PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Giansiracusa

Rocco Jones
06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
He is a player that polarises fans a lot for and for what it's worth here's my take on him.

Purely as a player I see him as having obvious strengths which are more subtle than his weaknesses. He is clever, can run out the game, normally can find the ball and great with goal assists. His weaknesses are pretty obvious. Can struggle physically in a contest, goes MIA and struggles in big moments. It's been this way pretty much his whole career and it's not going to get better. His strengths and weaknesses mean he is an overall good/good ordinary player. Nothing more, nothing less.

As a leader he goes beyond his own spot in the side and I think it's this that annoys fans most (inculding me). I think he has a touch of Napleon Syndrome with his lack of traditional onfield leadership traits leading him to overcompensate off the field. From what I have seen and heard he seems to over analyse/do it off field, looking for any opportunity to be a strong 'leader' off the field to make up for the lack of it onfield.

Overall I would just like Gia to be a leadership group type rather than the captain in waiting and playing group chairman. I would love for him to be able to just concentrate on his own game more.

Remi Moses
06-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Played the negating role on Shaw to good effect personally should be more in acreative role.I think Boyd will be the next capt. Don't know what anyone else thinks but I reckon Harbrow isn't the right match up for Davis.I'mfinding our selections to be mystifying to be honest!

boydogs
06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm wondering whether this subtle strengths tag is related to the role he is normally forced to play. I think Gia should be in the middle, as he is one of our better ball users when the ball is in his hands

Mantis
06-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm wondering whether this subtle strengths tag is related to the role he is normally forced to play. I think Gia should be in the middle, as he is one of our better ball users when the ball is in his hands

Instead of Cross or Boyd?

boydogs
07-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Instead of Cross or Boyd?

Is there an option C? Eagleton?

Doc26
07-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Played the negating role on Shaw to good effect personally should be more in acreative role.

Shaw was not as damaging as he was in round 1 but with that said his form has been down. From my observation of tonight's game I didn't see how Gia's actions lead to Shaw being negated. He is bludging or at worse he really isn't up to the consistent rigour of AFL at this level. Our very own Ned Braden from the Charlestown Chiefs.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Shaw was not as damaging as he was in round 1 but with that said his form has been down. From my observation of tonight's game I didn't see how Gia's actions lead to Shaw being negated. He is bludging or at worse he really isn't up to the consistent rigour of AFL at this level. Our very own Ned Braden from the Charlestown Chiefs.

Agreed.

The fact that Gia is given a negative role speaks volumes about his form as the creative player he should be. We obviously can't drop him at the moment until we get a few players back, but when you have Gia giving us nothing and Hahn having to be shifted to defence because he can't get involved - you know you're in trouble.

There has to be changes in structure and personnel. Whether that's playing Everitt, Roughead or Williams as a deeper forward - that's something that needs to be worked out. We aren't going to improve with our current set-up, the same one that's failed for the past two and a bit years.

Gia > Midfield, Hahn > VFL.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Nothing really to do with this thread, but when is someone in charge at Woof going to fix the clock? It is still on daylight savings time, heaven forbid!!

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Defo never play Harbrow on Davis. Move him in forward line against Collingwood and put anyone on Davis other then Harbrow. Hahn seemed to do ok in defence from the moments I saw him in there.

And Gia could've been an elite player if he wasn't so damn slow.

Dry Rot
07-06-2010, 02:09 AM
As an aside, wasn't Geelong's Chapman roughly the same draft pick as Gia in the same year?

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Pick 31: Paul Chapman
Pick 32: Daniel Giansiracusa
Pick 43: Lindsay Gilbee :P

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 05:00 AM
but when you have Gia giving us nothing and Hahn having to be shifted to defence because he can't get involved - you know you're in trouble.

Couldn't agree more. Gia gave us nothing (again) but at least he can play in a few positions; Rocket is running out of places on the field to hide Hahn's weaknesses.

How ridiculous was it seeing Hahn on Brown? A lump next to a moose. At one stage they had a race to the ball and I aged three years before they got there.

Mofra
07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Couldn't agree more. Gia gave us nothing (again) but at least he can play in a few positions; Rocket is running out of places on the field to hide Hahn's weaknesses.
There were planty of players who had worse games than Gia yesterday.
He played his role, unfortunately the role played doesn't really play to Gia's strengths.

Grantysghost
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
He played his role, unfortunately the role played doesn't really play to Gia's strengths.

My understanding of a defensive "forward" when your team has the ball is that they get into dangerous positions on the rebound.
I would have thought Gia didn't play his role very well as i dont remember him taking too many marks inside forward 50 when the game was there to be won. I guess thats what you mean by not playing to his strengths, doesn't have the pace to get dangerous.
Harry O'Brien is the inform running defender for them also, so that whole strategy was wrong from the coaches i think...Geez he has destroyed us both games this year.

I dont like the idea of dropping Gia, he hasn't been our worst. Hahn on the otherhand ... The coaches totally destroyed his remaining shreds of confidence chucking him down back. They dropped the ball at selection and tried to band aid it during the game. Has to be at Willy this week.

Cyberdoggie
07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Is there an option C? Eagleton?

Eagleton should be option Z

Option C should be Ward and Reid.
Can't come back soon enough for me. :mad:

Cyberdoggie
07-06-2010, 03:52 PM

How many would you name?

Only Stack, Grant, Minson, Higgins, Williams and Morris and less possesions than he did.
Grant did a few things with the opportunities he had, and he lifted in the last.
Stack definately was out of his depth.
I thought Hill did 3-4 good little things for the night, and then nothing as usual.
Higgins was injured.
Minson kicked a few goals at least and rucked well in the last.
Even Mitch Hahn and Addison who were average and poor saw more football than Gia.

In my opinion there were 2 players that were probably worse than Gia.

