PDA

View Full Version : Round 12- Selection changes

Hotdog60
06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Going on tonights dismal effort, changes to the side should be the axing of Hahn, Eagleton and Addison.

Also Stack, had a touch of the Hills and fail to put his body on the line when needed.

becmatty
06-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Round 12 Vs Brisbane.

A massive match for the fortunes of our season and with many players pressing for selection or returning from injury, the heat will be on a number of players after some indifferent performances.

Possible OUTS

Under the most scutiny will be:

1. B. Stack - Just not hard enough at the ball and must certainly be demoted.

2. D. Addison - Doesn't get enough of the ball and doesn't hurt the opposition at all with his disposal.

3. M. Hahn - Appears to have lost a lot of confidence, has the serious fumbes. He appears likely to retain his position in the team however if the coaching team decide to play Lake up forward again and need Hahn's size to cover him down back. Time will tell, but certainly, the acid will be on Mitch.

4. B. Moles - Did some good things, but not enough impact and butchered the ball a couple of time which hurt us.

5. N. Eagleton - A servicable game, but will again come under some scrutiny, especially on this forum, where folks love sharpening the axe whenever his name is mentioned.

6. J. Hill - Just seems to do enough each week to narrowly hold onto his spot, but we need a big lift from him. He will be under the microscope, but likely to again be safe.

7. S. Higgins - Was lookin sharper until the turf gave way. Ankle scans will determine the extent of the damage. Hopefully he will be right.

8. B. Hudson - On report, but the 'dangerous tackle' should be thrown out and we expect Ben to have no case to answer.

Possible INS

1. R. Murphy - If he is cleared fit to play, Murph will be a welcome return. Fingers crossed.

2. C. Ward - After a run this week, selectors may be tempted to rush him back, but I think this would be unlikely.

3. R. Hargreave - Depending on a fitness test, Shaggy will be rushed straight back in.

4. A. Everitt - Surely he must return. Here's hoping.

5. B. Johnson - A long shot, but we are desperately missing his presence and need his achillies to recover. NOW.

6. J. Roughead - Has been desperately unlucky, but Minson will be hard to shift, so it seems that Jordan will have to be content with dominating at Williamstown.

7. E. Wood - Keeps on knocking, but can't come in.

8. J. Akermanis - Can't wait to see him back, and WOOFers will be anxiously monitoring the champ's rehabilitation.

I'll be interested on your thoughts WOOFers...

Rocco Jones
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
The selection changes really rely on a lot of variables.

I would rest Higgins, might be a good to give him a good spell with the break coming up soon.

I think Grant will get suspended. Hudson's report was a bit less severe than Mumfod's incident with Ablett but going by the 3 weeks he got I think Ben might be in trouble.

Would love to drop Hahn, Eagle and Stack but not sure we have the depth. Definitely would have Wood and Everitt in.

Jones in for Grant.

Is Shaggy available again?

The Bulldogs Bite
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
As Rocco said, we may have our hand forced with Hudson, Grant and Higgins possible outs already.

Having said that, Hahn is the first player I'd drop without hesitation.

becmatty
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
For me its In: Murphy, Hargreave, Everitt
Out: Addison, Stack, Hahn

Mofra
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Rocco covered alot of it.
Grant's likely suspension is a worry, Higgins looks like he'll miss, and we had a few passengers today.

Stack out - last week was poor, this week was poor with weak endeavour as well, twice glaringly.
Eagleton did some reasonable work and probably stays in given the injury/suspension.
Addison will be saved by Reid needing match fitness.

Out: Stack, Higgins(inj.), Grant(susp.)
In: Everitt, Wood, Jones/Callan

Not sure on the last in. Jones could come in and play a Grant type role, Tim Callan was BOG by all accounts but he might exacerbate our disposal problems if Cooney & Griffen cop heavy tags.

Hotdog60
06-06-2010, 09:56 PM
The selection changes really rely on a lot of variables.

I would rest Higgins, might be a good to give him a good spell with the break coming up soon.

I think Grant will get suspended. Hudson's report was a bit less severe than Mumfod's incident with Ablett but going by the 3 weeks he got I think Ben might be in trouble.

Would love to drop Hahn, Eagle and Stack but not sure we have the depth. Definitely would have Wood and Everitt in.

Jones in for Grant.

Is Shaggy available again?

I forgot about the other stuff, yes Grant could be in trouble, the general feeling by the fox commentators think Huddo will be ok.

Higgins with his luck will most likely miss, if it's not that bad maybe give time off until after the break.

If Huddo does go we've got Roughy.

Mofra
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
If Huddo does go we've got Roughy.
I thought Minson played one the best games I've seen from him. He would be adequate cover for Hudson as a no 1, and I guess if Roughy comes in he could play a 2nd tall type role assuming Grant is out & Hahn plays elsewhere as he tries to invent a new role for himself in the side.

SonofScray
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
What did Grant do? I came home from soccer just before half time and missed any reportable incident?

LostDoggy
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I think i missed this Grant stuff, what happened?

EasternWest
06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Round 12 Vs Brisbane.

3. R. Hargreave - Depending on a fitness test, Shaggy will be rushed straight back in.

I'll be interested on your thoughts WOOFers...

It's Hargrave. Hargrave.

Hotdog60
06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I think i missed this Grant stuff, what happened?

Not 100 % sure but I think he hit Reid in the throat and the Fox said he was coughing up blood, but it didn't look like it. More just winded from the hit in the windpipe.

Rocco Jones
06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
FWIW here are my ins and outs

In- Wood, Everitt, Jones
Out- Grant (susp), Higgins. Stack/Hahn/Eagleton

Good excuse to rest Higgins either way.

Even if Shaggy is right, I would bring him in. He has been woeful this season and probably should come back through Willy but I think we should look for any reason to replace Hahn and Eagleton.

I am normally against playing raw talls as if they don't go well they can be a masive liablity but hey, it's not like our smaller forwards offer any mobility anyway. Might as well have a guy who might actually take a grab.

Roughead for Hudson if he is suspended.

azabob
06-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Most likely won't see Murphy till after the split round.

Hotdog60
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Eade refused to comment on Hudson's report except to say it was for an aggressive tackle.

He also confirmed a two-week - and possibly as many as six - layoff for Higgins, who was on crutches after the game and is expected to require an operation.

AFL.com

AndrewP6
06-06-2010, 10:26 PM
If Hudson gets weeks for tackling someone, the AFL is a bigger joke than I thought. No case to answer, IMO. Hahn and Eagle were ordinary, but history tells me they won't be dropped. I'd be looking to swing the axe at Addison and Stack.

Maybe IN Everitt and Wood
OUT Addison and Stack.

Not sure Murph will be seen next week, Higgins to miss a couple, Grant may get rubbed out. .... :eek:

Doc26
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Possible suspensions aside the two weakest links in this team are again Addison and Stack to be replaced with Everitt and Wood. Gia is bludging as his Higgins although his ankle injury saved him from further condemnation. Gia's first three quarters tonight were about as bad as it gets and wouldn't mind seeing him getting dropped for Hargrave's return to send a message that should've been sent long ago to the senior members of the team.

craigsahibee
06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Rocco covered alot of it.
Grant's likely suspension is a worry, Higgins looks like he'll miss, and we had a few passengers today.

Stack out - last week was poor, this week was poor with weak endeavour as well, twice glaringly.
Eagleton did some reasonable work and probably stays in given the injury/suspension.
Addison will be saved by Reid needing match fitness.

Out: Stack, Higgins(inj.), Grant(susp.)
In: Everitt, Wood, Jones/Callan

Not sure on the last in. Jones could come in and play a Grant type role, Tim Callan was BOG by all accounts but he might exacerbate our disposal problems if Cooney & Griffen cop heavy tags.

