PDA

View Full Version : Round 13 - Team Changes

bornadog
13-06-2010, 08:45 PM
In: Johnno, Ward, Everitt

Out: Williams (inj.), Moles, Hahn

Mitch has lost touch and needs to find form at Willi. Stack and Hill still lucky to be in, but plenty of upside.

divvydan
13-06-2010, 08:53 PM
For mine it would be;

In: Hargrave (if fit, otherwise Everitt)
Out: Williams (inj)

Give Ward and Johnno the chance to play another game each at Williamstown so that they're fully fit by the time they come back into the senior team. Would've been better if Williamstown played both weekends of the split round but that's not the case.

If Ward comes in, it should be for Moles, if Johnson comes in it should be for Stack.

Remi Moses
13-06-2010, 09:00 PM
In- Hargrave Johnson

out Williams Stack

Go_Dogs
13-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd really like to see Hargrave play at Williamstown for a week before coming back. (I know with the split round etc this might not be the best idea?)

I think 2 changes this week:

In: Ward, Johnson

Out: Moles, Hahn

But more likely one of Hill or Stack (or both) may find themselves out of the side.

Eagleton drifted in and out a bit, but started fairly well and laid a few solid tackles. If he can sustain that effort he stays.

Mofra
13-06-2010, 09:06 PM
In: Shaggy
Out: Williams

Johnson & Ward to be given an extra game at Willy. Stack & Moles must be nervous about their spots with those two coming back.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 09:08 PM
What I want to happen;

Out: Williams, Hahn, Stack or Hill
In: Johnno, Everitt, Shaggy

No need to rush Cal back in Perth..

What I expect;

Out: Williams, Stack/Hill
In: Shaggy, Johnno

AndrewP6
13-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I think Johhson needs another week for fitness, but they bought him back quickly early in the season, so...
Likewise Ward -I'd love to see him in, but he's missed so much time.

In - Hargrave (or Everitt if Shaggy's not right)
Out - Williams

Stack and Hill very lucky. If Johnno/Ward get up, either or both of them should go back to Willy.

Topdog
13-06-2010, 09:50 PM
I would just make the 1 change and that would be Hargy back in for Williams (inj).

Give Stack another go on the big ground where his pace could help. Also gives Johnno another week to get some fitness and I think we should wait on Ward for another week. He has missed 10 weeks, no need to rush him back in.

GVGjr
13-06-2010, 09:54 PM
A week ago there was a fair old call for wholesale changes and at the moment it's back to a few nominal ones. Does one win really make that much of a change?

Ghost Dog
13-06-2010, 09:59 PM
A week ago there was a fair old call for wholesale changes and at the moment it's back to a few nominal ones. Does one win really make that much of a change?

Good point. Against one of the most poorly performing teams in the comp I might add.

Ghost Dog
13-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I would just make the 1 change and that would be Hargy back in for Williams (inj).

Give Stack another go on the big ground where his pace could help. Also gives Johnno another week to get some fitness and I think we should wait on Ward for another week. He has missed 10 weeks, no need to rush him back in.

Agreed. Especially as Next week we are up against the Weagles. Need some lean mean aggression like Picken and Ward in the team. How good was Picken going toe to toe with Fev? I love that kid.

GVGjr
13-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Candidates to come in include:

Everitt, Tiller, Ward and Johnson ( I don't think Hargrave will be ready)

Candidates to be dropped include:

Williams (because of his injury), Hahn, Eagleton, Moles and Stack

The outs aren't necessarily based on today's performance but looking at the last few weeks.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Im sure Jonno will come in and God help anyone saying he can't play. Biscuits out for the week, so i think Skinny will play for Biscuits and Stack dropped for the Captain.

Mitch, Eagle, Hill will get another crack and the large ground will help them run into form.

jazzadogs
13-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I think Johhson needs another week for fitness, but they bought him back quickly early in the season, so...
Likewise Ward -I'd love to see him in, but he's missed so much time.

In - Hargrave (or Everitt if Shaggy's not right)
Out - Williams

Stack and Hill very lucky. If Johnno/Ward get up, either or both of them should go back to Willy.
Johnno/Ward aren't allowed to return due to fitness issues, yet Hargrave is straight back in? He's had two weeks out, and did not seem right before he had those two weeks off. Out of the three of them, I'd be more inclined to keep him out one week longer/let him play with Willy.

I'd like Everitt in for Williams, Ward for Moles (nothing wrong with Moles game, but he's at the bottom of the midfield pecking order) and Stack for Johnno. It's either Hahn or Stack, but Hahn plays a different role to Johnno.

AndrewP6
13-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Johnno/Ward aren't allowed to return due to fitness issues, yet Hargrave is straight back in? He's had two weeks out, and did not seem right before he had those two weeks off. Out of the three of them, I'd be more inclined to keep him out one week longer/let him play with Willy.

