17-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Western Bulldogs

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Easton Wood
HB: Robert Murphy, Dale Morris, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn, Josh Hill
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney
I/C: from Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt, Ryan Hargrave, Brennan Stack, Will Minson, Brodie Moles, Sam Reid

In: Everitt, Hargrave, Johnson, Reid
Out: Williams (hamstring)

West Coast

B: Andrew Strijk, Eric MacKenzie, Will Schofield
HB: Beau Waters, Beau Wilkes, Shannon Hurn
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Brad Sheppard
HF: Adam Selwood, Mitchell Brown, Andrew Embley
F: Ben McKinley, Josh Kennedy, Mark LeCras
Foll: Dean Cox, Brad Ebert, Koby Stevens
I/C: Bradd Dalziell, Ashton Hams, Quinten Lynch, Patrick McGinnity, Nic Naitanui, Scott Selwood, Ashley Smith

In: Lynch, Adam Selwood, Hams, Strijk, Smith, Stevens
Out: Mark Nicoski (shoulder), Brett Jones, Lewis Stevenson

comrade
17-06-2010, 06:05 PM
No Ward - mjp won't be happy.

Good to see Wood named in the starting 18.

G-Mo77
17-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Shaggy for Williams the only other change me thinks.

bornadog
17-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Shaggy for Williams the only change me thinks.

Don't think so, Johnno straight in

chef
17-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Very happy to have Johnno back:):):):)

G-Mo77
17-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Don't think so, Johnno straight in

Yeah I edited my post. I meant other.

I knew what I meant anyway :p

divvydan
17-06-2010, 06:18 PM
In: Johnson, Hargrave
Out: Williams, Moles

Seems the most likely to me. Likely to be between Stack and Moles as to who keeps their spot. This assumes that all players get through the flight alright.

comrade
17-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah I edited my post. I meant other.

I knew what I meant anyway :p

Who goes out for Johnno?

Go_Dogs
17-06-2010, 06:19 PM
About what was expected I guess, and we won't know more until tomorrow.

G-Mo77
17-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Who goes out for Johnno?

My guess is Stack

chef
17-06-2010, 06:22 PM
In: Johnson, Hargrave
Out: Williams, Moles

Seems the most likely to me. Likely to be between Stack and Moles as to who keeps their spot. This assumes that all players get through the flight alright.

That looks about right. I would love for Everitt to come in for one of Hill/Stack.

G-Mo77
17-06-2010, 06:29 PM
That looks about right. I would love for Everitt to come in for one of Hill/Stack.

Possibly, but I think they'll go with an extra on-baller over at Subi which is why I think Moles will stay in before Stack.

I'd be very happy to see all 3 changes as well.

Out: Williams, Stack, Moles
In: Johnno, Shaggy, Skinny

Who's the likely changes for the Eagles? Who are Stirjk and Stevens?

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Isn't our game Saturday night?

Why the extended bench, thought they release full teams with emergencies for games minus Sundays/Mondays?

Happy to see Ward not being rushed back.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Possibly, but I think they'll go with an extra on-baller over at Subi which is why I think Moles will stay in before Stack.

I'd be very happy to see all 3 changes as well.

Out: Williams, Stack, Moles
In: Johnno, Shaggy, Skinny

Who's the likely changes for the Eagles? Who are Stirjk and Stevens?

They are both small running defenders, Strijk off the rookie list and Stevens I think a 2008 draftee.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Why the extended bench, thought they release full teams with emergencies for games minus Sundays/Mondays?

We play Sunday arvo.

BulldogBelle
17-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Nah it's sunday. Wishing it was saturday.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 06:54 PM
They are both small running defenders, Strijk off the rookie list and Stevens I think a 2008 draftee.

Scratch that thought you meant Smith, Stevens is described as an inside midefielder...too many debutants to keep straight.

ledge
17-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Surprised about Johnno and Ward , thought it might have been Ward before Johnno.
Cant wait to see both back in anyway.

LostDoggy
17-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Nah it's sunday. Wishing it was saturday.

Wow this is how out of the loop I am..

Im going away to Halls Gap this weekend expecting not to see the game..was going to come back Monday but I think plans might change ;)

Desipura
18-06-2010, 09:47 AM
No Ward - mjp won't be happy.

