PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 way of the Season

Bumper Bulldogs
23-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Guys thoughts on our year so far!

I for one had very high hopes this year (even before the NAB cup) We are sitting 5th with 8 wins, Bazza is second on the Goal kicking, Our captain is back and we have seen that a few young guys can play.

We look closely at the playing group each week but what happens behind the closed walls.

Are we Happy with the new coaching staff?

Are we happy with the new fitness staff in their second year?

Are we totally happy with the development and ties with Williamstown?

mighty_west
23-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I think most of us would have thought that perhaps we may have had a few more wins on the board at this stage, and sittng in the top 3, there have eben a few really disappointing losses thus far, the Saints was a bitter pill to swallow, we had them on toast, also going down to the Bombers was another bad loss.

Sitting 5th, half a game behind Collingwood is not a bad place to be, but we just have to win games [stating the obvious i know], Freo have been the suprise packet, and even though i expect them to run out of gas in the second half of the season, we just cannot let them get too far ahead.

The Barry Hall factor, we all witnessed how well it was working in the pre season, unfortunatly he became a bit much of a focal point at times, but i guess that comes with getting to know his team mates, and the players getting to know how he plays, for the forwards to work around & with Barry, the past few weeks has seen a more healthy spread of goalkickers, but Barry has also been kicking goals, the thing i like most, is his body is still in great nic, and the way he presents & presents, still has good speed, loves a snap, so he isn't showing signs of slowing down.

A few of the experienced players have struggled for different reasons, Hahn copped that shocking head injury, has struggled ever since, but perhaps we see a new lease on life for him, playing down back, i think it's a good move, his almost knackered body won't have to put up with the same hits he has copped all his career, Rob Murphy as well, just looks a far more confident player running off half back, no more running up & dropping pretty easy chest marks, so i see both those moves as a win/win.

Jarrad Grant & to a lesser extent, Easton Wood, have both shown that they can take that next step, especially Granty, for all Willy watchers, would most likely all agree that he just looks a different player in the red white & blue, the work ethic, the great hands, the reading the play, the burning off his opponents, he used to tease us a bit with those skills at Williamstown, he has come with his full kit now he has just about established himself as a starting 22 player, now we can all see what Scotty Clayton saw in the kid, taking him with such a high draft pick.

As a lifelong Seagulls man, i am more than happy with the way things seems to be going, the SeaDogs players who deserve a spot in the ones, get a game in the ones, with a few of the first year draftees also grabbing a game or two here & there, i believe it's as good a mix as we could get right now with the alignment.

AndrewP6
23-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty disappointed thus far, to be honest. I had expected us as a team to be on the upward curve, but we've puttered along, shone briefly or crashed badly thus far. I had thought after the disappointment of THAT prelim final, we'd have come back breathing fire, but I'm yet to see it. The NAB Cup may have instilled a false sense of security in some of us (or been a 'false economy' as Rocket is fond of saying!), but we didn't outwardly appear to have let it get to us. Bazza has done everything we could have wanted and more, Grant has been impressive and looks the goods. Griff and Coons have been pretty good, and have had great moments. It's as a team we've been anti-climactic. Injuries have played a part, but there have been lost opportunities e.g. Saints, Bombers. I have to keep faith that we've plodded along and we'll hit our straps nearer the pointy end of the season.

Don't have much knowledge of the coaching staff/Willi alignment, to be honest. I guess with the likes of Roughy, Wood etc coming into the Dogs side, they must be going OK :)

LostDoggy
23-06-2010, 11:53 PM
My main concern is that we haven't beaten those we will be playing in September.

macca
24-06-2010, 12:06 AM
My main concern is that we haven't beaten those we will be playing in September.

Very good call. We have dropped games where we should have won: sainters, letting Collingwood now twice get 5 goals ahead by 3 quarter time, dropping Lions game first time this year we played them, almost losing to Melbourne in the wet.... We haven't been very convincing.

Expecting more of the players to step up, or at least be more consistent, it just has not happened. Cooney needs to start burning his opponents off, Boyd needs to be more consistent, Hahn keep bullocking his way, Gia needs to capitalise on his class and delivery, he is not a physical player and stop being one. Why does Higgins keep being played when his injured ? Last year Eade had a few opportunities to play Wood, and Reid, really they should have at least 10 games under their belt now. For heaven sake give Everitt a good decent run, he could be anything. Hargrave has had a shocker. But notably, our defence has held up well, with Williams really taking a step up, Lake apart from last game having a great year, and Harbrow sensational rebounding and taking players on. Minson should play more time forward this yearn with Hall, as then Big Will is under less pressure to take the big mark, then he won't have to think about it, and let it just happen. If we play Richmond again, we should start Lake at full forward, and play Boumann or a young kid, even Tiller. Get some game time in some of these recruits as well.