If Tim Callan gets a game we are well and truly stuffed

GVGjr
06-06-2010, 10:38 PM

He played well today and took the game on with some positive runs. It might be a surprise selection but hardly the time to wave the white flag.

SonofScray
06-06-2010, 10:39 PM
It isn't always a popular call, and is sometimes a stupid call but I think Gia needs to be dropped. Test the guys mettle a bit and say 'if you are a leader of this club, you need to perform.'

GVGjr
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
It isn't always a popular call, and is sometimes a stupid call but I think Gia needs to be dropped. Test the guys mettle a bit and say 'if you are a leader of this club, you need to perform.'

He's in poor form but I wonder who else could replace him

Rocco Jones
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM

As opposed to the pillars of brilliance that are Hahn and Eagleton. Hahn didn't even have physical presence today, I think that makes him zero dimensional now.

Hotdog60
06-06-2010, 10:44 PM
As opposed to the pillars of brilliance that are Hahn and Eagleton. Hahn didn't even have physical presence today, I think that makes him zero dimensional now.

In Hahn's defense, it's hard to have a physical presence when your nowhere near anybody to be physical with.:)

Rocco Jones
06-06-2010, 10:57 PM
In Hahn's defense, it's hard to have a physical presence when your nowhere near anybody to be physical with.:)

Yeah that's been my issue with Hahn for awhile. Most fans love his physical presence when the ball is in his immediate area but he struggles greatly to get to those areas.

He was too easily knocked off the ball in a few contests today.

SonofScray
06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
He's in poor form but I wonder who else could replace him

I've not seen much of Willy, what are the likes of Reid, Wood etc doing? IS there someone of that ilk that we could ask to play on a flank with a real focus on keeping the ball in? I'd sacrifice the scoring option of Gia for a bit of a "role players" right now, just to ask the question of Daniel and to give a young bloke a chance.

Mantis
06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Where do you start?

Higgins was ushered down the race at 3/4 time so obviously isn't right.

Hahn = horrible.

Up to 5 more have every right to be dropped, they being Addison, Eagleton, Stack, Hill & Gia (has had 4 poor games in a row)

Our season is at the cross-roads.... Which track to we take from here?

The Coon Dog
06-06-2010, 11:27 PM

I thought his negating effort on Heath Shaw was much better than anyone has been able to do for our team on him for a while.

I know we got bugger all out of him going forward, but it was also nice to have the clamps put on Shaw for a change.

Eagleton was a surprise to many when he was selected, unfortunately he failed to justify the faith shown in him by the match committee. Personally, I think if he's dropped again, I'd be telling him that he's a Willy player for the rest of the year.

Mitch Hahn looked like he was in a 45 year old man's body today; slow, fumbled, no second efforts.

Addison looks at times like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

I still feel we need more run, so at first guess I thought I'd drop Eagleton, Stack, Hahn & Addison. Grant to miss through suspension & Higgins to rest.

Unfortunately, there aren't 6 I can see being promoted, so I'd only make 4 changes with Grant (susp) & Higgins (inj) to miss along with Eagleton & Addison (both dropped). Stack & Hahn to get a reprieve.

In would be Everitt, Wood, Hargrave & Callan.

Remi Moses
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
In Wood Everitt Johnson (please stop giving us this two to Three weeks tripe)Murphy

Out Grant (think he'll go)Hahn(just to far off the pace) Stack (poor decision maker and just not hard enough) Addison (has a crack but his turnovers and fumbles are not acceptable for an elite footballer)Higgins Inj
and poor form. Oh crap I forgot Ryan Hargrave in

The Pie Man
06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Not 100 % sure but I think he hit Reid in the throat and the Fox said he was coughing up blood, but it didn't look like it. More just winded from the hit in the windpipe.

It was more high chest region than throat, but it didn't look good and is likely looking at a brief break.

SonofScray
06-06-2010, 11:47 PM
It was more high chest region than throat, but it didn't look good and is likely looking at a brief break.

Was this early in the game?

The Coon Dog
06-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Was this early in the game?

No, half way through the last quarter.

jazzadogs
07-06-2010, 02:30 AM
No, half way through the last quarter.
I still can't recall it...whereabouts on the ground? Did Reid get a free kick for it?

And is Hudson's report for the tackle where he picked someone up off the ground, similar to how Jolly had tackled Griffen earlier in the game without consequence?

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 06:10 AM
OUT - Addison (disaster), Hahn (lump), Higgins (injured), Grant (only if he is suspended). No exceptions to that list. Not one. Addison should have been dropped last week and Hahn was on his absolute last chance and failed.

I'd dance a merry jig if I could drop Gia, Eagleton, Stack and Hill as well but we don't have the cattle at the moment. When was the last time that Gia played well for us? How many games this year has he been ok in? Two? Three? Stack will be a good player for us in the future.

KEEP OUT - Johnson, Murphy, Reid & Ward. None are ready yet and I only want them in the seniors when they are ready. Surely we've learnt from Higgins' season that playing guys hurt gets you nowhere.

IN - Everett (and play him in the lead up role at centre half forward), Wood, Hargrave (but only if he's fit), Jones/Roughead (a tall deep target to help in the forward line if Grant is suspended as Brian will be needed in defence - may as well consider giving one of the two kids a crack).

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Just caught the end of Game Day yesterday and Johnno was on, he mentioned that he and Aker will likely be playing for Willie against North Ballarat - when (sorry missed the date). It is up Ballarat, and they showed a picture of the ground covered in snow - Johnno laughed and said, "well, at least I won't have to ice my achillies!". Wanted all Dogs supporters to come up and cheer them on........:o;) I guess this means no Johnno for a few weeks?

chef
07-06-2010, 10:08 AM

I would love to see Callan come in and play back pocket. This would allow Harbrow to play in the middle. His run and agility would be perfect to get through the rolling zone that's so effective against us, plus his turnovers by foot wouldn't hurt as much.

Ozza
07-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Agree with the sentiments about Eagleton and Hahn. Eagle should just retire - the penetration in his kicking was his saving grace - and that is gone now, he shouldn't play again. Hahn is just so slow and I'm really not sure what he brings to the side.

I can't see any justification for Addison playing. we dead set have to hide him out there at times, I think when he dropped a mark on the wing and he and Hahn managed to crash into each other and both fall down, leaving the Pies players to run off with the ball - it just summed the both of them up perfectly.

Moles' decision making is atrocious at times, he wasn't the worst - but not far from it - how Everitt wasn't playing is beyond me.

Desipura
07-06-2010, 10:33 AM
In: Jones, Reid, Hargrave, Wood, Everitt and Roughead
Out: Hahn, Stack, Addison, Higgins and Grant & Huddo (suspended)
Lucky not to be dropped: Gia, Williams & Eagleton

Mantis
07-06-2010, 10:35 AM
In: Jones, Reid, Hargrave,Callan,Tiller and Roughead
Lucky not to be dropped: Gia & Eagleton

You make 6 changes, but don't bring in Wood or Everitt - no way.

Desipura
07-06-2010, 10:36 AM
You make 6 changes, but don't bring in Wood or Everitt - no way.
Correction see below

Desipura
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM

chef
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM

I thought Williams did alright:confused:

Desipura
07-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I thought Williams did alright:confused:
You are easily pleased

chef
07-06-2010, 10:39 AM
You are easily pleased

Must be.

Ozza
07-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Williams was far from being one of the worst.
And Gia did the job he was asked to do. Shaw always kills us - and this was the first time he hasn't. I just think Gia was the wrong man to do it given we missed out on his good use of the ball.