I'm sure the next game we will easy take care of Brisbane and Gia will pop up for a cameo again and all will be forgotten until the next big game we lose.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
How ridiculous was it seeing Hahn on Brown? A lump next to a moose. At one stage they had a race to the ball and I aged three years before they got there.

I'm sorry but that's one of the funniest things i've read in a while. WD :D

Cyberdoggie
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Defo never play Harbrow on Davis. Move him in forward line against Collingwood and put anyone on Davis other then Harbrow. Hahn seemed to do ok in defence from the moments I saw him in there.

And Gia could've been an elite player if he wasn't so damn slow.

Probably didn't help having his knee reconstructed twice from memory.

Mantis
07-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Probably didn't help having his knee reconstructed twice from memory.

Pace has never been an asset of Gia's even before his knee problems (he has never had a reco either)

boydogs
07-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Eagleton should be option Z

Option C should be Ward and Reid.
Can't come back soon enough for me. :mad:

I was saying that Gia should move into the middle at the expense of Eagleton ;)
I'm looking forward to Ward and Reid in the side too

LostDoggy
06-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Bump*

No doubt Gia is a very important player, when his up and going it usually results in a win.

How do you purpose we get him into the game this week? He is going to cop another tag by Rhys Shaw who absolutely blanketed him last game against the Swans.

Take him right to the Goal Square - I'm not so sure about this, Shaw is far to quick and we get a fist in on pretty much every lead Gia attempts.

Play a midfield role - I like this option, Shaw will probably still go with him in the middle. Gia can use his smarts to lose him in traffic. Boyd / Cross need to block for him and give him the ball at every opportunity. Because there kicking is woeful at the moment.

Send him to the backline - Don't like this idea, Shaw will be too quick and they would most defiantely send Shaw to FF and expose Gia on the lead.

Or last of all, Don't play him at all - :p

Doc26
06-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Bump*

No doubt Gia is a very important player, when his up and going it usually results in a win.

How do you purpose we get him into the game this week? He is going to cop another tag by Rhys Shaw who absolutely blanketed him last game against the Swans.

Take him right to the Goal Square - I'm not so sure about this, Shaw is far to quick and we get a fist in on pretty much every lead Gia attempts.

Play a midfield role - I like this option, Shaw will probably still go with him in the middle. Gia can use his smarts to lose him in traffic. Boyd / Cross need to block for him and give him the ball at every opportunity. Because there kicking is woeful at the moment.

Send him to the backline - Don't like this idea, Shaw will be too quick and they would most defiantely send Shaw to FF and expose Gia on the lead.

It's a good question. Maybe dress him up to look like Alan Didak, it might trick them for a bit. Unfortunately Gia plays better by stealth and when he has a hard tag who can also run it's an awful mix. Come to think of it maybe we should be playing Didak dress ups with half our forward line.

anfo27
06-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Bump*

I like this option as everytime Gia is sat on he is not quick enough to find space and not strong enough to win a one on one contest. First time we played the swans Nick Smith (i think his name is) sat on him and he did nothing and last time shaw beat him easily.

Greystache
06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I'd like to see Gia play in the midfield this week, he's going to struggle up forward against the pace of Shaw and he was the only player on the weekend who had the composure to hit a target. Move Cross out on a wing and make Boyd play a tagging role on McVeigh or even O'Keefe if he goes into the midfield.

Topdog
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Agree with Grey, midfield.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Bump*

Your thoughts on Gia isn't shared by good judges who follow the Club. Gia rarely performs in big games which I think as do many others that he is dispensable as trade bait. Unfortunately there are others also like him who are on the rarely if ever to be dropped list of players.
Our current recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.

Sedat
06-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I'd like to see Gia play in the midfield this week, he's going to struggle up forward against the pace of Shaw and he was the only player on the weekend who had the composure to hit a target. Move Cross out on a wing and make Boyd play a tagging role on McVeigh or even O'Keefe if he goes into the midfield.
Good luck with that one Greystache.

Agree that Gia's best value would be in the midfield this week.

Remi Moses
06-09-2010, 06:03 PM
How long have we been saying he needs to stand up in big games!
Throw him in the middle

stefoid
06-09-2010, 06:07 PM
1 goal, 3 score assists, 3 score involvements.

Only griffen did better.

Considering the ball spent a large amount of time shuffling between out kickins and collingwood points/rushed behinds, and when if did make it up our end the delivery was shizen, how exactly did you expect any of our forwards to go?

Guido is smart and a good user of the ball and 'dangerous forward tagger' is a good role for him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Your thoughts on Gia isn't shared by good judges who follow the Club. Gia rarely performs in big games which I think as do many others that he is dispensable as trade bait. Unfortunately there are others also like him who are on the rarely if ever to be dropped list of players.
Our current recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.

If that's the abiding thoughts of the Good Judges who follow the club, then I'd question whether they are good judges.
Gia does alot of things that the 'Good judges' seemingly overlook. Gia does not shirk a contest, he always looks to sheppard for his teammates, and regularly sacrifices his own game for the team cause. He may've been quiet early on against Collingwood however this was also at the expense of his direct opponent having an influence. Gia is one of the few who follows his coaches orders.
This is not to say Gia has not missed opportunities in big games, however I don't see people caning Judd for missing a key opportunity to get Carlton back on level pegging late in the game yesterday with a relatively easy shot on goal.

bornadog
06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
If that's the abiding thoughts of the Good Judges who follow the club, then I'd question whether they are good judges.
Gia does alot of things that the 'Good judges' seemingly overlook. Gia does not shirk a contest, he always looks to sheppard for his teammates, and regularly sacrifices his own game for the team cause. He may've been quiet early on against Collingwood however this was also at the expense of his direct opponent having an influence. Gia is one of the few who follows his coaches orders.
This is not to say Gia has not missed opportunities in big games, however I don't see people caning Judd for missing a key opportunity to get Carlton back on level pegging late in the game yesterday with a relatively easy shot on goal.

