PDA

View Full Version : The Bulldog Heritage book

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-06-2010, 04:05 PM
This excellent production was launched at the Hall of Fame event. You can purchase your copy at Etihad on Sunday at the Bulldog Shop located at gate 7. This full colour, high quality book presents the history of the Footscray/ Western Bulldogs Football Club in the words of 90 former players. Read about the people, events and milestones that make up our club's history, as told by the players who experienced them all first-hand.
Available in both hard back or a prestigious leather bound collector's edition.
This is the first book in a series, produced under the guidance of former Club Brownlow Medallist and 5 times best and fairest winner, John Schultz.
Consisting of 370 pages this is a truly great publication. Also available from Bulldog Central at the Club.

G-Mo77
11-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Sounds good so........

How much is it?

EasternWest
11-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks NBP, I'm pretty keen to get one of these. Any idea of the cost?

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Sounds good so........

How much is it?

Thanks NBP, I'm pretty keen to get one of these. Any idea of the cost?

The cost of hard back is $69.95 with a members discount of 10%.

G-Mo77
11-06-2010, 04:24 PM
The cost of hard back is $69.95 with a members discount of 10%.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds affordable. I'll take a peek on Sunday and make the decision then.

bornadog
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I got my copy yesterday, fantastic book. Highly recommended for all bulldog lovers.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/CCF11062010_00000.jpg

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Love the cover but as much as I thought Stevie Power was a ripper, he's in some pretty decent company there with EJ, Charlie, Hawk, Allan Hopkins and Jack Collins.

Who's the guy in the top left hand corner?

Doc26
11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Love the cover but as much as I thought Stevie Power was a ripper, he's in some pretty decent company there with EJ, Charlie, Hawk, Allan Hopkins and Jack Collins.

Without certainty it looks like Arthur Olliver

mighty_west
11-06-2010, 06:08 PM

I actually thought top left was Jack Collins.

Doc26
11-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I actually thought top left was Jack Collins.

Jack Collins is the bottom middle shot

EasternWest
11-06-2010, 06:52 PM
How does Leon Cameron get half a face on before Chris Grant?

craigsahibee
11-06-2010, 08:16 PM

I reckon you're right there Doc26.

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I think this might be a great read and will definitely have a look on Sunday - thanks for posting the info!

Doc26
11-06-2010, 11:57 PM
How does Leon Cameron get half a face on before Chris Grant?

What does make this book different is that it is not at all focussed on the greats but as much on the lesser lights which makes it all the more interesting. Based on this the representation of greats on the front cover is a little misleading if you get my drift i.e. could easily have had say a Stuey Magee's shot on the front.

It really is a worthwhile read. I got as much if not more out of the stories from those players I barely knew of than those of the higher profile players although I did enjoy Rick Kennedy's story.

Twodogs
13-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Marty McDonnell?

Actually I'm pretty sure that I'm thinking of somebody else that I always get confused with Marty Mcdonell, Johnny Hoiles maybe? Or John Jillard.

I dont think it's Arthur Olliver though.

Axe Man
13-06-2010, 11:14 PM

Marty McDonnell?

Actually I'm pretty sure that I'm thinking of somebody else that I always get confused with Marty Mcdonell, Johnny Hoiles maybe? Or John Jillard.

I dont think it's Arthur Olliver though.

I just consulted my copy of the book and it says it is Arthur Olliver.

I got the book sent out straight after the hall of fame night and what I have read so far has been great.

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 05:51 AM
I got my copy at the Hall Of Fame night....got it signed by a few of the past players as well....haven't started reading it yet, but really looking forward to it......

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I got my copy at the Hall Of Fame night....got it signed by a few of the past players as well....haven't started reading it yet, but really looking forward to it......

Ditto...only i am half way through, great read. All doggies fans should get themselves a copy, it's a great insight to the real history of our great club!! The Bulldogs Forever Foundation have done themselves a treat.

LostDoggy
18-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Besides the well known players displayed on the front cover I really enjoyed reading the stories of such players as Jim Miller, Dan Taylor, George Bell, Graeme Chalmers, Byron Guthrie, Jack Slattery and Barry Thornton, players you wouldn't hear much of.