Johnno's return is more risky given his age, Ward's because of the nature of the injury. And neither have had much game time in 2010. Shaggy's had a couple out, so unless the injury is more serious than we're aware of, put him in. Sure he's been down, but the fortnight off could be just the tonic for him. Of course, if he's doubtful (to the medical staff) at all, leave him on the shelf.

Before I Die
13-06-2010, 10:35 PM

No, but it does put things back into a realistic perspective.

I may be the only one on this forum who is not a Shaggy fan, but i would like to see him show some form in the VFL before returning to the senior team. I would rather see Everitt come in for the injured Williams, he would give us more run and could alternate with Hahn forward and back. Tiller could be another option.

After a 65 point win, that's the only change I would make. Quite a few guys will be playing for their spot next week with Johnson, Ward and others laying claims to a spot after the mid season break.

LostDoggy
13-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I would like to see Everitt for Williams if he is injured. I don't agree with bringing either Ward or Johnno back for a road trip to WA - let's give them another week at Willie and bring them back after the spilt round.

mjp
13-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I think it is VERY important both Ward and Johnson make the trip to Perth.

Mantis
13-06-2010, 11:37 PM

Why?

Topdog
13-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Well the Eagle played pretty well today and he actually kicked the ball 50m twice so you surely have to give him another game esp. as it is in Perth. If he has his kicking power back than he is in our best 22 IMO.

Hahn again wasn't that good but if they haven't dropped him yet they never will.

Stack's pace should be useful in Perth and I'd like to see Johnno given a 2nd week in the 2's to gain fitness / confidence.

Moles, see Stack but replace Johnno with Ward.

If Hargrave isn't fit than bring in Everitt but surely you don't make too many changes from a team that performed well for 3 and a half quarters (2 quarters more than any other game this year).

And when 2 of the possible inclusions are returns from LTI's a week before a break why would you risk it?

KT31
13-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Candidates to come in include:

Everitt, Tiller, Ward and Johnson ( I don't think Hargrave will be ready)

Candidates to be dropped include:

Williams (because of his injury), Hahn, Eagleton, Moles and Stack

The outs aren't necessarily based on today's performance but looking at the last few weeks.

If the Eagle hasn't been dropped on passed perfomances he certainly won't be dropped this week.
In : Johnno and Everitt
Out : Williams and Wood
Give Ward and Shaggy another week or two

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I thought Hahn was better this week so i don't think he will get dropped

Johnno is certain to come in if he pulls up ok with williams going out

I would drop Hill for hargrave as i don't think he does enough when the heat is on and although i don't have stats i am guessing that most his goals this year have come when the game is either already won or lost

I think Ward will come in cause we have really lacked his hardness this year and think that moles may go out

bornadog
14-06-2010, 12:47 AM
If the Eagle hasn't been dropped on passed perfomances he certainly won't be dropped this week.
In : Johnno and Everitt
Out : Williams and Wood
Give Ward and Shaggy another week or two

Why drop Wood?

I thought he played well, picked up 16 disposals including 4 inside 50's. Showed a bit of pace and can kick long on the run. He came in to replace Addison, and really they are chalk and cheese. Addison will be lucky to get back in if Wood continues to play like that.

chef
14-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Any chance Boumann may get a look in as a third tall replacement for Williams?

Go_Dogs
14-06-2010, 09:25 AM

I guess I'm one in this camp, and my selections above were more inline with what I think may happen.

Given we are playing out at Perth this week, it might not be a great week for Skinny to come in (although there could be an argument he'd give us more run than Hahn anyway). That then gives him another opportunity or two up forward with Williamstown to continue with that experiment.

Hahn is questionable. It was probably one of his better games for a few weeks, but I still think we have better options (see above) but the MC could probably justify one more chance up in Perth and then maybe a few weeks off around the break for Hahn to freshen up.

Eagleton rewarded the MC's faith with a solid performance. That needs to be his minimum week in, week out IMO. As soon as he dips, he's gone.

Stack was lively and did a few good things. I think he's continuing to improve and is one I want us to continue to persist with for as long as we can this season to see how rapidly he may improve.

Hill is Hill and always does a few good things and is a player that I'm loathe to drop at this stage, until we have more goal kicking options.

Moles will come under the pump if Ward is ready, even though I thought Moles was OK on the weekend. He looks to be improving to, and is another I'd be prepared to see play a few more games in a row if possible.

Reid I guess is another player getting close to being ready, but again, given the match is in Perth, if he's not quite running at 100%, we don't want him in just yet. He should be a good option after the break though.

Hargrave I'd like to see play a game or two at Williamstown as his form hasn't been great - be good to get some game time under his belt first.

Hence I think it might be a fairly conservative week at selection.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Im sure Jonno will come in and God help anyone saying he can't play. Biscuits out for the week, so i think Skinny will play for Biscuits and Stack dropped for the Captain.

Mitch, Eagle, Hill will get another crack and the large ground will help them run into form.