Good to see Wood named in the starting 18.
Was never really going to be considered unless they deviated from their initial recovery plan.

comrade
18-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Was never really going to be considered unless they deviated from their initial recovery plan.

They've already deviated. You posted that you were told that he'd play a few reserves games before playing Willy seniors, yet he was promoted after one game only.

Desipura
18-06-2010, 10:06 AM
They've already deviated. You posted that you were told that he'd play a few reserves games before playing Willy seniors, yet he was promoted after one game only.
Not to the point that he would be playing seniors after 3 games. Playing more senior Williamstown games to 2nds is not as great as being promoted to play for the Dogs.

Mofra
18-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Not to the point that he would be playing seniors after 3 games. Playing more senior Williamstown games to 2nds as not as great as being promoted to play for the Dogs.
It's still a deviation. I'd expect him back sooner than the plan you stated.

comrade
18-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Not to the point that he would be playing seniors after 3 games. Playing more senior Williamstown games to 2nds as not as great as being promoted to play for the Dogs.

Of course, but they've still deviated from what you were told.

Desipura
18-06-2010, 10:13 AM
It's still a deviation. I'd expect him back sooner than the plan you stated.
Well we have the bye next week (as do Willi). Ward will have played 3 games (not the 5 they had planned).
I always expected him back after the bye. Barring any mishaps, I think this is what will happen.

Mantis
18-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Not sure on Johnno coming back after just 70min of footy to play on the biggest ground in the AFL, but I guess it's no great surprise..... I hope this move doesn't back-fire.

I would think that one or both of Everitt & Hargrave would have to come in... Hargrave being the most likely on past inclusions. Would mean that Hargrave would have to 'play tall' which isn't a great prospect to look forward too.

Desipura
18-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Not sure on Johnno coming back after just 70min of footy to play on the biggest ground in the AFL, but I guess it's no great surprise..... I hope this move doesn't back-fire.

I would think that one or both of Everitt & Hargrave would have to come in... Hargrave being the most likely on past inclusions. Would mean that Hargrave would have to 'play tall' which isn't a great prospect to look forward too.
Agree, I will also add playing Hahn on such a big fast track is another thing I am not looking forward to.
Sometimes I think the MC lacks imagination.

Swoop
18-06-2010, 10:53 AM
What are people's thoughts on the selection of Johnson this week? I think normally the trip to Perth would have been a concern with his limited game time but obviously with the following week off it is not as much as a factor.

I thought Ward may have been an inclusion especially on the large Subiaco ground but I have no problems with them being cautious and setting him up for the run home.

Do people believe that eventually Ward, Reid, Cross & Boyd can all play in the same team?

Mofra
18-06-2010, 10:57 AM
If he's playing a FP type role, I think it wont be a problem given he has been training hard over the past month by all accounts.
It would mean one of the forwards has to make way instead of a mid.

It was interesting reading that Hird rates Johnno's injury as more significant to the Bulldogs than Riewoldt's is to the Saints. I think even our own supporters forget how good Johnno is at times, given he basically held down a key marking post for years at 6 foot and (when injury free) can still play as an effective midfielder.

Desipura
18-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Do people believe that eventually Ward, Reid, Cross & Boyd can all play in the same team?
Ironically this is similar to the long term question I am asking in another thread.
3 of the 4 played together last season.

LostDoggy
18-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Ward is a more complete player than any of these guys, he gets his own ball yes but he also has excellent disposal by foot and a great goal awareness. Ward, Boyd and Cross are in our best 22, Reid would have to show something else if these three are fit, unless we are killed by injuries.

bornadog
18-06-2010, 11:44 AM
What are people's thoughts on the selection of Johnson this week? I think normally the trip to Perth would have been a concern with his limited game time but obviously with the following week off it is not as much as a factor.

I thought Ward may have been an inclusion especially on the large Subiaco ground but I have no problems with them being cautious and setting him up for the run home.

I would rather Johnno play this week against a weaker opposition and be ready to take on the Hawks and Carlton. Playing in the midfield, Ward would have to do more running than say a Johnno, and may not be fit enough yet.