I believe John Schultz and company intend to follow up this excellent production with follow up volumes with further stories on other players not in this book.

bornadog
19-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I love reading about the stories in the VFA days and how a game was abandoned on the siren when the fans ran onto the ground complaining about a mark on the siren. The dogs were 4 points up and North had marked the ball as the siren sounded. The umpires decided they couldn't control the situation so ran off and the game was replayed the following week. Mind you it was a semi final. The following week with minutes to go, Footscray were down by 2 points when a goal was dribbled through an unguarded goal and then siren went.

Pickenitup
06-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Hey Guys just to let you know Vol 2 has just been released picked mine up from the shop today and it looks like a beauty plenty of players from the 90's in it including Nathan Brown cant wait to read it.

bornadog
07-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Fantastic, I was wondering when the second volume would be released,

KT31
07-09-2014, 01:33 AM
Hey Guys just to let you know Vol 2 has just been released picked mine up from the shop today and it looks like a beauty plenty of players from the 90's in it including Nathan Brown cant wait to read it.

Nathan ( Judas ) Who ? ;)

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Fantastic, I was wondering when the second volume would be released,

These two volumes are a marvelous historical record spearheaded by John Schultz and his late wife Elaine together with life member Kevin Meddings and his wife Yvonne plus book editor and passionate Bulldogs member Scharlaine Cairns. This is a fine achievement by a small group of Bulldogs fanatics, who have put in countless hours of unpaid work in producing two outstanding books, being must reads for all members. Praise should also be given to Club Executive, Rachael Murphy for her coordination. This initiative is a first of all AFL clubs. A great effort by all concerned.

westdog54
08-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Nathan ( Judas ) Who ? ;)

LOL. As much as we harp on the Judas thing there's no getting around the fact that he was a great player for us.

Murphy'sLore
08-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Oh goody. Picked up Vol 1 at a discount price at the recent Bulldogs mega-sale-thingy and it's a wonderful way to catch up with all the Bulldog history I need to know (nearly ready for my exam questions…) Looking forward to Volume 2!

The Cowshed
08-09-2014, 11:35 PM

Nathan Brown makes the surprising admission in the book that it was probably a mistake in leaving the Bulldogs for Richmond.

Murphy'sLore
09-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Worth buying it just for that, surely? :D

Twodogs
09-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Nathan Brown makes the surprising admission in the book that it was probably a mistake in leaving the Bulldogs for Richmond.

He appears to have got over it though.

bornadog
09-09-2014, 01:16 PM
When is the second book available?

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-09-2014, 03:26 PM
When is the second book available?
The Official release was last Friday and I would expect that it is now available through the Bulldog Shop. Incidentally for those who may not have purchased Volume 1, both volume one and two are available for purchase.

Twodogs
09-09-2014, 03:44 PM
The Official release was last Friday and I would expect that it is now available through the Bulldog Shop. Incidentally for those who may not have purchased Volume 1, both volume one and two are available for purchase.

Correct, both editions are available at the Bulldog Shop.

Avoid the rush
09-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Definitely the best book of it's type that I have read!! Well done to all involved , well written , great photos and follows on from the first volume seamlessly. Great Job!!!!!

bornadog
09-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Correct, both editions are available at the Bulldog Shop.

Didn't see it online, I will have another look.

KT31
09-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Didn't see it online, I will have another look.

https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=subcategorylisting&CategoryID=343&SubCategoryID=177&OrgID=1679

bornadog
09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=subcategorylisting&CategoryID=343&SubCategoryID=177&OrgID=1679

Isn't that the first one?

Daughter of the West
09-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Isn't that the first one?

