PDA

View Full Version : Are Banners Outdated?

The Coon Dog
02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Just looking at the Hall of Fame thread & there was a reference to what should be said on the banner this week.

I have thought for a while that the banner that the players run through each week is outdated.

Given that the cheer squad's these days can no longer be controversial with what they put on the banner, most is boring & mundane as well as the obligatory sponsors plug.

It's great when there's a milestone game which has a caricature of the player celebrating his milestone depicted, but otherwise, is it still relevant?

The cheer squads do a great job each week I might add, so it's no criticism of them, more the notion of the need for it.

mighty_west
02-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think the banners are outdated so much, we just need to be more creative with the messages, to be honest, some are quite embaressing, but thats nothing to do with the cheer squad themselves, they get told what to put on them from the club, yet it's always the poor old cheer squad that cop the bad wrap.

The beauty about our game, is it's individuality, with some of the things we do, like the run through banners, ripping the banners when the song starts, it still gets the hairs standing on the next, gets you ready for another battle.

That said, it would be good if players did actually run through the banners, and not just lift it over their heads, some teams still rip through, i'm not too sure our players do.

LostDoggy
02-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Same question can be asked of the song (barring Richmond's effort last weekend).

I'm of two minds -- on the one hand, yes there is no doubt that the banner and song are relics of a bygone era hardly relevant to the 'product' that is modern footy. However, precisely because they are relics, they must be preserved, as it would be a shame to lose all ties to the suburban sport that it once was (and continues to be in the VFL etc.). The banner is also the last real link a fan club/cheer squad has to match day (we don't have sandwich ladies anymore do we?), so it would be a shame to lose it. However, fan clubs/cheer squads in their old form are probably also have been made redundant somewhat in Corporate AFL.

Perhaps a compromise solution would be, as you've alluded to, TCD, to have banners made for special occassions ie. milestone matches, finals, and the like. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and they would be more special if they were less perfunctory and only made rare appearances. If they are special and rare, we may also have players losing their superstition about not touching them and maybe actually run through them with relish!

ps. Ditto the song -- maybe it can only be sung in finals, or when Richmond wins their only game of their season.

Greystache
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I think they are and have been for sometime now. In the old days the players used to run out on the ground in a line and charge through the banner as a bit of a grand entrance. These days the players jog out, have a quick group meeting in front of the banner, then lift it up and walk under it and some players even run around it entirely.

I'm not oppossed to still having a banner but if we're going to continue with it I think the players need to commit to doing it properly, otherwise the whole banner situation will continue to be a redundant throw back to a bygone era.

jazzadogs
02-06-2010, 01:32 PM
As I'm not a member of the cheer squad I don't know how accurate this is, but it seems to me that our banner is actually designed to not get ripped. Is this a preservation/cost management exercise?

I know Gia has a superstition about running through the banner, yet another reason why he shouldn't be captain ;)

I like the idea of saving them for special events, but then there would be debate over what constitutes a special event. 50 Games? Important game against Collingwood (Bob Rose Cup)?

Cyberdoggie
02-06-2010, 01:35 PM
What would the cheersquad do if they didn't have a banner to make each week?

I think the messages are generally outdated but it's a bit of fun and it's not hurting anyone.

I think it's better than the alternative of having cheer girls and U.S. style explosions as they run on the field. Perhaps with the lights off and the spolight on and the announcer naming each playing as they run on the field.

Ozza
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Same question can be asked of the song (barring Richmond's effort last weekend).
I'm of two minds -- on the one hand, yes there is no doubt that the banner and song are relics of a bygone era hardly relevant to the 'product' that is modern footy. However, precisely because they are relics, they must be preserved, as it would be a shame to lose all ties to the suburban sport that it once was (and continues to be in the VFL etc.). The banner is also the last real link a fan club/cheer squad has to match day (we don't have sandwich ladies anymore do we?), so it would be a shame to lose it. However, fan clubs/cheer squads in their old form are probably also have been made redundant somewhat in Corporate AFL.

