PDA

View Full Version : The People Have Spoken

LostDog
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Has anyone seen the Bulldogs facebook wall, lots of unhappy supporters

AndrewP6
06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Not surprised, they're a vicious bunch...:)

SonofScray
06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I opened the flood gates I think. Very frustrated.

Go Bulldogs Go
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
There's a lot of angry people over there, the language is disgraceful, they should be more ashamed of themselves than they are of the players efforts today.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah, let's encourage the team, not bash them. What's the point? Got to move on and focus on next week now. I hate Angry supporters who rant about BS at the game. OUR supporters. With some changes, and a new attitude, we have the cattle to go all the way. Glass half full Dogs

Grantysghost
06-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah, let's encourage the team, not bash them. What's the point? Got to move on and focus on next week now. I hate Angry supporters who rant about BS at the game. OUR supporters. With some changes, and a new attitude, we have the cattle to go all the way. Glass half full Dogs

And i guarantee most of these "supporters" didn't get out and support the team at the game, I reckon of the 40,000 about 2,000 were doggies supporters. You have to be tough as a doggies supporter, grin and bear it (we're all dissapointed), and move on to next week. Bring on the Lions!

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Agreed, there wasn't a lot of support vocally at the game tonight. That was until the dogs got close in the last quarter and the Pies supporters were all getting a bit worried!!

AndrewP6
07-06-2010, 01:00 AM
And i guarantee most of these "supporters" didn't get out and support the team at the game, I reckon of the 40,000 about 2,000 were doggies supporters. You have to be tough as a doggies supporter, grin and bear it (we're all dissapointed), and move on to next week. Bring on the Lions!

Just on the crowd, I thought for sure there'd be more than 40 thousand there. I thought for sure it'd be 50 plus...thank god it wasn't!

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 01:11 AM
I too hate negative supporters. My mates where all up and ready to leave at half time. I said it last week and I'll say it again this week. We can't lose from here on out.

Dry Rot
07-06-2010, 01:35 AM
There's a lot of angry people over there, the language is disgraceful, they should be more ashamed of themselves than they are of the players efforts today.

What do you expect on Facebook?

It's hardly a MENSA convention.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 01:37 AM
whats so wrong with being angry and dissapointed and feeling let down by this team?
everyone has the right to express those emotions or feelings anyway they want.

This side is not getting the best out of themselves and are letting a very good oppurtunity slip through thier fingers with every insipid and half-hearted effort.
For me personally if we lose, we lose....so be it, but what i can't stomach and what makes furious is when we lose through a lack of effort and commitment...IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! and as a paid up member and loyal supporter of 15 years i have every right to voice my displeasure as does everyone else.

I will still always follow this team and have massive love for the red, white and blue but if i feel like they deserve a bake..then i will give them one. Now how does that make me or any supporter who has a go at the team a fairweather supporter?

The Coon Dog
07-06-2010, 09:00 AM
whats so wrong with being angry and dissapointed and feeling let down by this team?

This side is not getting the best out of themselves and are letting a very good oppurtunity slip through thier fingers with every insipid and half-hearted effort.
For me personally if we lose, we lose....so be it, but what i can't stomach and what makes furious is when we lose through a lack of effort and commitment...IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH! and as a paid up member and loyal supporter of 15 years i have every right to voice my displeasure as does everyone else.

I will still always follow this team and have massive love for the red, white and blue but if i feel like they deserve a bake..then i will give them one. Now how does that make me or any supporter who has a go at the team a fairweather supporter?

No, not at all, but I think it's how you do it that's the issue for me.

If you say we didn't play to the best of our ability, such & such let us down, failed to man up, was slow & second to the ball, shouldn't have played if he was injured etc... I don't have a problem, but when someone posts a one liner along the lines of such & such is shit & if he plays next week I'm not renewing my membership, then that's where I get annoyed.

Curly5
07-06-2010, 01:36 PM

How will you be after 50 years? Just ask me. Everyone gets emotional, especially when we expect/hope for so much more. Venting is normal after a loss, but keep a bit of perspective. Wars are being fought and people have plenty of more urgent problems, so get it out and get it over with. A win will put a whole new smile on our faces.

