PDA

View Full Version : Count the ways I hate you: Bruce McAvaney

Ghost Dog
15-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Sports commentators

Who is your favorite?
Who makes you want to hurl the remote at the TV?

Premier commentator: Dennis Commetti. As a former player and coach he actually has something to say and I like his often dry sense of humor.
Richo: Genuinely insightful and down to earth.

Wooden spooner:mad:: Bruce McAvaney!! grrrr The way this guy started bagging Will Minson ( first quarter , bris game) gave me the shits. Commetti actually had to shut him up.
In addition his commentary is all over the shop. In the last quarter he starts going on about how Will Minson ( again ) has had more possessions than Boyd ( !! ) Tim Watson then corrects him and tells him he is reading from the first quarter stat sheet. His commentary is really one sided eg: starts glorifying some players just because of their family name ( Oh the Selwoods blah blah ) instead of actually focusing what happens on field.
Comments like this: " Well the ability to kick goals is a deadly weapon for a forward" DUH!!!
The Ray Martin of AFL.

Anyway: Who do you love, who do you hate and why?

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm with you on Bwuce.

Fawns over the noted players and high profile clubs.

If he just gets another feeling that the next goal will tell the story of the match, I will throw up

Like with Robert Walls in the last 50 seconds of the Melbourne/Collingwood Draw - the next goal will win it !!!!!!!!!!!

FFS - and they actually pay the man to say these things.

alwaysadog
15-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm with you on Bwuce.

Fawns over the noted players and high profile clubs.

If he just gets another feeling that the next goal will tell the story of the match, I will throw up

Like with Robert Walls in the last 50 seconds of the Melbourne/Collingwood Draw - the next goal will win it !!!!!!!!!!!

They're a rare pair indeed, but the last time I listened to Jimmy Hird who was a great footballer, I thought I was listening to a commentary being specifically produced for beaming into various geriatric wards around the country.

Now Jimmy's not stupid, unlike the aforementioned whose brains deserted their heads years ago leaving them with no intelligent control over their mouths, so I can only guess that he's being told to talk down to a level that a preschooler would understand.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Loved: Rex Hunt. Not enough true characters left.
Hate: Bruce McAvaney. Same reasons as above. Not special or delicious in the slightest.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 05:14 PM
ROBERT " State the bleeding obvious " WALLS! What a flog

Cyberdoggie
15-06-2010, 05:18 PM

It was a Collingwood Melbourne game remember! :p

Cyberdoggie
15-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I think today's commentator's are too concerned with stats and facts rather than just commenting on the game.

I'm from the old school where i believe that their job is to make the game interesting with their comments.

Some of the games this year that were close finishes, you would be mistaken to think were one sided what with the mundane commentary.

Bruce crapaveny and Steven Quarterbrain annoy me. Their constant use of the "We have a XX point ball game here"
gives me the #$%^'s. It's not Baseball, honestly what is the difference between a 2 point game and a 2 point ball game?

Quarterbrain also likes to play nostradamus and predict when the game is over.
It might be the second quarter but if they kick this goal this game will be over!!!

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 05:27 PM
As far as commentators go, I can't stand the ones who yell & scream (ie. most of the Dribble M commentators) Anthony Hudson is another one.

I did notice watching the replay on Sunday night that Bruce McAvaney kept calling Daniel Giansiracusa 'Gian'. He's not Gian Rooney you idiot!!!! :mad:

jazzadogs
15-06-2010, 05:36 PM
As far as commentators go, I can't stand the ones who yell & scream (ie. most of the Dribble M commentators) Anthony Hudson is another one.

I did notice watching the replay on Sunday night that Bruce McAvaney kept calling Daniel Giansiracusa 'Gian'. He's not Gian Rooney you idiot!!!! :mad:
That was annoying me. I've never heard people call him Gian, it's always Gia. Obviously I don't know what it's like with his close friends, but you wouldn't think Bruce is a close friend anyway...

There really aren't many commentators I like. I did like Buckley, which upset me because I wanted to dislike him.

Tom Harley's alright.

EasternWest
15-06-2010, 05:46 PM
ROBERT " State the bleeding obvious " WALLS! What a flog

I hate Walls too, but to play DA a bit, our very own Luke Darcy also let slip the "next goal wins" line....