LongWait
24-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Like most on here I've been disappointed with the year so far, but despite having had a lot of injuries, we are yet to be belted by anyone - almost all of our losses were also games we might have won.

On the other hand, unfortunately there is a fair gap between ourselves and Geelong at the moment. I take heart that a lot can change in a few weeks of footy (look at Hawthorn and Brisbane.)

LostDoggy
24-06-2010, 12:20 PM

Short and sweet and to the heart of the matter cobber.

Lets start with Hawthorn as a warm up to getting that right. Maybe the Freo match will decide whether we get top 4 or not.

LostDoggy
24-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Like it or not, having to now fight and fight bloody hard for the top four spot instead of soaring into it like Geelong have is actually better for us given our culture. As long as we don't fluff it up.

I'm also of the opinion that we stand a better chance come the prelim if we play all four weeks in September. A break would be the end of us — historically we always suck after a rest and I'll be watching the Hawks game VERY keenly to see if this continues this year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I think most of us would have thought that perhaps we may have had a few more wins on the board at this stage, and sittng in the top 3, there have eben a few really disappointing losses thus far, the Saints was a bitter pill to swallow, we had them on toast, also going down to the Bombers was another bad loss.

Sitting 5th, half a game behind Collingwood is not a bad place to be, but we just have to win games [stating the obvious i know], Freo have been the suprise packet, and even though i expect them to run out of gas in the second half of the season, we just cannot let them get too far ahead.

The Barry Hall factor, we all witnessed how well it was working in the pre season, unfortunatly he became a bit much of a focal point at times, but i guess that comes with getting to know his team mates, and the players getting to know how he plays, for the forwards to work around & with Barry, the past few weeks has seen a more healthy spread of goalkickers, but Barry has also been kicking goals, the thing i like most, is his body is still in great nic, and the way he presents & presents, still has good speed, loves a snap, so he isn't showing signs of slowing down.

A few of the experienced players have struggled for different reasons, Hahn copped that shocking head injury, has struggled ever since, but perhaps we see a new lease on life for him, playing down back, i think it's a good move, his almost knackered body won't have to put up with the same hits he has copped all his career, Rob Murphy as well, just looks a far more confident player running off half back, no more running up & dropping pretty easy chest marks, so i see both those moves as a win/win.

Jarrad Grant & to a lesser extent, Easton Wood, have both shown that they can take that next step, especially Granty, for all Willy watchers, would most likely all agree that he just looks a different player in the red white & blue, the work ethic, the great hands, the reading the play, the burning off his opponents, he used to tease us a bit with those skills at Williamstown, he has come with his full kit now he has just about established himself as a starting 22 player, now we can all see what Scotty Clayton saw in the kid, taking him with such a high draft pick.

As a lifelong Seagulls man, i am more than happy with the way things seems to be going, the SeaDogs players who deserve a spot in the ones, get a game in the ones, with a few of the first year draftees also grabbing a game or two here & there, i believe it's as good a mix as we could get right now with the alignment.

Without doubt injuries to Johnson, Higgins, Murphy, Hargrave, Williams and now Akermanis have impacted on the team. The inability to adjust to a new forward line set up has also proved costly. At different times we looked too one dimensional with all roads leading to Barry Hall. Jarrad Grant has been terrific and the injection of Easton Wood in the past two weeks, significant. The possibility of moving Harbrow into the midfield provides some exciting possibilities for the remainder of the season.The game these days is won in the midfield that's why Cross,Boyd, Cooney and Griffen become so important and with Hudson enjoying a terrific season, we need these players to be at the top of their game to match the main challengers in Geelong, St. Kilda and Collingwood.

bornadog
24-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Without doubt injuries to Johnson, Higgins, Murphy, Hargrave, Williams and now Akermanis have impacted on the team. The inability to adjust to a new forward line set up has also proved costly. At different times we looked too one dimensional with all roads leading to Barry Hall. Jarrad Grant has been terrific and the injection of Easton Wood in the past two weeks, significant. The possibility of moving Harbrow into the midfield provides some exciting possibilities for the remainder of the season.The game these days is won in the midfield that's why Cross,Boyd, Cooney and Griffen become so important and with Hudson enjoying a terrific season, we need these players to be at the top of their game to match the main challengers in Geelong, St. Kilda and Collingwood.

