GO DOGS!!!

Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
HB: Dylan Addison, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Shaun Higgins, Mitch Hahn, Josh Hill
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Liam Picken
I/C: from Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Will Minson, Brodie Moles, Sam Reid, Brennan Stack, Easton Wood

In: Eagleton, Everitt, Moles, Reid, Wood
Out: Akermanis (ankle), Hargrave (hamstring)

Collingwood
B: Heath Shaw, Ben Reid, Ben Johnson
HB: Harry O’Brien, Simon Prestigiacomo, Nick Maxwell
C: Luke Ball, Dane Swan, Alan Toovey
HF: Paul Medhurst, Travis Cloke, Alan Didak
F: Dayne Beams, Brent Macaffer, Leon Davis
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Dale Thomas
I/C (from): Sharrod Wellingham, Chris Dawes, Steele Sidebottom, Josh Fraser, Cameron Wood, Leigh Brown, Tarkyn Lockyer

In: Paul Medhurst, Josh Fraser, Leon Davis, Leigh Brown, Tarkyn Lockyer

Out: Shane O’Bree, John Anthony (both omitted)

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Sam Ried! To early for mine!!

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Disapointing about Hargrave but hopefully that hamstring is causing his poor form and he will be ready to go again soon!

I'd like to see Everitt, Minson (unless we are going in with 1 ruck and Everitt/Williams which I doubt) Moles, Wood on the bench as I think its too early for Ried and Eagleton should have another week in the 2s, Stack to have a couple of weeks in the 2s and then hopefully back in.

bulldogsman
03-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Disapointing about Hargrave but hopefully that hamstring is causing his poor form and he will be ready to go again soon!

I'd like to see Everitt, Minson (unless we are going in with 1 ruck and Everitt/Williams which I doubt) Moles, Wood on the bench as I think its too early for Ried and Eagleton should have another week in the 2s, Stack to have a couple of weeks in the 2s and then hopefully back in.

I agree, except I'd leave Stack in and Addison out.

ledge
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Collingwood has named a few decent players in the "ins" column.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I agree, except I'd leave Stack in and Addison out.

I think we need Addisons hardness at the ball this week but his skills could hurt us with the pressure of Collingwood, but the same could be said about Stack not having an impact this week I guess.

Mofra
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Guess at the interchange?

Minson, Everitt, Moles, Wood (Stack shaded).

DFA named on the ground so he wins a reprieve.

Doggy
03-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Collingwood has named a few decent players in the "ins" column.

In reputation only. 4 of them have had a very ordinary year. Hope it continues on Sunday arvo.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Id like to see and would bet on that aswell.

chef
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM

DFA named on the ground so he wins a reprieve.

Minson, Everitt, Moles and Stack for me.

choconmientay
03-06-2010, 06:52 PM
GO DOGS!!!

Collingwood
In: Paul Medhurst, Josh Fraser, Leon Davis, Leigh Brown, Tarkyn Lockyer

I don't like Medhurst and Davis to come in against us through.

Nice to see Moles, Everitt and Wood in the 'In' listing.

chef
03-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Out: Shane O’Bree, John Anthony (both omitted)

I was hoping these two would stay in:(.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Let's just hope that Davis and Medhurst continue their poor form - I hate to say it, but they or one of them at least, usually pulls a great game out of their backsides against us - b *(* ger:eek:

GVGjr
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM

I'd have to agree. One more week at Williamstown to improve his fitness would have been ideal.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Loved the way he went about things when he got a game last year.
Probably just named this week to let him know he's close?

bulldogsman
03-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I think we need Addisons hardness at the ball this week but his skills could hurt us with the pressure of Collingwood, but the same could be said about Stack not having an impact this week I guess.

I think we have enough hardness (Ward would be nice though), i'm more worried about our skills and speed. Plus I don't really agree with replacing a forward for a defender.

Minson, Everitt, Moles and Stack for me.

I think this is what will happen though, but I'd like to see Addison out for Wood but I doubt it.

divvydan
03-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Minson, Eagleton, Everitt and Stack is what I suspect it will be. Would like to see Moles playing but not sure he will get the nod.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 07:36 PM
I think Moles should be a certain inclusion this week, and hopefully Everitt plays further up the ground.

We went in with just Minson I think (it might have been Hudson) and Everitt in round 22 last year and it worked well but this year they have Jolly, but I still wouldnt mind giving Williams or Everitt another go and then we could bring in another runner.

