10-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Western Bulldogs

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Dale Morris, Tom Williams
HB: Easton Wood, Brian Lake, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Brennan Stack, Mitch Hahn, Robert Murphy
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Daniel Cross
I/C (from): Dylan Addison, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Josh Hill, Will Minson, Brodie Moles, Sam Reid

In: Everitt, Reid, Wood, Murphy
Out: Shaun Higgins (ankle)

Brisbane Lions

B: James Hawksley, Daniel Merrett, Sam Sheldon
HB: Brent Staker, Joel Patfull, Travis Johnstone
C: Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich, Justin Sherman
HF: Jack Redden, Jonathan Brown, Luke Power
F: Todd Banfield, Brendan Fevola, Jared Brennan
Foll: Mitchell Clark, Michael Rischitelli, Simon Black
I/C (from): Aaron Cornelius, Matthew Leuenberger, Amon Buchanan, Tom Collier, Andrew Raines, Pearce Hanley, Troy Selwood

In: Merrett, Selwood, Raines, Cornelius, Hanley
Out: Ashley McGrath (hamstring), Matt Maguire (foot

FlightoftheCallanWards
10-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Wood on the field. Like it
Stack also on the field. Not sure about that one

My bench would be Everitt, Hill, Minson and Moles/Reid (not too sure on that one but would go Moles as he doesnt deserve to be dropped)

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Western Bulldogs

I/C (from): Dylan Addison, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Josh Hill, Will Minson, Brodie Moles, Sam Reid

Out: Shaun Higgins (ankle)
Pain Sunday games, you are not much wiser un til they announce the final team.
Do the changes have to come from the Interchange named players ?

divvydan
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Looks like Murphy comes in as a straight swap for Higgins and Wood comes in to where Addison was named last week, so early guess would be;

In: Murphy, Wood
Out: Higgins, Addison

Of course, they might just be moving Addison elsewhere in the team.

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmm, No Shaggy..wonder how bad his injury is.

I guess we will know more about the selections when Williamstown play

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Harbrow, Morris, Everitt
Wood, Williams, Gilbee
Griffen, Boyd, Picken
Grant, Lake, Murphy
Hill, Hall, Gia

Everitt, Addison/Eagleton, Minson, Reid

I wish!

Greystache
10-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Lake named a CHB is interesting.

Looks like Hahn and Eagleton will play. No wholesale changes unsurprisingly.

chef
10-06-2010, 06:16 PM

My bench would be Everitt, Hill, Minson and Moles/Reid (not too sure on that one but would go Moles as he doesnt deserve to be dropped)

Me too:).

My bench would be Everitt, Hill, Minson and Moles. I would give Reid one more week at Willi.

The Pie Man
10-06-2010, 06:20 PM
No Tim Callan in the 25 - after being reportedly BOG last week, you wonder where he's at.

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Why? Of course he will play on Brown (not that named positions matter a jot anyway).

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM
No Tim Callan in the 25 - after being reportedly BOG last week, you wonder where he's at.

He'd be on the "D-List" :cool:

chef
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the side when we play Carlton in a few weeks(to take one of their many small forwards).

chef
10-06-2010, 06:24 PM
BRISBANE
B: James Hawksley, Daniel Merrett, Sam Sheldon
HB: Brent Staker, Joel Patfull, Travis Johnstone
C: Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich, Justin Sherman
HF: Jack Redden, Jonathan Brown, Luke Power
F: Todd Banfield, Brendan Fevola, Jared Brennan
Foll: Mitch Clark, Michael Rischitelli, Simon Black

Int (from): Aaron Cornelius, Matthew Leuenberger, Amon Buchanan, Tom Collier, Andrew Raines, Pearce Hanley, Troy Selwood

In: Daniel Merrett, Pearce Hanley, Troy Selwood, Aaron Cornelius, Andrew Raines
Out: Matt Maguire (foot), Ashley McGrath (hamstring)

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Shaggy should be right for next week. Reid still needs to get his fitness up, so I am not expecting him to play.

