PDA

View Full Version : MATCH PREVIEW: Round 12, 2010 -- Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane

mighty_west
09-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions
Round 12, Sunday 13th June, 2010

TV Coverage : Ch7 [in delay]

THE MILESTONE MEN :
Matthew Boyd 150 games
William Minson 100 games

[A big thanks to a certain poster going by the initials MINSON27 supplying that info, however, she was quite annoyed, well, actually, rather P***** OFF that Boydy was taking the limelight way from her favourite Bulldog...:)].

LAST 5 IN 2010:
Western Bulldogs : WWWLL
Brisbane Lions : LLLWL

HOW THEY MIGHT LINE UP:
Backs: Daniel Merritt, James Hawksley, Travis Johnstone, Joel Patfull, Tom Collier

Midfield: Justin Sherman, Sam Sheldon, Jared Brennan, Amon Buchanan, Michael Rischitelli, Daniel Rich, Simon Black, Tom Rockliff

Forwards : Todd Banfield, Jonathan Brown, Jack Redden, Luke Power, Brendan Fevola, Brent Staker

Rucks: Mitchell Clark, Matthew Leuenberger

OUT: Matt Maguire, Ash McGrath
IN: Merritt, ???

[B]WHERE ARE BRISBANE AT?
Take us back to round 4 at the Gabba "aka Beer-chucker Oval", and the Lions were off to a flyer, Fevola & Brown were out to destroy anything in their path, especially Brown early on, he was in career best form, just unstoppable, Fev for the first time in his colourful career had to take the back seat, Fev all of a sudden wasn't the big focal point, and he was certaintly down on previous season's with goals scored, but he was playing a role, it was working for them.

It was that night, the Big Jono Brown suffered some kind of injury [we all know it's OP], and he has been half the player he was ever since, a real shame, one of the great players to watch in full force, that said, i'm not so sad this week.

Last week, Simon Black had to unfortunatly pay for an aweful umpire muck up, which saw North get across the line with the help of a nasty looking ugly floating Sherrin off Levi Greenwood's boot late in the game, it was very Mitch Hahn like, but it got the job done, and that is all that counts.

But with both Fev & Brown down on previous weeks, the Lions have also struggled in that time, with just one win from their past 5 games.

DANGER PLAYERS:
Justin Sherman has taken the next step, well at least showing signs of his form early on in his career, and will be one to make sure that doesn't get out of control.
Jarred Brennan, another player that has taken time to live up to reputations, but has been quite lively running off half back, as well as pitch hitting in the ruck when needed, probably their most creative player, and another player that cannot be let off the chain, Everitt may be a good match up.

Daniel Rich, just do not let this kid get the ball, that left foot is as dangerous as a hyena circling a pack of Deers, absolultely deadly, Luke Power & Simon Black have also been playing some damn good football, Power was especially great in his big milestone game a few weeks back at the Gabba, Picken may get the job on Luke Power.

Brent Staker..........yes, i'm serious, well, perhaps not so dangerous, but he has been in very good form for the Lions over the past few weeks, he is another player that just finds himself near the action, has provided Brissy as a decent tall defender, with Daniel Merritt back this week, won't have to man up Barry Hall [i hear a massive sigh of relief for all involved], and good on him, he was one that perhaps raised a few eyebrows when traded to the Lions, and it is amazing what a new enviroment can do for a struggling player, and new position on field.

WHO?
Tom Rockliff & Todd Banfield, these kids can also play, i must admit i haven't seen alot of Rockliff, only know that he certiantly is a Supercoach favourite, but little Todd Banfield is one of those kids that looks as though he has been playing 100 games, he also loves a goal, just finds space with ease, perhaps oppositions just haven't paid him alot of respect, he goes alright this kid, you won't miss him, the flaming red hair, paddle-pop Lion like.

MATCH COMMITEE:
Who is under the pump?
Thanks to the ever shifting surface at Etihad Stadium that the AFL continue to claim is AOK, Shauny Higgins will be missing for a little while, which actually might be a blessing in disguise given his problems with his groin this season, they say 2-3 weeks, which could be 4-6 weeks which could be.....don't get us started.