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Hope Moles has a massive game!!!!

Moleh moleh moleh moleh

choconmientay
03-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Hope Moles has a massive game!!!!

Moleh moleh moleh moleh

Hehehhe, let me jump on the Moles wagon and shout with you "Moleh moleh moleh moleh ....":D

Doc26
03-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Heard Schwarz on SEN on the run home mention the above as well. Has to be a typo.
Think this should read Akermanis (Hamstring), Hargrave (Ankle).

LostDoggy
03-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Heard Schwarz on SEN on the run home mention the above as well. Has to be a typo.

Yeah I was wondering why it said Ankle on Aker, that makes sense then.

Mantis
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM

I saw a photo on the Bulldogs FB site showing Hargrave meeting 'extreme sports legend Travis Pastrana today'

Looked ok on his ankle in the photo.

Doc26
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I saw a photo on the Bulldogs FB site showing Hargrave meeting 'extreme sports legend Travis Pastrana today'

Hope Shaggy wasn't tempted to take his RM out for a squirt, doesn't strike me as a crusty ;)

w3design
04-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I think we have enough hardness (Ward would be nice though), i'm more worried about our skills and speed. Plus I don't really agree with replacing a forward for a defender.

Ward has been brought in for Willy seniors so hopefully we don't have to wait too long to see him back in the side. I think we've missed him, hopefully we see Johnno back this year too. Our midfield misses both of them, along with the reduced output of Acker.

G-Mo77
04-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Ward has been brought in for Willy seniors so hopefully we don't have to wait too long to see him back in the side. I think we've missed him, hopefully we see Johnno back this year too. Our midfield misses both of them, along with the reduced output of Acker.

He's named in the reserves playing Centre which is still a good sign.

Mantis
04-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Reading through our team doesn't instill a great deal of confidence.

Our HF line doesn't fill me with much joy and one would think that both Williams and Addison are going to have to play at or near their best for us to be chance.

EasternWest
04-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Reading through our team doesn't instill a great deal of confidence.

Our HF line doesn't fill me with much joy and one would think that both Williams and Addison are going to have to play at or near their best for us to be chance.

That's an interesting thing to say Mantis. I would have thought our success was more dependent on our "star" players performing. What makes you think either of those two would make that big a difference?

Ghost Dog
04-06-2010, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=G-Mo77;156956]GO DOGS!!!

Western Bulldogs
I/C: from Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Will Minson, Brodie Moles, Sam Reid, Brennan Stack, Easton Wood

Out: Akermanis ( big mouth / political correctness )

Mantis
04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
That's an interesting thing to say Mantis. I would have thought our success was more dependent on our "star" players performing. What makes you think either of those two would make that big a difference?

With a number of first choice players out (up to 6) of this weeks 22 I think we will need an even contribution across the board, which includes Williams & Addison.

There will be times through this game when our 'stars' are being held or aren't winning the ball so in these periods we will need, as a team to stand our ground in the contest. Put simply if our lesser lights don't perform through these tough periods we could in all likelihood concede a lot of goals and play ourselves out of the game.

While we do need our 'star' players (Cooney, Griffen, etc..) to play well, and if they do we have a great chance of winning, but if Williams, Addison, Hill, Hahn, etc.. have stinkers we will have difficulty getting over the line.

Mantis
04-06-2010, 10:57 AM

From Aker's mouth (from his interview on MTR on Monday morning):

'People are calling for me to be dropped. The issue is that I am playing injured, with nerve damage in my hamstring, which has affected my form. I can't run at full pace without pain or bend down without pain. I can now go away and get fixed away from all the spotlight.'

'My hamstrings not right. I am sick of playing injured, getting bashed over the head while trying to help my team win.'

The Pie Man
04-06-2010, 10:59 AM
With a number of first choice players out (up to 6) of this weeks 22 I think we will need an even contribution across the board, which includes Williams & Addison.

There will be times through this game when our 'stars' are being held or aren't winning the ball so in these periods we will need, as a team to stand our ground in the contest. Put simply if our lesser lights don't perform through these tough periods we could in all likelihood concede a lot of goals and play ourselves out of the game.

While we do need our 'star' players (Cooney, Griffen, etc..) to play well, and if they do we have a great chance of winning, but if Williams, Addison, Hill, Hahn, etc.. have stinkers we will have difficulty getting over the line.