Mantis
07-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Williams was far from being one of the worst.
And Gia did the job he was asked to do. Shaw always kills us - and this was the first time he hasn't. I just think Gia was the wrong man to do it given we missed out on his good use of the ball.

Who should have been?

Stack or Eagleton would be the one's I would have chosen.

Desipura
07-06-2010, 10:50 AM
4 possessions in a half footy. I dont care how quiet he kept Shaw, you need to also get the ball and provide a target for our midfielders to kick to.

stefoid
07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Lets say Higgins is out, Hudson and Grant suspended. We wont need to drop anyone extra, we will be scrambling for AFL standard replacements.

IN: Everitt, Roughhead and Wood?

Ozza
07-06-2010, 10:57 AM
4 possessions in a half footy. I dont care how quiet he kept Shaw, you need to also get the ball and provide a target for our midfielders to kick to.

He was playing deep in the forward line and was often dragging Shaw away from where Hall was leading to.

To answer Mantis' post - I thought the reason Eagleton was picked may have been for him to play defensive on Shaw. We just lost too much out of Gia's game being sacrificed.

Mofra
07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Who should have been?

Stack or Eagleton would be the one's I would have chosen.
Ideally Stack would have been given the job, but he was absolutely awful yesterday and if Gia was plan B, he would have been given the job anyway by the end of the first quarter.

I thought Gia did ok but losing his ball use was a little like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Desipura
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Grant & Huddo are a chance at getting suspended, Higgins is injured. Thats 3 changes then there is Hahn who surely must be dropped? 4 changes minimum. Stack must get dropped as well, 5 changes. It adds up pretty quickly. How many changes you think?

Mofra
07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
As much as I have criticised Hahn, I'd drop Stack before Hahn. He was worse yesterday.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Thought Williams was ok... this week roll the dice play him on Brown, Lake up forward on Lions ordinary defence

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
For the Willy watchers is Jones a chance or is he not ready yet?

How about Boumann as well could he cover Lake for a bit of the game to go forward?

jazzadogs
07-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Grant & Huddo are a chance at getting suspended, Higgins is injured. Thats 3 changes then there is Hahn who surely must be dropped? 4 changes minimum. Stack must get dropped as well, 5 changes. It adds up pretty quickly. How many changes you think?
I agree with bornadog. I can't see Eade making anywhere near 5 changes. I wouldn't be upset if he does, in fact I would be happy, but I can't see it happening.

There is plenty of logic behind the changes you suggest, but history would suggest that Rocket won't do it.

mighty_west
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Lets say Higgins is out, Hudson and Grant suspended. We wont need to drop anyone extra, we will be scrambling for AFL standard replacements.

IN: Everitt, Roughhead and Wood?

Roughead would be a straight swap for Huddo.

Everitt for Grant, i would also like to see T Callan in for Addsion, he just adds so much more than what Addison does, apart from looking tough, what else does Addsion bring to the table? Timmy puts his body on the line as much as anyone in the side, plus he has a better footy brain, you can just see that by the way he goes about it.

Stack also has to go, questions on Mitch Hahn etc, but i agree with others, Rocket won't make alot of changes.

chef
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Assuming Hudson and Grant are not suspended.

Out
Stack, Higgins, Hahn and Addison

In
Callan, Everitt, Wood and Hargrave

stefoid
07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Rose any danger of pushing for selection?

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 04:18 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention it so far: I saw Minson blatantly stick his right leg out horizontally and i'm sure he made contact with the Pies player (forget who it was). Think it was late in the game, in our fwd pocket. He may get sighted by the MRP for tripping.

That would mean:

- Hudson has been reported and may miss on the Mumford Rule
- Minson may get sighted and suspended
- Grant reported, and while i didn't see the incident, i saw Reid physically gasping/doubled over. Many think he'll go.
- Higgins injured

There are four changes that may be enforced regardless.

Those to be realistically considered for dropping are
- Addison
- Hahn
- Eagleton
- Stack

Likely replacements: Well we have Wood knocking on the door. Jones as a similar, yet totally unproven replacement for Grant, Roughead, Everitt (fwd/back/pinch hit ruck).

We all know the conservative nature of the match committee. We know in extreme cases there are never more than 2 or 3 changes maximum. Maybe this week we'll see 4. If the Tribunal and injuries take toll i think we'll see a conservative approach and only those forced by hand will be replaced. We may be stretched as it is with those.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Likely replacements: Well we have Wood knocking on the door. Jones as a similar, yet totally unproven replacement for Grant, Roughead, Everitt (fwd/back/pinch hit ruck).

We can only try, Grant wasnt exactly knocking down the door to seniors before he got a chance after only showing nothing in his first AFL game and look how he has turned out, Jones is actually (well as I have heard from others) playing pretty good for Willy so if he is close enough to ready he must be a chance.

We also need another Jones type player to help out Hall in our forward line!

divvydan
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Grant has been charged with striking Collingwood’s Ben Reid during the final quarter of his team’s narrow loss at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

The contact was found to be high and intentional, attracting a two-game suspension. But Grant can have that reduced to one match with an early guilty plea.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95875/default.aspx

Doc26
07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Match review findings: Hudson in the clear. Grant offered one week with early plea.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Bad news about Grant. Probably only been about the shining light this season. Should take the one week and cop it on the chin, though.

I personally think Everitt should play at CHF but it must be tempting to bring Jones in.

Pickenitup
07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
In Wood Callan Rose Everitt
Out Addison Stack Higgins Grant
I would put Hargrave in for Callan if fit i think we are crying out for
a crumbing forward and Rose seems a good fit

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Hahn has been saved from the axe by Grant's suspension.

The Pie Man
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
In Wood Callan Rose Everitt
Out Addison Stack Higgins Grant
I would put Hargrave in for Callan if fit i think we are crying out for
a crumbing forward and Rose seems a good fit

I've read people mention Harbrow before to solve our forward issues, and never gave the idea much thought he's been that good in the back half - but with Stack not standing up, Callan BOG for Willy and Harbrow getting soundly beaten early by Davis...maybe it's time to try again?

Pickenitup
07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Def would love to see Harbrow go forward again remeber prelim final 08 against Cats

azabob
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Bad news about Grant. Probably only been about the shining light this season. Should take the one week and cop it on the chin, though.

I personally think Everitt should play at CHF but it must be tempting to bring Jones in.

From the reports the last couple of VFL games he has been playing there so perhaps the club now see's him long term as a forward type rather than a outside running midfielder?

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Grant will have to come back in through the Williamstown now, considering Everitt had to & form counts for nothing.

azabob
07-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Grant will have to come back in through the Williamstown now, considering Everitt had to & form counts for nothing.

I hope that is just a throw away line.

I would have Grant in the team before Everitt purely for the roles they have been playing in the seniors.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I hope that is just a throw away line.

I would have Grant in the team before Everitt purely for the roles they have been playing in the seniors.

They both should be in, i was merely pointing out the fact that if you're not an established senior player, you get no credits.

lemmon
07-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Out- Grant, Hahn, Higgins, Addison
In- Everitt, Wood, Jones, Hargrave

Eagleton should be thanking his lucky stars. Stack is extremely fortunate and in my mind simply not up to the standard but for team balance you couldnt drop that many forwards, was a toss up between Addison and Stack in the end. Jones in to stretch the relatively small Brisbane backline, Wood to provide run, Everitt back to where he should be and the calm head of Hargrave returns.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Out - Higgins, Grant

In - Everitt, Hargrave (providing his ankle comes up) if not then Wood

Dont think we should panic just yet 5 of our starting 22 didnt play and higgins was hurt early. In the end 10 points to a full strength Filth. So to swing the axe to more senior players would be a mistake, we might as well send Willi out. Yes some are down on form and effort but dropping them isn't the answer.... just yet. I think we are being hard on Addison yes he does seem to turn it over but dont underestimate concussion he has taken some big hits lately so he will get better. Hahn is third on our goalkickers and having sent him to the backline might just have woken him up so one more chance.
Not sure what is happening with our fitness? Does our fitness man have an ironman background? IMO we seem to dour and remind me of a Melb. cup horse running in a 2000 metre race were getting left flat footed at the tower!! Dont panic fellow bulldogs we are sixth with half a side.