I thought he was on a good contract.:)

IN Everitt
OUT Tommy Gun

Sockeye Salmon
14-06-2010, 10:14 AM
In: Johnson, Ward, Hargrave, Everitt
Out: Williams, Hahn, Eagleton, Hill

Hahn was very good yesterday, but guess what? I don't care.

We beat up an understrength Lions, Hahn and Eagleton were born for games like that, but we all know when Geelong, Freo and even Carlton and Hawthorn games coming up they will be found out again.

I thought Stack has been better than Hill so he gets the nod.

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 10:44 AM
IN: Johnno, Ward, Everitt

OUT: Williams, Hill, Moles

Ozza
14-06-2010, 10:47 AM
The players that are clearly our weakest links at the moment are;

Eagleton; Hahn; Stack and to some extent Hill also.

I'd have thought they would be methodically worked out of the side as Johnson, Ward, Hargrave and Higgins return.

Everitt should be in, and I guess Aker may well get back in at some point. Its just a matter of timing, and when players are scheduled to be back from injury.

For this week - as TCD mentioned to me at the game - they surely couldn't take Hahn to play at Subiaco. Williams will miss. I don't think eagle should be in - but he'll survive due to Subiaco actually suiting him and our injuries.

I'd be inclined to go:

Out: Williams (inj); Hahn; Stack (I don't mind Stack - but he seems to have lost confidence in attacking the ball).
In: Everitt; Johnson, Hargrave & Ward if they are ready - but I'm taking a stab that only 2 of those 3 would be back. If all three are back...maybe Eagle could be edged out!

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I think Hanh's lack of leg speed will be really exposed at Subi. I feel the guy although got a few touches is really struggling. His kicking has really dropped off and his touch has been poor. Needs to get some confidence and maybe a rest this week plus the break is what Mitch needs.

Everitt for Hanh
Hargrave/Boumann for Williams. Or Ward in as an extra midfield rotation on the bigger Subi. All depends on matchups.

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hahn needs to be dropped. Love him, but it needs to be done.

Ozza
14-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Williams would have been handy v West Coast.

Ideally, Morris plays on 'The Frenchman', and the Eagles have Kennedy down forward, plus any mix of Lynch, Hansen, Brown & McKinley (all depending on who is in at the time - but seems to change weekly). So they definitely have height.

azabob
14-06-2010, 11:05 AM
My main concern this week is W/C forward line of LeCras, Kennedy, McKinnley and possibly Lynch and their rucks of Cox and Natinui ontop of their run. Granted Eagles are in poor form but they did beat us twice last year. If Lynch plays who picks up the leading players McKinley and LeCras? IMO will be an interesting week at match commitee.

IN Reid, Everitt
out Williams, Hahn

mjp
14-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Why?

Because it is the only game I get to see.

DOG GOD
14-06-2010, 03:18 PM
I think playing Johnno and ward on the Subiaco ground would be a risk so saying that i would go -

IN: Everitt

Johnno, Ward, Reid and Hargrave to be in the mix after the break.

Hahn, Stack, Hill and Eagleton to start shaking in their boots :)

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I agree with Dog God (nice name by the way) in that I'd give Johnson and Ward those extra couple of weeks off. With a trip to Perth and then the week off it's the perfect way to get them ready for the second half of the year. No sense in risking them, especially since it's at Subi. If it was in Melbourne i'd probably play them both. Shame about Williams though, although since it's only a strain he should be fine after the break. Give Everitt another go. Apart from Le Cras and Kennedy it's not like they have the most dangerous forwardline in the world.

Rocco Jones
14-06-2010, 03:51 PM

All about the oppositon we play. So many of the guys myself and others wanted are flat track bully types. They look good enough against the teams that make up the numbers but keep on letting us down in the big games.

Eade is so conservative that it takes a large amount of poor games in a row before he considers dropping a senior player (or at least I assume it would take that as he doesn't drop senior players). As long as we play a non top four side every month, Eade will find a reason to play them.

KT31
14-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Why drop Wood?

I thought he played well, picked up 16 disposals including 4 inside 50's. Showed a bit of pace and can kick long on the run. He came in to replace Addison, and really they are chalk and cheese. Addison will be lucky to get back in if Wood continues to play like that.

After a second look at the game and taking a bit more notice of Wood,I agree he did play quite well but IMO our MC does has a habit of playing kids for a match then dropping them.
Hopefully he will stay in the team and the MC will drop Stack or the Eagle

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 04:19 PM
After a second look at the game and taking a bit more notice of Wood,I agree he did play quite well but IMO our MC does has a habit of playing kids for a match then dropping them.
Hopefully he will stay in the team and the MC will drop Stack or the E.agle

I think thats changed abit with Stack in the team, and Grant but Grants playing good at the moment.

GVGjr
14-06-2010, 04:19 PM
All about the oppositon we play. So many of the guys myself and others wanted are flat track bully types. They look good enough against the teams that make up the numbers but keep on letting us down in the big games.

Eade is so conservative that it takes a large amount of poor games in a row before he considers dropping a senior player (or at least I assume it would take that as he doesn't drop senior players). As long as we play a non top four side every month, Eade will find a reason to play them.