Ozza
15-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I dislike Rex Hunt's commentary. I get exasperated listening to him trying so desperately to be funny and work in his favourite lines. Recently I heard him describe someone as being 'leg before without offering a shot' - 3 times within 2 minutes - and I had no idea what he meant. He's not funny and he doesn't describe the game well at all if you actually want to know what's happening.

I also can't stand Dwayne Russell. He picks a team (usually the interstate team playing at home as he is usually in SA or Brisbane) and just blatantly barracks for them all day long.

I think BT is a good commentator. He is accurate, has good enthusiasm, doesn't seem biased and still has some colour about the way he calls the game.

Doc26
15-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Quartermain is totally trigger happy on ACLs with anyone going down having a season ending injury and in the next breath they will be up again and firing.

And I'm with Ozza on Dwanye Russell. Not sure what it is but he and even Dunstall always seem anti Dogs, possibly without knowing it.

The worst of all though I leave to Matt Campbell who has a great ability to make a highly professional game of AFL seniors sound like a D reserves grade country footy match.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Big fan of Dennis and his quirkyness..he's my favourite on TV and I enjoy listening to Brayshaw and BT on the radio.

Cannot stand the show-no-emotion-voice of Kelly? Underwood and also something about Hamish McLaughlin that makes me want to slap him in the head..and will never watch Gameday because he just seems too un-educated to me.

BulldogBelle
15-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I absolutely loathe McAvaney. He spoils the commentary. Often marginalises the club or players, treats us with contempt. I am angered because of him. If only ...

Denis Cometti is bright, often funny and tempers his criticisms. I like Denis. Don't always agree but he has respect.

Dunstall and Buckley are others who do not pay the dogs respect. Buckley is shocking, with him it is the How Good is Collingwood Show.

Hotdog60
15-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Everyone has forgotten Gerard Healy does he ever get a players name right.

Being old school I didn't mind

Tim Lane
Sandy Roberts
Peter Landy

hotdog
15-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Tim Lane
Sandy Roberts
Peter Landy[/QUOTE]

I was thinking a little "old school" today. Was remembering some great Saturday afternoon commentary on the radio The Coodabeens, score updates from Al Martello at Princess Park and Harry Bietzel. Sandy, Tim and Peter Landy were all very good on the Saturday night highlights show which you would rush back from the game for.

Curly5
15-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Always calls Matthew Boyd, BRAD Boyd, and guess what, it must be catching, as that is what Commetti called him on Sunday. Do they do it on purpose? Disrespectful.

McAvaney makes me cringe, Michael Christian is not bad. There's a difference between commentators and special comments. Do we lump them together? I agree with jazzadogs, Buckley was pretty good. Tom Harley isn't too bad either.

We always know when they make inaccurate statements about our players, eg Minson being a poor kick for goal - not true - so you have to wonder how accurate they are about other teams, not very I'd say.

Greystache
15-06-2010, 08:10 PM
I too loathe Bruce, I think the only one I hate more is Liam Pickering, unless it's a player he manages or failing that a Geelong player he has nothing positive to say about anyone. Him commentating a game is like listening to a 2 hour advertisement for him as a player manager and how he's the most important person in the AFL.

Ovatheboarder
15-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Absolutely Dwayne Russell.

As stated he is ex Port Adelaide and is just vommit inducing when commentating Power games.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Like:
Anthony Hudson - dunno what it is about him but he just does it for me, and everytime i hear ''Nick Davis, NICK DAVIS'' just sends shivers down my spine.
Dennis Cometti - Has the best calls in the business! Some of the calls are just ''Like a cord in the ocean''.

Dislike:
Wallsy - Bland and boring, can't stand the old guy and states the obvious way too many times. His special comments are not very special at all.
Bruce - Self explanatory

Flamethrower
15-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Bruce used to be ok but now he is just a senile old man, and he has sex on the brain. I hate the way he uses player's nicknames....cringeworthy.

Dwaynepipe Russell is another who I can't stand, and as for Kellie Underwood, if she is commentating the Saturday afternoon game on Ten I'll imediately switch to Foxtel. When she did our game recently, I watched the whole game on mute.

I have no time for Quarterbrain or FIGJAM Hutchinson either.

The commentators I like include Dennis Cometti and Matt Granland. I like the special comments of Tom Harley, Dermie and Mick Malthouse when he does the Friday night game on SEN. Matty Lloyd isn't too bad either.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm not a huge fan of any commentator really, most of them have annoying tendencies, but there are definitely some that are better than others.