Brennan Stack has struggled to keep up to the pace of AFL footy ever since his glowing performance in Canberra against the Swannies in round 8, ok, he did a few nice things against North, he may need to have a spell at Willy, to go & find some of that form he showed early on.

Dylan Addsion may also need a break for a little while, no one is knocking his commitment, his work ethic, perhaps after copping that heavy knock against North, he has gone downhill somewhat, he just looks as though he could do with a break.
Mitch Hahn is playing like a 35 year old, doesn't seem to be leading hard enough, working up the ground hard enough, being out bodied far too easily at times, the mind seems to be going in overdrive, the body doesn't seem to be keeping up, no one could blame him for going downhill very quickly in the twilight of his career [i'm not completly writing him off yet], but the way he has thrown his body around over his career, playing injured every second game etc etc.

WHO IS KNOCKING ON THE DOOR?
EVERITT.....EVERITT.....EVERITT, he just has to come in, and play as that roaming linkman, up forward, down back, in the middle, wherever a tube of No More Gaps is required, another good performance at Williamstown should be enough to get his name on the team list this week, will probably match up on Staker.

Timmy Callan, best on ground for Williamstown last week, and a logical replacement for Addsion, if the match commitee decide to go that way, can be a little dodgy by foot at times, but can also read the play very well, will never take a backward step, will be VERY hungry to get a game for starters, then cement his place in the side.

Robert Murphy, reports coming through that he is ready to come back this week, if not next week, and with Jarrad Grant successfully challenging his report from the weekend, you would be tempeted to give Murph one more game to make sure he is 100%, and ready to go.

Easton Wood, he could also be an option down back, perhaps himself & Timmy Callan are fighting for that position, or perhaps if the match commitee are starting to lose patience with Eagleton, Wood could be a show to play in the midfield.

ARE WE BRAVE ENOUGH?
Brian Lake moved forward against Collingwood, and the game just changed dramatically, for the first time in a very long time, the Bulldogs had 2 power forwards running around providing targets, as well as a resting ruckman, there was structure up forward, and Collingwood really struggled to find a way to bust it up, the Pies zoning off from defence game plan all of a sudden was thrown out of the window, they just simply had to man up, play accountable, and they struggled, and we looked as dangerous a side at any stage this year.

But, in return, we have to make sure that doesn't effect out backline, if Hargrave comes back this week, this will be a massive bonus, Williams & Morris will be our one, two, Fevola & Brown will be more than a handful, but Morris has had the better of Fev in the past, Brown will be playing on one leg which will work in Williams's favour.
I would also like to go one step further, be brave, move Harbrow forward, reads the play extremely well, could be an extremely dangerous small crumbing forward, use Griffen down back on occasions, as well as Gilbee, for their run out of defence, move Giansiracua in the midfield [AND LEAVE HIM THERE]...break the shackles, he just needs to be in the thick of the action at all times, this will also release Griff down back which in effect let's Harbrow loose up forward.

I'm not finished yet...Harbrow can also rotate with Josh Hill from a forward pocket to a wing, that way we still get some run in the middle from Harbrow, also releases the shackles from Hill, he can get a bit stale at times when left up forward, this could provide Voss with a few headaches.

THE BEER-CHUCKING FACTOR:
Zero, ziltch, none what so ever, this game is being played at Etihad Stadium,, and NOT the Gabba, and that "Mystery" Bulldogs man has certaintly lean't a valuable lesson, don't waste beer, evan on Fev, even if it was XXXX.

VERDICT:
Win, and win big, we just have to, and i'm quite confident we will, alot is said about a team that finishes off a game full of running the week before, that they continue that early on the following week, do i REALLY believe that? probably not, but it sounds good, i just think we can really stretch Brisbane's defence, especially if Lake get's a full time job up forward, Merritt, Patful & Staker can play roles down back for Brissy, but if Barry Hall isn't double / triple teamed, Lake just finds space, watch out.

Dogs by 45

P.S - Don't forget the Beard, make the big fella proud, and show off the People's scarf with pride, perhaps if we see each other, another "Woofer" passing by, just a wink, little nod, just to know that we are in this together, and perhaps, if Huddo does slot through a major, a Sheedy-esc style scarf wave might be the right thing to do.....just do it!