Perhaps a compromise solution would be, as you've alluded to, TCD, to have banners made for special occassions ie. milestone matches, finals, and the like. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and they would be more special if they were less perfunctory and only made rare appearances. If they are special and rare, we may also have players losing their superstition about not touching them and maybe actually run through them with relish!

ps. Ditto the song -- maybe it can only be sung in finals, or when Richmond wins their only game of their season.

I'd definitely be opposed to touching the song! I still play footy - and although local and AFL footy are obviously very different - it is still a great team bonding moment after 2 hours of battle - the boys love it and its sung with alot of gusto and fun whenever we win. It may seem a bit tired and boring when Geelong snore through it as they did on the weekend - but I liked Matthew Lloyd's reaction to that - saying that they won't always be winning so regularly and that they should so some more respect.

As for the banners - I was discussing on the weekend how its getting a bit outdated - but having said that - its a unique sort of thing that has been part of the game - so as you said above - as it is a relic - a tradition of the game, I think its worth preserving and keeping the cheer squad involved in the club and as a group that gets together to do the task.

Ozza
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
What would the cheersquad do if they didn't have a banner to make each week?

I think the messages are generally outdated but it's a bit of fun and it's not hurting anyone.

I think it's better than the alternative of having cheer girls and U.S. style explosions as they run on the field. Perhaps with the lights off and the spolight on and the announcer naming each playing as they run on the field.

I agree - our way seems so much more genuine.

mighty_west
02-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I'd definitely be opposed to touching the song! I still play footy - and although local and AFL footy are obviously very different - it is still a great team bonding moment after 2 hours of battle - the boys love it and its sung with alot of gusto and fun whenever we win. It may seem a bit tired and boring when Geelong snore through it as they did on the weekend - but I liked Matthew Lloyd's reaction to that - saying that they won't always be winning so regularly and that they should so some more respect.

As for the banners - I was discussing on the weekend how its getting a bit outdated - but having said that - its a unique sort of thing that has been part of the game - so as you said above - as it is a relic - a tradition of the game, I think its worth preserving and keeping the cheer squad involved in the club and as a group that gets together to do the task.

Agree 100%.

Doc26
02-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Banners, playing of club songs, mascots etc may not separately be a big deal to us grown ups but put together they add to the tribalism of our national sport whilst also helping to capture and maintain the interest of children who love this stuff.

A big loss to the game were the giant banners that would come out during finals time, running end to end of the grandstands, now replaced with corporate advertising. Whatever happened to the decked out duffle coats ?

AndrewP6
02-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I reckon they are a bit outdated, but that said, they do give cheer squads that connection to the club which is vital, and as has been stated, they're part of our game's unique history. Make 'em run through, though! Looks kinda silly when players gently ease themselves under them, or worse, go around all together.

Dry Rot
02-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Good OP. Good question.

IMO it is outdated and dawky, particularly in the slick 21st century flash media world of Demetriou's AFL.

Which is precisely why it should stay IMO. And FWIW, I want to see the old style goal umpires back.

Sockeye Salmon
03-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Banners, playing of club songs, mascots etc may not separately be a big deal to us grown ups but put together they add to the tribalism of our national sport whilst also helping to capture and maintain the interest of children who love this stuff.

A big loss to the game were the giant banners that would come out during finals time, running end to end of the grandstands, now replaced with corporate advertising. Whatever happened to the decked out duffle coats ?

I saw the Hawthorn-North final in 83 when some brash loudmouth kid called Brereton kicked 5 on debut.

The Hawthorn cheersquad had a banner the entire length on the old southern stand that said:
"Imagine all the fans, cheering on our side
Imagine all the heroes who have worn the brown and gold with pride
They may think we're dreamers
But we're not the only ones
We hope today you'll join us
When Hawthorn becomes no. 1"

AndrewP6
03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Whatever happened to the decked out duffle coats ?

Bring back the duffle coats, I say!!! :)

Murphy'sLore
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Duffle coats weren't AFL merchandise, therefore they had to go.