Doc26
18-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Was surprised to see Johnno rushed back for the Subi trip. Another week at Willi and then the break would've been a smoother transition back from his achilles injury. Voss erred with granting JBrown his wish to continue to play through hurt and now he's broken down with a 4 - 6 week lay off. Hopefully our MC have not fallen into the same trap in rushing Johnno back too soon by granting him his wish to play at the highest level on a large and hard Subiaco surface.

Swoop
18-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Do we have more to lose than gain by playing Johnno this week as oppossed to giving him another week at Willy and allowing him to return after the break?

Unfortunately with selection it tends to be more instinct rather than science so there is no right or wrong answer but certainly an interesting dilemma and one that I'm hoping will pay off for own sake.

Desipura
18-06-2010, 12:40 PM
The other thing is we do not want to bring in too many players at the same time, who are coming back from injury.
Ward should come back after the break with 4 games under his belt.
Hargrave, Higgins & Aker should play games at Williamstown after the bye.
If we were to cop an injury to any of our backman, Hargrave would be the only one I would consider bringing straight back in. (I do not think they MC rate Everitt as a backman).

On a side note: I wonder if we can develop Wood to play a defensive role on the small quicks ie Leon Davis which we have struggled with in recent times? This would allow Harbrow to be more attacking and hopefully conceding less goals on a different opponent.
Wood certainly has the pace, although it will also rob us of his run off half back, I think Murphy down back more than covers this area.

Swoop
18-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I like the idea of Wood freeing up Harbrow defensively, I don't think we would be neccessarily losing Wood's run considering we've never really had it anyway and it will actually free Harbrow to create play and I would argue he is more damaging.

At this stage this is Wood's best opportunity at establishing himself within the best 22 as his skills and decision making isn't at quite the same level as his competition through the midfield and he hasn't shown abiilty to win enough of the ball at the senior level. It is a good entry level for him to development and will eventually lead to more responsibility with greater confidence.

Our backline has been fairly strong this year and the thought of Wood, Gilbee, Harbrow & Murphy will certainly hurt opposition on the rebound while Lake can control any aerial threats and Morris being the negating defender.

This poses the question, can we better utilise Hargrave elsewhere or is his best position still in the backline?

Desipura
18-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I like the idea of Wood freeing up Harbrow defensively, I don't think we would be neccessarily losing Wood's run considering we've never really had it anyway and it will actually free Harbrow to create play and I would argue he is more damaging.

At this stage this is Wood's best opportunity at establishing himself within the best 22 as his skills and decision making isn't at quite the same level as his competition through the midfield and he hasn't shown abiilty to win enough of the ball at the senior level. It is a good entry level for him to development and will eventually lead to more responsibility with greater confidence.

Our backline has been fairly strong this year and the thought of Wood, Gilbee, Harbrow & Murphy will certainly hurt opposition on the rebound while Lake can control any aerial threats and Morris being the negating defender.

This poses the question, can we better utilise Hargrave elsewhere or is his best position still in the backline?

Thanks for the reply to my question. The other thing about Wood playing on a small is that he has a strong body therefore should be able to more than hold his own in a marking contest. Unlike Harbrow who has struggled on a one on one with the likes of Stokes.
I really do hope they experiment with Wood in this role instead of going back to the likes of Callan.
I believe Hargrave should play down back with a licence to creep up forward occasionally. That way we can have Lake and Hargrave venturing down there at times during a game.

Swoop
18-06-2010, 04:32 PM
I guess the negative to this situation is that Harbrow is limited as to who he can match up due to his size. It means that if a side was determined to drag him to the goalsquare than we may need to concede due to lack of matchups he is able to play on. Food for thought...

Desipura
18-06-2010, 04:44 PM
I guess the negative to this situation is that Harbrow is limited as to who he can match up due to his size. It means that if a side was determined to drag him to the goalsquare than we may need to concede due to lack of matchups he is able to play on. Food for thought...
True or.............with the added run in our backline with Murphy & Wood, perhaps we can throw Harbrow up forward? More food for thought

Mofra
18-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I'd prefer to try and exploit the strengths of players, and for mine Wood has a fantastic leap for his size, attacks the contest hard and is strong which to me means he is a completely different type of player than Harbrow.

