PDA

View Full Version : What I Have Learned On The Weekend

Scraggers
22-06-2010, 06:42 PM
What I have learned on the weekend

On the weekend I had the pleasure of going into the rooms before the game and watching the boys warm up, then watching a ten goal drubbing of the hated Eagles (for those of us that live in Western Australia, this is a big thing) … I hate the Chardonnay Sippers, they are not there for the footy, it is more a social standing to be a member and wear a stupid tartan scarf and shout good catch number 20 … AAAAARRRRGGGH !!!!! … sorry, the therapy is working … really !!

Anyway, this was a highly educational experience for me. I have shared below what I have learned …

Facts that we already know …

· 18 of the 22 players on the park against the Eagles had shots on goals … 11 of them kicking a goal (or more).
· We are still not playing at our best … If the improvement keeps moving in this positive direction, we will have a shot at the flag this year.
· Easton Wood should be cemented in our 22 … his work down back was sensational and it allows Harbrow to be moved on to the ball (also a good move).
· The flexibility of Murphy, Hahn, Harbrow, Lake etc to play either forward or back adds another string to our bow. If we continue down this way, we will become very difficult to match up.
· Rodney Eade is a visionary …He will lead this club to its first Premiership since ’54.

What I have learned …

· Robert Murphy is one of the nicest blokes you ever want to meet.
· Most players give Ben Hudson shit for the BHBAS … in particular the shirts and scarves with his ugly mug sporting the People’s Beard.
· Barry Hall is a huge unit … shirt off he is massive compared to most other Bulldogs
· In comparison, Liam Picken is not, he is a boy … but, he IS the baby-faced assassin.
· Leon Cameron, Peter Dean and Paul Williams are an integral part of pre-match preparation. Their work with the players during warm-up was very evident. The discussion of match ups, paths to run on Subiaco Oval, set plays etc … just re-emphasising the important parts of the game plan.
· As Team Captain, Brad Johnson is as good as an Assistant Coach; he was also in every player's ear about their role … he instilled confidence (particularly with the junior players). You can literally see the players stand a foot taller when he is around them. This team wants to play for Brad.
· The rubber bands players put on their feet to work the quads etc., are bloody funny! Watching players ‘crab walk’ around (or even doing the 80’s ‘Genesis’ Shuffle) was hilarious !!
· Most Importantly … In the last five (or so) years, we have become a very professional outfit. From Head Coach to boot strapper, everyone knows their role and everyone fulfils their role to the best of their ability … WE ARE NO LONGER JUST A SUBURBAN FOOTY TEAM !!

· Oh ... and Subiaco Oval security need to get a life outside of their work (personal gripe)

My thanks to the football department at the Western Bulldogs (in Particular David McNamara) for giving me this opportunity last weekend, it is one I will never forget.

I am sure I have missed lots; please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability !!

The Coon Dog
22-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Bloody lucky bugger!

Thanks Scraggers.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-06-2010, 06:58 PM
What an awesome experience Scraggers, thanks for sharing!

mighty_west
22-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Sounds like a fantastic experience you had there Scragger, well done mate.

Great photo's in the other thread as well.

LostDoggy
22-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Gotta agree with you on the rubber bands and the Genesis shuffle. Found it the highlight in the hilarity department when I had a similar honour not too long ago. :D

Ghost Dog
22-06-2010, 09:03 PM
How about Gia? Did you get the feeling he will be captain material from the way he related to the players?
I'm Jealous. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing rooms.

LostDoggy
22-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing your fantastic experience - geez, I'm just a little bit envious!

Templeton31
22-06-2010, 10:10 PM
thanks scraggers.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Just a quick one (more likely a home game thing) What was the mood around the boys not playing did they have any roles or prep work with the playing squad.

Also was the doctor flat out or was all fit and well.

Doc26
22-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks Scraggers for sharing.