As was the case last week - we need that bottom third to 'step up' (I hate hearing that phrase at work, but it's true in this context) especially against Collingwood who often display an even spread contribution wise from their 22.

EasternWest
04-06-2010, 11:06 AM

So to use another worn out cliche we need the gap between our best and worst narrowed. I concur.

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 02:46 PM
So to use another worn out cliche we need the gap between our best and worst narrowed. I concur.

That cliche is very pertinent for us this season. I will stop saying it now.

w3design
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
He's named in the reserves playing Centre which is still a good sign.

My mistake. I thought he was gonna play seniors going by WilliamstownFC's tweet this morning. It is good news and I hope he comes back quickly. We have too many marginal players in the team at the moment.

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I would like to see Everitt to play ruck in place of Minson. Also Wood for Hargrave. Reid for Aker and Eagleton for Stack. Would make as a much more mobile quicker side.

Something we have been lacking this year.

Mantis
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I would like to see Everitt to play ruck in place of Minson. Also Wood for Hargrave. Reid for Aker and Eagleton for Stack. Would make as a much more mobile quicker side.

Something we have been lacking this year.

According to reports from fellow posters Reid isn't match fit just yet and from what we have seen this year Eagleton's inclusion wouldn't make us a quicker or more skilful team.

BulldogBelle
04-06-2010, 04:32 PM

l have heard that Ward will play a couple of games for Willy. If he pulls up sore after these games he will probably not play the rest of the year. The dreaded OP.

choconmientay
04-06-2010, 04:58 PM

'Star' player always shine on the cost of the solid work of other 'quite' achiever of the game like DFA, Williams, Picken ...etc ...

In the modern game (with all the young guys coming through and the fast pace), I think we can not having only our best 22 but have to maintain our list within the best 26 or 28 players. We need to have a plan to rotate them and have them fresh and firing at all the time when we line them up. This way we can bring in new young players, resting old experiences players and maintain a healthy competition among them.

w3design
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
l have heard that Ward will play a couple of games for Willy. If he pulls up sore after these games he will probably not play the rest of the year. The dreaded OP.

Yep, it must be very difficult to shake. Let's hope he can shake it but if he can't.... next year it is.

There are a few guys that seem to be carrying long term niggles which are seriously hampering their footy. Johnno, Acker, Higgins, Hargrave, Picken then add to that list Ward and Murphy and then the players generally down on output from previous seasons like Hahn, Minson and Eagleton and you can see why we've come back to the pack. Much is going to have to go right for us to have any impact in the finals.

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I'd have to agree. One more week at Williamstown to improve his fitness would have been ideal.

This is by no means a snap back at you because you're usually 100% on the money, but honestly I don't see how keeping him at the level he's at is going to improve his fitness. However, pushing him up to AFL level can quickly do that, a lot quicker than the VFL at any rate. If he can contribute better than the bloke he's replacing, I say play the man.

Well, was he running around for 120 minutes chasing forwards and putting heaps of pressure and load onto the ankle?

divvydan
04-06-2010, 05:42 PM
In: Eagleton, Moles
Out: Jason Akermanis (hamstring), Ryan Hargrave (ankle)

Final team from afl.com.au

The Underdog
04-06-2010, 05:44 PM
This is by no means a snap back at you because you're usually 100% on the money, but honestly I don't see how keeping him at the level he's at is going to improve his fitness. However, pushing him up to AFL level can quickly do that, a lot quicker than the VFL at any rate. If he can contribute better than the bloke he's replacing, I say play the man.

Yes but he's not going to help us much if he's "blown up" 20 minutes into the 3rd quarter and can't contribute any longer, where another week running out a full game might help him build to that level. Remember he's had no real pre-season so he's going to take some time to build up his fitness. Don't get me wrong I really like the way he plays his football, but from all reports he struggled a bit last week to run out the game.

The Underdog
04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
In: Eagleton, Moles
Out: Jason Akermanis (hamstring), Ryan Hargrave (ankle)

Final team from afl.com.au

Surely there is meant to be a :D to indicate that you're kidding, cos you are kidding right? Right?

Crap

Mofra
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Surely there is meant to be a :D to indicate that you're kidding, cos you are kidding right? Right?

Crap
Confirmed. Moles & Eagleton in. Would have been nice for Skinny to get a run, being one of our better ball users.

The Underdog
04-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Confirmed. Moles & Eagleton in. Would have been nice for Skinny to get a run, being one of our better ball users.