Love the banner but it can't be very environmentally friendly. Someone needs to develop a hologram-banner, a virtual banner. Then at least the players could run through it without getting tissue-paper germs or whatever it is they're scared of.

Doc26
03-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Then our Woof caps and scarves are endangered

Love the banner but it can't be very environmentally friendly. Someone needs to develop a hologram-banner, a virtual banner. Then at least the players could run through it without getting tissue-paper germs or whatever it is they're scared of.

:)

But Gia would still find a way to look special ;)

Doc26
03-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I saw the Hawthorn-North final in 83 when some brash loudmouth kid called Brereton kicked 5 on debut.

The Hawthorn cheersquad had a banner the entire length on the old southern stand that said:

Wow Sockeye that one must've struck a chord with you to recollect that verbatim. Shame we will never get a chance to come up with our own piece of Bulldog prose to drape around the 'G' come Grand Final day. Maybe we could task our fellow Woofers to come up with one that may have fit the bill ;)

Murphy'sLore
03-06-2010, 11:37 AM
We should commission Da Druid to come up with something!

stefoid
03-06-2010, 12:07 PM
We need FTOTM to design a banner, that would be cool

Mantis
03-06-2010, 01:17 PM

I was at that game, but being only 6 I can't remember a whole lot about it.

Banners were awesome in the 80's, especially for the GF. It was a serious competition to get the biggest, most colorful banner on display.

That time has now past.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Good OP. Good question.

IMO it is outdated and dawky, particularly in the slick 21st century flash media world of Demetriou's AFL.

Which is precisely why it should stay IMO. And FWIW, I want to see the old style goal umpires back.

Yeah, totally agree, banners and club songs and mascots are like “Up There Cazaly”. You don't fully appreciate what it means to the heart and soul of our game until it's gone.

As soon as this technology is available, I'm hiding up on Level 3 with a projector to instigate the Mass-Holo-Flood!! Talk about perceived pressure…

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM

I can remember the words of the Bulldogs main banner (all the clubs used to have them), it strecthed around the fence at the Geelong Road end, they used to take it to away games as well:

"FOREVER ONWARD TO VICTORY OUR TEAM OF FANTASTIC FABULOUS FOOTBALLERS FROM FOOTSCRAY"

There was also one on the members side "MR FOOTBALL TED WHITTEN"

Oh memories !

SonofScray
03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
All WOOFERS should make a banner and display it regularly. It is the right thing to do - it is a physical representation of your involvement in your game. The fans make the club in many ways, essentially in this modern AFL all teams are the same except for their colours. It is what you do, what you bring to the game experience that differentiates this game from the next.

I like the DOGGY STYLE banner that used to get draped over the fence every time we scored, there is a WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? one as well, I saw a CEDE NULLIS one a few years ago in the other pocket to where I sit and a BULLDOG TENACITY in the finals.

I usually hang a FFC flag or hold up a silhouette of Chris Grant imposed over a French flag up on L3. Cop shit from opposition fans and security for it but I see it as taking part in the game and as a very real aspect of supporting your team. Footy isn't just about dollars, stats and analysis on Club internet forums.

Big H
03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Bring back the duffle coats, I say!!! :)

i've got one.
bought it last year and love it! only get to wear it to 3 or 4 games a year because of my hot blood for the red, white and blue!
lol!!

Dancin' Douggy
04-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Banners were great when they were actually made to some sort of human scale and players actually ran THROUGH THEM.
These days they are so huge they require so much tape to keep them together, and that tape is really very strong. Players duck under them now and it won't be long before a player actually gets injured by a banner.
In the current climate I can't help seeing a huge waste of the earths resources when I think of 16 banners a week times 22 rounds plus finals.

That's nearly 400 banners a year going straight to the tip after 10 minutes of use.
Human beings on the whole need to re think this kind of frivolous consumption.