What I learnt on the weekend is just how pleasing it is to start to have some depth available again. Just love it when the young ones step up i.e Wood and Grant as it gives us credit in the bank. With the likes of Ward, Reid, Dre, Roughy even Callan and before long Aker all now legitimate options available to us I'm hopeful that the bar will rise in the second half as the fighting for positions becomes hotly contested amongst those on the fringe.

Scraggers
23-06-2010, 03:29 AM
How about Gia? Did you get the feeling he will be captain material from the way he related to the players?
I'm Jealous. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing rooms.

To be quite honest ... no

Cooney, Griff, Bobby, Huddo, Bazza ... that's where most of the talk was coming from. Gia obviously has a 'before game' procedure / process / program that he follows and he pretty much kept to that. But this could be an unfair representation of his relationships, because with Brad Johnson present, most of the talking to players was done by him.

Just a quick one (more likely a home game thing) What was the mood around the boys not playing did they have any roles or prep work with the playing squad.

Also was the doctor flat out or was all fit and well.

There were no players that were not playing taking part in the warm-up in any capacity (watching / talking / warming up etc) from my vantage point, it was only the 22 players, coaches and staff in the rooms.

As Rocket mentioned in his after-game media commitments, there was initial concern with Lake's Hip; this was monitored more by the trainers / masseurs / assistant coaches / Rocket etc. The Doc was not doing much ... a few salt tablets, that's about it.

Scraggers
23-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Another thing I learned ...

Cooney's tattoo looks so much better close up than it does on T.V.

LostDoggy
23-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Another thing I learned ...

Cooney's tattoo looks so much better close up than it does on T.V.

Hehehe!:D

Mofra
23-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Good info, cheers.

cambo
23-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I too was at the game but not as lucky as u Scragger!! u lucky bugger, how sweet it was to smash the Eagles!

1 gripe I have is I dont think we get enough for our West Australian membership, we have to pay around $170 a year then have to pay full price for tickets to games at Subi ($65) I was hoping the players would give out a few freebies like they do in Melbourne after a win, it was pleasing to see the players come down our end after the game to thank the supporters.

Mantis
23-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I too was at the game but not as lucky as u Scragger!! u lucky bugger, how sweet it was to smash the Eagles!

1 gripe I have is I dont think we get enough for our West Australian membership, we have to pay around $170 a year then have to pay full price for tickets to games at Subi ($65) I was hoping the players would give out a few freebies like they do in Melbourne after a win, it was pleasing to see the players come down our end after the game to thank the supporters.

It would be great if they could somehow work into your membership a reserved ticket/s for the games we play in WA. Not sure how it could be done with WC especially having a huge following, but it would give some benefit to you folk who support the club from afar.

Perhaps it is something to raise with the membership dept. or the committee of the WA supporters group.

mjp
23-06-2010, 11:22 AM
1 gripe I have is I dont think we get enough for our West Australian membership, we have to pay around $170 a year then have to pay full price for tickets to games at Subi ($65).

$170 plus wife and kids plus social club etc etc...

It really is just a donation to the club (which I am not against) and I am not really sure what else the club could do...but there are times when you do question exactly what it is all for though. When you are not interested in being involved in the supporters club and can't get enough tickets for all the members in your family to go to the game it is a bit disappointing.

I don't mind paying for the tickets to see the games - I just wish I could get a guaranteed seat for all of the members in my family (5).

Go_Dogs
23-06-2010, 01:31 PM
To be quite honest ... no

Cooney, Griff, Bobby, Huddo, Bazza ... that's where most of the talk was coming from.

I really like the fact that Cooney and Griff were involved.

Thanks for your report Scraggers, excellent stuff mate!

LostDoggy
23-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Was also great to see you (albeit briefly) after the game mate — always awesome to see a fellow People's Beard scarf in the crowd, and even more so at Subiaco.