I like Michael Christian and Anthony Hudson. Clinton Grybas was in a league of his own though, in my opinion. I know I'm in the minority here, but I used to enjoy Eddie McGuire's commentary (except during Collingwood matches). I don't mind Walls and Blight that much.

I can't stand Bruce McAvaney, seriously, 'Gian', what the hell? He's really awful, and I feel like Cometti's standard has fallen since joining channel 7. I have old games with him at channel 9 and the commentary team in general was just much better.

LostDoggy
15-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Going to sound like a boring old ..... person....... here, but I like listening to 774ABC - Gerard Whaitley, and Drew Morphett (and others I can't recall their names), with special comments people like Stan Alves, Mark McClure, Chris Grant, etc. TV - well, Bwuce leaves me cold, as does Dwayne. Commetti is okay I guess.:cool:

Ghost Dog
15-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Tim Lane
Sandy Roberts
Peter Landy

Right. Tim Lane is great. Just calls the game. A great radio commentator as he describes the game well. I have some great memories of being outside in summer with Tim Lane on the Radio.

Ghost Dog
15-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Bruce used to be ok but now he is just a senile old man, and he has sex on the brain. I hate the way he uses player's nicknames....cringeworthy.

Say what? Maybe you know something I don't! Do tell.

Remi Moses
15-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Gerard Whately master caller and thinker of the game

Remi Moses
15-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Going to sound like a boring old ..... person....... here, but I like listening to 774ABC - Gerard Whaitley, and Drew Morphett (and others I can't recall their names), with special comments people like Stan Alves, Mark McClure, Chris Grant, etc. TV - well, Bwuce leaves me cold, as does Dwayne. Commetti is okay I guess.:cool:

I agree entirely not over the top . I like Dermie as well,he paints a picture of procedings.

always right
15-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Like:
Commetti...bit of an ego but easy on the ear and entertaining. Captures the moment
Hudson...not amazing but pretty solid
Taylor...accurate with a sense of humour

Ummm, that's about it:eek:

Loathe:
Rex Hunt...perhaps the worst commentator ever, and a horrible bloke to boot
Tim Lane...used to love him on radio but he's become a complaining know-it-all.
Dwayne Russell...loves the sound of his own voice and argues for the sake of it
Malcoln Blight...drinks his own bathwater and reckons it tastes pretty good
Quartermaine...should be made to listen to himself occasionly. Irritating
McAvaney...passed him by.

Special comments:
Buckley was good
Lloyd is surprisingly good
Harley is okay
Schwartz is deplorable
Darcy is annoying
Brereton genuinely believes everyone is hanging off his every word

The Coon Dog
15-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I like Dermie as well,he paints a picture of procedings.

In a hundred words when ten would do.

always right
15-06-2010, 11:48 PM
In a hundred words when ten would do.

Couldn't agree more. Loves the sound of his own voice. What an ego.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2010, 12:14 AM
I can't stand Bruce McAvaney, seriously, 'Gian', what the hell? He's really awful, and I feel like Cometti's standard has fallen since joining channel 7. I have old games with him at channel 9 and the commentary team in general was just much better.

To Back up my claims here is a little Youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LAJvSenKIQ&feature=related

Cyril Riolio is "Delicious" according to Bruce!

LostDoggy
16-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Bruce used to be ok but now he is just a senile old man, and he has sex on the brain.

Flamethrower speaks the truth.

How many times over the years has Bruce called certain 'favourites' of his and sounded more like a naughty man in a trenchcoat peering through their bedroom window than a professional commentator calling a game of football?

Too many to count.

Remember "Skipper Kelly"? Remember "The King"? Remember "Bucks", "Vossy" and "Daics"? Oh yes, they were all 'special' in the eyes of one creepy little man.

I'd be willing to bet money that Clarkson makes a point of personally walking Cyril to his car whenever the Channel Seven trailer is in the car park after a Hawthorn game.

Chris Grant once had a shot after the siren at half time from seventy metres out on a tight angle at Subiaco. The Incredible Hulk couldn't have made the distance, but that's not how Bruce saw it. "Oh gee, you just think that Carey would have kicked that", he panted breathlessly while presumably giving himself a tickle.