Agree, and on the positive side for the season to date, we haven't been blown away by any one. The first game against Collingwood, was the worse loss as far as the scoreboard is concerned.

I would like to have had at least two more wins on the board, especially the Saints game where we dominated and lost in the last few minutes.

LongWait
24-06-2010, 02:35 PM

We've beaten Hawthorn once and will again in a week's time.

Cyberdoggie
24-06-2010, 03:03 PM
The last 2 weeks i felt we had the balance right.

I think the coach has had a slightly "Pim" of a season with some ok results and some dissapointing ones.

The point is that we seem to be learning from that and have made adjustments as well as had a look at some of the younger players coming through at the right time of the season.

What's gone wrong:
*taken a while to adjust to Barry
*players forgot how to take risks and back themselves
*forward and midfield accountability still a problem when we aren't scoring
*the gamble on keeping older players for a "one more time around/we were so close" year isn't working
*Minson and soy milk = bad
*The big tall defenders can't all play at the same time
*Everitt, much better endeavour than last year but where do you play him?
*lack of quality small forwards to work with Barry
*Hill and Stack not showing enough when it counts
*Hargrave's up and down and injured season
*Injuries
*Missing hard midfielders like Ward and Reid

What's gone right:
*Barry Hall has been pretty good for most of the season
*Jarrad Grant improves every game despite his bodies resemblance to Gollum
*Roughead will be a good player for the future and can play ruck today if need's be
*Easton Wood finally gets a go and adds much needed run out of defence
*Harbrow is a star
*Lake proving he can play forward or back
*Hudson having his best year for us so far
*Winning majority of games despite not playing near our best all year

mighty_west
24-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Agree, all season we have had injuries to key players, and it all started from round one missing Dale Morris, having Medhurst give Hargrave a bath.

Ward has been as bigger loss than anyone, Picken as well was costly, i guess the positive is that we have played out the first half of the season, with all of those injuries, and are currently 5th, breathing right down on the Pies & Dockers, i hope like hell, but also expect a far more switched on Doggies side for the rest of the season, and hopefully not lose too many more players to injury, whilst we know we have players that can come in and play their role, we just don't have the same quality depth as Geelong.

They are still dominating with both bookends out, how would we travel with both Bazza & Lake out of the side!

Cyberdoggie
24-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Agree, all season we have had injuries to key players, and it all started from round one missing Dale Morris, having Medhurst give Hargrave a bath.

Ward has been as bigger loss than anyone, Picken as well was costly, i guess the positive is that we have played out the first half of the season, with all of those injuries, and are currently 5th, breathing right down on the Pies & Dockers, i hope like hell, but also expect a far more switched on Doggies side for the rest of the season, and hopefully not lose too many more players to injury, whilst we know we have players that can come in and play their role, we just don't have the same quality depth as Geelong.

They are still dominating with both bookends out, how would we travel with both Bazza & Lake out of the side!

I tend to think you should expect injuries to occur.

If you get more than your fair share then that is unfortunate but realistically we could be far worse off. Touchwood let's say Lake, Cooney, Hall and Morris all go down with knee injuries where would we be at?

We have been lucky that all our injuries haven't been too serious and that we've been able to rotate players and try new players.

It's the best way to improve your depth for when you really need it.

FrediKanoute
24-06-2010, 11:00 PM
For me its been a frustrating first half of the season rather than a disappointing one. We have't played great footy, have missed key players at different stages, kicked horribly for goal etc.

Flamethrower
27-06-2010, 03:49 PM
For me way too much is read into the home and away season. It only exists for seeding purposes for when the real season starts in September. Whether we beat the other serious premiership contenders during the home and away season or not has no bearing on how finals games will play out.

Going into September with a settled side playing well and as few injured and underdone players as possible (especially key players - last year having Daniel Cross (ankle) and Dale Morris (leg fracture) less than 100% really hurt us) is as important at where you finish on the ladder.

LostDoggy
27-06-2010, 05:21 PM
For me way too much is read into the home and away season. It only exists for seeding purposes for when the real season starts in September. Whether we beat the other serious premiership contenders during the home and away season or not has no bearing on how finals games will play out.