I'm not sure Wood has exceptional agility which means the type of player that Harbrow normally minds could be a little slippery for young Easton.

divvydan
18-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Final Teams:

WEST COAST v WESTERN BULLDOGS

West Coast
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Brad Sheppard
HF: Adam Selwood, Mitchell Brown, Andrew Embley
Foll: Dean Cox, Brad Ebert, Koby Stevens
I/C: Bradd Dalziell, Nic Naitanui, Scott Selwood, Patrick McGinnity
Emg: Ashton Hams, Quinten Lynch, Ashley Smith

In: Adam Selwood, Strijk, Stevens
Out: Mark Nicoski (shoulder), Brett Jones, Lewis Stevenson

New: Andrew Strijk (West Perth), Koby Stevens (Lucknow)

Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Easton Wood
HF: Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn, Josh Hill
I/C: Nathan Eagleton, Will Minson, Ryan Hargrave, Brennan Stack
Emg: Andrejs Everitt, Brodie Moles, Sam Reid

In: Hargrave, Johnson
Out: Tom Williams (hamstring), Brodie Moles

chef
18-06-2010, 07:51 PM
:)Happy to have Hargrave and Johnno back in.

LostDoggy
19-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Eagleton and Stack - the new Dodgy Brothers. How they get a game each week is beyond me. It defies logic. It defies reason. They're like that stench you can smell in your car whenever you open the door - you know it's there, you just don't know why or how.

Poor Everitt... only going to get a game if someone in the team dies, or worse!

Bumper Bulldogs
19-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Eagleton and Stack - the new Dodgy Brothers. How they get a game each week is beyond me. It defies logic. It defies reason. They're like that stench you can smell in your car whenever you open the door - you know it's there, you just don't know why or how.

Poor Everitt... only going to get a game if someone in the team dies, or worse!

I have it on good authority that Rocket has a heart and that is why Stack is left in the team this week. A free trip back to his home town to catch up with his mates.

I to cant see how he is in at the expense of Moles or Everitt.

That a side Love having the captain back. I think this will take a weight of a couple of our other guys and lead us back to another big 10 goal win.

LostDoggy
19-06-2010, 11:55 AM
If that is the reason why Stack is in the side. We will never win a premiership.

azabob
19-06-2010, 12:26 PM
RE Brennan Stack he needs to work on a few areas - We all know this.

However he has shown the ability to be able to kick goals and he has pace he tries to tackle he just can't land them - Yet

He reminds me of Travis Varcoe when he first started way back when. Geelong kept on playing him even though he couldn't get near it. Now he is an ok footballer who kicks goals, tackles and does most things required of him as a small forward.

Some posters on this forum moan and complain that Eade doesn't give the kids a good enough run of it in the seniors and how he has his favourites etc, and when Eade finally does give a young player a run at it people jump up and down because its not player X, Y or Z.

We as a football club have lacked or not needed a pacy small defensive forward since Robbins retired and Stack is currently the closest we have to this.

Reality is Stack offers something that Moles and Everitt don't. - Pace, Goal Kicking ability and that X factor.

bornadog
19-06-2010, 12:50 PM

However he has shown the ability to be able to kick goals and he has pace he tries to tackle he just can't land them - Yet

He reminds me of Travis Varcoe when he first started way back when. Geelong kept on playing him even though he couldn't get near it. Now he is an ok footballer who kicks goals, tackles and does most things required of him as a small forward.

Some posters on this forum moan and complain that Eade doesn't give the kids a good enough run of it in the seniors and how he has his favourites etc, and when Eade finally does give a young player a run at it people jump up and down because its not player X, Y or Z.

We as a football club have lacked or not needed a pacy small defensive forward since Robbins retired and Stack is currently the closest we have to this.

Reality is Stack offers something that Moles and Everitt don't. - Pace, Goal Kicking ability and that X factor.

Totally agree with your post. Some people expect Hill and Stack to rack up 25 plus disposals every week. When you are in the forward line and can contribute at least two goals a week (44 a year), plus some goal assists, then you have done your job. Both these boys are on track to do that.