FWIW it was a bad move to put up a Facebook page. Facebook is a scourge and attracts the wrong sort of people, guaranteed anonymity and no moderation. The club shouldn't have lowered itself.

The Pie Man
07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
How will you be after 50 years? Just ask me. Everyone gets emotional, especially when we expect/hope for so much more. Venting is normal after a loss, but keep a bit of perspective. Wars are being fought and people have plenty of more urgent problems, so get it out and get it over with. A win will put a whole new smile on our faces.

FWIW it was a bad move to put up a Facebook page. Facebook is a scourge and attracts the wrong sort of people, guaranteed anonymity and no moderation. The club shouldn't have lowered itself.

That might be one of those seemed good at the time ideas - it does attract some garbage. I joined, tried following some posts in the first few days and gave up due to the rubbish.

Don't blame them for trying

Mantis
07-06-2010, 02:10 PM

It's better that they carry on like pork chops on FB than find out about WOOF and do the same here.

DOG GOD
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I think its just frustrated supporters letting off some steam. Yes i agree that some get carried away, but thats what PASSIONATE fans can do. Not all, but some. Fbook is only a small minority of supporters, and hopefully if we win over bris this week then some of those posters will see things thru different eyes :)

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm sorry, but this is the mentality that has kept us flag-less for 56 years.

I bitch and moan all I like when walking out the gate, because I'll still be there for them 100% next week. All I've heard from Eade and co. is how even the competition is, and about how the players aren't doing what he asks of them. He places the blame squarely on the players. This lack of accountability and leadership is permeating through the ranks, and showing in our lack of onfield leadership.

I hate to bag the coaching staff, but the mental state of the playing group is their domain, their responsibility, and they need to accept responsibility for whatever it is that's going on. Where's the transparency? How about keeping your supporters informed? All we are left with is the overarching impression that they don't have the first clue why we're not performing, and that's a dangerous idea indeed.

We need somebody to stand up, and say, "I, personally, am going to lift this team". Johnno is the man to get this started on the field, and we should have enough leaders behind him to keep it rolling, but it should really begin with Rocket. That's what he's paid for.

mjp
07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I think its just frustrated supporters letting off some steam.

There is no disappointment without expectation - the club set supporters expectations very, very high this year (all the talk has been about winning the flag) - and these kind of reactions are to be expected.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Latest Facebook status;

Western Bulldogs: We will no longer ignore fans using abusive/inappropriate language here. You are well within your rights to be frustrated but there is no excuse for certain peoples language. Come on we are better than that, let ALL fans of ALL ages be able to come here to express their thoughts.
Remember say what you like but keep it ...clean...really hope we don't have to block anyone

Is it just me or is the first line not make sense compared to the last? "We wont ignore you if you abuse." and "Say what you like but keep it clean"? :confused:

GVGjr
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM

I'm pretty happy that the club did start the FB page because it will give them some first hand exposure on how fans react after a loss. I think discussion forums like this one are on occasions painted in an unfair light and now the club might get an appreciation of the work they need to do to keep it as a family site. Some of the language I read yesterday was pretty poor.

GVGjr
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Latest Facebook status;

Western Bulldogs: We will no longer ignore fans using abusive/inappropriate language here. You are well within your rights to be frustrated but there is no excuse for certain peoples language. Come on we are better than that, let ALL fans of ALL ages be able to come here to express their thoughts.
Remember say what you like but keep it ...clean...really hope we don't have to block anyone

Is it just me or is the first line not make sense compared to the last? "We wont ignore you if you abuse." and "Say what you like but keep it clean"? :confused:

My interpretation of what they are saying is for people contributing to the FB site need to behave like they have to in a normal professional working environment.
Pretty easy thing to do really but they will end up having to block some people who will no doubt take the challenge of seeing how much they can get away with.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
My interpretation of what they are saying is for people contributing to the FB site need to behave like they have to in a normal professional working environment.
Pretty easy thing to do really but they will end up having to block some people who will no doubt take the challenge of seeing how much they can get away with.