Not to mention his form and effort before getting injured was as good as it's ever been and he apparently went alright at Willy last week.
Good to see we're not rewarding that, but hey I look forward to seeing what Eagle comes up with, maybe I'll be surprised:rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I must say I'm as confused as everyone else with the Eagleton recall.

He's a chronic underperformer in tough games and his form last week was average at best.

Addison is a very lucky little soldier.

Raw Toast
04-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I'll be very (VERY) surprised if there is not a late change or two... (though I think Eade doesn't want the Pies to out-run us again)

The Underdog
04-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Addison is a very lucky little soldier.

He's not Robinson Crusoe either, a couple of lads named Stack and Hahn are living on that island.
Easton Wood and Andrejs must be a little miffed.

azabob
04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
He's not Robinson Crusoe either, a couple of lads named Stack and Hahn are living on that island.
Easton Wood and Andrejs must be a little miffed.

It is concerning when have at least 4 players who perhaps shouldn't be playing.

At least with last year when we were thinking Eagleton and others shouldn't be playing we were winning so it was hard to fault the Match Commitee.

Doc26
04-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Dumbfounded. Just hope we haven't lost this at the selection table.
Dre and Easton are very stiff based on some of the plodders holding their position who are consistently mentioned week in week out as not cutting it at this level.

jazzadogs
04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Collingwood
In: Fraser, Medhurst, Davis, Brown
Out: Dawes, Anthony, O'Bree, Wood

Happy with the Brown for Dawes swap. Hopefully Davis is underdone, Medhurst still out of touch and Fraser just continues being himself.

Bit surprised by the Eagleton inclusion, but I suppose that is proof that Eade still believes that he is in our Best 22 and he will therefore get a lot more games.

chef
04-06-2010, 06:10 PM

Crap:(, would have loved Everitt to come in to cover for Shaggy.

I was worried that we would be to short down back but the Pies have dropped Dawes and Anthony(but they brought in Brown and Fraser)

mjp
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM

We are talking about Sam Reid here, right? He has only played a handful of AFL games in his life...picking him now after just a couple of weeks at Willi smacks of desperation to me. He should have a couple of bog's in the bank before being selected.

Dreamers pick kids is a Malthouse'ism I know, but it is true in this case.

mjp
04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Bit surprised by the Eagleton inclusion, but I suppose that is proof that Eade still believes that he is in our Best 22 and he will therefore get a lot more games.

Given our inconsistent performances, I can't help but think Eagleton represents a 'known' quantity to the match committee whereas so many of the alternatives - Wood for example - are impossible for them to predict.

chef
04-06-2010, 06:21 PM

I'm not a fan of players finding form and fitness in the firsts, no matter who they are.

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
It took only three and a half days for the club to show that Eade's 'form and fitness' selection criteria that he mentioned during the Aker press conference is utter crap.

This week's team (unless late changes are made) is a joke. What does Everett have to do to get a game? Why won't they try him at centre half forward? Why wouldn't they replace Hargrave with Wood to ensure that our defence isn't undermanned (especially when considering that it was Collingwood's small forwards that cut us up in round one)?

Good young players at Williamstown aren't rewarded with an opportunity in the seniors; out of form seniors are allowed to coast once more.

This has been an extremely disappointing week for our football club.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Given our inconsistent performances, I can't help but think Eagleton represents a 'known' quantity to the match committee whereas so many of the alternatives - Wood for example - are impossible for them to predict.

Seems the way they see it, doesn't it. Very disappointing though. Eagleton is finished and has never been able to perform in 'bigger' games anyway. We know what we get from him; next to nothing. Why not give Everitt/Wood an opportunity, because they couldn't do any worse.

It took only three and a half days for the club to show that Eade's 'form and fitness' selection criteria that he mentioned during the Aker press conference is utter crap.

This week's team (unless late changes are made) is a joke. What does Everett have to do to get a game? Why won't they try him at centre half forward? Why wouldn't they replace Hargrave with Wood to ensure that our defence isn't undermanned (especially when considering that it was Collingwood's small forwards that cut us up in round one)?

Good young players at Williamstown aren't rewarded with an opportunity in the seniors; out of form seniors are allowed to coast once more.

Have to agree with this. I thought the match committee had done a fair job by dropping players like Minson and Eagleton when they had to be, but this is stupid. Eagleton has been absolute crap at both AFL/VFL level but he gets another game before players that are a) better and b) who we should be developing for future years.