Going into September with a settled side playing well and as few injured and underdone players as possible (especially key players - last year having Daniel Cross (ankle) and Dale Morris (leg fracture) less than 100% really hurt us) is as important at where you finish on the ladder.

Agree, as long as our list is sound and providing we finish above Fremantle im not to concerned what position in the eight we finish. In saying that it would be great to have the double chance but not season ending if we don't. With our best 22 fit we can go with anyone and I don't know if we would handle going straight into a prelim very well mentally.
Although it would be a nice change to find out!

LostDoggy
27-06-2010, 10:37 PM
...and I don't know if we would handle going straight into a prelim very well mentally.
Although it would be a nice change to find out!

If we can get there from here I would be very happy to 'find out' Rooner!

Remi Moses
27-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Slightly disappointed perhaps more frustrated than anything. Nice if we were 9 4,we need a big kill or even a medium size one like Hawthorn.

Positives- J Grant (real surprise packet
B.Hudson (probably behind Sandilands as the leagues in form ruckman)

Negatives- S.Higgins (needs more urgency time to pull the finger out)
R. Hargrave (not getting any run out of him)
Aker (starting to look like he's past his use buy date) To many off field distractions.I was going to stick Rocket in there for his lack of imagination but alas the last few games he mixed it up and we looked refreshed!

LostDoggy
28-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Positives- B.Hudson (probably behind Sandilands as the leagues in form ruckman)

If the beard keeps this up for the 2nd half of the year, at seasons end we may very well look back on 2010 as his best year ever for the club. At his age a remarkable achievement.

LostDoggy
29-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Hawks, Blues, Freo, Cats. 4 upcoming games that will either cement us in top 4 or struggle to stay in the 8.

LostDoggy
29-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Hawks, Blues, Freo, Cats. 4 upcoming games that will either cement us in top 4 or struggle to stay in the 8.

Good call Danstar, Want to win at least 3 out of the 4 to be taken seriously in September. IMO.

LostDoggy
29-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Exactly what I was thinking 3/4 is a must. 4/4 would be obviously ideal :D

BigDogChardy
29-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Im very disappointed so far... All the media hype didnt help keeping my expectations at a realistic level!!

We have been far too inconsistent to be a genuine contender for the flag... Sadly, unless we get our act together this year or within the next few we might be holding our breath for a while longer :confused:

LostDoggy
29-06-2010, 09:00 PM
We are still in the top 3 for the odds to win the flag. Even though we've only hit about 60-70% of our potential.

Dry Rot
30-06-2010, 12:26 AM

When was the last time we had the best (or top three) FB and FF?

mighty_west
30-06-2010, 11:33 AM

We had a pretty damn good combo in the 80's, Beasley's stats in the 80's speaks for itself, Tits Kennedy down the other end was also a very good full back, was probably never THE BEST, but definatly one of the toughest FB's going around.

Apart from that, apparently the Herb Henderson / Jack Collins combo did ok as well...;)

Greystache
30-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Certainly not in my lifetime. I think with the fitness issues Scarlett has had this year that Lake is now clearly the best FB in 2010. In terms of his term work, presence, and reliability to kick goals under pressure I'm not sure I'd swap Hall for any other permanent forward in the AFL this year either.

The Underdog
01-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Weren't we 6-5 at mid season?

8-5 at the bye is ok but it has felt like a season of disappointment so far. We have performed poorly against good teams (and Melbourne and Essendon), which makes our position feel somewhat false.
I guess the game that most disappointed me was the loss to Brisbane, as I didn't rate them before the season and obviously don't now. That and to blow the St Kilda game which felt like we blew it mentally against a team which we had under control.
My main issue is that, based on the last 2 seasons, I felt coming in to 2010 that no matter what, win or lose, this was a team that would always entertain, run it's arse off and attack. I loved our teams of the last 2 seasons for precisely this reason. Yet we have been mistake prone, benign, our midfield defence has been appalling and most of our attack has been through one source.
The failure of Akermanis and Eagleton to repay the faith has also been disappointing.
It's a bit wierd to feel this way about a season where we are still a chance for a top 4 spot but without a big improvement I can't see us getting near Geelong, St.Kilda or Collingwood.

I have enjoyed the improvement of Jarrad Grant and would have enjoyed Harbrow's games a great deal more if it wasn't almost certian he was leaving us.