I am with you YHF, the next person i hear bag him at a game, seriously:mad: Yes he had a poor first half, but he picked up in the 2nd half and tried his guts out. When he has the ball you can be assured he will do something with it. On Saturday his disposal effieciency was above 70%, one of the best for both sides. He is also still ranked 8th in total goal asists for the AFL, not bad considering there are over 600 players.

Greystache
06-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Good luck with that one Greystache.

Agree that Gia's best value would be in the midfield this week.

Some how I thought you or Mantis might have a thought on that! :D

I doubt he would do it even if it was the match committees instruction to be honest, but the alternative is his direct opponent being best on ground as usual. I said after the Geelong game he should've been dropped back to Willi to think about the defensive side of his game and nothing since has convinced me it would've been wrong.

1eyedog
08-09-2010, 08:02 PM

The only reason Judd had the opportunity to level the scores with those shots was because he single handedly got them back into that position, he was probably absolutely knackered. Any Mike Sheehan did have a go at him, saying that he was a super player for getting them back the contest, but not a great player because he missed those easy goals.

Would be great if Gia could for once make an impact in a big game, let alone single handedly claw us back into the match in a final.

The Judd/Gia analogy you refer to above seems a bit unbalanced.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2010, 08:11 PM
The only reason Judd had the opportunity to level the scores with those shots was because he single handedly got them back into that position, he was probably absolutely knackered. Any Mike Sheehan did have a go at him, saying that he was a super player for getting them back the contest, but not a great player because he missed those easy goals.

Would be great if Gia could for once make an impact in a big game, let alone single handedly claw us back into the match in a final.

The Judd/Gia analogy you refer to above seems a bit unbalanced.

My point is that even great players miss opportunities from time to time, it doesn't mean they're not good enough on the big stage. I'm saying I think Gia is unfairly judged and that the qualities he has are not being recognised fairly.

1eyedog
08-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Okay fair enough. I just wish Gia would get his hands dirty more. If he was prepared to do this I would be prepared to oversee his more obvious deficiencies.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Okay fair enough. I just wish Gia would get his hands dirty more. If he was prepared to do this I would be prepared to oversee his more obvious deficiencies.

Yeah but I don't think it's that clear. He is ranked highly in the leage for goal assists and often not seen by some supporters is his work off the ball like his willingness to follow coaches instructions and sacrifice his own game for the sake of the team tactics (eg not allow his opponent to run free) or his ability to block or sheppard for his teammates.
They may not be the sort of sexy things that get noticed but are nonetheless appreciated by his teammates and the coaching staff.
THis isn't to say that he's beyong criticism at times, but I just don't think Gia's output is the problem.
For me our problem exists higher up the ground, and for the past month at least revolves more around our midfielders and ball carriers in defense- specifically their inability to move the ball or to show consistent accountability to their direct opponent.
When you consider this and the terrible way in which the ball has been delivered into our forward 50, it's no wonder that Gia's stats don't look that good at first glance, and instead we focus on a memorable piece of footage such as Gia getting bumped off the ball by his opponent too easily. Sure as one piece of play it's not good, but I just don't believe that this is indicative of his overall performance or willingness to go hard into a contest.

Flamethrower
08-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Our very own Ned Braden from the Charlestown Chiefs.

:eek:

You mean he is going to strip off with the cup when we win the flag.

I like the idea of the Hansons in the backline though. :D

Doc26
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
:eek:

You mean he is going to strip off with the cup when we win the flag.

Something tells me Gia would be up for it.

I like the idea of the Hansons in the backline though. :D

I hope you don't mean these ones as we have enough already ;)

http://a.imageshack.us/img412/6610/hansonssingersw.jpg

These are the babies we're after, a bit of friggin hardness although the MRP might restrict their influence.

http://a.imageshack.us/img412/1408/hansonsslapshotm.jpg

1eyedog
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah but I don't think it's that clear. He is ranked highly in the leage for goal assists and often not seen by some supporters is his work off the ball like his willingness to follow coaches instructions and sacrifice his own game for the sake of the team tactics (eg not allow his opponent to run free) or his ability to block or sheppard for his teammates.
They may not be the sort of sexy things that get noticed but are nonetheless appreciated by his teammates and the coaching staff.
THis isn't to say that he's beyong criticism at times, but I just don't think Gia's output is the problem.
For me our problem exists higher up the ground, and for the past month at least revolves more around our midfielders and ball carriers in defense- specifically their inability to move the ball or to show consistent accountability to their direct opponent.
When you consider this and the terrible way in which the ball has been delivered into our forward 50, it's no wonder that Gia's stats don't look that good at first glance, and instead we focus on a memorable piece of footage such as Gia getting bumped off the ball by his opponent too easily. Sure as one piece of play it's not good, but I just don't believe that this is indicative of his overall performance or willingness to go hard into a contest.

Once again all of that is reasonable enough. I've just had a look at his 2010 stats and they stand up. He is up 20 tackles a year than any other year (in 2008 he had 70 tackles and he is already up to 90 which is 3.9 a game, whih is reasonable for a forward), he's kicked 31 goals or 1.3 a game and as others here have alluded to he is 8th in the league for score assists. I'm not sure what his contested possession count is but all in all you would have to say he's had a good year. Is he just one of those players who looks lethargic because he lacks pace and does things (albiet clever things at times) in slow motion?

Doc26
08-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Such statistics / averages are meaningless if viewed in isolation to a qualitative assessment; e.g by when and how they are earnt divided by a factor which assesses the damage their opposing player may also be inflicting. There's other more subjective factors which could also be applied such as 'inspirational acts' like Hayes bump on Chapman last week or Riewoldt running Taylor into the ground in the opening quarter etc etc. On Gia's side is his ability to consistently find space, the flipside is what is his direct opponent doing while he's out finding space.

We also have some good flat trackers in our Team which I'm suspecting would also skew their averages.

