PDA

View Full Version : Ins & Outs v Port

Go_Dogs
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
What do you think the changes will be this week?

It appears as though Lynch will be out, with perhaps another one or two players who didn't really have great days.

Who do we bring in to counter Port? I feel Wight could potentially be a good match up for Westhoff, but not too sure his B's form has been that inspiring. Robbins has kicked goals for a few weeks and could be an option, but we really need another running type player to come in, and not too sure who. Dmac will be another week or 2 away from pressing for selection I'd imagine, and not too sure whether or not Faulkner will get an opportunity. Everitt is another who could be close, and could release McMahon further up field which could be good. Minson and Skipper are another two who could possibly come into consideration, but not too sure whether we'd play one of them with Darcy and Street.

I also failed to mention Murphy who it appears could come back this week.

Thoughts?

bornadog
02-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Eade has stated that Murphy and Everitt will be in this week and made reference to the fact that some players have to look at where they are at. The way he was talking Power will be out and I think Lynch may need more time. Darcy didn't play well at all and is lucky to be playing at the moment. With Minson playing well at the B's I would bring him in for Darcy.

Sockeye Salmon
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
In: Murphy, Everitt
Out: Power, Lynch

Lock it in, Eddie.

LostDoggy
02-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Lock it in, Eddie.

Agree with Robbins being another possibility. Say if Murph isn't ready.
Would love to have Eagle, Cross and Griff back.
Would not have thought we would be short of runners.

Bulldog Revolution
02-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Eade has stated that Murphy and Everitt will be in this week and made reference to the fact that some players have to look at where they are at. The way he was talking Power will be out and I think Lynch may need more time. Darcy didn't play well at all and is lucky to be playing at the moment. With Minson playing well at the B's I would bring him in for Darcy.

What did he say about Power?

I thought Powers endeavour was really good yesterday - not sure I've ever seen him tackle so hard but I was extremely disappointed when he missed that shot for goal.

Sockeye Salmon
02-07-2007, 02:40 PM

I thought Powers endeavour was really good yesterday - not sure I've ever seen him tackle so hard but I was extremely disappointed when he missed that shot for goal.

Power was brought in to do a 'specific role'. Post match Eade said he was disappointed with someone who had a 'specific role'.

Mantis
02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Power was brought in to do a 'specific role'. Post match Eade said he was disappointed with someone who had a 'specific role'.

Was that specific role to annoy the hell out of the supoorters? He did that role quite well.

bornadog
02-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Correct

bornadog
02-07-2007, 05:40 PM

But a couple of tackles won't keep him in, infact I didn't think his form warranted inclusion in the first place.

Mofra
02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Out: Lynch (too raw), Power & Darcy
In: Everitt, Murphy & Minson

Might come up with some injury excuse for Darcy. Harris will stay but I wouldn't expect him to train too hard this week.

Go_Dogs
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Darcy was one of our best the game before the break, I don't think one bad game will see him out, Minson would have to be close to getting a recall though.

Raw Toast
03-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Darcy was one of our best the game before the break, I don't think one bad game will see him out, Minson would have to be close to getting a recall though.

Agree re Darcy - played pretty well against the Lions and very well against the Dockers.

What was the role Power was brought in to do? (I couldn't get to the game unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately).

Dry Rot
03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
What was the role Power was brought in to do?

From what has been posted elsewhere be the scapegoat for the loss, it seems.

Mantis
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
What was the role Power was brought in to do? (I couldn't get to the game unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately).

He started on Corey Jones so you could only assume it was for this reason.

bornadog
03-07-2007, 02:11 PM
From what has been posted elsewhere be the scapegoat for the loss, it seems.

Eade said privately that Power was brought in for a specific role but didn't elaborate what the role was. I think he is gawn this week, he is very dissapointing and if it wasn't for injuries, he is lucky to get a game.

Go_Dogs
04-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Just Power's lack of awareness on the field is horrible. When West got ran down from behind on the Roos 50M arch, Power was the guy running past West, looking for a handball so he could get another cheap sideways kick in the backline, it was obvious that West was hot, surely Power could've seen the guy closing in on him, but no voice, no awareness, Westy gets run down and another free-kick to the Roos inside their F50.

There are just so many instances where he looks clueless and doesn't seem to have that good a grasp of the game, I think he'd be lucky to play again this year.

Sockeye Salmon
04-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Just Power's lack of awareness on the field is horrible. When West got ran down from behind on the Roos 50M arch, Power was the guy running past West, looking for a handball so he could get another cheap sideways kick in the backline, it was obvious that West was hot, surely Power could've seen the guy closing in on him, but no voice, no awareness, Westy gets run down and another free-kick to the Roos inside their F50.

There are just so many instances where he looks clueless and doesn't seem to have that good a grasp of the game, I think he'd be lucky to play again this year.