Yeah, don't want to see him rushed back. I am happy to see Wood named and named in the side as opposed to bench (if that makes a diff who knows) kid deserves a game and id assume it'll be at the expense of Addison or Stack.

Edit: Oh great, redmuff is back :rolleyes:

Greystache
10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Why? Of course he will play on Brown (not that named positions matter a jot anyway).

We've never named our side based on how we think the opposition will name theirs. Lake is named at FB every week then he picks up whoever he's assigned to on match day. I think the match committee are at least wanting to be seen to be looking at moving him around.

G-Mo77
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM
From the looks of it I doubt we'll see that many changes. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Can't see Reid coming in to be honest. Minson will stay and I doubt we'll see Eagleton dropped so it's out of Hill, Addison, Everitt and Moles. 2 of those players will miss and I'm not surprised. Same players in and out of the side, same players stay in despite bad form. :confused:

LostDoggy
10-06-2010, 06:36 PM
From the looks of it I doubt we'll see that many changes. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Can't see Reid coming in to be honest. Minson will stay and I doubt we'll see Eagleton dropped so it's out of Hill, Addison, Everitt and Moles. 2 of those players will miss and I'm not surprised. Same players in and out of the side, same players stay in despite bad form. :confused:

Nothing new & to think we weren't supposed to be accepting mediocrity as a club anymore, yeah right.

choconmientay
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Looks like Hahn and Eagleton will play. No wholesale changes unsurprisingly.

I think this is just mind game :) It's like saying to Michael Voss: "Our FB is covered. Lake could potentially play anywhere .... may be forward, may be at the back" :D Let's the guess work doing their magic.

Ozza
10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Wouldn't phase me if Moles missed out this week. At times his decision mking leaves a lot to be desired. would be happy if the bench was; Minson; Hill Everitt & Reid.

Remi Moses
10-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Agree about Moles ,very pleasing to see Wood finally get a gig!

BornInDroopSt'54
10-06-2010, 08:25 PM
What's the difference between Sam Reid and Easton Wood? I get them mixed up.

lemmon
10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
What's the difference between Sam Reid and Easton Wood? I get them mixed up.

Wood is a fantastic athlete, normally plays at half back and is a good runner with the pill
Reid is a real big bodied, contested ball winning mid

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Hahn gets a game again. Fantastic. At first I thought that this was a mistake, but then I heard that Roger Merrett is coming out of retirement for one last game so at least Hahn will have a fighting chance of being able to keep up with someone on the opposition.

Stack gets a game again. Fantastic. Never mind the fact that he has lost the ability to gather the ball when it is below his knees yet he plays in a team seemingly unable to pass by hand or foot on the full.

So much for Eade's famous 'form and fitness' selection criteria.

If Eade is true to form, then the bench will be Minson, Eagleton, Hill and Addison - and if that happens then I am going to go berko. I'm happy that Wood is getting a well deserved chance but Everett had to be named in the starting eighteen as well.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2010, 01:32 AM

I guess they have seen Stack develop and have faith in him. Let's hope he gets a bit of confidence and improves. I like the guy - alot of people in these forums have been grinding the axe for him to be cut. Hope all the guys just go for it this week and really play on fast, show guts and are not afraid to kick long to a 50/50

BornInDroopSt'54
11-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Wood is a fantastic athlete, normally plays at half back and is a good runner with the pill

Thanks

Remi Moses
11-06-2010, 03:56 AM
Hahn gets a game again. Fantastic. At first I thought that this was a mistake, but then I heard that Roger Merrett is coming out of retirement for one last game so at least Hahn will have a fighting chance of being able to keep up with someone on the opposition.

Stack gets a game again. Fantastic. Never mind the fact that he has lost the ability to gather the ball when it is below his knees yet he plays in a team seemingly unable to pass by hand or foot on the full.

If Eade is true to form, then the bench will be Minson, Eagleton, Hill and Addison - and if that happens then I am going to go berko. I'm happy that Wood is getting a well deserved chance but Everett had to be named in the starting eighteen as well.