How do we get Matty Panos on the SENIOR LIST????

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Don't believe we can keep Stack at the moment not up to senior footy just yet but will come good. Decision made for us on Grant and Higgins. Provided that no senior players come up from injury, I'd go:

Out ::: Stack, Grant, Higgins
IN ::: Everitt, Wood, Callan

Play Harbrow forward and put the acid on Hahn, Eagle and Hill

Bulldog Joe
07-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Don't believe we can keep Stack at the moment not up to senior footy just yet but will come good. Decision made for us on Grant and Higgins. Provided that no senior players come up from injury, I'd go:

Play Harbrow forward and put the acid on Hahn, Eagle and Hill

I like those changes

jazzadogs
07-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Out - Higgins, Grant

In - Everitt, Hargrave (providing his ankle comes up) if not then Wood

Dont think we should panic just yet 5 of our starting 22 didnt play and higgins was hurt early. In the end 10 points to a full strength Filth. So to swing the axe to more senior players would be a mistake, we might as well send Willi out. Yes some are down on form and effort but dropping them isn't the answer.... just yet.

We really can't use this an excuse. On the weekend, Geelong were missing Ottens, Corey, Ling, Rooke, Scarlett and Hawkins all missing, with Pods injuring himself in the warm-up and Mooney hobbling around on his ankle all game. And they won. Sure it was 'only' West Coast at Subiaco, but they've had variations on that all season and still sit on top of the ladder.

Panos, by all accounts, is not ready for AFL and his stats at the weekend were inflated by the team's dominance in the final quarter. Not to mention he is playing in the VFL reserves.

mjp
07-06-2010, 11:53 PM

Has he become a midfield runner? Why do we need him on the senior list?

Just a strange comment.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 12:30 AM

I reckon you are pretty close to the mark with this one.

Callan would be handy down back .... instead of Addison (not sure where he could play but 4 changes are too many) Timmy would also add a defender with footy smarts and allow Lake to go forward for some time.

Everitt would be a good replacement for Grant and provides plenty of options.

Wood has been banging the door down and should be a good replacement for Stack. (I dont think we can have Stack and Hill in the same team)

A few players lucky ot still be alive ...... Mitch, Gia and Addison.

Sockeye Salmon
08-06-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm probably just about the biggest blue sky-er on this site, but it's time.

B: Callan, Morris, Everitt
HB: Gilbee, Williams, Hargrave
C: Harbrow, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Giansiracusa, Hall, Moles
F: Hill, Lake, Eagleton
R: Hudson, Picken, Cooney
I: Minson, Cross, Reid, Wood

In: Callan, Everitt, Hargrave, Reid, Wood.
Out: Higgins, Grant, Hahn, Stack, Addison.

I really wanted to drop Eagleton as well but there just wasn't anyone else to bring in and Eagleton may contribute something, the other three were giving nothing at all.

Williams gets Brown, Morris gets Fevola, Everitt gets Staker. Harbrow gives unpredicability and flair further up the ground. Lake marks it every time they try to zone off him.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 01:44 AM
They both should be in, i was merely pointing out the fact that if you're not an established senior player, you get no credits.

And if you are an established player, you get so many credits that it's almost impossible to run out of them. Thus making them worthless.

FrediKanoute
08-06-2010, 02:49 AM
How far away is Johnno? He would have to come straight in if he is fit!

GVGjr
08-06-2010, 06:48 AM

I really wanted to drop Eagleton as well but there just wasn't anyone else to bring in and Eagleton may contribute something, the other three were giving nothing at all.

Williams gets Brown, Morris gets Fevola, Everitt gets Staker. Harbrow gives unpredicability and flair further up the ground. Lake marks it every time they try to zone off him.

I'd be very close to agreeing with those ins and outs. The big question will be if the selectors are willing to go with 5 changes.

MrMahatma
08-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Callan is better than Addison. And in fact, apart from Morris & shaggy, the only guy any sort of chance of shutting down a small forward. Should've played against the Pies. Isn't a 22 games per year player, but should play when opposition have dangerous smalls. Having said that, not sure of his match up against the Lions.

chef
08-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Callan is better than Addison. And in fact, apart from Morris & shaggy, the only guy any sort of chance of shutting down a small forward. Should've played against the Pies. Isn't a 22 games per year player, but should play when opposition have dangerous smalls. Having said that, not sure of his match up against the Lions.

He would be perfect for shutting down Banfield.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 08:57 AM

What you said, good team and ins & outs, agree 100%:)

Ghost Dog
08-06-2010, 08:58 AM
I thought Minson played one the best games I've seen from him. He would be adequate cover for Hudson as a no 1, and I guess if Roughy comes in he could play a 2nd tall type role assuming Grant is out & Hahn plays elsewhere as he tries to invent a new role for himself in the side.

All you Minson axe Grinders out there take note of the above quote. Big will, back in form. You beauty.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2010, 09:03 AM
As much as I have criticised Hahn, I'd drop Stack before Hahn. He was worse yesterday.

I think Stack should be kept on the bench and given a limited run to get his confidence up.
He has the skills, he is just a little gentle and needs to go in harder.
Tell me if I am wrong, but Josh Hill used to be similar and he has really improved his defensive tackle work.

Remember that headlock of Barry Hall's? Stack stood around like he was taking a little breather! Only for Coony to come in and Dump a guy. Haaha. Fire up Stack-man!

Mantis
08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I think Stack should be kept on the bench and given a limited run to get his confidence up.
He has the skills, he is just a little gentle and needs to go in harder.
Tell me if I am wrong, but Josh Hill used to be similar and he has really improved his defensive tackle work.

In modern footy with the amount of rotations teams now have you can't afford to sit a player on the bench for extended periods, it just isn't workable.

mjp
08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
All you Minson axe Grinders out there take note of the above quote. Big will, back in form. You beauty.

Woo hooo. 5 possessions? Or was it 6. Just hang on whilst I call the curator of the Hall of Fame.

I actually thought he was OK, but if that is the best we are going to get and qualifies as 'back in form', then he will never be more than a backup.

Will has a long way to go to become a consistent, impact player. The difference in his intensity levels from moment to moment still vary way too much.

Mofra
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Woo hooo. 5 possessions? Or was it 6. Just hang on whilst I call the curator of the Hall of Fame.

6 Kicks, 5 handballs, 4 tackles, 12 hitouts and 3 goals.

Given he is a no 2 ruckman and spends more time forward than he does in the ruck, 3 goals is a reasonable output and I dare say for most no 2 ruckmen, resting forward, that'd be a pretty good result.

Josh Fraser was Collingwood's no 2 ruckman and he had 8 disposals, 1 tackle, 6 hitouts and 1 goal.

I think in terms of the no 2 ruckmen, this is one battle we won.

lemmon
08-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Only real problem I have is up forward. Against Brown and Fev and with Lake up forward we're looking at needing 14-15 goals to be really safe, I cant see those forwards providing that. The midfield with Cross, Boyd and Picken is quite defensive so there's not much to be gained on the scoreboard there. Unless someone bobs up with 3 or 4 and Hall and Lake both kick bags (far from guaranteed) I just don't see how we can outscore the twin towers with that lineup.