In regards to Moles, if you play in the midfield then I would expect at least 25 disposals every week. Moles has been poor in getting the ball as well as his disposal. Mind you Boyd needs to also improve his efficiency, but he averages 30 disposals a week.

Mofra
19-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I actually thought Eagleton played well enough to keep his spot last week - laid a few heavy tackles. From the outside looking in, it seemed like he laid more tackles/applied more pressure last week than he did for most of the last year and a half.

Stack is lucky for mine - I guess the WA factor played a part.

Mofra
19-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Totally agree with your post. Some people expect Hill and Stack to rack up 25 plus disposals every week. When you are in the forward line and can contribute at least two goals a week (44 a year), plus some goal assists, then you have done your job. Both these boys are on track to do that.
I think the game has moved on to where a a small quick forward has to provide forward pressure, and needs a desire to be involved int he play when he is out of position as well as just keeping an eye on the goal tally.
If you look at the Swans game, Stack clearly can do this ad do it well - since then, I don't think his desire has been there. Hill is our second highest goalkicker this year & I think he's reasonably safe.
I don't think at this stage we can play both Stack and Hill in the F50, and Hill is ahead of Stack for mine.

LongWait
19-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Excellent post bobmurphy - couldn't agree more!

EasternWest
19-06-2010, 03:06 PM

Stack just wont go when it's his turn. He wont. And that drives me nuts. It's one thing Everitt never used to do, but in his limited time this year his desperation to make contests really impressed me.

That's why I'd have him in the side ahead of Stack, he seems more desperate to play. I'm not saying Stack wont develop the attack on the ball (as Everitt himself has shown that transition can be made), but IMO Stack needs to play in the reserves with the message "stick your head over the ball" and Everitt should be in.

If it's true that he's in merely because it's close to home then I agree 100% with Danstar. If it's so important for him to get to go home to his family for the break, then let him spend the money on the flights himself. He's an AFL footballer FFS, I'm positive he can afford it.

Scorlibo
19-06-2010, 03:28 PM

I totally agree, and the comparison with Travis Varcoe is one I was thinking about just the other day. Very similar players.

bulldogsman
19-06-2010, 03:35 PM
No Moles in the VFL. Late change?

divvydan
19-06-2010, 03:37 PM
No Moles in the VFL. Late change?

I'd imagine that we'd take over 23 players to Perth as it would be too hard to call someone up late on the day of the game and get them to the ground in time.

anfo27
19-06-2010, 04:02 PM

In regards to Moles, if you play in the midfield then I would expect at least 25 disposals every week. Moles has been poor in getting the ball as well as his disposal. Mind you Boyd needs to also improve his efficiency, but he averages 30 disposals a week.

I don't expect Stack to rack up 25 possies cause that is way to unrealistic. What i expect is for him to work his ass off in the forward line to put as much pressure on those running backs as he can and if he gets on the end of a few then thats great. At present he is getting on the end of a few and thats pretty much it. I don't see a desire to tackled and do everything that he can to keep the ball in his area.
if he doesn't do this again this week i would be happy for Rocket to leave him in his home state with his mates. The only X factor he has is the big X next to his name that says he will be delisted at seasons end. Please please please prove me wrong Stack.

bornadog
19-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I think the game has moved on to where a a small quick forward has to provide forward pressure, and needs a desire to be involved int he play when he is out of position as well as just keeping an eye on the goal tally.
If you look at the Swans game, Stack clearly can do this ad do it well - since then, I don't think his desire has been there. Hill is our second highest goalkicker this year & I think he's reasonably safe.
I don't think at this stage we can play both Stack and Hill in the F50, and Hill is ahead of Stack for mine.

Yes agree his F50 pressure has to improve. Currently he is only averaging 2.3 tackles per game and needs to lift this to at least 5.0 (the best smalls in the F50)

LostDoggy
19-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Why is Stack getting a game before Everitt? I mean even though Everitt is tall he is much more versatile than Stack. I see Andrejs as a player who will slip away and lose faith in the club. When does his contract end? I'm guessing he will look to move clubs if he is starved of opportunity the rest of the year, which is a shame.

bornadog
19-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Why is Stack getting a game before Everitt? I mean even though Everitt is tall he is much more versatile than Stack. I see Andrejs as a player who will slip away and lose faith in the club. When does his contract end? I'm guessing he will look to move clubs if he is starved of opportunity the rest of the year, which is a shame.