A deeper qualitative assessment of how our statistics stack up both offensively and defensively at critical moments AND against those we're endeavouring to dethrone in Geelong, St Kilda and Collingwood would be more meaningful when judging a players true output / value.

Although statistics in the AFL have come a long way from the simple days of kicks, marks, handballs, hitouts there is still much to be done in nailing the qualitative and more subjective aspects - although it is coming.

MrMahatma
09-09-2010, 07:11 AM
1 goal, 3 score assists, 3 score involvements.

Only griffen did better.

Considering the ball spent a large amount of time shuffling between out kickins and collingwood points/rushed behinds, and when if did make it up our end the delivery was shizen, how exactly did you expect any of our forwards to go?

Guido is smart and a good user of the ball and 'dangerous forward tagger' is a good role for him.
Interested to know where he was playing when he got these. IIRC he got a few centre clearances in the 3rd(?) hitting up a couple of leads.

The guy is a good/very good mid. Average HFF. IMO

MrMahatma
09-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Double post

Sockeye Salmon
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Interested to know where he was playing when he got these. IIRC he got a few centre clearances in the 3rd(?) hitting up a couple of leads.

The guy is a good/very good mid. Average HFF. IMO

It's much easier to impact a game as a mid than it is as a HFF. I'm talking about the more traditional HFF that Gia plays, not the modern 'high' HF that is basically just an extra mid anyway.

I think he's better value as a HFF, his finishing means he creates goals, even if he's not getting heaps of the ball. Even on Saturday night he didn't get much of it intil he moved up the ground but was still responsible for half of our 8 goals.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Well done to Gia for getting it done on the big stage tonight. Was very important to us tonight.

LostDoggy
11-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Agreed, I thought he played a huge part in the last quarter to get us across the line. He just looked determined.

chef
11-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Yep, stepped up in the second half and lead from the front. Great effort tonight Gia:).

Scorlibo
11-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I have to admit I didn't think he was that great, quite good but in my opinion the effort of Cross, Murphy, Griffen, Picken, Gilbee and Boyd deserves more reverence.

Rance Fan
11-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I have to admit I didn't think he was that great, quite good but in my opinion the effort of Cross, Murphy, Griffen, Picken, Gilbee and Boyd deserves more reverence.

Totally agree!. Gia in the end did his job thou i guess, a small forward kicking a few goals.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2010, 11:57 PM

I thought given that we struggled all night for options up forward beyond Hall, and even more importantly when we needed someone to manufacture a goal Guido managed to slot 3.
No dount the others did the majority of the grunt work in the 2nd half to get us on top, but given the discussion on this thread about Guido's lack of ability to come though in big moments in big games, I thought he showed he's got the metal to do it.
Twice tonight his goals put us in front when we were behind. For the first time in the third quarter with a great snap, and then in the last when he put himself in great position hard on the boundary to receive a hand ball and then run into the goal.

Dry Rot
11-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Totally agree!. Gia in the end did his job thou i guess, a small forward kicking a few goals.

He got the most out of available opportunities - can't ask for more than that.

Raw Toast
12-09-2010, 12:31 AM
He got the most out of available opportunities - can't ask for more than that.

I'd say he did even better than that. His ability to control the ball and put it to advantage when dodgy passes were bouncing into him and he had an opponent on his tail was amazing. And he spent some time tagging McVeigh and did a decent job of that as well.

Unfortunately he didn't nail that set shot in the last and there are still question marks about his set shots. But his ability to manufacture goals for both himself and teamates was first class and one of the key reasons we won tonight.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:13 AM
SEN reported tonight that Daniel Giansiracusa is going to be investigated by the AFL for an alleged offence (dirty tactics) against Swans's ruckman Shane Mumford. Apparently it has something to do with Mumford's knee. Mumford was taken from the ground just before half time with a knee problem so not sure if something happened just before Mumford came off or during the second half but from reports it does sound serious.

From a Sydney fan on BF.
Hopefully he it's nothing, or he is just talking trout like everyone else over there...

KT31
12-09-2010, 01:16 AM
I'd say he did even better than that. His ability to control the ball and put it to advantage when dodgy passes were bouncing into him and he had an opponent on his tail was amazing. And he spent some time tagging McVeigh and did a decent job of that as well.

Unfortunately he didn't nail that set shot in the last and there are still question marks about his set shots. But his ability to manufacture goals for both himself and teamates was first class and one of the key reasons we won tonight.

Agree

bornadog
12-09-2010, 01:18 AM
From a Sydney fan on BF.
Hopefully he it's nothing, or he is just talking trout like everyone else over there...

What rubbish.

Mumfords knee went at a centre bounce when he landed awkwardly.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Gia's game was solid overall, getting on the end of a few and finishing with crucial goals was impressive. Still think if we're going to be a shot next week he needs to be able to get quite a bit more ball because he's such a quality user for us.

Doc26
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Gia's game was solid overall, getting on the end of a few and finishing with crucial goals was impressive. Still think if we're going to be a shot next week he needs to be able to get quite a bit more ball because he's such a quality user for us.

We need four quarters from Gia. His first half was poor. Murphy moving into the forward half helped Gia get into the game in the second half and he managed to find some space from Shaw. How much was his own doing rather than fortuitous is debatable. He needs to lift for us next week.

divvydan
15-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Was watching the game again and noticed after the game that Gia was throwing up. Looked like it was more sports drink spew than anything else but not a great look either way. Hopefully it was from sheer exhaustion than from carrying any illness like those who threw up after the Adelaide game.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Well hopefully we see Gia step up over the next two games and he shows how much the captaincy really means to him. A fantastic opportunity for the new leaders to make a stance.

Greystache
18-09-2010, 11:07 PM
A strong club would delist a proven big final failure, we're looking at making him captain. Probably explains why we're 0-7 in prelim finals!!