Well as a matter of fact Bruce, you schmuck, no one on Earth was thinking that apart from you because no one else was doing the whole 'he loves me, he loves me not' thing with a daffodil when he should have just been calling a game that the 'he' in question wasn't even playing in.

I remember watching a Sydney v North Melbourne game once (Skipper Kelly v The King) and I felt so dirty listening to it that I needed a shower at half time.

Suffice to say; I am not a fan.

LostDoggy
16-06-2010, 01:19 AM
I agree with pretty much all of what people are saying but one other thing that shi%s me is when people like Tony Shaw and Tim Watson start explaining what a team should be doing or what they would do if they were in the coaches shoes. They were in a coaches shoes once, and they failed terribly.

stefoid
16-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I agree entirely not over the top . I like Dermie as well,he paints a picture of procedings.

Imparts every thought like it is carved on stone from Mt Siani, but at least he does try to give you some tactical insight into what is going on.

Thats all I want really, when Im watching tele, is to point out what I am missing by not being there.

I could put up with all of Macavenys rubbish if he actually had a clue.

stefoid
16-06-2010, 09:56 AM
While we are having a whine, I hate MMM radio commentary.

How do they fit all those schoolboy eogs into one commentary box? Seriously, if I wanted to hear a bunch of dopey teenage punks taking cheap shots at each other all day long, Id... well, I wouldnt and thats the point.

And dont get me started on @#$@# 'dukes'

Mantis
16-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Chris Grant once had a shot after the siren at half time from seventy metres out on a tight angle at Subiaco. The Incredible Hulk couldn't have made the distance, but that's not how Bruce saw it. "Oh gee, you just think that Carey would have kicked that", he panted breathlessly while presumably giving himself a tickle.

Kicked it from about 45m out on a 45deg.

We kicked 8 goals to nil in the first qtr, they did the same in the 2nd... we needed that goal to finish the half in front and on a good note... Grant missed.

Curly5
16-06-2010, 01:33 PM

How many times over the years has Bruce called certain 'favourites' of his and sounded more like a naughty man in a trenchcoat peering through their bedroom window than a professional commentator calling a game of football?

Too many to count.

Remember "Skipper Kelly"? Remember "The King"? Remember "Bucks", "Vossy" and "Daics"? Oh yes, they were all 'special' in the eyes of one creepy little man.

I'd be willing to bet money that Clarkson makes a point of personally walking Cyril to his car whenever the Channel Seven trailer is in the car park after a Hawthorn game.

Well as a matter of fact Bruce, you schmuck, no one on Earth was thinking that apart from you because no one else was doing the whole 'he loves me, he loves me not' thing with a daffodil when he should have just been calling a game that the 'he' in question wasn't even playing in.

I remember watching a Sydney v North Melbourne game once (Skipper Kelly v The King) and I felt so dirty listening to it that I needed a shower at half time.

That's hilarious, I won't be able to listen to him talking about "Gian", or anyone for that matter, in the same way, ever again. :D

Scraggers
16-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Like:
Clinton Grybas (he was my favourite)
Rex Hunt
Eddie Maguire
Dennis Cometti
Brad Hardie
Harry Bietzel

I pretty much like all commentators that are knowledgeable people who call(ed) the game with passion.

Dislike:
There is always an exception to the rule ... Bruce McAvaney ... he grates me !!

Mofra
16-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I find Rex Hunt unlistenable (shaddup, I'm sure it's a word).

I rate Cometti, and think Taylor's fantastic - he seems to have a genuine enthusiasm for the game and doesn't resort to cheap gimmicky nicknames.

jazzadogs
16-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Not strictly a commentator, but I was listening to SEN on the way home and it reminded me...God I hate Finey.

Loves the sound of his own voice. Doesn't matter if people are calling to support him or argue with him, he will speak all over the top of them. Gives me the irates. There's a couple of old guys who are on really late, I can't remember the name of the program but they annoy me. Seem to have very little knowledge about some subjects, but still assert their opinion as though they know everything about it. (I only have AM radio in the car, so I'm basically forced to listen to it. And they are talking about footy, so it's not all bad.)

Remi Moses
16-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Not strictly a commentator, but I was listening to SEN on the way home and it reminded me...God I hate Finey.