Have to second your comments on the absolute ******* morons that attend West Coast Eagles games. Things I found hilarious:

The "Eagle Rock" that is played at half time, with the Eagle mascot standing on the fence dancing like that goofy baseball mascot on the Simpsons.
At the end of every quarter but the last, there is a "synthetic chant": SGIO, go Eagles go! SGIO, go Eagles go! I shit you not — not only can they not chant and must be assisted, but the sponsors squeeze their names in there too…
The 40-something bloke who pushed me and tried to start a fight with me whilst my three very young children stood beside me. Idiot… Spewin' I didn't see him again AFTER the 10 goal thrashing, and he was incredibly lucky my children were present, pacifist that I am…
The constant cries of "When did you win your last flag?" when we belted their asses, only to earn my reply: "Mate, you just got belted by ten goals!"
I promised my children we'd sing all the way home. They took it literally and sang the song ALL THE WAY HOME. 60kms and 1.5 hours of Sons Of The West…
Josh Kennedy's set shot twinkle-toes routine…

Danny the snakeman
23-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I think you forgot 1 other thing BornA Scragger and that is what a bunch of sore losers the eagles supporters are,the ground was nearly half empty with 10 mins to go.

LostDoggy
23-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Great behind the scenes post - sounds like a great experience!

We are moving in the right direction - there are so many positives coming out at the moment - i still believe we are a fair bit off our best which is extremely exciting. Have really liked Woods last 2 games and with Higgins, Ward almost walk up starters and also Reid, Everitt, Roughie dominating the VFL we are in a great position... and Aker too (if his fit I think he is in our best 22)...

In closing the "crab walk" / tube walk is to activate glute med muscles which are the major stablisation muscle of the pelvis. Great exercise is harder than it looks - my clients hate it : )

Scraggers
23-06-2010, 06:24 PM
It would be great if they could somehow work into your membership a reserved ticket/s for the games we play in WA. Not sure how it could be done with WC especially having a huge following, but it would give some benefit to you folk who support the club from afar.

Perhaps it is something to raise with the membership dept. or the committee of the WA supporters group.

I have raised this with membership a number of times, in fact I probably started this conversation with them nearly six years ago.

What has come about within this time though is an Interstate Membership. It is still considered a 'game day' membership, just costs less ($100 from memory) and entitles you to three home games - in Melbourne !! But this a step in the right direction.

Scraggers
23-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Was also great to see you (albeit briefly) after the game mate — always awesome to see a fellow People's Beard scarf in the crowd, and even more so at Subiaco.
Have to second your comments on the absolute ******* morons that attend West Coast Eagles games. Things I found hilarious:

The "Eagle Rock" that is played at half time, with the Eagle mascot standing on the fence dancing like that goofy baseball mascot on the Simpsons.
At the end of every quarter but the last, there is a "synthetic chant": SGIO, go Eagles go! SGIO, go Eagles go! I shit you not — not only can they not chant and must be assisted, but the sponsors squeeze their names in there too…
The 40-something bloke who pushed me and tried to start a fight with me whilst my three very young children stood beside me. Idiot… Spewin' I didn't see him again AFTER the 10 goal thrashing, and he was incredibly lucky my children were present, pacifist that I am…
The constant cries of "When did you win your last flag?" when we belted their asses, only to earn my reply: "Mate, you just got belted by ten goals!"
I promised my children we'd sing all the way home. They took it literally and sang the song ALL THE WAY HOME. 60kms and 1.5 hours of Sons Of The West…

Great to catch up with you too ;)

The Eagle Rock I don't mind ... bloody funny how they try to sing it when they're getting flogged though ... possibly something they could do before the game.

Fremantle do something similar with AC/DC's T.N.T ... but instead of shout 'Coz I"m TNT ... they shout Coz we're Fre ... man ... tle we're dynamite.

I can't stand the SGIO Go Eagles Go chant ... I mean seriously :eek:

Eagle supporters really are a breed unto themselves ... as I described them in my initial post Chardonnay Sippers with tartan scarves. I have quite a few 'friends' that are Eagles supporters, and I wouldn't consider any of them football scholars.

cambo
23-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Great post love all of it and totally agree with your first 2 and last comments hahahahah Josh Kennedy your a knob!!

cambo
23-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I think you forgot 1 other thing BornA Scragger and that is what a bunch of sore losers the eagles supporters are,the ground was nearly half empty with 10 mins to go.