Why do we keep going back to our senior players in trying times? They constantly let us down in the first place. Hahn included.

Frustrating.

mighty_west
04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Crap:(, would have loved Everitt to come in to cover for Shaggy.

Likewise, or even Wood, either could have been a straight swap for Shaggy, that said, Addison must have been kept in the side to play a close tagging role on one of their dangerous smaller forwards, rather than a Wood or Everitt who would be used more for their offensive work rather than defensive.

chef
04-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Have to agree with this. I thought the match committee had done a fair job by dropping players like Minson and Eagleton when they had to be, but this is stupid. Eagleton has been absolute crap at both AFL/VFL level but he gets another game before players that are a) better and b) who we should be developing for future years.

Why do we keep going back to our senior players in trying times? They constantly let us down in the first place. Hahn included.

Frustrating.

It certainly is.

Remi Moses
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
What is going on? They lose a running defender and whack two mids in!!Wood should have come in and Eagleton with his great big game record:eek:I'm staggered as to what is happening

Remi Moses
04-06-2010, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=G-Mo77;156956]GO DOGS!!!

Western Bulldogs

Last line very funny:p

LostDoggy
04-06-2010, 07:00 PM

+1

Has been my main concern over the past few seasons, same players rotated in & out. It has changed a little bit this season, but still worrying.

Can't believe Everitt isn't in, joke.

mighty_west
04-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Can't believe Everitt isn't in, joke.

I think i would prefer Everitt in, for Stack.

Stacky might just get cut up by the Pies defence, plus Everitt can give us more options.

Mantis
04-06-2010, 07:35 PM
A little bewildered by these selections.

I guess the coaches live and die by their selections so they should know what they are doing.

Let's hope we respond with a good performance because if we don't we will have some angry punters amongst us....

Doc26
04-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I guess the coaches live and die by their selections so they should not know what they are doing.

Not sure if this is freudian Mantis but humourous none the less

Mantis
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Not sure if this is freudian Mantis but humourous none the less

Yes it was, but it probably read what most are thinking.

GVGjr
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM

My logic is that with with Williamstown he will play the full game and mainly in the midfield. If he were to play for the Dogs he will be used off the bench and possibly on a flank. For a player that is underdone with his fitness more time in the midfield should be better for him.

Rocco Jones
04-06-2010, 10:07 PM
A little bewildered by these selections.

I guess the coaches live and die by their selections so they should know what they are doing.

Let's hope we respond with a good performance because if we don't we will have some angry punters amongst us....

Agree with all that.

The Eagleton inclusion is just so very uninspiring. He has had a couple of injuries, struggled for form when playing for us and then was apparently decent at best for Willy but gets a game ahead of a couple of kids who have been doing more at Willy for awhile. Eade seems to look for any reason he can to keep on playing the older guys. Does he have any belief in Wood at all? Must be demoralising for the kid.

I cannot believe Dre isn’t in. He was performing well before his injury. With Shaggy being out and Dre coming off a strong game for Willy it seemed the perfect time to bring him back in. But no, he fails the over 28 years old test you need at the Dogs to have a cemented spot in the side.

I know some here will defend Eade and the MC no matter what with the stock standard ‘you don’t know what he is actually trying to do’ line but the heat should be well and truly be on them IMO. Running out of deflection targets too with Aker out for a month.

chef
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Agree with all that.

The Eagleton inclusion is just so very uninspiring. He has had a couple of injuries, struggled for form when playing for us and then was apparently decent at best for Willy but gets a game ahead of a couple of kids who have been doing more at Willy for awhile. Eade seems to look for any reason he can to keep on playing the older guys. Does he have any belief in Wood at all? Must be demoralising for the kid.

I cannot believe Dre isn’t in. He was performing well before his injury. With Shaggy being out and Dre coming off a strong game for Willy it seemed the perfect time to bring him back in. But no, he fails the over 28 years old test you need at the Dogs to have a cemented spot in the side.

I know some here will defend Eade and the MC no matter what with the stock standard ‘you don’t know what he is actually trying to do’ line but the heat should be well and truly be on them IMO. Running out of deflection targets too with Aker out for a month.

Well said Rocco.

Rocco Jones
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Well said Rocco.

Thanks mate, but I would also love dearly to be proven wrong.

mjp
04-06-2010, 11:29 PM
What is going on? They lose a running defender and whack two mids in!!Wood should have come in and Eagleton with his great big game record:eek:I'm staggered as to what is happening

I actually think we needed two more mids...but at the expense of forwards, not defenders.

