PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R12 Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane

BulldogBelle
11-06-2010, 07:36 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Sunday afternoon's game at ES against Brisbane.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 23 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Matthew Boyd to kick the first goal.

chef
11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Doggies by 54
Cooney BOG
Hill First Goal

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Fingers crossed:-

Dogs by 35 points
First goal = Griff
BOG = Cooney ;)

BulldogBelle
11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Lions by 17 points.
1st Goal = Giansiracusa
BOG = Cross

BornInDroopSt'54
11-06-2010, 11:01 PM
DOGS by 27pts
FIRST GOAL Barry Hall
BOG Griffen

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Lions by 11
BOG: Black
First goal Hall

LostDoggy
11-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Dogs by 45
BOG - Cooney
First Goal - Cooney

bornadog
12-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Dogs by 37

BOG - Boyd

First Goal - Hill

AndrewP6
12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Dogs by 13 (Pllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeease!)
BOG Cooooney
First goal Hill

Remi Moses
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Dogs by 24
first goal Stack
BOG Boyd

mighty_west
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Dogs by 47
BOG - Cooney
1st goal - Lake

LostDoggy
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
These gameday threads seem to start earlier every week! ;)
Dogs by 56
Hall First Goal
Boyd BOG

LostDoggy
12-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Dogs by 26 points
First goal: Hill
BOG: Cooney

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Dogs by 12
FG: Lake
BOG: Harbrow

lemmon
13-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Dogs by 65
First goal- Hill
BOG- Hahn

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Dogs by 65

1st Goal Hall

BOG; Cooney:)

Max469
13-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Dogs by 25 pts

1st goal - Gia

BOG - Boyd

The Underdog
13-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Dogs by 8 points
First goal: Stack
BOG: Cooney

KT31
13-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Dogs by 27
First goal : Griff
BOG : Boyd

jazzadogs
13-06-2010, 12:25 PM
With Brown out, I am SO much more confident. Having said that, if the boys don't perform it won't matter who is in the Lions team.

Dogs by 23
BOG: Harbrow
First goal: Lake

Go_Dogs
13-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Dogs by 40 points.
Cooney BOG
First goal to Stack

Doggy
13-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Dogs by 92
BOG: Hall
First goal: Hall

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Is williams injured again?

Doggy
13-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Is williams injured again?

Slight hammy strain. Might be out for a couple of weeks.:(

The Coon Dog
13-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Slight hammy strain. Might be out for a couple of weeks.:(

West Coast in Perth, followed by the bye, so in some ways not a major problem I would have thought. Definitely need more run at Subiaco.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 06:51 PM
West Coast in Perth, followed by the bye, so in some ways not a major problem I would have thought. Definitely need more run at Subiaco.

There is no such thing as "not a major problem" when it comes to injuries with this bloke.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 07:22 PM
For you Adam :)
http://www.bigpondsport.com/bulldogs-121-v-lions-56/tabid/91/newsid/49523/default.aspx

Solid win i reckon, didnt put them to the knife in the last quarter, but didnt let them back in either!

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Good effort today, great to see us get back some run!

Go_Dogs
13-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Good effort today, great to see us get back some run!

Agreed, good performance today.

Murphy down back is a great move and one we must continue to use going forward. Just adds another dimension to our run and creative ball use from the back half, and is good at reading the play and cutting off opposition passes.

Cooney and Griffen were good, Cross was solid, Boyd was ok but his disposal again let him down a bit. Gilbee and Harbrow were both good.

I thought Wood was alright too. Got himself into trouble of a couple of occasions, but provided good run and his long kicking was generally to advantage. No high flying attempts today though.

Moles was alright today too.

Hall was very good.

Just need to back this performance up over the coming weeks and get some consistency back.

jazzadogs
13-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Murphy down back is a great move and one we must continue to use going forward. Just adds another dimension to our run and creative ball use from the back half, and is good at reading the play and cutting off opposition passes.

Johnno was on Channel 7 at half time, said that Murphy will move forward again once he has regained some touch. I agree with you though, I think he can provide a lot more in defence, especially with Grant in the side (not that Grant is at Murphy's level yet).

I was really impressed with Will and the Beard today.

Morris' game on Fev will undoubtedly be underrated, as we all expect it from him.

Noticed they sent Lake forward for much of the last quarter again, wouldn't have minded seeing him down there earlier. But that has got the makings of a never-ending debate.

Hahn still didn't do enough for mine. Gia impressive, Eagle serviceable, Moles good (but probably goneski for Ward) and Stack was alright (but gone for Johnno).