How funny was that! great supporters HEY!! not as bad as round 1 last year when we belted Freo there intire cheer squad left at 3 qtr time
I now know why i never changed teams when WA teams came in Ive been a doggie for 42 years and will never change!!

Ghost Dog
23-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Great post love all of it and totally agree with your first 2 and last comments hahahahah Josh Kennedy your a knob!!

How is his accuracy? I am surprised they let him do it, but maybe he is a dead eye for goal?

LostDoggy
24-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Great to catch up with you too ;)

The Eagle Rock I don't mind ... bloody funny how they try to sing it when they're getting flogged though ... possibly something they could do before the game.

Fremantle do something similar with AC/DC's T.N.T ... but instead of shout 'Coz I"m TNT ... they shout Coz we're Fre ... man ... tle we're dynamite.

Eagle supporters really are a breed unto themselves ... as I described them in my initial post Chardonnay Sippers with tartan scarves. I have quite a few 'friends' that are Eagles supporters, and I wouldn't consider any of them football scholars.

But in Fremantle's case, they're right — highly volatile and could explode at any moment…

I remember living in Perth in 2005 — you most likely remember this also — and they didn't even know who they were playing come Grand Final week. They'd smile and say, “We're going to smash them this weekend” and I'd say, “Who are you playing?” (knowing full well) and they'd just look dumbstruck.

When Leaping Leo made that day my finest in WA, they all took down their colours and flags and decorations on houses etc within about 30 minutes.

None of them could ever be a Bulldogs supporter. Not worthy.

New chant idea for Eagles, honouring their other sponsor: “Hungry Jacks, we're a bunch of hacks… Hungry Jacks, we look like ball sacks…” :)

LostDoggy
24-06-2010, 12:20 AM

Check out game highlight call from before game on Game Day R13 thread!

mjp
24-06-2010, 11:53 AM

West Coast should simply make this their club song. I don't know anyone who would be against this idea.

Sponsors. I seem to recall a very annoying ad on the video screen at Telstra Dome in either 2005 or 2006 every time we kicked a goal that raised everyone's ire as well. The fact it is being mentioned on a Bulldogs forum probably means it is working from a brand recognition perspective.

West Coast members aren't really that different to members of every other team...they have an equal balance of those with an idea and those without. The only other two sides with as many supporters with a casual interest in what is going on are Collingwood and Sydney...and when those sides are going well their casual fans are equally clueless and equally annoying.

If only we (as a club) had the same problem. We would sell a heap more merchandise!

stefoid
24-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Pretty glad we stopped our doggie doggie doggie nonsense. that was cringeworthy. This is AFL, it doesnt need any artificial enthusiasm.

mjp
24-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Pretty glad we stopped our doggie doggie doggie nonsense. that was cringeworthy. This is AFL, it doesnt need any artificial enthusiasm.

There was all kinds of woofing going on in the crowd last weekend...not sure it has been stopped.

Desipura
24-06-2010, 03:48 PM
There was all kinds of woofing going on in the crowd last weekend...not sure it has been stopped.

And alot of it is from people who are about 30kgs above their playing weight. Quiet ironic that they are doing the "woof" chant.

cammo78
24-06-2010, 04:08 PM
A big thanks to the WA Supporters Club for their hospitality at the Irish Club on Sunday night...was a great way to top off an excellent day in the Perth sun...will definitely be making the trip west a regular occurrence from now on.

LostDoggy
29-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't mind the Doggie Doggie Doggie chant. At first I cringed, but then I thought, “**** it, it's something different, it's a chant only we can do, and it's shitloads better than Geeeeeeeeeeeeloooooooooong.”

So yeah — DOGGIE DOGGIE DOGGIE! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

chef
30-06-2010, 07:56 AM
How is his accuracy? I am surprised they let him do it, but maybe he is a dead eye for goal?

84.2%.

He has kicked 32.6 for the year so far and with that sort of accuracy it wouldn't bother me if all the players in our side ran in for goal like that.