Singing the team song however uses no resources and is a genuine emotional release after a win.
Banners are GAWN!
(I'm talking about the run through banners here)

chef
04-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I say yes. The players mostly run around or go under it nowadays anyway.

always right
04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
This probably sounds a little lame but.......I think we should have sepcial banners for special events/milestones but every other week I'd like to have a standard banner with a giant image of a bulldog face with a large hole where the mouth is for players to run through. Kinda like Luna Park I guess. Would be better than the awkward "inspirational" messages we put on it now.

Told you it was a little lame:o

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Banners were great when they were actually made to some sort of human scale and players actually ran THROUGH THEM.
These days they are so huge they require so much tape to keep them together, and that tape is really very strong. Players duck under them now and it won't be long before a player actually gets injured by a banner.
In the current climate I can't help seeing a huge waste of the earths resources when I think of 16 banners a week times 22 rounds plus finals.

That's nearly 400 banners a year going straight to the tip after 10 minutes of use.
Human beings on the whole need to re think this kind of frivolous consumption.

Singing the team song however uses no resources and is a genuine emotional release after a win.
Banners are GAWN!
(I'm talking about the run through banners here)

They reuse most of the banner (the parts that aren't ripped)

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 06:16 PM
This probably sounds a little lame but.......I think we should have sepcial banners for special events/milestones but every other week I'd like to have a standard banner with a giant image of a bulldog face with a large hole where the mouth is for players to run through. Kinda like Luna Park I guess. Would be better than the awkward "inspirational" messages we put on it now.

I like it. Not necessarily the actual concept, but the idea of doing something different/creative would be great. We should really look into that... I'm sure I could scare up a couple of industrial/product designers who would be happy to help out.

jazzadogs
04-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Something like this?

Sfym8MdKNNY

I'd like to see Big Will perform the ballerina.

On another note, seeing as the bombers have an air raid siren go off before they run out on the ground, why don't we play "Who let the dogs out?"? :cool:

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM

I really like your idea. :)

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Bring back the Doggettes of the late 80s

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
On another note, seeing as the bombers have an air raid siren go off before they run out on the ground, why don't we play "Who let the dogs out?"? :cool:

Am I the only one who has hated our oppositions 'entrances' the last three weeks?

First we had North with their 'fire' rubbish, then Essendon with their air raid sirens, then Collingwood with their 'Cooooolllingwooooood, Cooooollingwoooood, Colllingwood, clap clap clap, Collingwood clap clap clap'. Argh!!! If we're behind the times I'm not sad about it, those teams are embarrassing.

I quite like the banners, but they're better when we have a milestone game.

jazzadogs
09-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Am I the only one who has hated our oppositions 'entrances' the last three weeks?

First we had North with their 'fire' rubbish, then Essendon with their air raid sirens, then Collingwood with their 'Cooooolllingwooooood, Cooooollingwoooood, Colllingwood, clap clap clap, Collingwood clap clap clap'. Argh!!! If we're behind the times I'm not sad about it, those teams are embarrassing.

I quite like the banners, but they're better when we have a milestone game.
I didn't see the North thing, but I agree about Collingwood and Essendon. It seemed like Collingwood were trying to instigate a tradition where their supporters will actually all chant that before the team runs out. Not great.

And just to clarify, I would absolutely HATE it if we actually played "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I didn't see the North thing, but I agree about Collingwood and Essendon. It seemed like Collingwood were trying to instigate a tradition where their supporters will actually all chant that before the team runs out. Not great.

And just to clarify, I would absolutely HATE it if we actually played "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

Didn't we used to do that at one stage? Or was it "Dogs Are Talking"?

jazzadogs
10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
We had Woofer come up on the screen after a goal...and the Leaseplan guy. What great initiatives they were...

If we did play Who Let the Dogs Out, I don't remember it.

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 01:38 PM
We had Woofer come up on the screen after a goal...and the Leaseplan guy. What great initiatives they were...

If we did play Who Let the Dogs Out, I don't remember it.

It may have been when we were playing home games at the Whitten Oval & Princes Park. I used to like Woofer on the screen. I remember one day - "How many goals is that Huddo? Sev-en". Was a crack up how he said it!! :D

ledge
10-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Didnt we get banned from doing the woof, woof, woof at princes park?

