead but with the uncertainty of my wifes recovery I felt it was best to wait. Its getting to be an expensive experience to go to the footy.

Check your messages, I might be able to help.

bornadog
17-05-2023, 02:15 PM
Bob Murphy confirmed as one inductee

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwS4EMRacAAS__A?format=jpg&name=large

https://youtu.be/184VQrnElEA

jazzadogs
17-05-2023, 02:25 PM
Bob Murphy confirmed as one inductee

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwS4EMRacAAS__A?format=jpg&name=large

We're loving the candid camera stuff lately.

His reactions at the start tell me that he thought Ameet was going to be offering him a job.

Axe Man
17-05-2023, 02:38 PM
Bob was 1 of the 3 I chose in the competition the club ran for HOF tickets. Fingers crossed on the other 2 although it sounds like there will be 5 inductees.

Scraggers
17-05-2023, 04:00 PM

I absolutely love this video ... such a great man and well deserving of this honour.

angelopetraglia
17-05-2023, 04:27 PM
We're loving the candid camera stuff lately.

His reactions at the start tell me that he thought Ameet was going to be offering him a job.

100%. That was the way Ameet was leading him. "Have you back in the fold". It felt like he was disappointed that it was the hall of fame and not a job!

Grantysghost
17-05-2023, 09:36 PM
100%. That was the way Ameet was leading him. "Have you back in the fold". It felt like he was disappointed that it was the hall of fame and not a job!

I'm pretty sure any role he'd be interested in he'd have to apply for...!

Who are the other two.

I'm going wood, Morris.

Axe Man
18-05-2023, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty sure any role he'd be interested in he'd have to apply for...!

Who are the other two.

I'm going wood, Morris.

Don't think Wood qualifies yet. Luke Darcy and Matthew Boyd were the others I thought strong chances.

bornadog
18-05-2023, 12:57 PM
Don't think Wood qualifies yet. Luke Darcy and Matthew Boyd were the others I thought strong chances.

Not sure what the qualification criteria is, but surely the premiership captain should be inducted now

Prince Imperial
18-05-2023, 01:49 PM
Not sure what the qualification criteria is, but surely the premiership captain should be inducted now

There's a two year wait from the end of a player's career so I doubt he will be this time.

Axe Man
18-05-2023, 01:55 PM
There's a two year wait from the end of a player's career so I doubt he will be this time.

I don't recall Wood being an option to vote for and as you say, he only retired in 2021.

I was surprised Darcy wasn't already in the HOF.

bornadog
18-05-2023, 02:15 PM
I don't recall Wood being an option to vote for and as you say, he only retired in 2021.

I was surprised Darcy wasn't already in the HOF.

Wood was in the list

Axe Man
18-05-2023, 02:23 PM
Wood was in the list

Fair enough. My reasoning would be that Darcy, Bob, Boyd and Morris should be before Easton as they have been out of the game longer. But of course they are all deserving.

Nathan Brown was also on the list. Not now, not ever! :D

bornadog
18-05-2023, 02:25 PM
Nathan Brown was also on the list. Not now, not ever! :D

Not sure why he was

angelopetraglia
19-05-2023, 05:42 PM
Bob Murphy

“Footballers are not comfortable with compliments – give us some barbs or take the mickey out of us and we’re quite comfortable, so when the compliments started (from Ameet Bains) I was like ‘I’m feeling a bit icky here, there’s a job offer coming here’.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1333610/murphy-still-stunned-about-hall-of-fame-news

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 06:24 PM
Bob Murphy

“Footballers are not comfortable with compliments – give us some barbs or take the mickey out of us and we’re quite comfortable, so when the compliments started (from Ameet Bains) I was like ‘I’m feeling a bit icky here, there’s a job offer coming here’.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1333610/murphy-still-stunned-about-hall-of-fame-news

I hope there is a job offer there as well ... Come back Bob, purple doesn't suit you !!

Grantysghost
24-05-2023, 01:02 PM
Dale Morris to be inducted.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2023, 03:25 PM

So happy for Dale. Just loved watching him play.

lemmon
24-05-2023, 03:30 PM

Love it. All-time favourite.

Mofra
24-05-2023, 05:04 PM
I hope there is a job offer there as well ... Come back Bob, purple doesn't suit you !!
If we're poaching Freo staff.... Matty Boyd, come on down

Eastdog
24-05-2023, 11:00 PM
Well deserved for Dale. A Bulldog legend. Loved that famous tackle on Buddy in the 2016 grand final.

EasternWest
24-05-2023, 11:03 PM
Loved that famous tackle on Buddy in the 2016 grand final.

The single greatest moment in. Bulldogs history.

dalek
25-05-2023, 07:34 PM
Well deserved for Dale. A Bulldog legend. Loved that famous tackle on Buddy in the 2016 grand final.

Bolded, I agree with as I believe that was the turning point in the game.

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:11 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQoxZGaEAAqLsS?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:11 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQpv1waIAARuO9?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:12 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQd7RWaYAAJpI6?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:12 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQcJ8vagAAfamO?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQY0VfaMAAq8bJ?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQW5kPakAAoH6h?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:14 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQUsafakAE6nFq?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:14 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQJt4OaEAAdKfe?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:15 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQGa08aIAETrD4?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
11-06-2023, 01:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyQDZBxaYAAJyvS?format=jpg&name=medium

Bulldog4life
11-06-2023, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that BAD.

EasternWest
11-06-2023, 04:48 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/s2R9MDBV/Screenshot-20230611-154708.png (https://postimg.cc/gxN65pq5)

Bob Murphy gets it.

Grantysghost
11-06-2023, 05:13 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/s2R9MDBV/Screenshot-20230611-154708.png (https://postimg.cc/gxN65pq5)

Bob Murphy gets it.
Haha nice.

Android. You're OK EW.... You're OK. Pixels rock.

EasternWest
11-06-2023, 05:29 PM
Haha nice.

Android. You're OK EW.... You're OK. Pixels rock.

It should come as no surprise to you that I absolutely hate Apple.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-06-2023, 06:27 PM
This was a great night with over 400 people in attendance. A brilliant night staged by the Club
with Gary Dempsey Brad Johnson and Arthur Olliver the former games holder prior to Ted Whitten, from the 1940’s elevated as Legends. Former 1954 Premiership player Jim Gallagher now aged 92, a member from our ‘54 Premiership was inducted to the Hall of Fame together with Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris and Luke Darcy.
It was a celebration also of a history of 140 years of our great Club. A feature of the night was viewing highlights of our 2016 Premiership and 1954 Flags. Good to see the likes of David Smorgan Peter Gordon and John Schultz in attendance who have been such great contributors to our Club, over many years.

EasternWest
11-06-2023, 07:39 PM
This was a great night with over 400 people in attendance. A brilliant night staged by the Club
with Gary Dempsey Brad Johnson and Arthur Olliver the former games holder prior to Ted Whitten, from the 1940’s elevated as Legends. Former 1954 Premiership player Jim Gallagher now aged 92, a member from our ‘54 Premiership was inducted to the Hall of Fame together with Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris and Luke Darcy.
It was a celebration also of a history of 140 years of our great Club. A feature of the night was viewing highlights of our 2016 Premiership and 1954 Flags. Good to see the likes of David Smorgan Peter Gordon and John Schultz in attendance who have been such great contributors to our Club, over many years.

Great stuff NBP.

Eastdog
12-06-2023, 10:45 PM
Thanks BAD.

Sounds like it was a good night NBP.