I don't disagree however, if we should have dropped them a week or two ago there seems to have been a big change of heart because of a win against an undermanned side.

Even with the win and and an injury to Williams I would have thought a couple of changes are still needed.

Nothing wrong with a conservative approach when we are winning or playing well but I'd like to think we can still tweak the team as more players are coming back into consideration like Everitt, Ward, Johnson, Hargrave and Reid.

DOG GOD
14-06-2010, 04:37 PM
GVGjr, i feel that those changes u speak of will come after the break when players like the ones u mentioned will come into major consideration and play an important part in our tilt into the finals.

Everitt, Ward, Johnson, Hargrave, Reid and Higgins will ALL come back into the side at some point i feel.

Eagleton, Stack, Hill, Hahn, Moles and Wood will REALLY have to string some great games together to keep their place in the team.

GVGjr
14-06-2010, 05:06 PM
GVGjr, i feel that those changes u speak of will come after the break when players like the ones u mentioned will come into major consideration and play an important part in our tilt into the finals.

Everitt, Ward, Johnson, Hargrave, Reid and Higgins will ALL come back into the side at some point i feel.

Eagleton, Stack, Hill, Hahn, Moles and Wood will REALLY have to string some great games together to keep their place in the team.

I'm not advocating heaps of changes but an Everitt in and a Williams out (forced) is a far cry from what people were demanding a few weeks back.
I'd be look for 2 more changes

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm not advocating heaps of changes but an Everitt in and a Williams out (forced) is a far cry from what people were demanding a few weeks back.

Agree.

OUT: Williams (inj), Hahn, Stack
IN: Hargrave, Everitt, Ward

LostDoggy
14-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Agree.

OUT: Williams (inj), Hahn, Stack
IN: Hargrave, Everitt, Ward

Ditto for me. Espeically don't want Johnno to play at Subi. And Ward can have another week set to be back for the Hawks game.

Jasper
14-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Liked the run Murphy and Wood provided off half back. Don't think Hargrave should come straight back in. And personally don't think Subi is the game to bring back players coming off injury. SSS (Short Steps Stack) will no doubt play as he didn't get dropped after Collingwood so he may well be undroppable (at least while others are unfit).

A question - did anyone see Hahn's second efforts on the weekend...? I thought not, he moves like a geriatric glacier. Will not cope on Subi, should not play again unless we are decimated by injury - which we won't be after the break.

And don't talk to me about resting fit and firing players, Weagles beat us twice last year and have just lost to Tigerland, you can't tell me Woosha hasn't put a rocket up them for next week.

So my preference:

Out: Williams, Hahn
In: Everitt, anyone who can run

Actually, when it comes to putting a player in apart from Everitt and if you rule out players returning from injury....Hahn stays in...I don't believe it...

So my preference will no doubt accord with what I think our conservative MC would do.

In: Everitt

If it wasn't in Subi and if our good players were a bit fitter, I would wield a scythe...looking at Eagle, Hahn, Stack and Moles as outs - Higgins, Akermanis, Johnson and Ward as ins - Hargrave, Williams, Everitt and Hill to duke it out for the last two spots)

By the way, I know Boyd is untouchable, but gee his disposal has been shocking.

The Coon Dog
14-06-2010, 09:17 PM
By the way, I know Boyd is untouchable, but gee his disposal has been shocking.

Mantis, you have a convert! ;)

Jasper
14-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Mantis, you have a convert! ;)

Love Boyd's hardness at the contest...but his disposal by foot...

Well I hope it improves.

becmatty
15-06-2010, 03:28 AM
After a win like that, two changes will be the maximum.

We have some serious quality who are set to return, so reintroducing them two at a time would be a good way to get the balance right.

Perhaps something like this:

Round 13
In: Hargreave, Everitt

Round 14: Ward, Johnson

Round 15: Akermanis, Higgins

...And perhaps Williams, Roughhead and Reid will force their way back in too...

So, with that in mind, the six players most vulnerable to make way for them in order are:
Williams (forced change), Stack, Moles, Wood, Hill, Eagleton. Injuries and form fluctuations will probably make this redundant in a week's time though!...

Desipura
15-06-2010, 10:08 AM
In: Johnno, Ward, Everitt

Out: Williams (inj.), Moles, Hahn

Mitch has lost touch and needs to find form at Willi. Stack and Hill still lucky to be in, but plenty of upside.
I will play Devils advocate and say Hahn had 3 goal assists on Sunday, all to Hall.

Desipura
15-06-2010, 10:11 AM
You may have mistaken what changes posters wanted as opposed to what will actually happen. Well in my case anyway....
I still think Hill, Stack, Eagleton and Hahn are lucky to be in the side.

Mofra
15-06-2010, 10:25 AM
For the love of god I hope Wood doesn't get dropped (although it has been mentioned on this thread). A bloke who can run hard & kick long is very important in today's game, but moreso at Subi.
Wood looks like a classic confidence player, and giving him a licence to run and a few weeks to find his feet will do his development wonders.