Loves the sound of his own voice. Doesn't matter if people are calling to support him or argue with him, he will speak all over the top of them. Gives me the irates. There's a couple of old guys who are on really late, I can't remember the name of the program but they annoy me. Seem to have very little knowledge about some subjects, but still assert their opinion as though they know everything about it. (I only have AM radio in the car, so I'm basically forced to listen to it. And they are talking about footy, so it's not all bad.)

Think you're speaking of The Gladiators of sport with Stephen J Peake [initial in his name what a wanker] Howard Leigh [long time journo] Peake is a Stkilda apologist who just agrees with everything his club does or says.

always right
16-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Think you're speaking of The Gladiators of sport with Stephen J Peake [initial in his name what a wanker] Howard Leigh [long time journo] Peake is a Stkilda apologist who just agrees with everything his club does or says.

They are a waste of space. Ther's a reason they are on so late. I thought Howard Leigh died years ago. Maybe he did and no-one told him.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I hate all the AFL sycophants starting with Garry Lyon and Kevin Bartlett.

I hate all the umpire sycophants starting with Gerard Healy and Tom Harley.

And anyone else who has nothing to say about anyone other than "he was so wonderful".

I want the whole, undiluted story. I don't want the politically correct version. I don't want the official AFL version, I don't want the he's a nice bloke version.

There was a Hawthorn game a few years back where one of Hawthorn's young players was running through the middle in plenty of space. All he need to do was take a bounce or two and thread it from 30. He fumbled the bounce and Dermie called out, "the boys ****ed it up!". That's what I want to hear!

EasternWest
16-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I hate all the AFL sycophants starting with Garry Lyon and Kevin Bartlett.

I hate all the umpire sycophants starting with Gerard Healy and Tom Harley.

And anyone else who has nothing to say about anyone other than "he was so wonderful".

I want the whole, undiluted story. I don't want the politically correct version. I don't want the official AFL version, I don't want the he's a nice bloke version.

There was a Hawthorn game a few years back where one of Hawthorn's young players was running through the middle in plenty of space. All he need to do was take a bounce or two and thread it from 30. He fumbled the bounce and Dermie called out, "the boys ****ed it up!". That's what I want to hear!

I think what Dermie actually said was "In a slightly uncontrolled and not at all planned way, the young Hawthorn lad systematically attempted to make the ball ricochet off the ground and back to himself in an action called bouncing and it unfortunately did not end up in a situation that was amenable to making the aforementioned young Hawthorn lad look like he knew anything about the action we call bouncing".

Or he may have said "blah blah blah me blah blah blah when I blah blah blah bad haircut blah blah blah me blah blah blah hot blonde chicks blah blah blah me me me".

Doc26
16-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Loves the sound of his own voice. Doesn't matter if people are calling to support him or argue with him, he will speak all over the top of them. Gives me the irates.

Sticking my neck out a tad but I don't mind listening to a bit of Finey. I have some respect for his knowledge of opposition players. He also appears to have decent knowledge and respect for the history of the game. With that said there are times where he does go a little over the top.

Mark Doran annoyed me no end, Harford not much better and Andy Maher has got verbal diarrhea and what all of a sudden made Anthony Hudson a 'specialist' of the game.

Greystache
16-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Yeah they are nothing short of embarrassing, for all their posturing and granstanding not one of them really has any idea what's going on. The sound like silly old men well past their day stuck in an 80's timewarp. SEN is better than the garbage they offer up.

LostDoggy
16-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I think what Dermie actually said was "In a slightly uncontrolled and not at all planned way, the young Hawthorn lad systematically attempted to make the ball ricochet off the ground and back to himself in an action called bouncing and it unfortunately did not end up in a situation that was amenable to making the aforementioned young Hawthorn lad look like he knew anything about the action we call bouncing".

Or he may have said "blah blah blah me blah blah blah when I blah blah blah bad haircut blah blah blah me blah blah blah hot blonde chicks blah blah blah me me me".

Ha! Ha! Love it;)

LostDoggy
16-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Don't really like any of the TV commentators apart from Tim Lane.... agree wholeheartedly with those opting for Gerard Whately and co from the ABC...... (apart from Mark Maclure who tells us all what they have to do to win the game before it's started, repetitively stating the bleeding obvious ad nauseum...) Can't stand the way in which so many of the TV commentators feel they have to relate some kind of story or impart their vast amounts of knowledge to us while the game is actually in progress..... all I want to hear is a description of what is happening, preferably one which adds a bit of excitement and drama..... just wish I could cut the sound of the TV and listen to the radio....sigh....

