PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to support the team

Ghost Dog
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Rather than venting our collective spleens, why don't we get our heads together and find a way to garner support.

We might criticize what the players do on field, but the big advantage Geelong and Collingwood have that nobody has mentioned are their supporter bases.

Face it, playing at Kardinia park is like playing an interstate game. And collingwood at the G is similar. They have lots of members which means dollars.
they have us beaten off the field, let alone on the field.
We need some ideas. Fundraising or motivational, to encourage the players and staff.

Here is my idea.
We design an inspirational T-Shirt, all chip in to get them printed, get famous past players to sign them and get a senior woof.net person to present them to the team. Just an idea.

Any other ideas?

azabob
07-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Interesting thought, but personally I dont think that is the answer.

As much as we want this to be a Disney type story it isn't - It's real life.

Not sure how much more motivation the players and staff require after the hall of fame night and two, count them two prelim losses.

Time for the players and coaching staff to stand up and take responsibilty and make the hard decisions that need to be made off field and on field.

LostDoggy
07-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Rather than venting our collective spleens, why don't we get our heads together and find a way to garner support.

We might criticize what the players do on field, but the big advantage Geelong and Collingwood have that nobody has mentioned are their supporter bases.

Face it, playing at Kardinia park is like playing an interstate game. And collingwood at the G is similar. They have lots of members which means dollars.
We need some ideas. Fundraising or motivational, to encourage the players and staff.

Here is my idea.
We design an inspirational T-Shirt, all chip in to get them printed, get famous past players to sign them and get a senior woof.net person to present them to the team. Just an idea.

Any other ideas?

i like where you're coming from. the t shirt idea sounds good. ill try and think of other things too.
onya akers beard75!

Remi Moses
07-06-2010, 08:30 PM

Here is my idea.

Any other ideas?

Blimey this is something out of Hollywood honestly!Simple it's time for the players to rid themselves of this complete ineptitude and not the long suffering supporters.:confused:

BulldogBelle
31-07-2010, 08:13 PM
What about a Red-White-and-Blue flag day.

There must be at least 20 countries that have red, white and blue as their national colours.

Great Britain, USA, New Zealand, Russia, France, Holland, Australia, Chile, Phillipines and Croatia to name the obvious ones. Have a fair outside the ground with stalls and have national parades inside the ground before the game.

Then have an Asia day. Same sort of thing but with any Asian country featured.

Then have an Africa day ...

bornadog
01-08-2010, 12:29 AM
What about a Red-White-and-Blue flag day.

I was talking to The Pieman last night and a thought I had was to give every junior supporter a flag when they purchase a finals ticket. Can you imagine what better support for the players with 10,000 kids waving their flags, it would be an awesome site.

choconmientay
01-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Nothing new but simple game day idea:

Every WOOF members will have to create a banner with some nice slogans ( can be brainstorm here in WOOF) and display at our home games. This is also advertising for WOOF as well :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOOF - WOOF - WOOF - WOOF -WOOF - WOOF - WOOF - WOOF - WOOF

Red White and Blue ..... Bulldogs through and Through

WOOF - Whitten Oval Online Forum. www.woof.net.au
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greystache
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
You want new supporters, win a premiership, you want mass new supporters win premierships over extended periods of time. Simple.

Hawthorn had among the lowest supporter bases in the league in the 70's, they won regular premierships over an extended period of time and now they have 53,000 members. There's no secret formula.

BulldogBelle
01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I like the idea of giving flags away to the kids.

I like the idea of giving a prize away for the best new banner.

What about giving free junior memberships away as part of a raffle prize for schools.

Desipura
02-08-2010, 09:29 AM
You want new supporters, win a premiership, you want mass new supporters win premierships over extended periods of time. Simple.

Hawthorn had among the lowest supporter bases in the league in the 70's, they won regular premierships over an extended period of time and now they have 53,000 members. There's no secret formula.
How about North winning those premierships in the 90s?

Mantis
02-08-2010, 09:38 AM
How about North winning those premierships in the 90s?

North would be dead if they didn't win those flags.

Desipura
02-08-2010, 09:43 AM
North would be dead if they didn't win those flags.
Judging by their lack of support yesterday, they are nearly there. Might be best for them to look at Tassie permanently.

Twodogs
03-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Rather than venting our collective spleens

It's collective spleen. We can get together and have a collective spleen or keep them seperate and have spleens.

What does a spleen do anyway? Go around shouting at people?

Mantis
03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
It's collective spleen. We can get together and have a collective spleen or keep them seperate and have spleens.

What does a spleen do anyway? Go around shouting at people?

The human spleen is an organ that creates lymphocytes for the destruction and recycling of old red-blood cells. The spleen is also a blood reservoir. It supplies the body with blood in emergencies such as a bad cut. The spleen is also the location where white blood cells trap organisms.

Link (http://www.mamashealth.com/organs/spleen.asp)

Greystache
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
The human spleen is an organ that creates lymphocytes for the destruction and recycling of old red-blood cells. The spleen is also a blood reservoir. It supplies the body with blood in emergencies such as a bad cut. The spleen is also the location where white blood cells trap organisms.

And interestingly while the spleen plays an important role in good health, it can be safely removed in the event of a trauma injury or a disease such as mononucleosis (otherwise know as glandular fever) so long as the patient has a fully functioning liver and takes regular injections to fight infection.

A very interesting thread. :rolleyes:

Twodogs
03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
And interestingly while the spleen plays an important role in good health, it can be safely removed in the event of a trauma injury or a disease such as mononucleosis (otherwise know as glandular fever) so long as the patient has a fully functioning liver and takes regular injections to fight infection.

A very interesting thread. :rolleyes:

I had glandular fever (my doctor told me it was also known as the kissing disease) but my spleen is still inplace to be vented whenever I feel the need. That girl who fell of the cliff edge in Croatia yesterday had her's removed though.

Twodogs
03-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Ok then. So when we want to rant and rave, why is it referred to as venting our spleen? Is there a buildup that is noticible in that area of the body when we get upset? Do we produce more red blood cells maybe?

Greystache
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I had glandular fever (my doctor told me it was also known as the kissing disease) but my spleen is still inplace to be vented whenever I feel the need. That girl who fell of the cliff edge in Croatia yesterday had her's removed though.

*like* :D

Twodogs
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
*like* :D

Yep. I can even remember the girl I caught it off. Only sketchily though and I cant recall her name.

Murphy'sLore
04-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Ok then. So when we want to rant and rave, why is it referred to as venting our spleen? Is there a buildup that is noticible in that area of the body when we get upset? Do we produce more red blood cells maybe?

Black bile (associated with melancholy and bitterness) is produced by the spleen, hence it was once believed that expressing one's anger cleaned out the organ.

Twodogs
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Black bile (associated with melancholy and bitterness) is produced by the spleen, hence it was once believed that expressing one's anger cleaned out the organ.

Does black bile really exist? I thought it was just part of that four humours stuff alchemists and physicians used to believe existed in the middle ages.

Murphy'sLore
04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Does black bile really exist? I thought it was just part of that four humours stuff alchemists and physicians used to believe existed in the middle ages.

I dunno -- probably not! But the whole venting your spleen concept no doubt dates back to the four humours theory, along with having a sanguinary disposition or a choleric temper or an excess of phlegm. ( Noice.)

ANYWAY...

Twodogs
04-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I dunno -- probably not! But the whole venting your spleen concept no doubt dates back to the four humours theory, along with having a sanguinary disposition or a choleric temper or an excess of phlegm. ( Noice.)

ANYWAY...

Yep. Excess of phlegm was always my favotite as well. It does sound noice.