Yeah thats what I was taking from it..they would expect some good and some bad comments when they are posting statuses after a loss, supporters are frustrated and need to vent somewhere, Facebook is definitely an online venting reciever - plenty of statuses you read from your 'Facebook Friends' would fall in the 'whining/venting' category

boydogs
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM

By 'no longer ignore' they mean they won't allow it to continue any longer, in ignoring the fact that the language is abusive - not that they won't ignore as in block people who are abusive

Grantysghost
07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry, but this is the mentality that has kept us flag-less for 56 years.

I bitch and moan all I like when walking out the gate, because I'll still be there for them 100% next week. All I've heard from Eade and co. is how even the competition is, and about how the players aren't doing what he asks of them. He places the blame squarely on the players. This lack of accountability and leadership is permeating through the ranks, and showing in our lack of onfield leadership.

I hate to bag the coaching staff, but the mental state of the playing group is their domain, their responsibility, and they need to accept responsibility for whatever it is that's going on. Where's the transparency? How about keeping your supporters informed? All we are left with is the overarching impression that they don't have the first clue why we're not performing, and that's a dangerous idea indeed.

We need somebody to stand up, and say, "I, personally, am going to lift this team". Johnno is the man to get this started on the field, and we should have enough leaders behind him to keep it rolling, but it should really begin with Rocket. That's what he's paid for.

If your inferring to accepting mediocrity as a reason for failure, possibly, however thats not my mentality. Collingwood are a good side, so are we. We lost. Next week i think we'll win... I will be keen to see if said destructive mentality (of being positive) is shared by others when we do. :rolleyes:

The Adelaide Connection
08-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Really that was it?

Ok I am going to invite a fair bit of heat here, but owing to moronic user error I accidentally programmed Fox 3HD (which I don't have) instead of Fox 3 via my iphone and therefore had no recording of the game till tonight.

After reading all the posts and fallout last night I thought I was a bit mad for still wanting to watch it and, maybe because I was expecting it to be tragic, I have gotta say that when I did watch it tonight I really didn't think it was as bad as most are suggesting.

Before you all question my credibility and shift your angst to me, I think we all should remember that we are in shite form, we were playing a top two team in pretty much top form, and we lost a very good player very early (yeah he came back on but he had next to no impact). Not excuses, but things to consider regardless. Anyone betting with their head would have their money on the pies (probably by a hefty margin too). So, what were we honestly expecting?

Our skills were crap. We look dysfunctional at times. We only put in one quarter. But even after all of that we got beat by 10 points? I'll take it. After all look at what injuries and poor form has done to Adelaide...I think we are in slightly better shape.

We are one win behind where we were last year. The key thing is that we have to learn from our mistakes and, if the Reids and Woods are truly ready to come in, then the coaching staff need to acknowledge that a few blokes need to do a Minson and rediscover some form in the VFL.

There is work to be done, but sheesh there is a long way to go. Relax people.

SonofScray
08-06-2010, 09:25 AM
We are one win behind where we were last year. The key thing is that we have to learn from our mistakes and, if the Reids and Woods are truly ready to come in, then the coaching staff need to acknowledge that a few blokes need to do a Minson and rediscover some form in the VFL.

That is the context I am trying frame what I am seeing within. What is making it hard is the clock, you can only say "its early days" and we're not that far behind where we should be for so long. Cop a bad loss one week, flu runs through the squad the next and the season is just about finished for us now.

BUT!

I did watch the replay, and saw a glimmer here or there in every stanza and have just the smallest inkling that things will come good. The coaching has been very different, and maybe the defensive focus has had too strong an impact on the group; they believe in this sideways possession, slow football too much. The attack we all want to see in their minds got them nowhere, the message has changed and now they won't do it in case they stuff up.

I think the penny will drop early enough to correct the way we are headed. I hope.

Curly5
08-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Might be a help if we could rise above 13th for scoring from centre clearances.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95866/default.aspx

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 10:39 AM
If your inferring to accepting mediocrity as a reason for failure, possibly, however thats not my mentality. Collingwood are a good side, so are we. We lost. Next week i think we'll win... I will be keen to see if said destructive mentality (of being positive) is shared by others when we do. :rolleyes:

I wasn't having a crack at you directly mate, and I probably should have said that a bit clearer. I'm not saying let's tear up memberships, I'm just saying no pats on the back. Let 'em know you're upset, let 'em know you expect better effort (losing to a top team is acceptable, not putting in the effort is not) from a team wearing the sacred red, white and blue.