The Bulldogs Bite
13-06-2010, 07:54 PM
We still have a long way to go, but it was nice to see the side trying (for the most part) to get back to their usual style of play.

Murphy was the highlight of the day. Thought he got better as the day went on, exploding in the last quarter. Agree with Griff he's now a better asset down back for us, but at times we'll still need to swing him forward. Possibly against sides like Geelong.

Hall was very good again, but I'm still worried that we look for him a little too much. It works against the lesser sides, but we need to find other avenues to goal. Granted - we should of nailed a lot more shots today than we did so we did create the chances.

Gia was back to his best. Makes a massive difference to our side when he's playing well. Generally makes good decisions with the ball in hand and I believe he ended up having 6 shots at goal. Good effort, need to see it more often.

Cross has had a fantastic couple of weeks. His work rate is phenomenal; players can't keep up with him, and he's always getting handball receives despite the fact we'd rather have the ball in a somebody elses hands. He gets it so much because he works harder than anyone else. Boyd was disappointing for mine - fumbled, turned it over and missed quite a few tackles. Really wish he'd stop trying to kick the ball so hard and flat - it comes off 1/5 times.

Hahn simply needs a spell. He's in woeful form.

Minson had a solid game despite a few turn overs. He gave a good contest and ended up with a couple of goals. Wood did OK as Griff said, weighted a couple of long balls to Hall beautifully. Hill and Stack still a worry. Griffen wasn't at his best today but Cooney ran himself into the ground.

Morris did a great job on Fevola.

Nice win, but we still have plenty of areas we need to improve. Boyd and Hahn are two of our biggest problems at the moment to be honest. Hahn needs to be dropped and Boyd needs to stop playing fancy football and find that defensive edge again.

Also - Williams clutched at his hamstring in the second quarter and didn't re-appear. It didn't look too bad after the game, but I'm not sure the extent of his injury.

AndrewP6
13-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Dogs by 65
First goal- Hill
BOG- Hahn

Great call! :)

bornadog
13-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Also - Williams clutched at his hamstring in the second quarter and didn't re-appear. It didn't look too bad after the game, but I'm not sure the extent of his injury.

Lower back related hammy.

AndrewP6
13-06-2010, 08:41 PM
A much improved effort this week. We looked sharper (than the previous fortnight) from the start, and managed to fend the Aslans off when the came at us for a mini-run. Great to see some quick movement back, crisp handpasses and some good kicks. I thought our defensive efforts were good, we seemed to have some more hunger. Shame we let them back in for a while, but good to put it out of reach.

Murph's return was welcome, he moved well and was his creative self. Cooney's work was terrific around the ball, he's dangerous on the move. Some of his kicks forward aren't flash though. I thought Morris was great on Dickhead - sorry, Fevola. Took front position, made Fev drop his head and start bagging his teammates - music to our ears! I thought WILLLBUR was good today, took some strong marks and converted a few. Made some mistakes, as he does, but did well. Funny hearing him on Triple M, they asked about his love of jazz music, and whether he's getting his teammates interested. Will made the comment that they wouldn't understand it, because "most of them are pretty stupid" :D

Wood did a few good things, might benefit from more time - trouble is, we've got a few to come back into the side. Despite a couple of goals, I wasn't that impressed with Stack. Even from Level 3, I could see him pull back from a couple of contested ball situations. Hill not in the game much either.
Another great game from BAZZA! His team-oriented play is something that all his teammates can learn from. I think I heard that he was involved in 14 scores - that's terrific. Not to mention his 6 majors...

G-Mo77
13-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Gee that second quarter was something I didn't want to see. I still think it's our biggest problem, lapsing for 15 - 20 minutes and letting teams back in or getting away. That being said they put the foot down and drove over them in the second half.

The good.

Loved Hall's game today. If it wasn't for some horrible umpiring decisions he would have had 8. I would have liked if he was a little more selfish though. He took 2 marks right on 50 and passed them off to players who were 5 metres better off. I think it was Griff and Gia, enither resulted in goals. If it was 15 - 20 metres then sure but I just didn't see the point in it.

I thought Minson was great today. Yes there were a couple of Minson moments but overall I think he was really good. He's starting to hold some of those contested marks which is a really good sign.

Morris was like a glove. Loved seeing him towel up that idiot.

Murphy at half back is his position IMO. When you have guys like him and Gilbee bringing the ball into our forwards good things will happen because they make the right decisions.

Cooney was brilliant. Griffen really had some nice deep kicks to our forwards (I'd wish our forwards would use the open space behind them a lot more!) and Cross was also very good.