I don't think that was Power's fault.

He was certainly saying something to West (you could clearly see his mouth moving on TV) and West should have given it to him. Perhaps West has no confidence in Power's kicking either?

Having said that, he was crap.

"Sam Power has a scalpel for a left foot" - Kevin Sheahan

Go_Dogs
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I more thought that Power was asking for the ball, not really communicating that it was because West was HOT. West obviously had no idea he was hot, otherwise he would've handballed, regardless of his confidence in Powers foot. He's just been ultra-frustrating this year poor Sammy.

LostDoggy
04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
"Sam Power has a scalpel for a left foot" - Kevin Sheahan

That is my favourite quote.

The bit that was left out was he has Edward Scissor hands.

Mantis
05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
That is my favourite quote.

The bit that was left out was he has Edward Scissor hands.

A group I stand with a bit at the footy call him the 'surgeon'.

Anyway onto this week:

In: Murphy, Minson, Skipper (CHF), Everitt

Out: Power, Darcy, Lynch, Addison

bornadog
05-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Backs McMahon Harris Morris
Half Backs Gilbee Williams Hargrave
Centreline Harbrow West Akermanis
Half Forwards Giansiracusa Johnson Hahn
Forwards Grant Darcy Higgins
Followers Street Cooney Boyd
Interchange Addison Murphy Everitt Ray
Emergencies Minson Robbins Wight

Out: Lynch, Power

Was predicted at the start of the week. I think Minson is unlucky.

southerncross
05-07-2007, 08:19 PM
I think Sockeye called the changes correctly early.

Of the emergencies, Wight could have been a great match-up for Westhoff.

bornadog
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM

Lock it in, Eddie.

spot on

LostDoggy
05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Was predicted at the start of the week. I think Minson is unlucky.
How is Minson unlucky? 1 half decent game in the past 3 weeks.

Go_Dogs
06-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Yeah, that's one that I thought may happen.

Interesting that the paper noted Power as out with a calf injury down here.

LostDoggy
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I think Sockeye called the changes correctly early.

Who would Williams get then?
With Harrgave,Morris, Grant and Harris I think we have plenty tall backman options. They just have to play better than last week.

Mantis
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Who would Williams get then?
With Harrgave,Morris, Grant and Harris I think we have plenty tall backman options. They just have to play better than last week.

There meduim sized forwards in Ebert and Motlop worry me more than the talls.

Bulldog Revolution
06-07-2007, 03:39 PM
spot on

Yep that Sockeye was channeling the spirits again earlier in the week

bornadog
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, that's one that I thought may happen.

Interesting that the paper noted Power as out with a calf injury down here.

Eade mentioned the Calf on 3 AW on Tuesday night.

bornadog
06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
How is Minson unlucky? 1 half decent game in the past 3 weeks.

I think he has been playing well in the B's, maybe the Port match he wasn't too hot. Lucky, beacuse I think in 13 games Darcy has probably only played a couple of good games and we really need a backup for Street.

southerncross
06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Do the Cornes brothers pose the biggest risk to a Doggies win?

Dry Rot
06-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm more concerned about Lade going forward.

What's our record at AAMI against Port like? IIRC it's awful v the Crows there.

southerncross
06-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm more concerned about Lade going forward.

What's our record at AAMI against Port like? IIRC it's awful v the Crows there.

It's not great at the AAMI venue but this is our home game at the Telstra Dome

southerncross
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
This from AFL.com

Everitt unfazed by debut: Bulldogs coach

4:12 PM Fri 6 July, 2007 | Back (javascript:history.go(-1);)
By Robert Grant and Steve Larkin
AAP

News

BULLDOGS coach Rodney Eade is confident the club's latest debutant, Andrejs Everitt, won't buckle under any pressure his famous surname might bring.
The lanky and dreadlocked 18-year-old is a stark reminder of the image his brother and Swans ruckman Peter Everitt projected only a few years ago.
While he might bear the same name, Eade doesn't expect the younger Everitt to feel the heat of his first AFL senior game against Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome on Saturday.
"He's a pretty laid-back young lad," Eade said.
"He's a very quiet, fairly shy sort of guy, so he doesn't seem to be too fazed by it."
Everitt will be the fourth debutant the Bulldogs have unveiled this season and Eade said his current form meant he could no longer be overlooked.
"Andrejs has demanded it by form but certainly it's great to get another young lad into the team," he said.
"He was recruited as a backman but he's played well in the midfield and on a wing.
"He's very athletic, a nice kick but obviously a very lean young lad.
"But he's a footballer first, he reads the game very well so we've got high hopes for him."
Eade was philosophical about the logjam of teams jostling for a spot in the top eight, but denied it was a tense time for his ninth-placed Bulldogs.
"I think it will stay the same until round 22 with probably 12 teams at the moment; I think it's going to ebb and flow," he said.
Eade was also unconcerned about the Bulldogs' poor record against sixth-placed Port – they have won just one of their past 10 encounters.
"I'm not big on history...those sort of stats don't worry me too much," Eade said.
Port is likely to be without young goalsneak Robbie Gray, who failed to complete training on Friday because of a calf injury.
Power coach Mark Williams said former Bulldog Josh Mahoney or Andrew Krakouer were likely replacements for Gray.
Williams also said he expected the Dogs to try and run Port off their collective feet.
"That is their way ... they play a particular way and that is what they will do again," Williams said.
"Last week they lost to North (the Kangaroos) but they had 30 shots at goal.
"They are still going to have shots...it's going to be a little hold-your-breath-type atmosphere, but they will give us opportunities to score as well, that is how they play."

