PDA

View Full Version : last qtr charge falls short again

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM
WE would have to be the most schizophrenic team going around.
Two weeks in a row we play three quarters of ordinary football, turning the ball over, kicking forward with little thought, and allowing teams to run us off our feet.

Two weeks in a row, we suddenly discover our intensity, run, carry, daring play and are able to score freely again.

What is with this?

I think this is the key to our problems at the moment, insofar as I don't think it's a case of another team stopping. More importantly I think it is that in these last quarters we are actually playing the type of football that made us good in the first place. Playing on quickly, everyone running hard, and breaking lines with blokes continuing to run after dishing it off, and finally finishing off the good work with goals.

Eade simply must get this group to play this brand of football from the get go, not wait until the game is all over.
Our guys need to play this daring brand of football from the start of the siren to the end.

And although I was only watching on TV and couldn't see the whole of the ground, we didn't look like we were down-hill skiing when we made our charge, as otherwise the Filth would've been able to get one or two back as soon as we turned it over. Instead when we turned it over we were able to still hold our structure and pressure them again.

angelopetraglia
06-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Was at the game.

Agree. We need to play more attacking.

We changed our style every so slightly this year. We went a few pegs towards StKilda instead of trying to play like Geelong.

It is costing us badly.

We need to attack more, take the game on. So very disappointing.

Even in that last quarter we made so many poor choices moving forward. We kicked 6 goals for the quarter,but should have kick 7 or 8 even more was our dominance.

Swoop
06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I posted the below italic section in the Dogs v Pies match day thread but thought that it was relevant in the questions you ask Yankee.

For mine obviously there are a number of factors but attitude and mental toughness would have to be one of the major reasons behind our past 2 performances.

Yes, while we played more direct and ran harder and did a number of things differently in both last quarters, ultimately we played with greater intensity as if the game meant something and that for me shows that it is between the ears.

Firstly I'd like to start off by saying that generally I am glass half full sort of person but I find myself getting continually frustrated with our performances in recent times.

For a side to put up that Jekyll & Hyde performance two weeks in a row is a true a disappointment. Our effort in the past two weeks is a true indictment on the playing group and their lack of mental strength & toughness. Both last quarter efforts only show to me that we are in fact good enough and highlights more than anything that it is our attitude that is lacking - a poor reflection on the players.

There is a saying "The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result."

At the moment we continue to persist with the same players against the big teams and we continue to expect a different result despite being let down in the past.

As I've stated earlier, I am generally a positive person and will defend players despite criticism but it's time players were made accountable for their effort or rather lack of. One spell now could send a clear message and save heartache later in the year.

If I was Everitt at the minute I w€ould be fairly frustrated at not being able to get back into this side especially when others continue to be given the benefit of the doubt which doesn't appear to apply to all players. I do not expect wholesale changes however I certainly hope that there is a clear message sent by our match committee this week of what is and is not acceptable.

Unfortunately I fear the reality is a much different story and there will be the token 1-2 changes with the usual suspects included and life will continue to be rosy in dog land.

boydogs
06-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Maybe Rocket is too focussed on preparing them for finals football, or worried about the ability of our underdone mids and forwards to compete in a shootout

At least we are finishing over the top of teams now, as opposed to games earlier in the year e.g. Brisbane where we blew a lead

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Match reminded me of Dogs v Pies mid last year..

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Nice post Swoop.

I think then we just have to hope that Eade says to those repeat offenders that they've now used up all of their last chances, and makes some brave calls with selection this week.

For mine, Hahn and Eagleton have to go.
Ward is the guy we need desperately, however he is probably not goin to be ready until after the mid season break, Reid is probably in the same boat too.

Everitt has to come in, and maybe Wood?

mjp
06-06-2010, 09:20 PM
WE would have to be the most schizophrenic team going around.
Two weeks in a row we play three quarters of ordinary football, turning the ball over, kicking forward with little thought, and allowing teams to run us off our feet.

Just another poor display. We play with adventure when there are no consequences of failing - basically, when the game is lost.

The Pie Man
06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Match reminded me of Dogs v Pies mid last year..

And the Geelong game when Johnson missed after the siren...and the QF last year against Geelong.....and the Essendon game last week.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Just another poor display. We play with adventure when there are no consequences of failing - basically, when the game is lost.

So do you think the brief from the coaches for next week should be to tell the group "forget the consequences, you have a licence for adventure"?

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
And the Geelong game when Johnson missed after the siren...and the QF last year against Geelong.....and the Essendon game last week.

Ouch.

The Pie Man
06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Ouch.

Yup, it hurts

Frustrating pattern

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
No sense of urgency from the boys until its too late.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
And although I was only watching on TV and couldn't see the whole of the ground, we didn't look like we were down-hill skiing when we made our charge, as otherwise the Filth would've been able to get one or two back as soon as we turned it over. Instead when we turned it over we were able to still hold our structure and pressure them again.

Ok here is a tip. DO NOT watch Bulldogs games on the TV anymore. DO NOT watch them at the game. FAR too FRUSTRATING to see a team only play half a game of football just to lose it by a few kicks. I suggest logging into AFL.com and using the flash app. You don't have to put up with collingwood fans, and the frustration of watching turnovers. Last week the game ruined my whole weekend. Tonight, I just simple closed my laptop and said a little sigh. Poor Bulldogs.