Mantis
15-06-2010, 10:33 AM
For the love of god I hope Wood doesn't get dropped (although it has been mentioned on this thread). A bloke who can run hard & kick long is very important in today's game, but moreso at Subi.
Wood looks like a classic confidence player, and giving him a licence to run and a few weeks to find his feet will do his development wonders.

Agree with that.

Wood was a real positive out of Sunday's game and I can't see him not playing this week. The kid has worked hard to win a place in the team by playing some consistent footy in the VFL and then acquitted himself well when given his chance... he must play.

Jasper
15-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Ward did a footy clinic in Melton last week my brother in law was at.
He suggested he has been suffering from O.P. and was unlikely to play seniors for another month.

Whilst I think it is unlikely they will keep Johnno at Williamstown again, another week to gain match fitness plus the BYE should have him raring to go for the run to the finals. If we can't beat the Weagles without these two, we don't deserve to be near the Top 4.

Desipura
15-06-2010, 11:23 AM
He suggested he has been suffering from O.P. and was unlikely to play seniors for another month.

As you have mentioned, Ward wont be playing seniors for a little while yet.....
Johnno may come in for Stack and Everitt for Williams

Mantis
15-06-2010, 11:25 AM
As you have mentioned, Ward wont be playing seniors for a little while yet.....
Johnno may come in for Stack and Everitt for Williams

I would think that Ward wouldn't be that far off and should be further advanced than Johnson.

Desipura
15-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I would think that Ward wouldn't be that far off and should be further advanced than Johnson.
Unless things have changed, they are being very cautious with him. Having said that, the club initially planned for him to play 3 games in the ressies and 2 at Willi seniors, so never say never.
Im as keen as you and everyone else to see him out there, more importantly we want him fit and firing at the business end of the season

Curly5
15-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Ward back playing at Willi, then someone says he has OP... Rumours, rumours.
Gotta have Johnno back this week, then he can have a week off. :)

Big Cox says the Eagles' careers are on the line this week. Does that mean Woosha will sack them all, including himself, at 7.30pm on Sunday? ;)

In: Johnno

If they want to bring Ward and Hargrave back as well, probably Stack and Wood will have to make way, although I'd like to see more of Wood before too long.

Mantis
15-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Unless things have changed, they are being very cautious with him. Having said that, the club initially planned for him to play 3 games in the ressies and 2 at Willi seniors, so never say never.
Im as keen as you and everyone else to see him out there, more importantly we want him fit and firing at the business end of the season

They were very happy with him in his return game and would have been more so (from reports) in the game against Nth. Ballarat.

I guess they need to determine if it's suitable to bring him back for a game at Subiaco, but I think he is a good chance to return.

bornadog
15-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I will play Devils advocate and say Hahn had 3 goal assists on Sunday, all to Hall.

noticed that when watching the replay, may save him.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2010, 03:12 PM
noticed that when watching the replay, may save him.

I agree that he wasn't too bad on the weekend, but team balance also needs to come into the equation, and if we're bringing Johnson back in, I'm not sure Hahn has a place (especially on the bigger ground).

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I really want to see Everitt back in the side, i know he hasent set the world on fire at Williamstown, but he reminds me of Grant in that i think he plays better at the higher level and i see him as a important member of our side for the future.

Players that are boarderline for mine at the moment are

Eagleton was better this week and should retain his spot. He tackled well which is a good sign and he finally nailed one from outside 50, if only gilbee could regain this skill.

Hahn got alot more of it but his kicking is terrible, the shot for goal from 40 out was just like his old form. He needs to get his 2009 kicking back and quick.

Stack did some alright things but drifts in and out of the contest way to much.

Moles seems to do the same thing everytime he gets the ball, plays on runs 10 and kicks long, this works about 50% of the time, he is good at running the lines but can be caught out and needs to learn to lower his vision and find a target.

If the choice was mine

OUT Williams(inj), Moles
IN Everitt, Ward

Give Johhno untill the hawks game to get his body 100%

Hopefully we can get Shaggy, Johnno and Higgins back in the side by the Carlton game. Righ now id say Stack, Wood, Hahn and Eagleton would be the outs to accomodate them. But hopefully Eagleton can get last years form back and stay in the side, beacuse i think its something we have missed this year.

mjp
15-06-2010, 04:23 PM

With no disrespect to your brother in law, I have a closer connection to young Cal.

Desipura
15-06-2010, 04:24 PM
With no disrespect to your brother in law, I have a closer connection to young Cal.
Well then you would know that the plan initially was for him to play 3 games in the ressies and 2 games for Willi firsts.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Don't drop Easton! One game and he played well, backed himself after an early tight moment and burst through the centre to find Hall a few times. Think he offered more than Moles, whos' on shaky ground with BJ, Reid and others in the wings.