Really that was it?

Ok I am going to invite a fair bit of heat here, but owing to moronic user error I accidentally programmed Fox 3HD (which I don't have) instead of Fox 3 via my iphone and therefore had no recording of the game till tonight.

After reading all the posts and fallout last night I thought I was a bit mad for still wanting to watch it and, maybe because I was expecting it to be tragic, I have gotta say that when I did watch it tonight I really didn't think it was as bad as most are suggesting.

Before you all question my credibility and shift your angst to me, I think we all should remember that we are in shite form, we were playing a top two team in pretty much top form, and we lost a very good player very early (yeah he came back on but he had next to no impact). Not excuses, but things to consider regardless. Anyone betting with their head would have their money on the pies (probably by a hefty margin too). So, what were we honestly expecting?

Our skills were crap. We look dysfunctional at times. We only put in one quarter. But even after all of that we got beat by 10 points? I'll take it. After all look at what injuries and poor form has done to Adelaide...I think we are in slightly better shape.

Not really. Last year we found ourselves in the unenviable position of having to win the last three games against top opposition to secure a spot in the top four, and yes, we won all 3 and it was grand, but i'd rather sew the spot up than leave it to luck.

Might be a help if we could rise above 13th for scoring from centre clearances.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95866/default.aspx

Absolutely. We are incredibly predictable coming out of the centre. You need only have a quick glance over your shoulder to see where the Big Baz is, and defend that line of attack.

Mantis
08-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Absolutely. We are incredibly predictable coming out of the centre. You need only have a quick glance over your shoulder to see where the Big Baz is, and defend that line of attack.

Is that due to our game plan or due to the personnel (or lack there of) we have inside 50?

AndrewP6
02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
BUMP.

Along with the usual assortment of mindless drivel, the WB Facebook page now has pics from our games to date - most games I think, and there are some really good pics.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 03:09 AM
And they're at it again. I got stuck into some Facebookers tonight, even as p***ed off as I am. Two in particular were going right off about the constant disappointment, and the usual "We deserve a premiership" and "I'm not renewing my membership" garbage. I couldn't hold back. Can't wait for the reprisals!

G-Mo77
03-07-2010, 03:13 AM
"I'm not renewing my membership" garbage. I couldn't hold back.

I don't blame you. I hate those supporters and as much as the club values them I wish they would f off and support someone else. The whole holding the club at ransom line wears very thin with me too!

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 03:14 AM
I don't blame you. I hate those supporters and as much as the club values them I wish they would f off and support someone else. The whole holding the club at ransom line wears very thin with me too!

I did advise that there are two new teams coming in that are looking for members. :)

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 03:31 AM
When I saw this thread bumped I just knew what to expect. Andrew P6 don't even waste your time looking at that facebook page. Does the club seriously think it will add to our membership numbers or benefit the club in anyway? Facebook, Twitter, they're just fads. Sometimes it's better not to go chasing every micro-trend in the pop culture.

AndrewP6
03-07-2010, 03:40 AM
When I saw this thread bumped I just knew what to expect. Andrew P6 don't even waste your time looking at that facebook page. Does the club seriously think it will add to our membership numbers or benefit the club in anyway? Facebook, Twitter, they're just fads. Sometimes it's better not to go chasing every micro-trend in the pop culture.

Good points... their game pics are good though! :-)

LostDoggy
03-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Good points... their game pics are good though! :-)

True :) Yeah look I was probably ranting a bit, it can be a useful tool I guess I just don't think it's set up right.

AndrewP6
06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm in a feud of sorts with a couple of 'people' at the moment... kind of funny, really.

AndrewP6
20-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Update: The feud is off (sort of) - I'm claiming the win on points, the club admins told the others to cease and desist...

However, I looked today, and about four people are not going to renew memberships if we don't play Aker soon! :D :D :D A great laugh, really!