Here Here! I don't get it as much as the team is struggling so is the coach and selection commitee.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2010, 08:54 AM

I would add that Reid is also a very good athlete, who is strong in the air

The question mark on both is kicking

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I would add that Reid is also a very good athlete, who is strong in the air

The question mark on both is kicking

To add further about Reid he has a bit of mongrel in him and we are sadly lacking this quality at the moment.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Happy to see Wood in the team. Right about Reidy, one more week in Willy i reckon. Only came back a few weeks ago and doubt he'd have anywhere near the motor up yet.

Smurf or Evs in for Addison, and hopefully Eagleton as i just see him taking a young players spot atm, to the detriment of both the team and that player.

Can anyone see a defensive forward tag being placed on Alby Mangles? There's no immeadiate like for like inclusion that Wood replaces that i can see. Perhaps Eade wants him to just sit on Travis all day and negate his run, therefore holding up much of Brisbanes setup play from backward of centre? Just a theory.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 12:19 PM
can anyone see a defensive forward tag being placed on alby mangles?

ha ha!

:D

Cyberdoggie
11-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Agree about Moles ,very pleasing to see Wood finally get a gig!

Hope he grabs this opportunity and backs himself 100%

I don't want to see him passing sideways or taking a mark then handballing it off to Nathan Eagleton standing beside him.

Easton you have to run through the middle of the park and impose yourself as a backman.
I want to see that trademark leap and strong marking ability of yours.

Good luck.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Hopefully, come tonight, the team will read:

Western Bulldogs

I/C (from): Andrejs Everitt, Will Minson, Brodie Moles, Sam Reid

Out: Shaun Higgins (ankle), Eagleton (old age), Addison (poor foot skills), Josh Hill (MIA)

Doubt it tho'!

I admire the faith Eade has in his players, but players only learn from being challenged - the ultimate challenge is "go back to Williamstown, re-discover your love for the game, and come back revived"

P.S. I'd prefer Hahn and Stack out, but they're named in the starting 18, so unfortunately stuck with them for another week!! Hopefully they repay the faith

LostDog
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM

here here

bornadog
11-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Hopefully, come tonight, the team will read:

Out: Shaun Higgins (ankle), Eagleton (old age), Addison (poor foot skills), Josh Hill (MIA)

Doubt it tho'!

Reid won't play this week, still not fit enough. Everitt is a chance though.

G-Mo77
11-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Doubt it tho'!

I've been a pretty harsh critic on Hill this season but he was far from one of the worst last Sunday.

Mofra
11-06-2010, 04:46 PM
I've been a pretty harsh critic on Hill this season but he was far from one of the worst last Sunday.
He's also been our second highest goal scorer this year, and offers something a little different to the side. I'd have him in before Stack on current form.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 05:04 PM
He's also been our second highest goal scorer this year, and offers something a little different to the side. I'd have him in before Stack on current form.

I'd also have Hill in the side ahead of Hahn.

anfo27
11-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I just can't understand how Stack can get another game after that effort or lack there of. I haven't seen him do anything since he has been in the side to begin with. I have read a lot of posts pumping Stack up and mentioning 'X factor' in the same sentence but i don't see what everyone else does. i don't get to see many Willi games but can anyone confirm that he has ever put his body on the line at Willi?
His weak efforts in that first half last week made me want to put a hole in my tv. Disgusted that a kid can play that badly and still get another game.

FlightoftheCallanWards
11-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Never been Josh's biggest fan but totally agree with you.

Has 7 more goals than the 3rd highest (Hahn) and is no where near our worst at the moment.

KT31
11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Not really a Hill fan either , but how Stack can get a game over Hill is beyond me.
Stack and DFA would have been lucky to keep their spots in a WRFL team.

FlightoftheCallanWards
11-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Updated Team:

Western Bulldogs
I/C: from Nathan Eagleton, Josh Hill, Will Minson, Brodie Moles

Emergencies: Dylan Addison, Andrejs Everitt, Sam Reid

In: Wood, Murphy
Out: Higgins (ankle), Addison (omit)

Real disappointing to see Everitt miss out again. Understand Reid's ommision and hopefully he can be in next week.
Stack, Eagleton and Hahn the ones that will need to lift to keep their spot.

