PDA

View Full Version : Views for Round 11

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 08:34 PM
How is everyone looking at this game?
For me, it is the first time in a long time I'm not going to the game thinking we are going to win or give it a real good crack. I'm going to the game with a toss of the coin approach.
Will we 'come to play' so to speak or play well for a bit if at all?

If we lose, we will be on the lower end of the top 8 if at all in there. If we win, it might be the game to put us back on track (again).

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I think it is close to being one of the biggest games since Eade's reign a the club, a loss here could well & truly impact our chances of a top four finish later on in the season. Given that Smorgon said it's either a GF or it's failure, this is a massive game for Eade & the players.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I think it is close to being one of the biggest games since Eade's reign a the club, a loss here could well & truly impact our chances of a top four finish later on in the season. Given that Smorgon said it's either a GF or it's failure, this is a massive game for Eade & the players.

Agree and not just from the pure win-loss ladder point of view, but also from a credibility position. We were humbled by the Pies in our opening season encounter, and another loss against them, would seriously put into question our ability to be a top 4 contender in season 2010. A loss here and not only do our stocks fall in the eyes of the media and supporters mind, but more importantly it must also increase the level of doubt in the minds of the playing group.

A win on the other hand, and it may just be the thing that kick starts our stutter-stop season into overdrive, just as we approach getting some big names back from injury in time for the second half of the year.

In short this is a massive game, right on the half way point of the season.

BulldogBelle
30-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Well, this is the most nervous all of us would have been since the PF last year.

When our back is against the wall I have all the confidence that the boys can and will bounce back. Normally we play so well against low expectation. I just don't have that confidence this week.

Nervous week this week, our character as a team is at stake. The good thing is Collingwood should still be favourites, I absolutely hate them when they play as the underdogs.

SPower
30-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Each Year games are getting more important otherwise some of us poor bastards are
never going to live to see the Cup Aloft !!!!

lemmon
30-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Time to come out breathing fire and make a statement. Collingwood seem to be right for the picking and after the Hall of Fame dinner the boys should be psyched. A win and we regain credibility and are right back in the competition, a loss and we continue to fall down the rabbit hole we've made for ourselves.

The Pie Man
30-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't have thought Collingwood would be coming off two straight loses either.

Big game all round - bigger than probably both clubs really wanted it to be (though a Collingwood loss would still leave them 7-4 and would only drop out of the top 4 if we gave them a hiding)

I know it's only May - but perception's a funny thing.

Loss to Collingwood - 3 straight loses and on the brink of dropping out of the top 4
Loss to us - 2 straight losses, on the brink of dropping out of the top 8

LostDoggy
30-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Im going into this game 50-50. Not my usual 99-1

Bumper Bulldogs
30-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't like the position we are currently in but with the injury list and issues along the way, we are not in too bad shape? I know this seems strange.

I like this game as the boys can really set themselves and know what's coming. This will be the game that gets our season back on track and each week we get one week closer to getting a full list back. Every game this year it looks to me that we have had at least one player with an injury. Surely our luck has to change.

The interesting thing for me is how the MC will pick the side as I think everyone needs to pull together and get the job done this week.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 02:27 AM
I think we all just need to lower our expectations a little as we may have gotten a little ahead of ourselves so far this season.

Mantis
31-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I think we all just need to lower our expectations a little as we may have gotten a little ahead of ourselves so far this season.

Why?

Last year we finished 3rd losing in a very close PF.

In the off-season we recruited a key forward which was one area that had let us down in the past. Our pre-season form was good (especially in the final) and our key forward was in great touch.

We had every right to have high expectations and so far these expectations aren't being met.

The Underdog
31-05-2010, 10:11 AM
If we get up it will probably be viewed as a somewhat redemptive win and we'll still be tracking reasonably well, but if we lose there be a pretty widely held perception that we are on the slide, both from our own fans and from outside. It's a big game not only because we get the chance to regain some reputation but because we can hurt another team that's in a similiar position.
Given where we are at and how accountable the Pies were against us last time and how badly we match up on them, I think we're in some trouble.

Mantis
31-05-2010, 10:13 AM
If we get up it will probably be viewed as a somewhat redemptive win and we'll still be tracking reasonably well, but if we lose there be a pretty widely held perception that we are on the slide, both from our own fans and from outside. It's a big game not only because we get the chance to regain some reputation but because we can hurt another team that's in a similiar position.
Given where we are at and how accountable the Pies were against us last time and how badly we match up on them, I think we're in some trouble.

Which players in particular give us concerns?

Mofra
31-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Every quick outside player at a guess.

Shaggy used to blanket Medhurst, although he lost the duel in round 1.
Didak, Shaw, Swan and Davis have troubled us in the past. Fortunately one of the few players to hold his head up high last weekend (Picken) should be able to do a job on one of them.
O'Brien's rebound work in round 1 cut us to shreds too.

chef
31-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Every quick outside player at a guess.

Shaggy used to blanket Medhurst, although he lost the duel in round 1.
Didak, Shaw, Swan and Davis have troubled us in the past. Fortunately one of the few players to hold his head up high last weekend (Picken) should be able to do a job on one of them.
O'Brien's rebound work in round 1 cut us to shreds too.