This should take you straight to book 2 bornadog:
https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product&CategoryID=343&SubCategoryID=177&ProductID=45052&OrgID=1679

I was at the launch last Friday, got to have a bit of a sneak around the training centre after the presentation (it was held there), and then headed to the cafe afterwards. John Schultz appears to be in great nick, as does Harvey Stevens. Harvey said that it was quite funny to be up there talking about his father rather than himself! Peter Gordon also got up and said a few words, reiterating the developments they will undertake around the Whitten Oval (lights, scoreboard etc). Quite a nice way to spend a Friday afternoon.

bornadog
09-09-2014, 07:25 PM
This should take you straight to book 2 bornadog:
https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product&CategoryID=343&SubCategoryID=177&ProductID=45052&OrgID=1679

I was at the launch last Friday, got to have a bit of a sneak around the training centre after the presentation (it was held there), and then headed to the cafe afterwards. John Schultz appears to be in great nick, as does Harvey Stevens. Harvey said that it was quite funny to be up there talking about his father rather than himself! Peter Gordon also got up and said a few words, reiterating the developments they will undertake around the Whitten Oval (lights, scoreboard etc). Quite a nice way to spend a Friday afternoon.

Thankyou, not sure how you found that.

Pickenitup
09-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I have read all of the 90s players loved them all especially Johnno Smithy Crofty Kritter and on to the 80s now with guys like Axe Wallis Libba Wyndy have to say this is the best Bulldog Book I have ever read and there is still so much more to read in this edition.
Cant wait for the rest of the series.

merantau
29-12-2018, 06:03 PM
I received a copy of "The Bulldog Heritage" Vol 1 for my 70th.
I read it in 2 days. Fantastic book. The stories of 90 men who have played with us as re-called by them, or in the case of old-timers, by their descendants.
Players of all abilities are featured from champions to one bloke who never played a senior game. What shines through is the love and respect that so many expressed for their coaches and trainers as they were coming through the ranks in the 6ths, 5ths, 4ths , U/19s and Reserves. The eulogy that Anthony Cerantonio delivered at Norm Gardner's funeral is a wonderful tribute and well worth thinking about as a set of values and guide to a worthwhile life. If Vol 2 is half as good, it will be a cracker.

bornadog
29-12-2018, 06:30 PM
I received a copy of "The Bulldog Heritage" Vol 1 for my 70th.
I read it in 2 days. Fantastic book. The stories of 90 men who have played with us as re-called by them, or in the case of old-timers, by their descendants.
Players of all abilities are featured from champions to one bloke who never played a senior game. What shines through is the love and respect that so many expressed for their coaches and trainers as they were coming through the ranks in the 6ths, 5ths, 4ths , U/19s and Reserves. The eulogy that Anthony Cerantonio delivered at Norm Gardner's funeral is a wonderful tribute and well worth thinking about as a set of values and guide to a worthwhile life. If Vol 2 is half as good, it will be a cracker.

Do you have Volume 2?

Twodogs
29-12-2018, 07:25 PM
I love reading about the stories in the VFA days and how a game was abandoned on the siren when the fans ran onto the ground complaining about a mark on the siren. The dogs were 4 points up and North had marked the ball as the siren sounded. The umpires decided they couldn't control the situation so ran off and the game was replayed the following week. Mind you it was a semi final. The following week with minutes to go, Footscray were down by 2 points when a goal was dribbled through an unguarded goal and then siren went.

Didn't the crowd pull one of the goalposts down? Or I might be thinking of a game in Tasmania.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Didn't the crowd pull one of the goalposts down? Or I might be thinking of a game in Tasmania.

The pulling down of the goalpost did occur in Tasmania in 1967, in a State final between Wynyard and North Hobart. I happened to be at the game. The incident occurred as the North Hobart player was kicking for goal in the final kick of the game from 20 metres out, when Wynyard fans behind the goal managed to uproot one of the goalposts. Fans and Police stormed onto the ground causing the umpires to declare a no contest. The incident received widespread publicity at the time even reaching the BBC in London.

merantau
30-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Do you have Volume 2?

Not yet but I will get it.

bornadog
30-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Not yet but I will get it.

I have a spare and happy to give it to you. Only thing is how to get it to you.

merantau
30-12-2018, 11:23 PM
I have a spare and happy to give it to you. Only thing is how to get it to you.

That's very kind of you BAD. I will send you a PM and if you are in Melbourne or anywhere near Bendigo I'll drop by. Look out for a PM tomorrow. Thanks a million.

jazzadogs
14-09-2020, 10:47 PM
Does anybody know if Volume Two of The Bulldog Heritage is available for sale anywhere? I can't find it on any online bookstores, or the online Bulldogs Shop. I finally took the time during lockdown to read the first volume, and would love to get the second volume which I assume will include a few more contemporary stories as well.