Mantis
08-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Only real problem I have is up forward. Against Brown and Fev and with Lake up forward we're looking at needing 14-15 goals to be really safe, I cant see those forwards providing that. The midfield with Cross, Boyd and Picken is quite defensive so there's not much to be gained on the scoreboard there. Unless someone bobs up with 3 or 4 and Hall and Lake both kick bags (far from guaranteed) I just don't see how we can outscore the twin towers with that lineup.

Playing on Lake in his past 5 clashes Brown has averaged 18.4 disposals, 10.4 marks & 2.8 goals per game. Would it get a whole lot worse if Williams had a crack?

If Williams fails we can throw Lake back, but our forwardline actually looked functional in the last qtr against Collingwood and for that reason alone it we should seriously consider rolling the dice.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Possible suspensions aside the two weakest links in this team are again Addison and Stack to be replaced with Everitt and Wood. Gia is bludging as his Higgins although his ankle injury saved him from further condemnation. Gia's first three quarters tonight were about as bad as it gets and wouldn't mind seeing him getting dropped for Hargrave's return to send a message that should've been sent long ago to the senior members of the team.

If you had a full list available then on current form you would drop both Gia and Hahn. Both will survive because of the loss of both Higgins and Grant. I would take a punt by rushing back Callan Ward, together wuith Hargrave, Everitt and Wood. Addison and Stack are simply not good enough to play senior football and I would put Tim Callen in the same category. We desperately need stronger bodied players like Ward who will give you a 100%. At the moment we have only 12 players that can consistently match the opposition's
top teams.
Is it any wonder that we continue to struggle?

Prince Imperial
08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Mantis;158036]Playing on Lake in his past 5 clashes Brown has averaged 18.4 disposals, 10.4 marks & 2.8 goals per game. Would it get a whole lot worse if Williams had a crack? /QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the answer to that is a clear yes.

Mantis
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, the answer to that is a clear yes.

Williams did a pretty good job on Brown when he played on him (abit not for the whole game) up at the Gabba late last year.

divvydan
08-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Playing on Lake in his past 5 clashes Brown has averaged 18.4 disposals, 10.4 marks & 2.8 goals per game. Would it get a whole lot worse if Williams had a crack?

If Williams fails we can throw Lake back, but our forwardline actually looked functional in the last qtr against Collingwood and for that reason alone it we should seriously consider rolling the dice.

It's an interesting question. Looked over Brown's averages in that time period and it comes to 15.4 disposals, 8.1 marks and 3.4 goals per game. This suggests that Brown gets more of the ball on average against Lake but isn't as damaging on the scoreboard, most likely because he's getting the ball further out from goal.

Knowing the way Lake plays, this makes sense as he has a tendancy to drop back from players when they lead high up the ground.

Question will be, with Brown's ongoing groin/hip issues, he's playing closer to goal of late and such a tactic might favour Lake whilst potentially being a problem for Williams as Brown's strength and anticipation should be too good for Williams if they end up in body on body contests.

May well come down to the structure of the Brisbane defence. If Merrett isn't right and Maguire also misses, Staker becomes the key defender on Hall :p and Lake, if he was to go forward, would be on Collier/Clark and could potentially cause more havoc than usual. If on the other hand Merrett and Maguire both play, Lake may not have the impact forward as he did last week as both are very good one on one defenders.

mighty_west
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM

I agree with that, for the first time on the weekend, i was convinced Lake should play forward, i always had my doubts until Sunday evening, we just looked a far more dynamic & dangerous side with the 2 big kew Power forwards, even Minson looked far more dangerous up forward, all of a sudden, Collingwood had to man up, their zone off running hard out of defense, which has really cut us up, did cut us up again for 3 quarters, that was gone.

Listening to Nick Maxwell on radio talking about the game, what he said, also made it clear that this is the structure we must have, he said himself that they all had to be accountable down back, and that got rid of their number one weopon.

Just watching Lake own the forward line, he reads the ball as well as Chris Grant [big call i know], but he reads the play as good as anyone i have seen play in the tri colours, and i also agree with Footy Classifieds, saying that Lake was a wasted talent down back.

What this also does, is free up Bazza, far too often, he is THE focal point, he is constantly double / triple teamed, this in effect just gets the big fella fired up for all the wrong reasons, one thing i was big on when recruiting Barry, was to target a secong tall forward, for this very reason, it just free's everyone up, and makes the opposition far more accountable.

More further changes i would like to see happen, Gia full time in the midfield, he has just been far too inconsistant up forward, just doesn't seem to work hard enough at times to help out his team mates, that also releases Griffen to play more down back, using his elite skills to rebound, along with Gilbee, Harbrow does tent to turn the ball over quite a bit, and as good as he is at reading the play, let's make him that whippy dangerous small forward, perhaps swapping with Josh Hill form a wing, to just mix it up a bit, Joshy does tend to get a bit stale if left up forward for lengthy periods of time, so i see this as a win/win.

Now, down back, we just have to show faith in Morris & Williams & Hargrave to get the job done, Everitt could even help out at times, but i think a plan of making the opposition more accountable will in effect make it alot harder for them to run the ball out with ease, which in effect should make it harder for the opposition to run the ball as quickly as possible down the other end, giving our mids time to help out the defenders.

This week v Brisbane, we can really stretch their defence something cronic, no Goose Macguire, no Ranga, they will virtually have to use Staker & Patful as their key defenders, i think i'd back both Barry & Brian in those match up's just quietly, then who takes Minson when he moves forward on occasions?

How do you think Vossy would feel seeing Barry Hall, Brian Lake & J-Brow all heading towards the forward at at the start of the game!!

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I agree with that, for the first time on the weekend, i was convinced Lake should play forward, i always had my doubts until Sunday evening, we just looked a far more dynamic & dangerous side with the 2 big kew Power forwards, even Minson looked far more dangerous up forward, all of a sudden, Collingwood had to man up, their zone off running hard out of defense, which has really cut us up, did cut us up again for 3 quarters, that was gone.

Listening to Nick Maxwell on radio talking about the game, what he said, also made it clear that this is the structure we must have, he said himself that they all had to be accountable down back, and that got rid of their number one weopon.

Just watching Lake own the forward line, he reads the ball as well as Chris Grant , but he reads the play as good as anyone i have seen play in the tri colours, and i also agree with Footy Classifieds, saying that Lake was a wasted talent down back.

What this also does, is free up Bazza, far too often, he is THE focal point, he is constantly double / triple teamed, this in effect just gets the big fella fired up for all the wrong reasons, one thing i was big on when recruiting Barry, was to target a secong tall forward, for this very reason, it just free's everyone up, and makes the opposition far more accountable.

More further changes i would like to see happen, Gia full time in the midfield, he has just been far too inconsistant up forward, just doesn't seem to work hard enough at times to help out his team mates, that also releases Griffen to play more down back, using his elite skills to rebound, along with Gilbee, Harbrow does tent to turn the ball over quite a bit, and as good as he is at reading the play, let's make him that whippy dangerous small forward, perhaps swapping with Josh Hill form a wing, to just mix it up a bit, Joshy does tend to get a bit stale if left up forward for lengthy periods of time, so i see this as a win/win.

Now, down back, we just have to show faith in Morris & Williams & Hargrave to get the job done, Everitt could even help out at times, but i think a plan of making the opposition more accountable will in effect make it alot harder for them to run the ball out with ease, which in effect should make it harder for the opposition to run the ball as quickly as possible down the other end, giving our mids time to help out the defenders.

This week v Brisbane, we can really stretch their defence something cronic, no Goose Macguire, [B]no Ranga, they will virtually have to use Staker & Patful as their key defenders, i think i'd back both Barry & Brian in those match up's just quietly, then who takes Minson when he moves forward on occasions?