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 09:58 PM

If used correctly, like Essendon do, social media can help a club immensely, it lets them get closer to their fans. For example, I've had a few back-and-forths with Johnno on Twitter. This kind of relationship building with the people who give you your cash is indispensable.

I would like to see the Doggies utilise it better though, because at the moment you're right, their current social media strategy is just to have a page for the sake of it and this won't add any real value or benefit whatsoever.

On the ferals posting, that's just part-and-parcel of our fan base, isn't it? I'm sure Collingwood deal with the same problems, as do Essendon at the moment.

As I said, Essendon is really a shining light for the AFL in general and clubs in particular on how to utilise social media in a sporting organisation. They do everything right, and you can tell they've spent the money (because they have it to spend) on professional help in this area.

Specific example: An Essendon fan started a very popular Twitter hashtag to honour Fletcher's longevity in the AFL — #irememberwhenfletchwasyoung — and had the Essendon Football Club trending locally on Twitter, raising the profile of the club, it's website and therefore it's sponsors (who advertise on that website). And they didn't have to do a bloody thing.

Maybe one day, my dream will come true and I'll be working for the Dogs on their website. Until then, I think they're on the right track and the abuse on their Facebook page is worth putting up with just for the connectivity it gives them with their fans.

AndrewP6
20-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Hilarious... one post has this impassioned plea "well sureley the lure of that last day in december will make them realise aker is so important not sure how stack and josh hill will cope in finals"... :D :D :D

I replied with "I think you mean "last Saturday in September". The other one is New Year's Eve. Tempting, yes, but they'll all be on holidays then!"

:D

LostDoggy
20-07-2010, 10:09 PM
If used correctly, like Essendon do, social media can help a club immensely, it lets them get closer to their fans. For example, I've had a few back-and-forths with Johnno on Twitter. This kind of relationship building with the people who give you your cash is indispensable.

Cooney is pretty good on Twitter too and seems like a real nice guy, the way he chats with fans and gets back to them, you should follow him if you aren't already.

Have you ever contacted the club BAS with any input you might have re: their various social media pages?

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Cooney is pretty good on Twitter too and seems like a real nice guy, the way he chats with fans and gets back to them, you should follow him if you aren't already.

Have you ever contacted the club BAS with any input you might have re: their various social media pages?

Nah, but wouldn't mind getting a seat at the right table with the right person for a chat. :)

firstdogonthemoon
21-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Adam is on twitter? Where?

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Hilarious... one post has this impassioned plea "well sureley the lure of that last day in december will make them realise aker is so important not sure how stack and josh hill will cope in finals"... :D :D :D

I replied with "I think you mean "last Saturday in September". The other one is New Year's Eve. Tempting, yes, but they'll all be on holidays then!"

:D

I'd steer clear of Facebook tonight if I was you mate. It's gonna get ugly.:(

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Justin Martinez
Anyone thinking of taking legal action? Surely there is something we can do. The club hasn't acted in the supporters best interests! Don't our memberships matter anymore? Are we just a number to them?
10 minutes ago · Comment · LikeUnlike · View feedback (1)Hide feedback (1) · Flag
Karen Douglas
Karen Douglas
Well said Justin. I am really starting to wonder what the hell is going on

just wow

EasternWest
21-07-2010, 08:22 PM
just wow

Nope. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Seems rational, thought out and fair minded.

LostDoggy
21-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Nope. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Seems rational, thought out and fair minded.

Some other flog was talking about how many members changed to the dogs this year, that they should demand money back if we don't win, and wants the support of 1000 members so that he can challenge the board...

ReLoad
21-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Throw out the people who have turned the club around over a 30 something year old freak show...... yeah right.

Perhaps instead of that kind of vitriole they could face up to Barry Hall and ask him what he thinks?

'Nuff said.

AndrewP6
21-07-2010, 10:44 PM
just wow

He's one I got into a barney with after the Hawks game...

Desipura
22-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I want nothing more than the 22 players on Sunday to come away with a win and come off the ground " arm in arm" with the coach, Committee as a symbol of how united we are.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I want nothing more than the 22 players on Sunday to come away with a win and come off the ground " arm in arm" with the coach, Committee as a symbol of how united we are.