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Going to sound like a boring old ..... person....... here, but I like listening to 774ABC - Gerard Whaitley, and Drew Morphett (and others I can't recall their names), with special comments people like Stan Alves, Mark McClure, Chris Grant, etc.

Yep. Best team in the business.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Sticking my neck out a tad but I don't mind listening to a bit of Finey. I have some respect for his knowledge of opposition players. He also appears to have decent knowledge and respect for the history of the game. With that said there are times where he does go a little over the top.

Finey gives me the shits because he tries too hard to sound like some poncey private school kid with all that enunciating and loving the races. HOWEVER, yes, I like his focus on the local leagues, although I still get the feeling that even with that it's just to show how liberal he can be in not being only into the professional sport but also gets into the grassroots stuff like a real bloke. You know, homeless-chic: ie. all those faux-bohemians living in Fitzroy on allowances from their parents in Toorak.

However, the worst part of his show, unfortunately (and I have nothing against this bloke as a person), is Nathan Thompson. Seriously, he gives credence to the theory that full-forwards know next-to-nothing about football anytime he opens his mouth about tactics, or match-ups, or anything remotely to do with anything on gameday.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I agree with pretty much all of what people are saying but one other thing that shi%s me is when people like Tony Shaw and Tim Watson start explaining what a team should be doing or what they would do if they were in the coaches shoes. They were in a coaches shoes once, and they failed terribly.

Yep, and basically every ex-coach in the box that attacks current coaches. Other than Lethal and Blighty, every single one of the ex-coaches in commentary would have stuffed up as often and as badly as anyone else, especially guys like Wallet, Shaw and Watson, so you would think that they would at least have some understanding of the difficulties and sensitivities of the role. Nup, it's almost like they copped it when they were coaches so they are going to give as good as they got.

Ironically, it is Lethal and Blight -- the two that probably have enough cred to be as critical as they like -- that are/were the most even-handed and balanced with their analysis of current coaches.

Ozza
17-06-2010, 05:34 PM

I quite like Finey as well Doc. Gives the callers a good chance to get across their point, often asks them questions also, and has a well informed opinion. Always seems genuinely interested in a range of different topics within the AFL - and other sports also. He seems to be on the radio ALL the time though - how many shows does he do!?

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I quite like Finey as well Doc. Gives the callers a good chance to get across their point, often asks them questions also, and has a well informed opinion. Always seems genuinely interested in a range of different topics within the AFL - and other sports also. He seems to be on the radio ALL the time though - how many shows does he do!?

Me too Ozza, I usually talk to him about Melbourne Storm and I've enjoyed his rants about David Gallop & the NRL during Storm Hour over the past two months. :)

mjp
17-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I hate storyline commentary. Dogs lack of key forwards was my pet hate from last year, lack of height in defense during 2008 was another...The youth of Melbourne, toughness of Hardwick - whatever the producer has decided the theme for the night will be.

Watch the game. Tell us what is happening. If a team is getting beaten, talk about the 'problem' and not about your perception of the problem based on the latest article you read in the HUN.

Stefcep
17-06-2010, 06:35 PM
i miss the "Gawleeee, its a ring-ding-ding final quarter!!" with Lou the lip Richards.

And

Jack Dyre: "Its been a game of two halves".

Lou:"It usually is, Jack."

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Count the times Bruce asks Questions that are never answered.
Hes playing well isnt he?
The next goal is important isnt it?
Dunn is having a night out isnt he?... dropped the next week .. good call Bruce
The questions roll on

alwaysadog
17-06-2010, 10:11 PM
A classic Commetti; when Will kicked his left foot goal, an excited Denis says "He's ambifootstrous".

alwaysadog
17-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Too many to count.

Best post in a long while. Someone who can be genuinely funny.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 10:36 PM
A classic Commetti; when Will kicked his left foot goal, an excited Denis says "He's ambifootstrous".

Haha! I watched a replay of that while eating, and almost choked on my food! Funny stuff ;D

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I like commentators who can create atmosphere, but using the technique of less is more. Tim Lane used to be my favourite. Brian Taylor creates excitement but it can be all too much.

Special comments - I was quite taken last weekend by the calm and measured insights from one Chris Grant. I want the special comments to tell me something new, to analyse the game away from the usual cliches and what I have heard a million times before. Schwartz is a shocker in this regard.

