PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview, AFL R#13, WCE vs WB at Subiaco Oval

mjp
16-06-2010, 04:16 PM
West Coast

Well, things aren’t going well. After winning 5 of their last 7 in 2009, trotting out a host of top 10 draft picks (Ebert, Kennedy, Masten, Natanui and Shepherd) along with perennial All-Australian ruckman Dean Cox, key defender Darren Glass, clever small forward Mark LeCras and midfielder Daniel Kerr along with Brisbane recruit Brad Dalziell, 2010 was supposed to mark a return to finals action.

Hmmm. So far, complete disaster. The board is calling the coach in for ‘please explain’ sessions on a weekly basis, supporter favourite Quentin Lynch is rotting in the WAFL, Kerr is injured (again), Glass is injured, Dalziell is either too slow or can’t kick depending on what week it is, Matt Priddis still kicks to no-one instead of releasing the ball by hand, Natanui can’t get the ball, Masten can’t kick (now injured), Ebert is slow (and so is young Scott Selwood)...and now they have lost to Richmond. And now the players have called a ‘players only’ meeting? Apparently losing every week is acceptable, but if you lose to Richmond, enough is enough? In any case, they have not played well, the camp is not happy and unrest is rife.

The funny thing is, Kennedy and LeCras have actually been BETTER than advertised – but the rest of the side is struggling. With Glass out, the 2nd tier defensive talls (Spangher, McKenzie, Schofield) have proven to be 3rd tier, with Kerr out the next level of mids are either not good enough or not ready, Cox is still getting the footy but having zero impact around the contest and the forward line...wow. Mitch Brown, Ben McKinlay – just one effort players. Not good signs.

US.
Well, we know all about us. An up and down season with highlights being the form of Hall, Griffen and Lake – Cooney to a lesser degree though he has had a couple of outstanding games. Rather than covering stuff we all know, let’s look at match-ups.

Ruck:

Hudson and Minson vs Cox and Natanui.
- West Coast have an advantage when it comes to athleticism, Dogs an advantage when it comes to pure grunt. With Cox having turned himself into a receiver and Natanui only able to touch the ball if it involves a ruck contest, the Dogs pair have a huge opportunity to take control of this one.

Mids:
- Dogs have a class advantage with Cooney and Griffen. Those two boys will be the quickest, most skilled players on the park and if they touch it 25 times plus the Bulldogs win. (Scott) Selwood will take one of them – I am guessing Griffen – with Dalziell likely assigned the job on Cooney. These match-ups might change, but I suspect the thinking will be Dalziell’s massive tank will be more needed vs Cooney than Griffen who really is more of a burst player. Regardless, Cooney has a chance to be a damaging leading forward against EITHER of those players.

- Boyd and Ebert will be effectively a head-to-head battle, with Cross battling it out with Priddis. The marking / gut running power of Cross vs Priddis could be a massive factor at Subiaco if he is prepared to work hard and be a kick-too target.

WCE Forward line.

- Lake takes Kennedy. Must. With Williams out, West Coast will try to stretch the Dogs – they have Mitch Brown, Ben McKinlay and the Cox/Natanui combination to throw forward. But whilst McKinlay can be a high marking threat and will need attention, the others are really just ‘tall’ rather than ‘tall and dangerous’. Murphy to McKinlay (who doesn’t chase), with Everitt to take Brown (assuming he plays) – if not and the Dogs go small, Gilbee will have to get it done.

- Mark LeCras is a super young forward and the obvious opponent is Dale Morris.
West Coast depend almost completely on Kennedy (34 goals) and LeCras (28 goals) for their scoring and if the two best Dogs defenders (Lake and Morris) do their jobs well, I cannot see how West Coast can kick a winning tally.

Dogs Forward Line

Well, this is where it gets interesting. Glass isn’t playing, so who plays on Hall. Based on who played on Riewoldt last week, it will be a defence by committee approach, with each one of McKenzie, Jones, Schofield and Brown all having a go. Hall is a more classic leading forward than Riewoldt though, so I suspect they will go with the faster, more experienced Jones, push Schofield onto Grant and play McKenzie on Hahn. The McKenzie / Jones match-ups could easily reverse though.
- Given recent history and Addison’s absence from the side, I expect that Gia will play the ‘accountable forward’ role vs Shannon Hurn.

