PDA

View Full Version : Gc & gws

soupman
23-06-2010, 05:00 PM
The new Gold Coast and Greater West Sydney clubs.

What are you thoughts on them?
Their coaches?
The assistance they are receiving?
Who do you think they'll actually recruit?
Will they be successfull, and how soon?
What should their mascots be?
Will you take an interest in them?
Would you attend one of their games?
What jumper should they wear?

I'm actually quite excited about them coming in. I was a bit young in the mid 90's to really understand what was occuring with the new clubs and watch how they were set up, and this poses an interesting spectacle in seeing two clubs built from the ground up.

Personally I don't rate Keven Sheedy as a coach for GWS, and think he should have been employed as more of a marketing role for the club than as coach, perhaps something like an overseeing role. Guy McKenna I'm not in a position to judge.

There are a few threads over on Bigfooty regarding their macot and jumper designs, and Mero's are fantastic, as are some of the Wolves one's which I reckon would make a great mascot.

And yes, I will take an interest in them, and may even attend one or two of their games independent of the Doggies, but I don't anticipate following them with any real passion.

mighty_west
23-06-2010, 06:31 PM
It will be interesting to see how they go, but am not excited one way what so ever, all i see are 2 more sides making it harder for the Bulldogs to win Premierships.

Just like Brisbane, just like Adelaide, just like Port, just like Sydney, just like West Coast, in the meantime, after those sides won Premierships, the Doggies are still stuck on one! :mad:

Plus with all the draft picks & players they can take from us clubs that have been trying to grow & build lists over years to win a Premiership, they will most likely win 2 or 3 Premierships in say, 6 or 7 years, and leapfrog Footscray, just like all the other interstate sides.

AndrewP6
23-06-2010, 09:04 PM
The new Gold Coast and Greater West Sydney clubs.

What are you thoughts on them?
Their coaches?
The assistance they are receiving?
Who do you think they'll actually recruit?
Will they be successfull, and how soon?
What should their mascots be?
Will you take an interest in them?
Would you attend one of their games?
What jumper should they wear?

I'm actually quite excited about them coming in. I was a bit young in the mid 90's to really understand what was occuring with the new clubs and watch how they were set up, and this poses an interesting spectacle in seeing two clubs built from the ground up.

Personally I don't rate Keven Sheedy as a coach for GWS, and think he should have been employed as more of a marketing role for the club than as coach, perhaps something like an overseeing role. Guy McKenna I'm not in a position to judge.

There are a few threads over on Bigfooty regarding their macot and jumper designs, and Mero's are fantastic, as are some of the Wolves one's which I reckon would make a great mascot.

And yes, I will take an interest in them, and may even attend one or two of their games independent of the Doggies, but I don't anticipate following them with any real passion.

Good thread soupaman....here's my two cents:

I think for the good of the national competition, they had to bring them in. I hate all the assistance/allowances they've been given, I think they went overboard with those. I think that it'll be interesting to see how they go initially, and in the first couple of years. I'm all for them to get off the ground successfully, just not at the Dogs' expense ;) Wouldn't surprise if one of them won some premierships in their infancy.

I think Sheeds will be good for GWS, provided he can stick around long enough to see them in - his age being an obvious concern. McKenna seems like a good coach (not that I'm an expert!) and a good fit for a new club. I hate to say it, but I think GC will get Harbrow from us, and I think Gablett will go north too. That's as much as I've thought about their playing list. Maybe Campbell Brown or Jarryd Roughead too. Not sure about GWS, haven't given their list too much thought, to be honest.

Don't think much of the GC mascot (the lifeguard thing!) - it's worse than Robodog. Their jumper is very bright, isn't it? I'm thinking light blue/yellow for GWS...don't know why!

I'm not one for going to non-Bulldog games, I don't see that changing for GC/GWS. Might watch them on telly just for curiosity, that's about it.

Ghost Dog
23-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Don't think much of the GC mascot (the lifeguard thing!) - it's worse than Robodog. Their jumper is very bright, isn't it? I'm thinking light blue/yellow for GWS...don't know why!

I'm not one for going to non-Bulldog games, I don't see that changing for GC/GWS. Might watch them on telly just for curiosity, that's about it.

ROBODOG? What the......?

AndrewP6
23-06-2010, 09:55 PM
ROBODOG? What the......?

You know, our current and much-derided logo...I think "Life Guard Man" eclipses it for shitness...

soupman
24-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the incredibly gay life guard man is just the kids mascot, and won't actually feature in an official sense beyond what say Woofer does.

Some of the jumper propositions on Bigfooty are really impressive. For the Gold Coast the current TAC cup and VFL jumpers are horrible, but when they combine red and yellow it actually looks quite good.

As for GWS Bigfooty seems to be a fan of multiple shades of blue, as in a light blue and dark blue, representing the "blue collar workers" of the region. While there are already a lot of blue teams in the AFL, I think it looks great and would be very good visually against Sydney with their white.

Happy Days
25-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the incredibly gay life guard man is just the kids mascot, and won't actually feature in an official sense beyond what say Woofer does.

Some of the jumper propositions on Bigfooty are really impressive. For the Gold Coast the current TAC cup and VFL jumpers are horrible, but when they combine red and yellow it actually looks quite good.