LostDoggy
18-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - he needs to spend less time in the solarium, less time checking himself out on the big screen (yes, we see you Gia), and more time going for the hard ball, more time playing consistent football. Stop drifting in and out.

Please MC ... DO NOT MAKE HIM CAPTAIN.

Mofra
18-09-2010, 11:34 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - he needs to spend less time in the solarium, less time checking himself out on the big screen (yes, we see you Gia), and more time going for the hard ball, more time playing consistent football. Stop drifting in and out.
Great post :rolleyes:

Rance Fan
18-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Can we trade him to the Gold Coast?? He'd luv the sun and cameras up there! heheh

becmatty
18-09-2010, 11:57 PM
So fickle. One week you love him, next you want him gone.

Rather than picking off blokes like snipers, focus on what we didn't do as a group. Gia was ordinary tonight, but please people, have some perspective.

What cost us, was a collective effort in the third quarter which saw our intensity and efficiency drop off dramatically. If you are to get to a GF, the TEAM needs to sustain what we delivered in the first half, for an entire game.

Topdog
19-09-2010, 12:06 AM
This is the guy who ran 100m+ to arrive in the goalsquare by himself only to be ignored by Barry? From Barry's miss the Saints went nearly coast to coast to score a goal. A lovely 11 point turnaround.

Mofra
19-09-2010, 12:08 AM
This is the guy who ran 100m+ to arrive in the goalsquare by himself only to be ignored by Barry? From Barry's miss the Saints went nearly coast to coast to score a goal. A lovely 11 point turnaround.
Too bad the fickle types tend to miss the hard running off the ball. They probably think his vomiting last week as due to a batch of bad gatorade.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2010, 12:38 AM
He's still a severe under performer in finals, despite his obvious talents. It's a shame. He should be better.

Greystache
19-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Too bad the fickle types tend to miss the hard running off the ball. They probably think his vomiting last week as due to a batch of bad gatorade.

Hard running is great, but if you can't get the pill it's a mere detail. Yes Barry should have hit him up in the goal square but that was one time. He simply runs where the ball ain't too often in big games, his opponents even seem to pick up on this a sag off him to double team where the ball is going.

Mantis
19-09-2010, 12:44 AM
He wins the Garry Sidebottom award for this PF.

Doc26
19-09-2010, 12:46 AM
He's still a severe under performer in finals, despite his obvious talents. It's a shame. He should be better.

Or more generally when the heat is on and he is held to play accountable football. It is unfortunate that Gia has become too consistent when being held to task by our opponents, he simply goes missing.

hujsh
19-09-2010, 12:54 AM
He wins the Garry Sidebottom award for this PF.

For those of us born after the 80s could someone please explain this.

Mantis
19-09-2010, 12:56 AM
For those of us born after the 80s could someone please explain this.

He missed the team bus to a final.

hujsh
19-09-2010, 01:11 AM
He missed the team bus to a final.

Cheers, I get it now

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I personally think the game is now to fast for Gia. He does not have pace and no matter how far you run on a field lack of leg speed means your beaten to a contest and you will not be able to put pressure on ala Grant. I think the hard call needs to be made on him as our side lack pace especially in the forward line.

FrediKanoute
19-09-2010, 08:15 AM
So fickle. One week you love him, next you want him gone.

Rather than picking off blokes like snipers, focus on what we didn't do as a group. Gia was ordinary tonight, but please people, have some perspective.

What cost us, was a collective effort in the third quarter which saw our intensity and efficiency drop off dramatically. If you are to get to a GF, the TEAM needs to sustain what we delivered in the first half, for an entire game.

I agree that it wasn't Gia alone who cost us the game, but he was fairly annonymous last night. The big issue with Gia, and some of our other so called leaders is that when push comes to shove they don't lead on the field. The Saints were always going to get a run going at some stage. This is where a leadership group comes into its own.....they should have started doing the things necessary to stop the flow....none of the did.

The Pie Man
19-09-2010, 09:26 AM
He had a good prelim last year after fighting off injury in the 2nd half of 09, but 11 touches (only 3 to half time) and no impact was very disappointing from someone of his stature.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 09:45 AM
He had a good prelim last year after fighting off injury in the 2nd half of 09, but 11 touches (only 3 to half time) and no impact was very disappointing from someone of his stature.

What stature does he have. Always performs when the team goes well if not he does not. Not sure if that relates to stature.

Desipura
19-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Has continually let us down in finals against good opposition. Will play well during home and away and people will say again he should be captain.
Would rather he struggles home and away and turns it on in finals. At his age, time is fast running out to prove himself in finals, lacks alot of pace which is needed in finals.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Has continually let us down in finals against good opposition. Will play well during home and away and people will say again he should be captain.
Would rather he struggles home and away and turns it on in finals. At his age, time is fast running out to prove himself in finals, lacks alot of pace which is needed in finals.

He is our Leon Davis

EasternWest
19-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Please MC ... DO NOT MAKE HIM CAPTAIN.

Can we trade him to the Gold Coast?? He'd luv the sun and cameras up there! heheh

Comment all you like on his performance in the game, but mindless character assassination like this is garbage.

Topdog
19-09-2010, 02:11 PM
He was 2 seconds and barry hall turning around from kicking 3 goals and giving us a4 goal lead at half time

stefoid
19-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I didnt notice him much - who was his opponent? What role was he playing?

Our forwards were crucified with indiscriminate long bombs for the entire second half, so a small forward wasnt going to get much of a sniff.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Picken is greater than Gia as a forward.

Topdog
19-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Picken is greater than Gia as a forward.

LOL way to be impartial.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 09:26 PM
In many ways Gia had a very good year and stood up plenty of times but he and several others should be taken into a room to watch highlights of Ward, Picken and Addison last night.

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Great post :rolleyes:

My wife made an interesting observation last nite when she turned to me and said, "was Gia even playing?". Enough said.

1eyedog
19-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Meh anyone can run, granted not all do, Gia's deficiences are in other areas and they are glaring ones.