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the informative preview. I like the theory about a side finishing the previous week with running......but it's a shame it didn't work after Essendon! I'm being positive and think we can beat the Lions, especially if we have a few personnel changes ;)

Love the idea about the Beard and a Sheedy like waving if the big fella kicks a goal - I'm up for it! :D

Mofra
09-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Good work. The Staker issue is an interesting one - early in the season he was quite effective as a hard running tall forward, running back into the space left by the leading Brown & Fev. I'd love to get Lake forward for a stint here & there to force Staker to go back & defend against him (or take Hall was Merritt goes to Lake, who is excellent with the body on body work).

The Pie Man
09-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Good work. The Staker issue is an interesting one - early in the season he was quite effective as a hard running tall forward, running back into the space left by the leading Brown & Fev. I'd love to get Lake forward for a stint here & there to force Staker to go back & defend against him (or take Hall was Merritt goes to Lake, who is excellent with the body on body work).

Who doesn't want to see Staker on Hall?

It's some chance with Goose out as well.

Great preview mighty-west, I also get a sense we'll jump out of the blocks really well on Sunday.

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I have the feeling we will win this game, then the West Coast match and maybe even the match against the Hawks, and think we have our season back on track...Then crash once again down to reality against the Blues.

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I have the feeling we will win this game, then the West Coast match and maybe even the match against the Hawks, and think we have our season back on track...Then crash once again down to reality against the Blues.

No offence, but shouldn't we be dragging out the "one week at a time" cliche and not get too far ahead of ourselves? I just want to see the boys win on Sunday, and then I'll focus my attention on the week after! :D

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 09:16 PM
No offence, but shouldn't we be dragging out the "one week at a time" cliche and not get too far ahead of ourselves? I just want to see the boys win on Sunday, and then I'll focus my attention on the week after! :D

Good point, but I personally can't help but being a pessimist :(
I'd love to see our season like a 'Glass half full' but I just cannot help myself!

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Good point, but I personally can't help but being a pessimist :(
I'd love to see our season like a 'Glass half full' but I just cannot help myself!

Fair enough, but I see from your photo (nice one) that you are actually a wee bit younger than me - not sure what that means - maybe it's just that I've just been around longer and gone through many long dark, lonely periods of Footscray/WB history, and by comparison, it's fairly easy for me to see the glass as half full:D We aren't "gawn" by any stretch of the imagination - keep the faith!

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Fair enough, but I see from your photo (nice one) that you are actually a wee bit younger than me - not sure what that means - maybe it's just that I've just been around longer and gone through many long dark, lonely periods of Footscray/WB history, and by comparison, it's fairly easy for me to see the glass as half full:D We aren't "gawn" by any stretch of the imagination - keep the faith!

Hope your right ;)
My faith is restored!

LostDoggy
09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Great preview of the game ahead, lets hope the motivation of Boydy and Big Wills 100th\150th can get the the Dogs in that winning feeling again!

chef
10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Great preview mighty west:).

The first game I'll be at since round 1, can't wait:):):).

Curly5
10-06-2010, 11:14 AM

I'll be devastated if we lose to Carlton. Not only MUST THIS STOP, but here in the primitive wilderness of Qld, the only other AFL follower in my office is a Blues fan who has 'We Are The Navy Blues' as her mobile ringtone, and Fev on her computer wallpaper (hasn't got over him leaving yet). :eek:

EasternWest
10-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I'll be devastated if we lose to Carlton. Not only MUST THIS STOP, but here in the primitive wilderness of Qld, the only other AFL follower in my office is a Blues fan who has 'We Are The Navy Blues' as her mobile ringtone, and Fev on her computer wallpaper (hasn't got over him leaving yet). :eek:

You might want to prepare for devastation. We've really struggled to beat Carlton in recent times and with our current form.... I hope I'm wrong.

Mantis
10-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Good preview m_w, well done. (It wasn't that hard was it.)