Mitch played better than he has for the last few weeks, but geez his disposal shocking. I know it has always been like Victorian weather but atm it's a majority that are scuffed or don't even get close to the target.

Wouldn't risk the injured players returning to Subi. Give them until after the break. Bring in Everitt for Williams. If Ev fails then Shaggy the round after.

The big test is for Eagleton to not have a quiet match. Against another out of form side he must perform like he did against Brisbane.

GVGjr
15-06-2010, 06:58 PM
You may have mistaken what changes posters wanted as opposed to what will actually happen. Well in my case anyway....
I still think Hill, Stack, Eagleton and Hahn are lucky to be in the side.

No, that point is not lost on me.

I'm saying that we should make a few more changes regardless that we won a game.

If we don't in 2 weeks time we could be coming off a win and have the likes of Ward, Johnson, Williams, Hargrave and maybe Reid pressing for senior selections. Whilst it's a good problem to have would we make 4 or 5 changes to a winning side?
Make 3 this week and possibly 3 the week after the bye.

choconmientay
15-06-2010, 07:10 PM
No, that point is not lost on me.

I'm saying that we should make a few more changes regardless that we won a game.

If we don't in 2 weeks time we could be coming off a win and have the likes of Ward, Johnson, Williams, Hargrave and maybe Reid pressing for senior selections. Whilst it's a good problem to have would we make 4 or 5 changes to a winning side?
Make 3 this week and possibly 3 the week after the bye.

I am with you on this. We should be able to manage our list really well for the next few weeks. We should start having some rest for star players and playing young guys to get them ready for September.

This way all players can have valuable afl game times under their belts. It is also a way to keep them fresh and happy. Nothing better than a happy bunch of players :)

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I see Everitt in for Williams, Ward/Johnno in for Moles,

In's Everitt , Ward/Johnno

Out's Williams, Moles

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Moles seems to do the same thing everytime he gets the ball, plays on runs 10 and kicks long, this works about 50% of the time, he is good at running the lines but can be caught out and needs to learn to lower his vision and find a target.

I recall this was a direction from Rocket after the NAB Cup he commented in a presser thast he considered that Moles handballed far too much and he would damage the opposition more if he kicked long.

I guess he is following instructions too well.

Rocco Jones
15-06-2010, 11:37 PM
His kicking is a liablity and he doesn't offer much value outside of playing on the ball, an area where we want our key players.

Desipura
16-06-2010, 09:53 AM
It wont happen however "gee it would be good to see Liam Jones play on a big ground at Subi."

Mantis
16-06-2010, 10:36 AM
In: Everitt, Ward

Out: Williams (inj.), Moles

------

I would give Johnson a couple of more weeks at Williamstown such that he is cherry ripe after the break. I don't think it sets a great precedence if you bring back players who have not shown they are able to play a full game in the VFL especially when you are heading to WA.

I guess if Hargrave is right to go he will come back, probably at the expense of one of Hill or Stack. (Personally I would also include Hahn & Eagleton, but I doubt either of them are likely to be demoted)

Topdog
16-06-2010, 11:53 AM
It wont happen however "gee it would be good to see Liam Jones play on a big ground at Subi."

Has he been in our best for Willi recently?

Desipura
16-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Has he been in our best for Willi recently?
What does that matter? Has never really mattered in the past.

The Coon Dog
16-06-2010, 02:23 PM
What does that matter? Has never really mattered in the past.

Desi, what is it about Liam Jones that so infatuates you? I have seen you call for his elevation frequently over the past few weeks.

LostDoggy
16-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Can't see Johnno playing 2 games at willi, I think if he going to play it will be in the game against the Eagles. A 75% fit Johnno is better then Stack and Hill at the moment.

Desipura
16-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Desi, what is it about Liam Jones that so infatuates you? I have seen you call for his elevation frequently over the past few weeks.
Infactuates is an interesting word you use. You know when some players know how to play a position? From the few times I have seen him, he is a natural centre half forward.
He is the type of player that dictates where he wants the ball to be kicked, as opposed to waiting for the ball carrier to tell him where to lead.
Long term, I see him marshalling our forward line.

I had a similar feeling when I saw Lenny Hayes play his first ever practice game against us at Sandringham. We were niggling him all day and he did not flinch one bit. That combined with his ability to find the ball and make the right choices by hand and foot impressed me immensely.
I made the outrageous comment after that game to my Saints mate that Lenny would captain their side one day.
I may be way off the mark with Jones, but I really like what I see of the young KPP.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Can't see Johnno playing 2 games at willi, I think if he going to play it will be in the game against the Eagles. A 75% fit Johnno is better then Stack and Hill at the moment.

With the week's break looming it would make sense to play both Johnson and Ward in Perth to give them both valuable game time.They would both be in our best team, so you are better off playing them. It would also provide a solid workout for the Hawthorn clash at the MCG in two weeks time This would mean leaving out Moles and either Stack or Hill. Hargrave if fit would be the logical replacement for the injured Williams. There appears to be a reluctance to play Everitt so there is every possibility of him missing out again.

bornadog
16-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Infactuates is an interesting word you use. You know when some players know how to play a position? From the few times I have seen him, he is a natural centre half forward.
He is the type of player that dictates where he wants the ball to be kicked, as opposed to waiting for the ball carrier to tell him where to lead.