Is anyone else thinking that the plan is to play Eagleton out of a back-pocket, shuffle Harbrow up the ground and use Addison as the rotating small defender?

It is the only thing I can think of.

chef
04-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks mate, but I would also love dearly to be proven wrong.

Lets just hope Dre's a late inclusion.

divvydan
05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I actually think we needed two more mids...but at the expense of forwards, not defenders.

Is anyone else thinking that the plan is to play Eagleton out of a back-pocket, shuffle Harbrow up the ground and use Addison as the rotating small defender?

I think the plan is that Higgins plays a little deeper forward with stints on ball, essentially taking over Aker's role (Higgins also had a mini fitness test at training Thursday and is clearly not 100% although passed it well), Eagleton takes Higgins' spot as a high half forward/outside mid, Addison takes Hargrave's back flank role and Moles takes Addison's defensively minded midfield role.

Bulldog Joe
05-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Well I am one who approves of Eagle's inclusion. I think we need his run and he did well enough at Willi as I stated in my report on the game. ( I know some others did not agree)

Everitt I would consider unlucky, but only one game back from injury and Addison is perhaps more defensively minded. Addison has been pretty good for about 6 weeks although he was down last week.

Stack was also poor last week but was very good against Sydney and is capable of the defensive pressure we need from forwards.

Attitude is the key this week.

bornadog
05-06-2010, 12:39 AM

Well its clear that Collingwood are going with a small forward line and thats how they beat us last time with Medhurst, Didak and Davis all kicking multiple goals.

Mantis
05-06-2010, 06:28 AM

No, I believe that Eagleton will be used as a defensive forward role on Shaw.

Mantis
05-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Start rant:

So here I am in bed at 5am trying to get some much needed sleep and all I can think of is the bloody Western Bulldogs... The mind is racing with thoughts and idea's... Trying to work out why they have picked the team they have... So I come to the conclusion that if I don't get these idea's out of my head I will go crazy... (I have an early tee off anyway so it ain't all bad)

Team selection:

The lead in bit - For tomorrow's game we will have Hargrave, Aker, Johnson, Ward & Murphy missing thru injury, all 5 play in our best team if fit. We will have Stack, Grant, Williams, Hill & Addison all in the team with many of these so far unable to show on a consistent basis the ability to play well against quality opposition. Grant has probably done the best, but it's an unknown how he will go against a Maxwell or a Harry O.

More kids - Could we afford to play more 'unknowns'?? The next 2 to add to the team would be Everitt & Wood. Both probably deserve to be in the team, but what would we get from them? Would they be grouped with the other non-performers or would they rise to the challenge?

The Eagleton story continues - I was hopeful that having had to wait 7 years to see him dropped I would have to wait more than a week to see him re-called... but no. So why was he picked? Is there a specific job for him? What job would this be? Can he even play a role anymore? I can only think that they believe picking Eagleton is a 'safer' option than Wood or Everitt as he is a known factor, you know what you will get from him. I would argue that against good teams Eagleton will struggle as he has in the past, others will be hopeful that his 'gut running' and long kicking will be a factor. We have shown Eagleton much faith in selecting him, I think a little too much so it's best that Eagleton repays the MC with a good game.

Kids v Oldies - What would you prefer: a/ an understrength team topped up by kids learning and having a dip or b/ an understrength team topped up with older players who may or may not let us down? Tough choice, but I would go with (a). I guess we have gone for a bit each-way tomorrow and it will be interesting to see how it eventuates.

How can we win:

It is going to be tough against quality opposition at full strength with our team missing several key components, but we can win and maybe this is how.

Leaders - We have had a tough week off the field with the 'Aker saga' blowing up. Our leaders played a big role in the outcome and from the Murf article we must think that the 'team before individual' line will be a big focus this week. Our leaders must lead front the front on Sunday - Our 'co-captains' must lead the way.

The big guns - We must get big games from our big names. Our 10 best players must play well. In no particular order Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Hall, Lake, Hudson, Gia, Harbrow, Morris & Cross must lead from the front. They have to be sure with the ball and set the tone with our defensive intensity.

Stack, Hill & Grant - Get on your bikes!!! We must spread the Collingwood defense and these 3 will play key roles in dragging their opponents away from each other. We must spot them up when they are free. Each of these 3 has the ability and talent to play well. Time to bring it!

