PDA

View Full Version : Isn't afl.com a brilliant site?

Dry Rot
31-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Sure, it only works half the time but then there's stuff like this Round 10 injury report

ST KILDA
Jason Gram (groin/hamstring) - 4 weeks
Steven King (hamstring) - 1 week*
Tom Lynch (hand) - 1 week*
Blake McGrath (foot) - indefinite
Luke Miles (stress fracture, fibula) - indefinite
Nick Riewoldt (hamstring) - 6 weeks*
Nick Winmar (stress fracture, shin) - indefinite

http://www.afl.com.au/news/blogarticlestandard/tabid/15692/newsid/95010/default.aspx

Indefinite... :D

Ozza
31-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't follow?

You do know there is a new Nicholas Winmar on their list?

Go_Dogs
31-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't follow?

You do know there is a new Nicholas Winmar on their list?

I'm guessing DR has missed that. :D

Perhaps it's just me, but I think the AFL site has improved a bit in functionality. Still not perfect, but certainly better than it was a couple of years ago.

chef
31-05-2010, 06:16 PM
:D

Isn't he Nicky's nephew?

The Pie Man
31-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm guessing DR has missed that. :D

Perhaps it's just me, but I think the AFL site has improved a bit in functionality. Still not perfect, but certainly better than it was a couple of years ago.

I often read it on my mobile through bigpond for free, which is great.

Though for anyone that does this as regurlarly as I do - did you notice it reverted back to news articles from half way through last year until Friday night? Really frustrating, but it's gone back to normal now since the game was played.

Only on the mobile phone version too - the actual site was completely up to date. Weird.

Flamethrower
31-05-2010, 07:32 PM
What is so funny about Nick Winmar being out indefinitely? It is a shame for the kid, as my St Kilda supporting friends were rapt when he was drafted out of Claremont. The second cousin of former Saint and Bulldog Nicky Winmar looks a likely type.

chef
31-05-2010, 07:59 PM
What is so funny about Nick Winmar being out indefinitely? It is a shame for the kid, as my St Kilda supporting friends were rapt when he was drafted out of Claremont. The second cousin of former Saint and Bulldog Nicky Winmar looks a likely type.

I think DR was thinking they meant the one that is long retired.

Dry Rot
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I think DR was thinking they meant the one that is long retired.

Yep, the joke's on me! :D

macca
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
the afl.com.au site is a piece of crap. Its been built by people who have no idea about footy. When it first came out it was pretty much useless:
- content was hopeless, theage would report stories before it
- funtionality terrible
- speed wise, it was shocking.

telstra original built the site in parternship with the afl, and the people who were involved were a bunch of overpaid usless IT pretenders. I know, because I had to work with them!

6 years on, its faster. Functionality wise its at least coherent and you can find some things. Footywire is a much better organised site, minus the fanfare, flash and media streaming crap.

But things good I find now are:
- The live games are a good idea.
- fixture format is over formatted

But seriously, its taken 6 years to get there ? I wish I could be paid to work like a snail.

LostDoggy
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
It was better than it used to be, but can't wait until flash is phased out and replaced whatever comes next..its slow (especially on mobiles) and I think the site will be better & load faster without it.

Doc26
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Only tend to use it for Team lists on a Thursday and Friday and for live game stats over the weekend.

The Boy From Brasil
11-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Just a question on the Western Bulldogs Official Website, and the same question for the AFL site and all the clubs sites, do they have an option to view the site in foreign languages? I couldn't see it on there, but probably I missed it.

I was just thinking that with our club more than any other, looking to develop and sign up supporters and members from the western suburbs multi cultural community, it would be a great marketing and selling tool to have some of the website(more suitably static information than updates) to have this facility. Even if there is one page in a variety of languages, where you can read about the club, the players, the history, the past champions.

The Coon Dog
11-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Just a question on the Western Bulldogs Official Website, and the same question for the AFL site and all the clubs sites, do they have an option to view the site in foreign languages? I couldn't see it on there, but probably I missed it.

In a word, no, they don't.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 04:03 PM
In a word, no, they don't.

Don't you hate it when people say, "In a word" and then use three?:D