Even with the return of Merrett Brisbane's back half looks decimated with Adcock, Drummond, McGrath & Maguire all to miss Sunday's clash. With at least 3 of these guys running types much resposibility will fall on Travis Johnstone's shoulders to be the set-up man. As well as not washing his hair and not shaving Johnstone also must be a 'non-tubber' because if he doesn't stink how else do you explain his 37 possession & 16 mark game last week? Gia was able to qwell Heath Shaw's influence last week and may be asked to play a similiar role on the 'non-tubber'.

If we can win the midfield battle we should be too good for Brisbane. In rd 4 we looked flat after a tough one against Hawthorn and they pounded us in the 2nd half (atleast in general play) and if not for some poor finishing they would have beaten us by 10 goals. In that game we sorely missed Boyd in the middle so hopefully his influence will be felt in the engine room.

Our team will still be without at least 4 members of our best 22 so I will be looking for those guys just hanging on to spots to really lift their game and press their case for remaining in the side when players return. They must take the opportunity they are given or one would would think that these oportunities will cease into the future.

Hopefully we are switched on from the get-go and get back to playing the type of footy that makes us a good team as it is the type of footy we enjoy watching.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Yep, great work on the preview mighty west.

Really a must win game for us this week. Brisbane, whilst they've been a little better over the past couple of weeks, have really been struggling big time since early on in the season. If it looks like we are getting on top in the midfield, and Brown is struggling, it would be a good opportunity to test our structures with Lake moving forward against a side with some quality forwards at the other end.

Lots of interesting discussion at the selection table this week, and hopefully we'll see a few guys back from injury to replace a few whose form has dipped over the past few weeks.

Mofra
10-06-2010, 05:03 PM
In that game we sorely missed Boyd in the middle so hopefully his influence will be felt in the engine room.
I think in some respects his important to us is understimated, and he is the biggest in for us when compared to the round 4 clash.

I am a little worried by the mobility of their ruck division however I hope we can overcome that with physicality - Hudson has turned this into an artform.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-06-2010, 08:39 PM

I trust intuitive feelings and I;m disappointed in your feelings about the Blues game. I hate losing against them ever. I think we can defeat them.

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I trust intuitive feelings and I;m disappointed in your feelings about the Blues game. I hate losing against them ever. I think we can defeat them.

I was using it was a rough example of how our year has ended up panning out so far. Whenever it looks like we get our season back on track (Defeats against Sydney and North) we crash and burn suddenly with losses we should be winning (Essendon and Collingwood). Please prove me wrong though! I would love that to happen! But at the moment, i'm personally not so convinced :(

BornInDroopSt'54
11-06-2010, 03:32 AM
I was using it was a rough example of how our year has ended up panning out so far. Whenever it looks like we get our season back on track (Defeats against Sydney and North) we crash and burn suddenly with losses we should be winning (Essendon and Collingwood). Please prove me wrong though! I would love that to happen! But at the moment, i'm personally not so convinced :(

I agree that's been the pattern..I'm hoping for a turning point, in fact a full on resurrection of our best form from last year plus the Barry Hall factor. Carlton are just the team to do it against. I make no apologies for my optimism or for my prejudice against Carlton.

Mantis
11-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I think in some respects his important to us is understimated, and he is the biggest in for us when compared to the round 4 clash.

I just re-checked and Boyd did play in our rd 4 clash (he had 27 disposals), there goes that theory. :confused:

Doc26
11-06-2010, 11:57 AM

I just re-checked and Boyd did play in our rd 4 clash (he had 27 disposals), there goes that theory. :confused:

Although he may have racked up some disposals wasn't it the Brisbane game that Boyd broke his hand in ? Not that it's generally a strength of Boydy but I can recall his efficiency being well down that night

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree that's been the pattern..I'm hoping for a turning point, in fact a full on resurrection of our best form from last year plus the Barry Hall factor. Carlton are just the team to do it against. I make no apologies for my optimism or for my prejudice against Carlton.

I agree BIDST54, I would rather loose to Collingwood that Carlton! We just have to beat them this year, ( especially considering it will probably be an 8 point game.) lets hope we are running into some form by then and give them a hiding!

w3design
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Great preview Mighty West.

I think we'll win this one- the home advantage is big here given how Lions have performed in Melb (losses to demons and roos).

Do or die, Dogs.