OK. But the teams haven’t changed much since last year, and WCE won TWICE!

Very true. And they killed us in the transition game last year with a more determined, focused approach to running the lines and gut running between contests. If they do that again – and they haven’t been so it is a massive “IF” – West Coast could very easily win this game. The Dogs played with a lot more adventure last week against Brisbane which was a good sign, but if they revert to a slow ball movement, side-to-side-to-side-to-side game-style AND West Coast run and work, West Coast will win comfortably.

They shouldn’t though. The Dogs have miles too much class through the midfield for West Coast to handle. The large ground should suit the leading style of Grant and Hall, and Harbrow, Murphy and Gilbee will have heaps of room to run with the ball.
Dogs by 34 points after a tight(ish) first 2  2 1/2 quarters.

And given I dont get to see them much these days they had better darn well win!

bornadog
16-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Great preview MJP. If we decide to go tall with Morris then who else can pick up LeCras?

Last time Josh Kennedy was very dangerous but he was being fed the ball from the centre breaks which WCE were winning. We really have to dominate the mid field against WCE, something we haven't done well in many years. Having said that, this is probably the weakest WCE mids for a long time.

What do you think in introducing one of our young talls for this game to play the backline, someone like Boumann, just to give him the experience and play as a third tall against say McKinley.

Mofra
16-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Excellent write up mjp - I assume Brown will take the resting Minson in the forwardline?

We really should storm them with the difference in midfield talent/experience.

mjp
16-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Great preview MJP. If we decide to go tall with Morris then who else can pick up LeCras?

No-one. We should not mess with this. I would rather play Jarrod Harbrow on a tall than take Morris off LeCras. LeCras and Kennedy are dangerous, McKinlay is a little dangerous and the others *might* snag maybe 2 goals...LeCras could kick 5 in a quarter and needs attention.

Last time Josh Kennedy was very dangerous but he was being fed the ball from the centre breaks which WCE were winning. We really have to dominate the mid field against WCE, something we haven't done well in many years. Having said that, this is probably the weakest WCE mids for a long time.

West Coast mids are just young. Kennedy is a good contested mark - if Lake tries to outmark him all the time Kennedy will definitely snag a few...he is about the only forward going around who I think judges it as well as Brian. The West Coast mids should stop trying for the perfect kick and just stick it on Kennedy's head.

What do you think in introducing one of our young talls for this game to play the backline, someone like Boumann, just to give him the experience and play as a third tall against say McKinley.

I wouldn't bother. If the MC think Boumann is a better bet than Everitt then I think that says more about their opinion of Everitt than Boumann. McKinlay is a good enough player, but Boumann would play on guys just as good at VFL level...

mjp
16-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Excellent write up mjp - I assume Brown will take the resting Minson in the forwardline?

They persist with Brown as a forward but he hasn't shown me a lot. This is something they could try...I personally wouldn't bother as I doubt Minson would grab more than one anyway...I would try and get Hurn onto him and get him to run off big Will.

Tall forwards might LOOK dangerous, but most inside 50m marks are taken by players leading inside an open forward 50m area.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Tall forwards might LOOK dangerous, but most inside 50m marks are taken by players leading inside an open forward 50m area.

Big Will had 3 on the weekend just gone from memory - was just about his best marking display in a game, so perhaps he'll warrant a little attention this weekend.

Great work on the preview. I'm certainly one who thought that West Coast would be in the finals mix this year, but it seems a few of their players just haven't come on as much as they would have hoped, and have also been hit pretty hard by injuries.

Always enjoy watching Hurn play, and that could prove to be a good match up for Gia.

Scraggers
16-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Great review MJP ... very comprehensive :D

In round 19 last year Embley proved the difference with 30+ posessions and 4 goals ... who do you think will go to him??

Second, depending on which media outlet you listen to over here, Glass is a certain starter / has to pass a fitness test / still another 4 weeks away ... Do you have any info in this regard??

Cheers

mjp
16-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Great review MJP ... very comprehensive :D

In round 19 last year Embley proved the difference with 30+ posessions and 4 goals ... who do you think will go to him??

Second, depending on which media outlet you listen to over here, Glass is a certain starter / has to pass a fitness test / still another 4 weeks away ... Do you have any info in this regard??

Cheers

I have heard he has to pass a test...but that he wont pass.