The Bad.

Bad signs for Hahn. I've always been a fan of the guy but he is just not up to it at the moment. I think Johnno takes his spot.

Stack, I don't know? Looking at his stats he did OK but still needs to go a lot harder when that ball is there to be won. Maybe I'm pin pointing him to much.

Williams injury. On the radio they said it was a back related Hammy and he should be right for next week. I'd like to think that but this is Tommy we are talking about. Give him a spell for the split round and let him get over it. Hargrave to take his spot next week.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Pretty Good effort today and hope to continue with the same effort week in week out

Stack needs to go harder and lower for the ground ball, needs to watch how desperate Cross is and follow his lead

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Pretty Good effort today and hope to continue with the same effort week in week out

Stack needs to go harder and lower for the ground ball, needs to watch how desperate Cross is and follow his lead

Geez I agree with this!
I do like Stack and look forward to seeing his carer take off in the future, but he does need to grow some balls! He backed out of a possible goal today and pulled out of 3 contests last week which were vital.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Anyone else sick of hearing that Fev had a shocker and not that Morris killed him???
Give Dale some credit! Fev wouldn't need a shower after this game cause Morris gave him a bath!

GVGjr
13-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Terrific comeback by Murphy today and certainly I think the back line suits him at the moment.

He just seems so much better with his skills and decision making as a defender.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Anyone else sick of hearing that Fev had a shocker and not that Morris killed him???
Give Dale some credit! Fev wouldn't need a shower after this game cause Morris gave him a bath!

I think "The Glove" is always underrated when he keeps a "star" quiet! Those who watch Dale week in and week out know just how hard he works - Fev is always going to be more in the limelight - that's just the way of it, I reckon!

anfo27
13-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Really liked bobby's game today, it was good to see him back and using the ball really well. Liked big minnows game also.

Happy with out effort and intensity but still think a forward line is a worry.

Stack has to go, i have never seen a footballer refuse to go when it is his turn as much as this kid. The kid has some pace and can kick the ball pretty well but other than that nothing he brings to the table is anywhere near AFL standard. The quicker he is dropped the better our team will be.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 11:12 PM
We certainly look a better side with a fit Murphy playing - he is just such a natural "footballer" IMO - great skills and balance and a pleasure to watch when he is on song. Was also pleased to see Wilbur do well in a milestone game for him. Took a great mark that had me off my seat!

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Suprised noone has mentioned the crowd today!

Just over 30k what a great effort! I know Brisbane have a good following in Melbourne but i was shocked to see that many there!

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Suprised noone has mentioned the crowd today!

Just over 30k what a great effort! I know Brisbane have a good following in Melbourne but i was shocked to see that many there!

Looked like a great crowd on the tv!
Seems like the support group has developed strongly over the past few years :)

giaco
13-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Loved Hall's game today. If it wasn't for some horrible umpiring decisions he would have had 8. I would have liked if he was a little more selfish though. He took 2 marks right on 50 and passed them off to players who were 5 metres better off. I think it was Griff and Gia, enither resulted in goals. If it was 15 - 20 metres then sure but I just didn't see the point in it.

This is true. And also the habit of marking 40 out and handballing back to Gilbee to shoot from 50+, and he just keeps missing them this year.

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 12:47 AM

The people that count know so not worried about what the commentators are saying

chef
14-06-2010, 06:28 AM
I think "The Glove" is always underrated when he keeps a "star" quiet! Those who watch Dale week in and week out know just how hard he works - Fev is always going to be more in the limelight - that's just the way of it, I reckon!

Morris has his measure, Fev only averages 2 goals a game when playing on him.

Bulldog Joe
14-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Morris has his measure, Fev only averages 2 goals a game when playing on him.

Yet Cometti expressed surprise that Lake was not given the job.

Obviously Dennis spends too much time researching his one liners and not the the understanding that the dedicated fans have.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-06-2010, 09:36 AM
This is true. And also the habit of marking 40 out and handballing back to Gilbee to shoot from 50+, and he just keeps missing them this year.

I've a feeling he (and the rest of the team) will start to get it right towards the business end.

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Crawf gave Morris a 9.5 out of 10 on Triple M post match wrap.

bornadog
14-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Morris was given second top votes by The Age, after Hall.

mighty_west
14-06-2010, 02:54 PM

They also gave Fev worst on ground..:D

Chicago1
14-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I was able to watch the match live on ESPN3 online for the first time in a few weeks and enjoyed every minute, well, maybe not all of the 2nd quarter.;)

The team really seemed to be sparked up for the match. I loved the great start after the disappointing ones we've had recently. Why can't that Doggies team play every week?