That's what we've all wanted from day one. If it takes something like this to galvanize a group then I have great fears about just how together we really are.

Fact of the matter remains that we continually fail on the big stage and when tested, so where is the leadership when it matters the most??

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Basically the tribe has spoken, Aker you have to go (RIP). Now it's time for the leadership group, and the rest of the players, to walk the walk, and not just talk the talk. Show that the Carlton game is how we're going to play from now on - 4 quarters of rugged, hard footy, with exquisite skills, and lots of goals :D

Sedat
22-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Fact of the matter remains that we continually fail on the big stage and when tested, so where is the leadership when it matters the most??
One of our greatest performances on the big stage in recent seasons was the 2009 PF, and the one bloke who was recruited to the club for the very reason to make an impact in finals went completely missing. Unfortunately Aker failed on the big stage for us, every bit as much as some of our other players have done in the past. Fact is that Aker had very little impact in the 6 finals he played for us, so whilst your point about our failure to handle the spotlight is valid, it has to include Aker.

EasternWest
22-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Know how I know you're gay?

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/the_40_year_old_virgin/_group_photos/paul_rudd12.jpg

I like the idea of presenting a united front, but that's cringe worthy.

It makes me think of the Storm doing their slow purposeful walk across the oval in a tight huddle after the salary cap issue came to light. What was worse is the ones being showered with the "extras" were all included in the group. At least we got rid of the distraction in our group.

United front, yes. Linked arms, no.

I'll take smashing Freo as a sign of our unity.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 01:34 PM

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/the_40_year_old_virgin/_group_photos/paul_rudd12.jpg

I like the idea of presenting a united front, but that's cringe worthy.

It makes me think of the Storm doing their slow purposeful walk across the oval in a tight huddle after the salary cap issue came to light. What was worse is the ones being showered with the "extras" were all included in the group. At least we got rid of the distraction in our group.

United front, yes. Linked arms, no.

I'll take smashing Freo as a sign of our unity.

Haha.. ^^ This.

Desipura
22-07-2010, 02:44 PM
You stick to idolising DFA, alot of credibility there.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 03:18 PM
One of our greatest performances on the big stage in recent seasons was the 2009 PF, and the one bloke who was recruited to the club for the very reason to make an impact in finals went completely missing. Unfortunately Aker failed on the big stage for us, every bit as much as some of our other players have done in the past. Fact is that Aker had very little impact in the 6 finals he played for us, so whilst your point about our failure to handle the spotlight is valid, it has to include Aker.

We also recruited him to raise our profile, media attention, dollars, membership, etc. However, this is not my gripe.

My gripe had more to do with the issue of leadership. We seem to be a wonderful team of leaders behind closed doors and somehow when the bright lights shine, only a few of can attest to leading by example on the field, also.

We appear to be quite a fragile bunch and god help us if it takes something like this to help galvanise a group of players.

It's not what people say but what they do that interests me. Our actions on the field are in direct contrast to our so called hard stance off the field, we look fragile and unable to deal with a bit of heat. What happens when Geelong throws eveything bar the kitchen sink at us come finals time??

I watch on hoping that we know exactly what we are doing, from where I'm sitting it appears not to be the case.

Ghost Dog
22-07-2010, 03:27 PM
We also recruited him to raise our profile, media attention, dollars, membership, etc. However, this is not my gripe.

It's not what people say but what they do that interests me. Our actions on the field are in direct contrast to our so called hard stance off the field, we look fragile and unable to deal with a bit of heat. What happens when Geelong throws eveything bar the kitchen sink at us come finals time??

I watch on hoping that we know exactly what we are doing, from where I'm sitting it appears not to be the case.

See your point. But would you say this about Barry? He looks anything but fragile.
Maybe after this week we will see a bit of what you are asking for on the field. Let's hope so.

Scraggers
22-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I joined the Western Bulldogs Facebook page because it was touted as being an official page straight from the Western Bulldogs.

I took great pleasure in clicking the 'unlike' button last night ... :mad:

I am sick of all the swearing, social bullying and inane vitriol that is on the page. This is 'stock standard' for Facebook, but I expected better if this was an official Bulldog page.