Unsurprisingly Lions go with:
IN: Andrew Raines, Daniel Merrett
OUT: Ash McGrath (hamstring), Matt Maguire (foot)

choconmientay
11-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Updated Team:

Western Bulldogs
I/C: from Nathan Eagleton, Josh Hill, Will Minson, Brodie Moles

Emergencies: Dylan Addison, Andrejs Everitt, Sam Reid

Out: Higgins (ankle), Addison (omit)

I am not happy seeing Everitt still not getting a run. Stack, Eagleton, Hahn are still in the team. The Match committee clearly seeing things differently to Woofers.

choconmientay
11-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Updated Team:

Real disappointing to see Everitt miss out again. Understand Reid's ommision and hopefully he can be in next week.
Stack, Eagleton and Hahn the ones that will need to lift to keep their spot.

^^^^^^^

didn't see this bit in your original post. Strangely you are thinking the same as me :)

comrade
11-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Not suprised, but still disappointed.

There are a number of players that must re-pay the faith.

BulldogBelle
11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Hopefully there will be a late change, which there won't be. (unless Murph doesn't come up)

Very disappointing. I can't claim to know more than our MC, but that is just bitterly frustrating.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Happy to see Wood get a run (finally!) please dont let me down Easton!

But also agree, not happy with those getting a free ride every week.

FlightoftheCallanWards
11-06-2010, 06:25 PM
^^^^^^^

didn't see this bit in your original post. Strangely you are thinking the same as me :)
Haha yes realised as I saw your post :)

I was just having a quick browse at who we have to come back in and who I honestly believe belongs in our 22 and I like what i see. Obviously there will be further injuries but to the current side I would change:

Shaggy for Wood - That's assuming Shaggy is ready to play his 09 form football. Mind you I'm a big Wood fan

Everitt for Eagleton - Might sound weird but get Andrejs to run on the wing. Says it's probably his favourite position.

Ward for Moles - Ward should be ready to go soon. One of my real favourites. Like Moles also but as previously mentioned, I believe his decision making can be a little wobbly.

Johnson for Stack - Stack's been out of nick. Hopefully he can lift this week but would have to think he is first out once the skipper is back.

Higgins for Hahn - Still a long way back obviously and plenty of time for Hahn to hit some form. But at the moment this is the change I would make.

Aker for Hill?? - This one has a big question mark on it. Depends on how Hill goes because at the moment he is doing enough to hold his spot. Also depends on Aker's VFL form.

Those 3 forward changes would leave us with Barry and Grant occupying those 190cm+spots, Murphy as the mid size who can play a CHF type position and Johnno, Aker/Hill and Higgins as our small forwards and leaves us with this potential lineup:

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Callan Ward
HF: Jarrad Grant, Robert Murphy, Shaun Higgins
F: Brad Johnson, Barry Hall, Jason Akermanis/Josh Hill
I/C: from Will Minson, Andrejs Everitt, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken

Point of the post is to show how much talent we have to come into this side. A loss this week is a real worry, but if we get the 4 points all of a sudden 7-5 doesn't look too bad ;)

choconmientay
11-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I would change:

Wood for Shaggy - That's assuming Shaggy is ready to play his 09 form football. Mind you I'm a big Wood fan

Do you really mean Wood for Shaggy ? I would say Shaggy for Wood :D

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2010, 06:36 PM

At some point both Hahn and Eagleton are finally going to play a decent game. History suggests it's probably this week. That then saves them for the next eight weeks.

I'd rather they don't re-pay the faith so that the MC aren't given an excuse to keep them in the side.

Terrible way to go about it, but I'll only be angrier if Hahn kicks 4 and saves his bacon on the back of this game.

chef
11-06-2010, 06:38 PM
What was the point of keeping Everitt this year if we aren't going to play him:confused:. Keep banging at the door Dre, your time will come.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Eade must have something against Everitt.

choconmientay
11-06-2010, 06:42 PM
I think all WOOFers may have to go to the WB Facebook site and ask the club the same question over and over again. That may help Everitt to get a game?