Bulldog Revolution
06-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Do the Cornes brothers pose the biggest risk to a Doggies win?

I think its both sets of brothers - the cornes and the burgoynes - shaun killed us even before he had fully arrived at afl level

LostDoggy
06-07-2007, 11:59 PM
I think its both sets of brothers - the cornes and the burgoynes - shaun killed us even before he had fully arrived at afl level

I agree. Junior Burger is an exceptional talent.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Shaun needs a hard tag placed on him. We can win this, I'm confident.

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 07:03 PM

They are all great players. Those Burgoynes are terrific runners and the Cornes brothers are tougher than some give them credit for. Port aren't far of being a good team again given some of the development their younger group is getting.
From our perspective it's great to see the likes Williams, Harbrow, Addison and Higgins really coming into the team and gaining some invaluable experience.
They still have a way to go, especially the defensive side of Higgins's game for example, but we are developing players to eventually replace some of our star players like Grant and West.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Whoever it was that called Hahn for Chad, was a brilliant call...boy his motor was impressive today.

I think Port lost out by playing Peter for too long out the backline, and using Kane as a tag on Gilbee, Gilbee didn't have his usual influence but was still good, whilst Kane could barely get a touch. Peter should've been moved up field way earlier too, he was loose on his opponents for much of the game, and although he created a bit from down back, he wasn't overly effective until moved centre/forward.

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 07:24 PM
McMahon got a heap of it today but he frustrates me. He turned the ball over a few times and gave Kane Cornes to much latitude when he was matched up on him. He did do a brilliant tackle and the run he provides is great but there is a big gap between his best and worst in game.

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Whoever it was that called Hahn for Chad, was a brilliant call...boy his motor was impressive today.

I think Port lost out by playing Peter for too long out the backline, and using Kane as a tag on Gilbee, Gilbee didn't have his usual influence but was still good, whilst Kane could barely get a touch. Peter should've been moved up field way earlier too, he was loose on his opponents for much of the game, and although he created a bit from down back, he wasn't overly effective until moved centre/forward.

It was an interesting matchup and it worked well for us.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 07:29 PM
McMahon got a heap of it today but he frustrates me. He turned the ball over a few times and gave Kane Cornes to much latitude when he was matched up on him. He did do a brilliant tackle and the run he provides is great but there is a big gap between his best and worst in game.

Agreed that today wasn't one of his best efforts, turned the ball over a few times by foot, but generally our skills today were below standard across the board.

I'd really like to see McMahon tried further up the field in a role that doesn't require him to be so negative and defensive, either off a wing or off a HFF. His turnovers through the middle of the ground are very costly, but I wouldn't mind seeing him taking control of the ball forward of centre and delivering lace out to Johnno, Robbins, Murph etc.

LostDoggy
07-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Agreed that today wasn't one of his best efforts, turned the ball over a few times by foot, but generally our skills today were below standard across the board.

I'd really like to see McMahon tried further up the field in a role that doesn't require him to be so negative and defensive, either off a wing or off a HFF. His turnovers through the middle of the ground are very costly, but I wouldn't mind seeing him taking control of the ball forward of centre and delivering lace out to Johnno, Robbins, Murph etc.

I remember him as a wingman and he would often get lost during a game. The defence allows him to run and create play so I think as long as he isn't deep in defence the backline is the spot for him.
Do you think the flooding of our forward line tested us?

Go_Dogs
07-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Today we were more patient that we have been, as Power got numbers back, but didn't apply enough direct pressure to the ball carrier, which gave us a bit of time to spot up the right option, where as against other teams who work a bit harder, we don't have the time to spot up a good option and the flood kills us. Today we handled it well, but I think it's more so that Port didn't pressure as hard as a lot of other opponents will.

I think McMahon has developed a lot over the last few years, and I think it's a worthwhile experiment to push him forward for a few games. His run and carry from defence has been very important, but I think he could be more useful perhaps in another role.