Greystache
22-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree with you Tama.

Aker failed to deliver on the big stage for us, and I had no issue with the club sacking him if they felt he was too big a distraction, my problem is that some of the players in the leadership group that are taking this hard line stance and demanding so much of the playing group are the very same players who let us down time and time again in big finals- ie Johnson, Murphy, and Gia

I am really starting to think some of the leadership group are trying compensate off field for the lack of leadership they provide when the team needs it most on field. This September is possibly their last chance to finally deliver and if they go missing again the finger should be pointed squarely at them and what they stand for.

Greystache
22-07-2010, 04:34 PM
See your point. But would you say this about Barry? He looks anything but fragile.
Maybe after this week we will see a bit of what you are asking for on the field. Let's hope so.

Barry was recruited as an old man who'd already achieved the ultimate to hopefully be the icing on the cake, if he's our only example of a player who's not fragile under pressure then we were in worse shape than in thought!

Mantis
22-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Aker failed to deliver on the big stage for us, and I had no issue with the club sacking him if they felt he was too big a distraction, my problem is that some of the players in the leadership group that are taking this hard line stance and demanding so much of the playing group are the very same players who let us down time and time again in big finals- ie Johnson, Murphy, and Gia

I am really starting to think some of the leadership group are trying compensate off field for the lack of leadership they provide when the team needs it most on field. This September is possibly their last chance to finally deliver and if they go missing again the finger should be pointed squarely at them and what they stand for.

I think that this is a reasonable stance to take.

The pressure will be on them to lead the way over the coming months, hopefully they can.

LostDoggy
22-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with you Tama.

Exactly the point I am trying to get across. It's time for the leadership to be transfered onto the park, If this happens you'll find that decisions like yesterday's would be far easier to swallow and less likely to split the supporter group.

EasternWest
23-07-2010, 03:11 PM
You stick to idolising DFA, alot of credibility there.

I disagree with your point. You take a shot at me. Seems fair :rolleyes:.

I take it back, I agree with everything you've ever said.

Desipura
25-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I disagree with your point. You take a shot at me. Seems fair :rolleyes:.

I take it back, I agree with everything you've ever said.
Disagreeing with me is one thing, calling me gay is another. Did you like the team circle today?

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Disagreeing with me is one thing, calling me gay is another. Did you like the team circle today?

Hmm. I guess the pop culture reference and included photo was too subtle. It was meant to be humour, no offense intended.

I disagreed with the "walk off arm in arm" thing. I agreed with the unity.

The team song and tight huddle was fantastic, but as I said in my post, a greater sign of unity was our guys playing as a team and smashing Freo.

And FTR, I think Addison is a great kid. But as I'm an adult, I don't idolise any footballers. I just couldn't think of a username.

Desipura
26-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Hmm. I guess the pop culture reference and included photo was too subtle. It was meant to be humour, no offense intended.
I disagreed with the "walk off arm in arm" thing. I agreed with the unity.
And FTR, I think Addison is a great kid. But as I'm an adult, I don't idolise any footballers. I just couldn't think of a username.
Sorry, did not see a smiley.
On DFA, Im glad you do not idolise him, I was starting to question why. :D

EasternWest
26-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Sorry, did not see a smiley.
On DFA, Im glad you do not idolise him, I was starting to question why. :D

No worries ;)!

I have an appreciation for footballers that overcome ability deficiencies with desire and courage. I don't have a problem when people fairly crticise them (or any player for that reason), but I have a big problem when unfair crticism is levelled.

AndrewP6
16-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Over on the Dogs FB page, one poster said Liam Picken's girlfriend's brother died in a car accident...I know, it's hardly a beacon of truth (good old Facebook!), but if true, it's very sad.

LostDoggy
17-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Over on the Dogs FB page, one poster said Liam Picken's girlfriend's brother died in a car accident...I know, it's hardly a beacon of truth (good old Facebook!), but if true, it's very sad.

My cousin Wend1604 did notice that Pickers was wearing a black armband on Saturday night. Could be true. :(