Remi Moses
06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Not good enough simple and totally unacceptable.It's time to drop a big name or two and make a statement,Carlton did it a while back and shows that no spot is a given.Our transition from half back to the forward 50 is nothing short of pathetic:mad:

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah big problems coming out of defence for us at the moment. Especially when the opposition is flooding, we make it worse by following them into the zone and if we do hit up a target at the half back line, we got no-one in up the ground to get it to.

The Adelaide Connection
07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Somebody needs to remove "Champions" and "The Mighty Ducks" from the Whitten Oval Dvd library. Yeah it's amazing to win against the odds lads, but sheesh lets just concentrate on winning.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I keep hearing the same thing - that somehow we have changed our game plan and it is obviously not working! How come the media know it, and we seem to know it, but the coaching staff don't? I am disappointed and frustrated to see the boys falling short like this. Surely it is time to make some tough decisions with the team, make the changes, and perhaps get them back to playing more attacking footy. Some might say that other teams have worked us out - perhaps that's true, but I much prefer to watch a fast and attacking dogs side than the one that come to play for 3 quarters at the moment.

Mantis
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I keep hearing the same thing - that somehow we have changed our game plan and it is obviously not working! How come the media know it, and we seem to know it, but the coaching staff don't? I am disappointed and frustrated to see the boys falling short like this. Surely it is time to make some tough decisions with the team, make the changes, and perhaps get them back to playing more attacking footy. Some might say that other teams have worked us out - perhaps that's true, but I much prefer to watch a fast and attacking dogs side than the one that come to play for 3 quarters at the moment.

What do the coaching staff have to change in order for us to start playing the type of footy you would like to see?

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately due to our mental state at the moment, dropping two or three big names might only have the reverse effect — force players into their shell and more afraid of committing skill errors.

If we do drop somebody, it should be for effort, not for form. What I like about Stack and Addison is that they're trying. I'd be looking to drop Gia, Hahn (sorry Mitchy, you know I love ya!) Higgins (I know he's injured, but he should know his spot isn't just waiting for him), Hill. These are the players that are taking a stroll across the centre whilst blokes like Hudson are running their guts out. Or Lake, who is playing both sides of the field at the moment, not because it's his job (because it's not) but because that's what the team needs.

bornadog
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
What do the coaching staff have to change in order for us to start playing the type of footy you would like to see?

An interesting point brought up last night on Foxtels "On The Couch". From the time Lake went forward at the 10 minute mark of the third quarter we kicked 10 goals to Collingwoods 7. All this shows is that we are lacking in the half forward line. Lake filled that gap for us.

We are really missing Murphy's form of the past when he basically controlled that area and help feed the forward line. We seem to come out of the backline and look up and there is no one to kick to, then we get pressured and try and kick long to only turn it over.

Curly5
08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe in the mid-season break, they could abbreviate the family holiday and do a review, Geelong-style, where they are all brutally honest about each other's strengths and weaknesses, and set out what's required and expected of each person in the second half of the season, before it's too late. Coaches included. Line in the sand stuff, pledging to back each other come what may, etc. It's now or never for a lot of these guys.

Mantis
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Maybe in the mid-season break, they could abbreviate the family holiday and do a review, Geelong-style, where they are all brutally honest about each other's strengths and weaknesses, and set out what's required and expected of each person in the second half of the season, before it's too late. Coaches included. Line in the sand stuff, pledging to back each other come what may, etc. It's now or never for a lot of these guys.

I am pretty sure that part of each weeks review each player stands in front of the group and discusses their performance on the game just past.

I am not sure how many 'home truths' are brought forward in this process, but it certainly would be the forum to do so.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 12:37 PM
was watching Footy Classified last night and they all mentioned giving Lake more time up forward. It's been proven to work, and it gives us another tall target apart from Hall, who i think we kick to far too much. Our unpredictabililty up forward is basically gone, especially with Johnson, Aker, Murphy, Higgins all injured.

This would leave our main backmen as Williams, Morris, Hargrave, and possibly Everitt if Rocket ever gives him another go. If we ever want Williams to be the key defender we want him to be, then at some stage we're going to have to play him on of the big guns. His body finally looks right (fingers crossed), so give him a chance. Granted, i would probably try this after the Brisbane game but it's something we're gonna have to do eventually.

On the plus side, Grant is finally starting to show why he was a top 5 pick, and Ward got through his retrurn at Willy reserves quite well (BOG i think).

ledge
08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
A person I work with plays for Werribee and his younger brother plays at Willy, he said Wardy got 34 touches and only played 60% of the game, absolutely murdered them.

In saying that it was Frankston but we have promoted players from VFL reserves before, and its not like he is a new player.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Glad he got back ok, but i highly doubt we'll play him against Brisbane. Odds are he'll be back after the break (hopefully Murphy and Johnno will to).

Mofra
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Yup - match fitness will be an issue. Needs some serious gametime at VFL level to prove he can run out a game. Nice to know he can find the football though.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Mantis, if I am reading your inference about my post correctly, I agree upon reading it again, you are right - maybe its not all about the game plan. I do not consider myself to be an expert on the footy like many on this forum, but it just seems we have gone more defensive, and are not playing our attacking, fast running, free flowing game as much. I have mentioned in another post that injuries are hurting us (see Murphy in particular) and it seems our confidence is shot as well. I didn't mean my post to be as negative as it seems. I'm a glass half full person, so I am trying to see the positives whilst being disappointed in our form so far this year. Like everyone, I long to see my beloved dogs play in a grannie, and win the flag :o