Dry Rot
18-06-2010, 12:07 AM

+1. Often listen to Friday night and Sat arvo ABC radio calls up in Sydney. Very enjoyable.

Dry Rot
18-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Agreed. I feel kind of dirty posting this, but yes he really is worth listening to. Surprising for a player who wandered around the field, mouth open like a fish.

Really enjoying hearing Chis Grant's comments. Put aside his playing history (and our bias), his quiet knowledgable intelligent comments are good listening.

jazzadogs
18-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Yeh, that's them. Not. A. Fan.

To all the people who do like Finey, maybe it's just overkill, because he is on all the time. But I just don't enjoy listening to him.

And to The Rocket, that was a great post. I won't quote it again, but made me laugh.

LostDoggy
18-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I hate storyline commentary. Dogs lack of key forwards was my pet hate from last year, lack of height in defense during 2008 was another...The youth of Melbourne, toughness of Hardwick - whatever the producer has decided the theme for the night will be.

Watch the game. Tell us what is happening. If a team is getting beaten, talk about the 'problem' and not about your perception of the problem based on the latest article you read in the HUN.

Couldn't agree more.

Worse is when they haven't caught up to the latest storyline, so they are still recycling obsolete storylines that weren't even true when they were current ie. Dogs play at breakneck speed, Kosi is a key forward that performs when Nick is out, and, worst of all, North have/don't have/have lost/have rediscovered the shinboner spirit.

LostDoggy
18-06-2010, 01:25 PM
And to The Rocket, that was a great post. I won't quote it again, but made me laugh.

Ditto -- very, very funny. :)

LostDoggy
18-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Worse is when they haven't caught up to the latest storyline, so they are still recycling obsolete storylines that weren't even true when they were current ie. Dogs play at breakneck speed, Kosi is a key forward that performs when Nick is out, and, worst of all, North have/don't have/have lost/have rediscovered the shinboner spirit.

One of my pet hates - annoys me everytime I hear it.

I also saw on Fox Sports this morning Dogs V Hawks from 2007 - one of the commentators kept calling us the 'Western Bullies'. (possibly Robert Walls??) Now that annoys me - even more than the Shinboner Spirit!!!! :mad:

EasternWest
18-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Agreed. I feel kind of dirty posting this, but yes he really is worth listening to. Surprising for a player who wandered around the field, mouth open like a fish.

So true. He still sounds like a moron with that dopey voice, but I usually like what he has to say. Surprising.

BigDogChardy
19-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Love: Dennis Commetti
Hate: Tie between Robert Walls & Kelli Underwood...

LostDoggy
19-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Like:

Special comments:

Sorry, other end of spectrum. I know bonsai less stunted in growth than he is in delivery.

AndrewP6
19-06-2010, 09:44 PM

With you on that, it annoyed me no end....

AndrewP6
19-06-2010, 09:47 PM

I rate Cometti, and think Taylor's fantastic - he seems to have a genuine enthusiasm for the game and doesn't resort to cheap gimmicky nicknames.

It's no more a word than "shaddup"... ;)

AndrewP6
19-06-2010, 09:56 PM
As many have said, Bruce McAvaney is shocking. His pathetic fawning is sickening, and the unanswered questions make him sound even dumber... others have said he's past it, but I've never really been a fan. Dwayne Russell is awful, Lloyd says some good things but is sleep-inducing. Ditto for Kelly Underwood - one of the few who make me want to mute the volume, or worse, change the channel. Stick her on the boundary, to be heard of once a quarter, and then only to fill in a minute or two of airtime. I put her in the same category as Sam Lane from Before the Game.

I like Dennis C. He's knowledgeable on the game, and funny too. I know he probably rehearses like mad to get those one-liners in, but he delivers well. Don't mind Darce's work either.

LostDoggy
20-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Inspired choice by 774 to snaffle Chris Grant. Understated, knowledgeable, informative, you learn from him. Consistent with the 774 delivery compared with the flamboyant, theatrical 1278/693. I recall a spot from the Coodabeens which sums up the difference. A goal by Ablett snr

774: Ablett leads to the left forward pocket and accepts the pass from Hocking, plays on, feints to his right, spins, rounds Martin, straightens, off the left, goal !