A very good player when the team is playing well, but cannot exert himself on the contest when they are not.

Bulldog Joe
20-09-2010, 12:05 AM
He was 2 seconds and barry hall turning around from kicking 3 goals and giving us a4 goal lead at half time

Spot on Topdog.

The role of the small forward includes making themselves an option going forward. It is hardly his fault if he is ignored by team mates when he is in the perfect position.

Unfortunately a lot of posters assess from the stats sheet and TV coverage which does not do justice.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Spot on Topdog.

The role of the small forward includes making themselves an option going forward. It is hardly his fault if he is ignored by team mates when he is in the perfect position.

Unfortunately a lot of posters assess from the stats sheet and TV coverage which does not do justice.
As a so called leader, I look at how he influences a game. Unfortunately he does not do it when we need our leaders most, in a cut throat final. If he is made captain, we will be the laughing stock of the AFL!

Mofra
20-09-2010, 11:06 AM
As a so called leader, I look at how he influences a game. Unfortunately he does not do it when we need our leaders most, in a cut throat final. If he is made captain, we will be the laughing stock of the AFL!
We wouldn't be playing in a prelim if it wasn't for his efforts a week earlier.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:07 AM
We wouldn't be playing in a prelim if it wasn't for his efforts a week earlier.

Oh please spare me. So he won us the game last week did he? Rhyce Shaw did alright especially in the first half.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Oh please spare me. So he won us the game last week did he? Rhyce Shaw did alright especially in the first half.
Gia is a whipping boy so I don't expect him to get a fair hearing, but yes - 3 second half goals in a 5 point victory means his contribution was very important.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Gia is a whipping boy so I don't expect him to get a fair hearing, but yes - 3 second half goals in a 5 point victory means his contribution was very important.
How is he going to improve his finals record against quality opposition?
The game is getting quicker and he is not. Can he pick up a yard of pace at 28yo?
What physical pressure did he exert when the tide was turning against us in the 3rd quarter?

always right
20-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately Gia simply doesn't posess the qualities to impose himself on a contest when things are going against us.

He doesn't have the pace to beat opponents to the ball or catch them when they are running the ball out of defence. He's not a great overhead mark and he doesn't have the body type to crash packs and impose himself physically.

He's a smart footballer with good skills who can have an impact when the rest of the team is at worse competitive with the opposition on the day. I'm not a critic....he just doesn't have the tools to be what supporters want him to be.

Stefcep
20-09-2010, 11:51 AM
The game is getting quicker and he is not. Can he pick up a yard of pace at 28yo?
What physical pressure did he exert when the tide was turning against us in the 3rd quarter?

The speed of the game isn't necessarily about leg speed. I've never seen a player out run a straight kick or a quick handball to a team mate in space. Its about decision making and quality execution Gia's decision making and execution is as good as we have at the club (now that Akermanis is gone-credit where credit is due)

The best teams have players that make good decisions, quickly. Yes the pressure is more intense than ever BUT we as a team have too many players that take too long to make a decision and when they do make the decision too often its the wrong one or badly executed. Watching St Kilda play the first half reminded me of what we do: take too long on the ball, try to break tackles when a free team mate is a few meters away, and execute passes poorly putting the receiver under pressure. In the second half they shook that off, we couldn't.

Leg speed is often about run and carry. I'm not a fan of run and carry in our game. Simply because the tackling today is so good, and to play that game well, you need to have ball carriers with good decision making skills and good execution, with team mates that create space and options around the ball carrier. Not this "bomb it up to the forwards and hope for the best" style thats become what we are known for this season. How do you expect a small forward to compete with rubbish delivery like that?

mighty_west
20-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Gia is no more or no less a whipping boy than Eagleton, and probably with good reason, both fail in the big finals.

Gia had a good patch in the 2nd half of the season, was especially good imo when given that defensive lock down forward role, but when it's time for him to stand up in the big games, like again on the weekend, he was found wanting, and off course he wasn't the only one, we have a certain few that have a habit of going missing in those cut throat big finals.

Given his status and experience, it was his turn to step up, he failed yet again!....unfortunatly.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 12:54 PM
The speed of the game isn't necessarily about leg speed. I've never seen a player out run a straight kick or a quick handball to a team mate in space. Its about decision making and quality execution Gia's decision making and execution is as good as we have at the club (now that Akermanis is gone-credit where credit is due)

The best teams have players that make good decisions, quickly. Yes the pressure is more intense than ever BUT we as a team have too many players that take too long to make a decision and when they do make the decision too often its the wrong one or badly executed. Watching St Kilda play the first half reminded me of what we do: take too long on the ball, try to break tackles when a free team mate is a few meters away, and execute passes poorly putting the receiver under pressure. In the second half they shook that off, we couldn't.

Leg speed is often about run and carry. I'm not a fan of run and carry in our game. Simply because the tackling today is so good, and to play that game well, you need to have ball carriers with good decision making skills and good execution, with team mates that create space and options around the ball carrier. Not this "bomb it up to the forwards and hope for the best" style thats become what we are known for this season. How do you expect a small forward to compete with rubbish delivery like that?

I agree with most you have written however Gia may have good decision making skills, he is not a ball carrier due to his lack of pace.
I expect a small forward to be at the fall of the ball. If you are small, you need to either be quick, physical or can get alot of the ball.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:04 PM
The small forward needs to be either a Rooke(hard tough defensive) type or Betts type(Good lead quick crumber) Gia is none of those.

FrediKanoute
20-09-2010, 01:10 PM
No denying that he was annonymous on Saturday night. The junk time goal did little to turn an ordinary night into a great night. Though he was pretty good against Sydney and his 3 2nd half goals did win us the game.

My biggest issue with Gia is consistency.....more importantly lack of. The gap between his best football and his worst football is large, too large for a guy touted as a future club captain.