LostDog
11-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Eade frustrates the hell out of me, if we lose this week and Hahn, Eagleton or any other questionable play pathetic I will book myself into a mental health clinic and tear up my tickets for the West Coast game at Subiaco next week.
Please Dogs prove me wrong

G-Mo77
11-06-2010, 07:23 PM
What was the point of keeping Everitt this year if we aren't going to play him:confused:. Keep banging at the door Dre, your time will come.

Yeah hopefully it does. He should have been in last week IMO. The MC seem to be taking the easy way out with this team and not making some hard decisions. I don't want to see change just for the sake of it but it wouldn't hurt to shake this team up a little. That might put a bit of fear into the passengers that have got a gig on Sunday.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Stack?
I said last week i won't go until he is dropped, am I'm going to stick to that. Especially with Everitt not getting a gig

NoName
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
What was the point of keeping Everitt this year if we aren't going to play him:confused:.

Agree, I was sure he was going to get a gig this week.

Scorlibo
11-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I know Everitt has to favoured because of his youth, but was his form pre-injury really that good? I thought he was doing enough to hold his spot, but he still hadn't played any really good games and was still in our worst 5 or so players during his stint. Am I missing something or are people just getting carried away?

On Stack, although he hasn't had the best few weeks, when he does get involved in a passage of play in a beneficial manner, we look much more dangerous than when someone like Josh Hill gets the ball. Stack makes things happen and plays on the offensive which is exactly the thing Eade was wanting to improve on at the end of the last match.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Eade must have something against Everitt.

I'm seriously pissed off about this.

How the hell is it that Everitt isn't getting a game over some of these other clowns!!

Not happy match comittee:mad:

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
I know Everitt has to favoured because of his youth, but was his form pre-injury really that good? I thought he was doing enough to hold his spot, but he still hadn't played any really good games and was still in our worst 5 or so players during his stint. Am I missing something or are people just getting carried away?

On Stack, although he hasn't had the best few weeks, when he does get involved in a passage of play in a beneficial manner, we look much more dangerous than when someone like Josh Hill gets the ball. Stack makes things happen and plays on the offensive which is exactly the thing Eade was wanting to improve on at the end of the last match.

It's not so much about the fact that Everitt isn't getting a game. He wasn't setting the world on fire prior to injury, but he was still doing enough. It's the fact that Hahn (and Eagleton to a lesser extent) keep getting a game despite their dreadful performances.

Agree that Stack needs to keep playing until we get a few of our better players back. If he doesn't play well this week, he'll be dropped for one of Ward, Reid or Johnson.

MrMahatma
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM

Agree that Everitt wasn't BOG when he played, but if he was in the 5 worst, Hahn and Eagle were 1&2.

Scorlibo
11-06-2010, 08:52 PM
It's not so much about the fact that Everitt isn't getting a game. He wasn't setting the world on fire prior to injury, but he was still doing enough. It's the fact that Hahn (and Eagleton to a lesser extent) keep getting a game despite their dreadful performances.

Agree that Stack needs to keep playing until we get a few of our better players back. If he doesn't play well this week, he'll be dropped for one of Ward, Reid or Johnson.

But how has Hahn's output been any different to what he has offered in the past? He has never been a star, and the only thing that has dropped off is his goal kicking, which is only to be expected with the addition of Hall and Mitch not being a main target inside fifty. With the absence or poor form of Murphy, Higgins, Johnson and Akermanis all season, our forward line has looked slow and uncreative, which is probably why people are pointing the finger at Mitch, but really it's not like he has got any slower or less creative, it's the absence of that core group of half forwards which has cost us. Guys like Eagleton and Stack in turn become more important around half forward, and hence are given greater value around the selection table.

GVGjr
11-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Whilst faith in the team would normally be a good quality in the selectors you would have to think that if we are to lose to the Lions then the selectors should be under more pressure than the marginal players.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I wonder what the excuse will be, if some how we do lose to the Lions.

BulldogBelle
11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
At some point both Hahn and Eagleton are finally going to play a decent game. History suggests it's probably this week. That then saves them for the next eight weeks.

I'd rather they don't re-pay the faith so that the MC aren't given an excuse to keep them in the side.