As for GWS Bigfooty seems to be a fan of multiple shades of blue, as in a light blue and dark blue, representing the "blue collar workers" of the region. While there are already a lot of blue teams in the AFL, I think it looks great and would be very good visually against Sydney with their white.

Any chance of a link?

The Adelaide Connection
07-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Going off on a bit of a tangent here, I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I was thinking about this the other day and I think that another HUGE advantage that these teams will get is taking inside knowledge of EVERY club when they poach one uncontracted player from each.

They will have first hand knowledge of all the internal workings of the other 16 clubs, set plays/strategies etc, player information (strengths, weaknesses, personal info etc etc), training routines, etc etc. Clubs may be lucky enough to get this for a few teams when players change hands at the end of the year but to get this for every team is a massive, massive bonus.

AndrewP6
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Going off on a bit of a tangent here, I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I was thinking about this the other day and I think that another HUGE advantage that these teams will get is taking inside knowledge of EVERY club when they poach one uncontracted player from each.

They will have first hand knowledge of all the internal workings of the other 16 clubs, set plays/strategies etc, player information (strengths, weaknesses, personal info etc etc), training routines, etc etc. Clubs may be lucky enough to get this for a few teams when players change hands at the end of the year but to get this for every team is a massive, massive bonus.

Good point, well spotted! :mad:

The Coon Dog
08-07-2010, 04:37 AM

Whilst they have the ability to snare an uncontracted player from all 16 clubs, they won't. Scott Clayton has made it clear that they are only looking at getting a player from about half of the clubs.

Gold Coast will limit 'raid' to eight players (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6626)

soupman
08-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Whilst they have the ability to snare an uncontracted player from all 16 clubs, they won't. Scott Clayton has made it clear that they are only looking at getting a player from about half of the clubs.

Gold Coast will limit 'raid' to eight players (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6626)

I'm not sure about that though. They may state they are only going to "poach" 8 opposition players but I'm sure they'll grab a few more than that. As good as the young players will bve they won't want more than 50% of their match day squad to be under 21 years of age. I think they'll also pick up some of the fringe players through other means (draft, cheap trades) to give their list a bit more experience. Otherwise these spots will be filled by SANFL, QAFL, VFL and WAFL players. I just can't see them fielding a TAC Cup side with a few inclusions.

Ghost Dog
08-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm not happy at all. I just see our flag getting further away by another two teams that have to be beaten. Pretty worried about losing Harbrow. Will suck big time if we lose him.
But, good for the game overall I guess.

LostDoggy
08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know what we will get for him if he goes? Is it true we will get 2 first round picks that we don't have to use for 5 years?

The Boy From Brasil
10-07-2010, 10:58 AM
From an AFL competition strategic point of view, it is a really good idea to have the two new teams coming in and probably a no brainer.

From a doggies supporters point of view, it is not good as it lessens our chances of winning a premiership. Once we win a premiership then it won't concern me what happens to those clubs. But until we do, they are just two new soulless franchises coming into the competiton with a chance to steal lifelong memories from real AFL supporters.

It will be just a total waste of a year if any of those two clubs wins a premiership in the next ten years. Supporters from many traditional clubs have never ever seen their club win a flag. It would be injustice if these two clubs with all the AFL funding and draft picks wins one before they do.

Something I have always wondered though. Are the supporters from GC17 and GWS

a)people who have never supported AFL but follow the new team because of geographic loyalty

or

b)existing AFL supporters who have jumped off their own club to support the new franchise

I have always wondered what type of supporters they will have.

Scraggers
30-07-2010, 10:54 AM
*bump*

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere ...

Did anyone see GWS jumper ... Red White and Blue :confused:

http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/800/214053.jpg

divvydan
30-07-2010, 12:05 PM
It's no real surprise that they have the combination of those three colours as, like GC, it was done to allow the opportunity of a relocation for one of the poorer Mebourne based clubs (WB, Nth, Melb) but the type of blue and amount of it is a little eerie in this situation.

Mantis
30-07-2010, 12:11 PM
It is certainly going to be interesting viewing when they play us & North.

KT31
30-07-2010, 12:19 PM
It's no real surprise that they have the combination of those three colours as, like GC, it was done to allow the opportunity of a relocation for one of the poorer Mebourne based clubs (WB, Nth, Melb) but the type of blue and amount of it is a little eerie in this situation.

Not eerie, if this goes ahead it would be an absolute disgrace,.
Collingwood didn't allow it to happen with Port and nor should we.
:mad:

LostDoggy
30-07-2010, 12:23 PM
What KT says.

Scraggers
30-07-2010, 12:26 PM

The AFL is not looking to relocate a Melbourne based team having just signed off on an 18th licence

Totally agree

Scorlibo
30-07-2010, 04:50 PM

Agree, it would be outrageous. Why can't they just use a unique colour combination? It would work better for all involved. Maybe they could go for a Port Melbourne-like design?

KT31
27-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Bump.

Now that our season is over I would expect the club to protest the GWS colours.
Not a wimper.
How has the club let it get this far ?
We are the Tricolours and have been for over a century.

soupman
27-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Bump.

Now that our season is over I would expect the club to protest the GWS colours.
Not a wimper.
How has the club let it get this far ?
We are the Tricolours and have been for over a century.

I believe they are just the working colours until they get a jumper sorted. Surely they'll give with two different shades of blue.