Stefcep
20-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I agree with most you have written however Gia may have good decision making skills, he is not a ball carrier due to his lack of pace.
I expect a small forward to be at the fall of the ball. If you are small, you need to either be quick, physical or can get alot of the ball.

fair point. This year i think he bulked up a bit.

i just think Gia has the polish in his execution and finishing that we really don't have anyone else in the forward line to replace him with. If a half forward can get his 2-3 goals and 18-20 possessions than I think his job's done.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm not going to say he was one of our best, but the wholesale hacking into any scapegoat we can find after any losing final is embarrassing, especially a bloke forced to play out of position. We should sack a bloke after one poor final? Jeez, I'd hate to Jarrad Grant after two poor finals then.

In the space of three years, I'd have to say we have become one of the worst supporter groups in terms of eating our own.

chef
20-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm not going to say he was one of our best, but the wholesale hacking into any scapegoat we can find after any losing final is embarrassing, especially a bloke forced to play out of position. We should sack a bloke after one poor final? Jeez, I'd hate to Jarrad Grant after two poor finals then.

In the space of three years, I'd have to say we have become one of the worst supporter groups in terms of eating our own.

I guess that's what getting so close yet failing has done to some people.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Gia is marked harder as a potential captain.

As a player I think we can all agree that he is more than worthy of his role in the side. He is an elite ball user, pretty good finisher, and can find the pill if playing in the middle. He is also a very good role model off-the-field to our younger players, and can be a good spokesperson.

As a captain, though, he would struggle, not least because (and this point has been made in many different ways) of the position he plays, which is a thermometer, not a thermostat -- small forwards thrive when their teams are going well, and struggle when they are not. They rarely influence the actual direction/momentum of the game itself. The perception of an on-field leader is someone who is in a position to actually influence momentum or ball-winning plays, such as an imposing half forward, or a gun on-baller. Those who can direct traffic and structure and set up plays from the backline (Maxwell, Harley) are also an option. If he becomes captain Gia has to make a permanent move into the centre set-up. Whether this is in the team's long-term best interests is another issue again.

My disappointment with the leadership group as a whole is their seeming inability to think on the run -- poor decision making is one symptom of that, but even at a macro level on gameday, the leaders don't seem to be able to make the necessary calls to slow down momentum (when a team has kicked three in a row, we should be looking to lock the game down, or if Bazza is isolated up forward, how about leading further up the ground to give the defence a marking target), and when they DO take the initiative to make calls on team plays, they invariably get it arse backwards (Crossy making the call to slow the game down and kick the ball backwards after taking a mark in the forward 50 when WE HAD THE MOMENTUM and were streaming forward). This is either an education issue (the players haven't been taught basic tactics properly) or a coaching issue (where the players are starved of all initiative in search of perfectly following instructions).

Topdog
20-09-2010, 02:32 PM
When did Gia become a small forward? He is a HFF / midfielder.

Greystache
20-09-2010, 02:49 PM

One bad final???

He has played 7 career finals against top 4 teams for a return of one good game (not great) against Hawthorn in 2008. Could your expectations on a senior player possibly be any lower? Some players who've made their name as big final players haven't even played in 7 finals! :confused:

Desipura
20-09-2010, 03:04 PM

I never said to sack him, if we were a premiership team, he would not be in our leadership group.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 03:29 PM
He has played 7 career finals against top 4 teams for a return of one good game (not great) against Hawthorn in 2008. Could your expectations on a senior player possibly be any lower? Some players who've made their name as big final players haven't even played in 7 finals! :confused:
I thought he was good against the Swans.
Call me biased, but in a tight low scoring final against a side noted for stingy defence I think 3 goals is a better than fair result.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Call me biased, but in a tight low scoring final against a side noted for stingy defence I think 3 goals is a better than fair result.
Glad you admit your biased.

Mantis
20-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Point being they are not a top 4 team which Topdog mentioned.

We have a lot of players who can play well in finals against teams ranked 5-8, but we struggle to get consistent performances from many against the top 3 or 4.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Glad you admit your biased.
Yep - biased towards a player kicking goals. Comprehension a bit off today, eh AW?

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Yep - biased towards a player kicking goals. Comprehension a bit off today, eh AW?
Nope I get it just think your a poor judge.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 03:40 PM
No probs. I'll commentate on the football, you stick to getting upset and personal.
Put me on ignore if you are struggling with your emotions.

Greystache
20-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Not top 4. Gia is in the large group of players who can't perform against genuine contenders, which is why we're 0-7 the past 5 years.

Topdog
20-09-2010, 04:10 PM

I'm sorry but this is a rubbish post. You are allowed to have and voice your opinions but all you have done here is throw a tantrum.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 04:12 PM
No probs. I'll commentate on the football, you stick to getting upset and personal.
Put me on ignore if you are struggling with your emotions.
My emotions are fine I think your talking with your heart instead of your head. Gia is a likable fella so I can understand that.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Really? Sure as hell doesn't play like one (other than those games earlier this year when he spent more time in the middle). He doesn't lead up for the footy, rarely plays around the stoppages (other than in the forward half), and doesn't offer either a link up option through the middle or a marking outlet on the flanks.

Instead, Gia kicks opportunistic goals, makes play around the forward 50 arc either by setting up a mark by foot or going for goal himself, and has been tasked to play as a defensive forward on rebounding half backs. Sounds a heck of a lot more like a Rioli/Davis role than a Chapman/Didak (HFF/midfielders).

Granted, the lines between all these roles are pretty blurred these days, but he's still predominantly plays most of his football in and around the forward 50. I don't think he's a small forward either, by the way, even though the MC keep experimenting with him as this weird defensive forward hybrid. With his vision, tank and ball-winning clean hands he should be playing predominantly inside around our stoppage structure -- will give us a lot more silk in a pretty workmanlike area for us.

Ozza
20-09-2010, 06:09 PM

He would be if he wasn't so poorly used by his coach.
Instead he is now left in a forward pocket where his strengths can't be utilised for the most part.