Terrible way to go about it, but I'll only be angrier if Hahn kicks 4 and saves his bacon on the back of this game.

These two guys seem to play well against the Lions (this years game was an exception though)

Hahn isnt doing enough of the 'junk yard dog' work that he did in previous years...not enough tackles, not getting to enough contests, diving on loose balls and the oppositions teams boot etc

BulldogBelle
11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
But how has Hahn's output been any different to what he has offered in the past? He has never been a star, and the only thing that has dropped off is his goal kicking, which is only to be expected with the addition of Hall and Mitch not being a main target inside fifty. With the absence or poor form of Murphy, Higgins, Johnson and Akermanis all season, our forward line has looked slow and uncreative, which is probably why people are pointing the finger at Mitch, but really it's not like he has got any slower or less creative, it's the absence of that core group of half forwards which has cost us. Guys like Eagleton and Stack in turn become more important around half forward, and hence are given greater value around the selection table.

Completely agree

I think he is a better player when he is closer to goals...he doesnt need to fly for the marks, leave that to Barry. His job is to get to the ball first when it hits the ground, or flatten any opposition player that get the ball, and create a scoring opportunity.

NB I think Grant has become an uber important member of our forward line with the speed and defensive pressure he brings to the table.....

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Still shaking my head about Everitt, can only think that the MC learnt from the magpies mistake of going to tall. Serious pressure on Mitch and Brennan. Wow just seeing Murphs name their makes me feel calmer.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Hanh, Stack, and Gia. Can someone explain to me why Everitt can not replace one of these out of form players. Another week of carrying these blokes. Lose this week and the calls for Eades head will be getting louder.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:21 PM

You honestly think his forward line pressure, is right up there with seasons past?

Mitch was never a star, i agree with that entirely. But what he built his game around was his hard pressure through out the forward line, which made it hard for teams to get easy possessions out of there defensive area. Mitch has always been the player who locked the ball in, put on tackles & really made his presence felt. He has been very lethargic, which was perfectly highlighted by Garry Lyon on Footy Classifieds.

Maybe it's true what Grant Thomas also said, maybe Mitch hasn't recovered mentally from the hit by Bazza.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Seriously, how does Eagleton get a game?!!!! :confused:

I'd be pulling my hair out, but I don't have that much left

azabob
11-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Hanh, Stack, and Gia. Can someone explain to me why Everitt can not replace one of these out of form players. Another week of carrying these blokes. Lose this week and the calls for Eades head will be getting louder.

Who is calling for Eade's head currently?

bornadog
12-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Out: Shaun Higgins (ankle), Dylan Addison

I wonder if there will be any more changes?

Remi Moses
12-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Really Mitch had never been a high posession winner he just looks off the pace more often and is going to ground too often. Must be on his LAST CHANCE !!

LostDoggy
12-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Favoritism at it's best. Wil save my anger until match day when the team is finalised, but not holding any high hopes of at least one change.

The future should be now, otherwise i can see us bottoming out big time in two/three seasons when our late 90'a early 00's staples retire.

Scorlibo
12-06-2010, 01:27 AM
You honestly think his forward line pressure, is right up there with seasons past?

Mitch was never a star, i agree with that entirely. But what he built his come around was his hard pressure through out the forward line, which made it hard for teams to get easy possessions out of there defensive area. Mitch has always been the player who locked the ball in, but on tackles & really made his presence felt. He has been very lethargic, which was perfectly highlighted by Garry Lyon on Footy Classifieds.

Maybe it's true what Grant Thomas also said, maybe Mitch hasn't recovered mentally from the hit by Bazza.

He has always been lethargic. If you think his forward pressure is down you should probably be looking towards what has changed in our forward structure rather than what has changed about Mitch himself. In this respect, Barry's arrival has made a huge difference to our forward pressure. We use to play with numbers at the fall of the ball, so when it hit the ground it was much easier amongst the congestion to force a stoppage or even a goal. Now we make space for Barry and in doing so take an 'all or nothing' approach when kicking it to him, if he marks, then great, but if he doesn't then that ball is swept away as quickly as it came in because guys like Mitch who usually try to lock it in have made space for Barry's lead and are nowhere near the thing.