I had a similar feeling when I saw Lenny Hayes play his first ever practice game against us at Sandringham. We were niggling him all day and he did not flinch one bit. That combined with his ability to find the ball and make the right choices by hand and foot impressed me immensely.
I made the outrageous comment after that game to my Saints mate that Lenny would captain their side one day.
I may be way off the mark with Jones, but I really like what I see of the young KPP.

Agree he is very impressive, but not sure if he is ready yet. Effectively this is his first year as he mainly played for Scotch last year.

Desipura
16-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Agree he is very impressive, but not sure if he is ready yet. Effectively this is his first year as he mainly played for Scotch last year.
I agree, however he is more ready than Grant was last season. A taste of senior footy is what I would like to see this season.

Bulldog Joe
16-06-2010, 08:18 PM
They were very happy with him in his return game and would have been more so (from reports) in the game against Nth. Ballarat.

I guess they need to determine if it's suitable to bring him back for a game at Subiaco, but I think he is a good chance to return.

On his game at Ballarat (and I did go and watch) Ward is ready to go. Was probably BOG despite having his game time managed and he looked better than ever. His vision, decision making and ball use was just fantastic.

Johnno went pretty well too.

I would bring them both in for Perth as they get a 2 week recovery and a little time in the warmer Perth air will not hurt either.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Infactuates is an interesting word you use. You know when some players know how to play a position? From the few times I have seen him, he is a natural centre half forward.He is the type of player that dictates where he wants the ball to be kicked, as opposed to waiting for the ball carrier to tell him where to lead.

I agree He's caught my eye in that same intuitive way. A natural who seems to feel like he owns the position.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 12:18 AM
I agree, however he is more ready than Grant was last season. A taste of senior footy is what I would like to see this season.

Maybe not but he might have a very good attitude where as i heard grant did not and maybe he neded to know how hard you have to work to make it.

I don't know but maybe Jones is a very hard worker on the track and knows what work ethic you need to make it

Desipura
17-06-2010, 09:39 AM
I agree He's caught my eye in that same intuitive way. A natural who seems to feel like he owns the position.
Totally agree and also because he leads in the right spots, the players will kick it to him. Along with his ability to take a contested mark, he has alot to work with.

Cyberdoggie
17-06-2010, 12:42 PM

This is probably the most logical choice.

I don't see any point in risking Johnson on a large ground that will require plenty of running from him. He would be better off playing at Williamstown and lifting his intensity a tad to see if he's right. Then he gets 2 weeks to recover for a return to the dogs.

There's no point in risking him. If he's going to hurt himself, then it will more than likely be over in the west.

Our win against Brisbane was the first time this year our backline appeared to have it's usual run and carry out of defence. I think we've been far too top heavy with non-creative players back there in Williams, Morris, Everitt Lake and an out of form/injured Hargrave. We've basically been playing with Gilbee and Harbrow as our only small running players.

Last week We had Harbrow, Gilbs, Wood and Murphy all contributing.

While Everitt probably isn't as mobile as we first hoped, he's at least capable and semi-confident of doing something positive with the ball, whereas Williams pretty much adds nothing. Regardless, like for like and a few larger WCE players might give him a recall.
I just hope we keep at least 3 of Wood, Gilbee, Harbrow and Murphy working in the backline.

I think Moles deserves another game. He didn't do anything wrong, just didnt' get a heap of disposals. He showed earlier in the year that he takes a couple of games to really hit his straps.

Ozza
17-06-2010, 01:16 PM
This is probably the most logical choice.

I don't see any point in risking Johnson on a large ground that will require plenty of running from him. He would be better off playing at Williamstown and lifting his intensity a tad to see if he's right. Then he gets 2 weeks to recover for a return to the dogs.

There's no point in risking him. If he's going to hurt himself, then it will more than likely be over in the west.

Our win against Brisbane was the first time this year our backline appeared to have it's usual run and carry out of defence. I think we've been far too top heavy with non-creative players back there in Williams, Morris, Everitt Lake and an out of form/injured Hargrave. We've basically been playing with Gilbee and Harbrow as our only small running players.

Last week We had Harbrow, Gilbs, Wood and Murphy all contributing.

While Everitt probably isn't as mobile as we first hoped, he's at least capable and semi-confident of doing something positive with the ball, whereas Williams pretty much adds nothing. Regardless, like for like and a few larger WCE players might give him a recall.
I just hope we keep at least 3 of Wood, Gilbee, Harbrow and Murphy working in the backline.

I think Moles deserves another game. He didn't do anything wrong, just didnt' get a heap of disposals. He showed earlier in the year that he takes a couple of games to really hit his straps.