How do you think Vossy would feel seeing Barry Hall, Brian Lake & J-Brow all heading towards the forward at at the start of the game!!

Read in an article that Merritt will play this weekend, hopefully he has a mishap at training!

mighty_west
08-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Read in an article that Merritt will play this weekend, hopefully he has a mishap at training!

I heard that he wouldn't be fit, but i'll take your word for it, either way, i'd still back our forwards.

Mofra
08-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Williams did a pretty good job on Brown when he played on him (abit not for the whole game) up at the Gabba late last year.
The best game he had played in his career IIRC. The broken foot game.

I'd gamble on Williams as first crack, and give Lake spells on him for Williams to rest. As much as people talk about Browns' bulk, he has damn high workrate and is pretty good with repeated efforts.

No Maguire is a great result for us - Staker may have to go to Lake when forward, and Grant will probably get someone he can easily beat overhead (or if he's rubbed out, perhaps a Jones gets a height advantage).

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
No Maguire is a great result for us - Staker may have to go to Lake when forward, and Grant will probably get someone he can easily beat overhead (or if he's rubbed out, perhaps a Jones gets a height advantage).

Staker on Hall? Anyone? :D

ps. On a semi-serious note, Staker has been in some sort of form recently, so Hally better get ready to play and not get too frustrated if we don't kick him the pill properly!

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Just watching Lake own the forward line, he reads the ball as well as Chris Grant [big call i know], but he reads the play as good as anyone i have seen play in the tri colours, and i also agree with Footy Classifieds, saying that Lake was a wasted talent down back.

This week v Brisbane, we can really stretch their defence something cronic, no Goose Macguire, no Ranga, they will virtually have to use Staker & Patful as their key defenders, i think i'd back both Barry & Brian in those match up's just quietly, then who takes Minson when he moves forward on occasions?

I like the idea of starting Lake up forward. We have become too one dimensional going forward through Barry Hall. Lake's presence in attack made us look really fomidable for the first time against Collingwood providing another strong option to Hall. We have also suffered through the poor form of Hahn and Gia who are lucky to be in the team. The loss of Higgins and Grant this week will see them survive. It would be too risky to move Harbrow and Lake at the same time. Callen like Addison and Stack falls short of being a genuine senior player. I would also like to see Everitt to start on a wing rather than in defence. Everitt's best football previously has been on a wing rather than in defence. He would also be a possibility to play forward.

mighty_west
08-06-2010, 04:14 PM
The best game he had played in his career IIRC. The broken foot game.

I'd gamble on Williams as first crack, and give Lake spells on him for Williams to rest. As much as people talk about Browns' bulk, he has damn high workrate and is pretty good with repeated efforts.

And let's face it, [and i know you can never write off a champ] but Brown isn't exactly going at 100% right now, he has been playing off one leg for the past month.

Mofra
08-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Staker on Hall? Anyone? :D

ps. On a semi-serious note, Staker has been in some sort of form recently, so Hally better get ready to play and not get too frustrated if we don't kick him the pill properly!
I'd assume Merritt will go to Hall at first instance, however Lake forward poses an interesting question for Voss, given Lake plays more body on body and Hall as a leading forward.

Merritt looks like the stroinger body between him and Staker, so you may get your wish Lantern :)

Mofra
08-06-2010, 04:18 PM
And let's face it, [and i know you can never write off a champ] but Brown isn't exactly going at 100% right now, he has been playing off one leg for the past month.
True - he's supposedly on a 6 week modified training program.

If we criticise players for being too conservative, surely we would want the coaching staff & match committee to be a little adventurous too.

mighty_west
08-06-2010, 04:24 PM
I like the idea of starting Lake up forward. We have become too one dimensional going forward through Barry Hall. Lake's presence in attack made us look really fomidable for the first time against Collingwood providing another strong option to Hall. We have also suffered through the poor form of Hahn and Gia who are lucky to be in the team. The loss of Higgins and Grant this week will see them survive. It would be too risky to move Harbrow and Lake at the same time. Callen like Addison and Stack falls short of being a genuine senior player. I would also like to see Everitt to start on a wing rather than in defence. Everitt's best football previously has been on a wing rather than in defence. He would also be a possibility to play forward.

I'd like to back in Harbrow up forward, whilst playing Griff more down back, switching from the midfield, this in effect makes Gia play only in the midfield, this can hppefully break Gia's shackles, he just looks a far better player & more involved when playing in the midfield, he just seems to get lazy at times.

I know it's a risk to move both Lake & Harbrow, but i just think they both can be far more damaging than what they are now, we can switch Harbrow & Hill around from a wing & forward pocket, Griff & Gilbee both have elite kicking skills, and can both run the ball out of defence, so that takes care of the problem of losing Harbrow from down back.

What we have right now, just isn't working, and i think just a few moves with players playing in more dangerous positions can really turn things around, all of a sudden Murph won't need to play CHF, but a more natural forward flank, he can also switch down back when required, so that will also help out with rebounding out of defence.

lemmon
08-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Well Grant is back in the team:D

The Pie Man
08-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Well Grant is back in the team:D

Where'd you hear/see that? Can't find that news anywhere

Great if so

lemmon
08-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Great if so

SEN just mentioned the high contact was downgraded to mid level and with an early plea he is under the 100 points

The Pie Man
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
^^^

With that in mind...

In: Callan, Everitt, Murphy, Wood.
Out: Higgins, Hahn, Stack, Addison.

It's the fourth in I'm stuck on - Wood or Reid...or both if you drop Eagle

Those 4 are the easiest outs to pick in a while - though having said that, I get the feeling Hahn will survive.

Rocco Jones
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Great news with Grant, I was even happy with one week.

Bobby and Shaggy will be interesting, would have loved the break to come 2 weeks earlier. I would like us to be cautious with Bobby. Getting his body right is massive for us later in the season. There is a massive temptation to bring them both in as we are struggling to fill out the 22.

I think Callan needs to be ahead of Addison. As much of a negative selection as it looks, Dylan just seems a poor man's version of Callan (that makes for a very poor man). Callan is stronger, more composed and can actually find the ball.

choconmientay
08-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Great if so

Just saw this reported in the news on TV as well. Really happy for Grant. :) Well done to the club to contested the ban.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 07:47 PM
^^^

With that in mind...

In: Callan, Everitt, Murphy, Wood.
Out: Higgins, Hahn, Stack, Addison.

It's the fourth in I'm stuck on - Wood or Reid...or both if you drop Eagle

Those 4 are the easiest outs to pick in a while - though having said that, I get the feeling Hahn will survive.

Of course he will.

Hotdog60
08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Eade said that Wood could become a big possibility this week, I think he'll replace Addison.

Mantis
08-06-2010, 10:53 PM

With Grant now safe do you drop Eagleton?

I guess having Murphy also a possible inclusion gives us another option.

Having just watched the game again I think you have those out's + Eagleton correct.

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2010, 12:25 AM
With Grant now safe do you drop Eagleton?

I guess having Murphy also a possible inclusion gives us another option.

Having just watched the game again I think you have those out's + Eagleton correct.

Offset by Hargrave probably not coming up.

If Murphy plays send him straight to the HBF.

Grant for Eagleton might make us a bit top heavy up forward but it does give us a bit of flexibility if Lake has to take a turn on Brown. Josh Hill will have to take his turn further up the ground.

FrediKanoute
09-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Great news with Grant, I was even happy with one week.

Bobby and Shaggy will be interesting, would have loved the break to come 2 weeks earlier. I would like us to be cautious with Bobby. Getting his body right is massive for us later in the season. There is a massive temptation to bring them both in as we are struggling to fill out the 22.