Embley has not been good this year...very up and down. Played with some real pride against St Kilda a few weeks back, but story is he is spending more time developing his tv show than focusing on his footy. Whatever.

I am assuming Embley will play in his outside midfielder role and will just play on whoever is there - I could not imagine a specific match-up being assigned. I guess it will be Eagleton at times, Gilbee at times, Shaggy (if he plays) at times, Andrejs (likewise), Gia at times...

chef
16-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Great preview mjp.

G-Mo77
16-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I am assuming Embley will play in his outside midfielder role and will just play on whoever is there - I could not imagine a specific match-up being assigned. I guess it will be Eagleton at times, Gilbee at times, Shaggy (if he plays) at times, Andrejs (likewise), Gia at times...

Picken maybe?

I really can't remember who Picken stood last time we played West Coast. Was it Rosa?

mjp
16-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Picken maybe?

I really can't remember who Picken stood last time we played West Coast. Was it Rosa?

Pretty sure it was Rosa...He seems to be going backwards/treading water as well though. Can't seem to hit on their recruits in recent times.

BulldogBelle
16-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that.

Hopefully no more 'side to side to side' we just need to move it fast and we look good.

Topdog
16-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Thoughts on were to drink pre/post match?

Scraggers
16-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Thoughts on were to drink pre/post match?

I have just found out that James Fantasia and a few players (and one beard) will be coming back to the Irish Club on Towsend Road in Subiaco after the game

LostDoggy
16-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Pretty sure it was Rosa...He seems to be going backwards/treading water as well though. Can't seem to hit on their recruits in recent times.

I think we need to be careful of a player like Rosa, his one of many in the WCE outfit who grow 3 foot taller playing at Subi.

I've heard Adam Selwood is a pretty good chance to play this week? Looked to have badly hurt his should against Geelong which was only 2 weeks ago. IMO he's one of, if not there most important player. Adds a bit of class to their midfield. He's done some pretty good stopping jobs this year as well as winning his own fair share of ball. He will play on Cooney if he plays i believe.

w3design
16-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks mjp, good preview. I take it you're not too much of a fan of nicnat at this stage of his career? He's done some pretty decent roving around the ground from my limited sightings of him. These have been generally from stoppages though. He should be pretty good once (if) he gets his fitness up, he's extremely athletic.

It'll be interesting to see who we take across, will Ward play do you think?

boydogs
17-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks mjp. Knowing WCE and the Subiaco ground as you do, what selection changes would you suggest we make this week?

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Have not seen too much of the eagle but was wondering can you hurt LeCras the other way or is he just to dangerous?

If so was thinking Gilbee has he can hurt him the other way and is good enough in the air and ground to go with him

bornadog
17-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Have not seen too much of the eagle but was wondering can you hurt LeCras the other way or is he just to dangerous?

If so was thinking Gilbee has he can hurt him the other way and is good enough in the air and ground to go with him

I think MJP is on the money, put Morris on him, he is the most dangerous forward at the Weagels.

vho
17-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Arghh!!! last night i had the worst dream. Brian Lake was going for a contested mark in the back pocket, the ball is spilt to the ground and whilst bending down to gather the sherrin, his leg is collected by the opposition and results in Lake breaking his leg ala N.Brown break.

Sorry for spoilling this thread with this odd post but i have no idea why i had that damn dream!!!.

mjp
17-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I wouldn't mess with LeCras. Just containing him is hard enough. He spent a fair bit of time up the ground earlier in the year for reasons that still confound me...probably to get a good kick into the midfield I guess, but if you have a 50 goal forward, leave him the hell alone.

mjp
17-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I think we need to be careful of a player like Rosa, his one of many in the WCE outfit who grow 3 foot taller playing at Subi.
I would be happy rolling the dice against Rosa.

I've heard Adam Selwood is a pretty good chance to play this week? Looked to have badly hurt his should against Geelong which was only 2 weeks ago. IMO he's one of, if not there most important player. Adds a bit of class to their midfield. He's done some pretty good stopping jobs this year as well as winning his own fair share of ball. He will play on Cooney if he plays i believe.

Still 50-50. He will help I guess, but wont solve their kicking or leg-speed issues. Agree he is their best bet against Cooney, but like us when Picken is out that doesn't say a whole lot.