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes we did, I really liked that.
Same as when we had Bulldog radio, the AFL made us give it the flick, then I saw others had similar after that.

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 04:34 PM

That's right!! I'd forgotten that. It was the sound of a real dog barking. I heard that neighbouring dogs would get fired up and start barking when it was played. :D

ledge
10-06-2010, 04:45 PM
That's right!! I'd forgotten that. It was the sound of a real dog barking. I heard that neighbouring dogs would get fired up and start barking when it was played. :D

Well no reason we cant go back to it now!

bornadog
10-06-2010, 05:37 PM

That was annoying

azabob
10-06-2010, 07:28 PM

That was annoying

Agree, thought it was the worst thing ever. What was worse that some marketing guru got paid to come up with it!

ledge
10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
My point was they banned that but its okay for other teams to do things that are pretty much the same.

hujsh
14-06-2010, 08:38 PM

We did it at least once. I now struggle to convince my Geelong supporting Nan that we shouldn't play it before every game.

1eyedog
13-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Carlton's banner for the Swans v Carlton elimination Final read

'Your Goodes is Good, But our Betts is Better'

Seriously this is cringe material, especially when considering the juxtaposition between Bett's second half of the season and Goodes' second half.

Is there another sport in the world who uses banners for players to run through before the start of the game? In that sense it is unique to Aussie Rules.

I remember as a kid loving the banner, I used to make up newspaper ones which I stuck to two tea tree poles with red, white and blue streamers fluttering from them. I used to run through that banner and then stick it back together over and over again.

With the amount of heavy-duty sticky tape they put on the things these days there is the very real danger that a player is going to injure themselves going through it. A lot of players run around or duck under them these days.

Sockeye Salmon
13-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Carlton's banner for the Swans v Carlton elimination Final read

'Your Goodes is Good, But our Betts is Better'

Seriously this is cringe material, especially when considering the juxtaposition between Bett's second half of the season and Goodes' second half.

Is there another sport in the world who uses banners for players to run through before the start of the game? In that sense it is unique to Aussie Rules.

I remember as a kid loving the banner, I used to make up newspaper ones which I stuck to two tea tree poles with red, white and blue streamers fluttering from them. I used to run through that banner and then stick it back together over and over again.

With the amount of heavy-duty sticky tape they put on the things these days there is the very real danger that a player is going to injure themselves going through it. A lot of players run around or duck under them these days.

Our banner was worse on Saturday night.

Something like, "you're red and white, but we're red, white and blue" or something equally lame.

Rocco Jones
13-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Our banner was worse on Saturday night.

Something like, "you're red and white, but we're red, white and blue" or something equally lame.

Yep. Without wanting to be the 'cool' kid (very tough on an internet forum) but I find cheersquads synonymous with lame and cringeworthy.

I think it's a case of less is more and simplicity being beautiful. Why not just go with 'Go Bulldogs/Dogs/Doggies', 'Sons of the 'Scray', 'Through and Through' and 'Boys of the mighty West' etc on rotation.

Whenever there's a milestone we can break the rotation with something simple acknowledging it.

Keep it simple stupid.

PaddyWhack
13-09-2010, 10:41 PM
back in 1992, prior to the qualifying final against geelong, my brother and i cooked up a very large banner that read "danny del re - the wizard of schnoz" and hung it off the top deck of the great southern stand directly above the players' race. i will never forget the dogs looking up and absolutely p15ssing themselves while they were watching the magoos - all except the great man, who was unmoved. he just went out and jagged 8 instead, in prolly the finest game of his career - ahh, memories!

LostDoggy
14-09-2010, 05:07 PM
As long as they don't reference 1997 on the banner again, I don't care.

As long as it's not something in the line of: “Please get a win for us, we've waited a while”, I don't care.

I think the cheersquad might try to come up with something spesh this week. But I'm pretty sure they have to clear every single banner via the Club, and they try to plug the sponsor/s where they can too.