I think Callan needs to be ahead of Addison. As much of a negative selection as it looks, Dylan just seems a poor man's version of Callan (that makes for a very poor man). Callan is stronger, more composed and can actually find the ball.

What Callan offers is the dour, nuggety back pocket type player. Yep he's not going to create, but his man sure as heck isn't going to get too many easy balls.

Bulldog Revolution
09-06-2010, 08:08 AM
In: Callan, Everitt, Wood
Out: Higgins, Hahn, Stack

I suspect neither Murphy or Hargrave will come up, and I'm not convinced Reid is fit enough yet

w3design
09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
In: Murphy (Everitt)
Out: Higgins

I'd like to see more changes but there isn't too much point yet, shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic really.

Players we need to see in by the end of the season if we're to have any chance: Johnson, Murphy, Akermanis, Ward, Hargrave

Players out of the team if we are to have any chance: Hahn, Eagleton, Stack, Addison, Moles

The game has gone past Mitch and Eagle and Stack, Addison and Moles aren't at the level required, they might get to to that level but not yet.

A bunch of other guys need to improve a hell of a lot too. Rather than an incremental improvement on last year a number of players are worse in a number of areas, skills and decision making mainly.

Mantis
09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Grant for Eagleton might make us a bit top heavy up forward but it does give us a bit of flexibility if Lake has to take a turn on Brown. Josh Hill will have to take his turn further up the ground.

Grant plays like a small.

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Grant plays like a small.

He doesn't really.

I agree he's probably quicker than most but he doesn't run as hard and he's not as skilful by foot as a midfielder. I haven't checked any stats but I would suggest that marks still account for about 50% of his possesions.

Mantis
09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
He doesn't really.

I agree he's probably quicker than most but he doesn't run as hard and he's not as skilful by foot as a midfielder. I haven't checked any stats but I would suggest that marks still account for about 50% of his possesions.

Averaging 14.9 disposals & 5.9 marks per game - so it's about 40%.

I don't have access to stats, but I would think his kicking efficiency numbers would look ok against most of our mids.

jazzadogs
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Averaging 14.9 disposals & 5.9 marks per game - so it's about 40%.

I don't have access to stats, but I would think his kicking efficiency numbers would look ok against most of our mids.
On the weekend, from memory, he was one of only four/five players in our team to have efficiency over 80%. Admittedly, he didn't have many touches, but at least he made them count.

Mantis
09-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Thought about it long and hard, here goes:

B: Callan, Morris, Harbrow
HB: Griffen, Williams, Picken
C: Everitt, Cross, Gilbee
HF: Grant, Lake, Murphy
F: Hill, Hall, Giansiracusa
R: Hudson, Boyd, Cooney

Int: Minson, Wood, Moles, Reid

In: Callan, Wood, Everitt, Murphy, Reid
Out: Higgins (inj), Addison, Hahn, Stack, Eagleton

* Happy to use Griffen as our '3rd tall' in defence.
* Use Everitt on the wing to make use of his good marking and good kicking.
* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Don't think I've ever seen 4 omissions from the dogs.

LongWait
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

^^^^^^^^
My thoughts exactly. Won't happen....but we can dream!

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-06-2010, 03:46 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

This is a good looking line up with some minor exceptions. I like the move of Griffen to defence which would help offset the loss of Lake to the forward line. Everitt to a centre wing is also good. I am still to be convinced that Callan is a senior player. Easton Wood deserves another chance following good form with Williamstown. Murphy returning is a bonus. I would leave out both Reid and Callan at this stage. If you are going to drop Hahn then perhaps Gia should go too as both have been sadly out of form.

Desipura
09-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Reduced my ins by 2 (due to Huddo & Grant getting off)
In: Murphy, Reid, Everitt & Jones
Out: Higgins, Addison, Stack & Hahn

Murphy to play down back, Reid onball with Everitt on a wing/fwd and Jones at CHF.
This is what I want to happen.

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

Like it a lot although Hahn will probably stay and Wood will miss.Time to get dangerous with Lake forward

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Like it a lot although Hahn will probably stay and Wood will miss.Time to get dangerous with Lake forward

Grant getting off will make it almost impossible for Hahn to keep his spot

Doc26
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

Have tried hard to fault this but couldn't. Would be overjoyed to see it happen although history will say that the MC will be gun-shy in making 5 changes. Mantis, hopefully you have some influence at the selection table this week ;)

Mantis
09-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Have tried hard to fault this but couldn't. Would be overjoyed to see it happen although history will say that the MC will be gun-shy in making 5 changes. Mantis, hopefully you have some influence at the selection table this week ;)

I guess we can't always get what we wish for so I will probably have to settle for 2 maybe 3 of these changes, but I guess that's better than nothing.

chef
09-06-2010, 05:56 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

If Hargrave is fit which in will he replace?

Mantis
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM

It was reported this morning that he is unlikely so I would think they will err on the side of caution.

chef
09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
It was reported this morning that he is unlikely so I would think they will err on the side of caution.

Cool.

Doc26
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM

I'd assumed Hargrave wouldn't come up but still a good question. Matchups aside for this week I'd replace Callan's possible inclusion with Hargrave. In 2-3 weeks Moles or possibly Reid (although I hope not, vulnerable that is) will be vulnerable to Ward and then Wood again vulnerable to Higgins IF he's right. Suspect Hill vulnerable to Johnson when right. And then there's Aker ? Hopefully we will be fortunate to have such options available although history would indicate otherwise.

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 07:41 PM
lol I know Panos is not ready for afl, the comment was a bit tounge in cheek. The only reason he is playing for Willi reserves is because he is a rookie listed player and if he was on our senior list they might be more inclined to play him in their firsts, which would help fastrack his development and maybe put some pressure on some guys that could have become complacent re: Hahn and Hill. He can really find the goals and at 192 and 91kgs he could be a handful in time. Sorry for taken up the space probably in the wrong thread guys.

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 07:45 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

I like this team, but if we go in like this when they chuck Mitch Clark forward what do you purpose?

Does everitt get first crack so Lake can stay forward?

Or do we move Lake straight back when he goes forward?

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 07:48 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

As much as i like this team, our MC will never go this left field.

Mantis
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I like this team, but if we go in like this when they chuck Mitch Clark forward what do you purpose?

Does everitt get first crack so Lake can stay forward?

Or do we move Lake straight back when he goes forward?

In reality the wish for Lake to play is probably just that.

In my dreamworld Everitt would be thrown down to help out.

As much as i like this team, our MC will never go this left field.

Agree, but these are my predictions for the selection changes I would make. I really can't control or predict what the MC will do.

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Good-looking team right there.
4 changes need to be the minimum, this tactic of a consistent line-up only works if you're winning.
And seeing as the players don't seem to be listening, it's time to react.

boydogs
09-06-2010, 10:10 PM

* Cross to tag Black.
* Picken on Sherman.

Ins and Outs are OK (although I think Hahn & Addison will be kept and Callan & Wood will miss) but positionally I don't think we are working to player strengths in that lineup

Gia to the middle - needs to be involved in the play to make the most of his ball use

Harbrow forward - needs to crumb from Hall & Lake

Murphy to defense - needs to be 100% fit and in form to play a forward role, and will be needed to fill Lake's role in defense as 3rd man up

Everitt forward - need his marking, running and kicking in Murphy's spot

Hill to the wing - gets outbodied in the forward line, we need to take advantage of his fitness further up the ground

Gilbee to defense - we will need his kicking skills to bring the ball out with Lake and Harbrow forward

Picken as forward tagger - can kick a goal and will be needed for defensive pressure in the forward line

B: Callan, Morris, Gilbee
HB: Griffen, Williams, Murphy
C: Giansiracusa, Cross, Hill
HF: Grant, Lake, Everitt
F: Picken, Hall, Harbrow

Bulldog Joe
09-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Certainly plenty of left field thinking.