Williams & Addison - They must play well, they must!! Williams has to beat Cloke, just has to. Dylan has had a lot of faith placed upon him, time to repay a little of it on Sunday.

Gilbee - Bring your best kicking boots, we are going to need them.

Higgins & Hall - I would play Higgins alongside Hall and try and play through him early. Higgins isn't moving as well as he can, but he can mark and he can kick. Collingwood's focus will be on Hall so lets use that to our advantage. Collingwood will zone off their opponents to get in front of Hall, they always do, but at some time the gates will open and we will get to use him... We (he) must remain patient, but we must also play through other channels.

Hahn & Eagleton - Don't get in the way, no seriously dont'!!... Time to step up boys or your time in the team will be just about be up.

End rant.

(Time to get ready for golf feeling a whole lot better that that is off my chest and out of my head.... Good day to all)

chef
05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I think the plan is that Higgins plays a little deeper forward with stints on ball, essentially taking over Aker's role (Higgins also had a mini fitness test at training Thursday and is clearly not 100% although passed it well), Eagleton takes Higgins' spot as a high half forward/outside mid, Addison takes Hargrave's back flank role and Moles takes Addison's defensively minded midfield role.

I would prefer he not play if he's not fit. Hopefully Rockets just playing mind games and we have a late change.

Oh, and good rant Mantis.

LostDoggy
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
In: Moles, Eagleton

Out: Hargrave, Akermanis;)

mjp
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Start rant:

So here I am in bed at 5am trying to get some much needed sleep and all I can think of is the bloody Western Bulldogs... The mind is racing with thoughts and idea's...

Try coaching.

The Pie Man
05-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Try coaching.

Can only imagine (coaching U16 basketball doesn't count I guess ;))

Off track slightly - I wonder how many finals are played by guys who are running on about 4 hours sleep....I can relate to Mantis' racing mind this morning, and we're only fans.

Back to the game - with Dawes out (and L Brown in...:confused:) is there potential for Lake to move forward at times? Hargrave out might restrict this option...if it even appeals to the MC

Great post by Mantis before - one thing he didn't touch on was Minson. I almost view a positive contribution from Will as a bonus these days, and tomorrow would be perfect for him to provide a bonus mark and goal here or there.

Will be a long day tomorrow waiting for this one to start

Rocco Jones
05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Great post by Mantis. Was going to dissect it but not sure I would have offered anymore insight than 'I agree'.

One thing I like about the team for tomorrow is the extra runners but like mjp, I believe they should have been at the expense of at least one forward and more to the point, two. Stack, Hahn, Higgins and Hill offer very little forward defensive pressure at the moment. Harry O, Shaw and Maxwell running off them and co. is a massive worry. I really hope we apply a real forward defensive tag for two reasons. 1/ Shaw is a different player when he gets attention 2/ Not like we have strong depth in scoreboard pressure from our forwards and it's obviously a good way to increase the defensive work of our forward line.

If I have to be positive about Eagle, perhaps Collingwood are the quality team for him to play. They have a few players who 'cheat' and run forward of play. Also could mean the extreme opposite and them exposing his lack of defensive pressure. Probably his only genuine elite trait left is his ability to run out a game, hopefully he can hurt them going the other way and put pressure on their backline. Remember I did say if I have to be positive, I really dislike the selection. I just see Eagle vs Wood as such a perfect opportunity to play a kid ahead of an older guy.

Eade and the MC seem to pick their team each week almost purely based on the best 22 to run out there that week, as if we are playing a final every week. I have issues for a couple of reasons. One is that we seem to play guys injured, which really hurts their overall output but that's for another thread/day. I also think it really hurts our players development long term. Kids need to be playing AFL footy sometimes even if they are probably not in the best 22. I think our extremely short term approach to team selections has/is going to catch up with us.

boydogs
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Most games are won and lost in the midfield. Everitt and a half fit Reid won't help us there. I wouldn't have done what the selection committee have done, but if they were worried about our run through the middle then better to make this move and it be overkill than blowing another game in the 4th quarter

It is obvious that they are trying to boost our midfield rotations, which should help Cooney and Griffen to play in explosive bursts. When you're talking about contributions from players 21 and 22, then what they offer to the structure of the team would come into account as well as their individual output. Collingwood are known for their higher number of interchanges and the number of players that they can swing through the midfield

I hope that Eagleton & Moles justify their selection and help us run over the top in the last quarter