LostDoggy
12-06-2010, 02:51 AM

Mitch was never a star, i agree with that entirely. But what he built his come around was his hard pressure through out the forward line, which made it hard for teams to get easy possessions out of there defensive area. Mitch has always been the player who locked the ball in, but on tackles & really made his presence felt. He has been very lethargic, which was perfectly highlighted by Garry Lyon on Footy Classifieds.

Exactly right, JH40.

Hahn's intensity is significantly less than in previous years, he lacks confidence and he seems physically incapable of playing at an elite level.

Twice in the past two weeks, he has made a well timed lead in the forward line and gained a good distance between himself and his slower-to-react opponent only to see his opponent whoosh past him and beat him to the ball. That same lack of speed is what prevents him from getting to enough contests to assert any influence on the game; and is like a Christmas present to the defenders who play on him as they run off him at will and create opportunities for their team.

Hahn's been a great player for us and he may well be a great player again; but right now he's a lump.

And that's ok.

Players lose form. Fact of life. When a player does lose form or just turns in a couple of shockers, no one expects the match committee to throw them out of the team immediately. Players deserve a second chance (especially young players who need time to adjust to senior football as the gap between the AFL and the VFL grows larger) and some players deserve a third or fourth chance as they have earnt the right to try and regain their form in the seniors.

But that's where the chances run out.

Because if you continue to play senior players who consistently underperform then you damage the entire club. Good young players at Williamstown who have earned the chance to play in the seniors aren't rewarded and become discouraged, while the senior team continues to carry players who are a liability on the football field at a time when having 22 good players has never been more important.

Sometimes the best thing to do for a player out of touch is to make him play in the VFL to find some form. Other clubs do it all the time. Why not ours?

That's why we're all so irritated. At the end of last week's match, it was abundantly clear that Hahn and Addison had run out of chances and that Stack, Giansiracusa and Eagleton were not far behind. Our match committee made the easy call to send Addison back to Williamstown and once more let Hahn coast at the expense of Everett, whose form in 2010 has been superior to the above mentioned players and who has the potential to become a great contributor to this football club if given the right opportunities.

That is favouritism and it is unacceptable.

What does it say about our club that we can ask a player (who halved his salary to stay on our list) to walk away from media contracts totalling more than he earns from football to prove that the team comes before the individual, when our own match committee continues to honour loyalties to individuals at the expense of the team?

LostDoggy
12-06-2010, 03:03 AM
If you think his forward pressure is down you should probably be looking towards what has changed in our forward structure rather than what has changed about Mitch himself.

I have some issues with how our forward line is operating, but I don't agree with that, Scorlibo.

People are entirely justified in looking at Hahn himself. All aspects of his game are well below what he is capable of. It isn't a team structure holding him back; he's just woefully out of form.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Based on history if Hahn kicks 4 we will win easy. He is a front runner and plays well when the dogs play well.

For mine i would like to see big games from Gia and Murphy, these are the guys we miss and need firing with the likes of Jonno, Ward, Aker & Shaggy out.

Desipura
12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Stack?
I said last week i won't go until he is dropped, am I'm going to stick to that. Especially with Everitt not getting a gig
Stay away, Im sure the club wont miss you. Fancy not going to a game because of one player (no fault of his).
If that was the case, I would not have gone to many games in the 1980's as there were a number of players who I did not rate highly that were playing.

I hope Stack kicks 4 and turns it on, big time!

Scorlibo
12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I have some issues with how our forward line is operating, but I don't agree with that, Scorlibo.

People are entirely justified in looking at Hahn himself. All aspects of his game are well below what he is capable of. It isn't a team structure holding him back; he's just woefully out of form.

He's getting more of the ball, and taking more marks, than ever before in his career, he's using the ball with the same efficiency that we have come to expect (and even taken for granted) from him, and the area of his game which is attracting most criticism - his forward pressure - is undeniably a bi-product of the way we are bringing the ball inside fifty and a bi-product of having a dominant key-forward.