However

Lake should start on Brown. Moving forward remains an option and will work better through the season if it is NOT the standard. We also need him on Franklin when we play Hawthorn. Making it an ongoing option also means that other sides cannot plan specifically for him forward.

I see no purpose in sacrificing the most successful match ups we have consistently had.

If he does go forward it needs to be to the goal square. He is more dangerous deep.

Hall showed against Collingwood that he is better suited at CHF where he has more space. He also opens up more space behind as he attracts the defenders. Barry to CHF with others working around hime should now be the normal approach.

Lake can take the pack marks in the goal square that Barry does not take.

LongWait
09-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Certainly plenty of left field thinking.

However

Lake should start on Brown. Moving forward remains an option and will work better through the season if it is NOT the standard. We also need him on Franklin when we play Hawthorn. Making it an ongoing option also means that other sides cannot plan specifically for him forward.

I see no purpose in sacrificing the most successful match ups we have consistently had.

If he does go forward it needs to be to the goal square. He is more dangerous deep.

Hall showed against Collingwood that he is better suited at CHF where he has more space. He also opens up more space behind as he attracts the defenders. Barry to CHF with others working around hime should now be the normal approach.

Lake can take the pack marks in the goal square that Barry does not take.

Lake seemed to do a pretty good job at CHF against Collingwood.

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Lake seemed to do a pretty good job at CHF against Collingwood.

I'm with Joe. Lake was seriously dangerous closer to goal.

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 12:17 AM
B: Morris, Lake, Harbrow

HB: Gilbee, Williams, Murphy

C: Eagleton, Boyd, Cross

HF: Grant, [B]Everitt, Hahn

F: Gia, Hall, Hill

R: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen

I: Minson, Picken, Addison, Stack

Ins: Murphy, Everitt

Outs: Higgins, Moles

Murphy to be eased back in if fit through the backline.
Eagleton to stay in he has a good record against Lions.
Hahn and Stack should improve against already stretched backline.

Finally I get my wish and Everitt is CHF which IMO is where he is most dangerous :D

Desipura
10-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I have had a good think about this, our skills have been down and alot of posters want to bring in Wood, Reid & Callan? They are not renowned for being reliable kicks.

Mofra
10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I have had a good think about this, our skills have been down and alot of posters want to bring in Wood, Reid & Callan? They are not renowned for being reliable kicks.
I don't think Wood is that bad a kick, and he has the ability to add a bit of dash/run the lines. With Shaggy out, I'd like to have one more rebounding option out of the back six and I'd back Wood to provide that.

w3design
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM

I agree with this. Replacing Hahn, Stack, Addison, Moles, Eagleton with less skilled players is not a recipe for success.

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree with this. Replacing Hahn, Stack, Addison, Moles, Eagleton with less skilled players is not a recipe for success.

Do we have anyone less skilled than Hahn or Addison?

mjp
10-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Well, Stack can't pick the ball up and Eagleton can't kick any more...

bornadog
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't think Wood is that bad a kick, and he has the ability to add a bit of dash/run the lines. With Shaggy out, I'd like to have one more rebounding option out of the back six and I'd back Wood to provide that.

If he gets a chance this week, then he needs to grasp it with both hands and hold on tight. He hasn't exactly been starring at Willi, but we do kinow that players lift when the standards are higher in AFL. Look at Grant, he wasn't the best player at Willi, but showed glimpses of what we are seeing now. Wood does have some dash which is currently missing at the minute.

Doc26
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM

I don't see it as a lack of skill with Mitch, it's lack of movement leaving him short of making a contest. No argument with me on Addison although whilst he's in the 22 I still hold out some hope of being picked up as a very mature age rookie ;)

Mofra
10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, Stack can't pick the ball up and Eagleton can't kick any more...
Given he is meant to play a crumbing type role, that is my biggest concern in the current side.
It was more of a concern last week than his pulling out of contests.

bornadog
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Given he is meant to play a crumbing type role, that is my biggest concern in the current side.
It was more of a concern last week than his pulling out of contests.

Its funny, pull out of one contest and you get a reputation. :eek:

I still can't forget when McMahon shit himself when Saverio Rocca was bearing down on him.

LongWait
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm with Joe. Lake was seriously dangerous closer to goal.

I'm certain that Lake played the high forward role, although in doing this he also spent quite a lot of time close to goal (as you would expect.) The stoppage set-up usually had Hall starting closer to the goals with Lake further out and often running back towards the goals. Hall starts deep and leads up the ground. It worked extremely well and had Collingwood in an absolute panic for a quarter and a half.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2010, 11:41 AM

I'm all for using Griffen as a defender against certain sides (Collingwood being one when the other match ups are right) but not this week.

Jasper
10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
My preference:

Outs: Hahn, Higgins, Addison and Stack
In: Everitt, Wood, Reid and Murphy (if fit, if not then Addison stays as a defensive forward, I don't want to see Addison 'rebounding' out of defence)

Match Committee (on their form)

Out: Stack (for short steps) and Higgins
In: Everitt and Murphy (if fit, if not then Wood)

Would like to see Bulldogs play tempo footy, slow when Lake back, then go for broke when he shifts forward, don't know if that can be done. Can see Lake being Adam Hunter like from here on - but bigger and better at both ends...just maybe not too much in the Brissie game.

Mofra
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Pull out at least twice in the one game, after struggling with intensity the entire time you've been on the list, is a concern for more than just reputation.

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Stack needs to go, his efforts at the contest were horrible against Collingwood, and he has been down for a few weeks now imo and Hahn need some touch in the twos as well.

Out - Higgins, Stack, Hahn
In - Murphy, Everitt, Wood

I would make more changes but i just dont think we have the players available for selection to bring in.

A few other players would be put on notice Addison, Eagleton and Moles

G-Mo77
10-06-2010, 01:18 PM

I still can't forget when McMahon shit himself when Saverio Rocca was bearing down on him.

I know what you're saying but it happened more than once and not just in this game. The guy is still very young and lean so those things will come over time. When those particular contests hurt your team the player involved needs to be held responsible for those actions. I'd be very surprised to see Stack line up Sunday, if he is lets hope he has had the incidents pointed out to him and knows whats required of him next time.

Greystache
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
In- Everitt, Reid, Wood, Murphy

Out- Higgins

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Is Reid really playing? I would be so happy if he is. He deserves a shot at the big time.
________
ARIZONA MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://arizona.dispensaries.org/)

G-Mo77
10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Is Reid really playing? I would be so happy if he is. He deserves a shot at the big time.

Named on the From bench. I honestly doubt he'll be back this week.

w3design
11-06-2010, 09:36 AM

I guess that was the point though, Sockeye. The INS can only be worth it if they've displayed they can be better than the OUTS through their form at Willy. Those calling for Reid to come immediately back into the side after an injury interrupted year and a couple of middling games for Williamstown, thinking he'll be better than players like Hahn or Addison are deluded. This is no slight on Reid, by the way, though he needs to improve his disposal if he can.

I hope these younger players do improve but I think the cupboard is bare in terms of depth, this has been exposed with our very patchy form this year.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I hope these younger players do improve but I think the cupboard is bare in terms of depth, this has been exposed with our very patchy form this year.

I disagree, i think Reid is an extremely exciting player and showed a lot when he got a game last year. We simply have had a lot of injuries to similar type of player (tough mids - ward, reid, moles ) (forwardline options - johnson, aker, murphy, higgins) which has been bad luck more than anything else, but i dont think the cupboard is bare.

edit - im not saying reid should play this week though.