Twodogs
14-09-2020, 11:21 PM
Does anybody know if Volume Two of The Bulldog Heritage is available for sale anywhere? I can't find it on any online bookstores, or the online Bulldogs Shop. I finally took the time during lockdown to read the first volume, and would love to get the second volume which I assume will include a few more contemporary stories as well.

I've only ever seen it at the Bulldogs shop at the footy ground Jazza.

Eastdog
15-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Would be good to get that book. Probably can find it somewhere online.

Twodogs
15-09-2020, 11:19 PM
Would be good to get that book. Probably can find it somewhere online.

Almost impossible Easty. I checked for it and Unleashed a couple of months ago when I had some spare cash

Eastdog
15-09-2020, 11:22 PM
Almost impossible Easty. I checked for it and Unleashed a couple of months ago when I had some spare cash

Possibly in the local library maybe but yeah now would be pretty hard to find those books.

Twodogs
15-09-2020, 11:38 PM
Possibly in the local library maybe but yeah now would be pretty hard to find those books.

I have a friend who works in a library. I will ask her if it's available anywhere when I get a chance.

jazzadogs
16-09-2020, 09:29 AM

I assume you found Unleashed? Link (https://footscrayhistoricalsociety.org.au/product/unleashed-a-history-of-the-footscray-football-club/)

Twodogs
16-09-2020, 09:57 AM
I assume you found Unleashed? Link (https://footscrayhistoricalsociety.org.au/product/unleashed-a-history-of-the-footscray-football-club/)

No I didn't find either

Eastdog
16-09-2020, 01:58 PM
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/1823703475

I remember seeing this book in my school library.

bornadog
16-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Very little about our club in that

Twodogs
16-09-2020, 11:08 PM

For some reason I have the hardback and the softback copy of that book.

Eastdog
17-09-2020, 09:32 PM

I believe there are sections dedicated to each club but maybe just very little about us. Haven’t seen it in a long time.

Twodogs
17-09-2020, 10:58 PM
I believe there are sections dedicated to each club but maybe just very little about us. Haven’t seen it in a long time.

You may be thinking of a similar size/formatted book called The Clubs I think Easty.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-09-2020, 07:06 PM

Still a very interesting book to have and well worth getting.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-09-2020, 07:09 PM
No I didn't find either

I remember Unleashed coming out in a leather bound volume as well which i think went for about $200. I thought 'i love the club just not that much'.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-09-2020, 07:12 PM

I was only thinking last week of trying to get hold of vol 2. Very disappointing if it's no longer available.

Twodogs
18-09-2020, 08:17 PM
I remember Unleashed coming out in a leather bound volume as well which i think went for about $200. I thought 'i love the club just not that much'.

Having given up smoking in April I have been putting away my loose change. I've got over a $1000 in good coins alone so I'd happily pay that price. With Coronavirus work has been insanely busy too (my co-workers keep getting sick) so I've been minting it in.

jazzadogs
18-09-2020, 08:43 PM
Having given up smoking in April I have been putting away my loose change. I've got over a $1000 in good coins alone so I'd happily pay that price. With Coronavirus work has been insanely busy too (my co-workers keep getting sick) so I've been minting it in.

Twodogs, did you see that I linked to the Footscray Historical Society who have Unleashed available on their website for about $60?

There is also a guy who designed the cover selling 3 copies on facebook link (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/992376661185834/)

Twodogs
19-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Twodogs, did you see that I linked to the Footscray Historical Society who have Unleashed available on their website for about $60?

There is also a guy who designed the cover selling 3 copies on facebook link (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/992376661185834/)

Cheers mate, I will try to get one.��

Twodogs
15-12-2020, 02:55 PM
I've been looking everywhere for a copy of volume one of The Bulldog Heritage but it's impossible to find anywhere. If anyone has a spare copy I'd be happy to pay for it. If you do then PM and I'll get back to you.

Please and thank you.