Yet he has become the whipping boy of this forum.

bornadog
12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Stay away, Im sure the club wont miss you. Fancy not going to a game because of one player (no fault of his).
If that was the case, I would not have gone to many games in the 1980's as there were a number of players who I did not rate highly that were playing.

Couldn't agree more Des, we don't know all the goings on behind the scenes especially the instructions given to players. Many criticized Gia last week, yet he was asked to negate Shaw's influence, which he did very well and sacrificed his own game.

bornadog
12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Out: Shaun Higgins (ankle), Dylan Addison

I wonder if there will be any more changes?

Addison, Reid and Everitt all playing at Willi. Howard promoted to the senior Willi team.

EasternWest
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Addison, Reid and Everitt all playing at Willi. Howard promoted to the senior Willi team.

Good news.

LostDoggy
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Here Here !
We all get disappointed with some of our performances and selections, but the bottom line is we are all supposed to suport the club not individuals. I don't like some of what I read which really goes below the belt with some of the comments about certain players, fair enough to have a go at how someone played, but calling them things like "duds" etc, I don't like. I too think Everitt should be in the side, but I'm no expert, that is why I have not played AFL.

LostDoggy
12-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm realy disapointed with eagleton, Hahn,stack left in side this week, would have like to see Ried,Everett and Tim Callan in. But great to see Wood get a game.

Remi Moses
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
^^ You were going okay but you didn't mention that Mitch is falling to ground to often when the ball is in our 50 . He needs to lift and supporters who bellow on about "whipping boys" but in reality some supporters look through red white and blue glassess.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 05:45 AM
He's getting more of the ball, and taking more marks, than ever before in his career, he's using the ball with the same efficiency that we have come to expect (and even taken for granted) from him, and the area of his game which is attracting most criticism - his forward pressure - is undeniably a bi-product of the way we are bringing the ball inside fifty and a bi-product of having a dominant key-forward.

Yet he has become the whipping boy of this forum.

He's only kicked three goals in the past six games.

He's only laid six tackles in the past three games (including four last week when he was moved into defence).

Most importantly, he isn't having an impact on the game at all, and when he is in form he does.

I watched him closely during the first half last week (willing him on and not willing him to fail) and was so disappointed with him. The Mitch Hahn of last year (with the exception of some games leading up to the finals when he was clearly carrying an injury) willed his lumbering frame to contests and to be first to the ball. The Mitch Hahn of last week was stuck in the mud. He didn't work hard enough and it had little to do with team dynamics. His opponents cleaned him up.

The coach said that he picked the team on 'form and fitness'. Hahn's out of form and keeps getting picked. Questioning why that is does not make Hahn a whipping boy. It's a legitimate question.

Scorlibo
14-06-2010, 05:46 PM
He's only kicked three goals in the past six games.

Goals aren't a great indicator for any player. As long as someone's kicking them.

He's only laid six tackles in the past three games (including four last week when he was moved into defence).

He's never averaged more than 3.4 tackles a game in his career, so 6 in 3 games and 2.8 average so far this year is not a problem.

Most importantly, he isn't having an impact on the game at all, and when he is in form he does.

You should specify what you mean by 'impact', as far as I'm concerned I've been talking about various indicators of his impact this entire thread, and no one has been able to convince me of a serious defficiency in Mitch's game this year.

I watched him closely during the first half last week (willing him on and not willing him to fail) and was so disappointed with him. The Mitch Hahn of last year (with the exception of some games leading up to the finals when he was clearly carrying an injury) willed his lumbering frame to contests and to be first to the ball. The Mitch Hahn of last week was stuck in the mud. He didn't work hard enough and it had little to do with team dynamics. His opponents cleaned him up.

The coach said that he picked the team on 'form and fitness'. Hahn's out of form and keeps getting picked. Questioning why that is does not make Hahn a whipping boy. It's a legitimate question.

I have watched every game this year and I have only ever seen him attack a contest to his best ability, and work his hardest to get to that contest.

My view of him being a whipping boy is naturally affected by my view that he is not out of form and not lacking fitness. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just seems to me as though a lot of people are jumping on Hahn's back solely to have an opinion.