ReLoad
20-09-2010, 06:43 PM
An interesting thread.

Firstly there are a few things that need to be said, what are people expecting from him? is he Paul Chapman?, is he Alan Didak? is he Ryan O'Keefe

Where is the comparison? What are we expecting from him?

It seems to me that people for some reason or another are expecting him to be some kind of match winning superhero every week.

Lets in fact compare him with players who play same/similar roles in other teams whereby I think he would compare favourably well, McQualter at the Saints, Byrnes at the Cattery and say Goldsack at the magpies.

I'm sure you all agree that these almost identically positioned players dont compare to Gia, so again what are we expecting?

Personally having heard him speak, having seen him work with the younger players, and when Boyd was injured in the middle of this year, his ability to go into the middle (which i think was his best period of play for us) make him a more than valuable player.

You cant have a team of 22 Superstars, and Gia IMHO well deserves his place in our team and is most certainly in our best 22 and belongs in our leadership squad.

Thats just my .02 Peoples Republic of West Footscray Roubles.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Excellent post ReLoad.
I agree with the sentiments earlier too - he is not a small forward, he is a HFF/mid but we have a plethora of players who can also play the role. I'd prefer to play him up the ground - traditionally, he plays his best football when he is leading us for assists. I'm sure Bazza wouldn't mind his delivery.

Mantis
20-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Excellent post ReLoad.
I agree with the sentiments earlier too - he is not a small forward, he is a HFF/mid but we have a plethora of players who can also play the role. I'd prefer to play him up the ground - traditionally, he plays his best football when he is leading us for assists. I'm sure Bazza wouldn't mind his delivery.

Gia's lack of pace & perhaps inability to have repeat physical efforts* are what's holding him back from being a permanent member of our midfield rotation.

Gia has the ability to 'gut run', but he isn't in the same league as someone like Daniel Cross.

hujsh
20-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I disagree that Gia's best is always when we win. Looking at his stats over the years his best goalkicking performances (3+) have been about half in winning teams and half in losing teams.

Also you can claim he fails against top four teams in big finals (he wouldn't be alone there) but with the role Gia plays in the team can you really expect him to be turning the tide of a match and carrying the team. His stats looked pretty good in 2008 against Geelong and Hawthorne and in 2006 against Collingwood and doesn;t deserve (IMO) to be pput in the same class as Guys like Eagleton.

boydogs
20-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Gia is marked harder as a potential captain.

As a player I think we can all agree that he is more than worthy of his role in the side. He is an elite ball user, pretty good finisher, and can find the pill if playing in the middle. He is also a very good role model off-the-field to our younger players, and can be a good spokesperson.

As a captain, though, he would struggle, not least because (and this point has been made in many different ways) of the position he plays, which is a thermometer, not a thermostat -- small forwards thrive when their teams are going well, and struggle when they are not. They rarely influence the actual direction/momentum of the game itself. The perception of an on-field leader is someone who is in a position to actually influence momentum or ball-winning plays, such as an imposing half forward, or a gun on-baller. Those who can direct traffic and structure and set up plays from the backline (Maxwell, Harley) are also an option. If he becomes captain Gia has to make a permanent move into the centre set-up. Whether this is in the team's long-term best interests is another issue again.

My disappointment with the leadership group as a whole is their seeming inability to think on the run -- poor decision making is one symptom of that, but even at a macro level on gameday, the leaders don't seem to be able to make the necessary calls to slow down momentum (when a team has kicked three in a row, we should be looking to lock the game down, or if Bazza is isolated up forward, how about leading further up the ground to give the defence a marking target), and when they DO take the initiative to make calls on team plays, they invariably get it arse backwards (Crossy making the call to slow the game down and kick the ball backwards after taking a mark in the forward 50 when WE HAD THE MOMENTUM and were streaming forward). This is either an education issue (the players haven't been taught basic tactics properly) or a coaching issue (where the players are starved of all initiative in search of perfectly following instructions).

Post of the year. FWIW I think Gia to the middle would be a good thing

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Post of the year. FWIW I think Gia to the middle would be a good thing
Just what we need another slow, short kicking midfielder.

chef
21-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Just what we need another slow, short kicking midfielder.

Gia would be close to the best kick to a leading forward in our team IMO.

Topdog
21-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Gia would be close to the best kick to a leading forward in our team IMO.

He isn't close to being the best, he is the best by a mile..

Mofra
21-09-2010, 10:14 AM
We tend to cut opposition teams up when he is leading the assist count - for a while we were the most efficient team in terms of scoring from inside 50s.
I rate him as the best user of the ball in heavy traffic, of course remembering that Griff & Cooney usually burst away from a pack before kicking it ;)

Desipura
21-09-2010, 10:25 AM

Its why he is in the team.

Doc26
21-09-2010, 11:00 AM
It seems to me that people for some reason or another are expecting him to be some kind of match winning superhero every week.

Lets in fact compare him with players who play same/similar roles in other teams whereby I think he would compare favourably well, McQualter at the Saints, Byrnes at the Cattery and say Goldsack at the magpies.
I'm sure you all agree that these almost identically positioned players dont compare to Gia, so again what are we expecting?

Personally having heard him speak, having seen him work with the younger players, and when Boyd was injured in the middle of this year, his ability to go into the middle (which i think was his best period of play for us) make him a more than valuable player.

You cant have a team of 22 Superstars, and Gia IMHO well deserves his place in our team and is most certainly in our best 22 and belongs in our leadership squad.

Much of that is fine but then no one I hear at least is raising the possibility of McQualter taking over the captaincy from Riewoldt, Byrnes from Ling or Goldsack from Maxwell. Yes Gia fits in our best 22 not unlike the three you mentioned.

As has been indicated before we shouldn't blur the lines between his right to be our next Captain and the position he does hold as part of our best 22.