My brother was visiting for the weekend and even he watched part of the match on his laptop. Next... I plan to convert him to this foreign religion by next season! Maybe there might even be a Chicago2 posting on here one of these days. :D

Scorlibo
14-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Stack has to go, i have never seen a footballer refuse to go when it is his turn as much as this kid. The kid has some pace and can kick the ball pretty well but other than that nothing he brings to the table is anywhere near AFL standard. The quicker he is dropped the better our team will be.

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Hill? Stack does have some areas he needs to work on, but he just seems to offer so much more to the side than Josh Hill whose only use is the occasional clever mark.

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 06:58 PM
THey both aren't really pulling their weight atm

bornadog
15-06-2010, 12:02 AM
THey both aren't really pulling their weight atm

yeah, Hill is the second highest goal kicker for us, just not good enough;) and has contributed another 4, and Stack has 8 goals and 6 goal assists in 6 games.

You can't expect these players to rack up 25 to 30 disposals, if they can get and also manufacture 2 to 3 goals each every week, then they are doing their job.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Most the goals i bet are in the games we won by 50+ points. I would rather 1 goal each in the Saints or Pies game. Rather then 3-4 goals each in a Tigers, Lions, Swans game...

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 09:16 AM
I was able to watch the match live on ESPN3 online for the first time in a few weeks and enjoyed every minute, well, maybe not all of the 2nd quarter.;)

The team really seemed to be sparked up for the match. I loved the great start after the disappointing ones we've had recently. Why can't that Doggies team play every week?

My brother was visiting for the weekend and even he watched part of the match on his laptop. Next... I plan to convert him to this foreign religion by next season! Maybe there might even be a Chicago2 posting on here one of these days. :D

I hear you on 774ABC, and have wondered how we managed to convert you to AFL, and especially the Doggies? Would be good for you to convert some more over there in the USA!:D

anfo27
15-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Hill? Stack does have some areas he needs to work on, but he just seems to offer so much more to the side than Josh Hill whose only use is the occasional clever mark.

Am i confusing him with Hill? lets see, the bloke I am talking about wears number 18, doesn't ever put his body in, only scores goals when its handballed to him in the clear and doesn't put any forward pressure at all. Is that Stack or am i confusing him with the bloke that has kicked the second most goals for our team for the year?

anfo27
15-06-2010, 11:56 AM
yeah, Hill is the second highest goal kicker for us, just not good enough;) and has contributed another 4, and Stack has 8 goals and 6 goal assists in 6 games.

You can't expect these players to rack up 25 to 30 disposals, if they can get and also manufacture 2 to 3 goals each every week, then they are doing their job.

Can't agree with that. Stack is in the side for forward pressure and doesn't put any forward pressure from what i can see. His goals come from other players hard work and gets given the ball on a platter in the clear. He needs to tackle and put pressure on the opposition defensive runners, if he can do that and score no goals i will be happy.

BulldogBelle
15-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Did you see Stack's fantastic goals on Sunday.

First was a mark right in front of goal from Hall's mis-kick. Talk about being in the wrong place at the right time. The other was from a hand-off from Gia, right in front of goals as well. Nothing wrong with being fortuitous. If he keeps on having such great luck I might have to change my opinion of him.

I think that he probably would have done better than my grandmother though.

Some people gave Stack votes? Probably the same people who gave Cross votes ahead of Cooney in Cooney's Brownlow year. Just look at the stats and went wow, he must of played well.

chef
15-06-2010, 01:26 PM

They were pretty good, he is very clean kicking at goals which stood out in a team that kicked 19 behinds. I also liked his leading, marking and presenting across half forward too, which allowed us to keep Murphy down back. He also kick a few times to the hole in front of goal but no one call out to mark the ball.

Mantis
15-06-2010, 01:43 PM

First was a mark right in front of goal from Hall's mis-kick. Talk about being in the wrong place at the right time. The other was from a hand-off from Gia, right in front of goals as well. Nothing wrong with being fortuitous. If he keeps on having such great luck I might have to change my opinion of him.

I thought it was from Minson's mis-kick.

Mofra
15-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I thought it was from Minson's mis-kick.
It was Minson's beautifully weighted pass, sneakily disguised as a miskick :D

w3design
16-06-2010, 03:56 PM
It was Minson's beautifully weighted pass, sneakily disguised as a miskick :D

Followed up by that sneakily disguised look of disgust at the kick. ;)