As for their most important player, I think Glass, Cox and Kennedy are at the top of that list.

mjp
17-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I take it you're not too much of a fan of nicnat at this stage of his career? He's done some pretty decent roving around the ground from my limited sightings of him. These have been generally from stoppages though. He should be pretty good once (if) he gets his fitness up, he's extremely athletic.

Just can't win his own ball and doesn't run to present. Fantastic around the contest, but in his limited role isn't part of enough of them.

It'll be interesting to see who we take across, will Ward play do you think?

Hoping! But that is purely selfish.

Ozza
17-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Good report MJP - hope you enjoy seeing the doggies in the flesh at Subi.

Definitely Morris on the Frenchman. Really need our best stopper on him.
Would like to see Picko go to Embley - who always seems to kill us. I know embley looks 'gone' as a footballer this year - but I'd rather not risk him playing one of his 2 good games a year that he generally reserves for us these days.

cammo78
17-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Might see a few of you at the Irish Pub...making my first venture to Perth this weekend...hope it results in a win.

Topdog
17-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I'll be there cammo and will be wearing my Huddo scarf.

w3design
17-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks mjp. It looks like we'll have to wait another week to see Callan get a run. I can't wait to see him back, in my opinion we will start to really hit our straps once we have him and Johnno back in the side.

Scraggers
17-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I'll be there cammo and will be wearing my Huddo scarf.

Me too ... can't wait to unveil the Huddo Scarf at Subi oval (and the Irish Club)

LostDoggy
18-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Personally I can see WetCoats picking Lynch to try and stretch us match up wise with Williams being out. Will be interesting to see who Eade picks if this is the case.

Mofra
18-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Personally I can see WetCoats picking Lynch to try and stretch us match up wise with Williams being out. Will be interesting to see who Eade picks if this is the case.
Roll the dice. Tell Wood to go to him (he has a decent leap to match him in the air most times) and run off him as much as possible. Unless the Q train gets the delivery lace-out (lets face it, unlikely with a mdifield led by Priddis) I think we'll breakeven or win that contest, especially if Lake is anywhere in the vicinity.

Swoop
18-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Great write up MJP, this game aside what are your thoughts on young Mitch Brown as a footballer from a general point of view?

Could Bobby Murphy be an alternative for LeCras if the match committee feel Morris is better suited to Kennedy? This would also allow Lake the freedom of taking the taller lesser opponent and gives him the freedom of zoning off and helping Morris out in the air.

LostDoggy
18-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Roll the dice. Tell Wood to go to him (he has a decent leap to match him in the air most times) and run off him as much as possible. Unless the Q train gets the delivery lace-out (lets face it, unlikely with a mdifield led by Priddis) I think we'll breakeven or win that contest, especially if Lake is anywhere in the vicinity.

Don't think that would be a good idea i remember we tried that in the 98 prelim :eek:

Mantis
18-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Great write up MJP, this game aside what are your thoughts on young Mitch Brown as a footballer from a general point of view?

Could Bobby Murphy be an alternative for LeCras if the match committee feel Morris is better suited to Kennedy? This would also allow Lake the freedom of taking the taller lesser opponent and gives him the freedom of zoning off and helping Morris out in the air.

Yep, good work on the preview mjp.

As you have questioned our defensive match-ups will be interesting. Their best 2 forwards are LeCras & Kennedy so one would think we would use our best 2 defenders (Morris & Lake) on them.

It really shouldn't matter anyway as our midfield looks superior and if we get enough clean ball going forward we should win and win well.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2010, 03:21 AM

We very nearly got him to come to us 2 years ago.

comrade
19-06-2010, 09:37 AM
We very nearly got him to come to us 2 years ago.

He's wasted up forward, IMO. We should make another play for him as our Brian Lake replacement.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-06-2010, 09:56 AM
For mine our Mids will have far to much space to put it lace out to the leads of Hall and co.

What are the thoughts of Jonno this week, will we play him as a deep forward and get Hall out to the CHF and try to keep something left in the tank?

Will Hill & Stack turn it on in front of the old home town fans?

Ghost Dog
19-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Good match preview

Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Easton Wood
HB: Robert Murphy, Dale Morris, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn, Josh Hill
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney

All three of the players in Half-forward need a big game today to lift their spirits. Hope they can get fired up. Mitch is actually pretty good around the packs, I would not mind seeing him being used as a ball winner at times.

LostDoggy
19-06-2010, 04:30 PM
We play tomorrow :S