Interested in your thoughts on why Johnson is more likely to get injured in WA? Would a bigger ground really impact on your likelihood of injury? I can understand if we were concerned by the hard surfaces of the Dome and the Gabba - I haven't heard that Subi is hard. Surely with more space on the ground - it is potentially a more free wheeling game with a little fewer contests & stoppages.

Agree with you on Everitt back in, and Moles to retain his spot. Wasn't wrapped with Moles' Collingwood game - but last week his decision making improved and more improvement as you suggested he might have after a couple of games back - wold see if have a good game. I like that he is generally fairly clean and kicks with depth going forward.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 02:54 PM

I share a similar feeling re: Jones. I saw him at a practice match earlier this year and he just looked like he was the real deal. Ran to the right spots, was always in the contest (in the air or on the ground) and just generally looked the part.
Cant wait to see him play in the seniors.

Sockeye Salmon
17-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Maybe not but he might have a very good attitude where as i heard grant did not and maybe he neded to know how hard you have to work to make it.

Rodney told me that Grant's attitude is excellent. He was frustrated that he couldn't put weight on, "the bloke works so hard, he's done everything we've ever asked of him, the poor bugger just can't put on weight".

OLD SCRAGGer
17-06-2010, 03:41 PM
" the poor bugger just can't put on weight".[/QUOTE]"

Poor bugger, wish I had that problem:D

ledge
17-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Tell him to get Foxtel and a few beers.

Desipura
17-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Rodney told me that Grant's attitude is excellent. He was frustrated that he couldn't put weight on, "the bloke works so hard, he's done everything we've ever asked of him, the poor bugger just can't put on weight".
Did anyone notice Grant run to the interchange bench in the 1st quarter when Hall took a mark just outside 50? There was open space in front of Grant. Instead of leading to that space, he kept running all the way to the bench! It was strange to say the least. Hall ended passing to Gia inside 50, Gia missed the goal.
A lesson for Grant, dont come off if you can take an uncontested mark inside the 50!

bornadog
17-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Did anyone notice Grant run to the interchange bench in the 1st quarter when Hall took a mark just outside 50? There was open space in front of Grant. Instead of leading to that space, he kept running all the way to the bench! It was strange to say the least. Hall ended passing to Gia inside 50, Gia missed the goal.
A lesson for Grant, dont come off if you can take an uncontested mark inside the 50!

Yes I remember that moment and thought the same thing.

Cyberdoggie
17-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Interested in your thoughts on why Johnson is more likely to get injured in WA? Would a bigger ground really impact on your likelihood of injury? I can understand if we were concerned by the hard surfaces of the Dome and the Gabba - I haven't heard that Subi is hard. Surely with more space on the ground - it is potentially a more free wheeling game with a little fewer contests & stoppages.

I guess it's not so much the surface (at least at the moment), but the size of the ground and the timing of his return.

Ok there is 2 possible scenarios:

(1) Johnson plays this week at subi. He's had 1 vfl game at North Ballarat (no doubt would have had limited time on ground), and will now line up on the biggest ground in the AFL with only 3/4 of a vfl game under his belt, after a long time off with a calf injury that has flared up on more than 1 occasion. He will then get 2 weeks to recover before the next game.

(2) Johnson plays a full (more game time and likely lifting his intensity) game at Williamstown this weekend on a small soft spongy and likely very wet and windy ground in Melbourne and then gives himself 2 weeks to recover and play AFL.

I guess i'm just sceptical that he has done enough hard running in preparation for a return at AFL level, and at subi he will have to do a lot of hard running. I'm also predicting that they would limit his game time, so that means the others players will have to carry the load. If we have any injuries or we go in without enough running players we could suffer.

mjp
17-06-2010, 06:05 PM
What about '3' CD?

mjp lives in Perth and wants to watch Johnno, therefore he should play? Having just started up a business he is not sure if he will get to Melbourne this year...

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Yes i agree that his attitude is great now but what i was getting at was that i think he did not realise how hard he would have to work to make it and i remember reading an article this preseason where he and a couple of other players went to some Army type camp and he came back with a completly different work ethic

Bumper Bulldogs
17-06-2010, 11:07 PM

Yes I agree here and with the lack of strength the Eagles have we could have taken the risk and rest anyone who is a little sore.

That said We don't have any form to play with so unless an injury to Hill, Stack or Mitch he will have to wait.

LostDoggy
19-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Interesting that Tiller didn't play after half time could he be on the plane with German?

The Coon Dog
19-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Interesting that Tiller didn't play after half time could he be on the plane with German?

Wouldn't Brodie Moles to the 23rd man taken to Perth just as insurance?

Tiller wasn't named as an emergency was he?

divvydan
19-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Tiller was still playing in the second half, it's just that the ball didn't go down there very often so he wasn't seen much

LostDoggy
19-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Tiller was still playing in the second half, it's just that the ball didn't go down there very often so he wasn't seen much

haha I must've lost him in the mud then.