I don't believe Everitt and Stack are playing for the same role, so its not a good comparison.

Rocco Jones
19-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't believe Everitt and Stack are playing for the same role, so its not a good comparison.

This week we have bought in an extra forward. I don't think team selection is as black and white as having to replace a forward with a forward. I think we have too many forwards in the side as it is, Eade is seemingly trying to solve our problems in having goal scoring depth by playing as many forwards as possible. Not really helpful when they aren't good enough.

bornadog
19-06-2010, 04:48 PM
This week we have bought in an extra forward. I don't think team selection is as black and white as having to replace a forward with a forward. I think we have too many forwards in the side as it is, Eade is seemingly trying to solve our problems in having goal scoring depth by playing as many forwards as possible. Not really helpful when they aren't good enough.

I don't think so. The MC would have looked at all the match ups and put the best team in.

Rocco Jones
19-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't think so. The MC would have looked at all the match ups and put the best team in.

People are allowed to have opinions different to the MC mate. I know it sonds radical but maybe sometimes Eade and co. are wrong. Either way, I think a quality forum has discussion from both sides rather than having to conform to one view.

bornadog
19-06-2010, 05:04 PM
People are allowed to have opinions different to the MC mate. I know it sonds radical but maybe sometimes Eade and co. are wrong. Either way, I think a quality forum has discussion from both sides rather than having to conform to one view.

I didn't say you couldn't have a different opinion. I am just disagreeing with yours.

Rocco Jones
19-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I didn't say you couldn't have a different opinion. I am just disagreeing with yours.

I am not sure whether agreeing with whatever the MC does is really an opinion but fair enough.

Mantis
19-06-2010, 08:03 PM

We are playing just 6 'pure' forwards - Hall, Grant, Johnson, Stack, Hill & Hahn and even a couple of these can move around a little.

How many should we be playing?

Before I Die
19-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I am not sure whether agreeing with whatever the MC does is really an opinion but fair enough.

???????????

I think agreeing with the MC on a particular issue is having an opinion.

I would also contend that having confidence in the MC is an opinion in itself.

Rocco Jones
19-06-2010, 08:14 PM
We are playing just 6 'pure' forwards - Hall, Grant, Johnson, Stack, Hill & Hahn and even a couple of these can move around a little.

How many should we be playing?

The lines between HF and being a 'runner' are very blurred and I think 6 'pure forwards' are a lot in the modern game. It's fine if they are quality players but if not, they come with a big risk of being a liability.

Gia spends a lot of time forward in a HF role. Others like Minson and Cooney can be rotated through there at times.

I am not saying massive changes, just dropping one of those forwards (Stack basically). I would have Everitt ahead of him who could add flexibility by playing forward and/or back. I don't think he is a great option by any means, just a better option than Stack.

Rocco Jones
19-06-2010, 08:17 PM
???????????

I think agreeing with the MC on a particular issue is having an opinion.

I would also contend that having confidence in the MC is an opinion in itself.

'The MC would have looked at all the match ups and put the best team in' sounds pretty blanket statement to me mate. If he said something about catering for the Eagles in some manner or another fair enough, but he sounded very 'the MC knows more than us, so we are silly to disagree!' to me.

lemmon
19-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I think the biggest argument for keeping Stack in is that he can provide a role as a crumber who provides defensive pressure, but does he really do that?
I think his pace is a myth, he's not super quick and is not in the Varcoe/Rioli/Davey category for pace, his tackles don't seem to stick and for a 22 year old with a relatively strong body I can't see how this will improve. His hands at ground level aren't great, another cross for a guy who isn't a threat in the air.
He averages 2.3 tackles a game well down on other guys who play similar roles: Varcoe- 4.3, Rioli- 4.8, Hooper- 3.0 Davey- 6.4 Jetta- 4.5
Small forwards must harass the opposition backline when they have the ball, he doesn't provide a lot in this area.
He does have a strong body and silky skills, IMO he simply wont survive as a small forward without pace and unless he can move into the midfield, it may be the end of the road.