1278/963 (Rex Hunt): Hocking sends a worm burner YEEEEEE ABLETTTT GOAL

Tim Lane was my favourite when on 774. Tried to inject humour but alwAys had an eye to painting the word picture. I always knew whereabouts on the ground the ball was. He's less like that now but still head and shoulders above anybody else on radio.

LostDoggy
22-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Although I have already made my preference for 774ABC commentators known, I have to say that I was unable to watch the game on Sunday afternoon, and had to listen to the ABC WA commentary team. Talk about biased commentary, and all except one (can't recall their names) couldn't even pronounce Gia's name...........:mad:

LostDoggy
22-06-2010, 10:37 PM

Seriously?
I can't stand BT whatsoever!
His commentary for the Weagles v Dogs game on Sunday was atrocious! It made my ears bleed..
I agree with your comment on his enthusiasm, but his style just doesnt do it for me im afraid!
For example, it really grinds my gears when he said ''Don't tell me that AFL players are not smart these days'' Who exactly is disagreeing with you BT? WHO!?

AndrewP6
22-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Seriously?
I can't stand BT whatsoever!
His commentary for the Weagles v Dogs game on Sunday was atrocious! It made my ears bleed..
I agree with your comment on his enthusiasm, but his style just doesnt do it for me im afraid!
For example, it really grinds my gears when he said ''Don't tell me that AFL players are not smart these days'' Who exactly is disagreeing with you BT? WHO!?

I'd have to disagree with him on that one!...

Bumper Bulldogs
22-06-2010, 10:50 PM
I like Rex Hunt and thought the team at 3AW had a good time and made it a pleasure to listen to, That said I couldn't stand him after the game as it become the "Rex" show and more talk about crap than the game.

The other I like is David King, he seems to explain things well and is clear and simple for all to follow. The down side to Davis is he knocks the dogs a little.

soupman
22-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I understand these aren't exactly "commentators", but the Footy Classified team shit me.

They spend the whole program on Monday night talking about suspensions and other things (honestly I tuned out for most of it), and then finish just before an ad break mentioning how thye'll talk about the Bulldogs after the break.

Them talking about the Bulldogs was four dot points which thy quickly showed on the screen, before moving onto "more important" stuff.

I really dislike how we are so often ignored by these sort of shows, Footy Classified rarely mentions us, and I have seen entire episodes where we don't even get mentioned at all.

Doc26
22-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I really dislike how we are so often ignored by these sort of shows, Footy Classified rarely mentions us, and I have seen entire episodes where we don't even get mentioned at all.

Tend to regard being ignored by such a show as a positive as it means we're probably doing the right things unless of course we can manufacture our own 'Franklin, Rioli, Hodge' media lovefest which has been done to death and has become so bloody tiresome.

Greystache
22-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I understand these aren't exactly "commentators", but the Footy Classified team shit me.

They spend the whole program on Monday night talking about suspensions and other things (honestly I tuned out for most of it), and then finish just before an ad break mentioning how thye'll talk about the Bulldogs after the break.

Them talking about the Bulldogs was four dot points which thy quickly showed on the screen, before moving onto "more important" stuff.

In fairness you can't fit too much into an hour program after you've spent the first 20 minutes talking up your own media articles and trying to put down those of your colleagues. Seriously the whole show is just a d*ck measuring contest between 3 people no one gives a shit about.

Greystache
22-06-2010, 11:46 PM
In fairness you can't fit too much into an hour program after you've spent the first 20 minutes talking up your own media articles and trying to put down those of your colleagues. Seriously the whole show is just a d*ck measuring contest between 3 people no one gives a shit about.

Good call, sensible call, plain as the nose on your face call.

soupman
22-06-2010, 11:49 PM

I agree somewhat however we are ignored beyond what is reasonable. There is always some segment on how Collingwoods young blokes have stepped up, a "how good is this kid" bit and the like. We get a 5 second visual of basic changes we have made and thats probably been the most attention we have ever received beyond the Akermanis incidents.

However, a plus side of the show i watching to see just how long a sentence Hutchy or Caroline can chuck "call" on the end of. eg. Good call. Insightful call. Should have been made a long time ago call. I feel that they should have taken action months ago before the situation got out of hand and they couldn't reel it back in to negate the effect it would have on the clubs image call.

bornadog
14-02-2017, 02:47 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16708452_1225327160926034_4242138072501194257_n.jpg?oh=399ef 0fb428643baf266c0ebca6d35bd&oe=590460B1