Fortunately those two won't be playing this week.

The Underdog
31-05-2010, 10:24 AM

I don't think we handle their small forwards particularly well, although having Morris back in will help counter that a bit. As will Medhurst still being out, if that's the case.
I think we need someone like Hahn to do a better defensive job on O'Brien who killed us running out of the backline in Round 1, although I'm not sure at this stage he can. Our overall lack of pace in the forward line is a problem against them.

Desipura
31-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I think Collingwood's backline is our real worry or at least their ability to rebound. Maxwell and O'Brien are 2 players that have historically played well against us. We have not made them accountable enough.
They would look forward to playing on the likes of Hahn & Hill.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Why?

Last year we finished 3rd losing in a very close PF.

In the off-season we recruited a key forward which was one area that had let us down in the past. Our pre-season form was good (especially in the final) and our key forward was in great touch.

We had every right to have high expectations and so far these expectations aren't being met.

Why? Becuase we haven't done anything this year and last year means nothing. Last year Fremantle barely could win a game, look at them now. Our expectations for 2010 have grown enourmosly our skill level has dropped significantly.

Ozza
31-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Why? Becuase we haven't done anything this year and last year means nothing. Last year Fremantle barely could win a game, look at them now. Our expectations for 2010 have grown enourmosly our skill level has dropped significantly.

Expectations can only be guided by past form and projected improvement - thats why they are called expectations.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but expecting to be a side in the top 2 or 3 was an extremely realistic expectation for us, and is still very much a possibility. Its just going to be a bit harder. Luckily for us, Collingwood and St.Kilda have also dropped some games in recent weeks so we are still in touch.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Depends which Bulldogs come to play I suppose..

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Collingwood's backline is our real worry or at least their ability to rebound. Maxwell and O'Brien are 2 players that have historically played well against us. We have not made them accountable enough.
They would look forward to playing on the likes of Hahn & Hill.

Yep, yet they get killed on the one-on-one because both like to zone off. If we hit up their direct opponents on the lead, we will get some chances. If we mess up delivery in the forward 50 and the ball hits the deck, bye-bye birdy.

Heath Shaw looks great running out of the backline, but his delivery is suspect at best. Let him have it, but corral him towards the boundary, zone off to shut down his obvious targets and he'll turn it over or kick it out on the full. We HAVE to have a defensive forward this week -- ie. Picken or DFA to patrol the forward 50m arc and sweep/corral the rebound.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 04:08 PM
My expectations are still high, my confidence for the team is down at the moment. Forget 8 point game. This is a 12 point game.

Mantis
31-05-2010, 04:39 PM
My expectations are still high, my confidence for the team is down at the moment. Forget 8 point game. This is a 12 point game.

I thought we had to lower our expectations? :confused:

Desipura
31-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Yep, yet they get killed on the one-on-one because both like to zone off. If we hit up their direct opponents on the lead, we will get some chances. If we mess up delivery in the forward 50 and the ball hits the deck, bye-bye birdy.

Heath Shaw looks great running out of the backline, but his delivery is suspect at best. Let him have it, but corral him towards the boundary, zone off to shut down his obvious targets and he'll turn it over or kick it out on the full. We HAVE to have a defensive forward this week -- ie. Picken or DFA to patrol the forward 50m arc and sweep/corral the rebound.
No, just no.
Ok, I shall elaborate, we need someone who has the ability to draw his oppoenent away from the 50 arc. This player will need to be able to find the footy through his footy smarts and or pace. The ability to take a mark overhead will be beneficial as well. A defensive forward cannot just be there to apply pressure. Picken maybe, but DFA, no!

Go_Dogs
31-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I feel confident that we can beat Collingwood. I thought the same last week though.

This is going to be a big game, so I expect our intensity to be better than it was last week, and when we play with the required intensity, I'm confident we can win against any side in the competition.

LostDoggy
31-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I thought we had to lower our expectations? :confused:

I re-phrased. I want to have high expectations but my confidence in us achieving those expectations is low

choconmientay
31-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I think I will be really weary going to the game this coming Sunday.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-05-2010, 07:45 PM
We obviously need a lift right across the ground as our midfielders/forwards have been pretty ordinary. Need to get back to playing team football, tackling, chasing and creating space for others. We really haven't done this well at all this season. The NAB Cup we were having 70+ tackles if I recall correctly, but that pressure and defensive effort has been drastically missing.

Hill and Hahn have trouble containing Collingwood's half back run. Maxwell covers Hahn and often plays third man up whilst O'Brien humiliates Hill every time. Hill hasn't been as bad as some suggest this year - he's playing as a forward and despite missing games is the only player outside of Hall consistently kicking goals. He's important to us (especially at the moment) but he needs to have a good game against Collingwood, otherwise playing him against the top 2-3 sides will be difficult in the future. Against O'Brien, he has to continually be moving around as Harry likes to play off his opponents. Hill seems to get caught standing flat flooted and as a result O'Brien is able to easily spoil the ball and immediately run forward of the contest.

It's hard to single out one particular area/player though because we need a better performance for the entire 22 that take the field.