Before I Die
19-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I think the biggest argument for keeping Stack in is that he can provide a role as a crumber who provides defensive pressure, but does he really do that?
I think his pace is a myth, he's not super quick and is not in the Varcoe/Rioli/Davey category for pace, his tackles don't seem to stick and for a 22 year old with a relatively strong body I can't see how this will improve. His hands at ground level aren't great, another cross for a guy who isn't a threat in the air.
He averages 2.3 tackles a game well down on other guys who play similar roles: Varcoe- 4.3, Rioli- 4.8, Hooper- 3.0 Davey- 6.4 Jetta- 4.5
Small forwards must harass the opposition backline when they have the ball, he doesn't provide a lot in this area.
He does have a strong body and silky skills, IMO he simply wont survive as a small forward without pace and unless he can move into the midfield, it may be the end of the road.

I think he is playing for his career at the moment. With Johnno, Higgins, Ward and Aker unavailable I suspect Eade is giving him one last chance to show what he can do. Both Wallis Jnr and Libba Jnr are likely to get games next year and will most likely start their careers on the HFF. We need a small forward desperately, but therer will be no room in the team for one who is simply so so.

bornadog
19-06-2010, 09:37 PM

So how do you see Grants contribution in comparison to Stack? Statistically very similar.

Mantis
19-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I think he is playing for his career at the moment. With Johnno, Ward and Aker unavailable I suspect Eade is giving him one last chance to show what he can do. Both Wallis Jnr and Libba Jnr are likely to get games next year and will most likely start their careers on the HFF. We need a small forward desperately, but therer will be no room in the team for one who is simply so so.

Didn't Stack sign a 2 yr contract last year?

For Stack to get the boot at the end of the year it would mean we would turn-over 7 or 8 players which is unlikely.

lemmon
19-06-2010, 11:32 PM
So how do you see Grants contribution in comparison to Stack? Statistically very similar.

Yet they play different roles and have different purposes in the side, Grant has been really playing as a high, hit up half forward and is averaging his 6 marks a game, exactly what the side is asking of that role. Stack on the other hand, to play his role must apply defensive pressure which he has not been doing. I would hardly call their statistics very similar either Grants average 6 marks and 15 disposals a game, Stack is averaging 10.5 and Hill 12.5 though Hill has been able to contribute on the scoreboard.

Mofra
20-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I am not saying massive changes, just dropping one of those forwards (Stack basically). I would have Everitt ahead of him who could add flexibility by playing forward and/or back. I don't think he is a great option by any means, just a better option than Stack.
Given Johnno will regain fitness in coming weeks and Ward will come back, Stack may be out with the same flexibility gained. Ward has the poise and finish to play on the HF line pinch-hitting in the centre, similar to the way Higgins has been played.

Mofra
20-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Good summary. I'm concerned he is very poor with his ball handling - small forwards need to master the quick gather whilst running at full tilt. Stack seems to have trouble picking the ball up. Watching Willy yesterday, even Roughy has it all over him for picking the ball off the deck.

The annoying thing about Stack is we know he can be an effective player - we've seen it against Sydney. There is just a consistency problem which is becoming very hard to ignore.

divvydan
20-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Final Teams:

WEST COAST v WESTERN BULLDOGS
West Coast
C: Matt Rosa, Matt Priddis, Patrick McGinnity
HF: Quinten Lynch, Mitchell Brown, Andrew Embley
Foll: Dean Cox, Brad Ebert, Scott Selwood
I/C: Bradd Dalziell, Nic Naitanui, Brad Sheppard, Koby Stevens

Changes to the selected side
In: Quinten Lynch
Out: Adam Selwood

Western Bulldogs
B: Brennan Stack, Brian Lake, Easton Wood
HF: Josh Hill, Mitch Hahn, Will Minson
I/C: Nathan Eagleton, Ryan Hargrave, Jarrod Harbrow, Brad Johnson

Changes to the selected side
Nil

LostDoggy
20-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Another tall forward in for them!

Mofra
20-06-2010, 04:37 PM
If they play Brown, Lynch and Kennedy in their F50, we should kill them for rebound. Wood will play on a tall and run off.
Perhaps Woosha is hoping Morris doesn't go to Le Cras?